March 1st, 2010

DeGeneres gets to pick the next Cowell

testing captions
testing captions

Move over Simon Cowell, because there is another power player on “American Idol.”

In an interview with TV Guide Magazine scheduled to hit newsstands on March 4, new “American Idol” judge Ellen DeGeneres talks about her role on the show and the part she’ll play in picking Cowell’s successor.

"Oh yeah,” DeGeneres said in response to a question as to whether she gets a vote on who replaces Cowell. “That was part of [what was discussed] when I came in.  Cause we all had a suspicion that Simon might leave. Nobody knew for sure, but we made sure that I'd have a big [say] because that's important to me."

And that replacement won’t be shock-jock Howard Stern, despite all rumors to the contrary, DeGeneres said.

"No one knows where that came from,” she said. "I'm a part of that next person coming in, and I've had talks with Simon Fuller and a few people over at Fox. We have people that we're thinking about, and we want it to be a really exciting name and someone who would add something different to the panel."

Stern has had some less than kind words for DeGeneres, who she says can “engage in his own fantasy conversation.”

As for whether she gets along with the prickly Cowell, DeGeneres characterized him as an OK chap even though she said she doesn’t always agree with his style of critiquing.

"He's a nice guy but he's also really mean to people [in a way] that I think goes beyond just constructive criticism,” she said. “It becomes almost taunting, which I don't like."

1. michael

The idols just started singing the black eyed peas and I just turned it off. How can anyone take this schmaltz with any degree of respect or artistic legitimacy. If this crap music is the pinnacle of American pop culture, we are so screwed.

March 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. anna

Ellen is pathetic on AI. She's never made any worthy comments on anyone's performance. Who pushed this lesbian lady without any musical background to the show?

March 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dave in Connecticut

I thought ellen would be allot worst than what she is. She is funny and empathetic, which adds something. As for he picking the next Simon, well, I hope she goes for someone as educated an experienced as Simon, which there are allot out there to choose from. Paul Schaffer (Rolling Stone Mag.) for instance, perhaps Sharon Osbourne or even Ozzy himself. It has to be someone who has produced or sung music successfully for years. P. Diddy?

March 4, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sherri

I like Ellen on the show as a judge much better than I've ever liked Kara. She's refreshing, funny and she shows CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Kara just seems like a pushy, 'look at me, here I am' type of person. Quite the turnoff.

March 4, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sherri

"WTH? Stupid is as stupid does. American Idol is a sinking ship that is grasping at straws. The only way to give the show another life is to can Ellen and bring in music professionals for a change!"

Oh, Really? Is that why it rocked the ratings AGAIN this week?

March 4, 2010 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dorothy

My choice for Simon Cowell's replacement is music producer,
    and wonderful musician, DAVID FOSTER.......He would be such
    an asset to A.I.

March 3, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. Liz

Was completely in love with Neil Patrick Harris as a guest judge & immediately thought he should replace Simon. Hire NPH!!

March 3, 2010 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. sue calgary

Watched Idol tonight. Just confirmed what almost everyone else on the planet is saying. Ellen MUST GO!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kat

Yeesh! I love Ellen but it's not working for me and from what I'm reading, not too many others....too bad, I thought she was going to add something.
    I like the Russell Brand idea with Katy Perry. Katy and Kara cat fight on the panel, now that's entertainment!

March 2, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NolaNative

American Idol's dying. Bringing in Kara, firing Paula, and bringing in Ellen is the beginning of the end. Simon leaving is death. Like his method or not, most often he was right.

March 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jegg

Well, I do not believe I will be watching Idol after this season. Getting rid of Paula was strike one; getting Ellen was strike two and Simon leaving will be strike three. Bye, it's been a wonderful ride.

March 2, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jackson

Ellen blows on Idol.

March 2, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Angel

They need to pick someone who has made superstars and knows the truth about what it takes to be successful as a singer and a business person in the industry...a person...like in this order...the great Quincy Jones...Clive Davis...David Foster, ...even Gloria Estefan would bring some fun...etc. PLEASE pick someone with the business background or you will really have a loss of viewers. The show will turn into just another talent show. But I am sure it will come down to $$$ salary. Can idol actually afford the talent needed to balance the judges table????

March 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Andi

I don't think AI will be around much longer. Gene Simmons would be a great replacement for Simon but I can't imagine him putting up with Ellen. She has no music experience and does not belong on that show.

March 2, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Marquis

Howard Stern is the only one that can SAVE this show.

March 2, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Cheryl

Somebody should be working on Ellen's replacement. She is such a dud on the show. Maybe they could get someone with a musicial/singing background to judge a singing contest. I don't know. It's just a thought. If the show continues, Simon's replacement needs to be a big name producer that will tell the truth and not sugar-coat his/her critiques like Randy, Kara, and Ellen. Simon calls it like it is, not like people would like it to be. I am looking forward to seeing X-Factor.

March 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. sue

Ellen is out of her league on this show. She should give it up.

March 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. jackie

Ellen is doing a fine job on Idol. Her comments are right on, and show a knowledge of and an appreciation for music that I had not expected from her. She is refreshing and gives her critique with honesty and kindness. As for the 'deer in headlights' look that some have ascribed to her – that is just Ellen and it is just how Ellen looks. I think she looks very comfortable, and I look forward to seeing lots more of her on Idol.

March 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. togo

Tell me, is it me, or is the lack of talent evident to everyone else this year?

The judges now just give their opinions – the people vote, so what does it matter what they say!

March 2, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dori

How about Justin Timberlake?

March 2, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. gina

I love Ellen, but now with Randy being the only original host, they should just end AI while it's still on top.

March 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. cr

Ellen has no business being on Idol. She has no experience. If she calls what she does dancing, that is not a requirement. They just hoped by brining on Ellen they would get her following. I quit watching Idol because of her. Everytime she opend her mouth about experience, makes me dislike her more.

March 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. what?

Who the hell does Ellen think she is? She's an 11th hour add-in who adds absolutely nothing to the show, and yet she talks about it like she owns the show. We don't need anyone to represent "the voice of America" b/c America gets to vote. Go away Ellen. Go away.

March 2, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Holli

Ellen, you and your man vests can go to hell. You are freakish and weird. Why would you have a say in the new judge????? Who died and made you Lesbian King of Idol????

March 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  25. LD

BaBaBooey

March 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mooby

I wish Ellen would bury her head in the sand. The world would be a lot less annoying.

March 2, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  27. iowaguy

You may not like Simon's 'taunting', but without that there would be no show. I don't give Idol much of a future without Simon.

March 2, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sydney

"Idol" won't die because Simon Cowell's leaving....."Idol" will die because Ellen is sooooo bad!. Her fumbling bumnbling repeating the same thing overr and over and copying the critique of the others sends me to the kitchen for a nosh and may eventually send me to another channel!.

March 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. iDol4-U

I say Steve Wonder, his judgement will be truly based on sound and no how the contestants look. He'd be the moost unbiased.

March 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Joe Aniston

I'd love to see Gene Simmons as well. He'd be a perfect fit and would most likely chase Ellen off the show, if for no other reason than for just being Ellen. He wouldn't be as nice to Ellen as Simon has, that's for sure. Yes, folks, Simon's actually been quite nice to her. It's his last season and as time goes by, Simon's upcoming exit and absence will eclipse Ellen's presence. The rest of them will be hearing crickets if another season is in the works.

She's not qualified for A.I. But, she's excellent for her own talk show.

I say, ONWARD TO X-FACTOR USA!! Be seeing you Simon (and Paula)!!

March 2, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Linda

Good grief people! Did you read the article? She will have a "SAY" in who replaces Simon, as will Randy and Kara. The producers will pick the person to replace Simon.

March 2, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. David

Mick Fleetwood – he knows talent when he sees it.

March 2, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Todd

I agree that David Foster would be an excellent choice. Also, (even though it may impossible to get him) Andrew Lloyd Webber would be a fantastic addition to the panel.

March 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Canadagold

Russell Brand and Katy Perry....oh ya baby!!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mary Ann

I like Ellen but keep your day job girl.

March 2, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  36. team101

I wish AI would go away already, its run its course especially now that two of the original judges are gone after this season. Bringing Ellen on was a mistake, she should stick to comedy and her talk show and keep out of the music world – and she totally has the deer in headlights look. I agree with the statement above saying Ellen sure has let all this go to her head and she's becoming so cocky now.

March 2, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  37. kirk

i think fox just shot theirself in the butt,what american idol is, is because of simon, his critism is what make the show. sorry but this might be the last show. look at britain got talent, and the x factor these show are going to keep on going, because they're not about to screw that up. in order to save idol they need to really look at who they put on that panel now stern, whould be a complete disaster, i would have to change the channel. fox would need to put a list together and let america vote who they want to see as judge. as for fox network picking we already see who they get don't get me wrong but kara, and ellen don't bring nothing to the show. quit being cheap, see what it brought you. you would have been better off giving paula her raise. here a list i think would keep the show a hit reba emmy lou harris dolly shania twain
    maria osborn wayne newton mel tillis garth brooks even ozzy they would bring veiwer, so put a list together and let america votewho they want so america idol future depends on who sitting on that panel. so don't screw it up . good luck

March 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  38. MJ

I agree with the others. Neil Patrick Harris did a great job when he helped judge. I hope he is in the running!

March 2, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Linda

This was the worst Top 24 line-up ever. It kills me when the judges critize them saying they won't make it to the next round when THEY are the ones that put them in the top to begin with. Go Ellen! I think she's great.

March 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Stan

I like Gene Simmons,David Fostor or another record producer to replace Simon. Everything David Fostor touches turns to gold,but he just might be busier then Simon. I think that Ellen should be replaced with a industry female who either writes,sings,produces or does some of each. I am a chef not a singer so I judge on what I am trained in cooking, not singing. Ellen is a talk show host to interview people about careers or of the sort not a critic on singing.

March 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. dorothy

Ellen sucks on Idol. She needs to go back to what she does best, her own show. Heck I have more musical experience than she does. She will be part of picking Simon's replacement. Give me a break.

March 2, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Norma

Ellen is letting all this go to her head! She is not music smart, every
    contestant is told "I really like you" After Simon leaves I am done with the show, she is dragging it down horribly. Lets see, she is doing a talk show, commercials, and A. I. when is enough enough for her. Plus she always wants free things for her, her wife, or her momma. I stopped watching her show a couple of years ago, she seems greedy.

March 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Don

Howard Stern? What a piece of crap.He's the reason i quit pay radio

March 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  44. blackcurry

Vegan, I like the idea of Reba McIntyre as an AI judge. She is music savvy and has a great sense of humor. She would be a fantastic addition to the show

March 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Renee'

Ellen does not belong on American idol. She stutters alot and does not have good comments. You have to be tough and honest if you want to be like Simon. He tells it like he sees it which makes him a good judge. i will miss Simon and his shooting from the hip. This will be the last season i watch.

March 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. leftie3

This has got to have already been asked, but what freakin'experience does Ellen evern have to be a judge or to have any say about who would replace Simon? She hasn't got a clue about music other than to "bop" around whenever music is playedand AI has lost my interest in watching. It has become intolerably boring and I couldn't care less about what Ellen says or tries to imitate. Can you say it America–TAKE HER OFF!!!

March 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Susan

Ellen is not qualified to judge and should exit the show now. Only three judges are needed. For her to have a say in Simon's replacement is absolutely absurd!
    Bring back Paula.
    Keep Cara and Randy – both are qualified as judges IMO.
    Let Simon have a big say in his replacement. I think David Foster would be great.
    If Ellen isn't removed from the show soon, I really think it is doomed.
    While she is wonderful on her own talk show, she is also dooming that one as well.

March 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  48. K-

NEIL PATRICK HARRIS !!!

March 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  49. John

I would love to see Neil Patrick Harris replace Simon. I thought he was excellent as a guest judge.

March 2, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. betsy

I agree with Jesse. Neil Patrick Harris for the next AI judge! I would never miss an episode! We should start a campaign on Facebook....

March 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Dan

Russell Brand!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Response to Donna

You people, Ellen apparently included, have no clue as to why AI has become such a runaway hit. You think it is because of the talent that is showcased? Partly, but the show builds up towards the talent showcase by choreographing scenes with delusional characters trying make it. They are so painful to watch that without Simon putting it in perspective with his snark, it would be unbearable. His comments to the "talent" as well is integral to the show's success. Whether you agree with him or not (and for the most part, while he can be a little rude, he is usually right) you are always waiting to hear what he says. Randy is a vapid cliche machine who's sphere of knowledge rests with his experience as the roadie backup bassist for Journey. Kara is critiquing people who exceed her own talent level and she is keenly aware of that, thus she goes with obvious criticisms and nit picks. Ellen is a colossal waste as a judge and would have been best served as a once off guest judge. The works because of Simon. Unless AI brings in someone who people will wait with anticipation to hear their thoughts (there are not many who "qualify" since everyone likes to talk about who is qualified), this show is done. Who would you rather watch if it was in the same time slot, X-factor with Simon and two "whoever" as judges, or AI with Ellen, Kara, Randy and "whoever". People laugh, but for every one person that a Howard Stern type person would turn off, he would bring in 3 new people who never watched the show...

March 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  53. AMAZONIA

two words: Mr. Tomahawk – from the best reality show EVER,called: SUPERNOVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS IT. Hey, Ellen, get out of there......

March 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Bonnie DiBello

My pick to replace simon............David Foster. Someone who knows something about music and singers. He would be wonderful.

March 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  55. betsea

I really hate to see Simon go, he makes watching interesting though sometimes he goes too far. I thought I would like Ellen on Idol but for some reason I don't, her comments are repetitive. I just think she looks out of her element. I know they said this year the talent was the best ever, but it sure hasn't show me that. I am very disappointed in the level of performances. Last year's talent was way better!
    I do think David Foster would do a great job. I saw him judge a singing competion on Oprah and he was tough but fair. He didn't coddle anyone. Gene Simmons might bring some fun to it, he would be pretty much as brutal as Simon probably. Let's just hope the singing gets better!

March 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Dave

This song is over. Ellen will also be blamed for the destruction of American Idol.

March 2, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Barney Stinson

Jesse and Guy B. got it right!

**********NPH***********

March 2, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Sharron

My daughter and I both would love Neil Patrick Harris!

March 2, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  59. s

Ellen will ruin AI. She needs to go. They need someone with a music background, has produced before and knows what it takes for a person to make it in the biz. That leaves out a lot of folks.
    And Simon has to be mean becuz some of those contestants dont have friends to tell them they cant sing.

March 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jayson

There is no other choice but Howard Stern!!!! People will watch AI for the same reasons they watch it to see Simon's Opinion. Ellen has as much personality as a Box of Hair.

March 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  61. SUE T

I think Ellen as a judge was a huge mistake by AI. I like Ellen, I think she is funny but this is not the right forum for her. Simon will be sorely missed. He definetely is very harsh but what do you think these people who make it through to the end will encounter out in the music world. It will be very tough and 100 times more harsh than SImon's words. He is just trying to prepare them for this journey called "the music industry"! Simon is THE only reason I watch Idol anymore. Ellen says the same thing to every contestant and she LIKES everyone, which is great but it won't get them a music deal!! Sorry Ellen but you have to go!

March 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Not an Ellen fan

Johnny Cash should replace ELLEN. She ruined the show. He would do a better job, even where he's at.

March 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  63. siren4song

Hmmm...aren't we important. Honestly? I'm seeing a side of Ms. D on this show that puts me off. She is delusional if she thinks her opinion matters, and I'm going away when Simon does. I agree with Lisa. I'm getting tired of the deer in the headlights look and hearing how 'you' were um, pushing'. I'm starting to really dislike her. I've stopped watching her show.

March 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Maria

Ellen has sure gotten cocky since starting American Idol!

March 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Milf Biggenson

The only person who should replace Cowell is famous record producer / infamous murderer. Phil Spector. If he doesn't like a performance, BLAMMO. If he doesn't like Ellen, BLAMMO. If he doesn't like Seacrest, BLAMMO. Try and hide behind that wall of sound....he can shoot through it.

March 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Robert - former NY

I agree that Ellen should stick to her show, but she hasn't been that bad.

I think Gene Simmons would be a great fit, or maybe Bon Jovi. Just a thought.

March 2, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Janet L.

I think Ellen is doing a good job, especially being new to the show. She may not have huge musical credentials, but she's worked on stage, movies, TV, and hosted the Oscars. I think she knows a lot about being a rounded entertainer and tenacity, which all these young performers will need to survive as long as she has in show biz.

Go Ellen!

March 2, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  68. April1

Whoever first mentioned Neil Patrick Harris as a replacement for Simon is a genius!!!! PERFECT! Someone should start a petition or nomination poll on facebook for this one!

March 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  69. robert

Ellen is a good addition to the cast but the performances need work.

March 2, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jim

What's "American Idol?"

March 2, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Christi

Please, please, please... don't let it be Victoria Beckham! She drove me crazy during the auditions. She commented more on their clothes than on the singing.

March 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jessica

Perez Hilton.

March 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Judybee

Simon's replacement..................David Foster or Clive Davis. Problem solved!!!

March 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  74. mjinmd

I certainly agree with Neil Patrick Harris.

March 2, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  75. beck

simon is open upfront thats what these wanna be singers need,
    why say your good when your not, just because your in front of national tv, hey thats risk your going to take.... if you cant handle the truth
    then dont even try out... simon is the best on the judge panel.
    he's not being phoney..... so i hope next judge they pick is upfront,honest, if truth hurts then so be it...

March 2, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Dan Acasuso

Imagine if Richard Simmons replaced Simon Cowell?

March 2, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Jay Micciche

Ellen's a joke, and a huas-frau. She's disturbing to look at, and I turn the channel when she's on. How is she qualified to judge anything?? Becuase she's a performer? Don't think so. At least Howard Stern is IN the Music industry as a DJ, and is relevant in the industry. Mucicians and singers clammor for his approval. Simon is the ONLY reason to watch that show. If they DON'T bring in HOWARD, the show will die.

March 2, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Robin

I think Piers Morgan would be an ideal Simon replacement. He is from the same homeland and has the same character as Simon. He is good on America's Got Talent and voices opinions that sound a lot like Simon.

March 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Lorraine

Can anyone really replace Simon Cowell?? I'm not impressed with either Kara or Ellen and Randy's a wuss. Potential "true musical" replacements for Simon are:
    Gene Simmons
    David Foster
    Cher
    Piers Morgan
    Quincy Jones
    Lionel Ritchie

Please folks – don't look at "non-musical" talents like Ellen – that's like asking George Bush to replace Bill Maher!

March 2, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  80. 1209

All I can say is that you people that think Howard Stern could even be considered to be a judge on prime-time network TV, are out of your minds. If Stern were on, they'd have to bleep 90% of his comments, and he certainly wouldn't comment on the music. He'd be commenting on the girls chests and their clothes, asking them to take off their clothes, and challenging guys to a measuring contest. BE REALISTIC !!! Stern's filthy mouth and attitude will keep him off a show that is meant to appeal to teenagers!

March 2, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  81. Guy B.

Well Idol is an entertainment show and right now the only entertainemtn seems to be coming from who is the next judge cause it sure is not the talent on the stage.
    So the next judge must be an entertainer, the judge should be male to keep the balance and of course must look good on camera this is tv, they need to be able to speak so everyone understands what is being said.
    That being said the only one who seems to be current, and relevant, that is not ready for old age pension is:

Neil Patrick Harris

March 2, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  82. Judybee

I love Ellen as a judge. I think she represents the viewers as just simply a listener of music and what the average person would like. She brings a little humor as well as compassion, which is something that left with Paula. Simon represents the "what will sell" aspect and Randy & Kara represent the "technical" aspect, but Ellen balances things out with her ability to just listen and say what sounds good. After all, how much does the average viewer know about pitch, rolls, the "it" factor, etc. Ellen has brought a fresh perspective to the show and I think she's the perfect fit.

March 2, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  83. Carol

the show name should change to "american idol judges" because it is all about who's the judge!

March 2, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  84. nm

Conan!

March 2, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  85. kmp

I am loving Ellen on A.I. she brings a unique perspective to the show. While she may not have a musical background she is in the entertainment industry and having done stand-up knows what it takes to appeal to an audience. As to having a say in who replaces Simon I am sure each and every judge there Simon included has a say in who replaces him.

March 2, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  86. liz

I have been a loyal fan of AI since day one but I do not think I will make it through this season. Ellen does not belong at the judge's table, Kara likes to hear her self talk and truthfully Simon is sitting there with his mind somewhere else. There is no talent that one can honestly say he/she should be the AI. This show is doomed.

March 2, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  87. chanteclaire

Neil Patrick Harris should not be on this show.

My vote would be on someone like Linda Perry.

March 2, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  88. Kathryn

I hear that Conan needs a job. COCO ON IDOL!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!

Just kidding. I like the Neil Patrick Harris idea. I also really like Ellen. She's cute on the show, in my opinion.

March 2, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  89. cllngcanada

I absolutely love Simon and will be disappointed to see him leave American Idol. Ellen is an amazing hostess on her own program and touches a many demographics with her being a judge. I think Fox was wise to choose Ellen and hopefully they are thankful she accepted! Randy is true and honest to his ideas and I like the way he handles the critisizm for the contestants. Kara, she's alright too, a bit of a follower of Simon and Randy but she seems to be genuine as well. I don't necessarily believe the show is over when Simon makes his departure, providing he is replaced with someone in the industry. To a previous post, I love the short list of ideas Jacob had. From that list I would like to see, Gene Simmons, Paul Simon, David Foster, The Quince or Barry Gordie.

March 2, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  90. introublenow

I'm not as interested in Idol anymore either...Simon at least is honest if blunt which is a refreshing change from the hem and haw gang! I don't care for Ellen but then again I'm not much for change...I think Reba is an awesome choice for Ellen's replacement...I don't know if anyone can replace Simon...Maybe George W? Kidding!!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  91. Carol

what is it about A.I. that we love – the chemistry & report between judges, a talent show or both?? If you answer is both like me, then the reality is the A.I. show we loved is coming to an end and the question is do we, the viewers, want to keep watching a talent show for up and comers with a new panel of judges? I liked the the original three judges & that's what kept me hooked. But let's face it, the vibe started changing last year w/Kara and other guest judges. i haven't really watched it this year – it's just not the same show it was in the beginning and without Paula, Simon and Randy, i'm not interested in watching another reality show, no matter who else is sitting there. and if there is real "talent" out there that is that good, why can't they make it in the industry like everyone else does? does there need to be a special venue for singers?

March 2, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  92. Joyce

I really love watching Ellen everyday on THE ELLEN SHOW. After watching her a few times on AI, I do not like her. She doesn't know enough about it. I know she knows a good singer on her show, and gives people a lot to be put on TV. But she is not in the same league as the other panelists. She will bring the show down. She has to much power and should not have a say in who takes Simons place. She is not in the same profession as the rest of the panel.

March 2, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  93. Pete in Florida

The show would have a better chance with Howard Stern on the panel. You want to see somebody get ripped a new one – Stern is the man to do it. Of course, this will never happen with Ellen having a say in the process. It would lead to some interesting conversations though if he was onboard.

March 2, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  94. Destructor

Simon Cowell owns the whole damned thing. Why are people wondering who will replace him and who will "choose"?

March 2, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  95. SANDY

Love Ellen but Not on Idol- get off before we don't want to watch your talk show. IIf Simon leaves that would be the end of the show as we know it.

sandy

March 2, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  96. Dorothy

She is good on her show, out of her element on Idol. I hope whoever they pick has more qualifications than she does or the show is gone if they have 2 judges who know nothing about music except that they like it.

March 2, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  97. Todd

This show is finished.

Ellen knows nothing about music which is evident in her critiques. She is annoying and degrades whatever quality is left in Idol. The other three plus Ryan hold it together but now with Simon leaving, gonna take a lot to keep viewers interested.

And.... this year's crop of Idol's is a disaster. Put them all together and maybe you can make one good singer out of all of them. Perhaps some talent will shine through though as it is early in the season.

March 2, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  98. Brittany

Ellen is coming off as in idiot. She repeats herself "I like that song for you but you were pushing to hard, but I did like the song but there was a point you were pushing. You pushed" Shut up! When she is talking I am wincing until it is over. Akward dumbness. When Simon is gone they are introuble. At lease Cara knows what she is tallking about. Get stern on their, stir it up. Keep it interesting or where ever Simon goes is gonna take over and GOODBYE A I.

March 2, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  99. George

Hell YES! NEIL PATRICK HARRIS!!!!!

March 2, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  100. Robert

I've refused to even watch this season because of Ellen being on the show. What a waste, I'm on to watching other shows now. Bye bye A.I.

March 2, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  101. Sam

Simon could be a little less harsh in his critiques, but he is usually bang on with his comments. If the contestants listen to him, they will learn and grow as artists.

The other judges don't always seem to have listened to the same thing the rest of us did.

I like Ellen, but I find her frustrating to watch on AI lots of time as she stumbles around for words alot.

March 2, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  102. Diana

I actually love Simon! Kara, Randy and Ellen are o.k. but like him or not Simon is the ONLY person on AI that gives the contestants brutal honesty about their talent. He tells people what the rest of us are thinking and you know it! He can be abrasive yes, but he doesn't give them the Pollyanna synopsis of their performances like some of the other judges. Kara does pretty good but she tends to hold back at times. I think Simon is irreplaceable and I can totally see the ratings plummet with him being gone. Especially if some of the successors listed above come in as his "replacement". There is and will only be ONE Simon Cowell and I think AI's days are numbered with his absence.

March 2, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  103. Bob

One word – – OZZY!

March 2, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  104. Tim

Ellen is lashing herself to a sinking ship. How wonderful! What a mediocre personality she is.

March 2, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  105. Dave

What makes anyone think that having Stern replace Cowell would be a mistake. He would only bring his millions of fans to the show religously, which makes the ratings go up, which pays your check Ellen. Ditz!! Pick McCartney then. Pick anyone else though, and you will go down with the show in flames. Dont forget, youre direct competition will be Simon. Youre only chance is to duke it out ratings wise, and only Stern can win that battle. Else get ready to join Conan.

March 2, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  106. Just A Thought

Gene Simmons...sounds like a great choice to me!

March 2, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  107. tina

bring back paula.... she is a crazy mess & fun to watch

March 2, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  108. ToThe 4Winds

Hey, don't be so cruel, Ellen is one of the most gifted, talented singers
    on the planet. Why Her albums have sold in the millions, Her songwriting compares to the Beatles. This whole show is just a
    kareoke bit with a live band. But that Adam Lambert sure has been
    putting them over in Europe in that traveling Hair Show.

March 2, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  109. Ginny

This is the end of American Idol.

Ryan and Randy,

Get out while you can.

Ellen is terrible for AI. She doesn't know what she is doing, she's not a professional, and she DOES have the deer in headlights look. Simon has a right to be ticked about her being on the show and I don't blame him for leaving. Ellen being a judge on AI is a mockery.

March 2, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |

-David Foster
    -Patti Labelle
    -Stevie Nicks
    -Aretha Franklin

March 2, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  111. sue calgsry

I am sorry, but Ellen having a say on who replaces Simon!!?? This is not The Ellen D show, this is the American Idol, it should not be about Ellen having a 'big say". What I say is Idol should get rid of Ellen , not the right forum for her at all.... just saying

March 2, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  112. sue calgsry

I am sorry, but Ellen having a say on who replaces Simon!!?? hHis is not The Ellen D show, this is the American Idol, it should not be about Ellen having a 'big say". What I say is Idol should get rid of Ellen , not the right forum for her at all.... just saying

March 2, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  113. jeff

This is as dumb as the fact that I watch this retarded show.. I HAVE to remove it from my DVR and request to get my man card back

March 2, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  114. Jim

Who ever they bring in they had better be good, if not the show will gone in two seasons.

March 2, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  115. DeLiRon

I love Ellen and think David Foster, the music producer, would make a great judge.

March 2, 2010 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  116. Noel

Although I'm a huge fan of the Ellen show, I feel she's wrong for American Idol. Her interest is in dancing not music, hence her little dance steps on her show, but how could she be of any relevance in a talent show involving singing? Simon should choose his own successor – he knows what sells the show and it's not the other judges ...!

March 2, 2010 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  117. Tracy Cowan

I use to be more into AI than I am now. I truly love Ellen but as far as her being in charge of deciding the next judge, hmmm that is probly a political network thang. she duznt have that much knowledge I didnt think but she does love music so maybe Im jus jealous of her opportunity! As much as I agree with those that hate Simon because he takes constructive criticism to an uncomfortable place- I must say that HE is most the reason that the competition show is what it IS today. sorry he's leaving – balance on judging won't be the same. sorry I havent done research on Kara's background but where did she come from and what is her expertise in the music industry? jus curious. Howard Stern wouldnt be good cuz his core is against the grain on selling out- unless he's changed. He's jus better at judging good breasts and staying within radio waves. he will always be respected right where he is.

March 2, 2010 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  118. vegan

Here are some names of some potential successors to Simon Cowell (in my own opinion). Let me know what you think.

Gene Simmons
    Timbaland
    David Geffen
    David Foster
    Kenny Rogers

March 2, 2010 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  119. mushymushroom

Yeah yeah! I also thought Neil Patrick Harris was a good judge during auditions, he really points out what is or what isn't based on his taste of course. That'll be awesome...! But will it be weird if two gays are in the panel? Oh well, I think they'd do well... :)

Oh wait, I think Pharrell Williams will do good as well! He's talented, very strong music(industry) background, and has a total street cred...or maybe someone like P.diddy or Timbaland... :)

March 2, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  120. ff

She's pathetic on the show and has no business being there as she knows nothing about music, this is the end of American Idol.

March 2, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  121. Sherri

They need to pick a record producer and someone of Simons Caliper in the music business, we need that edge of experience on the show.

March 2, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  122. KT

I second Neil Patrick Harris...he was fantastic as a guest judge during the auditions. He took charge, was all business, and has the relevant background to support his critiques. He is the perfect choice to replace Simon!

March 1, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  123. sandra

Ellen is to stiff and so not ready,,,,, no music bacground experience. Kara rocks she is a natural woman who knows her stuff just right.

March 1, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  124. claudia

I have been against Ellen being a judge from day 1. She can't pick talent and deffinitely can't pick a replacement for Simon. Give us all a break and when Simon leaves replace her also. After this season I won't even bother.

March 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  125. 31

Kara and Randy are my favorite judges, but I really like Ellen too. My favorite American Idols are Brooke White, Carrie Underwood, and David Archuleta! Unfortunately I think this is the worst year. Ellen makes it a little better.

March 1, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Dave

Ellen has been a welcome addition to the show. If Kara and Randy would follow Paula's lead and exit, I feel like there would be a chance for Simon to stay. But, Ellen is great. You don't have to know much about the music industry to judge what kind of music you like and think others might listen to, so Ellen is a wonderful addition.

March 1, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  127. TinLV

There are several people I can think of who would probably be qualified to judge the contestants, but not many I think would want to do it. I loved Shania Twain as a guest judge and I wasn't the only one. If it was up to me, I'd offer her whatever money it would take to get her to do it full-time. Whoever it is, it does not have to be an a**h*** like Simon. He's a jerk and the sad truth is some people really do tune in just to watch him be mean. When he is giving constructive criticism, he's good, but so many nights he seems to be in a foul mood and no one is good enough for him.

March 1, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  128. mrskool

This is just wrong ... you'd think the producers would know enough to see that Ellen is barely liked on the show herself so why in the world would they allow her any say in choosing the next AI judge to replace Simon ...?!?!? I can foresee the demise of the show due to poor ratings following these bad decisions.

March 1, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  129. LBW

Chas Bono!

March 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  130. bababooey

She is awful and she quit to save her reputation as a talk show host

March 1, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Head Diva In Charge

I really like Ellen, she cracks me up. I think she will only get better on American Idol. And of course Stern isn't going to be on the panel, he would get sick of it after 1 month and want out!

March 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  132. COL Kurtz

Ratings are down because of Ellen. I actually miss Paula's drug-stupor comments. ... Never thought I would say that. But Howard would be a good replacement for Simon.

March 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Mike B

Wow!!!! I swear not more than thirty miunutes ago i was downloading some old Gang Starr tracks.

Get well Guru!!!

March 1, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  134. GeoB

Love you Ellen! And I know she'll make an intelligent decision. Peace

March 1, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Lei

March 1, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Sally

I think she should consider Jimmy Hopper. He is the biggest star who isn't a star. He sings his ass off and has a bad attitude to go with it. He was a 7 times star search male vocalist. He cant compete on American Idol because of the age restrictions, but he would win. Check him out Ellen, he's funny, shocking and has a great personality... and very finicky!

March 1, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  137. sweetlittleceltie

If people watch A. I. just to watch Simon bash people I think they need counseling. They forget there are human beings with feelings on the other end. Yes, contestants need constructive criticism, but Randy Jackson gives that adequately without ripping hearts out and flat-out abusing people on national TV. It's time for Simon to go.

I think Paul McCartney would be a good replacement for Simon. Sure would bring in not only advertisers, but ratings would go through the roofs. Question is, would he do it?

March 1, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Dave

I think if thats the case and Ellen gets to decide on the next judge that really could be a very lucrative reality TV show. Have america get to decide the next judge keeping the show more popular. I would enjoy seeing the commentary of Ellen in the decision making process as well. Best wishes and if you need another judge feel free to hit me up. I like music that makes me qualified right.?

March 1, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  139. sweetlittleceltie

Ellen IS Ellen. She always has been and she always will be. She is true to herself. She is doing a great job on Idol; she is honest, she has relevant criticism and encouragement, and she does it with class and dignity and one heck of a lot of humor. I am thoroughly enjoying watching Idol now! And she looks GORGEOUS! Those eyes are mesmerizing! Well done, Ellen! Keep up the good work!

March 1, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Sierra

She seems lost to me on the show. It's obvious she dosen't have the musical knowledge to accurately judge the contestants. But I definitely like her better than Cowell.

March 1, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Jesse

THREE WORDS:

NEIL PATRICK HARRIS

March 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  142. TN

Well Ms. DeGeneres...I believe that it is Simon's "meaness" that makes the show. Yes, viewers like the other judges, but it's Simon which is the main attraction. How are you of all people going to have a part in who takes his place.

It must be one of those situations where you say..."It's all in who you know". I like you don't get me wrong...but not as an AI judge. That's not a good fit for you. It should be someone with a STRONG musical background...you just dance to music. ?????

I don't watch the show because of you. But I watch Ellen. ???

March 1, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Lisa`

I really like Ellen on her talk show, but not at all on Idol. She looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Her eyes are huge, and she is trying too hard to be of some relevance. If she would just be herself, I think she would do much better.

March 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |