February 26th, 2010

Are you wearing black for Cash?

Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash was born February 26, 1932.

Today would have been Johnny Cash's 78th birthday, and as we noted in a previous post, there's been a push by the Cash family, producer Rick Rubin and Cash's record label to get people to wear black in honor of the singer known as the Man in Black.

Yes, there's a promotional side to it - Cash's last Rubin-produced album was just released - but there's nothing wrong with paying tribute to Johnny Cash. As many of you indicated in your comments, he had quite an impact on American culture.

Some of the messages we received were quite moving, about parents who instilled their love of Cash's music in their children, or people who wrote about what songs such as "Man in Black" or "What Is Truth" meant to them.

So, are you wearing black? Let us know - and feel free to send images or videos to iReport.

1. MarieLaveau

When he died I burned a 28 song cd and took it with me to a NASCAR weekend in Loudon, NH – my dad introduced me to Johnny Cash and we were spending the weekend up there. That evening we put the cd into a wonderful stereo and started playing it. Suddenly the other music and recordings around us shut down, one by one. All there was was Johnny Cash – it was a simple and amazing tribute.

I wore black today.

March 1, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. majikalanimal

One of my first childhood memories is of my father playing his records on a rainy Sunday morning and making the connection that the song playing was about that moment, I think I was four. Our entire family regards the Man In Black highly. I was a snotty little goth kid 20 years ago and now, as an adult in my mid-thirties still wear mostly black. His message of brotherhood was the reason then and still is now that I wear black all the time. He died on my 30th birthday, I paid to send my dad to Las Cruces to see his final (I think) live concert ever. I could go on and on with reasons I feel connected to him. Ultimately, he is a big part of who I am today.

March 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Adrienne

*choose.

March 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TEDDY

Yes I am wearing black in his memory...

March 1, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Adrienne

I haven't read the entire thread, but interested in Diva and Str8.

I'm not a big country music fan or rap fan. I am a big "human" fan though. JC did change the worlds of many individuals, and that's how you change the world. He grew up in poverty, in a "dysfunctional" household. He struggled with drugs, alcohol, and his relationship with God – much like many rappers and rock-n-rollers, poets and so on.

Luckily we are free to recognize, support, and pay tribute, or not, to whom we chose.

~ Peace to you all.

A.

March 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Snobrod66

"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
    And tell the world that everything's OK,
    But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
    'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

Of coarse i'm wearing black! Miss You Johnny!

March 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Vancouver 2010

i am wearing black

March 1, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ChiefB

Here I am a 69 year old country music player, who felt like he lost a brother when JR passed. His music was inspirational and honest. It was an honor to dress in black in remembrance of a great musician and man.

March 1, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Guest

Why does everybody have to make things complicated. If you like johnny cash wear the black if not Why are you reading this? RIP johnny!

March 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Roman Fox

I also did not realize it and am wearing black. Anyway, thanks to Debra for saying what I was thinking. I'm a musician myself, and certainly would appreciate if we could celebrate the man and his music instead of reading comments from ignorant trolls. kthx - RSF

March 1, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mellanie

Ha! I'm wearing black and didn't even realize it! GO me. I like Johnny Cash, but I'll continue to mourn MJ.

March 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. david

Jhonny cash is beast.

March 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Str8 Outta Tx

diva you get fired up and insulted daily! dont you have any pride in yourself. i understand being secure enough not to try to show out, but you accept every day1 ppl think you are a punk and they will keep doing it.

March 1, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tara

Johnny Cash is a staple in our household. We play his music his pictures hang on our walls. My fiance is a musician and has been influenced by him greatly. It was a sad day the man in black left us. I found myself getting rather upset last a couple of months ago and VH1 was listing the most shocking moment in rock. Dimebag was not listed. However, Micheal Jackson was number on. Micheal was a great influence to this world but, it was a rock countdown. Tupac is great and gets the praise he deserves. I want to see Dimebag get the praise he deserves also. As you can tell me listen to all genres of music. May they all rest in peace.

March 1, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. Debra

Re Diva: and yet you keep posting and issuing your ignorant remarks.... don't you understand that without Johnny Cash....there may not have been an Elvis...without an Elvis there may not have been a Michael Jackson or Bruce Springsteen...without them...there may not have been...... music effects life....Johnny made life better....he inspired people and he humbled them too...perhaps you shuld go back to reality TV or something....

March 1, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  16. Dsuz

Johnny Cash was a lucky man to have been loved for just being Johnny doing what Johnny loved. Lets help all our kids be Johnnies/

February 27, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  17. TD Express

Not enough can be said about this man. The obstacles he overcame in his personal life were tremendous. From his struggles with alchohol and drug addiction, to his deep seated guilt about the death of his brother Jack. He not only climbed the mountain but he conquered the beast within him as well. I love you so much June for sticking with him!

February 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Head Diva In Charge

I did NOT wear black. I find it silly, you can play tribute to your favorite music makers every day by buying, playing, and keeping their music alive. He didn't change the world, maybe he changed the face of music, but I prefer to honor those who truly make life better.

February 27, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Doug Shiloh

I wore my black leather jacket to work. Cash is on the Mount Rushmore of Music.

February 26, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. R Conry

My choice was to wear black or shoot a man in Reno, just to see him die. The choice was really pretty simple, just ask my boy named Sue

February 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. elizabeth weston

YES ! I am wearing black and listening to his music right as I type this! I am thrilled to be a part of anything that celebrates both the life of a wonderful and beloved performer as well as remembering the injustices that he sang about. I recall seeing him in person as he strode about Findlay Market in Cincinnati Ohio as he was making a movie there. What a nice gentleman! God bless you Johnny and may the angels sing you "Happy Birthday" today! You are still missed and much loved!

February 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Str8 outta TX

r.i.p. dj screw, fat pat, big moe, pimp c, big steve, big hawk, mellow, and all the s.u.c. ppl who went on.

February 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Str8 outta TX

the other day, i posted this:
    why is it only certain types of musicians who get preferential treatment, and why does it only come after death?
    RIP Tupac
    not just pac either. there have been several great musicians throughout time.
    after reading the posts of bloggers since then, i've been enlightened. someone said he wore black for the downtrodden. i can identify.
    i'm sold... even if its not my preference

February 26, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |