February 19th, 2010

William Shatner lands a 'tweet' deal

testing captions
testing captions

The show’s creators are for sure going to have to find another title, but at least they now have a star.

CNN has confirmed that William Shatner has been cast to star in an adaptation of the Twitter account @S-MyDadSays. (You can fill in the dashes.)

The show is reportedly planned as a CBS series to be executive produced by "Will & Grace" creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick.

The twitter account boasts more than 1 million followers and was started by twenty-something Justin Halpern after he moved back in with his parents. It features sayings from his cranky, seventy-something dad, who often utters comical insights not suitable for print here.

Halpern also landed a book deal courtesy of his father’s profane pronouncements, which have covered everything from his son’s smell while working out to his disdain for the novel “The DaVinci Code.”

Shatner has proven his comedic chops with his role in "Boston Legal," for which he won an Emmy, and as a pitchman for Priceline.com.

1. How to succeed in SEO in 2012?

I feel that is one of the such a lot significant info for me. And i'm glad reading your article. However wanna statement on some general issues, The web site taste is great, the articles is actually great : D. Just right task, cheers

September 18, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Head Diva In Charge

I think if she show is based on things a crazy old man says then Mr. Shatner will be terrific!

February 22, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Never Tweet, never will

@Twitterer

Um, Peter Boyle is still dead, last I checked.

February 22, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nighthaawk

I give it 1/2 a season!

February 22, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mark P

Men have the Shat, Women have Betty White. Laughs continue on no matter what age. Wish the Shat the best.

February 22, 2010 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. Norman Mhlongo

Hi Mr Shatner, we wishes all the best with your deal, hope you will do the same in S.A. help the country to change especially African countries.

Norman Mhlongo

February 22, 2010 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

I thought Kirk died saving the universe?!

February 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. M.B.T.

Have loved Shatner since I was 13. Still do ... can't help it ... it's a ... disease.
    I can hear his delivery of the lines already!!!
    Thanks for the news ... I'm a fan of "Sh*tMyDadSays" on FaceBook, and look forward to another success for Mr. Shatner!

February 21, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fumes

how about:

"What's shat you say?"

whatever kirk does it will be engaging!

and i'll be watching..

February 21, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. snappy21

He is one funny dude, I hope he sticks around.

February 21, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rob R-H

Peter Boyle would be a neat trick. He's been dead for like four years.

February 21, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The Crypticum Keeper

If anyone can make a rendition of the priceless $#|+mydadsays funny on TV, Shatner can.

February 21, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jerome S.

"Denny Crane....."

February 21, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ron E.

Like Bill, don't like Bill. Really does not matter, especially to him. He is an actor, whose credentials earned him another gig. Wish ya luck Bill, even though we've never met, probably never will. Ah, who cares any way. By the way, Loved you in Big Bad Mama with Angie Dickinson.

February 21, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Twitterer

I love William Shatner but I think Peter Boyle, or Jerry Stiller no?

February 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jp

Go Danny Crain

February 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Bert

I wish Bill would do a blog, like on HuffPo or something. I've seen the guy on TV of course, like 4 billion other people probably, but I just admire the guy's energy. If you heard "I can't get behind that" the song he did with Henry Rollins, that was riotously funny, at least I thought so, and the TV ads he does for priceline, those are a gut-buster too. Some people hang up their skates at age 60, not William Shatner. Do what you love, love what you do...

February 21, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  18. Sharpo

Congrats, Mr. Shatner! Another smart choice by CBS.

February 21, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. deepwater

Beam me up Scotty.....

February 21, 2010 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. Robert Ernst

Finally, I have a reason watch T.V. again:)

February 21, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  21. Zee

Shatner in person leaves much to be desired, but as an entertainer he always amuses. From Trek to SNL to Boston Legal. I even saw him at a convention, and he was great. Just when the required 60 mins was up, he looked at his watch, and walked off the stage.

This is a show I will definitely see. If you missed Boston Legal, you missed out BIG. He was what made the show.
    Good luck Bill!

February 20, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jeffer65

I read his two Star Trek Memories books and enjoyed them alot. he came off as being very funny. He definitely made a lot of jokes about himself in those books.
    Of course you know what they say – "never meet your heroes" Aren't most of these hollywood types arrogant schmucks?

Nice to see he didn't fade away like the other Trek actors.

February 20, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. gar

Shat-tastic!

February 20, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. VivekB

Perhaps it's time for a colorful metaphor, captain.

February 20, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Raena

All of my coworkers and I follow this delightfully rude Twitter account and it's such a coincidence that were just saying the other day, "They ought to make a movie out of this." And I certainly love William Shatner, in spite of the fact that Axel is right – Shatner can be a boob in person (I have met him). But a TV series? C'mon! Part of what makes the tweets funny is how unabashedly profane they are. I fear this deal isn't going to be as "tweet" as some people are imaging. Without the unexpunged swearing he's just going to come across as a cranky old man who will wear thin right quick. Don't see this lasting too many seasons.

February 20, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. bob adolfi

The MAN is,great and everything he doesis wild, \and a fun entertainer
    good luckin the new series ans we will be their as a good fan

February 20, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sean Keegan

Axel,

You are full of it.

I've not only met but worked with Bill on a film project and found him to be a great guy with an endless supply of stories he was willing to share.

We sat in the studio with Richard Baker of Santana fame and chatted for hours about everything under the sun. One of the most vivid memories in my own film career spanning the last three decades.

Congrats to you Mr. Shatner on your new show and the best of luck with it.

SK

February 20, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. veggiedude

Does Bill Shatner have his own Twitter account? I can see him tweeting "Get a life".

February 20, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. KSnyder

Bill is great! I've been a fan for over 30 years....love his music and his humor. I wish him the best.

February 20, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Janet

Can't wait.

Denny Crane.

February 20, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  31. mike

Shatner for President!! Don't care if he is rude since most people are. Kahn!!!!

February 20, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sara

Thanks, Axel, I agree. I went to a trek con where he was featured. We had to pay a ton extra just b/c he was there and he was very condescending and rude.

February 20, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jeanie

I happen to personally know Justin and his Dad. Not sure about Shatner in the role, but Jason Biggs is a dead ringer for Justin.

February 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Nimue

Rude, obnoxious, and arrogant? Shatner? What a shock.

I don't recall him ever pretending to be a nice guy. He parodies himself, and rather brilliantly. That's what makes him so much fun to watch.

February 20, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Denise

Obviously, Axel you have either never met Mr. Shatner or you caught him on a bad day. I have met him at least twice and he is a very nice, thoughful, generous person. He does a lot of charibable work and a lot of good for the community. He is hard working, especially for his age. Anyone can have a bad day.

February 20, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Culture Revulsion

OK, I'm done. This culture of ours is bankrupt.
    Twitter? HOW BORING CAN YOU GET?!!!

February 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mary Schneider

From his 1961 film, "Judgement at Nuremburg" to his current role in "Boston Legal," William Shatner continuously displays his incredible acting skill! Can't wait for the new show. Thanks for the great work!

February 20, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. REB

Axel is right. Shatner has never had any tolerance for fans and he makes sure they know it. He does his work, gets paid, and moves on to the next job. If people like it, that's great. He gets paid more next time. He does press and promotional stuff when he's required to, but fans are nothing more than butts in theater seats or ratings points for a TV show. It's business. I seriously doubt he cares what "fans" think of him.

February 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Cindy M

I'm wondering how some of Bill's former ST costars feel about this...especially the ones he's dissed. Of course Mr. Doohan is now deceased. Egad: Imagine the egotistical monster who looks down on you maintaining such limelight longevity while your career faded in the late '80s. :-p

February 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Hapshat

Bill is the Shat! He makes me happy when I am blue....he always has!

February 20, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  41. James in Canada

The only pitchman on TV I trust..

February 20, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  42. carl botha

"I will fight William Shatner"

February 20, 2010 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  43. Axel

Meet Shatner in person and you won't be such big fans anymore. I absolutely guarantee it. The guy is a total schmuck. He's rude and obnoxious, and even more arrogant than the character he's best known for. That's why I always call him Captain Jerk.

February 20, 2010 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  44. Victor Cosby

Too easy: "Shat Happens."

February 20, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  45. Matt

Huh. Great. I'm sure the censored network television version staring William Shatner will be nowhere near as funny as the extremely graphic curse-filled blog it purports to be based on. Oh, and by the way, that wasn't even funny either, just an old angry guy. Wow, never seen one of those before.

February 20, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  46. Charles in Cincinnati

Wow...9 comments about a story and they're all positive. That never happens on this site.

I'll make this one #10: Can't wait to see this...g'luck, Bill!

February 20, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  47. wke235

Obviously, it should be called "Shat my dad says"
    ...
    No .. I think a little reordering is needed. How about "My dad says Shat!"

OK .. so Shatner is the 70 year old with thousands of comical sayings and insights into life. Who should be the son, the poor soul that must listen to all his wisdom week after week? I'm thinking Michael Cera with his deer in the headlights look, or Ellijah Woods. And what about is wife? We need someone getting old who still looks great, like Lynda Carter or Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, that's it. Lets add in a wacky neighbor as well .. make him an ex-jock with an attitude. Brett Farve would be perfect! Oh I can see the series now.....

February 20, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  48. Thanatos

Bill RARELY ever tweets anything and when he does it's usually shameless self-promotion – go figure. I've followed him for as long as I've been on Twitter.
    For almost as long, I've followed @shitmydadsays and have often laughed so hard that I cried from it.
    While I love Bill, I just don't see him in this role. I do wish him the best of luck with it though.

February 20, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  49. RubyCat

Congrads! Now, Mr. Shatner woukld you like to take a look at a great script for a screenplay. The story takes place on the Big Island of Hawaii so you could take a vacation while filming!!!

February 19, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  50. DeeDee

He is no longer William Shatner, or Bill Shatner...he's just Shatner. The one and only.

February 19, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Branr

IF you want a legendary Shatner cameo, go rent "Fanboys". To quote the Shat, "Are you kidding? I'm William Shatner; I can score anything."

February 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  52. michael hardinger

Shatner Rules!! Listen to "Has Been" on his album. Wonderful!!

February 19, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Rick

Congrats, Bill. We'll be watching...!!!

February 19, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Wayne Messer

Sounds like something my dad says.

Go William. I'll watch anything William Shatner is in. I just bought "The Intruder" by Roger Corman which, Mr. Shatner was in.

I had saw an interview he did with Henry Rollins show. I've been a fan since the only Star Trek show.

I hated that he didn't at least get a cameo in the movie. It was WRONG.

I hope you have many years of success Mr. Shatner

February 19, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Archangel

To...boldly go....where...no sitcom....has gone before. Love ya, Mr. Shatner!

February 19, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  56. anabel

I get such a kick out of Bill Shatner, with his deadpan delivery and the ever present twinkle in his eye! Aside from that, his contributions to causes important to him show what a sterling fellow he is! You go, Bill!

February 19, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. docorlando

Obviously, it should be called "Shat, my dad, says..."

February 19, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |