February 23rd, 2010

We have lift off on 'Idol'

testing captions
testing captions

Finally we get beyond all the back stories, the goofy wannabes and the deluded aspiring singers to get to the live performances.

I wonder if Chris Golightly is watching tonight. He was disqualified and replaced at the last minute by Tim Urban who will perform in his place tomorrow as part of the male Top 12 group. Fox has never stated exactly why Golightly got the boot, but he held a press conference Tuesday morning to produce what he said was proof that he had been released from a deal he signed with Dream Projects Entertainment.

"Idol" contestants are required to reveal all such deals and not be under active contract while on the show. Golightly asked "Idol" fans to rally behind him to get him back on the show, but I doubt that's going to happen now.

Tonight is ladies night and I am anxious to see who Fox has been keeping under wraps. We've seen quite a few of the women vying for the title, but every year producers seem to have one or two contestants who pop up during the semi-finals and elicit a "Where did she/he come from?!"

That could be the case this season with Paige Miles and Michelle Delamor, who I know zero about because of their lack of screen time leading up to now. They are going to have to impress quickly if they want America to remember and vote for them.

All of the women look thrilled to be there, though I could have done without the "beauty pageant" like line-up on the stairs. Here we go!

1. marquee.blogs.cnn.com

We have lift off on idol.. Amazing :)

April 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

I have watched this show since the start. I had a 15 year music career so I kinda know a thing or two about talent and such. This year's pathetic contestants, coupled with having Ellen (WTH?) on the show will be Idols downfall. I gotta say...I believe Simon is leaving after this year because he KNOWS this to be true and he doesn't want to go down with the ship. There are no Adam Lamberts or Carrie Underwoods this season...just a bunch of people who would most likely loose my town's karaoke local contest. For the first time since the start....I'm changing the channel, I advise you to do the same....unless you like train wrecks.

February 26, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. frank

get a life FOX, and take this CRAP and stupid show of the AIR. I cant beleave that this show has sponsors. just a discouragement.and no common sence.

February 26, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. CW

What happened to Idol? It has been terrible so far.

February 25, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Guru

The French said it best:

LE CRASH, LE BURN!!

Season Whatever of Idol is off to a screeching, drive-over-the-cliff-did-Simon-do-this-on-purpose start. In fact, after being a loyal viewer, this may be the time I walk away. Current crew: bland. Current material they're choosing to sing: unlistenable. Current status of Idol: life support. CLEAR!

February 25, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. monica mihaly

I thought the first performer was awful and the judges were too easy on her. Unfortunately I think Ashley received the criticism the first singer should have had.
    Ellen is a joke of a judge and has really nothing to offer. At least she is not trying to be funny. I loved Whicked Game and I too thought the last 17 year old singer was good. Funny they gave Michael Buble the credit for that song instead of the great Nina Simone who sings it so beautifully you want to cry.

February 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Str8 Outta Tx

any other time, the previous couple of generations would be complaining that we dont know what real music is. then they would try to School us by forcing us to listen to music that clash with our preference. i admire what she did. if anything, maybe she couldve went older. though i do still prefer modern music...

February 24, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. Str8 Outta Tx

discrimination because of age?
    i am 19, and i put up with all kinds of discrimination. she can sing what she wants.

February 24, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Just A Thought

So, Katie is supposed to sing Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers because she's 17?! Ridiculous! Katie was great and was much better than the rest of the girls. Her age is irrelevant to her performance!

February 24, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. LL

Katie Steven's song was too old for her. She did a good job, but I agreed with Ellen and Simon, stay 17!

February 23, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ikeCANADA

They will grow as the show progresses.
    Good show as always.....you don't agree with everything they do...but you will always come back to watch it.

February 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Walker

Ellen is terrible, please drop her after this season and get someone who says something!

Randy and Kara are scrambling to show they are important (too keep this from becoming Ellen's show God forbid) and they are talking more but saying less – if you can believe that.

As always Simons shoots it straight – the only judge that adds value to these performers. Without him and add in the boring Ellen and you have a show that will be going down the tubes..

February 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |