February 24th, 2010

America Ferrera says goodbye to 'Ugly Betty'

As America Ferrera says goodbye to “Ugly Betty” and, consequently, her braces, she welcomes a new chapter in her life as she prepares to walk down the aisle - on the big screen, that is.

Ferrera will star in “Our Family Wedding” as a bride-to-be whose relationship with her African-American fiancé causes a family feud.

In an interview with Parade, Ferrera revealed that, despite her role, she hasn’t given much thought to a wedding of her own.

"I've never really been one of those girls who grew up imagining my wedding day and you know, dreaming about it,” she told the publication. “It was weird to kind of experience the whole wedding scene - like saying your vows, first dance and cutting the cake. It felt a little like a real wedding, but I really have no idea what mine will look like."

Though Ferrera’s excited to embark on a new journey, she said she’ll miss portraying her character, Betty.

"I've lived with this character who I've loved from day one and I have only grown to feel more connected to her and also responsible for making sure her journey is a complete one,” she said. “Her entire journey was about a transformation, kind of coming into her womanhood and owning herself both physically and emotionally. It's hard to say goodbye. I haven't really started going there yet because I still have four episodes to shoot. So I'm staying in denial for now and I'll deal with all those emotions in a little bit. I imagine that when we finally wrap it's not going to be a dry-eyed goodbye."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Sabrina

OMG i just cant believe that they are cancelling the show....
    Im from Malaysia and i never missed watching this show...
    Its very entertaining and fun to watc especially after you come back home from work....Hmmmmmm so sad that some people really dont appreciate other poeple's effort......Dont worry Miss Betty u have a good future out there....

February 28, 2010 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Greg P

Lets hope this show will be picked up by another network like Medium. Ugly Betty is a breath of fresh air and I am sorry to see it go! Come on CBS make another GREAT decision.

February 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Debra

I am sad to see this show go. I was religous about watching this show before Grey's Anatomy and then ABC decided to move around the dates/times of the show. I truly think that is a contributing factor as to why the show got cancelled. I could never find when the show was on and I trust that a lot of others were having the same issue. If they moved it back to its original time slot, I don't think it would have been cancelled. I know Vanessa Williams said the same thing and she was slammed for it, however I fully back her up. It was a great feel good show! I am going to miss it!

February 26, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sharon O

I am going to miss Ugly Betty. The banter between Willie and Marc is always great and Kristen Johnson was such a hoot this season! Here is a show that is diverse, intelligent and sensitive - and it gets the boot! and ABC kept that train wreck "According to Jim" around much longer and it was NEVER a ratings champ (Its first season it rated 51. During its eight year run, it never ranked above 44!).

February 25, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Karen

ABC Blew it again...This is one of the best "modern family" shows thats been on in a long time. Good Luck to all the people on the show. You made me laugh and cry all at the same time.

February 25, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mika

Trying to cope with the future death of Betty! It was bad enough when Henry left. Then Christina and Connor left. Then trying to figure out where it moved to and when. Is it on next week or not?

How will I survive without Betty, Willie, Amanda, Mark and Hilda?

Please please please bring back Ugly Betty!

February 25, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Betty Bryant

I will truly miss this show. The story lines, the characters, the setting in NYC, the great diversity without being the focus was great entertainment. Why is it that the shows with some substance are the ones to go? It was such a nice change of pace from all of these reality shows, medical shows, and gruesome crime shows. . Ugly Betty was a nice change of pace and one of the few shows we looked forward to watching. Moving it all around did not help viewers find the show. ABC missed the boat on this decision.

February 25, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. cap'n

This is a travesty! Who could resist the cast of characters...even kristen johnson? I will surely miss this show; and please ABC – reconsider. We will be left with the garbage of reality TV.

February 25, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Guiliana Italiana

Where do you start with a write in campaign to save this show!!!

February 25, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. AnnR

ABC is making a big mistake in cancelling UB. It is a wonderful show. So unlike others on TV now. ABC has some dog shows it could get rid of. I think it is all $$$ as in "when the show gets to the 5th season the actors get way way more $$$" and ABC does not want to pay it. ABC is losing LOST and all the fans that watch that show. Network TV is becoming nothing but gory crime shows and reality shows. Look to the cable for much better shows.

February 25, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Angel

I will also miss Ugly Betty. I did not like the new time slot on Fridays, and was unhappy when ABC moved it (Thursdays was ALWAYS my favorite TV night and ABC was ALWAYS on the full time)...why mess with a good thing? I did Tivo it on Friday's though, as I usually was not home when it was on and always enjoyed watching it. Why cancel a show with substance when there are so many crappy reality shows on that mean absolutely nothing? The only ones of those I watch are the dancing ones. Keep Ugly Betty and get rid of some of the other useless shows!

February 25, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Barb

The series aired here in Belgium and my overly intelligent husband who normally poo-poos about silly comedies was glued to each episode – brilliantly written, satirical, wit galore, family and honor at the forefront, characters changing into what they would never think they would become and REALLY funny. How could the network toast a series such as that? Phooey. Bring it back!

February 25, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Judy

America Ferrara is a beautiful and talented actress and I will miss her on the little screen. Loved the show and ABC ruined it when they moved it around on their schedule. Ugly Betty should've had a longer run, but no-o-o-o-o, they would rather have a bunch of boring bachelors and bachelorettes cluttering up out living rooms.

February 25, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gloria

I am very disappointed with ABC; Ugly Betty is one of the best comedies in a long time. NBC at least returned Chuck to their programs.
    A lot more intelligence on NBC's part.
    Ugly Betty program will be missed. Thank you

February 25, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. tammi

This was an awesome show and I watched it faithfully until the day it aired was changed. It is a positive show in such a negative world......WE NEED MORE SHOWS LIKE THIS ON TV!! Maybe family values and respect for one another would also be on the increase! So sorry for you ABC...I thought your "intelligent marketing analysist" could figure out the show lost ratings because most people aren't watching TV on prime time Friday Night!!!

February 25, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. Amanda

I agree with JustmeJ.
    I have such a hard time keeping up with the rotation of television shows and their hiatuses. People (well, at least my family and friends) lose interest when you only play 4 episodes at a time and go on 2 month breaks. I can never remember when any of the shows come back on, and then of course they change the day that the show will air, and I just can't keep up. My kids and husband watch Vampire Diaries on CW.. supposedly this show is a hit, but they only aired 9 or 10 episodes went on a huge 2 month break, aired another 4 and then took another break. How can anyone keep up with this? How can anyone stay involved with a series or storyline if that cant even be arsed to actually play a series a full season.
    I am very disappointed about Ugly Betty. I watched it from day one and haven't missed an episode and I am sorry to see how badly it struggled trying to make it in it's new and final home.
    I am just beginning to be so disappointed in TV period.

February 25, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. Liz

Why mess with something that works? I've watched this show from the begining, I'll miss all the characters and the actors. Please reconsider taking it off the air.

February 25, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  18. Suge

What a great show, it's a shame they are cancelling it. I really enjoyed Ugly Betty, and like others have said, only thanks to my DVR have I been able to watch this show thanks to ABC constantly shuffling the show around.... ABC always makes mistakes with their programming though, no surprise that they have cancelled another great show.

February 25, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  19. jadeix

I never watched the show, but I read and heard good reviews about it. It's a shame. Network TV is nothing but garbage now. Cable and satellite is much better viewing.

February 25, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  20. angie

Why? This is a good show. A show that the family can watch together. Just put the show back on.........

February 25, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jeanine

I'm going to miss this show. The characters were so funny! I loved each and every one of them. I noticed from the start of the season that the writing was off. They probably lost viewers due to this. Too bad they couldn't get it together on another network.

February 25, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. Terry from West Texas

I have a terrific idea to replace Ugly Betty. I hope ABC executives are reading this. Why don't we put 6 women and 6 men who have obnoxious personalities together and every week one of them gets voted off the show! It's new, it's fresh, it's original!

Ugly Betty is just a cheap knockoff of other shows! Well, the plots are different and the sets are different and the characters are very original, but it has actors and actresses, just like all the other scripted dramas. How boring! Same old same old.

February 25, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  23. Anita

Well, ABC as you can see by all of these comments, there are a lot of people who are very upset by the removal of this awesome show!! If you would take the time to listen to your viewers you might heed their words. Like many have said, this is one of the few (if not only show) that covers many cultures, ages, sexes and preferences without being vulgar and can be enjoyed by all!!! I doubt you will change your minds, but please do!!!

February 25, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  24. kjtl

Oh, I love this show. I'm very sad to hear of its cancellation. They should never have moved it from Thursday night. Networks are so stupid!!

February 25, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  25. LCM

Mary, PLEASE......You are delusional. "Ugly Betty" is better suited for Nickelodeon than some major network TV. Obviously, you have absolutely no sense of humor if you're giving "How I Met Your Mother" a big thumbs down. With your tv standards, I suggest you stick to soap operas and kid's tv shows.

February 25, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  26. tracy

Ugly Betty was a fabulous, intelligent & hilarious show. All the best to the cast & crew – it has been GREAT fun! Another season (or two) would have made sense though - a huge fan base plus all the workings for great TV, too bad another network didn't pick up the show!

February 25, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  27. Anne

Ugly Betty was one of the few shows that I watch. I'm really dissapointed that it is going to be cancelled. I really wish the network had't messed with the time slot. The time slot changed so much that viewers didn't know from one day to the next when it was going to be shown. ABC shoots its own foot on this one.

February 25, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  28. MB

Please keep Ugly Betty on the air!!

February 25, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  29. LongTimeFan

Look at what they did to Eastwick!! Sorry, but the Eastwick fans put a boycott on Ugly Betty. Ugly Betty moved into Eastwick's spot, and the fans of Eastwick refused to tune in. Power of the people. Watch out ABC, you may be next.

February 25, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  30. puzzledinmycube

What happened?!!! They finally get a comedy show worth watching and then... Sorry to see it end but I guess all good things must come to an end, no?

February 25, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  31. Cdpf of Norfolk, VA

ABC should have left that show on the same time slot alone as it was good back then. I am still seething with CBS for cancelling "Guiding Light" and soon to be cancelled "As The World Turns." The CEOs of ABC [name unknown] and CBS [Leslie Moonves] now both traitors to the viewing audience must be in bed together [makes good for their humiliating sex scandal-although they deserve each other].

February 25, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  32. colleen

I too am totally ticked off that they are canceling Ugly Betty. I was so angry when they started moving the time slots around. It is one of my 3 favorite shows. Since they moved it around I usually watch it online the next day. There is really not a lot of good shows on TV anymore. I think it is a very bad decision on the part of ABC.
    I am very upset about this!

February 25, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  33. Angie

Wow, truly amazing they are removing this show. There is not alot of good, funny and decent shows left on any of the networks but I guess good and decent is no longer popular based on all the crap that's on tv these days. Sad, sad, sad – I LOVE Ugly Betty!!!!!!

February 25, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  34. Rob

I'm sorry to hear that Ugly Betty is being cancelled. I used to watch it every Thursday until the network kept moving it around. I could never figure out exactly what day or time it was on. In my opinion the network killed the show not the lack of fan base. I guess I will just have to stick with my Grey's Anatomy on Thursday's. I sure hope it doesn't start to get moved around.

February 25, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  35. JJ

Love Ugly Betty. Have never missed an episode in spite of the constant schedule changes. In my opinion, ABC is making a HUGE mistake! It takes a lot to get me involved enough in a show to watch it regularly, and this is the only thing I watch during ABC Prime Time.

It's probably too late to change directions now, but I'd like to say PLEASE reconsider canceling Betty!! I'm going to miss her sooooo much!

ABC....what are you thinking? Huge mistake happening here.

February 25, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  36. lori

i love betty too. i think that we should start a facebook campaign to let betty stay!!!! it worked for getting betty white on saturday night live!!

February 25, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  37. tim

Going to miss seeing Vanessa L. Williams – man she was good! And Eric Mabius is just so freaking HOT!

February 25, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  38. Robin

I will miss watching Ugly Betty. Especially Vanessa Williams, she a really great actress.

February 25, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  39. Raquel

ABC has it wrong - this show is a hit with a huge fan base. They need to re-evaluate their decision and take some responsibility for moving its time slot in the first place. The characters are well defined. There's always a good story line each week to keep the audience tuned in. It's still a fresh concept - there's nothing else on TV like it. We need to SAVE BETTY!

February 25, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  40. deepwater

Betty's babealicius!!!!!

February 25, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  41. Sheila

I looked forward to Thursday nights at 8, Friday nights at 9 and now Wednesday nights at 10. This has been the one show that I tune in to every week – new shows and repeats. How disappointing that it's been cancelled. Tell me it ain't so!! Move it back to Thursdays at 8pm and I'll bet the ratings will go up!

February 25, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  42. Clive UK

It was popular in the UK as well. The key problem is that drama is much more expensive to make than all this 'reality' rubbish.

February 25, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  43. ROBIN

Way to go ABC. Chalk another one up to yet another hugh mistake by ABC. Let me guess!! You're going to replace Ugly Betty with yet another stupid and boring reality show, because they are cheaper to make and cheaper to pay the so-call "ACTORS". Yea, we really want to see another Jersey Shore, Operation Repo. Talk about digging to the bottom of the barrel for people to act. Ugly Betty – wonderful acting. You will be missed Betty, Mark, Amanda, Daniel, Wilhelmina and the rest of the cast.

February 25, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  44. DwnDiva

I am going to be very very SAD when this show gets canceled.,this is my #2 favorite show after Grey Anatomy.....DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  45. shaun

Ugly Betty: The Movie!

February 25, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  46. Peggy Smith

I cannot believe that Ugly Betty is being cancelled! It is one of the few good shows left on television today. All of the new comedies suck and I am sick to death of reality shows. Let's hope that the network comes to its senses and keeps this gem of a show on the air I love all of the characters and the actors who portray them - they will be sorely missed.

February 25, 2010 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  47. Jensen

HEARTBROKEN that UGLY BETTY has been cancelled! This show always made me laugh and smile. I wish ABC would reconsider or another network would pick it up. Fans saved the series "Chuck", why can't we "SAVE BETTY!!!"

February 25, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  48. Galoux

Someone wanted to know if there was a petition. One that's short and to the point is here: http://www.petitiononline.com/764398/petition.html.

February 25, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  49. mari

Ugly betty is a great show!! It's different and very diverse. I never understood why was change from thursday to wednesday. If they are trying to push throught the viewers noses their Nurse, hospitals and doctors's shows, they are wrong. Ugly Betty was the reason to keep the channel on to the line-up programing. Ugly Betty is a good comedy.

February 25, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  50. LA

Come on NBC...pick up Ugly Betty for one of your 10pm time slots after it goes off ABC. Wonderful, fun show, better than all these stupid reality shows that are on.

February 25, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jessica

I'm really going to miss this show – one of my faves. :(

February 25, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  52. Galoux

What?! No more Betty La Fea? Oh, man. I didn't know. This so sucks. I am hooked on that show. Consistently funny and innovative. Yeah, the plot's been all over the place lately, but come on. This was one of the best shows on network TV–fresh, funny, great cast, clean without being squeaky, and with a lot of heart.

February 25, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  53. Northern Virginian

I agree with everybody here – this is one of the best shows on TV

February 25, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  54. Eva

This is the first time I cried about losing a tv show. I'm just like UB. She touches my heart every week.

February 24, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jill

Ugly Betty is a truly wonderful show. It's smart, clever, and very funny. It will truly be missed. I love America's work! All the best, America!!!

February 24, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Brian

Facebook group Save Ugly Betty

February 24, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  57. deloreli

thank god ugly betty is cancelled. should of been cancelled from day one. too bad vanessa williams had to lowered herself to be on that show

February 24, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  58. My Fellow America

She gave me the googly eyes once at a second hand store.

February 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sandy Griffin

In our household, we are going to miss the Ugly Betty show very much. All of the actors are well cast and each has perfect comedic delivery. At the same time, this series is both funny , and very compassionate. It is too bad one of the best comedies on TV has to be cancelled.

February 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  60. who cares

Moving to N.Y. was the Kiss of Death.....America turned Diva.....

February 24, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  61. margaret

I'm gonna miss Ugly Betty, why can't another station pick it up. I can't
    stand the new series with the girl gets pregnant, thats the dumbest show, I'll
    will not watch. Ugly Betty had a little bit of everyone on her show. ABC sucks.

February 24, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Marcia

Lifetime, anyone, please pick up this show! I cannot believe such a funny, clean, quality program is being cancelled, no doubt due to the idiotic decision to move its time slot at least twice. It wasn't broken, and it shouldn't have been fixed. ABC, shame on you.

PLEASE BRING BACK UGLY BETTY!

February 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jack Hendersen

Why can't ABC get rid of Diane Sawyer instead. We're all tired of her. Ugly Betty was a great show. Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters are two tired boring old overpaid newscasters. I'd much rather see them and their shows go than to see Ugly Betty go.

February 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Sian

ABC is worse than NBC when it comes to understanding and appreciating your audience...they air wonderful shows, but always manage to cancel them! Bad move ABC

February 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  65. ben

I agree with most of the comments here. Its a shame that the show is getting canceled and more then likely get replaced with some mindless stupid show. I've been watching this show since day one nd i've followed it regardless of the changing of timeslots. I have never connected to tv show until ugly betty. its a shame to see it go, i wish the cast all the best. I really need to buy this series, i think its the best one so far!

February 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ugh

good....go away. terrible show. i can't wait to miss it.

February 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Corrine

UGLY BETTY ROCKS! They are so stupid to cancel it.

February 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Brian

A really funny and witty show...what a shame they have cancelled it due to their mismanagement of its time slot. Great actors and characters. Join the Facebook group trying to save the show!! Tell your friends, maybe we can make a difference.

February 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Chad

So many people can relate to Ugly Betty, it is a feel good show, for these troubling times many of us are having in our lives. ABC is JUST WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! with cancelling it. I hope another network will pick it up!

February 24, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Monica

I LOVE BETTY!!!!!

February 24, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Adam

Give Mark and Amanda a spin-off!!!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Joe

ABC execs are idiots. They have no common sense when it comes to leaving good shows on the air. They removed George Lopez in favor of some stupid caveman series... which tanked immediately. For those goofs who didn't like UB, they better understand that if the idiots at ABC are willing to remove a decent show, they will soon pull the plug on their favorites as well. It's no wonder I prefer other networks to ABC; which should stand for Absolute Bull Crap.

February 24, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Tony D

WOW!! Is this really happening? The networks just don't get it! This show is so solid on so many levels. We NEED shows like this to offset the grime that is being fed to us. We should ALL write in to voice our opinions. We NEED this show to stay on!! Lets do it people! WE LOVE BETTY!!! WE LOVE BETTY!!! WE LOVE BETTY!!!

February 24, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Leslie

Totally bummed ABC cancelled Ugly Betty!! It started out so hot (Emmys) & just a few years later, it's not??

February 24, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  75. That Girl

oops – sorry it posted twice... with some changes:)

February 24, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  76. That Girl

My husband and I LOVE UB. We are very disappointed that it is cancelled. After every episode I wanted to keep watching – I just think the writing is fantastic. This has happened to many shows we've liked in the past, such as Becker, Stark Raving Mad (with Neil Patrick Harris), and several others, all with GREAT writing! What garbage shows are on now? The Bachelor??? NO THANK YOU. Moving shows around that much is the kiss of death, and yes, they know this...

February 24, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  77. nmhwv

It seems to me that another network in need of some 10:00 p.m. shows–NBC– would snap Ugly Betty up in a heartbeat!

February 24, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Edwin Reyes

This show give latino kids hope to be more than, latinos are expected to be in this country, like being an editor for a magazine.And puts down some latino macho believes showing a family who embrace their gay kid.I will miss this show so much.But we still have Gaby Solis an George lopez to represent latinos.Thank you Salma Hayeck for giving us Ugly Betty!

February 24, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jojo

I'm absolutely devastated to lose the very clever, constantly witty and absolutely delightful "Ugly Betty" show. Shame on ABC for not only moving its time slot around relentlessly but for also thinking it can do without this extraordinary ensemble cast on its network. It's been just plain fun to watch every week and, like most fans, I feel that I'm losing a favorite TV family. I can't think of another network show (especially on ABC) that is as arch or as timely or as constantly amusing.

Special kudos to everyone connected with the show - actors, producers, writers, directors, stylists, set design, cameras, (and anyone else I unintentionally missed who is involved in the making of each show). It was ALWAYS apparent that each person affiliated with this show obviously contributed their very best to each production. Thanks, "Ugly Betty", for such a remarkable show!

February 24, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Esther

Ugly Betty is an entertaining and well written show. America Ferrara is fantastic. I will miss it very much

February 24, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Lunagirl

I am going to miss this show so sad!!!!

February 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  82. mcpopp

Is there a petition going to get them to reverse this decision? I'll sign. Twice if they let me.

February 24, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Choconet

I'm definitely buying this season when it comes out on DVD. I'm so disappointed in ABC, but should have expected it. They do this all the time, get you hooked on a show, bounce it around time slots, and then kill it. It was so hard to follow it to Fridays at 10:00pm. I'd either forget or fall asleep. That's why I rarely watch network TV, Ugly Betty was the only show I watch on network TV. I will miss the cast of characters especially, the barbs Wilimena and Claire traded with each other. Meow!

February 24, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Rebecca K. Valdez

Por favor–Please - Can't CBS or NBC pickup this show for one more year!!! It is far better than CBS's "Two Dads" or NBC's "Mercy" !!! It's a very enthnically diverse show about a "model" young woman making her mark in the fashion world. Are there no smart tv executives who could make a deal to rescue " UB" from the cluthces of cancellationdom??!! Couldn't a Cable station pick it up– is there no group or Salma Hayek's company that could "Save" the show???!! Are we doomed to have the usua badl fare of shows we always get from the networks!!!!

February 24, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Saab

"Ugly Betty" gets cancelled while "Jersey Shore" gets a second season. LOL. Hilarious! "Jersey Shore" is a piece of garbage with a cast of trash. Can't believe it is still on. More surprising is that those idiot cast members get paid! Goes to show anyone can make it nowadays...

February 24, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Christian

What is the problem with ABC ?, there are so many show's that they need to be cancel and Ugly Betty it's so full of postive energy...Im going to be very sad !! Im hoping that they are just joking about this...

February 24, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  87. PJ

I love this show.. it's one of only three that I watch every week and never missed an episode, though often watched it recorded. If they replace this with octomom I will never watch TV again. I love Betty and every other character too.

February 24, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  88. CJ

I've been watching UB since it premiered and have followed it through the strikes and the time/day changes. I agree with the posters who feel that it is a smart, well-written, well-acted show–one that ABC should be FIGHTING to save!! I am also furious that mindless comedies (with wifebeaters as stars) that insult our intelligence would be favored over this very sweet show with role models for nearly everyone and good lessons for all. Really bad move, ABC. Show some class for once.

February 24, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Rosemary

I'll miss the utter silliness of it. It was such a breath of fresh air not to have a doctor/lawyer/psychic/forensic/reality themed hour just to sit and enjoy some fun yet remarkably touching characters. I wouldn't be nearly as upset over the cancellation of any other network program.

February 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Moi

My favorite show. Superb cast, totally with it, incredibly funny... Vanessa Williams. Don't it always seem to go...

February 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Melanie Richard

Ugly Betty was really good. The cinematography and colors were great. The story was actually good writing. I loved it when the guy from CSI Miami made his appearances this year. What a treat! Eye CANDY.
    The show had a good respectable run and was very well done!!
    It was a guilty little pleasure, and always wished Dave was working so I could watch it. (:

February 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  92. BJ

sorry to see this one go – get rid of "how I met your mother or some other crap like that get rid of 2 1/2 men tired of Sheens B-S–t

February 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Lynette

So sad that the show is being canceled. I LOVE Ugly Betty – the cast
    of characters GREAT. One of the few shows that I tried not to miss every week. But with all the scheduling changes – they made it diffucult
    to keep up. To each and everyone associated with the show GREAT JOB. You will be missed!

February 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  94. voglw

Am sad to hear about Ugly Betty leaving. One of the best shows in awhile. Mark and Amanda are fantastic!! Wilemina's role is spectacular. Not the best show I have ever seen, but compared to what is out there these days (reality shows, CSI, The Cougar with Courtney Cox), this one rocks!

February 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Kathy

I loved the show, and watched every week, until it suddenly moved. I will miss it, and agree with most that the replacement will likely be one more really bad stupid program.

February 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Murray

Mary Gachet wrote
    "why lose this show! when there are so many other shows on that truly suck! Like how I met you mother! I hate that freaking show, 21/2 men, with drunk charlie sheen, and that nasty show about the chick sleeping around and is accidental pregnant. Get crap like this off the air, and save Betty!!"
    ____
    While I love the shows you mentioned (except for the pregnant lady one) I agree that Ugly Betty should be kept over any other shows. It is funny and of great quality.

February 24, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  97. JENNIFER

I loved UB. It is so funny. I love the fact that it didn't make color the main issue. It was about people of all races and gender. The worse part is those stupid, low moral reality shows will remain on! How sad and sick. They are so bad! They have no social value except to make women look bad. UB you will be missed. Good luck America and Vanessa and the rest of the awesome cast.

February 24, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  98. KEF

My best friend and I started watching this show when it first came out and we have loved it since! I will miss it.

February 24, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Elaine

Why is it that the networks get rid of all the good programming and keep the garbage. I never missed Betty until they moved the show to another time slot.

February 24, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Linda

I love this show and I am so pissed that it is going off the air. Why did they start shifting the time slot? I bet they lost a lot of viewers like that. I am sorry to see it go.

February 24, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  101. fullerbullsky

It really frost my tail that they have chosen to cancel this show. It was well written, well acted and had a good, fun, story line. I will miss the trials and struggles of Betty and especially miss Vanessa Williams. Really, could anyone have played a better (you fill in the blank) than she? She was really fine!

February 24, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Alla

It is very sad to see this show cancelled.
    A lot of viewers did not know that it was moved.
    I find out only thanks to my DVR ( I was recording this show and it stayed in the DVR memory)
    Ugly Betty was my escape after long day.
    It is may be a little of fairy tail, but we some times need one.

February 24, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  103. LW

I will miss this show so much!!! It was extremely clever and well-written.

February 24, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Sandra

This season I have watched every episode on the internet because of ABC switching time slots all the time. "Ugly Betty" has a very talented cast and the show is very entertaining without all the foul words that's used on CBS monday night comedy. The show will probably be replaced with a so called, "reality show"! Good Luck to the cast and I wish them nothing but the best!!

February 24, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  105. whatweretheythinking?

Lifetime should have picked this up....

February 24, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Christina

I don't see that ABC has such a stellar lineup that they feel they can afford to lose this show. It featured some of the most intelligent writing on TV and had a huge following until they started messing with it's time slot. Almost like they were trying to kill it off. And the networks wonder why no one watches them anymore? Because of poorly thought out management like this!

February 24, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Diane

Dumbest show I've ever seen...good riddance!

February 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Frank Sanders

Ugly Betty was a great show. Too bad tired old "American Idol" and "Lost" are still around while Ugly Betty is being canceled. Why can't it be the other way around.

February 24, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Lisa

So sad. Stopped watching the show for a bit, but started watching again this season. So funny! Sad to see such a funny, well-acted show disappear.....probably to be replaced with yet another reality (right) show.

February 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  110. frenpen

THEY ALWAYS TAKE OFF THE SHOWS WE LOVE TO WATCH. Ugly Betty is one funny show, sorry to see it get yanked. I'm sure it will be replaced by some usless reality show.

February 24, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Rose

I LOVE BETTY! I can't imagine that we are not going to have this wonderful show on any longer! Get rid of those stupid ones that project sex, drinking, lying, sleeping with each others husbands/wives, all the reality shows, yuck!! This was one that give a young woman character and truthfully showed how to deal with various areas of growing into yourself. The love/hate relationship with your co-workers...so true! Please reconsider! Selma do your magic and keep Ugly Betty! How about changing the name to just BETTY! There is nothing ugly about America.

February 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  112. jeff

I have an idea. Why don’t they have the star be one of these 500 lb women I see herding along the city streets. Ugly Betty, Please! Maybe ugly by Hollywood standards.

February 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Miguel in NY

Ugly Betty was one of the few TV shows with any style or heart, and gay characters that were not shoved off into a corner. It was worth it just to see Vanessa Williams be sassy as Wilhelmina Slater. America Ferrara was one of the most likeable and sympathetic characters on TV and she deserved the Emmy award she won a couple of years ago. It will be missed!

February 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  114. birdy

i can NOT believe they are canceling this show. what are they thinking?

February 24, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Susan

I was a big fan of Ugly Betty until the writer's strike hit. Then I just never got back into it. It had excellent writers and character development ... there should be more shows of this caliber.

February 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Christopher D

Saddened to hear of UB's cancellation,a sweet,funny show. When it debuted in late 2006,I thought it was just some spin-off of the recent hit film"The Devil Wears Prada"(learned it was actually based on a Latin-American soap opera).The other comments are correct;more than likely "Betty" 's replacement will be some subpar drivel... Will miss the show's unforgettable cast,esp. Ms. Ferrera-hope her new movie does very well!!!

February 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Tee

Love UB. Will miss it. I still don't understand why it was moved and cancelled. I thought the show had good ratings and was doing well. Once they moved it to Fridays, I tended forget it was on and missed several episodes. Surely ABC knew this would happen. The must have done it on purpose.

February 24, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Christopher D

Saddened to here of UB's cancellation;a sweet,funny show. When it debuted in late 2006,I thought it was just some spin-off of the recent hit film "The Devil Wears Prada"(learned it was actually based on a Latin-American soap opera). The other comments are correct;more than likely "Betty" 's replacement will be some subpar drivel... Will miss all the show's unforgettable cast,esp. Ms. Ferrera-hope her new movie does very well!!!

February 24, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Doug

An excellent, well-written series with talented actors that I will miss a lot.

February 24, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  120. amanda

love me some ugly betty!! so sad and will really miss these characters :(

February 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  121. deb

I liked this show the first two years but got kind of bored after that. I am sad, though, because it was one of the few original type shows out there. I'm sick to death of reality shows that do nothing but promote selfish, narcissistic behavior! More and more the reality shows are sensationalist and tasteless and our society certainly could do with less of that garbage. We need a few good role models out there with integrity, compassion and class.

February 24, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  122. starzzguitar

This is a very good show on many levels, and teaches many life lessons, including getting along with all kinds of people. Too bad some just don't get it. The character Betty has a heart of gold. That quirky cast is a riot, and I mean everybody.

February 24, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Tee

This show was very good. It crossed all racial back grounds. Leave the garbage on and take off a good show. That makes a lot of sense.

February 24, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Char

I'll miss Ugly Betty. Wilhemina Slater is one of the greatest TV characters of all time.

February 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  125. JustmeJ

I liked this show, but I have found (as is with many others) – the network kept changing its timeslot. I would look for this program on one day at a certain time and find it wasn't on or? was a rerun.

Then I would see it on another timeslot, on another day.

If the networks can remain consistent with their timeslots, viewers like me may not be so confused, and in the end? give up and watch something else entirely.

This goes for not just this show – but pretty much anything worthwhile that is currently on the telly.

February 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Yvonne Davis

ABC really blew it. They had the best comedy show on their network and could not leave well enough alone. They had the perfect time slot on Thursday's preceding Grey's Anatomy. I will really miss Wilhelmina, Betty and of course, Mark and Amanda. What a great show.

February 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Jess

This was a show I truely enjoyed!!! Thank you to to all of the cast and Salma for bringing this show to main stream America. I look forward towards the last episode. Hopefully it can end similarly to the novela... I will miss this show.

February 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Trish

It only got canceled because ABC moved it to a different date and time. I watched the show regularly until they moved it.

February 24, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Damon

Well it was a runaway hit when it first came out..but the writers strike messed up alot fo these shows..and then the doomed moves to Friday didn't make it any better..

February 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  130. marih

It was a good show for our teenage daughter. It had fashion, a hardworking young woman full of intergrity and kindness. I dread thinking about what it will be replaced with. Hopefully not a "Sex in the City" show for preteens!

February 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Becky

The show was not all that bad. 110% better than most shows on tv today. The so called reality shows are far from it-very hokey I'd say!!!!

February 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Kristi

Good riddance to bad garbage!

The networks will probably replace it with something equally dumb though...

February 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Amanda

I'll miss Betty. The candy-colored sets, the sweet love of the Suarez family, the ridiculous drama that you actually care about because, while hilarious, the characters are all ones that you want to see come out on top – yeah. Good escape, and definitely one that I've enjoyed.

February 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Crookers

i never watched the show.....but i'll miss hearing about it on tv.......if that makes any sense.

February 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Lindsay

This is one of my favorite shows on TV and I am really disappointed that it is getting cancelled!

February 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Brad

America Ferrera is a fantastic actress. If I wasn't married... America Ferrera was fantastic in Women Have Curves. I mentioned to my wife that not only is she a very talented but can go a long way as an actress, and she agreed.
    We hope that she gets another show soon.

February 24, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Kara

Super sad that she is leaving. I loved Ugly Betty! America your my favorite!

February 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Mary Gachet

February 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Head Diva In Charge

To be honest, the only reason I watched the show was because there was a Chinese Crested dog on it.....but every time I did watch, it was funny!

February 24, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |