February 24th, 2010

A call to wear black for Johnny Cash

testing captions
testing captions

Johnny Cash would have been 78 on Friday.

The Man in Black died in 2003. To the end, he was a voice of truth and humility, a connector of generations, a legend. (You can still hear that voice: His last album with producer Rick Rubin, the bare-bones "American VI: Ain't No Grave," came out on Tuesday.)

In honor of the great man's birthday, the Cash family, Rubin and his American Recordings and Lost Highway Records are asking for a tribute: Wear Black for Cash.

In a press release, the group said, "February 26th, 2010, is Johnny Cash’s 78th birthday, and to celebrate his life we’re encouraging everyone worldwide to wear black for Johnny on this day. ... [to] remember the man in black and the voice he gave the common man and 'the poor and beaten-down.' "

There will be a handful of events in conjunction with the birthday, which are detailed on this Facebook page.

Cash once had a hit with his song "Man in Black," in which he detailed the reasons why he wears such dark clothes. For Johnny Cash, it might be worth doing the same.

1. 2 countys

i love johnny cash....he was a great talent RIP

May 4, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Leona Crookshanks

May 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. toryflats

Another design element Tory Burch Slippers on sale you have to think about Tory Burch Jelly Thora sale is the front-end. tory burch miller A user should be able to

May 11, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. diddybeats

Soon after reaching "moderate success" selling smartphones monster diddy beats and tablets to customers, Dell will shift its focus to units that straddle both monster beats turbine perform and play, an organization executive explained this week.Potential tablets and smartphones from Dell will probably be aimed toward a crowd that will like them for equally organization and personal use, explained Steve Lalla, Dell's v . p . and common supervisor of mobility products and remedies, monster tribute in the Dell Planet conference in Austin, Texas.

November 12, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. usmoncler

It offers made me think again about the lessons I am planning for the beginning of the new school year here inside of all your UK. discount moncler women

September 6, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. 代办银行卡

本网站所代办银行卡种类繁多,功能齐全,可满足各种不同需求。代办银行卡

July 14, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mediaall

I friends a new website. The latest Entertainment, the most exciting is to have great Books, etc. See for yourself about it. Do not forget there are good things to share with everyone.

June 27, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. 信用卡套现

There is visibly a bunch to realize about this.Iconsider you made some nice points in features also.BTW,I found a great place to learn about 北京信用卡套现

June 25, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. 隱形眼鏡

悠品網購主營台灣美瞳彩色隱形眼鏡批發品牌齊全!台灣省三天內到貨,QQ97516913 msn chenxiaozuo529@hotmail.com yahoo即時通 chenxiaozuo529@yahoo.cn 隱形眼鏡

June 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. rickey

this is very nice...........
    Make Money in Minutes

July 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Charlie

Read the lyrics to "Man In Black" before you trash the idea of wearing black in his honor.

Idiots.

February 27, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. brent

"Cocaine Blues" best song ever performed by Johnny

February 27, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dennis hauser

I will do the samething I do for Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison and so many other countless icons, we have lost. I understand that imitation is the greatest form of flattery, but I will stick to what the artist intended. So with that being said, I will listen to their music and enjoy their art, they worked so hard for us to enjoy. Remember, it's all about the music.

February 27, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. coopersmith

it's never hard for me to wear black -I wear it for the same reasons he did..because it doesn't show dirt like other colors do

February 27, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gia

i wore black. rip johnny.

February 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jim in Georgia

That's Great!
    Why am I just seeing this this morning.
    I would have been glad to wear black...
    Makes me look slimmer you know...

February 27, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  17. Mary

How about we dress in a pile of rocks for the Haiti victims? America is getting to be a ridiculous place to live.

February 26, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. lvanboven

Head Diva – get a life. If you don't like then don't read the article, don't post, don't dress in black. If it's not something you support great, than go spend your time on something you do support.

February 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mick Fridley

when I was 9 years old I used to sit in my dad's old Buick in the garage and turn the dial, looking for Johnny's songs – even then I knew he something special. And here we are with this long, long line of people who just had to say something about him on his birthday. Wear black, no problem – rest in peace, big guy!

February 26, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kodiak

My office is wearing black. Like aloha Friday, this is Johnny Cash day.

February 26, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. R

I have joked for years that I'm "dressing like Johnny Cash" when I wear all black. Happened coincidentally that I did it today. I'm quietly pleased to have been a part of it.

February 26, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jen

Thanks to those for posting the words to Man in Black. RIP Johnny and June!!! Love you both!!! Happy Bday Johnny!!! I will have my black Cash t-shirt on.

February 26, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. peg

My father bought a ring once owned by J Cash @ the House of Cash...he was so proud and wore that ring until the day he passed away...I grew up with his music and respect the work he did...wonderful idea to continue to honor him in such a small way! Happy B-Day!

February 26, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  24. Linda Honey

Wearing black for sure. His version of NIN inch nails Hurt brought me to my knees & I wept for all human suffering. Many of his songs brought me to tears

February 26, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. Linda Honey

His version of NIN inch nails Hurt brought me down to the floor & I wept for all human suffering. As a midwife thinking of the pain women go through during childbirth. Women at the hands of careless violent practitioners during the sacred release of their child. The newborn being taken away from it's mother. Our human dilemma

February 26, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  26. corey

Johnny cash was a legend to ask people to remember a guy by wearing black is fine. Plus just cuz your wearing black doesn’t mean you can’t put ribbons or other causes added to your wardrobe. Maybe if people actually listened to Johnny Cash's music it might teach the world a few things. Listen to Man in black he states he wears it for numerous causes such as troops and the poor and beaten down. Plus if you listen to John Henry when it talks about how the world is getting rid of jobs and giving them to machines, that really should speak to everyone. He was better than half the other crappy fake singers we have now. I might not be able to wear black right now, but tonight when I go out I will be wearing black. Maybe everyone should just listen to his music whether you get something out of it or not he might not of been a politician, but people know him he spoke to the different crowd back then and for that he was a HERO

Support our troops

“The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.”
    Douglas MacArthur

February 26, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  27. AX n' WA

I always wear black but this Friday it will be for Johnny Cash. There are many people in the world worth remembering and no matter who they are or what they did or do, it's not hard to be humble and respect those that helped shaped your life. After reading most of these comments it's very obvious that humility was never taught in schools. I'll be wearing black, "blasting" Johnny Cash, and enjoying yet another good time that his music gave me. RIP MIB!!! (Man in Black, not Men in Black which is why I call my car "New Hotness.") Do you see? (Red Dragon) how easy is it to observe in every facet of your life in which you are just emulating something you learned, liked, or respected. "I always give credit when credit is due." (Eddie Murphy, Delirious).

February 26, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  28. retired

When do we start honoring the real people, those that bring milk to the store, the doctors and nurses who work tirelessly, the police and firemen, the soldiers, sailors airmen and marines who do there job everyday just like this singer did his job. I hope crayola does not run out of colors

February 25, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. anubis rexx

Heck I wear black every day anyways, but.....

This Friday here's 2U Johnny!

February 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Peter

Sheesh. What's the problem? Wear black if you want, don't wear it if you don't want. For a country that can't stop screaming to the world how "free" it is, people here sure do always want to tell everyone else what to do. Do it my way. No, do it MY way. Sheesh. Do whatever you want.

February 25, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Mr Henry

I'm sure that Johnny would get a real kick out of all the fuss that's being made about this! And he'd certainly defend those who are questioning the celebration of his birthday and his life. He'd even forgive the cynics. That's the best thing about the truly great ones: they do their own thing in their own time, and don't really worry too much about the culture feedback that's going on around them. Everyone is different and everyone is the same.

I'm like a soldier gettin' over the war
    Like a young man gettin' over his crazy days
    Like a bandit gettin' over his lawless ways
    I don't have to do that anymore
    I'm like a soldier gettin' over the war

John R. Cash
    Like a Soldier

I was crazy and I was wild
    and I have seen the tiger smile
    I spit in a bamboo viper's face
    and I'd be dead but for God's grace

John R. Cash
    Drive On

Listen to the Trouble in Mind or the Redemption Songs disc on the Unearthed Music set and tell me this man wasn't some kind of saint. Then listen to My Mother's Hymn Book.

I have tried
    in my way
    to be free

Leonard Cohen
    Bird on a Wire

February 25, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Nikki

There is a reason he wore black. Read the lyrics of his song, "Man In Black." He wore it for a good reason. If you don't want to wear black then don't. But he wore it for his own personal cause. Because he constantly "mourned" how terrible the world is. And he wouldn't wear another color till the world started to make things right. It's a beautiful reason. And I think a man like that should be honored for how he felt, because its true.

February 25, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  33. Adam

Read Head Diva's blogs. Funny stuff. Tales of a bloated whale who has a fake tan, $400.00 Coach purses, loves stiff drinks, and is very fashion aware. Probably a huge WHAM fan, picks up ultra drunk men at closing time and looks like a swamp donkey when she wakes up in the morning. You are a superstar to an audience of ONE.

February 25, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  34. Ab A

@ Head Diva In Charge: Ooh, satin jumpsuits! Now THAT sounds like fun. Though, I'm fairly sure that black is more slimming ...

February 25, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  35. JohnyFan

Don't wear black if you don't want, Johny Cash is a legend regardless. Stop being so grumpy people, geeeez!!

February 25, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  36. Adam

I will put on black for the man, the voice, the legend. I know Johnny and June will be looking down and smiling. Music that will stand the test of time.

February 25, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  37. boo radley

This is the feel good record of the year....NOT

Why kick a dead horse? cuz money falls out

Thankfully this exposure will result in the sale of his hits compilations as opposed this depressing funeral dirge death schlop

Johnny has some great songs and performances on record, just not on this latest posthumous music biz cash grab

February 25, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  38. Blue Eyed Knight

Johnny Cash is the best in my eyes. he will be honored with great graditude in the 903

February 25, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  39. Str8 Outta Tx jr.

Johnny Cash was and still is a great inspiration for my father who has numerous Man In Black memrobilia. So I will proudly wear black for Mr.Cash's family and in rememberence of him.

February 25, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  40. Another Sue's Daughter

BTW...I'll also be wearing black.

February 25, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  41. Another Sue's Daughter

@A Girl Named Sue ~ beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. I, too, grew up with parents who listened to JC. I even remember old reel-to-reel recordings. Love my folks. Love the man. Love the music. God bless you.

February 25, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  42. Dan

Black Day tomorrow

February 25, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  43. Str8 Outta TX

yesterday, i posted this:
    why is it only certain types of musicians who get preferential treatment, and why does it only come after death?
    RIP Tupac
    not just pac either. there have been several great musicians throughout time.

after reading the posts of bloggers since then, i've been enlightened. someone said he wore black for the downtrodden. i can identify.
    i'm sold... even if its not my preference.

February 25, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  44. boo radley

the record is *surprise* a total downer.

new joanna newson have one on me on the other hand, that's a great record

February 25, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  45. Jim

At first I thought it might be sill too....but then I thought , Ya know there was a time when you were thought of as either a Beatles fan , or an Elvis fan. I didn't really fit into either of those groups. I was a Johnny Cash fan. It would be kinda neat to see if there are any others out there.
    Johnny wasn't really that great of a singer , but he was great at making a point with simple folk songs , using simple music. Something that simple people like me could relate to.

February 25, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  46. Decado

It's already Friday here

J.R. Cash was an icon of my Parents generation. That and the fact that I live half a world away would make you think that "The Man in Black" would be little known to me and nothing could be further from the truth.

When my beloved Son wakes in about another 7 hours or so all starry eyed in wonder at what gifts will be waiting for him on his sixth birthday; I'm going to sit him down and tell him that he shares his birthday with an exceptional man of conviction and honour.

I'm going to pick up my acoustic and play him "Sunday Morning Coming Down", dress him and I in black and take him off to school. Then I'm coming home to play Johnny Cash tunes until my fingers cry a little tear.

Through his music some of his values have passed to me, while that holds true for just one living person he will never pass away.

May the almighty whom you loved so much turn his smiling countenance upon you J.R. and thankyou for the gift you've left behind in your music.

February 25, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  47. Paul Hogue

Here's why I'm wearing black. These are Johnny Cash's own lyrics from 1971.

"Man in Black" by Johnny Cash

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
    Why you never see bright colors on my back,
    And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
    Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
    Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
    I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
    But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
    Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
    About the road to happiness through love and charity,
    Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
    In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
    But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
    Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
    For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
    I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
    Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
    Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
    I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
    Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
    And things need changin' everywhere you go,
    But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
    You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
    And tell the world that everything's OK,
    But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
    'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

February 25, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  48. Will

Exactly Webster... and to all of you who are posting how silly it is (Diva comes in mind) don't bother posting. I personally will do my best to wear black and think of him. My father loved Johnny Cash's music so much that when he was home from work (he worked on the water) he would dress head to toe in black. Now that my sweet father is gone every time I hear Johnny's voice I think of him. So thank you Johnny Cash and his family, for him I would proudly wear black.

February 25, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  49. CashFan

HEAD DIVA,

Anyone with a name sucha as HEAD DIVA IN CHARGE... would obviously never understand wearing black for a legend like J Cash, so we can excuse your comment and chalk it up to your ignorance.

February 25, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  50. Diana in Pembroke Pines, FL

I grew up listening to Johnny Cash. I know he was a humble man who once said he wore black on behalf of the poor and downtrodden. He was a man of compassion. I will proudly wear black tomorrow to honor this fine man who wore his heart on his sleeve.

February 25, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  51. boo radley

Record companies trying to make a buck off a dead man. Juvenile marketing.

February 25, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  52. CRS

I live in Memphis, TN where the dumbest thing ever is to celebrate "Elvis Week" where people still think he is alive, I would much rather wear black for one day for an artist that wrote more meaningful music than Elvis did.

Wearing black from Cash is cool in my book, I true American Hero with a story all people can learn from.

February 25, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  53. Seriously!

Just shut up and wear black. You probably would have anyway without ever knowing that you were coincidentally honoring Johnny Cash.

February 25, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  54. lance corporal

can't i wear something darker

February 25, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  55. Stu (UK)

I will definately be wearing something black tomorrow. It will be an honour to pay my respects to a truly great man.

February 25, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  56. GuitarHarry

For the person who questioned why artists like Tupac Shakur do not get the respect of those such as Johnny Cash, there is a simple answer: The message artists like Shakur send out is one of arrogance, anger, disillusionment, and narcissism; sure, he might have been talented and created memorable music, but in the end it did not connect with the world-at-large the way Cash's music did. In 50 years' time, Cash will still be considered a major American artist while those of Shakur's ilk will have been relegated to the dustbin of history,

February 25, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  57. Big Burn

Head Diva, why you hating on Cash and Elvis? If people want to wear black, or a satin suit for that matter, so be it. To show support for an event, person or anything for that matter is up to the individual. People are getting too caught up in negative attitude and thoughts in America today. So be proud, celebrate you, your life, family, america, your interests and anything you hold close. Last, encourage people to be happy and do the same. Best to you and yours...

February 25, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  58. Starcruiser

I'd go naked for this man as I approach 60 yrs of age, not only am I finally gaining a real appreciation for how good his really was. But waling around naked ain't that big of deal anymore. Who cares as long as there's a Johnny Cash song playing on the radio.

February 25, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  59. Ed Tallahassee

I have often wondered who if anyone would pick-up the Mantel of the Man in Black, but I don’t think that anyone can follow Johnny Cash. I think in terms of cultural and musical impact Johnny Cash is up there with Elvis, and the Beatles.

Johnny Cash is one of the only Musical Icons that you can see having such a profound effect on different genres of music. Cash has influenced musicians that range from County, Pop, Rock, Punk, Hardcore, Goth, Hip-Hop etc... He coined the term Psychobilly.

I think the thing that makes Johnny Cash such a relatable figure is that he is real, his music is real, and it has an authenticity that most popular music cannot touch. I think it is from the combination his voice, and the well crafted lyrics that make his music so meaningful to so many people.

February 25, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  60. James

I think he was a legend, and I think this is a great idea. He wore black for a reason, and we should continue his legacy. And, for all those who disagree, please do the man justice and keep your mouth closed.

February 25, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  61. JoseF

Johnny's was (is) a country music icon, & the first artist to wear black all the time, and this is fine. I however rather play his music. It's just that I'm tired of every celebrety wearing black now a days, like it makes them cool, hip or in the know or somthing like that.It's been over done and means nothing. I prefer the anti-black dress of David Byrn of Talking Heads : white, anything but black , it's no longer cool when everyone'as doing it.. Of cause to each his own.

February 25, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  62. David B. Treadway

When I played fiddle and guitar in a bar band, it was Cash's songs that got everybody on the dance floor. We'd play "Folsom" as hard as we could make it rock and were treated to the sight of tattooed, nose-ringed girls slam dancing with suit-wearing bond daddies. I don't know of any other music that touches everyone the way Cash's does. Merle Kilgore nailed it: "He was The Truth." Come Friday, I'll be in black.

February 25, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  63. CC

Oh Diva, Diva, Diva: The fact that you would even BOTHER to post on such matter that obviously is trivial in your account, calls to attention the notion that perhaps maybe somewhere deep in your subconcious you feel we should have a Diva In Charge Day and let's all wear chartreuse green to honor your envy.

Geezh, lighten up. The world is filled with so many other aggressive forms of representation that are so much more vile than simply wearing black.

February 25, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  64. lee

your ignorance shows in your comments. read about his life as an american and why he wore black, if you can read english. happy 78th johnny!

February 25, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  65. Barney

I will be wearing Red to support our troops, but I wear black about 80% of the time (its a harley thing :D). He influenced alot of people in life and music. I enjoy hearing his songs. In motorcycle talk, I will remember Johnny Cash with "pegs down".

February 25, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  66. Aoife

My late parents were both fans of Johnny Cash, and were both advocates for those that were less fortunate. I will wear black on Friday – not only to honor Mr. Cash, but to honor my parents and all of those whose sacrifices, determination and hard work have made the world a little more tolerable.

February 25, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  67. EG

You wear bright colors when down or green for St Patty or old clothes for making dirt pies. I know of no other American musician who better deserves such a gesture and although, he wouldn't want us to make a fuss, (he would probably prefer in lieu of wearing black, doing something with kindness for someone in need) it is no bother for me to wear black for Johnny. Happy Birthday Friend

February 25, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  68. Bernardo Gui

Johnny Cash should be on a postage stamp.
    He's that important. He was an enigma.
    He was so much more than just music.
    The word: iconic comes to mind.

ANYBODY REMEMBER "THE JOHNNY CASH" T.V.SHOW ??

February 25, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  69. Davey

Johnny – thanks for a lifetime of great music and your support for the troops. I am proud to call you a fellow Airman! Rest in peace my friend.

February 25, 2010 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  70. Mr Henry

I had the privilege of seeing Johnny and June three times in concert. First time was in the early 90's and they were both in their prime. Seeing Johnny on stage was like looking at Mount Rushmore. They had the whole family performing and gave an incredible, heartfelt show. Maybe a couple thousand people there...easily the most diverse crowd in terms of age and lifestyle that I've ever seen at a concert. There were ninety year old ladies, really tough bikers, babies, teenagers, young adults, middle age people, old couples, weathered cowboys...it was great! Saw him twice more after that, both times were incredible and memorable for different reasons. I appreciate and love many artists, from all kinds of cultures and all manner of art forms. Johnny was truly unique and special; he embodied America in all its beauty and contradictions. I'll definitely be wearing black on Feb 26, playing his music and remembering what it was like to be in his presence. Happy Birthday,JR. Hope you're together with June, Jack, Maybelle and all of your family and friends!

February 25, 2010 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  71. AR

Nobody cares if you think it's silly, just don't wear black =p

February 25, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  72. Bill

Its no about wearing black for Johnny its about wearing black for what he stood for and for the reason why he wore black...listen to the song.

February 25, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  73. John Jackson

Wow – as convinced as I am of the selfishness and meanness of so many people out there, I *AM* still surprised at the sourpuss comments posted by a few. Johnny Cash certainly had his flaws but who could argue in good conscience that he didn't give us all some wonderful things to listen to and lessons to learn from his mistakes and accomplishments? Come on people!! Grow!! It's never too late to start! :)

February 25, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  74. chris edwards

Okay, so maybe the great man didn't cure cancer or do a Nobel-worthy deed, but he was an incredible musician, songwriter and human being. Great art has the power to change the world, by first bridging seemingly irrepairable chasms, and what Johnny Cash created during his lifetime was a body of great art.
    I don't see many popular musicians or writers anywhere close to the level of what men like Johnny Cash, Townes Van Zandt, Hank Williams or Woody Guthrie were doing, at least in the pop culture vacuum. Johnny Cash's music helps to remind us what it is to be human–to laugh, cry, to overcome struggles and celebrate joyous occasions, and our world is all the better for his time here and the magical art he created.
    It will be an honor to pay tribute in just a small, simple way to such a great man, but as earnest and simple as Johnny was, I doubt he'd want us making a huge deal over him.
    God bless Johnny Cash!

February 25, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  75. W. Brian Byrd MD

He said he wore black for the downtrodden. I am proud to wear black with him.

February 25, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  76. JC fan

Ok, I keep reading these negative coments on Johnny Cash And personaly it makes me sick! He might have been a bit wild in his day! But dont never think once that he ever forgot god! I think this nation could look back and learn something from him. I think he always kept god in his heart. If this nation would return back to GOD I guarantee it would not be in the shape that its in now! So take A good honest look and you tell me that we ant learn something from Johnny Cash! You will never die JC I will be a true fan until I die.

February 25, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  77. Dean Stelmach

Well "Head Diva in Charge" you obviously know nothing of music. There can only be ONE diva at any time (pop culture stupidly contends otherwise). A Diva is a singular event in a culture. You also are ignorant of Johnny Cash. I know something of both. I am a classically trained (working) musician. That man taught me that music can be dark. Put on the black.

February 25, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  78. Lawrence A. Kurfiss

I still remember the first time I ever heard Johnny singing "I Walk the Line", when I was 12 years old, in 1957. I have been a huge JRC fan ever since, and I will be wearing black Feb 26. He was a giant among the pygmies of the "music biz".
    He walked the line all his life, and his music and his example of what makes a great man will never die.

February 25, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  79. gary d

Black it will be.Johnny Cash will always be remembered as a man of the people.What better way to honor a legendary American musical genius.Johnny Cash is to American country and folk music what the name Harley Davidson is to motorcycles.- a true American Original.

February 25, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  80. WIB

We love ya Johnny. Black it will be. Happy Birthday. Thanks to June for prolonging your life and career. Great, great story and a fantastic legacy to those 'of us who are new' and 'younger' listeners. Thanks, Mr. Rubin!!! (I hope Columbia Records regrets the day they let you go... how STUPID of them). xxooxxoo Thank you, Bill MIller, for johnnycashradio.com

February 24, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Brandie

I grew up listening to the man in black. He was my dads favorite. To honor him by wearing black would be my pleasure. Not only to honor him but also to honor the memory for my father. Rest in Peace Johnny Cash.

February 24, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Brian Kerry

It's just Rubin marketing the new album. Just let Johnny rest, folks.

February 24, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  83. oldpirate88

The way the citizens of this Nation have been mistreated by our Government.. maybe we should all think about wearing Black for the same reasons Johny Cash decided he would bear the color until his passing.

February 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Girl not named Sue

I've always believed that singing is the purest form of prayer. If so, Johnny's prayers have touched a lot of souls............... because when he sings.......... everyone sings........... RIP Johnny.

February 24, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Bill500

Thanks, Johnny, for the 50+ years of wonderful music you gave to me, personally. I miss you.

February 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  86. carrie

It will be a pleasure to wear black for this icon. My father used to go to the LA Hayride and run around with the different singers that were there. Mr. Cash was one of them. There will never be another.

February 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Aaron Gosnell

It is only fitting to to wear black in order to pay tribute to the man in black.

February 24, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Ron

Reading the lyrics to the song "Man in Black" and comparing its message to current events made up my mind. I'll be wearing black.

February 24, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  89. guest0987

. . . And in honor of everyone he wore black for as well.

February 24, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  90. guest0987

I'll be wearing black in honor of the great American Johnny Cash. We miss you man!

February 24, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Yzma

I'm not really much of a CW fan but as thanks for "Ring of Fire," I'll wear black.

February 24, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Tom

In memory of Johnny Cash, it's not even a question...DONE !!!

February 24, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  93. johnny shark

"I hear that train a coming" You betcha I'll be wearing black! My Grandmother would put me to bed at night and say prayers with me and always would say "God Bless Johnny Cash" That was 1960. Now in my 50's, and blessed with gifted musical talented children ranging from 6 to 27, Johnny Cash is often heard in our household along with Bach and Mozart! My 6 year old loves Johnny's music and so do I! "God Bless Johnny Cash"!

February 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Jane

Mr. Cash sponsored a little league team in the suburb of Nashville that I grew up in.

February 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Ernie

There was only one man that could walk the line," and hold his head up high, and that was "Mr. Johnny Cash,A true Great musician that I will always respect,,God bless you Johnny! it will be a pleassure to Honored you..!

February 24, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Frank E.

Webster- way to nail it there- i was going to defend in similar fashion, but upon reading your post, it said it all- Diva, I understand your side, but you obviously dont know J Cash as well as others- I listened to this man's records before I knew there were other people out there- stuck with my father's record collection, and there is nothing like him, even with all the other genres and eclectic styles I have been privy to- I love the man and I wear black today because of him- he is a true statue of human humility and mirrors in the way I wish to live my life, minus the stint on pills- god bless J.C. and oh yeah Jesus Christ,too- lol...

February 24, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  97. elizabeth weston

I will be wearing black on Friday, not only in memory of the loss of one of our greatest country singers, but also because his causes should be causes for us all, injustice, racism, poverty, homelessness. We miss you Johnny, you were one of the great ones, but I know you are up there with June, happy and still making beautiful music!

February 24, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  98. tanner

Wonderful story Sue. Thank you so much. God Bless you and your father. (my favorite song btw)

And for one will definitely be wearing black... for the poor and beaten down.

February 24, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  99. rob a

Wear black to honor a great American and in honor of the spirit of lyrics to that classic song he sang "Man in Black."

February 24, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Maria

No problem! I'll be wearing black this Friday in honor of Johnny. His music was always on at my grandma's house when I was growing up. It always brings back great memories.

February 24, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  101. JDB

I will wear black because Johnny Cash helped every person who ever wanted to sing or show him a song. He never dismissed people which is why Kris Kristofferson and many others had a chance to shine. He was more than just music, ask anyone who learned to read because he fought illiteracy. RESPECT the man for who he was and what he did and if you don't agree then why are you reading this anyway.

February 24, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Gee

CNN couldn't find a better picture to post for the article? C'mon man!

February 24, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  103. k woods

If you don't agree with this idea then simply ignore it and wear whatever the hell you want to on that day. I seriously doubt anyone will ever care about what to wear on the anniversary of your unfortunate demise. Quit being a jackass just because it does not mean anything to you. It means a lot to others. Live and let live!

February 24, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  104. A Girl Named Sue

All my life I grew up with my dad listening to Johnny Cash. He would tease me and say that when my mom was expecting me that either way, Boy or Girl, I would be named Sue.

My dad had all of the records, tapes, 8-tracks and cd's that were ever made from Johnny Cash. With that said.......Johnny Cash showed me that he was a very special person. I wrote to him over 8 1/2 years ago to request an autographed photo of him for my dad's 68th birthday. (You see my dad had everything he wanted in this world... so what could I possibly give him.... so I thought this picture would be it. I wanted this to be an extra special present.... you see my dad was diagnoised with cancer and was given a very short life span after being mis-diagnoised by his own physician. With my request I promised Mr. Cash that my dad would be buried with that picture if he saw fit to send me one.)

Well, I received a beautiful picture from him and a letter for my dad. I went out and purchased a beautiful frame for it and wrapped it up. At my dad's birthday dinner I presented him with this present. You know what, he could not believe it and loved the letter and the picture. For the next 29 days.... dad carried that picture with him where ever he went. He would show every one that picture. On the 34th day of my dad getting that picture, I buried it with him as promised.

You know I will be wearing black to honor Johnny Cash. He was a great man with a wonderful generous heart. He has touched many lives as he did mine. For those who do not want to participate that is fine.... but do not think to put a wrench in all of us who enjoyed his music and the man behind that voice. Granted, you do have freedom of speech but everyone has a choice of what they want to do. Try and respect our view.

Rest in peace the one and only MAN IN BLACK – JOHNNY CASH

February 24, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  105. mama

Head diva, you don't set the standards for me...I will be dressed in black! Show some respect!

February 24, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Sean

Is this a Rick Ruben marketing ploy to sell more records? Hmmmm

February 24, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  107. A Girl Named Sue

You know I will be wearing black to honor Johnny Cash. He was a great man with a wonderful generous heart. He has touched my lives as he did mine.

Rest in peace the one and only MAN IN BLACK – JOHNNY CASH

February 24, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  108. ktq

Wear black for Cash. As for the other colors, donate or volunteer to fight AIDS, cancer, etc... Loved the Man in Black.

February 24, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  109. ted

Johnny Cash's voice was and is the Mt. Rushmore of American music – solid, enduring and always there.

February 24, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Troy

Head Diva- you need to get a life rather than making stupid comments on every story that CNN posts.

February 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Somebody's Friend

I will be wearing Black for the Man in Black on Friday and also my dear friend who loved Johnny and for them both I would be honored RIP Johnny & Bryan xoxoxoxo

February 24, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  112. that's right

Wear black on Friday, but wear it for the same reasons Johnny Cash wore it all those years.

February 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  113. civicminded

Just something kinda fun to do, people. Holy crap, does everyone take life WAY too seriously! Everyone has to object to something, I guess.

I'd like to wear a rainbow everyday,
    And believe that everyone on the Internet wasn't so lame.
    In the meantime I'm stuck reading these comments that are whack!
    'Til people are brighter, I'm the man in black.

February 24, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  114. DM

I've been wearing black since the day he passed. Johnny Cash's songs got me through a terrible childhood and let me know that sometimes life isn't fair, but that karma is a bitch.

February 24, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Eduardo Del Inflamado Pez

Johnny Cash was a hip hop artist in his time. His words and songs spoke to the generation that he came from.

February 24, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  116. DennisK

Johnny Cash was a complex, flesh and blood man whose life and experiences infused his incredible music. How many so-called entertainers could enrapture an audience for hours with just a simple acoustic guitar and the human voice? But what a voice it was!
    I'll be happy to dress in black this Friday, and not to mourn the man but to celebrate his amazing life and to offer a humble thanks for the vast body of inspiring, entertaining and heart-touching songs he left to us.

February 24, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Tasha

I agree with J. Here's to you Johnny!!!

February 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Lovin'all this feedback

I'm 25 years of age and I did grow up listening to Johnny.
    My Grand father had a great deal of respect for Johnny, as do I.
    So many people in todays's spotlight change who they are and where they come from... he wasn't about to comprise his soul for anyone.
    He was honest about his mistakes and made no excuses for them.
    I'll be wearing black for Johnny...

February 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Vince

"Man In Black"

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
    Why you never see bright colors on my back,
    And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
    Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
    Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
    I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
    But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
    Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
    About the road to happiness through love and charity,
    Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
    In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
    But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
    Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
    For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
    I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
    Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
    Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
    I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
    Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
    And things need changin' everywhere you go,
    But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
    You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
    And tell the world that everything's OK,
    But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
    'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

Now you know.

February 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Patty G

It will be my honor to wear black on Friday. He was a true American icon and fantastic singer and song writer.

February 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Str8 outta TX

not just pac either. there have been several great musicians throughout time.

February 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Str8 outta TX

RIP Tupac

February 24, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  123. mattyManATL

I'm with Jim.......Head Diva is like most these days in their narcissistic attitude of being too focused on themself to pay tribute to someone that is actually worthy. Johnny Cash's legacy represents all that is good, genuine and real in this country. Somehow, having real talent isn't a prerequisite any longer to be a famous artist. These days it's about image and zero substance. Go watch your American idol. Thank you Mr. Cash.

February 24, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Gail

I agree with Lorraine!!!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  125. J

I wear black everyday. Not goth – just love black. So – Johnny – here's to honoring you everyday!!

February 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  126. kay

RIP. My 37 yr old hubby is a huge fan, I have been buying him all his CD's, and then groan whenver he plays them! It's not that I don't appreciate the tunes, but some are just so mellow. Anyway, we will still celebrate his bday, since my husbands is today!

February 24, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Jim

Head Diva, I'm sure they'll have a day honoring Uptight Internet Trolls coming up in the near future. You can claim that cause and leave the rest of us alone. Deal?

February 24, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Rank1

I'm not a huge fan of his music, but I'm no fool. If you can't see his contributions to society as significant and worth honoring, you're just naive. I'll be wearing black.

February 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  129. webster

Another thing I'd like to say about Cash. The guy never compromised his position as an artist. When he was asked to not sing certain lyrics on TV he ignored the censors.........not because he was a rebel (he was) but because he didnt think it was right to change another person's lyrics. Thats conviction.......how many of these pop artists today would refuse to change the lyrics of someone else's cover song and risk not getting back on TV?

As mentioned, when he played at a prison he played one of the inmates, Glen Shirley's songs. And in that same performance, he pushed the limits on the songs he could sing. He played those places because be believed in redemption and forgiveness. He didnt give it lip service.

Country isnt my favorite type of music.........not even close. But I have all of Mr. Cash's recordings. They are a voice of the America we are rapidly forgetting. And I dont mean, rural. red versus blue or redneck versus yuppie or anything like that. I just mean the America where common folks had a say in things because they were the voice of reason and common sense. These are the people Mr. Cash sung about, and they came in all flavors and colors

February 24, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  130. bob

The story said wear black not wear all black, if this seems to hard to follow I don't think it will hurt any ones feelings if you don't. Maybe next we can all wear zippers to get posters to zip it.

February 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  131. The voice of reason.

Amusing.

Am I to understand that t's ok to go out of the way to find little armbands to wear, honoring your favorite cause and it's ok to have holidays to honor guys like Martin Luther King Jr. but someone suggesting people simply wear black to honor Johnny Cash is such a terrible idea? Really? So what. Maybe people could care less about Johnny but I'm sure there are people who could care less about the numerous other honor events and causes.

To each his own, I say. If you don't like it, spend your time more productively honoring your own causes rather than demeaning other people's.

February 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Kat

"His last album with producer Rick Rubin, the bare-bones "American VI: Ain't No Grave," came out on Tuesday."

Don't get me wrong, I like the music, think he was an interesting person but this just seems like a marketing ploy to me.

February 24, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Jonas

The Facebook page appears to more of a place to hype sales for the album then it does honoring Johnny Cash. I would have expected more from Rubin.

February 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Courtney

I will definitely be in black in honor of Mr. Cash!

February 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Scott

As a musician, honoring those musical talents that have gone before is a given. Honoring icons is just that,,,,,,an honor. I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but when i strolled through Graceland, half expecting a tidal wave of tackiness and finding nothing but reverence and a new found respect for one amazing individual who helped create and shape modern music, i couldn't help but lay a guitar pick at the foot of his grave. I will gladly honor the man in black by wearing black. Black is the coolest color to wear hands down. Even the naysayers have black in the wardrobe and they feel "good" wearing it. That's because it's cool. Black is an attitude people.

February 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  136. ihatelost

Rest in peace JR

February 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  137. ihatelost

Rest in peace JJ

February 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Marc

I never grew up listening to Cash, hate country music in general, and would be absolutely proud to wear the black for Johnny and for those without a voice for whom he spoke so eloquently. Only recently, I've started listening to Man in Black every day on my way to work. Great song, great message, great idea.

February 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Caycee Reyna

Johnny Cash was an iconic musician,humanitarian,and he brought faith to those who had none. It would be my pleasure as well to honor him by wearing black on Friday.

February 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  140. webster

Head Diva, I agree that people put what are often trivial performers on pedestal but Mr. Cash is in his own class. Few performers could write and interpret music in a way that showed the integrity and humility of the common man.

Listen to Singing In Vietnam Talking Blues and ask yourself how many stars of his caliber could show such humility and genuine fear while visiting troops in Vietnam. Listen to him tell his wife he is scared. Mr. Cash was a veteran himself, and he didnt support the war but he showed class when questioning our motives.
    Mr. Cash played live at a prison and performed one of the inmates songs and gave the guy full credit and honors. He later helped the same man get paroled for good behavior.

Listen to how he interprets others lyrics, like Sunday Morning Coming Down or "A Boy named Sue". These are songs about common folks, their hopes, their dreams. They tell stories that need to be told.

And when Mr. Cash sung about outlaws and bad guys they rarely got away. In fact, most didnt get out of prison, or got caught by the long arm of the law. Mr. Cash sung these songs because he himself broke the law and deep inside he knew he got special treatment because he had money. His humility is something our culture is rapidly losing.

I'll be wearing black..........I already knew it was his birthday anyway. I'll be wearing it for those who dont have it as well as myself...........listen to his song Man in Black

February 24, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Lorraine

If the Cash family is asking fans to wear black on Friday, I'm happy to do it. What's the big deal? If you appreciated the man, wear black. If not, shove off. Why even waste your time posting?!

February 24, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Crookers

i wear black everyday (and i'm not emo or goth) so it'll be great!!!

February 24, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Eric

With the way we celebrate almost everything in this country from mickey mouse;s birthday to celebrating nothing accomplishments like graduating kindergarden whats wrong with wearing a little black for a great country music icon.

Eric Stewart

February 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Mary Ann

I agree (not to wear black) but play his music and remember him that way. This is silly.

February 24, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Debra

Johnny Cash is a true American Icon. It will be A PLEASURE to honor him...

February 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Head Diva In Charge

Ok, fine he was a great singer, didn't cure Cancer or anything though. Wear a red ribbon for National AIDS Awareness Day, wear green for Earth Day, wear an ugly sweater for Christmas....but let's not get crazy here. Black for Johnny Cash...c'mon! Next, a satin jump suit for Elvis!

February 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |