March 2nd, 2010

'24' on an action-packed streak

"24": Day 8 – 1 a.m. to 2 a.m.

After my unbridled enthusiasm for last week's episode of "24," I promised to "go Bauer" here at the office and I delivered. Throughout the day, after last week's episode, various colleagues made various statements such as "Shaquille O' Neal is having thumb surgery," or "I have NOT been watching Ellen Degeneres on 'American Idol.'"

To these random workplace statements and dozens of others, my response was "copy that."

I answered repeatedly in classic "Jack" style because like Bauerites far and near, I had every right to be energized and totally psyched for this week's episode based on the momentum of last week's show. I hoped that the season was building up to be the tense, action-packed, non-stop thrill ride we know and love.

Well, if last week's show was liftoff, this week sent me into orbit. It was another great show packed with a lot of the signature tension that makes me watch "24" season after season. One good show is a start, but two good shows is a streak, and "24" is officially on one.

I think the show has finally found consistent footing, and is headed in the right direction. Hey, its gotta be a good sign if I fist-pumped as Hastings stepped up on Renee's behalf right? Say again? Fist-pump for Hastings? Yes Bauerites, you heard me right: all aboard the Hastings' train.

His noble stance against Rob Weiss' instructions to railroad Renee got me thinking - this guy is alright. Bluetooth aside and poor posture notwithstanding (is that on purpose?), this Hastings guy deserves a chance. I shall hereby give him one.

Speaking of a chance, Agent Owens, or the "Jonas brother in the kevlar vest" as I like to call him, had a real chance to prove himself but just couldn't cut it. His anxiety made me nervous just watching him. As a matter of fact, my palms got sweaty just typing that.

Meanwhile, please add Farhad Hassan to my list of "hate-ables" for this season. The nuclear, fuel-rod stealing, double crosser only had to stay hidden a few more minutes until CTU arrived. He's shot twice and dies, and that just doesn't sit well with me. That's it buddy, you're on the list.

Conversely, I like President Taylor more as the season rolls along. She hasn't had a huge amount of dialogue in a few shows, but her stern approach to the crisis has been admirable, and she always seems to remain pretty graceful and concise. By the way, Cherry Jones (who plays President Taylor) is no slouch, and she's got an Emmy award and decorated acting career to prove it.

Plus, you gotta love the name Cherry Jones.

Last up: Dana (or Jenny, whichever you prefer). It was cool for the silly "Kevin/Dana subplot" to seemingly come to an end, but now it looks like its going to get messy. Unfortunately, Cole Ortiz is gonna get some of that mess on his clothes too, and that's NOT cool. Safe to say, he officially picked the wrong girl to settle down with.

Hopefully, the streak will remain intact and be extended to three in a row with another strong episode of "24" next week. Stay tuned Bauerites!

Loved, kinda liked, or hated the show? Let us know!

Post by:
Filed under: 24 • television

Next entry »
  1. Outlaw

Wow! Anyone happen to see today's news out of Iraq. Homicide bomber rides in the ambulance with wounded only to blow himself up at the hospital upon arrival. Eerie that we just saw this in the 24 script. I know there are always similarities but this is so odd given how precise and timing of it.
    Prayers for our troops over there!

March 3, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dia

It seems that 24 fans have short memories. Pretty much every season of this show has been uneven and had boring subplots (which they usually correct fairly quickly, as they've now done with the Dana storyline). There are always ups and downs. I have to especially laugh at those complaining about CTU always being a beat behind - that is one of the defining characteristics of this show and had been since season one! Jack ALWAYS gets there right after the guy dies, LOL. It's so odd to see fans complaining about stuff that has been there all along. That said, I don't think this is the best season ever, but it's hardly the worst (season 6 anyone?). Annie Wersching has been so amazing that she is practically single-handedly making parts of this season must-see.

March 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mimi

The only two weak plots I detected was when Farrad, after hiding & waiting safely all that time for CTU's rescue team to get there, he decides to get up and make a run, only to be shot twice and die. He couldn't wait a few more minutes! That was annoying.

Next was about Cole & Dana – why the cover up? Not necessary. In fact, they would have been better off leaving the two dead bodies as is, and then call the police. With both of them dead, Dana's worry about her past being exposed is over. Dana can simply explain that Kevin was an ex-boyfriend and that he threatened her life if she did not get them into the CTU volt. She complied, but later, with Cole's help, decided to take the matter into their own hands and try to apprehend Kevin & his partner from getting away. Then explain how Kevin was betrayed by his partner who stabbed him, and that's when Cole shot Kevin's accomplice before he escaped. This way, Cole is clean, and Dana, although not totally clean, will have to answer to a lesser charge with breeching the security code at CTU, etc. (co-worker has seen Dana meeting Kevin outside of CTU building). So she can't claim she doesn't know him.

By tampering with the bodies & tying the body with rock and throwing them into the swamp in order to hide their involvement is just too dump. Why jeapardize both their careers over the two dead scumbags? How are they going to explain their disappearance for all that time?

March 2, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Yvonne

I want to be entertained too, not put to sleep. But maybe I am expecting too much. Part of the problem is that 24 has set a very high bar for itself. I know all about waiting for the plot lines to develop, etc, etc. But with the brief exception of the episode where Renee stabbed Jack, I have just not felt that surprise and excitement I expect with 24 and I don't see anything in the plot or character development yet that suggests to me its going to get much better. I'm hanging in there a little longer- – I hope the remainder of the season proves me wrong because I love the show and I am going to miss it.

March 2, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. K

Agreed! This is a TV show. I don't want to worry about what is completely REAL or not; I want to be entertained!

One second people are complaining because Jack is too much like Superman and never slows down; the next second people are saying that it was lame for him not to go crazy on that terrorist kid and then just throw himself out the window after him. Huh? Then people say that this year is bad because it is too predictable, recycling stories from seasons past; next, they say that it needs to get back to stories/situations from the previous seasons. Yikes.

Whatever. I love the show. I love Jack. It is still one of the greatest series on TV. And if it is to be done this year, whether you are complaining now or not, come next year....you will miss it.

March 2, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. J

People, people, ALL of the "24' episodes starts out slow and then brings it on. That is what has kept all of us coming back for more each season. Yes, some of it may have become a little predictable but, it always, ALWAYS winds up giving us a twist.

March 2, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bagger

If you are looking for 'realism' and watching '24', then wondering 'why'....you got more issues than what is on TV.

'24' is for escapism. The show has always had its fast episodes and its plot episodes. Watch the first season again...same format.

'24' is still the fastest hour on TV. If you don't like it, don't watch. Otherwise, enjoy the ride!

March 2, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Overby

I just can't take Hastings seriously...I look at the guy and all I see is Bubba from Forrest Gump and I keep waiting for him to talk about another way to cook shrimp.

March 2, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cc

Love, love, love the show and Jack..................Very action packed. Can't wait until next week.

March 2, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Heather

Once a 24 fan, always a 24 fan. There are always elements of a season that I would change, but overall I love the show!! Sure hope they don't end it this season!!

March 2, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Yvonne

Maybe Nina will come back and shoot her. Sorry, just kidding.

March 2, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rocco

I have this horrible feeling that something BAD is going to happen to Renee. I mean if it doesn't does that mean that Jack and Renee can actually be together when this is all over? Given his past it doesn't seem like that. Jack is just too much of a tragic person for that to happen, so that leads me to believe that something BAD is going to happen to her.... I hope not!!!

March 2, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JA

Not once in last night's episode did anyone even ask about the whereabouts of Dana or Cole. Seems a bit odd since there was a huge crisis going on. If they don't care about them, why should we? I end with this one thought: MORE CHLOE!!! MORE CHLOE!!! MORE CHLOE!!!

March 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. VFL

The show is painfully bad! The Dana story is the WORST! and there is no way the new CTU agents could be so wimpy!! Where are the men? The PC police are running this show – awful.

March 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ronald

Pros: Finally Jack B. is back in the field and the 24 action has returned and a great episode.

Cons: Comercial
    Cons: Episodes to short

March 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jacksback7

Having seen every episode of this show since season one, there are those moments that make you jump our of your seat, scream, pump your fist or give a big "oh yeah!" and the past two weeks of 24 have definitely given me those moments. As a longtime fan of the show, you come to expect some early episodes to set the scene for the climactic episodes as we "Bauerites" have come to expect and love. The development of Hastings as a stronger, more involved character definitely got me out of my seat Monday night. Jack running the show with a team of young guns was refreshing from previous, experienced partners from seasons past (Chase, Tony, Curtis, etc...). At the onset, I hoped Cole Ortiz would take on that typical 24 "bad-ass" partner role we love to see. While the whole Dana/Jenny & Kevin subplot is definitely not my favorite of all time, I have faith in the writers to tie that weak and dragging story into the big picture just like they have in the past. I'm sure in the next episode or two Cole will play a big role and get right back into the thick of things with Jack in the field.
    Im still waiting for Chloe to take on a bigger role this season. I can never get enough of Chloe and I want to see those intense field operations where she gets Jack to where he needs to be just in the nick of time.
    Gotta love Hastings finally showing up and doing what we used to love about Bill Buchannon and other former heads of CTU.
    I love this show and even in his grandfather years, Jack is still doin' his thing, running the show and saving the day one hour at a time. Plus Renee is quite a catch! Cant wait to see where that goes!

PS. Love the blog and looking forward to next week already!!

March 2, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jaam

As a muslim american, I would like to point out single muslim women dont wrap their legs around their BF like the daughter of that muslim president. Only in america can you get away with caning for doin that

March 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Yvonne

Thank you Laurie! And btw JR, Chloe's husband is not dead. He is home babysitting because he got laid off from his job or something, which is why Chloe is back at CTU. What a waste of a smart, funny character. He and Chloe are good together.

March 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Yvonne

Dave that's a tough question. I probably have favorite episodes of several seasons. For example, its hard to beat the end of season one when Nina shot Terri- that still gives me goosebumps. But If I had to pick the season I'd most like to marathon, it would probably be Season 2. The season with Marwan, played by the guy from the Mummy, (I think that was season 5), is a very close second.

March 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Adam A. from Bellevue, Nebraska

I KNEW they were going to drag out the Dana/Jennie/Kevin/Cole/now apparently Kevin's dad storyline!

IT JUST WON'T END!

Ugh, now they're going to have to kill Kevin's dad, probably leading to Kevin's grandpa coming after them.

At least the rest of the storyline is okay?

March 2, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JR

I have watched 24 since the beginning. I was very disappointed when the first President Palmer died. I have never hated a character so early in the game as I have Dana (trash). How did she get her security clearance? Why is her hair hanging to one side? She's not pretty! And the poor Ortiz guy. She must have put something on him. I hope he come to his senses and realize he's dancing with the devil.

Chole' I love. She's been there for Jack since day one. Is she and Jack the only two original characters? Who is her husband? Didn't he die?

I did not watch last night episode because I was disappointed in last weeks episode. I'll watch next week since so many of you thought last night was a new beginning for our show.

Jack's not screaming as much this year!

March 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dave Yaeck

Hi OJ:

Yes, I knew he was going to jump out. Honestly I thought Agent Owen might have been in on it, because they looked so familiar. For many seasons there has been a sense of predictability I believe. As far as the sets, I actually remember in seasons 1 & 2 the police department facade was my building that I worked in as 24's main office was next to mine. I did not watch the show at the time but after I started I thought it was kinda funny. Now I'm kicking myself knowing that the first version of CTU was right next door. I think it's going to be a whale of a finish, especially since this is the last season.

March 2, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Dave Yaeck

Yvonne, I appreciate your feedback. What in your mind was the best 24 season? Just curious.

March 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Spooly-T

I'm on Team Chloe...

Give Chloe a big gun, she needs to be in the field!!!
    She's too geek-hot to be locked in CTU office.

March 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  25. OJ

I am a BIG 24 fan.. BUT it doesnt have that ZING anymore When they pulled up at the rear of the hospital ( which didnt look like a hospital at all) with the dead body pretending that the guy was still alive. that entire scene LOOKED SO CHEAP. i think thats part of the problem they said before the show was about to be canceled because of the outrageous amount of money it takes to make 1 show. i think they cut back on spending and it shows. look at the locations and the backdrops.. i think in seasons before 24 FELT BIGGER THAN ANY OTHER SHOW on tv.. but now its been reduced to something i cant qutie put my finger on.. and if u actually thought ferhad was going to make it back to ctu then you are NUTs and thats part of the prob. to PREDICTABLE. u knew that bomber was going to jump out the window didnt you?

March 2, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Laurie

Well, they had the perfect opportunity to create another Nina like woman with the Cole/Dana issue but no, they had to take what was turning out to be a great character (Cole, very Tony like) and turn him into a p*ssywhipped dork. He totally should have turned Dana in. As in "love ya babe but I'm not going to jail for you". It was nice ot see Chloe shine. You said it right, agent Owens made me nervous, too, but I did like when the 12 year old stoodup to the other 12 year old "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" style. Call me on it but I would not be surprised if Hassan's daughter is in on the whole enchilada, too. I was way disappointed in the whole hospital bomber thing, too. You could tell he was going to jump out the window and for those of you who think you can do that without breaking leg or seriously hurting yourself, try it. On asphalt ladies. Not grass. And no one left outside to cover? It reminded me of Monty Pythons Holy Grail when they send in the Trojan Cow and then the guy tells them they should be inside (they're all outside the castle...watch it, you'll understand). The most ridiculous, stupid part was when Renee CALLS JACK IN THE MIDDLE OF OPS... to say awww, thank you. Please, save tht sh*t fowhen he walks back in the door, bad guy in chains, gun in hand, then she can say thanks.

March 2, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Outlaw

Great show last night and we're back on track for the most part. A lot to like in my opinion from start to finish. I find it hard to believe that there are "fans" of the show on here offering such harsh critques.
    This season may have not stacked up to those in the past but it's heating up now for sure.
    There will always be an amount of "played out" effect and there will also be those moments where we find ourselves saying we've seen this plot before and can pick up on questionable realistic points within the storyline. That said, I think the end justifies the means. For example it pains me to see Farrad panic and go running out of cover to get himself shot but....we get to see a interesting new plot with some cat and mouse action develop between Jack and the terrorists.
    I hate to see the far fetched scenario with the suicide bomer escaping as already pointed out above through no perimter outside Farrad's hospital window and lock himself into a nearby chamber.....but we get see see a dynamic confrontation between Jack and this man which is sure to play out with some great human emotion and tortured decision making in the process.
    Personally for me, it's worth allowing some slack to the writers because the groundwork laid however silly or far-fetched can be for the greater good plot development down the road.
    Got me guessing on the Hassad's daughter thing. His story continues to build with many questions left unanswered.
    Way to go Pres Taylor, Hastings, and Chloe for showing out this week and stepping up their games!
    Let's hope this streak continues cause I'm loving it regardless of comparisons to previous seasons!

March 2, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Yvonne

We are all TRUE 24 fans. Who else would be this obsessed about it? But it doesn't mean I have to love what I feel is a mediocre season or that my patience won't wear thin.

March 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Randybidcaller

Oh another thing...Chloe is great and I agree she needs a bigger part. They also need to put a gun in her hand again. That was so GREAT when she blew the bad guys away back in Season 4 I think it was.

March 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Dave Yaeck

You know, I'm reading most of these post and to me they are not from TRUE 24 fans. If you really feel this season sucks..... Well then.... BYE! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I will agree, it's not as progressive as in previous seasons, but I believe that they are taking a much more mature approach to telling this story. Over the years, it's usually been pretty predictable as to what was going to happen. I don't believe thats the case this year. As far as the Dana storyline, do you all think that they would be stupid enough to put this in if it did not have any relevance to the over all picture? THINK AGAIN.... It was really nice to see Hastings Grow a PAIR this week and stand up for himself. But in my eyes, I believe that Rob Weiss has something to do with all of this. They are going to make for such an explosive Series Finale, that we will all be going to have surgery to pick up our jaws off the floor.

PATIENCE PEOPLE – JUST GOTTA HAVE PATIENCE!!

March 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. 24's out

Love the show since inception. Hate this season. It's just ridiculous. 18 year old CTU agent outside of hospital door waiting for the bomber and he's shaken/sweating because he's so scarred – are you f'ing kidding me. Is this the best CTU can hire. How unrealistic can you get. This is just one of a TON of examples I could give.

March 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Randybidcaller

I agree that the season is heating up. I love the Jack & Renee story line. I just wonder how they are going to get Renee back into the story. You know they will. Well Jack is in all the way now.
    24 RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Every Monday I unplug the phone, turn off the cell phone and put two, not one but two, 'Do Not Disturb' signs on my front door just so I can watch 24 without interruption. I can't wait until next week.

March 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. robert

Is Obama up at 1am talking to foreign ministers? I just think that the story needs to be mostly Jack and the bad guys. It does look like that Renee has gone away!

March 2, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. vongsavat

jack bauer is bad ass....

March 2, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  35. murph

Hey people it is tv. Don't try to analyze it so much, relax and enjoy. I would hope its not realistic with all the threats that Jack has thwarted over the years it would be scary to think about that really happening as we go on about our lives.

March 2, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  36. Bmo

Wait... Steven "Jimmy James" Root is going to be a guest star next week?

HA!

March 2, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  37. Yvonne

I hope I'm wrong and it gets better. Re Dana subplot, 24 always has an annoying subplot (who can forget the Kim subplot in Season 2), but usually there's so much else thats great that it doesn't matter- in fact, its a kind of break from the tension. This season, the subplot strikes me as no more or less interesting than the rest of the show, which is not saying much. At this point, I just want to know if Jack gets the girl (Rene)- alive, and if any more past season folks are going to make appearances. Is Nina really, truly dead? How about President Palmer- didn't they leave him in a coma? Or the terrorist in, I think, Season 5- was it Marwan? My favorite villian after Nina. And where's Chloe's husband – he had a lot of potential as a character. I think the writers need a prior season (1 through 3 and 5) marathon for some inspiration.

March 2, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  38. Revo

Love the show, and this season has been fine.

My only real gripe is the show is supposed to be in real-time; after all, that's its claim to fame. Yet it's become clearer this 'real time' is actually 'real TV time.' For example: Marjid calls the president's daughter and says meet him at the hotel in 10 minutes. Now this guy has no idea where they are in NYC (after all, he's just a bodyguard visiting) and after getting out of the car, miraculously found his hotel and somehow checked in, and was already putting things away when she arrived.

In addition, Marcos was told "it's time," yet in just a handful of minutes was able to a) strap on the bomb (unless he wears it all the time); b) changed into doctor's scrubs, which they somehow had on hand; c) drive to the hospital, and somehow knew exactly which one it was; and d) found the right entrance.

If they want to continue the real-time schtick, at least try and make it somewhat believable.

March 2, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  39. CassHintion

Advid fan of 24 since the first hour! I loved the episode and I hope Jenny/Dana doesn't take my gorgeous and talented Ortiz down with her. Jack is definitely back!

March 2, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  40. Bring Aaron back

The franchise has gone down hill since last season. The presidential family is not carrying any weight, and in this season they got away from having a presidential family. I don't like it. Also, they need to allow some people to live...this season.. so they can have more people coming up... They have lost alot of familiar people... (24 normally kills people off) but this time they lost the people they hoped to retain in the past 2-3 years and it shows.

Also, Jack wouldn't have been stunned by a security guard (that looks like a rent a cop) that he "didn't see" the other week.

March 2, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  41. Lewis

We have just completed hour 10. People who are ready to write off the show just don't have a clue. We have not even seen the real villain yet! 24 has layers, as it has always had layers. It's more than just action, its an adventure! Go get'em Jack! – Roger that. . .

March 2, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  42. Craig M

One major sticking point on the sub plot of Dana/ Cole /Keving sub plot. One that it is horrible and adds nothing to the story, but when Cole blasted Kevin's psycho friend, the only thing he had to do was throw the shotgun in the swamp, the other guy killed Kevin and no body else was around.
    He then could have said "let's go we have a crisis to handle and be gone, the end. Why try to revive or bury the bodies, dumb, dumb.

March 2, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  43. Yvonne

Hated this episode even more than the last. I was so bored that I ended up reading a book while I watched the show. That's a bad sign for a show that once kept me completely riveted every week. Its just way to predictable and has lost its edge. I'd rather watch DVDs of prior seasons. Sorry to say that if it doesn't get any better in the next two weeks, I won't be watching – at least until the final few episodes ( still die hard fan, so I can't miss the end of the series).

March 2, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  44. ME623

Yesterday's episode was definitely a good one. Especially when Hastings let Weiss have it about Renee'. Alright for the head of CTU standing up to White House Chief of Staff. Not only did he let him have it, but he hung up on him too!!!! Hanging up on the White House, that's some stuff there. LOL I haven't yet figured out what's going on with President Hassan's daughter and his chief of security. There's something dirty with them, I just can't figure it out. Now for Cole and Dana (Jenny), I don't know what to say. Cole must really love her, because he's just as dirty as she was now, if not more. I want to see how they explain their absence to Hastings, they've been gone for the past few hours. HMMM!

March 2, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  45. John R

If you're going Bauer you gotta say "We're outta time!"

March 2, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  46. pam

Well, let me just say this. Last season, I stayed glued to my seat for the entire hour. I did not want to miss one line spoken by the cast. Last night, I got up when the show resumed "after" the commercial and got a snack. I am not giving up on 24, but this reminds me of the show a few seasons ago, when each week I said maybe it will be better next week. After, 22 hours it was not better and the finale was horrible. I have to agree with one of the others that this should be the last season. Maybe, they should have done it last season, that would have taken the show out with a bang!

March 2, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  47. monique

I'm still waiting for 24 to pick up steam- it usually really gets going as the season progresses. That being said, Dana must go- there is not a shred of sympathy for her character ( the one you feel sorry for is Cole...) I will always watch, but have to admit, I'm not at the edge of my seat yet this season...

March 2, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  48. funnygirl

What i want to know when Dana strolls back in to CTU is Hastings going to fire her and Cole? Hes not an understanding guy. Or will something happen that Hastings need both of them?

March 2, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  49. stoccata

After a rocky start, I really felt that the old 24 was back last night. Still some major issues. With all their secret ops experience, the best solution to taking care of the bodies was to put rocks in the sleeping bags? What about the van? Good to see Hastings adopt some stature and take an ethical stand. The signature 24 tension was back although they aren't using the cliffhanger to the level they used to. There will always be those "oh come on!" moments that stretch real-world credibility but hey, it's 24. I thought the bomber was going to jump too but Jack had to let him go so we can bring in the "I love my mommy angle" next week. Ever notice how easily a body sails through plate glass when it's a stunt guy going for the ride?

March 2, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  50. Steve

Horrible season so far. No action, dumb subplots, poor use of characters (Renee).

/sigh...very disappointing.

March 2, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  51. Pearcat

Great show!! Get rid of Dana. Way to go Hastings! Want a better story line for Ortiz. Develop President's role – she's the best president so far & she needs more air time. Hope Jack & Renee get together!

March 2, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  52. Mr Pharmicist

What is up with the 'we got here too late cuz the guy just died' plot? First Renee kills one guy, then Farhad is taken out, and now it looks like bomb guy is going to off himself unless we can break into the chamber in time (not!)?? CTU is always a tick behind. Not very creative.

March 2, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  53. xx

I agree, I used to LOVE it, but last night spisode made me HATE it, thats it ... no more 24 for me, come..on, the suspect could escape that easily jumping out o the window when Jack had a gun in his hand ????? couldnt he shot in hos legs or something ???? becoming boring ..... done watching 24 ...

March 2, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  54. gary

The best show on TV today. Enough said.

March 2, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  55. Southlander

Isn't this the last season of 24? Then, I thought they were going to cap it all off with a Motion Picture... With that said, this should be the last season of 24. The writing is terrible, and the subplots are ridiculous. And, pay close attention to the "Real Time" events. Some of this stuff could not possibly happen within the time it happens in an episode. Because I have watched every season thus far, I admit, I will not stop watching this season, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Watch a REAL show. Southland, Tuesday at 10:00 EST on TNT. Damn good show!

March 2, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  56. Sir Lord

Do remember that all major cast members took a page from the book written by One Jack Bauer Himself titled,"Take a Stand" on an issue that you care about!

March 2, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  57. Karen McConnaughey

Love 24. Hate the Dana plot, and am really annoyed that it looks like she's going to drag Ortiz down with her. What a bite. I saw him as the future of 24 when Kiefer gets a little less energetic! They would make a great team. Freddie Prinze deserves better!

March 2, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  58. Lee

The real 24 is back, not sure what last season was as it wasn't the 24 die hard fans know and love. But it's back on track and better and hotter then ever.

March 2, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  59. MarkE

"And the escape into the decompression chamber – wanna bet that the idea to reduce the air pressure to make the holdout pass-out will also cause a moral crisis ("but that could kill him")."

Actually that looks like a hyperbaric chamber to me. They're used to place patients in an environment where they are exposed to high atmospheric pressure in a pure oxygen environment. It forces oxygen into the tissues at a high rate and it's usually used to treat carbon monoxide poisoning and extensive burns.

So yeah....I doubt they're gonna fire it up with him in there. Pure oxygen + explosives = not good.

March 2, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  60. wm scot

I am a huge fan of this show ! But I have to admit this year does not have the same punch and the privious years. I think it could be the last year this will be on unless they get something going. It is just to predictible. But then again I thought Shutter Island was too ! Guess I watch to many movies.

March 2, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  61. Bring Aaron back

I'm still waiting for Aaron to come out of retirement. This isn't 24 without the legendary secret service agent.

March 2, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  62. Tavo

This is the worst 24 season ever, last night was the last nail in the coffin, really bad writing, no twists, no story, really boring, thanks for giving me credit on my Jar-Jar Binks/Dana-Kevin comment,
    I'll see you next year in this blog, hopefully we will have better writers for this amazing show, I'm done for this season, not worthing watchin....

March 2, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  63. Matt

The show is terrible this season. Any 24 fan, like this blogger, is in complete denial if they dont think so. Just action doesnt do it, it needs interesting storylines. Like for instance, the first half of last season until Jack got poisoned which ruined the season.

March 2, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  64. The Twilight Zone

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone because I coulda swore I watched an episode last night that had Chloe and team disarming a suicide vest via a wifi laptop 20 miles away. Don't worry though, the suicide bomber was still able to dive through a plate glass window, evade CTU's joke of a "perimeter" and climb into an unprotected medical vault that has brittle metal poles inside.

I watch this show because I've watched every season since it's debut many years ago, but I do so to laugh at the ridiculous stuff the writer's come up with next. Unfortunately, they are just recycling past story lines and anyone who has watched the show should be able to identify that. Just like Heroes, this show is more of a comedy than an action/drama.

March 2, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  65. I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It

@ MikeC – I agree. This should be the last year of 24. The show has run it's course.

March 2, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  66. Tab

I'll admit I truly enjoyed the show last night. They brought the real "24" that I like so much back to the surface. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. As far as Dana/Jenny she could vanish into thin air and I really wouldn't care. As far as Ortiz I hope he gets out of this mess he has gotten hisself into w/her and become a great character that I thought he was becoming until this ridiculous storyline. I hope he drops her for being a liar and a fake and not really being all that pretty and become a powerful person in the show. I am so happy Hastings has learned to run CTU his way and not follow the lead of that guy who works for the president. He finally took some initiative which made the show even better. Also Farrad is such an idiot. All he had to do was wait like 2 minutes for CTU. I'm glad he's dead b/c he didn't prove to be a good villain anyway.

March 2, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  67. Tab

I'll admit I truly enjoyed the show last night. They brought the real "24" that I like so much back to the surface. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. As far as Dana/Jenny she could vanish into thin air and I really wouldn't care. As far as Ortiz I hope he gets out of this mess he has gotten hisself into w/her and become a great character that I thought he was becoming until this ridiculours storyline. I hope he drops her for being a liar and a fake and not really being all that pretty and become a powerful person in the show.

March 2, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  68. 25th hour playhouse

gimme a break – you got Farrad telling you he is being hunted and he is willing to rat out the baddies who are in the area – and you take the Escalades? Where are the helicopters? Ooops – we get there too quick and the show is over 16 hours too early.

Also ready for Hassad's daughter to find out her darling has something going on to warrant somebody coming to her aide.

Jenny/Dana storyline being wasted on Sackhof – would really liked to have seen her being used as a kick-butt agent not as a girl with demons.

Show needs some new writers.

March 2, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  69. steve sles

Finally Jack's back in the field and the 24 action has returned. A great episode.

March 2, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  70. Kevin Cassidy

i'm a die hard fan and i hear what you're saying about Hastings and the Dana / Jenny plot, but one thing I've learned from previous seasons is never assume anything

any character that seems to be good can turn out to be bad and vice versa – we're obviously supposed to hate Weiss ... will he surprise us? the fact is you just never know for sure until the final outcome

that's one of the many reasons i'm on the edge of my seat every week, totally engrossed while the forums and the blogs ring with the typical "jack's not a bad ass like he used to be" nonsense

24 is a complex drama, not a kiddy ride ... give it time
    the clock is ticking ....

March 2, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  71. Duane

I liked this episode and I am glad that Hastings finally showed some backbone dispite his poor posture. I was a little disappointed in Jack though. With the bomb deactivated and his weapon out of bullets, why didn't Jack just rush the guy before he jumped out of the window. Anyone could see that he was going to jump. Come on Jack, we expect more.....

March 2, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  72. RichieC

Still the best show on TV. Come on Grogin, give it a chance. TV is TV. Dana and Jenny are real life, everyone knows somebody that has messed up real bad and the boyfriend/girlfriend tries to cover up. The question is now, how does he get out of the mess. The reason this show is so popular is it always has 3-4 subplots going at once. And Chloe is my girl, the ought to give her a larger role. She saves Jack's ass on a regular basis and sucks up to noone.

March 2, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  73. MikeC

I stopped watching last week. I am done. The president stinks, Dana stinks,hastings stinks, everything reeks. Burn Notice is 20 times better and where 24 was 3 years ago. This should be last season.

March 2, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  74. Grogin

Wont post a long tirade on this one either, the only highlight of this train wreck of an episode was Hasting FINALLY growing a pair. The rest of the sub plots were predictable and boring. I think everyone will agree we could careless about Dana/Jenny and for that matter Cole covering up her dumb mistake.

My vote is obvious- Hated the show. I think one of the other posters last week summed it up better then I can, "they must have killed the original writers of this show".

March 2, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  75. I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It

I'm vibing the storyline with Jack and Renee and I loved the new recruit being held hostage by the bomber. They should keep this guy around for a couple of years. But I go comatose with Dana's storyline and it just created a black hole that Cole Ortiz's character fell into. This is a waste of a great character for Ortiz because there was so much promise there. What were the writers thinking???

March 2, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |