February 23rd, 2010

I pledge allegiance... to '24'

"24": Day 8 - 12 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Let's get right to it. This week's episode of "24" is the kind of episode we (a) pump fists for, and (b) pledge allegiance by.

Bauerites, we have liftoff. I've been pretty hard on the show in recent weeks, and many on this blog stood united on that front. We have been wanting more from Jack and the show to this point, and finally, we got the goods. The only word I can think of for this week's episode is fantastic. Seriously, that's the only one.

The show was so fantastic that I actually heard a CTU Senior Analyst say "My name is not Dana Walsh." (Me speaking to the TV: "Excuse me? Your name's NOT Dana Walsh?") Now, try to picture me raising up in my comfy "watching 24" chair, finally freed from the ball-and-chain of the dreaded Dana/Kevin storyline.

Freedom from this incredibly dumb subplot? Thank you!

Color me giddy as Cole got Dana's location coordinates downloaded to his PDA (a signature "24" move). I know for a fact Bauerites across this great land were rejoicing as the story unfolded. I was ecstatic.

Of course, I never thought for one second that Dana was going to "off" the beat-up van guys. Let's review, shall we?

Patented, quiet drive-up in her car? Check. Pistol? Check. Silencer to attach to pistol? Check. Actual guts to murder these clowns? Nope. I didn't believe it for a second, but Cole swooping in to deliver his message to the bad guys earned him some bonus points in the process. Well played Cole Ortiz, well played indeed.

As for Renee taking the fall, that interview scene was simply riveting and downright awesome. For the record, I'm not saying I cried when the single tear began taking that journey down her cheek, but I looked away briefly - and I'm OK with that.

Meanwhile, how about Farad Hassan? He went from sinister mastermind to cowering, wounded guy running for his life pretty quickly. I didn't see that one coming, but he never impressed me as a guy who could pull any of it off anyway. As far as I'm concerned, just take it easy Farad. If Jack and the CTU gang doesn't make it to you, you won't make it either. That's kind of how it goes when you double-cross your brother and get double-crossed buddy.

Next week should be another great show, and I'm excited. In honor of this week's extraordinary episode, I've decided to "go Bauer" all day today. My coworkers will get plenty of "copy thats" when they say "good morning" or "goodbye", and a few unsuspecting colleagues will be asked to "download the schematics of the fax machine to my blackberry" when I have trouble using it, because that's exactly what Jack would do.

Loved, kinda liked, or hated this week's show? Let us know!

Post by:
Filed under: 24 • television

1. Kbmaestro

Still looking forward to next week.

February 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tab

I truly enjoyed the show this week. But, I still do not like the Dana/Jenny character. I'm glad her stupid ex-boyfriend is dead and his friend but I still feel as though that part of the show can be left out. It is horrible.!!!!!We haven't gotten any further than we were weeks ago. We already knew she was not whom she claims to be soooooo.......why are we still dealing w/this unnecessary part of the show. Now Jack is starting to become the Jack I grew to love, Ortiz is doing his thing and Chole' is doing what she does best and that is remain faithful to Jack and Renee. I can say Farad was a surprise but I always felt he was a coward anyway. He is not good under pressure and obviously not willing to give up his life for his country....so why get involved in something if you can't follow it through.

February 25, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sk

My God what are the writers doing to 24? The whole Jack/Renee thing is a joke. They know each other 2 days and she stabs him. There was no relationship between seasons. Please!!!! Audrey goes to China to save him and winds up in that condition but he's supposed to forget her and go for a nut and take care of her. Dana is a mess enough said. These writers have to go. They are ruining 24. It is one day. We don't need a soap opera!

February 24, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chase

Hmmm, so is it standard procedure for the government to conduct debriefing interviews intending to place the blame on somebody after midnight? Couldn't these things happen...you know...in the morning? I mean, no bomb has even went off yet...yet they still need to interview a woman who is clearly still in shock and they need to interview her at 12:30 am?

February 24, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. David H

Hmm ok, Jack gets caught trying to steal weapons from the CTU armory earlier in the day, comes back later and knocks out a guard, throws the justice department lawyer against the wall with a choke hold on her neck, stares down the gun of the next guy while breaking his girlfriend out of her interrogation for stabbing some dude 13 times AND then CTU tells the team lead in Cole's place that ok I changed my mind, you're not in charge, Jack is. Hey I loved the episode but give me a little bit of believability... LOL

February 24, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Harold

This year's story is weak and made even weaker with the absurd notions that: 1) one can get from the UN to Queens to anywhere in NY in less than 2 hours let alone 15 minutes; and 2) that the FBI/CTU/any governmental agent can locate some missing anything within an hour or so after their loss is discovered and if not found in that time, the head of CTU is going to be fired. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? The FBI could not find the Christmas bomber and the warning went out weeks earlier!

February 23, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. victor

Chloe seems to be the most logical person in the script. I would like to see her more active in the story.Next to jack of course. I was just wondering how many batteries he carries with him during his adventures. He doesnt run out of batteries in his cell phone! Probably carries more batteries than magazine clips! he he

February 23, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Old Jack

I've watched all the episodes of all the seasons, and I keep wondering: who's the most indestructible? Bauer, Bourne or Bond?

February 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kbmaestro

OK! OK! Loved this episode, especially since the Dana plot has (IU think) resolved itself. By the way, is it I, or does Hastings have a posture problem! He head always seems cocked crookedly to one side or the other, espsecially when he walks.

February 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jojo

I am so glad something productive finally happened in the Dana/Kevin storyline, good riddances to those two bozos. If we are lucky, Dana will pack her bags and be on her way also. It is absolutely ridiculous she is able to do all the sneaking around she has been while there is a national crisis going on and now Cole is wrapped up in this nonsense also. Promote that kid Owen and tell Cole to hit the rode with Dana. I hope Jack is now back front and center and kicking butt for the rest of the day! "Son, you better put that down or you're gonna get hurt." I love it!

February 23, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DS

This season is just awful. Renee is the ruin of 24. I cannot believe the writers are making Jack fall for a psycho. He knows her 2 days and she stabbed him! She belongs in a mental hospital. For Jack to forget Audrey going to China just shows how lazy the writers are. Dana's story is ridiculous. A felon gets past CTU checks. Are they writing "All My Children" or is this 24 which used to be the greatest show in the world!! They made a mess of a great show. Get rid of Dana and Renee!!!

February 23, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kaye

Loved it! Others have given some of the best lines, but I'll add another. When Hastings was telling Jack that he had his full confidence in Agent Owen, and Jack said, "Yeah...If that were true, you wouldn't be here talking to me." (I love when Jack has to tell people to check themselves.) I hope they do end up making the movie. And it'll be a sad day if Kiefer decides to leave "24." I think that Fox will stick with the show unless and until Kiefer leaves.

February 23, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joyce

I know the show is running its course by how my heart reacts. I am not having to take my blood pressure during the show anymore.

February 23, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Alvie

Were we watching the same show? I thought it was totally predictable. I watch 24 out of tradition more than fan-dom. Because that show jumped the shark after season 3.

In my opinion, the main problems with this season are as follows.
    Not enough Bauer: we watch the show to see Jack, not 'other' people.
    Which brings the next point, there are no likable people at the new CTU.

Location: For a show set in NYC, they never show the city, they drive on wide streets and apparently find only isolated locations in the city.
    Originality: what is this the 4-5 nuclear threat? I know it's a TV show but at least make it plausible, Justice Dept prosecuting at 1am?

The producers can't keep recycling old plots and expect the audience to be thrilled. Time to find a 'new' cliche "24".

February 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dave Yaeck

When you can sit on the couch shaking because you feel like you are in the thick of it with Jack, that's a Bitchen episode. That's the first time since the first 4 hours I have felt that, and I think from here it's only gonna get better. I just can't wait to see how President Logan is involved in all of this.

February 23, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dave

"24" is a great show, and I look forward to each episode, however.... it is definitely misnamed! It should be called "14", as that's how many hours it takes (without commercials). Hooray for the DVR!

February 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Trapalon

I am thrilled that the Dana/Kevin story hole is finally filled in. About damn time! I din't really feel Jack breaking in to rescue Renee and get tasered out. It's vintage Jack, certainly, but I'd have rather seen Jack wince from the taser, reach around and pull out the electrodes and look at the guard and say, "What did I just say junior?" He gets stabbed, beaten, elecrrocuted and then a taser through a leather jacket takes him down?

February 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Abner

To those bringing Tony back, didn't he die once and for all last year? I seem to recall him getting shot or something.

February 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. funnygirl

Need Rene in the field. Like when shes tough. Jack needs a tough woman in his life he can relate too. Otherwise, the CTU director has to go, soon. Dana has to go, please. And if Jack wants to call the Prez he can but its not going to help with this story line. Maybe this should be the last season. And i love love this show.

February 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Reeno

Except for Dana, I like every one on the show and I kind of wished she would have gotten hit by gun spray last night and ended her character. I love that Jack is taking up for Renee and not letting the new head of CTU railroaded her, because he is certainly good a bully everyone else, but he can't stand up to one jerk, even if he does work for the whitehouse. Jack did his thing when he busted in on the interrogation and then threathened the head guy with leaving if he didn't help Renee, way to go Jack.

February 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Cindy

I thought last night was a pretty good show, except that that dumb ass missed Dana when he shot. Did anyone else notice how quickly she ran to the van to check on Kevin? I liked the lawyer against the wall thing, how many of us would LOVE to do that? Maybe the new director will go upstairs and look at some of the notes from the past directors and grow a set so he at least appears to be a leader. Still think this is one of the best shows on TV, always has been, but why did the writers have to take a scene out of Lethal Weapon, you know the one with Mel Gibson hanging from the ceiling no shirt, no shoes while being shocked with jumper cables???Come on guys come up with something original. Can't wait until next week, maybe Jack will get to kick some serious ass.

February 23, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dutyfreeshop

My main problem with this season of 24 is that we're in to episode 9 already and Jack has yet to knee cap anyone! I mean, what gives? That's classic 24. Plus, Jack keeps finding excuses not to torture anyone? What's that all about? I mean, he could have totally tortured Bazhaev, but no, now he says the guy was tortured back during the Soviet time and hence probably won't be broken. I'm like, WTF, Jack, torture the guy, otherwise, how will we ever know. Knee cap him some, I want me some Bazhaev knee caps!

February 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Finan

1. The Dana-Ortiz storyline is just stupid – ‘nuf said.
    2. The bad guys are going to blow up a dirty bomb in NYC – what a shocker!
    3. Fahrad doesn’t want to actually attack anybody – another shocker!
    4. I hope they’ve completely written the Russians out of the story now – I think the dad is headed to the holding cell that has all the minor characters from the last eight seasons they didn’t know what to do with.
    5. Even give the chance to redeem himself by flipping to Jack’s side – the CTU boss is still unable to be at all believable
    6. Jack and Renee – that should put the fun in dysfunctional couples therapy….

The clock can’t tick fast enough – thank goodness Idol’s in the top 24 starting tonight!

February 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Gabe

24 rules, and since The Shield is no longer running, House is the only other program I bother to record...There are more sub-plots, twists and turns, and outright surprises to come, 24 watchers...Jack will not disappoint...And Renee will get her groove back, and will kick terrorist butt before it's all over! Stay tuned!!!

February 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. mort

Agree 100% I love this season. The pacing has been fabulous. And I must say people have complained about the dana story but geez there was much worse in 24 history

February 23, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Val

Having watched from Season 1, I think they should close this series once and for all. They are fried and out of originality. Its repetitive, there is no thrill anymore, everything its predictable, seeing Jack covering up a murder its hilarious, I can't even recognize the guy that always stand on the right side even if it is hard. Renee killed the guy cold blood and she should be held accountable period. Plus having been stabbed, electrified, shot at and tazered in an hour or so he look s to damn good (not to forget the series of first hand fists he got from the cop just few hours earlier........) The subplot of Dana is patetic to say the least, the CTU director looks like the coach of a child's baseball team, the president is missing in action, just give us a break. Will watch till the end (because after seven season I have to – not want to) but please nomore.

February 23, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jen

Renee: When you said that I have you...
    Jack: I meant it as it sounded.

Doesn't get much better than that... oh wait, next week's preview:

Jack, to Renee: When this is all over, I want to be there for you, with you.

Their chemistry is just amazing. Both Kiefer Sutherland and Annie Wersching to a wonderful job. Can't get enough of Jack & Renee!

February 23, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Monica

Love your recaps. Kepp up the good work!

February 23, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  29. elmizmo

jack make chuck norris look like a wuss!

February 23, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. taxlady

Finally, i have found someone who knows 24. I totally agree with the article. Dana/Kevin situation has ended but now she has dragged Cole into this mess. It is so typical that the gov't want to blame someone for their screwups how realistic! I LOVE 24 and can't wait until the next episode. GO JACK

February 23, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  31. suzan

Please get a new actor for the CTU director and kill Dana she is
    just so useless.

February 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Riti

24 has got so predictable. The last episode was lame and seemed immature. Wish they could do the same magic as the 1st season.

February 23, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Adam A. from Bellevue, Nebraska

Don't get too excited about the end of the horrific Dana/Kevin storyline just yet....didn't you see the previews for the next episode? This subplot REEKS of the dead horse that just won't stop being beaten. I can see it now...for the next 7 episodes, we will have Dana/Jenni and Cole fighting off a criminal investigation on just who killed the two bums, having it affect their work quality and likely resulting in a nuclear blast somewhere, then having them being taken in and never being heard from again. Ugh.

February 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Radarman

Best scene was when Jack came back to CTU and burst into Renee's interrogation. New Bauerism to quote: "You better put that down son before you get hurt" Go Jack!!!

February 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. janeces

I have to agree with your opinions of last night's show. I think I sprained something every time I rolled my eyes when Dana and/or Kevin and his greasy little friend were on-screen. Glad to be rid of them. Although, the entire arc would have been more palpable had she gone to the director when Kevin first contacted her and set up a wicked sting to bring him and his greasy little friend down. I was surprised by Farad, but I can't wait to see how it's all going to play out!!

February 23, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. CopyThat

Huh? Dana's comment "I'm a convicted felon." This just shows how ridiculous the Dana/Jenny plot is – ya think that CTU might have done a background check? Nah.

February 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. JB

I would have preferred Renee snapping and putting the choke hold on the lawyer and Jack breaking it up. That would have made more sense.

Also, at the end of the show when Hastings agrees to let Jack go back into the field, Jack puts his man bag strap over his neck, I burst out laughing!

February 23, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Mike

Uh, really? Not that there isn't precedence or a pattern that has been well established over the years, but is there anyone on this show that WON'T compromise their principles? Especially when it DOESN'T involve the mission?

The Walsh/Ortiz storyline is filler. We all knew that going in. But it's so absurd that it doesn't wash. Ortiz really needed to have a Meatloaf moment (I'd do anything for love, but I won't do that), but instead did what he had to do for the woman he knows nothing about; putting HIS job on the line too. In the middle of an international crisis! And now they've got to deal with hiding/destroying the bodies and the van. You just know they're going to be sloppy and get caught in one way or another.

Sure it was "nice" that Rene fell on her sword for the cause, but you knew Jack would swoop right in and rescue her. So there's was little suspense there. Since no one at CTU seems to have any experience handling a crisis, Jack holds all the cards.

And it was obvious that Farad was going to turn, the question was when? You could see from the beginning of that segment that he'd lost control of the situation. Running so quickly was a bit of a shock, I thought he was going to make the phone call–to his brother or CTU or someone that could help, but, like all baddies, he's a coward first.

How do you fill 24 hours and make it believable or at least plausible? Not this way.

February 23, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Aditya

Actually I thought this was one of the slowest, most boring episodes of the season. Dana/Kevin story does not seem to end if we believe the promos and sneak peak. Ending the episode with Dana Walsh subplot was the low-point for me. Come on, Jack took the job. "Deal", said Hastings should have been the end. It would have made a great scene.
    Anyhow, hope they stuff Dana somewhere now and get back to the real action. Jack wasn't featured much in this episode, but the time he manhandled the Justice Dept woman was just spectacular. Hope I am not disappointed next week.

February 23, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Drake Bauer

Have to say, I was a little worried when it was getting lovey-dovey wth Renee and Jack, but they definitely brought it back around.

February 23, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Late Prez Palmer

Oh yeah.....Renee Walker....Giggity..giggity..goo!!!

February 23, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Professor

What a dreadful season, and getting worse. Recycled plots. The subplot with the engaged CTU analysts where they both leave during a crisis – what an Idiot Plot (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot_plot). The improbable, meandering Farad. The squandered Russian characters. And, then Jack jumps the shark with Renee. Please, no more Jack hung up and tortured – it's been done enough.

February 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Dwarfer

Anytime Jack is on the screen it's good. I'm saying it now...I seriously hope they don't kill Renee off. I thought it was a bit of a disappointing episode.

Someone needs to smack Hastings (a so not memorable or likeable character I had to look at other comments to remember his name) around and Cole needs to dump Dana. Both are excess baggage.

No surprise that Hastings would look for a fall person. Typical government and corporate garbage we see in our daily lives – that it will roll down hill until you find someone to dump the blame on so no surprise there.

Still, I will keep watching.

February 23, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jack Bauer Jr.

It makes me so happy that CTU has given control of everything to Jack...its about FREAKING TIME!

The show would be called 3 if Jack always had control.

February 23, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Prock

Love the show but how can the writers of the show let Jack walk out of CTU after beating up a guard and choking a representative of the white house. Plus Jack looked a little too fine 10 minutes after being tasered. However, if they bring back Tony and I will overlook the above.

February 23, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Keith

Your bar has been lowered... the only reason last night interested any of us is because Dana/Kevin may be done and Jack is now "all in." Aside from that the plot is too predictable. We need some of the shocks that we've had in the past. Why couldn't Cole have accidently shot Dana? Jack could have called the White House, taken Renee and left (whoops, that's hour 24)... or how about a real head turner and could some one please use a restroom just ONCE in a 24 hour period? I love 24 but more often than not it's like Marine Corps Boot Camp.... I'll complain the entire time but after I've graduated I'll fondly recall all the great stories and friends I've made during along the way.

February 23, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  47. John_H

Cole/Dana-Jessy/Kevin storyline has been, is, and continues to be boring and a non-starter. Unless it dovetails into the main plot, I hope it's basically over. The season/day itself seems to be moving slowly, comparative to last season (which is the only season I've watched...I'm new to the show).

I'm thinking we need Tony Almeida. :)

February 23, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Keith

Your bar has been lowered... the only reason last night interested any of us is because Dana/Kevin may be done and Jack is now "all in." Aside from that the plot is too predicatble. We need some of the shocks that we've had in the past. Why couldn't Cole have accidently shot Dana? Jack could have called the White House, taken Renee and left (whoops, that's hour 24)... or how about a real head turner and could some one please use a restroom just ONCE in a 24 hour period? I love 24 but more often than not it's like Marine Corps Boot Camp.... I'll complain the entire time but after I've graduated I'll fondly recall all the great stories and friends I've made during along the way.

February 23, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  49. JS

I think Phyllis is right and the White House Chief of Staff will be the new 'bad' guy. I, too, was disappointed with last night's predictability – and the scene with Jack and Hastings was waaaay too neatly tied to keep Jack involved. I didn't like it. It doesn't matter anyway as the season ends with Jack losing a bet and wearing a dress, then, losing $900K in a cattle embezzlement case. In the grand finale, Jack has surgery for a ruptured cyst – and the threat- and everything else- suddenly comes to a sudden stop. : )

February 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  50. B

24, I am devoted fan. Ever since my friends lent me the first season on DVD and I watched it, I was hooked. I have watched ever since.

I am glad that the subplot with Dana/Jennie is coming to a close. I don't think it's quite over yet. I'm sure it will end up biting Cole in the end. That sucks, because I like Cole. I was ecstatic when he picked off those Russian guys a couple episodes back with the Sniper Rifle, A$$ kickery right there.

As for Jack, I have been waiting for Jack to start being Jack again. When he told the guard, "you better back or your going to get hurt" oh man that got my blood moving. Then in the office with Hastings, typical Jack, "I'll stand." I love watching Keifer Sutherland play Pi$$ed, he does it really well.

I love this season, good stuff. The worst thing about 24, COMMERCIALS!!!

February 23, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Vladimir

I understand Jack doesn't care much anymore about what's happening in CTU or US but he's not as strong anymore. After all he's done he needs to rule CTU.
    The White House seems to be very weak and useless too. The plot doesn't touch on anything that is going on in international relations.

I feel like 24 is just running on repeat again. Nuclear Weapon, International Mafia, Jack saves everyone. Yawwwnnn

February 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jon

Lats night's 24 episode sucked. This article is completely wrong. It is the same crap over and over again. The interview scene with Rene was probably the worst scene of the episode. The show is done. Bauer, end it already.

February 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  53. DL

If you're a fan of this episode and season in general, then clearly you have not watched all the seasons/episodes.

this show was incredibly awesome in its heyday (torture, blood, killing) – it pushed the limits of television (re: jack killing a witness and chopping off his head in an effort to go undercover)

This show has had its day. The sub plots are very very weak at best. I feel that the writers are all getting bored of writing this show, because these side plots which usually brings great intensity and drama are quite dull.

They're a third of the way through this season with very little to show for it. Once the most pioneering show on television has become redundant and normal.

February 23, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Scott

I think Cole should just take care(shoot) of Dana now. He is pissed at her now for dragging him on like that.

February 23, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  55. kyle

is that livia milano between freddie and john??? went to playhouse with her. shes smokin

February 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Slack Bauer

Yawn. Another season, just like the rest. Some suggestions as to how to spice up what is rapidly turning into yet another derivatively uninspired outing of "Jack (Halfheartedly) Saves The World From Its Own Stupidity":

1. Resurrect the irradiated zombie corpse of Machiavellian former CTU director George Mason, from Season 2, to shamble in from his gravesite in the Nevada desert and lay the world's greatest gamma-ray infused smackdown on Captain Slouchy himself, Brian Hastings, for being an uber-CTU wimp.

2. Make an entire episode which is comprised of nothing but Jack staring intensely into the camera and repeatedly yelling: "Dammit! We're running out of time!" until we finally ARE running out of time and the final credits roll.

3. Have William Devane, as tough-guy Secretary Heller, roll up to CTU in a leather jacket on the back of a Harley to show all these callow youngsters how it's REALLY done.

4. Hey, remember a couple of seasons back when they freakin' NUKED a suburb of Los Angeles and then everyone conveniently forgot all about it?? Yeah. Do THAT again, only this time, nuke Wall Street. Preferably the headquarters of Goldman Sachs. And then have Jack show up and torture all the CNBC anchors for being obnoxious proto-capitalist cheerleaders of greedmongering idiocy.

5. Two words: Naked Mandy. Two more words: "In 3-D". Yeah. Run THAT after your Super Bowl, Fox.

February 23, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Joshua Weikel

I agree, except for the scene with Cole in the van...to me it just brought out how bad of an actor Freddie Prince Jr is....It was basically the scene in She's All That where he makes the two kids eat the pizza.

February 23, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Chris

Ok, so I love 24 but did anyone else notice that last week the Russian son was able to steal the rods all by himself and move them into a van. But this week it took a forklift to get them out of the van. How in the heck did the son lift those rods out of that crate all by his little lonesome???!!! Aside from that obvious 'oversight', really enjoyed the show!!

February 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Matt

I am sorry but I thought this episode was horrible. The worse one so far. But the good thing about bad episodes is that it usually opens up to great ones afterward. The only good part of the show was when those two idiots were killed cause they will be out of the story. Maybe Freddie Prinze will push Dana Walsh out of the car on the way back to CTU.

February 23, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mikeMazzla

Best scene of the night was Jack throwing the Justice Department chick against the wall

February 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Sam

Wow awesome episode! I'm wondering to see if Ali is being aided by some shadowing covert government figures like the past seasons. They always factor in some consiracy theory but I haven't seen one surface as of yet. Would be interesting to see.

February 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JACK BAUER

Another great episode of Bauer Hour. I always seen the relationship connection between Jack and Renee coming since last season. He's trained her to be a young torturer like himself. It's a match made in heaven. On another topic, the terrorist in this episode resembled to me what Al Queda is capable of doing and what they're thinking is like. It's getting down to the nitty gritty. I still don't trust this Hastings guy. If I were Jack, I would've called the President to see if she authorized the Justice Department lawyer to question Renee. One thing that is always true in every 24 season, there is always a mole somewhere. Last thing. I sure enjoyed watching Jack implement his patented chop to the throat and then elbowing the security guard. Vintage Bauer.

February 23, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Cindy

Is it just me, or did Jack seem to fall for ol girl way too quickly? Maybe I missed something, but it seems like the story went from "hey crazy lady, I haven't seen you in a year since the ONE DAY we hung out...hear you haven't been doing to well!" to "I have been trying to supress my feelings for you, but just can't anymore! I must finalkly admit my undying love for you!" Where did that come from? And I get that Jack often likes the damsel in distress, but come on this girl is seriously crazy. She's interesting, for sure...glad to have her on the show...but Jack's love interest for the season? Please no!

February 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  64. jt

Loved this line –
    Jack – Don't make me have to call the white house!
    Bubba – These orders came from the white house.
    Jack – let me clarify, don't make me have to call the President! What freaking pull!

February 23, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  65. jt

Please help me here – why it is that Jack has to actually EXPLAIN to Bubba how an operation to retrieve a bad guy that now does NOT have the fuel rods and has his own guys trying to kill him. He has nothing to offer at this point. As Jack said, we have to decide if it is in our best interest to save him from his buddies or cut a deal with them to get the rods back. This is not a job for an rookie agent!

How does Bubba not have heads rolling when his top analyst and agent go AWOL in the middle of a NATIONAL EMERGENCY!

At least he has the sense to lock Jack into a contract now instead of him being a part-timer. But the very idea of having to do something like that when he supposedly have a top CTU department is also laughable.

Also, can someone teach him to walk – he won't stand up straight. T
    That is so weird!

I am thankful for the end of the Dana/Kevin mess. But now Cole 'the boyscout' is going to commit a crime by covering up what happened with his stupid girlfriend? That doesn't even ring true. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb

February 23, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  66. MCK

I'm disappointed that we are STILL not rid of Dana... I was hoping she would get axed and gone by the end of this episode, but now I have to bare looking at her face for one extra hour – ugh!

As for Bauer, copy that! I loved all the action and I'm totally looking forward for more next week!

Chloe, patch me to the President...

February 23, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Outlaw

Gotta say that this was a overall good episode for most of the reasons stated. Number one being that the two thugs are gone and the plot development has turned and picked up.
    Love the Jack and Renee development and look forward to seeing how that plays out.
    The new deal on the plans for detonating a biological bomb on US soil should make for a good climax however it goes and we can be sure their will be twists and turns on the bad guy's logistical plan in getting a detonator and arranging for a target.
    I just hope they can keep things centered around Jack, Renee, and Chloe for the most part.
    I knew it was a better episode when when I found myself pissed at the clock running out seemingly too soon......another hour back-to-back would have been great! Business is about to pick up!

February 23, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Rachael

hahaha that was an amazing article and i totally agree. this week's show was intense and I loved it!

February 23, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  69. The Chilean Jack Bauer

Loved last night's episode. I thinks it's been a great season so far.
    After Jack, my favorite character has to be Chloe, Is She the craziest or saniest on the show?, I hope she gets the chance to pick up a machine gun and blow all the bad guys away like she did a few years ago. That is still my favorite episode ever!!!!
    Oh, and you can bet Jack will get tasered, stabbed, and tortured again before the day is done, he wouldn't have it any other way.

February 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Spooly-T

I'm on Team Chloe. She should be head of CTU, and not Bubba. She's too geek-hot to be another desk-jockey. Send her out to do field-ops, taking down tangos w/ a big @$$ gun.

Dana aint got S*** on Chloe. And i think Cole and Chloe should hook up. :-)

All jokes aside, the bad guys this season just doesnt seem scary enuf. How scary can they be if they are plagued by in-fighting among memebers/groups?

Plus, I just don't think a dirty bomb can even kill in 24hrs from acute radiation poisoning? Baddies on 24 should have more powerful weapons, not just crap that will cause discomfort...

February 23, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  71. Tom, PA

24 still Rocks! It makes my Monday night more interesting.

February 23, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  72. Mark P

I liked 24, but it's getting too stupid. Here you have Jack who has saved the World or Country for eight days and nobody remembers him or respects him. Last year CTU was stuck in a hallway, this year there are evidently several offices.
    Since I still like the action, I'll stay tuned. But now that we have "Human Target", I'd rather watch that, it's more fun. Plus you don't have to worry constantly that one of his friends is going to stab him in the back and then return to do it again.

February 23, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  73. JacktheMack

Its getting crazy every episode. Cutting off a hand, Jack getting stabbed, Renee loco! They should just have the season ending with JACK & RENEE vs the world! Once top agents now fugitives running for there lives. The only problem would be is that Jack will win. Unless he gets tasered in the back again. lol.

February 23, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  74. lynda garcia

I was desperately praying for the dana charactera to get shot and written off the show. My heart was racing during that scene. I was prepared to cheer the demise of that character, when much to my suprise....she lived. Once again that proves my theory of an affair between katie sackhoff and some producer on the 24 staff. Her acting is god awful. If I continue to watch 24 from now on, I would change the channel when she appears.

February 23, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  75. Knyteowl

the episode was one of the greatest ones ever.

In my area we call it the "Bauer Power Hour", and when he beats someone it kills them we call it getting "Jacked Up".

February 23, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  76. Matt

Good. Thank you, Mr. Ortiz, for putting an end one of to the dumbest, most distracting subplots since Erin Driscoll's crazy daughter. Hopefully, we can now get back to things that matter to the A story and kind of weave everything back into that where it belongs.

I'm also kind of looking forward to the teased conversation between the Presidents.

"So, Hassan, it looks like your moron brother got in over his head and now some crazy people from your country want to use these fuel rods to blow some stuff up. You're going to help me stop that."

"What?"

"Is President Taylor Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?"

February 23, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  77. Carl J. Sefl

Disagree with plaudits for this week's episode. The whole show, sadly, has run its course and has become hackneyed and too, too predictable. Characters played by outstanding actors new (to me) are good but writing and plot development poor. I would not be upset if 24 goes away after this season. It would sadly be one season too late.

February 23, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  78. Glenn Scheuerman

finally some other female character we can bash,other than Audrey.
    Dana Walsh belongs back in Hazzard with those 2. how would someone use a false id to get into CTU, explain that Hastings????????? AND YOU better give Jack everything he needs, and leave Renee alone.

February 23, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  79. AJ

I am sick of people complaining that this season sucks and, though they are a "Bauerite", they might not watch any more of it. If you were a true 24 fan, you would watch and love every minute of it, regardless of the "bad characters".
    This season, just like EVERY OTHER season is amazing. Mondays are my favorite day of the week for TV viewing. Keep doing your thing, Jack!

February 23, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  80. Tony Almeida

All i gotta say is when is Tony coming back!!!!!!

February 23, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  81. Mizzry

Jack delivered as always. That choke hold scene was the best...that Justice Dept hack didn't have much to say then, huh!

Nice to see Jack & Renee slowly make their feelings knows–Jack deserves a lil' lovin', after all he's been through.
    When are these folks going to realize, if Jack says so, then it's so!!!
    That CTU director, Bubba Gump, sure doesn't know what is going on in his own camp. He will be hung out to drive very soon.

February 23, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  82. MakingMondaysTolerable

Blaming someone else for a mistake? Where have we seen this before? It is almost as though there is still a conspiracy going on with the US government. Rob Weiss is a very sketchy character.

February 23, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  83. NP from ATL

Finally, some good action last night. Looking fwd to seeing more Bauer. :)

BTW, the last paragraph of this blog made me lol :)

February 23, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  84. Agent Tone

I for one, did not like last nights show. I have been pretty easy on the earlier shows this season, but last nights, the head of CTU telling Jack Bauer to sit down. Just didn't go well with me, Jack hasn't soften that much, the rest begins with Freddie Prince JR's girlfriend. OKAY, this has gone on way too long, there is always a side story that is the less intresting, but this one is really unrealistic, c'mon I seriously doubt any American that works for a Federal Agency would be that self-absorbed to put themselves before the Agency or America, or god I hope not, because it is really hard to believe.

February 23, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  85. Fran

Where have the writers gone? Where are the twists and turns that made 24 special?
    We are stuck with this predictable plot with Dana/Jennie and Cole. A crisis is going on and these 2 take off to search for dumb and dumber? Come on.

There is no chemistry between Dana and Cole. Please say that is the end of this sub plot and get on with it.

February 23, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  86. Bauerite

LOVE this season!.. Hate CTU chief... can he stand up straight!!!!

February 23, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  87. Ray Fischer

Loved it, mostly when Jack grabbed the lawyers neck, that is so Jack. Too many commercials.

February 23, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  88. Waynebo

This is absolutely the worst season ever for “24”, it makes for good “sleeping television”. This season has no plot, no excitement or action. “Jack” needs to find a new line of work, possibly a nanny or janitor in a defense contractors office building.

February 23, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  89. A-Town

Totally agree with all the statements. But, in my opinion, the most explosive moment in the show was Jack bursting into the room and putting a chokehold on the Justice Department agent. Did NOT see that one coming at all...

February 23, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  90. phyllis

I always love 24, it is best drama on the tube. I really like it, when Jack told the security person at CTU, he was going to get hurt if he did not put down gun, then they had to taser Jack, to stop him, trying to take Renee out of buliding. I hope that new CTU Chief, does not try and stop Jack from doing his job. And Cole, he is starting to remind me of Jack, he is getting better. I want to see more action, I am hoping that, Renee is not a spy for some crazy power hungry man, and turns on Jack. That would be bad. I was also surprise to see Farad Hassan, turn on his fellow criminals. Next week looks good also. The White House Cheif of Staff, maybe a bad guy. we will just have to wait and see. peace out.

February 23, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  91. mds

is it just me or does seem that the commercials take up more time than actual episode. towards the bottom hour thay showed 4 minutes of the show and 6 minutes of commercials and then came back with 4 minutes and again more advertising.

February 23, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  92. Tavo

I was hoping last night's episode will bring the goods, nahhh, I want to stop watching this season, is so bad that I'm thinking in watching "The Big Bang Theory" instead, the problem is I'm a Bauerite, but nothing that dissapointment this season, the characters are really bad, the story doesn't make sense, Bauer is trapped in the bureacracy, Chloe has not done anything interseting, politics,politics, talk,talk, Kevin/Dana, I'm frustrated...
    Are new writers in the show?, some realtives of the producers trying to make a name of themselves, what happend with the twists?, where are the really bad guys? the ones they are showing do not intimidate anybody,
    I'll try to keep watching, but the future doesn't look promising...

February 23, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  93. Dietcoke

This was the worst episode of the season. The one new character that I liked, Cole leaves in the middle of a national crisis to track down his cheating girlfriend. We didn't even get to see her off dumb and dumber.

The once interesting complex and compelling character of Jack has been reduced to one motivational through line this season. Rescue the damsel in distress, Renee.

February 23, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  94. L.A. from SWATS

Love, oh love, makes people do crazy things. Dana is just so not worth losing one's career over. Cole made a huge mistake there but hey...maybe Jack could obtain "immunity" for him. I am glad the losers are gone.

Also Is it just me or does CTU director "Bubba Gump" seem a bit nonchalant over half of his top people being MIA during a very big crisis? Well maybe he's just cool under pressure.

February 23, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  95. Jennifer

loved jack going into the integration room to save renee and loved him telling the guard to get out of the way before he got hurt...but tazered by a coward around the corner...come on jack is way better than that. love that him and Renee finally acknowledged that they where into each other and would be there for each other....now we just need Renee to find out that jack sacrificed himself for her well being and have her get back into the field and kick some @#$. I really like her when she is the tough chick...not the whoa is me girl she is being…I understand she went through a tough day last season but come on Renee you are the woman...Ortiz and Jennie are what going to dispose of the bodies and try to cover up what happened....Ortiz you acted in self defense and you are better than dana/jennie...way better move on and be the next jack...Hastings a heart for a second when he thought it was wrong to put Renee the chopping block...just for a second and that agent you integrated Renee I wanted Renee to slam her face into the table...back off lady...try going through what I went through and see how you handle things....I love 24 and i love this season!!!!!

February 23, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  96. ell

liked the show it got more of the story going but didnt have me on the edge of my seat. the biggest surprise would be farad, definitely didnt see that coming. it was clear that dana was gonna crack from the beginning, not really a strong character and it should be interesting to see what happens with her and cole since kevin and the other dude are now dead. next weeks should be pretty intense.

February 23, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  97. Grogin

I would have to disagree, I thought it was too predictable. Ortiz should have smoked the two losers in the van, Jack style. then gave his woman a nice lecture on proper "field" ops. We all knew she didn't have the guts to do anything and like you said last week, we should have gotten rid of this part of the story line sooner. It was boring and pointless.

February 23, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  98. Jeff Laboe

I tend to agree with all your statements! The only difference is, to have an episode that is so good, you have to have a few "down" ones, to appreciate it's awesome-ness! I have enjoyed this season a lot, it's amazing that just a few 'hours' ago Jack was on his way to the airport for a a happy ever after with his family! Man, I love this show!

February 23, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |