February 24th, 2010

Alec Baldwin talks retirement

Alec Baldwin gave a candid interview to "American Morning's" Alina Cho in which he talked about his hope for fostering young talent, his apprehension at hosting the Oscars - and giving up acting entirely.

"As much as I like acting," Baldwin said, "I know that I would like to have a different life." He's tired of being a tabloid staple, he added, and would like to push the spotlight away - as much as possible, anyway.

"I want to find out how close can I get," he said.

Watch the interview here:

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. home improvement

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He used to be entirely right. This publish truly made my day. You can not believe simply how so much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

August 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. vineyard photography

I will right away grab your rss as I can not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you've any? Kindly let me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

April 18, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. jeff

he is a smug pompus ass

February 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jonathan

I think it's funny how people here talk about Alex leaving the Country – truth is, he NEVER said it! It was made up by some Right Wing evil-dooers and you know how they latch onto things – like Rush with Oxycotton... Anyway, even Bill O'Rielly was challenged with this – as he wanted Alex on his show... Alex agreed to go on "The No-Spin Zone", as long as Bill would find the source of Alex's announcement to "leave the Country". If Bill could not find it, he would know that is was fabricated – and indeed that was the case, so O'Rielly HIMSELF said that Alex never said it – for what it's worth (you can look this up in O'Rielly's clips – if he was man enough to keep it), and I saw the interview when it first aired. How funny to see Bill with that frown have to admit that Alex never said it!

Anyway, like most of us who are willing to admit, we are all human and do make mistakes, but when you are in the public eye, those mistakes can be broadcasted for everyone to see. While there have been some notable events by Alex, certainly we all have had some of our own gaffes that we would be embarrassed about and not want exposed to the world, no?

February 28, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Patricia

His fans needn't worry - he's not going to retire, just like he wasn't going to take any pills. He's saying he's going to retire just so people will beg him not to. He can't manipulate his family any more, so now he's doing it to his fans.

February 28, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Patricia

That stunt he pulled with his daughter, making her think he OD'd on pills, was absolutely disgraceful.

He's a very charming man and he always knows how to charm his fans and get them on his side.

But it sounds like there are at least two women in the world who are not going to be charmed and manipulated by that disgraceful child-man ever again.

February 28, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. wkl

Alec is like the EVERYONE ELSE, when our careers are over, we retire although most people don't have a need to tell everyone. We retire quietly, volunteer, mentor, teach and enjoy life. Alec appears to be a needy soul. Poor guy!

February 27, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Asher

Too bad he didn't consider it before making "It's Complicated". I don't know which I disliked more – his sleazy character, or his really piss-poor portrayal of the character...

February 27, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

Oh please please please retire. I had hoped he would leave the country back with Bush was elected to his second term. He of course didn't follow through on his promise. What a shock.

February 26, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pam Harris

Alec,if you really want out of the spotlight, retire and keep a low profile for a few years and you will become "That guy who used to be on that show...what's his name again...I forget?" People forget quickly in our culture. In a few years you just be another version of Vanilla Ice or something. Nobody will remember you and nobody will care. But with your ego I have a hard time believing that you really want that life.

February 26, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. sheppard

Love Alec! He'll be missed if he follows through with this plan!

February 25, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. alumette

Politically, I am on his side, but why was he soooo nice to Palin? gag. I did not get that one.

February 25, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. alumette

Male actors don't retire until they are old as dirt. They keep getting offers and they take them. He may just have discovered personal issues he feels he has to handle before he runs out of time. Who knows? we don't.
    Best of luck to him....either way. I never watch anything he is in. He makes me nervous....he sends these controlling vibes that spell....stress....over eating, over the top everything. Brrr.

February 25, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. alumette

He appears ready to explode at any minute. I see a little manic depressive, obsessive compulsive character in there somewhere. I think it runs in the family....mental instability.

February 25, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. alumette

Did he just try to commit suicide? Sounds like he has big issues. All of these brothers have issues with addictions, violence. aggressive behavior and brainwashing ( the evangelistic one). It may just run in the family either genetically or the upbringing. Sorry about that.

February 25, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Matt

I have an idea, if you move to Canada you can be a celebrity and not be famous! WIN WIN!!

February 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MSquared

He's one of the few bright spots on 30 Rock...Jane Krakowski & Tracy Morgan just irritate me too much to watch it anymore; his dramatic work is excellent; and his Hulu commercials are some of the best on TV right now...he can do whatever he wants at this point.

February 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JimmyFlimmy

What a sad group of partisan haters. Talking as if any of you know the man, and gleefully bashing him just because of his politics and an incident from his personal life.

February 25, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sarah

I love him! He's hilarious! Don't retire Alec.

February 25, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Uncle Joe

I met Baldwin once years ago when he was campaigning for some Democrat for New York governor (who lost the election by the way).

Instead of being decent enough to shake hands, he gave me this dirty look and walked away after I approached him.

Since then you couldn't pay me to watch any TV show or movie that Baldwin is in.

Baldwin, and those in his profession, should understand that they wouldn't be worth millions of dollars and live in fancy houses if it wasn't for the fans who shell out money for movie theatre tickets.

February 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dean

I thought he moved out of the country about 9 years ago?????

February 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. twogimics4

can't wait....goodby good ridence

February 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. anne

It is scary how much negativity there is over something so small. If you’re not a fan, and are truly uninterested in Alec’s plans...then don’t read the article. Why get all worked up over it and put more negativity in the world. Just stupid.

I read this article, because I’m a fan, and I enjoy watching him on 30 Rock. So I hope he sticks around a little longer.

February 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Scout Finch

He is so talented and so very tourtured. He cannot claim any responsibility for his own actions. He screams about those who exploit and make public his own bad behavior yet he changes nothing about himself so there is nothing to report.

Until Alec realizes he is the only problem in his life, no matter what he does or where he goes it will always be the same.

February 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Erica

Too talented to retire!

February 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. sepehr

i loooooooooooooooooove Alec alot.he is sooooooo talented.so handsome too.he is active in many good fields too.he uses his fame 4 helping others.he is a nice kind man...

February 25, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mountbyte

He looks alot like William Shatner from the Priceline commercials.

February 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Steve Herrera

More power to him if he can retire wealthily and actually attain whatever it is he wants, We should all be so lucky to have that option. He should quit whining and just do it already.

February 25, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  29. JJ

Maybe he should retire now.

He appears to have too MANY personal DEMONS that he needs to address.

He seems to HATE everything! Get HELP Al. You need it.

February 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Buster

The media couldn't care less about actors. They're only interested in celebrities, and if Baldwin quits acting, he'll still have the stink of celebrity about him. Retirement won't help what ails him.

February 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Kyle/Temecula

Good. Is he going to retire his mouth too?

February 25, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Julian

Ever notice that people with the most hateful things to say usually also prove their own ignorance with poor grammar and misspelled words? Stupid and hateful is a sad (but common) phenomenon these days.

February 25, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  33. braxton

Baldwin is a grade A narcissist. Along with being a really angry guy. Who does he think he is kidding with this stuff?

February 25, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Masilo

I do seem to remember him also saying something about leaving the US if GW Bush was elected. While I do not feel as negative about him as some posters do, I do take what he says about such things with a grain or two of salt.

February 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Ken Hedden

I really appreciate Mr. Baldwin's desire to have a normal life..... but this is the same guy that was going to leave this country if Bush got elected again? I really enjoy the characters he has brought to the screen. If this really is his last year on 30 rock he will be missed. Maybe Steve Martin will take over for him on 30 rock? From interviews and the parts he takes in movies and TV he seems like a good guy. He will be missed as an actor.

February 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Woody

Baldwin's personal behaviors are, and have been, demonstrably worse than even Tiger Woods (if one were to rank bad behavior), yet why no pressure on NBC or it's sponsors to knock this narcissistic monster out of the limelight, the way pressure was put on Woods and his sponsors (correctly so, i might add)? Especially after the last mental anguish episode he allowed to happen with his young daughter. Just deporable!

Baldwin is always threating self imposed exiles but never follows through. Man up ther Alex and be a man of your word for once in your life!

February 25, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. T-Bone

Everybody complains. Speak to a doctor and she'll tell you, "I would have done my life differently," or a businessman: "I would have been a teacher," etc. Funny, people work their entire lives to make it in showbusiness and here is Alec Baldwin essentially complaining about how little he enjoys being able to make a great living doing his craft. The tabloids aren't his problem; his messed up divorce is.

February 25, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jack

Good riddance---

February 25, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. CathyB

I think he is such a talented actor and it would be a shame to see him retire. He is a genius on 30 Rock and was the best in It's Complicated. He is such a great talent and such a handsome man.

Unfortunately, his personal life and relationship with his daughter has been the spotlight of media attention. I think he has taken the high road in this situation and I would be interested to hear his side in terms of manipulation involving his ex wife.

Hang in there Alec! you ROCK

February 25, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Sally

If he really wants to not be a tabloid staple then stop giving interviews, do the job he is paid for, and keep his life and actions quiet.

It is hypocritical to complain about being the object of the tabloids when he is on a tabloid show.

February 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  41. valerie sorensen

"Milfford Biggenson" must be directly related to the Baldwins.

DeNiro? Pacino? Brando?

LMFAO! You MUST be joking!!

LOL!

February 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Alexander Bernal

RETIRE or shut up! I hate established actors who "toy" with the idea of retiring, putting us on edge, and then they don't; or they make a faux "comeback" a few years later. I'm sick of this. Stay in or get the heck out – that's what I say. Stop pussy-footin' around and make up your own mind.

February 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. ew

I'll believe it when I see it. He said he was gonna leave the country too but I'm still waiting for that!!

February 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  44. The L

Oh and he wasn't 100% correct about Bush either? Only an idiot would condemn Alec for wanting to leave a country run by another idiot.

February 25, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Lori

I adore this Guy.I am also from Long Island and we are very proud of him. He is such a likeable guy and a very talented actor. Hope to run into him someday.

February 25, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Bull

Alec,calm down.Go have a good lunch.You'll feel better.

February 25, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dud

He will back out of this just like he did when he said he would leave the country if Bush became president. He wasn't a man of his word then and I doubt he will be now.

February 25, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  48. Linda

This "pig's" retirement can't come soon enough!

February 25, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  49. Milfford Biggenson

Alec Baldwin is, one of the greats, right up there with De Niro, Pacino, Brando etc. In fact, he's even better because he can straddle comedy and drama without forcing it and is equally marvelous at both. He is truly one of my favorite dramatic actors as well as one of my favorite comedic actors. That he even agreed to 30 Rock is a miracle (which I love) but the show is far better for his presence.

If he wants to retire that's his business but I'm definitely not the only one who will miss his wit and charm.

February 25, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  50. Head Diva In Charge

I think Alec is awesome. He has the understated comedic ability and it works just great. He is also the last Baldwin standing.
    Yeah – the hate for Alec, I don't get that. Tom Cruise, Michael Douglas, and even Jerry Seinfeld (whom I like as well), I can see why people don't like them. But Alec – c'mon!

February 25, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  51. Dustin

He's made a great transition from "Beetlejuice" to traditional leading man roles to character type roles such as "30 Rock" and "It's Complicated". I loved him in "Malice".

Judging from some of the comments left here, I can understand why he wants to take himself out of the limelight. Such hatefulness.

February 25, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  52. Alec Baldwin is a rude little pig

Good! No time like the present!

February 25, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  53. bevyd

I think Alec Baldwin is very talented and I love watching him on 30 Rock and past movies- I hope he continues entertaining us and his personal life is his business...Hang in there....

February 25, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  54. maggieb

I love Alec! I love him in 30 Rock and I loved him in It's Complicated. He is funny just standing there. I hope he doesn't retire from acting. The tabloids are stupid and they go on and on about his family life – Alec just ignore them – they're idiots. As a lawyer I understand your frustration with the legal system and how badly you've been treated by it. Fortunately, your daughter will be an adult any day and she'll understand what went on and the two of you can move past it. Please keep acting. Can't wait to see you on Oscar night.

February 24, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  55. mama

Cna't wait to be rid of him. When will he be DONE?

February 24, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |