February 25th, 2010

'Idol' makes the cuts on Thursday night

testing captions
testing captions

Thursday night is the night of reckoning for four “Idol” contestants.

Two men and two women will be sent packing, and while the performances were almost totally underwhelming across the board, I have my theories as to who we may be bidding "adieu" to in the first round of cuts.

Ladies first. Teacher Paige Miles was in the unenviable position of going first Tuesday night during the Top 12 girls’ performances.

The judges claimed to have enjoyed her cover of "All Right Now" by Free. The unwritten rule on “Idol,” however, is that he or she who goes first must blow the viewers away so folks remember to vote for you. She didn’t do that, and I think she might be going home as a result.

Ashley Rodriguez was up next, and her version of Leona Lewis’ “Happy” made the judges anything but.  A show of nerves plus some notes that got away from her could equal a ticket home.

Now on to the fellows. Tim Urban was an alternate who made it on to the show at the last minute after Top 24 contestant Chris Golightly was disqualified.

Urban may not have had much time to enjoy it, however, because he really should “Apologize” to fans for his version of that OneRepublic song. It was wrong on so many levels. (Simon was particularly harsh in his criticism of Urban.)

Jermaine Sellers went into the Top 12 men’s group hamstrung by an incident from Hollywood week where he, as Kara put it, “threw the band under the bus.” That show of possible diva-like behavior (or in this case, divo-like) left a bad taste in some fans mouths, as did his crooning of Oleta Adams’ “Get Here.” It might be buh-bye  for him.

However it shakes out, I hope tonight’s elimination shakes up the remaining contestants and pushes them to step up their performance game. Otherwise, it’s going to be a v-e-r-y long season.

Join CNN throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

« Previous entry
  1. JoeMo

they should have sent 12 home, this is the worst group ever.

the show needs another Adam Lambert..........

February 26, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Just A Thought

Janelle, Ashley, The 70's dude and Joe got cut.

February 26, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. show dog mom

To CommonwealthVA: I miss Adam, too! He was the best talent they ever had......and everytime I see Kris What's-his-name, I am reminded of that! He's still eminently forgettable!!

Moving on... Please, America: deliver us from having to look at Crystal Dirtysox's brown and missing teeth for another 2 months! she'll get booted off anyway, so let's not force the country to look at her every week. UGH! Not to mention she's mouthy and sasses back at the judges! Nice manners, babe.

February 26, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mike Jones from Indiana

America got it wrong tonight...3 of the 4 should have stayed.
    What is up with voters??

February 25, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DBLdDEB

Miss it tonight who got let go?

February 25, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Commonwealth VA

I miss Adam...sigh.

February 25, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. protogere

Man I really wish they would kill the high school madrigals-esque routines. They are by far the worst part of the show.

February 25, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. protogere

LoL S Hankins, you're pretty close to my thoughts there. (As an aside, are you a teacher or were you?)

February 25, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. protogere

I agree on Lacey, but I think Katelyn stands in the bottom as well, perhaps low enough to leave.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with your prediction for the men – Simon said it best when he said they made the right decision the first time with Tim. And yes, Jermaine was possibly the next worst performer.
    I am so anxious to see Allison perform – I've heard her release on the radio, she reminds me a lot of Selena Gomez. She is wonderful!

February 25, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeremy G

@S hankins

I agree 100%, maybe keep a couple but this is by far the worst top 24 that I can remember, and I have been watching since season 2.

February 25, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sara

I hope they at least keep the least offensive performers...I don't know their names yet...or care to...

If the girls had gone second, they would have sounded a lot better compared to the trainwreck that was the boys. Did anybody else throw up in their mouths a little bit when they did the recap at the end of last night? That was PAINFUL!

February 25, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. S Hankins

Vote them all off and let's start over.

February 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. edw

Tim Urban, who sang Apologize has got to go. Also, the 16 year old kid was very bland.

I hope they keep Andrew Garcia.

February 25, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeremy G

Girls:Ashely R and Lacey Brown
    Guys:Jermaine Sellers and Tim Urban or Alex

No one singer has stood out yet as someone who could win it or at least be in the top 3, Casey and Aaron were good but they didn't blow me away, None of the girls did either though Lilly and Crystal were good but not great. Hopefully things improve.

BTW, did anyone find the judges behavior during Casey's performance uncalled for last night?

February 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |