February 19th, 2010

Kathy Griffin brings drama

testing captions
testing captions

Comic Kathy Griffin is going to be playing it straight – sort of.

The sometime profane, wise-cracking redhead is tackling a dramatic role on “Law & Order: SVU.” She’ll appear March 3 on an episode of the popular show portraying a gay activist who lays a lip lock on Detective Olivia Benson, portrayed by actress Mariska Hargitay.

Griffin, who has found fame mocking her status in Hollywood on her Bravo reality show “My Life on the D-List,” told the New York Daily News that she approached the role very seriously and did not want to let down the cast and crew.

"My mind is programmed to go for the joke,” she said. “My whole life is looking for the joke, but this was no joke. I didn't want to disappoint them."

The guest spot came thanks to the show’s executive producer Neal Baer after he caught Griffin’s act hosting the Creative Arts Emmys. The story goes that he vowed to create a role for Griffin that would land her an Emmy nomination ( the actress is well known for her desire to score high-profile awards and even titled one of her comedy albums “For Your Consideration” in an attempt to snag a Grammy).

Griffin told the paper she was so focused on her performance that she didn’t even sweat her first on-screen Sapphic smooch.

"I was so nervous about getting my character right that the last thing I gave a (expletive) about was kissing a girl," she said.

1. sheilah

I was a Kathy Griffin fan until her comment about Jesus when she recently won an award. I thought it was not funny in any way, shape, or form. I think that people that are famous, should be very careful with what they say, one minute your famous and the next minute you could loose it all. To be blessed to be able to do what you enjoy and not have a regular job, and to let your tongue wag like she did, she should be thanking God instead of denouncing Him. I pray for people like her.

February 23, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Robert

First of all, to Johnboy, you are an idiot! Disgusting is a bigotted, ignorant jerk such as yourself. You best go off and prey somewhere whilst staring and no doubt drooling at your full sized poster of Palin. Kathy Griffin, on the other hand, says it like it is, says what all of us think, and is not afraid of the repercussions that follow. She is an awesome talent, an exceptionally funny woman, and one I would always aim to watch. She is great! Bigots and those who find her crass, guess what, you have an off switch or even a channel changer, use it, maybe if your lucky you might find something interesting to watch on 700 Club!

February 23, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Debra R

ewwww! Better get checked Mariska....

February 23, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. rebecca

Finally, a celebrity who's honest about their painful, eye-gouging attempts to climb to the top in Hollywood! I love her honesty, brashness, and sense of humor. As long as Maggie's hitting the boxed wine and Kathy's proving the color commentary, I'll be watching with a smile on my face. Thanks Katheen!

February 22, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sharon

Sending out the love for Kathy....keep up the great work, girl.

February 22, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Head Diva In Charge

I will be setting my DVR for this one! Love that show anyway.....Elliot is zexy!

February 22, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. JohnBoy

Yet another attempt by Hollywood to make same sex union seem naturally ok- guess what.,., its not ok.. its disgusting.

February 22, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. UpSyndrome

A totally talentless shrike; belongs on the Bill Maher show.

February 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Vikki

not impressed at all with her. As mentioned two New Years eve on CNN and she was horrible and ruined the show. I cant imagine what could even be funny about her. I dont care for her at all, sorry, no go here..CNN what were you thinking man

February 21, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nick

Not to be rude but I don't find anything appealing about this woman. She has made some crass remarks I found to be horrid in the past. I usually watch SVU but I guess I'll be skipping that episode.

February 21, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ohio Jon

Kathy Griffin is a self-avowed media slut and fantastic at her job.
    Is she slowly working her way to the top of the media heap? Yes.
    Is she doing it by any means necessary? Yes.
    Is she honest about her aspirations and methods? Yes.

Good for her! She is funny and has worked her ass to reach her goals.

February 21, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. cathrine

listen you that wrote the bad things about her, listen to me IT IS HARD to be a celeb! they are under a big pressure all the time. and so what se made a mistake...

February 20, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lady Di Florida

I ljust love Kathy. She does gross me out sometimes & I cringe, but I can handle it. She's a pistol for sure. I can't wait to see her on SVU, as it's my favorite program-you go girl!!!

February 20, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. gina

I love Kathy Griffin. I think she's freakin' hilarious and she's not afraid of anyone or thing. I watched the CNN NYE over the other channels and I was laughing so hard the whole time. I've read Kathy's book, and she is a super hard worker who deserves all of the positive things that come her way.

February 20, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Allison

I saw her the other nite in Joy Behar Show.. Promote the show and her book deal,.. I love SUV , so I will watch it... You never know what comes out of her.. she open, crazy-bitch as they come.. something like ME! lol Wouldnt be surprise if this gets a Emmy NOD...

February 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. deepwater

This is just too cool. Now maybe, at long last, she can finally move up the rankings to at least a C- ....or not....

February 20, 2010 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. Patricia S. Dumas

she is divine. Nobody like her. Refreshing in every way...

February 20, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  18. Wolfe

Much respect for Kathy.

February 20, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  19. alex santana

Sorry, I just don't get this brash,boring woman! She has nothing to say and is talentless. She ruined two New Year's Eve's for CNN who should be shot for having her once, let alone twice.

She is just a big mouth, hot air balloon, hack! What must it be like to know her? Her family must be embarrassed with her. I saw her once at LAX screaming at the United ticket counter because her First Class ticket was not ready...First Ass is more like it.

February 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Joe

word!

February 19, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Cathi

In this world that now adays picks everything apart, criticizes every mis-placed word, and creates victims where none exist, Kathy has the courage and fortitude to say it like it is and express exactly how she feels. She may not be popular all around, and some folks may even be (gasp!) offended, but I say "You go, girl"!

February 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |