March 2nd, 2010

'Idol' swap this week

testing captions
testing captions

“American Idol” will be mixing it up this week.

Instead of the women performing first on Tuesday night, Fox announced that, due “to medical issues which would prevent Crystal Bowersox from performing,” the 10 male semifinalists will perform instead.

The women will perform on Wednesday night, with the results show on Thursday. According to a press release, the switcheroo will only be in place this week and the women will perform next Tuesday night and the men next Wednesday night.

I don’t care who goes when as long as the group performs better than they did on week one. The Top 24 performances led to liberal use of the term “major suckage.”

And I wasn’t the only one who thought so. Many of you commented here that you were quite disappointed with the talent (or lack thereof) so far this season.

JC commented, “Of the 24, probably about 12 were really, really bad, another 6 were merely bad, and the other 6 were between ok and good.” Rob wrote: “Idol is terrible, terrible this season. Any of them could have gone home and it would have made no difference to me.”

Wow. It does seem like every season starts out kind of slow and then gets better. I hope season nine begins to pick up some steam soon.

Join CNN throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

1. Stain

The talent pool seems to be drying up. That, along with Simon leaving could spell the end of Idol. Simon obvioulsy understands Idol limited shelf life, otherwise he would be staying. I am debating contiuning to watch this season. Thank god for DVR, or I would not be able to sit through it this year.

March 3, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mary

i think ellen is a wondeful addition to the group of judges .

March 3, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dan

I agree with you again Just a Thought about Dewyze. He stood out last night and I thought Michael and Aaron helped their cause too.

March 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Just A Thought

Ellen, while I'm still not sure I like her – at least she was coming out with a few jokes last night...and maybe starting to feel more comfortable in her position. I'll give her some more time before I judge her; she might work out after all.

March 3, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Just A Thought

I agree, it is still early. There are a couple that are getting noticably better. I didn't get Lee Dewyze at first; but now seems like a front runner to win it all.

March 3, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. mushymushroom

can we just wait for the season to unfold, there's just too many things that can still happen,I guess what I'm trying to say is it's too early to tell if the season's line up will be a good one...

March 2, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pablo

Why is this show still on the air?
    American HYPE with Flahing lights, loud noise for no reason and average singing, at best.
    What's next, America Draws Circles with Pens. OMG !!!!

Listen to Susan Boyle or Mark Vincent for Australia's got Talent.
    True singing in the first 10 seconds everytime they open their mouth.

Quit wasting our time with American Idol and the Jokers of Judging.

How about sending Ellen & Simon to the Space Station next as Famous Astronauts...............

March 2, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. G Funk Era

I would rather watch Ishtar on continuous loop and eat stale rice cakes all day than watch this abomination of a show anymore. HOWARD PLEASE!!!

March 2, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. robert

Hopefully she can perform tomorrow.

March 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jross

I sure hope everybody steps it up this week because last week was a huge uninteresting disappointment. Snoozefests don't make for good tv and somebody better make the viewers sit up and take notice or people that actually have the potential to make it big are going to be going home. I disagreed with the vote to send the Hispanic guy home though, I thought he had a great voice. Tyler Grady was one of my favorites going in and I thought, now this guy is going to do some really creative stuff but instead he looked like he was sleepwalking through his performance. Here's hoping we actually get a show tonight.

March 2, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Billy

Idol is crap this season. Truth. The guest judges during auditions ranged from boring and useless to entertaining and useless.

As for Ellen, she's got good energy and gives honest feedback, so she adds some entertainment and compassion, But you can't complain about her as a "judge" now, because *YOU* are the judges - it's a phone-in popularity contest. The singing contest ended at Hollywood week, that's just how the show works. Now it's about who's cute or who has the most sway over people with big families and a lot of phone lines. I'm not complaining, it's just an observation.

We tivo Idol, watch the singing and skip most of the feedback and "personal journey" nonsense. I watch the show because I like hearing new singers. I could care less about their autistic kids or their dead parents - which sounds heartless, but those are the elements that make it a popularity contest. If it was a singing competition, then they would come out with no preamble or set-up, sing their song, say thank you to the audience, listen to the feedback, and hope for votes.

March 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LPLT

I'm glad that they are giving her a chance to overcome her diabetic coma. This was a serious situation, not just a cold or the flu or something of that nature.

Hopefully, it won't affect her in future weeks, either.

March 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mexicanpundit

Regardless that 2 latinos have been kicked out, I'll keep supporting Andrew Garcia. He won't win, but good singer.

What is the deal with that Kara hitting that blonde dude? not getting enough at home honey? Gee, she's making a fool out of her husband.

Stand up man! show her who's her daddy.

March 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jake

BAD, BAD, BAD says it all

March 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Idol CNN

Will American Idol bring back Michael Johns and Carly Smithson again? I LOVE them! What about Brooke White? David Archuleta? David Cook? The Seventh season was the best!

March 2, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jeremy

Well, its nice to see that AI is giving the contestant the opportunity to get better before taking the stage.

I just really hope that everyone steps it up this week. Last week was terrible.

March 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. BruceMpls

After last week's competition, if I were to choose the final 12, it would have been 10 women and 2 men. Crystal Bowersox is by far my favorite but I really question if she will win. I picture her as this season's Daughtry but certainly would love to see her win. I think it shows just how popular Ms. Bowersox already is, in the minds of AI, to switch the schedule just for her. The polls seem to substantiate it also: with 20 contestants left, she is the favorite of 1 in 4 people. Taking the other 3 people, that doesn't divide up very well for the remaining 19.

March 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sierra

So far there's no one I really like. It true that there's hardly any good talent this season. Hope it gets better.

March 2, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Girl Power

i dont agree that this season's choices are the worst group – AI has had worse winners than some of these folks

i hope Crystal is ok – she's one of my favorite of the girls

i like 4 of the girls and 3 of the guys

my problem with this season is Ellen as a judge

and sad that its Simon's last season – AI wont last without him