February 23rd, 2010

'Idol's' first group of Top 12 mix it up

testing captions
testing captions

*This post will be updated throughout the performances, so keep checking back.

Randy wants them to really "wreck the stage with their vocals?" I guess.

Ellen is dressed like a banker on vacation. I loved her joke that Simon "wants her." That was a pretty funny skit with him trying to get a little closer to our newest judge.

"Hits from the Billboard charts" could be just about anything so I'm a little concerned about song choice.

First up, school teacher Paige Miles. Her version of "All Right Now" by Free was a tad bit hard to listen to. I'm not sure if it's nerves or the acoustics, but I winced at some points.

I'm also not sure what the judges were listening to, cause they seemed to dig it. Go figure. As for Paige's "I've been waiting to pee for the last five hours," TMI Boo!

8:18 p.m. – Ashley Rodriguez. There is something I really like about her. Leona Lewis' "Happy" is not an easy song to sing especially in front of Simon Cowell, the man who discovered Lewis.

Like Paige, I don't think this was the best song choice for Ashley. Kara thinks Leona Lewis is "our generation's Mariah Carey?" I am so not a Kara fan, but I am trying to be more open this season.

Anyway, the rest of the judges are so much more critical of Ashley than Paige and I am not sure if it was warranted. I mean, she wasn't awful. Just not amazing.

8:28 p.m. – Three performances in and I am still waiting to be blown away. I think Janell Wheeler may have been harmed by the footage of her from Hollywood. She was so awesome then and her version of "What About Love" tonight, not so much. I wanted her to pull off a Carrie Underwood move similar to when Underwood sang "How Do I Get You Alone." It didn't happen. *SIGH*

8:37 p.m. – I don't think I quite get Lilly Scott. She reminds me of a funkier version of Jewel and I feel like I should really, really be into her (perhaps it's the aspiring hipster in me). I like that she took to the stage with her guitar. It felt a little coffee house for a minute, but not in a bad way. Honestly, you sing the Beatles even halfway decently and I'm feeling you.

But what was up with the shot of Kara and Simon chatting away when Ryan was talking to Lilly? Are we going to have the Paula-Simon silliness from last season redux? I pray not cause that was a bucket full of foolishness!

8:48 p.m. – Ok, that's what I'm talking about! The show didn't really start for me until Katelyn Epperly's "Oh! Darling." "Idol" is all about the soaring notes and the big voices. Her look was giving me an updated Cyndi Lauper/Madonna, but I think it worked for her. She really needed to stand out and I think she did that. I think she has a good shot.

8:53 p.m. – I'm going to go on record and say I am anti-nose rings for teens. That being said Haeley Vaughn (new nose ring and all) presents a bit of quandary for me.

My heart is cheering her efforts to become a successful African-American, pop-country artist. But her voice has that potential to really get on my nerves. I wasn't loving her version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand." I'm trying to cut her some slack cause she's only 16, but still.

P.S. I think someone needs to clue Ellen into the definition of "hot mess." It ain't a good thing.

9:05 p.m. - Is Lacey Brown this season's Megan Joy? Brown lost out on getting on the show last season because Joy got her spot and I remember initially thinking Megan had potential. Then it became "The horror! The horror!"

I hope that is not the case with Lacey. I agree with the judges that she seems like she should be better than tonight's performance. I hope so. Also, we were hit with Simon's first "indulgent" criticism. You knew it was only a matter of time.

9:14 p.m. – I like Michelle Delamor's voice, but she may have overdone it with the performing and not enough with the singing. If you are going to try and come for Alicia Keys, you have to be so on point. She's got a great look and while she is a professional singer, I have yet to see the "it" factor.

The thing is that tonight has been so so-so that I think people are just going to be happy to see someone nail a note.

9:19 p.m. – Didi Benami was not "indulgent." A little boring, but not "indulgent." I had Didi pegged for one of the brightest performers and I was so excited to see her tonight.

Where in the world are the female singers we saw during Hollywood week? I loved those chicks and none of them have showed up yet tonight!

9:30 p.m. – Siobhan Magnus, who knew?!?!? Love the new look and I enjoyed her "Wicked Game." She can really sing!

She did what I expected some of the other women to do, which was take a song and wring out some love for it with a subdued, but powerful performance. I couldn't figure out why the judges were so crazy over her during her final song during Hollywood week, but now I get it. She's going to have to bring some more personality and energy if she wants to go all the way, but it was a great start.

So what if she doesn't know what it means to be a "dark horse." She's it!

9:40 p.m. – I love Crystal Bowersox, but I almost wish she would have waited for "X Factor" to begin. She's so talented, but I'm not sure if she DOES fit in with "Idol."

Everyone keeps talking about how original and fresh that she is, but as we learned with Adam Lambert, that can also be very polarizing. People either really, really get it or they absolutely hate it. I think Crystal is just super cool and I hope America gives her a chance. I really think she is going to shine, I just worry that she might get lost if she makes it into the top 12 and they start doing the themes.

Can you picture Crystal singing a Broadway tune?

9:51 p.m. – Well, all right Ms. Katie Stevens! This little kitten has some claws. She looked a bit like she was playing dress up, but oh my she sang. I'm not sure what the judges were listening to. Pitchy? I think not!

For a teen, she owned that stage and I'm not sure why Ellen was tripping over her words. I didn't at all think that "Feeling Good" was too old for her. She's 17, not 7! Sometimes I really wonder if we at home are watching the same show as the judges.

« Previous entry
  1. K.B.

With out a doubt, Crystal will not win ( she has MUSICAL talent ) and all Idol wants is manufactured pop garbage.... but, like Doughtry, she will get a recording contract by a record company

February 25, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lilliana

P.S–I also like Ellen.

February 25, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lilliana

After reading some of these comments, my belief that most American Idol "fans" are tone-deaf, musically dull sheep. Baaaah.

It's NOT about looks, but real talent. It's not about just singing WELL (as there are many out there who sing WELL, and who actually have amazing voices) but it's about being DIFFERENT, unique ON TOP of the great voice. This is something Simon has been saying the whole itme–not wanting someone to just sing LIKE another singer, but rather to be a true Artist. It's unfortunate that most American Idol watchers appear to be stuck on the same mainstream types of singers–Cute girls with nice voices that is easily replaced by another cute girl with a nice voice. I'm in the minority when I say after years of watching this show, I'm excited to see unique singers to Idol like Crystal and Lilly. They are different from your usual Idol contestants, and I'm pulling for them. The comments about Crystal's look is ridiculous. The comments about Lilly falling into the "indie" category and therefore not belonging on Idol is ridiculous. There are many many music lovers out here who love both mainstream AND indie music, and find it absolutely refreshing to see these two female contestants on the show.

February 25, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. show dog mom

lindarella: Crystal LOOKs like she lives out of her car.....that would explain why she's has no toothbrush for like 10 years!
    Ebb: yeah Haeley does lisp and it is totally distracting!

February 25, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. mrskool

No one was outright awful – they all sang better than me thats for sure ;)

my favorites were : Lilly, Siobhan, and Crystal

it looked like Kara was all over poor Simon ... whats up with that ?

i dont think i like Ellen as a judge – she should stick to comedy

February 24, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gayle

Haeley, has a really bad lisp, too bad because she
    is a gorgeous girl, and has a adorable personality.

Trust me you can't sing professinally with a lisp.
    unless, you want to sound like daffy duck, THAT'S DISPICABLE!!

She need to go see a orthadontist, and have them put a spike
    retainer on the top of her mouth.it will retrain her tougue to stop
    touching the top of her mouth, and her lisp will be gone in less
    than a month.

i know this, because after years of weekly speech therapy
    with my daughter, her orthodontist suggested, the spikes,
    to retrain her tongue, and get rid of her lisp.

It was magic, my daughter, lfe really changed for the better.
    were extremely grateful to her orthadontist. for
    caring enough about her, to suggest it.

Haeley, is only 16 and if she really wants a singing
    career she needs to take care of the lisp first.

I don't mean to bash the judges, here but how did they
    not notice her lisp? This is not going to be a good experience
    for Haeley.

February 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MJT

Katie was the best in my opinion. I thought I would puke when Haeley was singing I wanna hold your hand. I couldn't believe how ridiculous that was, however, my 14 y.o. daughter said it wasn't that bad. I'm sorry I don't get the interest in her. The judges are a joke. I thought they were going to love Katie and when they said she was pitchy and acting too old I couldn't believe. I think just about anyone could be a judge on Idol.

February 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JT

You do have weird taste – I thought Megan Joy was the bomb last year and I love Lilly Scott – poor Lacey Brown didn't hit one note correctly – I can't believe someone else was cut because of her.

February 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ShamanNora

My faves (although nobody really popped last night) are Didi, Siobhan, Crystal, Katie. Why do some people have names that are pronounced differently from how they're spelled? Siobhan=Shivan? HUH? The question was asked as to where's the star power. Hey, the judges picked these top 24.

February 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alaskan Annie

VERY disappointed in Idol last night. So many of the performances were downright difficult to listen to. I was bummed to hear Lacey have such a bad performance; I so want to be able to root for her. I liked Didi's performance–I hope she can do something to differentiate herself from Adele/Duffy (I am a fan of both). Siobhan (very popular Irish name by the way) was my favorite from last night.

Haeley, Haeley, Haeley. I like her, but CANNOT stand to listen to her sing. I commend her effort last night, tried to do something fresh and original with the song, but her vocals are atrocious.

Anxious to see how the guys do tonight. I am not as confident as Simon that this is the girls' year.

February 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Isay

Are you kidding me Simon? You said, one of the girls will win this years Idol. But, after watching last night performance, for me, NONE of them deserve this title. I was bored to death, and had to switch the channel to Olympics.

February 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nicole

Ok, first of all I taped the show as I can't stand it being two hours long, I got through it in 45 mintues....I really only listened to Simons comments as he is the only judge that really matters. Occassionally I would listen to Ellen just because she is the only one out of the other three judges that I can stand to listen to. I can't even stand to look at Kara she annoys me so much.

I was originally surprised to hear that the judges or whoever thought this was going to be a strong year for the girls.....and my doubts were confirmed last night....none of them were that great, but they never seem to be the first week so hopefully they will get better.

My favourites were Katelyn, Siobhan & Katie, the ones I didn't like were Paige, Haeley & Didi. I don't understand the hype over Haeley & Didi....seriously Haeley is annoying, even Simon thought so. I think it's rediculous that Didi even made the top 24, she certainly didn't make it because of her performances during Hollywood week.

Let's hope the guys are a little better tonight.

February 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Hannah

Overall, I was disappointed with the ladies. I think the nerves and pressure really got to them. That being said, I was extremely impressed with Siobhan Magnus. I know she wasn't using her powerful upper register to belt the notes; but what she did showed her fantastic range and versatility. She went from singing a peppy, powerful song in Hollywood week to singing a more melancholy, haunting song last night. Great pitch too. I am rooting for Siobhan.

February 24, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. gayle

Dissapointing, for all the hype, i hear four good voices, out of these twelve. Katelyn, Crystal, Siobhan, Katie

the rest were at best, annoying, and over indulgent,
    and no i am not Simon, but apparently i starting to think like him.

Perhaps the judges should put on blind folds
    next year, and just listen better. I think, they messed up
    and sent the wrong people packing.

February 24, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bill Mitchell

Haeley Vaughn is just painful to listen to. How she made Top 24 over SEVERAL CLEARLY MORE TALENTED singers is beyond me.

I mean, there are some real singers sitting home watching her destroy that song thinking, WT*, no way she is better than me!

February 24, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dulce

Hey you guys, you mentioned Fantasia and Reuben as the only African-American idol winners. What about Jordin Sparks?

February 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Erik

I thought the judges were WAYYYY off on a lot! First saying people like Lacey or Didi were "mimicking" voices like Duffy...or maybe Regina Spektor, but praising the other ladies that have the typical "Diva" voices of Alicia Keyes or Mariah. How come they aren't told that?

And when they all said Katie Stevens song made her sound older was RIDICULOUS! She wasn't singing Sinatra, she was singing Michael Buble...a current and HUGE star right now. He just sold out the Sprint Center here in KC and the judges act like his music is from the 50s. Sorry Simon, but I know you want the next bubblegum Taylor Swift, but the crooning of Buble is a hit right now and you should have mentioned that....instead, you made it look like YOU weren't aware of pop culture, not Katie

@farrah....what kind of person has never heard the common Irish name Siobhan before? I have known two girls with that name...so being rude doesn't do you any favors

February 24, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. Ken Long

We – I am just glad that the singing is underway. I think the pre-season shows are turning out to be boring. Most people I am talking to would rather maybe have one show that summarizes the pre-season search and then get into the singing season. What do you think?

February 24, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jaime

I hated what they said to Katie Stevens. I liked what she did. If she'd have done something "younger", they'd have probably told her to do something more grown up. You just never know with that bunch what they're going to like and dislike.

February 24, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jimmy T

I am on IDOL strike and will never, ever watch any episodes that Ellen is part of. She adds nothing to the show and it's a shame she couldn't leave this show alone. Her dancing sucks, her taste in music means nothing to no one and her comedy is lame. When Fox finally dumps Ellen, I, amd ,illions of othersd will return. Idol's days are now numbered, especially with the departure of Simon. Just another lame show now, mostly thaks to Ellen. What in the hell were the producers thinking?

February 24, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  21. ODIE

I was very disappointed with the women last night. All I could think about were those who did not pass the audition (some who were actually better than some of the 12 women). I am sick of hearing "bad song choice". ......just judge them on how well or bad they did the song and forget about choice. I think I will opt out of voting this year.

February 24, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kathleen

Let us not forget that this is the first week.... first performance. If you could go back and look at Kelly or Carrie's first performance you most likely wouldn't be WOWed at first either. Give them a chance. It will get better and better.... it always does.

February 24, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  23. lindarella

Crystal never wathced the show before because she did not have a
    TV – she lived out of her car!

February 24, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  24. Str8 Outta Tx

this is not a beauty contest. where is the substance of what we are supposed to be watching? i am a 19 year old male, and as i've said before, i enjoy attractive women as much as the next man. but if they have no talent, then there's no point in the show. is there?

February 24, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. Mountain Jack

Crystal is way better than the rest of the girls. Very talented and plays a great harmonica. Haeley sound like a lost sheep in heat. Put her out to pasture - now.

February 24, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  26. Losing Interest

Idol has been sinking in terms of quality. They usually manage to pull a few good ones out at the end. The girls have been very low the last couple of years compared to the past which suprises me as I always though women make better vocalists. I await the guys but if they are as bad as the girls this year. I am tuning out til the final 5-6 as there was only 2-3 girls that even belong on the show at this point....

February 24, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  27. diane

farrah..first black idol? do you not remember Fantasia? Oh yes..she was forgettable...Diana DeGarmo had that in her hand to win. But Fantasia's poor girl story won. I think personal life stories..tragedies and triumphs should be kept out of the program. It has nothing to do with the talent. I dont really like any of the girls for that "star" quality..hopefully the guys will step up to the plate.

February 24, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  28. Linda Williams!

Kara is beginning to act just like Paula.

February 24, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jeff

Are you all kidding?
    Haeley is horrible!!!! She can't sing! Tonight's performance was terrible and Simon was the only who noticed.
    Lacey was all over the place and horrendous.
    Those two should be at the bottom, without a doubt!

February 24, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  30. Ebb

Am I the only one who notices that Haeley Vaughn speaks AND sings with a lisp. I found it very distracting.

February 24, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  31. Stan T.

Guys better bring it tonight, because last night was painful to watch. Mediocre at best. I couldn't listen to 10 of the 12, just fast forwarded :( Very disappointing... At this pace, Simon leaving next season, just may put an end to this show completely :)

February 24, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  32. Galoux

First performace, okay. Performaces 2 through 6–not good. The last half started firing on all cylinders.

February 24, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  33. al

I think this show is over. The excitement is so over-rated and the judges are so boring. I think Ryan is bored with the show himself, because he had no excitement. I believe it's time for him to move on, along with Simon or maybe the show needs to end.

February 24, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jamie

I agreed about Katie Stevens. She looked like her mom dressed her up for her school choir performance, and she got to sing a solo at the edge of the school stage. She should be better than that.

February 24, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  35. Mom01

I thought the all sucked. it was horrible. i sure hope the guys are better.

February 24, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  36. Lisa

I thought the girls were terrible last night, no one impressed me. Simon keeps telling the press that a girl will win this year – after last night I dont believe that at all. I dont like that Crystal Bowersox – she comes across as too good for the show – like she is better than everyone else. I do not like her attitude – I hope she goes home soon

February 24, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  37. Bob R

I think I need to get a new TV. The sound system must be going on it. If these girls were the "hotest" group of girls they have had then something is terribly wrong.

I think they saved the best 3 performances till last

February 24, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  38. ItzJustChris

It looks like it's going to be yet another Season for the guys! Last night was a let down!

February 24, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  39. Kathy

overall disappointed with the ladies. As someone mentioned – huge song choice catalogue and the choices were worrisome in some cases – – hopefully some will take the critiques and we will see a different show next week – why was Angela Martin cut again??

February 24, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  40. SRitchie

I forget about Lilly Scott- she's one of our faves:)
    I like Ellen- think she's doing a good job

February 24, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  41. SRitchie

Loved Didi, Crystal and Lacey! as for the rest- Blah! Defdinbitely didnt like Katelyn- what was she wearinhg? Still wishing Angela Martin was on that stage

February 24, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  42. Skeezer

Farrah there have been two black Idols already; Rueben Studdard and Fantasia Barrino. Haley, if she won and I don't think she can, would not be the first.

February 24, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  43. Janice

They ALL were bad!

February 24, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  44. Just A Thought

Katie Stevens was way better than most of the girls! Makes no difference how old she is or that the song was old – she sang it awesome. What do they want her to sing Miley Cyrus! Gimme a break! Katie was very good and hope she is back.

So where Lily, Michelle, Siobahn, Janet W, Katelyn and Bowersox, those were the best last night! Although none of the ladies blew me away! Hope to see better the next time.

February 24, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  45. Marc

Ellen sucks! She looks like she sucked on a lemon.

Baba booey Baba booey Baba booey!

February 24, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  46. Just A Thought

What kind of name is farrah? An old 70's actor from charlie's angels?

February 24, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  47. Benjamin Lee

Lackluster crop this year. I only remember Lilly Scott – not the others.

February 24, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  48. J

Haeley Vaughn was amazing last night. I am shocked that she's getting so many negative reactions! I thought her rendition of a Beatles song was surprisingly sophisticated with the melody and arrangement. I was not expecting that kind of performance from a 16 year old. She was the most innovative girl out there last night (she even played guitar during her performance). She wasn't pitchy at all and I really think that the live accoustics must have sounded different than the broadcast. The judges tore into her. I thought it was helpful criticism at first, but they really had nothing good to say.

Ellen is really not bringing much to the judges table... she rarely says anything worthwhile. It's always, "Sounded good to me." or "It seemed a little pitchy." She hasn't had a strong reaction to anything. Very blah.

February 24, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  49. Ann

What a let down. Probably the most boring live episode of Idol i've ever watched. There's no spark from the contestants, and no spark from the judges table either. Simon looked completely bored and miserable. Ellen is unimpressive so far, and Kara still makes me want to reach through the screen to choke her. I think I'm ready to throw in the towel on this show.

February 24, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  50. Deni

After last night I believe one of the GUYS will win this year. I hated every performance last night.

February 24, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  51. show dog mom

"Kansas mom" must have beans in her ears...

AND one doesn't need money to clean up ones teeth regularly; Appearance wise, Crystal has all the class and appeal of an un-made bed. UGH

February 24, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  52. Andy

What an underwhelming opening show! Ellen added nothing and I am very tired of the judges telling the singers to sing a song and make it orginal or sing something we wouldn't expect. What do they want to have someone sing a song in German while standing on their head? Sing a song well and that should be enough. I liked Siobhan,Katie,Michelle and Crystal (she reminds me of Gretchen Wilson)

February 24, 2010 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  53. Charlie

I'm listening to the show on Aussie Pay TV or rather, trying to listen to the show. While we in Australia can't actually vote in this competition, I really don't know how the American public could either if the sound quality they recieve is the same as what I'm hearing here. I can barely hear any vocals of the contestants but I assume that their performances were actually heard properly by the audience in the theatre, judging by their reaction.
    As for Ellen.....the exec that hired her to be a judge on a talent quest as important to these young peoples` futures and expect her to give relevant criticism is the King (or Queen!) of ultra bad taste!!

Overall this was not a good show tonight!

February 24, 2010 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  54. Tin

Okay, so it's my first time to ever watch idol and it's only because I am really digging Lilly Scott's sultry, haunting, jazzy voice. I was pleased that she did really well taking up a Beatles song, which is my favorite band, ever. I'm also loving Crystal Bowersox and Katelyn Epperly (her vocals are surprisingly very good). I also thought Didi might stood out and could possibly WOW! me, but no. I love 'The Way I am' by I.M. but she kind of didn't owned it entirely. Overall, I thought the girls' talents are not very astounding as the judges made it seem during hollywood week.

February 24, 2010 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  55. Sherri

It will be the guys all the way again this season, and that does NOT break my heart. Listening to the women is boring.....

February 24, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  56. Dick

I have to Agree about katie Stevens, I think she blew away the rest of the girls, She should be able to sing what she wants without her age being brought up, they just want to pimp her to the 13 to 17yr old bracket, which we all know has a short term memory. this girl is much better than that.

February 24, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  57. Chelsea

I actually didn't like any of the performances tonight. the only contestants that didn't end up bugging me were Didi Sioban (spelling?). I mean, yes, they were safe....but they were a hell of a lot better than the rest.

AI disappointed me tonight. Honestly, I can't wait for X Factor USA. It's time for something new....

February 24, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  58. CNNisTMZ

ZOMG, something criticizing CNN...delete it!

So, the "Sanchizing (useless, social-media, pandering)" of CNN hasn't reached the point that the actual internets can be acknowledged?

As I wrote, "hoooray?"

Welcome to the actual innerwebz, some people want you to actual report what is happening in the rest of the world...but, I guess, criticizing a live blog of American Idol is just, simply, TOO FAR.

Alert the FCC.

February 23, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Kansas Mom

I picked Crystal during auditions and I hope she makes it to the top...yes, she's pretty laid back, and I'm sure she doesn't have a lot of money, but that shouldn't matter...She is VERY talented...I Love her style of singing and her voice...Go Crystal !!!!!!!

February 23, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  60. linda

I kept waiting and waiting to be WOWED tonight, but it never happened. I liked Didi's voice but realized she sounded almost exactly like Megan Joy from last season, who I liked at first then......came to hate! Katie has a great voice.....and Siobhan, Crystal is talented, but she's rough to look at. I can't hardly stand her missing and yellow-gray teeth.

February 23, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Dee

No fireworks from no one 2nite!

February 23, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  62. CNNisTMZ

Honest, objective, criticism deleted...Yay, journalism.

February 23, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  63. show dog mom

Crystal needs to go home to her kid! She is so cheap looking and certainly does not fit in with the other girls. (What's with those missing teeth? Did she leave them back at the trailer?) I can't imagine what she thinks she's doing on Idol Simon's right: hundreds of "singers" just like her are in the subways doing exactly what she did tonight.
    Siobhan is a doll with a knock-out vioce and should go all the way!

February 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  64. farrah

CNN is TMz, CNN has had this blog for several seasons now, they have other blogs too, so don't hate them because of one thing. I do agree with you , Rick sanchez is an idiot, I hated him when he was in Miami doing the news and now that's he is on CNN I hate him more, he is very annoying.

February 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  65. eliza_57

Are you kidding me??

Katie Stevens was good – but super super pitchy. Yikes! I think most of these people should be singing with sheet music and pitch-pipes to find their keys and stay in them!

I agree with what you said about Crystal Bowersox though.

February 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  66. James S.

No, there isn't an Anna Nicole Smith story to live blog–probably because she's been dead for three years.

February 23, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  67. farrah

James S , If you don't like my comments you can go to another blog, I am not here to have an argument with you. Yeah, I am sure that everybody in this blog has at least one friend name Siobhan..it so common like, britney, ashley, mary or john..ha,ha..=)..my name is very unique, not common either but easy to pronounce,but I am not an artist and I am not on TV trying to make a career, if you are an artist and people can't pronolunce your name , that's a problem!!!, nobody would even be able to google you..LMAO..=)

February 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  68. protogere

Janell, Haeley, Michelle, Didi, Siobhan, Crystal and Katie I think are very safe. I look to see Lacey and / or Katelyn in the bottom two.

February 23, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Megan

Has Katie Stevens gone yet? How did she do...I can't watch it!!??

February 23, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Frank H

I always thought the whole show was a farce until the last 2 weeks.
    They are wasting everyones time with the NO TALENT HIRED EXTRA BAD PERFORMERS WHO ARE HUMILIATED ON STAGE FOR ENTERTAINMENT SAKE.

I can't believe the acts that get through, they should have been eliminated at the parking lot.

Of course this is only my opinion.

February 23, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Brownivygal

Sigh........what is this???? No one excited me. No one seemed like they WANTED it with capital letters. I am disappointed that I spent two hours listening to the Top 12 Ladies....they did NOT do well.

February 23, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Little Rick

Ellen sucks! Go Saints!

February 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Finnegan

I agree with Jeannine, Ellen is just bad.
    Everytime Ellen talks I feel like crying and throwing up. I'm not sure why but she just evokes that emotion in me.
    No more American Idol for me, weak singers and I just can't stand Ellen.

February 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Dee

umm Eric...I consider anyone who made it to the show to be an 'idol'....in other words a contestant. Of course Clay wasnt "The American Idol" but he's been more successful than Ruben, Taylor, etc. According to Wikipedia, Clay's released 5 albums, been on 8 tours, had a best selling book, various TV specials and appearances, been on broadway, etc. To me, that's successful.

February 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Huskergirl

I'm lovin' me some Siobhan and Crystal...they're the best tonight

February 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Eric

I agree with protogere in the fact that I really really like Crystal and could be entertained by her singing...but she is just so..."this show isn't for me, and whatev" and it will hurt her in this competition....and she won't care.

She will be in the top 12 however because of the rest of the girls lack of performances...but top 10...lets see how the guys do...she is going to have to come out of her "coffeeshop" mentality.

February 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Cristy

Oh my...I think im going to vote for Ryan Seacrest...He's the best so far.
    I hope the guys are better, if they are not...im not watching anymore.... Im trying out next year and im 34....clearly i can get some star power...remember PANTS ON THE GROUND, PANTS ON THE GROUND, LOOKING LIKE A FOOL WITH YOUR PANTS ON THE GROUND...
    We should've knew better when they let a 67 year old, war veteran in the there to sing...

February 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  78. farrah

I like Crystal too, she doesn't look like she is having fun. I think he is really talented as well and I hope they fix her teeth and hair.

February 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  79. James S.

Siobhan (prounounced shi-vawn) is a popular Irish name. And by the way, what sort of name is Farrah? This is the first live blog of the season, and you're already getting on my nerves.

February 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  80. protogere

Now now, she has no control over the name her parents gave her.
    As for Crystal, I like her a lot, but I just think she isn't going to make it. She has the attitude of I'm not in it for the passion of singing, just for where it can financially take me – and I don't see her winning any fans with that approach. No matter how good she is – despite the fact that she is really good.

February 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  81. cici

AMERICAN IDOL IS NO GOOD THIS YEAR! THE CAST THAT THEY HAVE CHOSEN HAS NO STAR POWER! THERE IS NO ONE WITH THE "IT" FACTOR. SO FAR TONIGHT'S PERFORMANCES HAVE BEEN OK AT BEST! I AM NOT IMPRESSED. I BLAME IT ON THE PRODUCERS FOR PICKING SUCH A HORRIBLE CAST OF SINGERS.

February 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Eric

I like the glass blower.....but im really interested in miss bowersox.......she has talent..I hope though she got her teeth whitened.....

February 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  83. farrah

Siobhan..whatever, what sort of name is that,,geesh, anyways, she is very dull and boring, no personality, she has a good voice but she will put people to sleep in press conference, what person doesn't know what a dark horse is?..OMG..

February 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Jeannine

Can they fire Ellen now? How horrible is she, I mean I can't stand to look to her let alone hear her inane comments. SHE IS TERRIBLE AND HAS RUINED THE SHOW!!! FIRE ELLEN!

Please have her go back to her boring talk show where she can ask guests such questions as "What is your favorite color" or "Do you like cheese". She has a stunning intellect, stunningly lacking.

I'm done with Idol. With Simon leaving that leaves no one to give these kids real input and Ellen will take over and bland-ize the show. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

February 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  85. protogere

Siobhan did a really good job there. Didi didn't do as great as I expected but I think again, she did a better job than they gave her credit for.

February 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  86. I am over this

I am over this show

February 23, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Rhonda

If it was up to me, all of the ladies would go home maybe for the exception of Didi. But the ladies truly suck big time. This is not the best that American Idol has had.

February 23, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Cristy

oh my, its time for this show to come to an end...Everyone should go home! Boring....WTH! lets protest to get this off the air...I tell you what... lets make american idol for adults...age 28-35....
    WHERE ARE THE GOOD SINGERS, GESH! GET OFF THE STAGE...

February 23, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  89. hayleybeth89

I am making a prediction that Crystal is going to steal the show!

February 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  90. protogere

And Clay does Broadway – but then again so does Taylor.

February 23, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Debbie

ATT? How about those ridiculous Old Spice commercials! Yikes!

February 23, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  92. farrah

Eric, clay has sold a lot Christmas albums, I guess he is a little succesfull..lol..=)

February 23, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Eric

um dee..clay aiken isn't an idol..and he isn't successful.

February 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Eric

im tired of aTT commercials.....and it sucks cause I like luke wilson as an actor....

February 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  95. PattyKay

I agree Lisa, please clue Ellen..Hot Mess is a Hot Mess...it is not a compliment. But I didn't hate Haeley, she was a bit pitchy but she was not awful....

February 23, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  96. farrah

I wouldn't expect anything less from Michelle , she is a professional singer who has sung backup for Joe, opened for little wayne, sings in her church and perfomed at Alonzo Mornings annual show, she has a lot of experience.

February 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Dee

I believe they put in some singers just so they get eliminated and the ones they really want make it through to the top 12. I'm sure many of those sent home are confused. Some of the former idols (who I can't name) may have had some degree of success. However the ones most successful are the ones who can really sing (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Clay Aiken, etc.). This is likely a blessing in disguise since Fox doesn't put the episodes online. I won't have to worry about rushing home to see it.

February 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Chris

I am not impressed by any of the girl singers at this point. Voices are off key and the songs they are singing are huge songs.

God, the landslide song that was sung....she should 100 percent be gone.

Much more talent in previous seasons!

February 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Mark, loganville

The judges suck more than the singers.

February 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Mark, loganville

Ok, Michelle has my vote. I think.

February 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Walker

Ellen is just not good. I think her sour face and lame comments drag the show down. She has nothing to say that hasn't already been said. Sure Paula was a dingbat but at least she was a cheerleader.

Ellen is adds nothing to American Idol and we've already tuned out – I think for good.

February 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Debbie

GO MICHELLE!

February 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Eric

now this is good...by michelle

February 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  104. tina-IRMO,SC

I THOUGHT ELLEN WAS GOING TO BE GREAT ON THE SHOW. BUT, I'M ACTUALLY QUITE BORED W/HER. DON'T THINK SHE'LL BE BACK NEXT SEASON.

February 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  105. farrah

Protogere: I picked Andrew to win as well as soon as I saw him do that cover of paula's song, he is really good, I hope he doesn't dissapoint me.

February 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Dalton Clark

Why are all the girls sucking tonight!!!!! I loved a lot of them when they had initial auditions.

February 23, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  107. tina

THAT PERFORMANCE WAS HORRIBLE! SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE TOLD LACEY HOW BAD IT SOUNDED IN REHEARSAL.

February 23, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  108. hayleybeth89

Lacey, you hurt my ears.

February 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Mark, loganville

Wow! I thought Lacey was pretty good and they are slamming her. The two that they should of ripped they had glowing praise.

February 23, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  110. protogere

LoL Farrah – this is true. I made my top three picks at Hollywood week like I always do and one is already out. That leaves me with Didi and Anthony ? (the Hispanic guitarist who covered Paula's song). But thus far tonight Haeley is the only one I am going to remember.

February 23, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  111. farrah

Brownivygal, I agree with you , I think the guys are better, =)

February 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Eric

love landslide...even billy corrigan's version....even the dixie chicks version...this was bad...bad....bad

February 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Dee

I remember when I used to enjoy American Idol. Now, I enjoy it until they pick the top 24. The focus is on diversity instead of singing ability. Diversity is great, but I thought the vocals were the most important part. I know that ratings are really the most important part so it looks like I won't be watching this season either unless some of the women left (or the men) do a LOT better than those I've seen so far.

February 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Simon

Simon looks unusually pissed today; I wonder whats up?

February 23, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Mark, loganville

Brownivygal,

I think you are right. I have my picks but none have shown that they are original or strong enough to get a contract.

February 23, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Brownivygal

Dear Farrah,

we HAVE had black idols before (see Fantasia and Ruben). This group is doing nothing for me so far :(

i think we may have another male idol this year.

February 23, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  117. farrah

oops Protogere, yeah I forgot..where are they again?....right?..Maybe I should have said a really good black idol..=)

February 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Eric

alot of love out there for haeley......I don't get it.....arrangement was just awful....if they hadn't said it was the Beatles I wanna hold your hand..I wouldn't have noticed it hardly....

She screamed at the high notes..and like Simon said...she seemed fixated on her smiling permanently....

But she does shine when she smiles..when she doesn't...you don't really notice her. I don't think she makes top 6 girls..

February 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Mark, loganville

Haeley should feel good. Simon just tried to destroy her confidence the same way he tried to do Jennifer Hudson. The only thing I agreed with him about is that she has to practice not smiling so much.

February 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  120. protogere

Farrah, what were Fantastia and Rueben if not black American Idol winners?

February 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Lisa

So far, very boring.

February 23, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  122. sharonbetts

not pleased – they tried way too hard........
    liked Katlyn and Lilly – othewise, not so much.

February 23, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  123. protogere

Wow for Haeley. I think she just easily moved into the lead in my book, especially for someone that I kept wondering why she even made it this far – until tonight. That was a nice arrangement!

February 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  124. farrah

Maybe we have our first Black idol this year, this girl is amazing..so seet and cute..great voice..

February 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Mark, loganville

Haeley Vaughn has my vote

February 23, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  126. farrah

Simon looks BORED, he is like whatever, I think he is over this show and annoyed with Kara

February 23, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  127. protogere

Jackie – while you may not find it entertaining, but as of last week 23.6 million American households did. That's pretty big and as this is the kick off week, it is news. If you aren't interested, go follow up on Cheney's heart issue, Toyota's latest blurb or what have you.

February 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  128. farrah

Katlyn: She sounded pretty good but she look like a hooker with the red lipstick, big hair, big earings, high heels ..lol..not a good look..

February 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Mark, loganville

I think the first two were actually ok. The third girl cracked throughout the whole song. I am shocked the judges were so adoring.

February 23, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  130. loretta

these are the best, I am still waiting, Lily so far the best but I am not blown away

February 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Eric

Your comment that they were too critical of Ashley wasn't warranted...that she wasn't awful, just not amazing.....

Thats just an idiotic statement...We aren't here to find mediocrity talent..if we were...then lets find someone who is as talented as Ashlee Simpson....

In the meantime while you are in your mediocrity search..ill be looking for the ones who are amazing!

February 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Sam L.

Seems to me that there is not a "punch" coming from these ladies so far. I want to see someone step up and seperate herself from the others!

February 23, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Jackie Estacado

Ah yes, a CNN LIVE BLOG OF AMERICAN IDOL. You know, because it's not like there's any other important news that should take center place on the CNN front page.

February 23, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Debbie

They would make this show so much easier to participate in if viewers could vote someone OFF rather than having to vote for everyone you want to stay!

February 23, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  135. protogere

I like Ellen thus far, I think she is current and certainly has a great personality. No she isn't Paula, but could anyone actually 'replace' Paula? I still can't stand Kara, I don't see that changing.
    Well, per Randy's request, the first two definitely wrecked the stage with their vocals – perhaps not how he meant it though. Janell was better than I thought they gave her credit for, especially in contrast to the praise they offered the first two.
    Paige was shaky and off key and Ashley was reaching for a lot of those notes.
    Lilly had a unexpected song choice yes, but I don't know, she just seemed so random – Randy took the words from my mouth – she sounded like an indie artist.

February 23, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  136. normal American

hmmmm...sort of not what I expected???

February 23, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Mark, loganville

American Idol judges have become so obsessed with looks that all they care about is looks. Now, Ellen is talking about the girl having a unique voice. She sucked! Unique is good if it sounds good. My first time watching in two years because of their over judgment of a performance. Sometimes it just is what it is. Good or bad.

February 23, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  138. farrah

I thought Wheeler was from Tampa!!!, on the intro promo she said she was Orlando, They have been hyping her up here in Tampa so much saying that she is from here, which is it? Tampa or Orlando?

February 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Brownivygal

I agree but Ashley really DID not do herself justice. Hopefully she survives! It'll depend on how the rest of the girls do.

February 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |