February 22nd, 2010

Jay Leno's "Tonight Show" lineup makes the A-list (sort of)

Will Ferrell said that he "may have a sore throat" should Jay Leno ask him to come on "The Tonight Show" appearance, but it appears that Leno isn't hurting for guests.

Over at the Backstage with Bryan blog on "The Jay Leno Show's" Web site, the guest list for Leno's first two weeks back on "Tonight" has been revealed, and it's quite a mix of names.

His first night back in the 11:30 time slot on Monday, March 1, Leno will return to his seat behind the desk for sit downs with Jamie Foxx and Olympic Gold Medal skier Lindsey Vonn, plus a musical performance from Brad Paisley.

Tuesday night brings both Sarah Palin and Winter Olympics star snowboarder Shaun White; Wednesday will belong to the most decorated American Winter Olympian of all time Apolo Anton Ohno, comedienne and E! personality Chelsea Handler as well as the cast of "The Jersey Shore"; and Thursday's lineup includes Oscar-nominated director Jason Reitman and Matthew McConaughey (with or without his shirt, only time will tell).

Leno will wrap up the week with Morgan Freeman and Meredith Vieira.

What do you think of his first week back? Can this lineup help him get the ratings he once had as host of "Tonight?"

Filed under: Late Night comedy • television

1. Robert

Laura, you are so off base it isn't even funny. Conan did get a raw deal. He had 7 months at the helm of the Tonight show with Jay as his lead in at 10PM, he didn't stand a chance. A talk show before the news, and then another talk show after, you can't say Conan had the same chances as Jay had with the Tonight show when his lead in was always top notch line up of shows. Jay stabbed Conan in the back when his own prime time show tanked and decided to pull his weight and force Conan out. Jay is scum for the way he behaved, and his little boo hoo act on Oprah didn't fool anyone, except perhaps Laura. Nice how Oprah gave Jay a platform to get his side of the story out, but she didn't do the same for Conan as he has a gag order on him as part of his settlement. Gee, I wonder who came up with the gag order idea, could it be Jay by any chance?? Of course. Jay is not the sweetie he makes some of you believe. He is a coniving, back stabbing jerk who has screwed Letterman early on (after Letterman gave Jay his biggest breaks in his career), and then he screws Conan after his prime time show failed. Jay should be taken off the air. I wonder when Oprah will be on his guest list, probably pretty soon I would expect, but then again, first he needs to have a real indepth chat with Sarah Palin!!! Boycott the Tonight Show people, Jay doesn't deserve it anymore!!!!

February 24, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joel T.

I hate to say it but Jay isn't funny anymore.
    His last monologue wasn't funny at ALL.

Jay you are about as funny as a pay toilet in a diahreah ward at the local hospital.

February 24, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. Chris

Since Leno decided to go along with NBC's stupid idea to rearrange the late night lineup, I had decided I would not watch him when he returns to 10:30. However the nail in the coffin was seeing Palin was going to be a guest. I wish that shrieking, mindless harpie would go swim in the Bering Sea....

February 24, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Laura

All of you who believe Conan got a raw deal are showing your ignorance. Conan FAILED! That had nothing to do with Jay. If Conan had the ratings, Jay would gone and Conan would still be the host. You people all need to grow up. The only person that screwed up here are the execs at NBC, and they screwed up in HOW they handled it, not in making the decision to put Jay back in the chair.

February 24, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. gayle

i guess, i'm in the minority on this board, and excited to have him back.
    Not so crazy about Palin as a guest, but train wrecks
    can be fun to watch.

February 23, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Andrew

Leno's humor panders to the brainless, the unimaginative and the easily amused. His bits are tired and chuckle-worthy at best. "Jay Walking" is smug and arrogant, "Headlines" is an easy bit because he doesn't have to write any of it, and even Kevin Eubanks seems bored after all these numbing years (and from recent stories I've seen, he might be bailing). Leno's interviews are an avalanche of predictable questions and recycled stories. Nothing new or progressive has come out of Jay since he did stand up. I would often watch Jay since he had always been the lead in for Conan. I will not watch Jay anymore, and I doubt I'm the only person who feels this way. NBC will soon be very sorry for dumping Conan, who has more humor, class, and character than Jay will ever have.

February 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tresea

I love J Leno! He's funny and I don't blame him one bit for taking the tonight show back. If the ratings weren't that great for Conan, then he would have eventually been canceled anyway. Let's bring J back with a big smile and a big Rah!

February 23, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lanny

Hello...HELLO...
    Jay could have walked away and said no. But he decided to let NBC put him in Conan's spot. His Show was doing awful, and was hurting the ratings of the local news.

JAY IS CHEESY AND UNFUNNY.

The best person on late night right now.... Craig Ferguson

February 23, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mia

Glad you're back Jay.

February 23, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mani

Am glad that Jay is back. I am relieved that I will not have to see the stupidity of Conan of Brian each night at NBC anymore. Conan's joke was so fake and naive. I would rather think Bill Maher makes me laugh 100 times better than Conan. But I am excited to see Jay Leno back at Tonight Show. Welcome Back Jay!!

February 23, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. IndyMan

People! This is just mindless, celebrity infused television. Calm down, already.

February 23, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. suzy

To say that Jay had nothing to do with the move are you kidding me?? Do you know how much money this man makes per season?? He's got a lot of pull over at N(no)B(blacks)C(channel) so I doubt he's just sitting back letting all the suits make the decisions...Open your eyes people...There's a lot of corruption out there.

February 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sharon

Hello, all,
    This seems to be one hot subject with readers! I'm glad Jay is returning to time slot vacated by Conon. I never got his goofy brand of humor. Perhaps he would do better writing again for SNL? Of course, I'm from the "older" generation so that probably explains it!

My only concern is this: Why ON EARTH would Jay start his week off with Sarah Palin???? That will be one night I won't be watching–yuck. I sure wish Jay would have thought his plan through better than this–for his show's sake!

Poor Jay lived under a cloud, knowing Conon was taking over and still doubled up efforts for entertainment and did succeed. That couldn't have been easy on him to face daily. Hope people "lighten up" on him!

February 23, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dawn

I'm thrilled Jay will be back with the Tonight Show. NBC made a HUGE mistake forcing him into early retirement. Conan probably feels abused, but truthfully, he is terribly unappealing and rarely funny. NBC is doing the right thing correcting their mistake. Jay is just who I want to see at 11:35 p.m.

February 23, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mack

No way I will ever watch this back stabbing jerk Leno ever again.

February 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jerry

Wow, way too much hatin' on Jay! C'mon, people, Conan is only slightly funnier than Letterman – who isn't funny AT ALL. Leno was and still is the best man for the job or NBC would've let him go and kept O'Brien. Simple.

February 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Str8 outta TX

this garbage is absolutely NOT funny.
    you want funny? go watch an old george carlin standup act. or you can view Lopez tonight. it is a far sight better than Leno... Or conan for that matter.

February 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Joelan3

Since I'm always hearing it's my choice what I watch. All I have to do is turn the channel then it's my decision to not watch Jay Leno. He was funny up until he took over the tonight show. What would I have done if I was a multi millionaire like jay. I would have let Conan have the show. That would have been the right thing to do. NBC doesn't realize how much they offended the conan fan base (the youth of America) WE DON'T FORGET.

February 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. SMT

I love ya Jay. So glad you are coming back. Conan is no loss whatsoever

February 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ken Stevens

Not interested in Leno anymore. No class. My preference for his first guest would be the moving man.

February 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. KJ

TEAM COCO.

I'm done with NBC. Rather watch dirty old man Letterman.

February 23, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Paul

Jay Leno deserves every "bum rap" he can get. The fact that anyone thinks he's a nice guy is just a testament to how successful he is at putting on that act.

This is a guy who hid in a closet to eavesdrop on NBC execs during the first Tonight Show debacle, so he could get insider info and use it to steal it from Letterman.

This is a guy who has stolen bits from Howard Stern shamelessly – and then even went so far as to hire away one of Stern's staff, all done in secret.

This is a guy who screwed over Rosie O'Donnel, who was initially offered a guest host gig on the Tonight Show shortly after Leno took over by NBC execs, much like Joan Rivers used to do when Carson hosted it. Jay put up a fuss, and the offer was retracted.

If ANYONE think Leno didn't have a hand in all of this NBC latenight business, they're kidding themselves.

February 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ellen in NYC

I'll be watching. I think Jay is a decent guy who became a pariah out of an NBC-orchestrated fiasco. He doesn't deserve the bum rap.

February 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Uptowngirl50

Alright, alright, alright, ENOUGH ALREADY!!! Okay, so Jay got his 11:30 time spot back and is going to host the Tonight Show again. The whole incident, unfortunately, DID happen but it's OVER now. In the process Conan O'Brien got the shaft. I enjoyed both Jay AND Conan, who in my humble opinion are both very funny comedians in each their own right. After Jay is host again for a couple of months people will move on and find something or someone else to blame, talk, or complain about and everything will be just as it's going to be no matter what crap everyone is slinging now. I love it when these all-knowing, self-important schmucks just have to 'stop by' and definitively say how either Jay, Conan, or both are not funny comedians. What they fail to understand is that they are just voicing their OPINION, not FACTS. If you doubt this statement, why don't you consider both Jay and Conan's considerable bank accounts? Failures usually have bank accounts that reflect the fact that they're bad at what they do. So enough already! Come March 1st it'll be back to business as usual. I'm just sorry that good old funny man Conan won't be following good old Jay.

February 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. BK

People give it a rest... It isn't as if Conan got completely screwed in this deal... I should be so lucky to get fired with a $20 million + severence pay. I thought he was "sometimes" funny if I was in another room and didn't have to look at him. He was obnoxious most of the time – which doesn't mean you have talent – just a smart mouth. I can get that from the teenagers I'm around. So, good luck Conan, spend it in good health but I'm glad I won't be channel surfing and have to look at your mug or listen to your mouth on a day-to-day basis.

February 23, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Busybee

I wonder where all of these Jay Leno bashers were when Conan's ratings were plummeting because HELLO?! You guys weren't watching him! (Conan) . . . . . Business is business. At the end of the day, Jay has a family to take care of and bills to pay just like everyone else. It sucks for Conan, but neither Conan or Jay are in decision making positions at NBC. Jay Leno is and will still be the man, restoring the ratings to that time slot. All these people saying that they're not watching WILL BE watching if nothing but to sit and hate, which is fine because you'll still be helping his ratings.

February 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JG

I know that I won't be watching the show.. I think what he did is horrible, he should of just walked away and let it be ...Conan was doing a good job.. Jay leno was acting like a spoiled brat...

I hope that his ratings go down down down...

February 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. CherylS

Why is everyone making Jay out to be a bad guy? Conan could have stayed with the Tonight Show and come on at midnight. He's the one who chose to go. Leno never chose to leave the Tonight Show. It was forced on him so NBC could keep Conan happy. Maybe Conan should be taking some of the blame for all this mess. Good luck to Jay and I hope it works out.

February 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Head Diva In Charge

It's the Tonight Show, of course celebs will sign on to promote themselves. The fact it's his first week is even better, everyone will tune in. The people that love him, and the people who want to see them fail. As far as blaming him for what happened.....you never know what you would do for the right amount of money. Don't cast stones.

February 23, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  30. Str8 Outta TX

yeah...
    these m*f*ers are the antonym of funny. absolutely no comedy. of the guests i read about, i like jamie foxx, and the olympians are talented, i guess.
    anyway try Lopez tonight on TBS, Monday-Thursday @ 10pm. much better than any other late night show.
    get some good people jay...
    for example, i would suggest the creators of South Park, Lil Wayne and the Young Money entourage (before it's too late), dave chapelle, Ray J, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Lebron James, american idol contestants, etc. in my personal opinion, i think he needs to think about his audience. perhaps a musical guest that people tuning in that late at night may enjoy. how many country fans do you know that stay up that late?
    and the reason many people tune in to his boring ass show is because they need a laugh to stay awake. the only reason i would laugh at anything going on on his show would be his spontaneous combustion or something.
    Leno... get yourself another hobby. perhaps a harmless sport, like cliff diving, or aligator wrestling.

February 23, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  31. John

Personally, I no longer have respect for NBC for what they did to Conan O'Brien, but Conan is hardly crying with his $40million settlement. Maybe Jay Leno is to blame, or is not to blame - I don't know. However, I am angry at NBC for having treated Conan so shabbily. Therefore, the only way that I have to vent my frustration is to NOT watch NBC. . . I've gotten used to Letterman this past year - I'm not going to watch Leno. No matter what Leno did or did not do, he still looks like a back-stabber, without honor or integrity. If he had an ounce of honor or integrity, he would have left NBC and gone somewhere else.

Of course, Leno will say "Its not about the money." Anytime someone says, "Its not about the money", you can be sure ITS ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

February 23, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  32. JD

Good Luck Jay!
    It's all about the money the stations make, don't blame Jay. Conan was good but not good enough to bring in the ratings the stations need to compete.

February 23, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  33. Brian

I think it would have been great if his first guest would be Conan. I'm sure Jay and Conan could play in to it quite well, it would really tick off NBC too I think.

February 23, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  34. Saynt

I never ever watched Jay, I always watch Frasier or Family Guy that time of the night.

February 23, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  35. BG

This whole fiasco is not Leno's fault. NBC is the one pulling the strings and shuffling time slots. All Leno did was say he WOULD take the Tonight Show back if NBC moved O'Brien. Leno didn't force Conan out, NBC did. I enjoy Leno, but am sad to see Conan go.

February 23, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  36. Doc

Looks like Leno's guest list is packed with NBC stooges.... Meredith Vieira and all those Olympic stars who are probably contractually obligated to sit on the couch. As for Jersey Shore and Palin, they'll talk to anyone pointing a camera their way.

February 23, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  37. Cyndi Tem

Good Day to all! I am really looking forward to seeing Jay again! He is so much more mature than Conan although I do like Conan...I like everyone actually...You negative nasty people should be ashamed of yourself for being so cruel....this job is his life.....it was NBC not Leno who failed...Conan got very poor ratings until the end..that's it....Jay did not take anything away from Conan...He didn't want to move to another time slot ...it was his boss NBC..have a little respect..
    say you had a little cash saved up & could actually retire comfortably.....however you love your job...if its all you know , you enjoy it can't see yourself leaving BUT your Boss wants your younger co-worker to take over & force you to retire or move to another one of their company's????? What would you do??? Anyway my vote is for JAY....All you folks should lighten up....bad things happen to those that are so hateful......................................Good Luck

February 23, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  38. Robert

Leno has Palin on!!!! That should be enough reason to never watch his sorry show again. Why on earth give that manipulative, lying, hypocrite any platform to preach her warped gospel! I don't think her child is the one with the disability, it is her!!! Better yet, Jay should have her hooker daughter on, that would be more interesting, perhaps with levi, kind of like a reunion show!!

What happened to Conan was a disgrace, it proves how dirty, back stabbing, and vicious show business can be, and how Jay's 'Goodie Two Shoes' image is just a lie. For anyone here to say that none of what happened is Jay's fault, or at least partially Jay's fault know's nothing of the power Leno wields. Had Jay been a real man, a real gentleman, he would have stayed away gracefully, and allowed Conan the chance to succeed. His return just proves what a sad, depressed, hack he has become.

February 23, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  39. Justin

I have no more hate for Leno after this whole mess. I always thought he was a hack who steals material and is just plain NOT FUNNY.

February 23, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  40. Keith Swanson, esq.

Dregs of the celebrity world. Leno doesn't deserve any better. Jay is scum! Go Conan!

February 23, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  41. AN

Yes! I say we boycott NBC and the Tonight Show.

February 23, 2010 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  42. Randall

After the whole Conan disaster, if NBC messes this up they’re sunk. What the network will do now is book as many big names as possible in hopes of increasing the ratings and gaining back viewers. The rating will go up, and NBC will pat themselves on the back thinking they made a good move by passing up Conan for Leno. Jay will see the success and hit NBC up for a raise. A few months will go by, the rating will take a nose dive, and NBC will be stuck with an overpaid has-been and no one to take over but Jimmy Fallon. I don’t have anything against Fallon but he’s not ready for the big chair.

NBC is a joke and believe we should boycott the Tonight Show.

February 23, 2010 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  43. DB

I really dont think Jay is to blame for NBC screw up, I like Jay and Conan both, this does not lie in Jay's lap, I will continue to watch him.

February 23, 2010 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  44. Brian

Way to go Jay Leno... I can't wait for return to late night!

February 23, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  45. Joel

Sarah Palin is only funny when she's not in the room...and if I want to watch Chelsea Handler (and I do), I'll watch her on her own show.

Conan's about thirty times as funny as Jay, so I'll be waiting for him to come back, wherever that may be! I used to watch Jay on the Tonight Show and the Jay Leno Show, but I have no interest in seeing him back on the Tonight Show. Conan's version was so much better, going back to Jay now is a huge letdown.

You shoulda gone out on top, Jay.

February 23, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  46. B

Wow, some real sour grapes out here.

It makes about as much sense to be mad at Leno for this as it does to be mad at the people who didn't walk away from their jobs, because their co-workers got laid off.

Get over it...or cry in your beer. Your choice!

February 23, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  47. Darin

What a group of red neck hee haws making some of these comments. They should never of offered anything to Conan but the front door. We predicted what would happen. He was worse than he was on the Late Show. Jay is the only quality entertainment on the air. Glad you're back to where you belong Jay. Letterman was OK ...but nothing more.
    Jay had nothing to do with pushing out Carson or Conan (Oh my G-D) what a ridiculous statement. Conan lost because his RATING were horrible. HELLO ..... that had nothing to do with Jay. The rest of you should find Hee Haw, and direct your attention to the back of a horse.
    Glad your back Jay. The change should never of been made in the first place.

February 23, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  48. ly disguster

ly, you have no intelligence. It's a job you idiot. He didn't ask to be fired. He told NBC that 10 pm wouldn't work. Go eat some fish and gain some brains you absolutye moron.
    Leave your sister alone too.
    Jayfan.

February 23, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  49. Mary

Love his sense of humor. I like the fact that he is a very respectful comedian. I will definately start watching the Tonight Show again.

February 23, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  50. Jason

Leno v. Conan...yeah it's all garbage. If you want to really know the name of the man behind this whole debacle, then look up Jeffery Zucker. This whole thing blew up because this guy wanted the company to compete in the younger demographics against Stewart and Colbert and other guys who have a strong young audience. Hell that's the main reason Conan got signed in to take the show from Leno back in 03, because he was projected to bring in the younger audience. So thank you Zucker for ripping Leno in his prime, as he was #1 till the day they ripped him, and for pulling Conan from his own demographic and ultimately ending his NBC career.

February 23, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  51. Mike

Amazing how the Coco Camp likes to point the finger at everyone and fails to look at their own responsibility. If you had been watching the show from the start and in the numbers you put forth at the end (as Conan himself stated) would have push the Tonight Show with Conan to number 1 from the start. However, he fell 40-50% behind Letterman and that is a FACT!!! All this POWER you think Leno has is very interesting, I never knew that Leno could wipe the stars from the sky!! The facts are simple, you (so-called) fans failed to support Conan when it was important and only came out when it was cool, and no matter what excesses you make or what spin you put on it, CONAN QUIT HIS JOB!!!! The rest is B.S.! Now if you don't like Leno that is fine, but hey it is the guys right to work and he was ASKED to return to the Tonight Show AFTER COCO said he would NOT move to 12:05!!! NBC did a number on Conan and that is no lie, but the crazy stuff you people come up with is just stupid. I know I would not have quit if I got the job of my dreams, would you? 32 million bucks as a going away present! ...don't cry for me!!! Now lets see IF COCO comes back and IF you people can finally support him...or are you all talk? TOO BAD YOU COULDN'T BE THERE FROM THE START!

February 23, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  52. Whatevah

It figures that Palin would go on Leno.

February 23, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  53. Leno Fan

SO GLAD that Will Ferrell won't be comming to the Tonight Show! I never want to see his hairy butt crack again (...as seen on Conan's last show...). Go Jay!

February 23, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  54. doesntmatter

no one seems to like leno anymore and for a good reason he's not funny anymore and the only reason i watch NBC is for football see you in Fall

February 22, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Robert

Palin and Leno. I'm surprised he doesn't have Cheney on too. What a pathetic weasel.

February 22, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Crystal Elseify

I loved Johnny Carsion as host of the Tonight Show and it took me a long time to get used to Jay Leno replacing him, but once I did, I enjoyed his show on a nightly basis. I tried to watch Conan O'brien's show when it followed the Tonight Show, but I could never see him as a viable contender or replacement for Jay Leno. His silly antics and his suspenders routine got old and became unbearable to watch. I am so glad that Jay is coming back to the Tonight Show. The show will be his for many more years to come. It 's too bad the network retired him so soon to make room for Conan. I don't know where these Leno haters came from. I never heard any bad publicity for Jay Leno before this conflict with Conan Obrien. Welcome back Jay, and best of luck with your return to your well deserved spot as host of the Tonight Show.

February 22, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Pamela Thorpe

I'm glad Leno got his 11:30 back, he should of never left. I enjoy watching Leno and his guest. As for Conan, he should go off the air, period. Maybe go to a cable channel.

February 22, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Mary Ann Hoogeveen

I like both Jay and Letterman and will watch them both,depending on who their guests are each night.I can't stand Palin but will watch the idiot, she will probably have to know in advance what questions he will ask,so she can have the answers on her hand.

February 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Karlee

Jay Leno is the most talented comedian on the airwaves. I guess he doesn't appeal to young punks like Ly and Cathi~~which is fine. He doesn't need you. The best man won, and well he should! Go, Jay!

February 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Paige Lopez

If NBC would have tried to pull this crap on Johnny Carson, he would have had the class to say, c-ya! Jay, you made a big mistake, you could have gone elswhere. Good luck!

February 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Ivan

Jay is terrible and he new exactly what he was doing. I tried watching his 10 PM show and it was awful, I was trying to find re-runs of Barney during that time so that I can have a better laugh. Kevin did the right thing by quitting the show, he unlike Jay remains a class act.

February 22, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Anne McNeff

Again, for the umpthteenth time, it was not Jay's fault RE: Conan,,It was the NBC Brass/empty suits....they are the one that made the awful decision to can Jay and bring in Conan...it didn't work OK???? forget about it....
    Conan 's audience is the college crowd,,who have no money to spend on products advertised on the show...So by now you know that it's all about money, It has always been about money. and always will be about money......Good Wishes to Jay on his return.

February 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Michael Jackson Campbell

First off, Conan sucked. I never liked his Late Night show and was worse when he took over the tonight show.

Second off, Jay appeals to more people than you guys want to admit to. He's funny. The only bad thing is that Kevin won't be on for long. Jay will have to find anohter side kick.

Third off, this whole fiasco will soon be forgotten once Jay's back on and his ratings are good. People have a short memory and like quality, which he will have. Once he gets Tiger Woods to come back on, this will be all forgotten.

February 22, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  64. LS

I'm done with the tonight show. I enjoyed watching Johnny, but never thought Leno was funny. Waited all these years to start watching again with Conan and really enjoyed it.

February 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  65. steph

hahahaaa... Palin? Really? I wasn't going to watch anyway but that sealed the deal. Leno has never been funny. It's a miracle to me that he's been on for this long.

February 22, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Doug

I won't be watching the Tonight Show any longer. I would think that Johnny Carson is rolling over in his grave! What a classless oaf Jay Leno turned out to be.

February 22, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mary

I will not be watching Jay again...the only reason I ever watched him in the past is if a guest I wanted to catch happened to be on his show. Now, I wouldn't watch him even for that..I'll just have to wait until those people I want to see show up on other talk shows.

February 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  68. shilton

I for one would like to see any celebrity with dignity refuse to be part of this sorry excuse for a show. If Jay had any sense of pride or compassion within his body he'd have taken his show's cancellation on the chin and bowed out gracefully making room for Conan to continue to develop his audience at 11:30. You may recall that Leno had rather iffy ratings for his first 12-18 months on Tonight so its only fair to give his successor that same shot to redeem himself. Look it up on YouTube, Howard Stern was a guest on Conan's show years ago and he warned him to look out for Leno. He said Leno would never graciously give up that show. Fast forward a few years later and Leno is one leopard who showed his true spots when he had ever chance in the world to walk away like a man. Leno is an egomaniac who'se past his prime. He practically pushed out Carson and now he did the same dirty trick to O'Brien as well. Look out Jay, its called Karma and sooner or later it will catch up with you. I am sure Tonight will do ok, but I doubt it will be the ratings leader it used to be. If you ask me, Leno's peddling damaged goods. The Tonight Show's reputation has been badly smeared with this battle over who the host shall be. Just another reason that NBC execs are paid entirely too much. A trained monkey could program better tv.

February 22, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Dave

More reasons not to watch Jay.

February 22, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  70. tc

If anything, shame on NBC for creating this chaos. I enjoy Leno, Conan, and Letterman. Life goes on. Move forward and forget the past. Time will tell.

February 22, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  71. super d

out with the old, in with the new.

isn't that what they were priming conan o' brien for?

life is strange. nbc is stranger.

February 22, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Laurie

Jay Leno is a funny guy and a decent human being. NBC was calling the shots, so don't blame Jay for their lack of vision. No doubt he'll be back on top. His competition has a problem with fidelity, lacks compassion and isn't funny. I've always loved Jay; Conan, not so much.

February 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Bec

Take away the Olympians & Miera (NBC owned) and the rest are lame guests. Not watching. Johnny retired gracefully and let Leno have his day. I even switch channels when the "Get Back" commercial comes on.

February 22, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  74. brian

who's next– peewee herman and marilyn monroe?

February 22, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Julie KUnz

Palin eh? That did it. I will never watch his show again. Can't we escape this woman?!!

February 22, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Giuliana

you people are all blaming Jay for this big mess, you may not find him funny but I tried to watch Conan and he put me to sleep everytime so if you people choose not to watch Jay it will be your loss and Jay will not miss you!!!!!

February 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  77. David M

I never really understood how Leno is to blame for this little spectacle. Admittedly I don't care how this whole things breaks down, given the late night due for me is Stewart and Colbert. However it does mystify me how the decisions of one Jeff Zucker, can bring about this crusader like mindset out of people. People are taking sides like it's a conflict and furthermore think that their actions and opinions even have any effect on the situation, which let me remind you no they do not influence the inner workings of NBC. Let's take a step back away from the petty mess that is literally fan-boy created.

February 22, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  78. BH

I understand everyone's anger at what happened to Conan, but what I don't understand is all of these completely unfounded statements of borderline hatred towards Jay. Yes, I've liked the show and watched for years, its not great some nights but other nights are better than others. All in all its a solid show. Everyone is so mad at him for supposedly taking out Conan etc. but what just absolutely makes me insane is that no one talks about the fact the Conan force out Leno 6 years ago!! Conan was going to walk to another network, so the NBC brass – which I agree with EVERYONE are the absolute evil and selfish corporate monsters in all of this – decided in order to keep Conan they would fire Leno. Leno had been at the top for over a decade and still was with no signs of slowing. So why wasn't Conan painted in the same way Leno has been this time around. He actually asked to be release from his contract before asking for alternatives...it seems like Conan was more than happy to shove Leno out the door to get his coveted prize vs. wait his turn patiently just like Leno did. So all of you that seem bent on taking out all this rage on Leno, please if you would explain to me how Conan is any different than what you are supposing Leno did?? I think it was horribly worse what Conan did. Leno paid his dues and put on a top rated show regardless of how you feel about it, it was #1 for almost its entire run – you can't debate that, its just fact. Don't wine either about Conan's ratings – I'm not talking about those. I agree his lead in from Leno was week – all I'm saying is why don't we call out Conan for forcing out Leno 6 years ago – is it just because its so long ago we've conveniently forgotten it was his fault this whole debacle started in the first place? Sure NBC is who made the incredibly more choices that they did, but if Conan wanted the big time and prove himself why didn't he just walk away 6 years ago, move to ABC or Fox and go up against Leno and really show us what he's made of?? Again, I would appreciate some explianation from those of you who seem to be getting off picking on the guy who was the the crappy part of this deal from day one, up until now....

February 22, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jackson

Are all of you people working for Conan? Why are you so bitter. If you knew the actual facts then you would know the Jay really didn't have anything to do with it. He was offered a JOB which Conan was failing at. Boo-Who for Conan he wasn't funny and lost his gig because he didn't want to take back seat to Jay, whatever people get over it

February 22, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  80. gibson

Every host of the Tonight Show has several memorible hooks that will go down in history as classic comedy. Jay's will be reading headlines from a paper. Which is Steve Allen's schtick

February 22, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Lori Nicholson

I will watch Jay Leno's first week except for the night with Sarah Palin. Blaming Leno for the NBC fiasco seems childish and I've lost respect for the actors who are behaving so badly.

February 22, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  82. gibson

Jay is washed up like he was on his last Tonight Show.

February 22, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Thomas

I dunno... Jay Leno and Sarah Palin seem like comedy gold to me... NOT!!

February 22, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Linda

Jay Leno is not to blame for NBC's choices. They moved him to make room for Conan O'Brien, then cancelled his show before it had a real chance to make it, and did the same thing with Conan O'Brien on the Tonight Show. I know everyone wants to "diss" someone but I really wonder what each of these people would do if they were in Jay Leno's shoes or even Conan O'Brien's shoes. You can say all you want that is nasty and negative but none REALLY know what they would do when confronted with this type of situation until they really live it.

February 22, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Ashtoony

I will not be watching Jay. He is not funny, infact he has never been funny. NBC blew it again!!!!

February 22, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Jason

I hate that he's coming back. So boring!

February 22, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Ivan

I used to love Jay, after the fiasco with Connan I will never watch him again or NBC. He is not a man in my opinion and have lost total respect for him once he showed his true colors. I hope his show gets canceled faster than "cop rock", and he takes the titanic (NBC) down with him.

February 22, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Ken

Do you really think anyone watches The Tonight Show based upon the quality of guests? Celebrities make the circuit, one night they're on NBC, another night on CBS. I will not watch Jay ever for one reason alone – he lost his sense of humor years ago and steals all of his "bits" from everyone else, including Johnny Carson, David Letterman, Howard Stern, and the BBC show Top Gear. Instead, I will watch Dave, Conan, Jimmy (Kimmel and Fallon), and Craig.

February 22, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Alec

Let's hope Leno's ratings plummet and NBC cans him.

February 22, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  90. HURLEY

Not impressed by the lineup but i fast forward thru the guest spots anyway. I only watch for the monologue and funny bits. Shame on Will Ferrell for that comment. Who needs him. He was funny on SNL but his movies are lame ! I think Jay will do just fine.

February 22, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Dee White

Ditto, Cathi, except the old part– look at Dave who must be as old but still has it big time Actually, I never thought Conan was funny either - but still, he was done wrong.

February 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  92. cathi

He's old, he's a has-been and he's really not funny. Dirty politics at NBC

February 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Mel6

Lots of folks were tuning in for Adam Lambert on March 2nd! I've seen many an interview w/ Shaun White already – won't tune in for just him. Would have only tuned in for Palin IF she were preceeded or followed by White w/ Lambert as a musical guest. Don't know why the change w/ Lambert, from whose camp that change originated, but a lost opportunity in my opinion. Hope Lambert makes in on the March 2nd show as musical guest afterall! If so, I'll be there.

February 22, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  94. ly

I wish this pathetic excuse for a human being nothing but failure. He's garbage just like NBC. Had he had any dignity he would have walked away.

February 22, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |