February 24th, 2010

The Top 12 guys take the stage

testing captions
testing captions

9:52 p.m.: Andrew Garcia. What to say.

I hadn't been this excited about a contestant so early in the game since Mario Vazquez back in season four (may his career rest in peace). I thought tonight was going to be all about Andrew. Then when I heard Andrew and Fall Out Boy I was prepared to go nuts. Not so much.

Wow. I'm stunned.

9:40 p.m.: I'm glad to see that Casey James isn't ready to sue Kara for sexual harassment. She loves that cat!

Fox milked it for all it was worth to with the shots of her watching him adoringly. His version of "Heaven" was good, but sweet honey in the rock where is the star power on this show?

You have got to keep people awake during a two hour show and for that you need more than just the blonde locks and the cute face. That doesn't hurt though.

9:31 p.m. Alex Lambert, Mary Powers would like to have a word with you.

He might as well have said "Na, na, na, na, na." That's fine if you can back it up. His version of James Morrison's "Wonderful World" was very nasal and he looked like he was about to run off the stage. I felt bad for the kid.

They usually save the best singers to shine at the end and Alex fell short. You have to represent for the Lamberts, Alex, so please get it together!

It was also the first time during the night that I felt like "E" was being the Ellen people hoped she would be on the show - and who they tune into her show to see.

9:20 pm.: OK, I was up and dancing in front of the TV during Big Mike's performance.

I don't even care that I wasn't buying that he was playing that guitar. His version of Maroon 5's "This Love" was the hotness. I have been waiting all night to have a "Haaaaayyyyy that's my jam" moment and he gave it to me.

Thanks Michael Lynche!

9:14 p.m.: John, John, John.

You just won the worst song choice of the night award. John Park's selection of "God Bless the Child" was bad. It was really bad. And I have hearted this dude from day one. When KARA says it's "indulgent" you know there is an issue.

I think John is in some serious trouble. He may have scored some points by explaining why he chose the song, but it might not be enough.

9:04 p.m.: If Lee Dewyze stepped up his game, he could be  Danny Gokey 2.0.

He's got that Gokey look, and that raspy Gokey voice. Now he needs some Gokey mojo.

"E" and Simon were really digging him. I'm not yet convinced that he could be the next David Cook, but that's not Bad Company to be in. So to speak.

8:54 p.m.: "American Woman?" Really, Tyler Grady?

As a wise viewer pointed out, this kid is a cross between Jim Morrison and Shaun White with the look - but definitely not the former with the vocals. (Ed. note: Or Lenny Kravitz or Burton Cummings, for that matter.) He's almost a caricature and I thought for sure Ellen was going to come back with some funny comment about his schtick.

And FYI, schtick is not good for an aspiring Idol.

8:48 p.m.: Confession time.

I had totally forgotten about Joe Muñoz. His voice is pleasant and he was getting his groove on a little bit to Jason Mraz. He gets points for at least moving a little bit.

I wouldn't agree with Kara that so far he's been the best. It seems he at least understands the concept of "performing" and not just singing. Hopefully we will get to see more of him to see if he has something else in his bag.

8:36 p.m.: Somewhere Kris Allen is sticking his fingers in his ears.

Kris' version of OneRepublic's "Apologize" was so much better than Tim Urban's. You want this guy to make it because it would be a great comeback story. Way to blame the last-minute song switch, Tim. Simon scored a huge blow by saying the judges made the right choice in cutting him the first time.

Ouch! Simon is beyond brutal tonight. I'm going to miss that so much.

8:25 p.m: I remember Jermaine Sellers from when he was a contestant on the BET gospel competition "Sunday's Best." I liked him on that show and I still like his voice, but I think he may have overdone it a bit.

The thing about the church voice is that it can be used as a weapon in the wrong hands. Oleta Adams' "Get Here" is such a beautiful song and I thought he would wring every emotional note out of it, but no.

But I am going to get super annoyed if every time someone does a throwback song they get the "You're young" criticism. Good music is timeless and if you have the talent, you can sing anything.

And you were wrong for the "Stanky Leg" directed at Simon, Jermaine. You know Cowell lacks a hood pass and has no idea what that is!

8:15 p.m.: Aaron Kelly is such a little sugar-face. He reminds me of someone's baby brother, with his spiky hair and toothpaste ad smile. I thought "Here Comes Goodbye" was a great song choice for him. Nice vibe, good voice and the big finish "Idol" thrives on.

This is starting out so much better than Tuesday night. Take note ladies!

8:10 p.m.: OK, Kara looks like she is about to climb into Simon's lap. She is really taking the Paula fill-in role seriously, huh? And I am glad that Ellen acknowledged that the judges aren't quite seeing in studio what we are seeing at home.

First up is Todrick Hall singing "Since U Been Gone." At least that's what Ryan said it was. The song was completely unrecognizable from the original - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I agree with Randy that Todrick is "mad talented" and I get that he was trying to mix it up, but it might have been a little too mixed up for the voting public.

Way harsh words though, Simon! If the singing thing doesn't work out, perhaps Todrick can look to producing.

Next entry »
  1. benswa

I think the light skinned black woman will win. I don't know her name, but I think she's good. Most of them cannot sing. It's a lousy group this year. Of course, the teenyboppers will keep voting for the best lootking guy over and over again like last year, even if the guy has not talent. That's what stinks about the show. I wish the judges were just that – judges – all throughout the show and not the public. Ellen is just great on the show. She does her best. Why all the negativity? Paula was a dud, I was bored by everything she said. The only judge who has any musical talent is Randy. Simon usually is right on the money judging, but he's got no talent. So what's the big deal with Ellen ?

February 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jill

I have not watched AI in years, and last night I tuned in. I have been reading about how great Andrew is and I must say, where is this Andrew you speak of? Bad choice by making Fall Out Boy's version of Sugar were goin down into acoustic, but come on, he didnt even sing the right words!! That really annoyed me. Down Town? It's Down, Down. Loaded gun complex? Try loaded GOD complex. Not impressed, at all!

February 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MarjieT

I am actually enjoying this season. AI has found some unique voices. Although I don't watch the show for the judges, I do believe that Simon is harsh and generally 100% correct. He certainly knows what he's talking about and he recently said, "I am saying what you are all thinking." He's harshly honest but right on the money. These people need to hear this in a business that is ruthless. With regards to Ellen: I think she will make a solid addition to the panel. She is just getting her feet wet. I do believe if Ellen listens to the tape, she will notice that she repeats a lot of her advice. The 16 year old boy, can't remember his name, is absolutely amazing!

February 25, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jmiller

If it's not broke-don't fix it! Bringing Kara on, Paula leaving and now Simon, I think AI is on a death roll. Ellen should not quit her day job, she absolutely ruins the show, oh, and no talent on the show doesn't help either.

February 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Simon

Worst group ever, the girls aren't much better. This could be the year Seacrest wins.

February 25, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tina

I missed the guys but was so hoping they would be better than the girls. I hope it gets better.

February 25, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LC

After Adam Lambert last year no one and I mean no one can top his performances. This is the worse bunch I've heard except for Casey. The girls are even worse than the boys.

February 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jmiller

The boy's show was excruciating. The worst bunch of no talent guys ever. Where is Adam Lambert! He made the show last year. With Ellen, I am afraid AI is dooomed. Now Simon is leaving? The producers really goofed letting Shania Twain, Averil Lavigne etc pick the contestants. It was painfully obvious they could care less. At least Paula had a good ear and picked winners. Never change a winning formula-get it AI producers? Your show is pitiful.

February 25, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DL

I think Ellen is a lousy judge....

February 25, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jose Baez

Common guys if any of you agreed with what any of the judges said about not sounding good, picking the right song no stage precence etc. etc than im sure you would have noticed on your own while practicing so why even go there if your not sure . very dissapointing last night worst group ever. Better step up your game fellas .

February 25, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Str8 outta TX

once again, i dont believe it's fair to compare men and women. they have distinctly different qualities on and off stage.

February 25, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sherine Levine

Soooo disappointing! Just terrible - every one of them. The only good (but not exceptional) person is Casey James. And that's because he oozes sex appeal! The others? Feh! I can't understand why with all the multi-thousands of auditions they couldn't find better. After Adam Lambert, I'm spoiled.

February 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gk Sims

American Idol is done... Talent and judges not in the game......No wonder Simon is getting off......

February 25, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Barb

I'm very disappointed in this year's American IdoI, both the boys and the girls. Simon is frustrated too, has he ever rolled his eyes as much as this year? Rather then see equal gender voted off each week I'd rather see the lowest vote getters leave no matter which gender . Therefore at least leaving the better of the group for the finals.

February 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Disappointed!!

Can we just get to the shows final 4? I don't care who they are; just end this pain.

February 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Deb

I understand that this is a television show, but why are the "stories" ranked as important as their singing abilities? Maybe they weeded out people who were much better but didn't have an interesting story...what's up???

February 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. noofy

Andrew messed up, but I still think he has a great voice. If he gets it together, I can see him going all the way.

February 25, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bob Dow

Because of the changing nature of the music business, this season feels more than any other like a calculated experiment to break several unique artists in various genres... 10 kids selling 300K albums each might have more impact than trying to find one bankable superstar.

That said, both the men and the women had a rough week... not a lot to remember... and the guys in particular seemed to have fallen into the "bad song choice" spiral of doom.

The judges seem disinterested in the proceedings... they are goofing around and regurgitating old chestnuts like "I don't know, it was kinda pitchy for me dawg"

picking on Tyler Grady for his 70's rocker cartoon schtick is drenched in irony.

February 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jcd

Ok the judges behavior after Casey sang was stupid, inappropriate and downright uncomfortable to watch. I was cringing every time Kara or Randy opened their mouth. Was this supposed to be cute, or funny? It failed miserably if it was, it was just completely yuck.

February 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. cpmoka

The judges were making fun of Casey James. Why?? They never
    did comment on his song or talent. If I had been Casey, I would
    have thrown down my guitar, jumped up and down on it and
    walked off the stage. Casey does not need Idol, but Idol sure
    needs Casey and the other good singers. The judges are pathetic. Paula would never have been so inappropriate as Kara. We need
    good manners and serious comments restored to the show. The only comment the judges make is "you picked the wrong song".
    Whose fault is that? My guess is the singers are told what to sing and they don't get to pick.

February 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tracie

I wish the judges would listen to themselves. If the contestents pick a popular song then the judges say they should not try and copy the artist but if they pick and older song they are critical of the kids sounding old. If they try to change a song the judges tell them to stick with the melody. but then they tell the kids to go outside the box and be original. Song choice is all you hear but how are they surposed to choose. I am not happy with the show this year, Simon is making it a sour experience for everyone. I will give it one more week maybe

February 25, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Alienate

These two nites have been horrible. Never have I seen such a group of mediocre to bad singers. And the 4 judges just make it worse. I'm turning from an Idoloonie to an Idontgiveadamner...

Pathetic.

February 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Angel

Was there anyone there when these 24 singers were singing because there all suck. Maybe two that I saw were good. Worst year of American Idol

February 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  24. LuvMarathons

Terrible. I was excited about following this season, but after the last 2 nights, I'm done. Will not be watching tonight, or the rest of the season...unless of course, I need help falling asleep or something.

February 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  25. nana

ok. i've been an idol fan but when adam lampert didn't win last year, i swore i wouldn't waste my time watching al anymore. but nonetheless, i gave idol a chance again. and i'm sorry to say i'm very very disappointed in the talent this year. and the judges? keep simon and dump the rest. ellen. good grief. complete a full sentence before you start in with your next thought. did you take lessons from paula?

February 25, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Cindy in Philly

These kids are average at best. Idol needs to open up the competition to older participants like Britain's Got Talent. Look at gems like Susan Boyle instead of these teeny boppers.

February 25, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  27. mahkyb

I sat and watched Idol last night for no good reason. I mean, these guys are terrible (not that the ladies are much better). Where are the singers that knock the lights out? Where are the performers that are fearless and capture the attention of the audience? This was the best of the best???

Answer: they are nowhere.......

February 25, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Richard

Yawn

February 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  29. ACwatts

Generally speaking, most of the contestants were bad. This batch of 24 could be way better. Also, Ellen only made 2 jokes. I would say part of her being on the panel is for comic relief. Let Simon speak first and Ellen speak last so that she can come up with jokes. Otherwise, this season will suck.

February 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Vallary

Don't Simmon look like he is getting teeth pulled? Some of the girls and guys you have to wonder how did they get into the top 24. I mean really. I long for the days of Kelly, Clay, Ruben. I mean now it doesn't matter if you win or loose on the show. You make the money. there are so many songs in the song book. Why do they have sing the same old stuff

February 25, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. QUEEN

I don't mean to be negative, but after listening to the girls and the guys there is not one contestments that is worthy of being label the winner of American-Idol. The judges comments on them singing the wrong song for your voice and their tone was off and etc. These kind of comments are not worthy of being label the AMERICAN-IDOLS. The
    winner should stand out at each show. Their talented should be most important and not how nice they look.

February 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Margaret

With Ellen on the show I will not watch American Idol. She is not what I call a good example.

February 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mary

I am very disappointed in all contestants really. The guys are terrible, the girls are just OK. Was last night horrible because of the jitters/stage fright or what? How could they have chosen these guys? They kicked off the best girl they had (Angela) before the final 24. The only girl worthy now of being there is Crystal (the one that sounds like Janice Joplin). She's got talent and WILL BE A STAR, either on or off the show. The show has gone down hill I believe. Maybe they should just cancel the whole thing after this year. They keep saying "Oh this year's the best year ever for the women"..."Very hard to choose"...NOT!

February 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jhardain

Not the best of the crop this season!

February 25, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  35. JMB

I'm such a huge John Park fan but I won't be suprised if he's voted off. He literally looked like he was going to have a stroke he was so nervous! Come on John! Last one more week and show these peeps what you got!

February 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. moniciao

Idol is turning into a joke without Paula and with nitwit Ellen. Actually she seems more uncomfortable and nervous onstage than the contestants. Simon should run and never look back.

February 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Yvonne

I think they should have kept Thadeous. I think that was his name. He went home and they kept Andy Garcia. Shame on the judges. Thadeous was a real good singer.

February 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Henna

A.I is getting boring, and when Casey performed Kara felt like a little girl who was crying when funny hairdo Sanjaya performed (don't remember which season it was),Ellen is good,Randy and Simon seems dragging the show, I am done with A.I.

February 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Denise

What IDOL producers NEED TO DO......admit putting any of these contestants through was a bad idea and shelve the entire season. They must have had a difficult search when they were out scouting for talent to put these people through.

February 25, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. marian

Cannot believe how terrible the guys were. It simply went from bad to worse, and I felt sorry for them and was embarrased by the dismal performances! Adam Lambert they definately are not!! But the WORST had to be from the Burton Cummings wanna be! Get with it my man, you will NEVER be good enough to even shine his shoes, let alone try to sing his songs. DISGUSTING!

February 25, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Alohadeb

I was very impressed with the ladies for season 9......but the guys.....what were the judges thinking in Hollywood? I really only see 2 or 3 possibilities with the guys....and I am predicting that this years winner will be one of the gals......go girls go......it is your time to shine!!

February 25, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Just A Thought

@ sally – So why is your name not capitalized??? That is a proper noun right?? Did they not cover that in your first grade? Get over yourself!

February 25, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. lisa

the show was a hot mess!!! the last guy can't remember his name wasn't that bad. Granted, i never heard fall out boy's version. but i thought he was the little light of the show. oh, and the guy that was choking the microphone, loved his voice. But loosen up fella

February 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Nancy

In all my years of watching American Idol, I have never heard such horrific singing. There are no shining stars in my book.

February 25, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Robyn

It's been tough so far but it IS only the first week, people will grow and improve and I'm holding out hope that it WILL get better. I think Andrew Garcia is gonna kick butt this year......he didn't pick the best of songs last night but he has a KILLER voice and will really bring it the rest of the season. I'm disappointed in the girls this year, I think it's gonna be another boy year......with Andrew taking the title! Go Garcia!!! I'm a HUGE FAN!

February 25, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Ellie P

The last two contestants (male and female) that didn't make it to the 24, should have been on. This group is the most untalented from all the seasons.

February 25, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Tom Huth

The men are horrible, only 2 or three worth anything. A friend of mine, choir director Brad Ituriagga tried out this year and didn't make it past prelim judges to Simon's level and he is a better singer than all these guys!
    Idol is losing it's appeal because they really don't want the best singers, they want 'characters' and 'bozos'.

February 25, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Cindy

Has AI "Jumped the Shark"?

February 25, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  49. Str8 Outta TX

i've commented on this stuff too much the last few days to continue to say the same thing. now i'll make another suggestion. a comeback season. bring back the favorites from all the previous seasons who didnt quite make it, and then you'll have talent...
    and have a winner from each gender. you can hardly compare a man and a woman. women are too sublime for us.
    oh, and i'd like to see some more r&b

February 25, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  50. Paula

OMG!! AI sucks this year!! They always say it's the best talent they've ever had. No, it's the WORSE! And did Kara look like a fool when Casey was singing. It's like she wants him to win because he's cute (her opinion, not mine)! If I were the other contestants, I'd be ticked at her behavior!! Was no need to add Ellen as a judge, either!

February 25, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  51. sally

The guy's name is Tyler, not Taylor.

Does anyone out there have more than a first grade education? I am
    sick of seeing the word "your" when it should be "you're" for you are.
    I've never seen writing by so many idiots. Take a few grammar and
    spelling lessons, for crying out loud, people.

February 25, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  52. Don

AHHH, did I miss something this season??? Did I hear that this is the"best group ever"?? I dont know but I think the train is off the track. Only two guys left me thinking,wow they do sing well. Sorry, just my thoughts.

February 25, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  53. The best critic

Lot's of good comments...

So the men's night was more of what I expected, which is several really bad performances. The best for my ears was the 16-year old suprisingly, and big Mike should drop the guitar. Garcia can sing the phone book but not that song (he's the real Danny Gokey look-a-like). I'm surprised they couldn't pick better men. They made a big mistake dropping the big white guy who had done prison time.

Makes me appreciate the star talent the women have and their performances, even though it didn't seem like it to most people last night.

February 25, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  54. sally

No one stood out...boring group.

Kara was cuddling up to Simon, gazing at him adoringly, and just
    basically acting like a love-struck fan..what it THAT about? The
    woman is MARRIED, and that kind of behavior PLUS the stupidity
    over Casey is disgusting. Can't stand her. Ellen is okay, but Paula
    being gone has really changed the dynamic and the show isn't
    nearly as entertaining. When Simon leaves, the show will go totally
    down the tubes. Very disappointing season so far.

February 25, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  55. Rachel

I agree with Widget. Everyone remembers how great all of the contestants were at the end of the season, but not how mediocre they were during the first episodes!!! It took several weeks for me to think WOW Kelly Clarkson is great! The truly talented contestants will start to stand out, and the others will be eliminated in due time, so calm yourselves!

February 25, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  56. Doppy

Kara's behavior last night was unprofessional. I really felt bad for Casey because as he started singing the crowd started laughing because Kara was over waving her arms in the air. Her behavior was completely inappropriate, rude and bordering on harrassment. If Randy or Simon were making inappropriate comments like that to one of the female contestants like Kara was to Casey (ie: demanding to take their shirt off) they would be in a huge amount of trouble. There is definitely some double standards going on. I don't think it's cute, I can't believe that A.I. is promoting her crush and I honestly feel bad for Casey. He seems embarrassed by it all and it really distracted from his performance. At what point does this become harrassment? I have to say that I was disappointed in Simon because I fully expected him to tell Kara to behave professionally. Someone should have last night.

February 25, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  57. Widget

Man, y'all need to chill out! It's the first week! Some of these people have limited experience performing in front of a live audience. And just in case you weren't aware.....IT'S SCARY!!!! I have to admit I fell asleep during both shows and missed 3 performers each night but give them a chance and let them calm down. Those of you who are swearing off AI are cracking me up. You've probably never sung a note in your life that a dog wouldn't howl at. Sheesh.

February 25, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  58. James Memphis

The 24 are all boring sans the Texas blonde guy and Harmonica girl, Simon is bored,, Ellen is an idiot and the AI train is on a dead-end track... I really dont care who wins,,or goes home... I'm done.

February 25, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  59. Joe

I now know why I don't watch American Idol religously. It was good the first few seasons, and some people with real talent were chosen by America. Now it's just a publicity stunt, and has become outrageous in terms of what they put on the show. I rolled my eyes when I saw the whole "backstory" of each contestant, but then oh my god when Lee Dwyse sang "Chasing Cars" I wanted to chop my ears off. He was so out of tune and just completely ruined the song. What's worse is that *none* of the judges seemed to notice, and when Simon said "This was the best performance of all the contestants"...I immediately turned the TV off.

American Idol sucks.

February 25, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  60. Dean

It is going to be a boring season if these dudes and gals don't improve. I am shocked at the selections. They were all terrible just like the girls. Just hope they get better as we go along. I am a American Idol fan from the beginning but this season does not ahow me anything except "Looks." They all look pretty but can't sing.

February 25, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  61. Just A Thought

Also, the judges are always talking about being who you are, being true to yourself, But Terry came out in his normal 70's style and they slammed him too! Talking about he needs to change his image! That's crap – Judges need to make up thier minds!

February 25, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  62. blackcurry

Worst season ever. They should have quit while they were on top. There's no talent and the judges look bored except for Kara whose gushing over Casey makes her looks like an old fool. Her husband needs to have a serious talk with her. It is certainly not attractive. As for Ellen, what can you say when somebody sings so badly that they make your ears bleed. She wants to say something...anything positive to give them a little confidence boost. She sure can't compliment their singing.

February 25, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  63. Just A Thought

@ Brownivygirl – your so right! I couldn't believe the judges slammed Todrick for changing up the song after all they said last night about doing that very thing! Iw on't say he nailed it, but did pretty good overall.

February 25, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  64. JC Key

I have watched since Season 1 and I am a huge AI fan but this year if it doesn't get any better next week I am going to stop watching. I feel that I have wasted 4 hours of my lfe this week especially last night with the guys...They were aweful!!!!

February 25, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  65. Carlos

Didn't see the men, but I thought the women were pretty good. I don't see much difference in the amount of talent this year compared with past years. All this crying about how the show is doomed seems like so much hipster hyperbolic jive-Idol ain't going anywhere.

February 25, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  66. Tra Rand

Does the show have a musical director / advisor / coordinator? That person should be FIRED!!! Who is telling these kids to sing these songs and that is sounds good enough to air. The male and female shows were horrible. IDOL YOU ARE LOSSING VIEWERS FAST!!!Ellen is the Idols (Brady Bunch) COUSIN OLIVER. WHERE IS PAULA???

February 25, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  67. Robson

The judges seemed to have picked singers based on their looks rather than their talent this year. Shallow Hollywood folks not trusting us to see beyond physical impairment or bad shape and hear a good sound.

February 25, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  68. neikei

She should be on idol… real singing… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JG7vRbNTSE

February 25, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  69. Bored

Where is the talent this year? This was awful

February 25, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  70. Vickie

Bre and protogere, I too am wondering about the circumstances for bringing Tim Urban back on the show as the 24th contestant. Who did he replace and why didn't they explain what's going on? Are we the only ones curious about this?

February 25, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  71. Galoux

I never did much like Kara, and I am already so over this nonsense about Casey. She just doesn't let up. It's not any age thing putting me off either (I'm decades older than my own last boyfriend). It's just this weird mixture of predictably boring, annoying, and harassment-creepy.

The talent this year isn't so hot, and the judges . . . going to four was a mistake. Losing Paula made things worse. And now there's Ellen, who seems so out of place. There's no chemistry. Even too-predictable chemistry was better than this lack of any. One can only imagine how bad it'll get after Simon's gone.

February 24, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Pam

Kira is a DOG IN HEAT! If I were Casey, I would so sue her. Women have worked hard for equal rights in the work place and then this Kira goes and does the same thing men have done for years. She is a gross SKANK

February 24, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  73. sylvia

Casey James is just awsomemhis voice is great.The only good thing about idol tonight.Besides Simon . Simon Cowell makes american Idol.

February 24, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Yuna

Sam, I agree with you 100%. The show peaked last year with Adam Lambert, now it's just going downhill. Paula was smart to leave.

The only guy tonight who has a chance to make it to the top 3 is Casey James. Last year Allison was the last girl standing; this year it will be Casey.

The girls are much stronger this year (the last year for A.I.?!)

February 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Elizabeth

Tonight was a continuation of the trainwreck that occurred last night. It was the worst start in the history of idol. I heard them say, " You have a good story", about three times and I was thinking they are placing a lot of emphasis on that rather than talent. Who gives a &*%$ about their back story....everyone has one. Honestly I kind of miss Paula as I found the chemistry of the judges enjoyable when she was a part of it. Now Simon seems like he is just over it and sometimes annoyed with how much Kara talks...can't stand her by the way. And the Casey/Kara ordeal is really getting old. Ellen's cool. I guess she represents the audience at home. Finally, Andrew is my favorite male. Unfortunately he set the bar high when he sang Paula' Straight up in hollywood and they will ALWAYS compare his performances to that. Wasn't my favorite choice of song but I thought he was the most solid peformer of the night. If Idol keeps this up, I will not be tuning in because it is boring as hell!

February 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Joe Schmo

I don't understand everyone's praise of Adam Lambert last year. I will give credit where credit is due because he had some nice arrangements. But his voice was completely annoying. It was like he was screaming at every chance he got. He was way too over the top. I think there is better talent this year (not much of it), but they need to step up their game. Andrew Garcia, Todrick Hall, Big Mike, Katie Stevens, and the Bowersox girl (i forget her name), are ALL better singers than Adam Lambert. Maybe not better performers. They might not have his stage presence. But based on vocals, this years winner will be a better singer. But as I said, they are really letting me down so far.

February 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Dee

Another disappointing nite. none of these conrtestants deserve a record deal no matter who wins. They are all terrible to make it to the round of 24, is all the talent in this country gone????

February 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Sam

Still love Adam – you are right there is no one close to him.

I bought his cd, it's great. First cd I have bought in years. I knew when I heard him on AI that I would want to buy it. He didn't disappoint.

February 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Still love Adam

this season so far...YAWNNNNN

February 24, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Still love Adam

Wellll...didn't place a vote....Didn't see or hear Adam Lambert's equal tonight. I do love this show...feel like the judges called each right. Not excited like last year. Adam Lambert is still the best thing AI has found so far in last and this season. Sorry gotta get better before what's there get my vote. Buying Adam's cd's though...

February 24, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jim

Hopefully this is the last year of Idol. This is got to be the worst talent in the history of the show!

February 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  82. dovans

I think maybe the rules should change .. vote for the two that should go forward and lets cut through all this garbage

February 24, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  83. protogere

Oh Andrew – I had so much hope for him to show everyone how it's done. That song just wasn't right – it wasn't the arrangement, it was the song. I just hope they're right in that his earlier work will keep him in. He is by far my favourite contestant male or female in the entire competition.
    Thank you Lisa for the play by play and discussion!!

February 24, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Loray White

Okay....I guess it's going to have to take the dismissal of two girls and two guys tomorrow for it to sink in that the remaining contestants neeed to STEP IT UP!

February 24, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Eric the Actor

Wow, the men are almost as bad as the women last night. Couple that with the judges almost disdain for being there....Ok Simon looks like he's done and that'll he'll puke if Ellen says one more...Uh, um well it was really good in places and then not so good and um I REALLY LIKED IT. It's like she is pandering to the teenage girls in the audience and goes with the boos or yeahs!

Ellen sucks.

February 24, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  86. protogere

I agree Loray LoL.
    Wow, is Kara trying to fully imitate Paula's sluttiness? That was just tasteless on her part as a judge. WTG Simon for the cougar comment. Heh Heh. Yes, Casey is good, but his voice is rather overshadowed by Kara trying to swoon at him the whole way through.
    I disliked Alex, through and through. Nice way to play the blame game on another contestant. Bleh

February 24, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Loray White

Now Casey James sounded like he could be a star...

February 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Idol tonight

I'm just not feeling Idol this year. I think all of the contestants are just average. No one stands out. Hopefully/Maybe, next week things will change after getting through the jitters of the first live performance. MAN, I Hope So...

February 24, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  89. protogere

I've been wondering that too bre, I thought perhaps they would say – but I guess not.

February 24, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  90. davinlcutch

@ dovans..... WOW, scary thought! @ ThatChick06.....lets hope a "RESET" number is a choice at the end of the show......text "RESET" to 5507....LOL.

February 24, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  91. dovans

painful

February 24, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Loray White

Consensus- this is going to be tough to keep watching unless the performances kick it up several notches. So far, the best part of Idol is the opportunity to blog with Lisa et al.

February 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  93. protogere

I hate to say it, but I'm not touched by Big Mike's story. It irritated me to see them focus so much on it during the competition week. And I guess because of that I had decided I really wasn't a big fan of his. Until now. That was beautiful. He has such a unique voice and so strong.

February 24, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  94. bre

So who dropped out that Tim Urban replaced?

February 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  95. ThatChick06

AI needs to start this whole season over.. They said it was the season of BEST singers!! THATS BULL$^&*!! From what I've heard so far..they need to bring people they have cut back for another chance.. THE GIRLS WERE HORRIBLE AND SO ARE THE GUYS!!

February 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Loray White

So will someone tell the judges that not only "young" folks vote.....what's with the "old" references?

February 24, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  97. sR

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeelp!!!

February 24, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  98. davinlcutch

I seriously think my Regza tv sound is off or something..... everyone is bad.....I am wondering if it is the theatre, sound mixing or technichal settings......Simon is very extra acid tounge tonight.

February 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  99. dovans

yow..Makes you wonder about the people who got cut.

February 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  100. protogere

Lee I love, but he didn't hit a single note right there. Ugh
    Brownivygal, yeah it's been this way the past couple years. Since Carrie's year, the only year that I thought there was an actual competition up until the end was the year that David won. Kris' year, and Jordin's year were each just seemingly a luck of the draw. Taylor's year was really strong up until the top three and it was so unbelievable with Daughtry's ousting that I know I personally began to doubt a lot about the authenticity of the voting on the show. I don't think though that the last few years have had near the raw talent as the initial years did.

February 24, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  101. sR

@ Brownivygal, it has been tempting every season since the "All Star" seasons to take a hiatus. However, I've been hoping it would take a turn, but it hasn't. This is so letting down viewers like me who dedicate their Tuesdays and Wednesdays to this show. I think I need to devise a Plan B for these days that will ultimately become Plan A. I will give it another week. If it continues to sink, I'm voting myself off the show! (Signing off)

February 24, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Loray White

So, until Simon spoke, Lee was humbled. I happen to agree with the other three judges.

February 24, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Loray White

Okay...Many holes in Lee's song, much like his jeans! Nice to be comfortable, but....

Hey Lisa...Great forum...Thanks!

February 24, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Brownivygal

I've been on an american idol hiatus since maybe the third season and these two shows are encouraging me to resume my hiatus. Was it always this bad and unpredictable in past seasons?? I think of the All Star seasons with tamara gray, fantasia, jennifer hudson, clay aiken, carrie underwood, kelly clarkson, etc. and unfortunately, this season does not stand up to the AMAzing talent and star quality we seen in the past. I remember having to endure one or two bad or lackluster performances. With this season, it just seems like the norm.

February 24, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  105. CLINTON

I wonder how American Idol 14 would be like...

February 24, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  106. davinlcutch

Three quarters thru the first live week, Idol is a train-wreck in 2010!

February 24, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  107. protogere

I didn't care much for Joe, but he didn't do that bad – best of the night nooo!
    Tyler reminds me of Bo Bice a lot. He butchered those notes, but he wasn't as fake as they made it out to be. I think he presented himself with the genre he is passionate about and they praised him for it so he continued with that same path and now, like they did with Todrick, don't do as we say just do as we want.

February 24, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  108. sR

American Idol has fallen off the cliff (or "...under the bus" lol). Now the guys are appearing as horrible as the girls! What the world is going on?

February 24, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Loray White

LOL protogere. I meant Kris...

February 24, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Arthur

some really bad men's performances so far –
    1st guy: sure you take a song and change it, own arrangement, but it has to work and this missed the mark by miles

the 3rd guy: seriously, Mr Dancer from Joliet IL- was he wanting to get kicked off this round – it was pathetic, but not as pathetic as Ellen saying I like you, your good etc., ...just be a judge Ellen and stop sugar-coating it ......it's like comparing it to people who say " I'm not a racist but......" and then they say something racist-sounding. Even Kara & Randy were just the same, these contestants are there for a competition not to be handled like snowflakes about to scatter in the chilly winds.....

February 24, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Loray White

Seems like a repeat from last night. I'm still waiting for the BOMB songster!

February 24, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  112. protogere

Loray – "I thought Taylor sounded pretty good. Is everyone hearing something different than I am?"
    I guess so because I haven't seen anyone named Taylor up there. ;)

February 24, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  113. protogere

Precisely my point Brownivygal! : )
    Tim was horrible, he seemed completely unprepared for tonight, vocally. But he did say that he had to change it at the last moment, so maybe that is why.
    Jermaine wasn't as good as I thought he was during the Hollywood process, I hope he doesn't miss an opportunity to show his stuff in the future weeks!

February 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Loray White

Ewwww....Simon is really harsh. I thought Taylor sounded pretty good. Is everyone hearing something different than I am?

February 24, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Brownivygal

OMGosh.......Tim Urban is HORRIBLE!!!! I had to turn the channel. The couldn't have replaced the other guy with someone else? Like how about the black kid that they pitted against Andy Garcia during Hollywood week???

February 24, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Loray White

I do hope Simon is wrong. I'd like to see more of Jermaine.

February 24, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  117. protogere

I didn't personally like the genre he re-arranged the song into, but I thought he did a great job. It astounds me that on one night they can sit back and complain at the lack of 'personalizing' a song and then the next when a singer 'makes it his own' they rip him apart for it.
    Aaron sounds so much like Rascal Flatts lead singer it is uncanny – I hope he never covers The Broken Road. Great voice though, especially for his age.

February 24, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Brownivygal

I'm confused, all last night the judges continued to say "change the song, don't make it sound like the original, you don't want to compare it to the original singer" but then completely slam when someone does just that. I LIKED Todrick's version.....I agree the most with Ellen.....just the chorus was rough......but he had Super Power and Presence.

February 24, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |