February 24th, 2010

Man oh man, 'Idol' needs to get it together

testing captions
testing captions

I am not even going to lie – I am still bitter about the Tuesday night performances.

It was as if body snatchers had descended upon the majority of the 12 female contestants, spirited them away and replaced them with mediocre pods. The contestants weren't the only ones who were off: the judges seemed like they were critiquing through molasses at times. Generally the whole night just felt wrong.

I'm counting on the Top 12 guys to remind me why I love this stage of the show. After suffering through some of the foolishness that goes on during the auditions and the tantrums, drama and stress of Hollywood Week, the time has come for some serious entertainment.

My friend Jack commented that the ladies usually set the momentum for the show. Lord knows I hope that's not true, because if so we are in for some serious trouble.

Ryan says tonight will "separate the men from the boys." We shall see.

Here we go.

1. Terry

I was extremly disappointed at the shows this week, the girls were so bad, thought the guys had to be better...wrong! If this keeps up, I will say an early good-bye to Simon.

What's with Kara? She is acting like she is in heat. Sure her husband is very proud of her actions. As for Ellen, she needs to stick with her show. She looks like she is scared to death.

Randy & Simon are great. Hate to see Simon leave, Idol will no longer be entertaining.

February 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jmamma

The judges are a joke this season. I agree, I hope this is the last season if it keeps going on like this. The whole show is shaping up to be very boring. It was hard to watch on both nights!!

February 25, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. nana

Let's send the judges home and just let the audience pick and choose. Period. Why do they get so much money to sit and act important. Makes no sense to me.

February 25, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

How is this show still on the air? Just goes to show the sad state of televison these days...................

February 25, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jan

Rare to find Carrie Underwood...she was a special gift on IDOL but so far this group is rough. It's hard to pick a favorite...and I'm tired of four judges in general...

February 25, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sue

I think having 4 Judges is "indulgent". Its painful to have to listen to 4 different judges who are saying the same thing. 3 is enough.

February 25, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Roger

Terrible, terrible, awful!!! The men were only slightly better than the ladies on Tuesday and that's not saying much! Let's hope as the weeks go on the nerves will subside, the song choices will improve and some real talent will emerge. There are certainly no Carrie Underwood's, Kelly Clarkson's, Kris Allen's or Adam Lambert's in this group!! GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!

February 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. writergal

I'd like to know why Ellen is on the show... she doesn't seem to add much to the mix – except a lot of 'me too' sentiments... yes, this season is shaping up to be BORING.

February 25, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. formeridolfan

Thank goodness for DVR I fastforwared over 90% of last nights contestants.... GET IT TOGETHER.. or re-cast the show. Horrible.

February 25, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Richard

Awful all around. I don't know if it was nerves or what, but they all stank! Truly an unwatchable evening.

February 25, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Str8 Outta TX

i've commented on this stuff too much the last few days to continue to say the same thing. now i'll make another suggestion. a comeback season. bring back the favorites from all the previous seasons who didnt quite make it, and then you'll have talent...
    and have a winner from each gender. you can hardly compare a man and a woman.

February 25, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. melanie

This season is extremely boring and exept for 2 or 3 contestants, none of them are really comfortable and shine on stage. Then again, do I have to let go my memories of last year's amazing performers / performances and settle for less?

February 25, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lori

I agree Sue with your comment, I expected so much more from her, it's almost as if she really does not know what to say, right?

February 25, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. sue

Obviously, Ellen is out of her league here. She doen't know how to critigue. We miss Paula.

February 25, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. BB

What an array of mediocrity! The only singer remotely worth a listen was Casey James and two minutes was plenty thank you. Even the judges were maddening often contradicting themselves in the same critique. The most fun I had was fast forwarding through the commercials and most of the show itself.

February 25, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  16. AFHB

Extremely boring AI. I hope they can pull it together. As usual Simon was correct in his assessments of the constestants both male and female. I am really tired of the 'I really like you but.....' that all the judges keeping parroting. As much as I am a fan of Ellens, I am not sure if she is contributing much. Kara...oh God get rid of her....There was nothing constructive in her criticism...nothing that I could understand. The judges.."change the song" "the song is too old for you" etc., not sure what is mean't by that...If the singer has a great voice and can deliver...??????I am totally confused. I read Patti LaBelle's comments and you know what..she makes a lot of sense....Also, none of the singers seem to be outstanding...maybe later on in the show....I hope so.

February 25, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  17. dee

I quit watching after the first hour. I think I am sooo over Idol. It has gotten predictable and boring. AND... the singers are just not good. I found myself agreeing with Simon's mean comments.

February 25, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  18. Lizzy

I had to f-forward most of the girls because they were soooooo bad and the boys weren't much better!! I miss the days of Bucky! Ellen is useless and Kara needs to stop pretending that she's black!!!!

February 25, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. Deni

I have watched Idol beginning with Season One and I will watch until the end of this season but right now I am seriously hoping there is no next year. The only one I liked from the past two nights was Casey (I think that's his name – the one Kara flips over) and not because of his looks, he was the only one I actually thought his singing was good. There were others I thought I would like from previous performances yet it just is not happening. American Idol is falling flat and I hope Fox pulls it's plug.

February 25, 2010 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. Lori

Not a good start for American Idol season 10

February 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Rhonda

I agree it was extremely hard to stay tuned!

February 24, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dee

Im sorry, but this years canidates are a disappointment. Retire the show...........

February 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Laura

This is the worst IDOL yet. What happened to choosing the top 24 who could actually sing. This is a JOKE!

February 24, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Loray White

Disagree with Simon. I'd like to see more of Jermaine.

February 24, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Brownivygal

I'm confused, all last night the judges continued to say "change the song, don't make it sound like the original, you don't want to compare it to the original singer" but then completely slam when someone does just that. I LIKED Todrick's version.....I agree the most with Ellen.....just the chorus was rough......but he had Super Power and Presence.

February 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Loray White

Hope you're right Lisa. Hey, what's up with Simon and the other female judge? (sorry can't think of her name right now). Why is she looking ga-ga over him?

February 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |