February 17th, 2010

'Jersey Shore's' J-Woww: Snooki and I aren't Italian

Despite all of the Italian references made on Season 1 of "Jersey Shore," some fans are surprised that not everyone in the cast is of Italian descent. Jenny "J-Woww" Farley revealed on Fox News' "The Strategy Room"  that she and Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi are the odd members out on the 'Shore."

Referring to the backlash for the show reveling in the guido/guidette stereotype – monikers considered to be derogatory to Italian-Americans – Farley said, “I’m not even Italian, so that stereotype doesn’t even fit me.”

Farley said she’s of Spanish and Irish heritage. As for her BFF, little "Schnickers"? She’s Chilean.

“Guidette is a stereotype that people misconstrued with Italians – it’s a lifestyle,” Farley said. “It’s like the mafia – there’s the Russian mafia.”

If you feel like you've just been told that the earth is not quite as round as previously thought, Farley said the cast was never trying to convince “Jersey Shore” fans otherwise.

“We’re not trying to imitate Jersey,” she said. “We’re not trying to be Italians, it’s just our lifestyle. We’re only trying to be ourselves.”

Filed under: Jersey Shore • television

1. read more

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I've truly loved browsing your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I'm hoping you write once more very soon!

September 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chuyen order hang quang chau chat luong tot, gia re

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I have really enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing for your rss feed and I hope you write once more soon!

August 26, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. team awesome

naturally like your website however you have to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very troublesome to tell the truth nevertheless I'll surely come again again.

April 18, 2012 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Julianne

I'm Italian on both sides of my family, 100%, and this doesn't offend me being an Italian, it offends me because this show is going allll over the world and they are representing us Americans as low life, moronic, TRASH. I don't know about you guys, but this is what makes me feel shameful. I don't understand how you all can be okay with them representing you as this.

October 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shayluh

Mhh, Snookie need's to stop acting like she's italian & stop saying she's a giedet. It just makes her look like a poser.

October 11, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jason

to janet that called snooki adopted parents morons?if you dont like the show then just watch something else.if you think it and all of them are trash then your the sad one that has nothing to do then watch and make fun.you seem to watch it alot,go and find someone that wants to talk to you,but chances are their home watching Jersey SHORE.the cast are just doing what all of us do:Having funnn

October 1, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. danihappy

I am Italian and it is so sad that thisstereotype is still used to make money. These people are morons that just hooked up with somebody that is using their ignorance and stupidity to make some money out of them. They are making money too but once their 15 minutes of fame is over, they will have to get a real job. I can't believe that there are people out there that support of this.

August 29, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sabs

Just want to point out being Italian isn't an ethnicity it's a Nationality... An ethnicity is being Asian, Caucasian, Black, Hispanic or Middle Eastern.

August 20, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

uhhh not true. white, black, asian are races. englsh, han chinese, and berber are ethnicities. Italian is def. both an ethnicity and nationionality. nationality is nothing but legally being a citizen of a certain country. If you're an American of Italian descent that means your race is caucasion, nationality is American, and ethnicity is Italian.

April 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tay

Whoa! This right here is pretty damn sad. All of you hating on this ppl cuz you don't have the life they have now. They never claimed to be anything they weren't; they were doin anything but living the life they were raised in. Ok, so you don't approve of everything they do or how they act sometimes, its ok cuz you don't have to; and I really don't think they care if you do or not. The show was created for entertainment only. You don't have to watch it, and if you do an you don't like what you see suck it up and quit complaining cuz your not the only ppl who feel some stereotypes are wrong. So italians do act that way, just some don't and have more class; some black ppl are hoods, but not all of us are that way cuz I'm surely not. So its time to get over cuz whether you like what they are doin or not, there are still gonb ppl who watch the show, like it , and want to keep it on the air

May 29, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jaclyn

I am 100 percent Italian and can say who cares its seriously just TV there are parts of stereotypes that are indeed true and parts that have been over embellished to gain viewers. lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0QwsuU7Ci4 this is a video of me doing a spoof of snooki.

March 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Snooks Vinny=luv

I like this show:)
    Pauly D=hot&funny
    Vinny =^^^^^^^^^^
    I watch this show solely for the entertainment:D

March 13, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jean

Neeq..I am so with you on that! Finally someone has some sense. The people that hate on the show are just as "dumb" as the cast..chill people!

March 1, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. sean the kid

wow jwow is dumb...that might be the worst analogy of all time "its like teh mafia...theres teh russian mafia"...what does that mean?? god these people r so dumb it hurts

February 27, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. Javsg

Reality TV is actually more fake than regular TV

February 4, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ViVaItalianos!!!

Ever notice how "Reality TV" is no where near reality? It is All a preposterous misrepresentation of how "things" are supposed to be. The Jersey Shore kids aren't even kids. They are a cool bunch of people having a great time making money as they party their asses off. I wish I could party with them and I'm 34. LOL. I am also half Italiano and am not offended by anything they do b/c it's called the jersey shore NOT reckless italian-american youth. SO HEARS TO THEM, SALUT! VIVA ITALIA!!!

January 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. YAYYY JERSEY SHORE

Ok sooo just for the record, I'm sure that 95% of all of u bloggers out there would accept any invitation to appear on a reality show. And if it just so happened to be a reality show about somewhere that you live in or near, you would once again accept this invitation.. agreeing with most of these commentators, WATCH IT IF YOU LIKE IT, AND DON'T IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT. No need to discriminate and talk negative about a show that bothers you, when you could be praising and approving of a show that you ACTUALLY like to watch. I think that would make a little more sense. After all, your only making your "enemies" of jersey shore more famous by meddling in their lives, and blabbering about them. If you don't like them wouldn't it be intelligent to not give them the satisfaction pf speaking their "TRASH" names out of your mouths??? GO JERSEY SHORE, each and every freakin one of u!!! Get your mother effin money and fly high above these HATERS...THEY WOULD DO THE SAME IF THEY WERE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY!!oo and if u didn't care about these people then I highly doubt you would be wasting your time to blog about them on this website!!! Thanks for the entertainment!!

January 28, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  17. Kitkat

I don't think this show is indicative of how Italian-Americans behave at all. I think it is an accurate representation of how a certain population of East Coasters are. I lived in PA for two years, and trust me, a large population of younger people living in Philly and its suburbs (not all of course!)I met behaved very much like the Jersey Shore cast. (the tanning, hair gel, the accents, the fist pumping, the bar fights, the alcohol ingestion) I love the show, it very much reminds me of my time in Delaware County PA.

December 19, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. beth

Not Italian and not from NJ. Any more good news, MTV?

November 23, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. elisa

hi, we are watching the show in italy right now (season2) and i just watch for having fun, it's just unbelievable. they haven't a clue what it is to be real italian, they really should get over here.
    i bet they get all beaten up for being such trashy wanna-be's
    elisa from Nichelino (REAL Italy, Europe)

November 16, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. Round Mirror ·

beach houses are really nice and it would always be a warm and relaxing place ;:"

November 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. primaitaliana

Snooki-Chilaen, adopted by Sicilians
    J-WoW-Half Irish & Half Spanish
    Ronnie-Half Puerto Rucan & Half Italian
    Vinny-100% Italian
    Mike-100% Italian
    Sammi-100% Italian
    Pauly-100% Italian
    Angelina-Half Italian & Half Polish

September 3, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  22. hayley

I'm a true Italian, 100% my family comes from northern Italy and I look and act nothing like these girls, guidos and guidettes are truly insulting to true Italians. Especially since these girls aren't even the least bit Italian! What a shame!

August 14, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  23. ashley

i always thought snooki was italian because she looks it alot . :S

June 29, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jack Beslanwitch

Many many kudos for Roger. As much as your reviews which are exemplary I have come to be addicted to your blog entries as well. Whatever you have lost in your voice and it is great, you were one the quintessential television reviewer in my mind, but your web site http://www.rogerebert.com is equally good and shows your courage, humor and massive strength of spirit that I can only be in awe of. Good luck and my prayers, thoughts and energies are with you.

February 20, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  25. AMB

okay honestly, the cast of jersey shore DOES NOT represent ALL italians or Jersey, so if you don't like them, DONT WATCH THE SHOW! just because they party, doesn't mean you do! theyre not representing you. they are being themselves.

February 19, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Joel T.

Snookie represents the lollipop guild, the lollipop guild!!!
    For those of you who are still watching Moron TV and don't recognize
    that lyric – let me explain...

That is from a classic movie called "The Wizard of Oz".
    You see, snookie looks like a munchkin. A trailer park munchkin... but a munchkin nonetheless.

February 19, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Erin

Mats Fan – RIGHT ON

February 19, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Samantha Morris

If you are trying to be yourselves, please, I beg you, stop now....because your horrible!

February 19, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  29. Douglas

why is this a show on tv?? why are people watching it?? why are these idiots famous and now rich?? it's f**k ups like this that are what's wrong with this country

February 19, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  30. DoLL

I've never seen a single episode of this show, but after reading everyone's comments, I'm so curious to see what all the hype is about. No doubt, I will probably get hooked, cuz really – who can turn away from a train wreck?? My point is – all the comments, controversy and attention is what is giving this show and the characters the sustenance to survive...the producers don't care about how viewers feel, they're feeding into the trash. As long as everyone keeps watching....THEY are laughing all the way to the bank.

February 19, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. Confused

Doesn't MTV stand for MUSIC TELEVISION? Where's all the music?

February 19, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  32. Dan

although I will say that JWow does have two very nice assets......that part is hard to argue with

February 19, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  33. Dan

I agree with Evan's comment....the only thing that looks remotely Italian about these two is their dark skin and hair...and the dark skin is probably the result of too much time in the tanning bed. They don't look Italian, they just look like morons.

February 19, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  34. lucca

Though I'm sure that Chile has many citizens of Italian heritage, I don't think that Snookie is one of them. She doesn't look Italian but does look mestizo, which is a combination of native american (Mayan or Inca) and Spanish.

February 19, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  35. Stephie

umm... Snookie is not "Italian Chilean." She's was adopted by an Italian American family. She said herself during an interview on TMZ that's she's "Spanish."

February 18, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  36. YoYo

Dear God I am so ready for reality tv to bite the dust! It has become more and more stupid and I think it has caused the dumbing down of American youth.

February 18, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Tony

The people on this show are all gross, stupid, lazy, vapid and shallow, Unfortunatley they are representative of a lot of teens and 20-somethings......how sad for our country. No wonder people around the world hate Americans.......

February 18, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Wayne Messer

There's no debate here.

They are both ignorant sluts!!!!!!

February 18, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. liz

is 4'7 short enough to qualify as "little" people status? that may be another career option for Snookie! yellow brick road, here she comes! lololol These people are the most vapid shallow reality show people Ive ever ever seen! I am so glad Im not the mother of one of them! what an embarrassment!

February 18, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Medina

Hahahhaa!!!
    Chilena & Irish-Spanish!!! Nice!!

February 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Don

Sheesh–Miss Polizzi is of Italian heritage. "Chilean?" That's like saying she's American, not Italian. By the way, she looks like she could be the daughter of Rocky's sidekick, Paulie.

February 18, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. glist

I think most should stop with the historical plight of europeans to south america. Looking at her, she is not Italian. Adopted by an italian family does not automatically mean that you are italian and you are of italian heritage. She is from chile and i am glad this came out! This is the new media where its up to people like yall that is supporting their lifestyle. Simply stop posting on this blog and it will died out and the show will be cancel! The less you speak about something the less $$ it will make!

February 18, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Head Diva In Charge

Who cares if they are not Italian – they are still both loveable train wrecks!

February 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  44. ADL

But you are both skanky!!!

February 18, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Christina

I don't care what they are. I just know I laughed my butt off when she got punched in the mouth. ahahahahahaha!!!

February 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  46. owned

WOW. I STILL DONT CARE!!!!!! From what I've read from reports everyone on this show is waste of life and thinks thier hot stuff, but none of them are. They are ALL average looking, not SUPER HOT, like every commercial makes them out to be and they are all about as sharp as a butter-knife and annoying as hell! Maybe the whole cast should put their heads together and make a rock pile.

February 18, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Debra R

Dearest Claudia: I am neither a racist nor am I ignorant...to use another example when Ted Danson showed up in blackface he was called a racist...At the time he was living with Whoopi Goldberg....it is time for us to move past these horrible portrayals of other cultures...EVERY culture has something to recommend it...this show is a obvious ploy be the racists who invented the show, the actors portraying them and the fools that think this is OK. We should have evolved since then. I get no pleasure from watching other cultures get slammed....that's why after the first show I stopped watching...

February 18, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ren

if anyone doesnt want to see the jersey shore kids just stop watching and change the channel

February 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  49. freddy j

people like dirty laundry. that is why the show is on. Bimbo's at thier best

February 18, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  50. Chris

Yeah, these kids are terrible. Cashing in on reality fame while they have a chance????? If they were respectful and hardworking like the rest of us, they would be sitting at their computer all day arguing with others about a reality show.

February 18, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  51. American Italian

What makes this show more damaging to those of us who are Italian is that these 2 "Bimbos" are portraying Italians and telling middle America that "We are Real Italians", this is how Italians act and live.

We don't act or look like this, and this is nothing but a lousy stereotype promoted by the media and a few losers who have basterdized the American Italian.

These 2 and the other members of the cast are an absolute disgrace, their parents should be ashamed of themselves and their kids.
    The show shoud be renamed "Bimbos and Baffoons".

February 18, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  52. David

I CAN'T wait for their 15 minutes to be up. Let the clock tick away on these sweaty, ignorant, talentless tards.

And @ Billy Jr's "Socialist agenda" rant. Quit tea-bagging yourself and pull your head out. Perhaps you prefere the "good ole" days when GW was king and was driving our country off a cliff.

You sound as ignorant as the jersey shore numbwits. Maybe you should audition.

February 18, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  53. taytay

Chilean? No.

Skankapotamous? Yes.

February 18, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  54. Pablo

Does anyone actually care what these hideously overtanned retards think?

February 18, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  55. Ryan

Rupert, just to let you know not all rednecks are like that. I happen to be from the north and am a bit of a redneck, I have contributed to society more than a few times. Next time I think you should put a little thought behind what you want to say because you have no idea what you are talking about.

February 18, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  56. Str8 Outta TX

i was under the impression MTV stood for Music Tele Vision? why the hell is there no music?

February 18, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  57. Billy Jr.

America is in trouble due to the Socialist Agenda USA, and the anointed one, BHO, not Jersey Shore. It is what it is, and if you don't like it, change the channel. Take another look at Sammi Sweetheart.
    She may be just a tad heavier than absolutely ideal, but she is still very hot.

February 18, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  58. Claudia

Dera R, Feb 18th 7:05am – Italians have negatively portrayed Hispanics on film – can you say Scarface? I think there might have been like 2 real hispanics on there with Al and that ridiculous accent. Its still one of my favorite movies though. All of you offended by the "negative" Italian portrayal on this show are hilarious, including the congress man calling for the show to be cancelled. Nobody stood up to talk about the negative portrayal of African Americans in balcksploitation movies, or about the drunk white girls on Girls Gone Wild videos. Oh yeah, that's because as long as the warped media isn't portraying you a certain way its all good. Don't be mad at Snooki, JWWOW or any of 'em, they are feeding a market that is there, or the show wouldn't be in production. Its funny how these comments brought out all the bigots out of the woodworks to make comments about these kids. How exactly does someone "look" italian? You are so racist and one sided and ignorant.

February 18, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  59. Doesnt Care!!!

I HOPE EVERYONE ON THAT SHOW GETS HIT BY A BUS!!!!! because it is the stupidest, trashiest, piece of crap that has ever hit television.

February 18, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  60. Corinna

I kinda knew J-EWW wasn't Itailan but just a chick hired by producers just to keep a bunch of crap going on in the house and at the clubs when the cameras weren't rolling.

February 18, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  61. gabigna

not only does Chile have an Italian population but they also have a large German presence in the southern part. so does Argentina.

February 18, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  62. Kim

I miss the music videos too....MTV stands for Music TV..so where is the music videos? I can't stand to watch MTV any longer.

February 18, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  63. Sirays

Thank God, they were giving Italians a bad name, I can't believe people watch this garbage.

February 18, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  64. common sense

Neeq is 100% correct !! MTV is ENTERTAINMENT !!! If you're looking for cultural enlightenment or accurate ethnic portrails tune into PBS. Lighten up for cryin' out loud !!!

February 18, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  65. Jeff

Their 15 minutes are over in 5...4...3...2...1....

February 18, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  66. SveFeris

I am Irish-American, I am offended by the image of the leprechan. Please cease and desist or I am going to throw potatoes at you while I am drunk. That's what Irish people do you know...lighten up people!

February 18, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  67. Liz

Wow...there is a lot of hate on this page. If you hate these people so much, why are you even reading this article? This is JUST a TV show. You are supposed to think the cast is crazy. People watch because they are train wrecks, not because they idolize them. And anyone who does probably didn't have a bright future ahead of them anyway so relax already and enjoy the foolishness....or TURN IT OFF. Jeesh!

February 18, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  68. NYMM50

I never thought this ugly, skank Shnook could be Italian. She looks more like an OompaLoompa.

February 18, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  69. guido

garbage show featuring garbage people.

February 18, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  70. KenMcD

It's just entertainment. Love it or leave it !!!

February 18, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  71. Pammy

Who cares if they're Italian, Chinese, Chilean or Alaskan....these guys have a show that people are watching..and we have a choice we either see it or we change the channels. They like to party, have fun and be straight out crazy...and the venue the JERSEY SHORE!!!! I'm sorry I live in Jersey..PROUD OF IT!!! But what these kids are doing...is nothing I didn't see while I was in college at many of the clubs in Jersey, is a way of being.

Seriously MTV has been putting this out for YEARS with the Real World..... look the show is funny, entertaining and really mindless fun after a long stressful day at work. So we can continue arguing if they're Italian or not...WHO CARES!!!! watch it or not... we have a choice. This is not the worst that's on TV, really isn't.... TV turned for the worst when reality TV became part of everyday network line up.

Can't wait for Season 2!!!

February 18, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  72. Becky

A Guido is a slang term for an Italian Dude. A Guidette is a slang term for an Italian Female. If you label yourself with those names and you are not really Italian...You are a total POSER. Period.

February 18, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  73. hunter19

....should be J BOW WOW

February 18, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  74. urbanfreak

When will the music videos come back? Reality t.v. killed the video star I guess...

February 18, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  75. Weow

This doesn't surprise me, being that like on one person from the show is actually from Jersey. I think it's Vinny or something.

Vinny is actually the only likeable one because is a true italian. He is traditional, doesn't believe in jelling his hair to a porcupine needle or going to the gym every day and you can see by his family, which is large, it's very close knit.

everyone else is just a joke.

February 18, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  76. Gingertee

For the people who want their old MTV, you better get a revolution behind you because at the end of the day, it is about dollars and cents. These shows make more money than rolling videos all day and MTV is about making money. They have their alternate channels that play videos all day, but MTV will play what pays the bills and nothing less, but the video days were great.

February 18, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  77. Susan

with all respect to real Italian families, this isnt the first time that MTV has put people from Jersey on TV. IT seems like most of the people from this part of the country act this way and this normal for them. Seriously like someone said its MTV they rarely potray role models on tv. Its controversial and it gets ratings. I hope that when these people see themselves on tv they may think twice about some of the things they do or how the conduct themselves in public because im sure they have younger siblings or will be parents some day. again im with some of the other bloggers MTV what happend to the Music videos!!!

February 18, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  78. Cassie3

It is an MTV reality show. And just like all reality shows, noone is trying to be a role model, they are trying to cash in on having their lives videotaped. Go to any frat party and you'll see the same behavior. It's young kids partying. You don't like it? Don't watch it. Real World and Road Rules and all those other shows are the same thing. Seriously, all you people "up in arms" over this need to get a life.

February 18, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  79. Gingertee

Neeq, I love you. Your comment is the best I have read on the NET in a long time. My god, if I thought the women on The Real Housewives of Atlanta represented all Black women, I would be screwed. They represented themselves and GOD bless them for wanting to share it with the world. Sure some people will think that all Black women act as they did and I know a few too many who do, but so what. They can do themselves and I will do me, as did the cast ot the Jersey Shore. You take a couple of 20 year olds, give them a rent free house on a hot beach, surrounded by nightclubs and they sell Teeshirts at a beach store for a living. What were people expecting, Masterpeace Theatre. GET REAL. What I saw is what I expected and no more. At that age, I may have looked similar, to a degree. (BUT THAT'S ME). If all start to be defined by TV shows, then we will all become vampires, cops, crazy housewives, whipped husbands, or smart fifth graders. We will all need a TV judge and fat camp too. Hey that is all of us (LMAO)

February 18, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  80. edgarX

FYI: Chile, as with most South American countries, during the 40’s and 50’s had a large an influx of western Europeans (mainly England, Italy and Germany) who settled there and started families. You’ll find plenty of Italian surnames in these countries. Being born south if the border does not erase your ethnic background; you are still an Italian-American just the same as if you were born of Italian-lineage parents in the U.S.

February 18, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  81. oopsie daisy

I used to party and chase girls at the beach myself, but these guys are like 30, hopping into hot tubs with 18 year old ugly chicks. I had more game than "The Situation" when I was blind drunk with vomit on my shirt. If I ever woke up with a "Snooki" on my arm, I'd chew it off. Well, i kind of just admitted that I watched the show, but hey it was "Jersey Shore" or a rerun of "CSI Miami" and Horatio is way too cool for mortals like me...

February 18, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  82. Angel

Don't know about JWoww but Polizzi does sound Italian.

Does no one stop and think that Italians just might of migrated to both north and south America? Is a Chilean of italian heritage any less "Italian" than a Gina from Staten Island? Or do all Italians only live in Italy and the US?

My wife is a Peruvian who's great grandfather was off the boat (in Peru) from Italy... she's got the looks, customs, mannerisms, and the temper to mirror any the "Italians" i see here in northern NJ.

February 18, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  83. Alice

This is just more ridiculous garbage born of MTV's desire to shock and upset viewers into watching their shows. The girls are trash, the show is trash, it's all trash. It's sad to see that certain ethnic groups are being targeted for abuse and stereotyping. If these were a group of white kids calling each other and themselves the "N" word, I doubt this show would be on television as long as it has. And yes, it is the same. Racism is racism. There's certainly a double standard.

February 18, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  84. marcela

Chile was settled by immigrants from Italy. She may be Chilean, but with a name like that, her ancestors most certainly emigrated from Italy.

February 18, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  85. pat

I lived in Wildwood NJ for 5 years in the 70s. Back then it was saturday night fever haircuts and fist pumping to Macho Man, but it was the same people. The most sterotypical guido's are still atracted to the Jersey shore. Thier real,they do exist, and have for the last 40 years that I know of. Get over it.

February 18, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  86. snarky-t

who wants to watch a show about fat and overmade up hosebags and their greaseball friends? I watched part of a show once and cant believe how low tv programming can go. MTV you should make a show about my life, its much more interesting and I'm not a short fat stupid girl.

February 18, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  87. Dave

As long as they shave where its necessary, I dont care...well actually I dont care anyway

February 18, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  88. sean thornton

I never heard of the show, the cast, and thought mtv had died as well; after reading the article, I realized I was wasting my time, nothing new here...more bob jobs and makeup.

February 18, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  89. sallie Wilmot

while this show has it's downfalls, It is entertaining and the cast is funny. i started watching it because of my teenagers and I am a fan!! It's stupid and mindless ; far better than watching the depressing chatter on CNN or Fox.. We all need to chill out. They seem to be good kid's...

February 18, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  90. AB

My italian family was never like this either, im not all italian. But spent most of my life with my italian side of the family. Im not going to do a biography its ok you can put down the bats, and pitch forks lol. But for real we are the only country in the world where people who are idiots can make big bucks. We really are the land of opportunity lol. Anyway,
    I watch this stuff , becuase i think its a interesting social experiment. and microscope view however nerdy, jwow right. of how a subculture lives , and my verdict so far is ... ridiculous, ignorant, superficial, but funny to think anyone could live like that seriously.

February 18, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  91. Reader

before clocking in for my day – haven't watched this, don't care and wonder why so many do – I just clicked it to see what a Snooki was – now I know....ewwww – didn't know there was trailor park trash in Jersey ..... makes the south not look so bad

February 18, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  92. Laura from Milan, Italy

Sorry for my curiosity, but how should be a person with Italian heritage?

February 18, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  93. Unreal

This is what is wrong with american society, there is no hyphens in american. If you are born in america you are american, your ethnic background can be some country but your nationality is american. When someone says they are Italian or Irish, ask them to see their passport because you never saw an Irish or Italian passport

February 18, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  94. Steve

Yeah, you can tell they are no Italian. Italian broads spread out at a young age from all the pasta and crap they eat. Most Italian women are very fat, pretty faces but fat!

February 18, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  95. warsteiner

I love the show and JWOW is hottt!!!!. Snookie is cute and the nice girl is really witchy sorry but shes dumb and self centered. I also dont see the problem with nice kids being nice kids and having some fun and good food.

February 18, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  96. Ilaria

Polizzi IS an Italian surname. A lot of Italian people emigrated to South America, too. So there you go, she is Chilean with Italian heritage.
    I am Italian from Italy and they DON'T look Italian at all. Maybe Italian American, but I am not sure about that either...

February 18, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  97. Anne

what I want to know is – what is wrong with all these people that actually care about the show and the characters...it is completely idiotic...why do we need to legitimize trash?

February 18, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  98. Ty

Change the channel people if you don't like the show... It's REAL easy

February 18, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  99. Debra R

OK so we have 2 hispanics giving racially offensive portrayals of italians...wonder how the latinos would feel if the roles were reversed...oh wait... they would be crying the actors are RACISTS!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  100. Mike Snifferpipits

I'm in Afghanistan fighting for this? Brilliant.

February 18, 2010 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  101. NYC

Funny how so many people complain and say this is crap TV but continue to watch these programs. And don’t say you don’t otherwise you wouldn’t have bothered to click on the article, read it and then write a post.
    Life is short and if they are making a quick buck from these shows then I say good for them, if you don’t like it then change the channel, these shows are not meant to be educational.

February 18, 2010 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  102. J

When is Snooki going to go back to the chocolate factory?

February 18, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  103. Natalie

Actually the show says a lot more about us than it says about Snooky & the gang.

All the networks are training us to accept scripted "reality" as entertainment–it's waaay cheaper than the traditional scripted format and makes good business sense. 10 years from now, we'll all be watching snow on TV and we'll just love it.

Welcome the coming mass-brainwashing of America...they keep feeding us garbage and we eat it up like it's caviar.

February 18, 2010 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  104. GnySgtHartmann

Snooki is hot!

February 18, 2010 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  105. wnelson72

,.....UNBELIEVABLE !!! So its STILL A show about self absorbed morons?!?....lol RACE does'nt matter !

February 18, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  106. Bob

Snooki is Chilien, adopted, lives in upstate ny.

how about you ppl stop watching the show so we are rid of these snobs once and for all.

February 18, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  107. SurRy

Who are these losers?

February 18, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  108. GetOverYerself

Actually, JWoww says this on the show, that she is not Italian.

Snooki grew up in an Italian family, she says her Grandmother is Italian.

The cast clearly state that they are from different parts of the East Coast and that they are going to the Jersey Shore for the "summer share" house. Many people pool their money together and share shore houses every summer.

Nobody hid anything about themselves.

Yeah, I liked watching Jersey Shore. So what?

February 18, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  109. mike

These kids are not giving Italian people a bad name....Italian people do!!!!!

February 18, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  110. J.S.

not a surprise really, they were fake Jerseyites...

The Americas are a melting pot, not just the United States....

February 18, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  111. JerseyShore is Over-rated

Its really not that big of a deal! lol

February 18, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  112. steveo in kcmo

oh these posts are so entertaining! far more than than the video trash that started it all.
    least I know now what channel to avoid running into these criminally dumb beautiful yobs on.

from what precious little I've seen of the whole cast, dont think they're from Italy but rather a far more populous and very overly-represented country at least on TV; the country of Stoopid-onia. it's right there next to Loser-visk, west of Moron-O-Lavia and Siliconia Breast mountains in the remote province of South DipSquat.

beware intermingling your genes with members of this pool. th trees there dont branch much, yo if ya get my drift, i'm just saying....jam up and yo, watch out for their scabs, I mean abs.

February 18, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  113. Echo

Snooki is adopted.

February 18, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  114. Dave "Mountain Bound" P

I think it's hilarious that all these folks have alias names like "JWOWW", "Snooki" and especially....drum roll inserted here...."The Situation AKA Sitch"
    You can hardly make this up.
    The fact that this is news worthy is what baffles me brain..

February 17, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Sam

Polizzi is Sicilian. My Mom is a Polizzi/Pollizi. I've hadn't ever heard it being Chilean but who knows.

February 17, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Dennis

I thought Snooki was from the Shire

February 17, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Jeff

Please tell me their 15 minutes are up... I can't believe MTV is paying them $180,000 each for season 2 and they get thousands to appear at clubs. STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO THESE TALENTLESS LOSERS!

February 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  118. ct06111

Bring back the old MTV....Please

February 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  119. starla

Every time I see pics of these chicks I say to myself there's no way they are italian.

February 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  120. kevin

wow, now i can sleep tonight !!

February 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  121. lish

NO ONE WILL EVER C THIS COMMENT LOL! THIS GOT TO PPL IT SEEMS...... BOTH THEZ CHICKS IS KOOL IN MY BOOK N WHO GIVES A F*** IF THEY AINT ITALIAN WHITE PPL TRY 2 B BLACK WTF IS THE DIFFERENCE !!! GET OVER IT AMERICA ITS OUR LIFESTYLE!!!

February 17, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Marcy

To Maren Sullivan

It seems the TV "posers" aren't the only uneducated ones. I am Chilean and posing as an Italian is NOT a step up. Please enlighten yourself before embarrassing yourself.

February 17, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Dawn

@Amanda: yes, Polizzi does sound Italian. Chile had significant European immigration at one time, including from Chile. This is true for much of South America.

February 17, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Jake M.

God Bless "America" America a good Italian Name...

February 17, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Bozemaster

I'd bag both of them

February 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Lora

I honestly hated the show 1st but after all the madness and how funny The Situation was, the show got me hooked. I still don't get why they came out with this show anyway. What was the point of the show? Does anybody know. And that's odd that Snooki and Jwow aren't italian but they keep claiming they are all guidos/guidettes. Are the rest italian? I WONDER if Ronnie and Sammy are still a couple?

February 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  127. christopher frierson (CRI)

i say we string them all up for not being exactly what we want them to be. That seemed to work fine in the south for years!

February 17, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Jill

Maybe they didn't sign up to be role models, but you can be sure there are plenty of 20 somethings wishing they could swap places with them because they think they're "awesome". They are trash pure and simple. I enjoy watching the show to see what I never aspired to be.

February 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Clark

Pretty much any country boasting them should be ashamed. Too bad it's America.

February 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Wayne Messer

Think before you speak. You're to funny!!!!! You're trying to be a intellect talking about an idiotic show based solely on narcissism.

How inane is that!!!!! The only ones who should be watching the show are the morons on it because they are only in love with themselves.

Yet people want to let no talent, boring, and only interested in their own self-promotion is beyond me.

February 17, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  131. windy

Not loving the show @ all. Very annoying

February 17, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Milore

I knew there was a reason I got rid of my cable years ago.

February 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Tommy

Sad that these clowns are given airtime and respect. Is it any wonder our country is in trouble.

February 17, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Lisa

As a 100% Italian-American woman from NJ, I'm happy to hear that they are neither... however, I also am happy to say I have yet to watch one single second of this garbage. A lot of the people who hate this show or criticize it seem to know an awful lot about what happens on it. I wouldn't know a single member of this cast if I fell on them. I don't know their names, what they look like (apart from the picture on this page which I will now forget) or anything else about them. MTV used to be the best channel and now it just poisons the minds of the masses.

February 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  135. JenLen

Dear Pierce,

The answer to all of the questions you posed regarding the idiots on Jersey Shore are the same: None. Zilch. Zero. Nada. They fake 'm baked their intellect away, and would probably try to turn any of the inspiring, intelligent things you mentioned in your comment into either a drinking game or a reason to sock someone. How sad....their parent's must be so proud.

February 17, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Don

1st the Gotti's and now this brain rot.

February 17, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  137. mike

Is it possible for Snooki NOT to give duck face?

February 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  138. bitnar

Oy Vey! I agree with Joel T. I want my MTV. Enough with the reality shows. And as for these comments, enough with the discussions on race, ethnicity and geography. We're all just people, after all. And everyone PLEASE stop making comments about their appearance; that was, is, and always will be RUDE. Get some MANNERS!

February 17, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Skers Stinks

(insert sarcastic tone here) This is truly the end of society.......if you can't trust MTV who can you??!!

February 17, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Tony

Actually, a fair number of Italian people immigrated to Chile. With their surnames.

February 17, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Andrea

I knew it all along-she doesn't even look Italian that Snooki!

February 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  142. John

There is no such race as Chilean. Chile is a country if immigrants. She is of Italian heritage but probably has parents from Chile. Geeze.

February 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  143. eric

Someone please put these 'people' to sleep.

February 17, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Kyle

I am now dumber for reading ths

February 17, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Jay Pointek

Last name "Farley", no big shock you're not Italian. "We're not trying to imitate or be Italians" Really? While I'm guessing none of these rocket scientists are big on Geography or World History how about the paint on the garage door? Just coincidentally looks just like an Italian flag?

Forget about guidette, let me give you ladies a real Italian word you can adopt for your lifetyle – Putan. Look it up.

February 17, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Maren Sullivan

Actually, "we're not even Italian" makes perfect sense. These girls are "posers" , i.e assuming an identity, rather than being themselves. And, if you are Spanish or Chilean, being Italian is actually a step-up – therefore, they are "posing" their way up!

How ironic!

February 17, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  147. oizydoizy

Their stupidity pays tribute to guido heritage.

February 17, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Peter

What? Someone lied in order to take advantage of an opportunity to make money? Unheard of this day and age.

February 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Kay

Snookers is Chilean AND Italian according to her Twitter page.

February 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Amy

whether they're Italian Spanish or whatever...it still comes down to the fact that they're ugly trash

February 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Laura

Actually, Snooki is adopted. Thats why her last name is Italian, but she's not.

February 17, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Dee

I agree with Niki and Paris....The show is a major waste of air time. I want music videos on at least one channel of MTV. Why do they put such trash on television? I don't care who is in their family tree ....I will never watch it. Someone please tell ET, Access, and Extra to stop interviewing those idiots.

February 17, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Ryan

Snookie is adopted I believe, hence the Italian last name.

February 17, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  154. votewithmoney

Oh crap. Part Irish? We'd rather not claim her, please.

February 17, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Nyarlathotep

And to think that this station, not so long ago, was the one that broke Nirvana to the mainstream.

The mighty have fallen ... and can't get up!

February 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  156. mary

they are not even from New Jersey!

February 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  157. oldbear60

Don't care if they are italian or not. I am , but not offended by its portrayal of Italians, I'm offended because its tasteless, tacky and without any value . PERIOD. Just like the majority of so called 'Reality" TV.

February 17, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Mary

This show and all these people are useless human beings. Can't even drag themselves off to work in the t shirt store such a tough job.
    Kick their lazy butts out and let them get a real job.
    USELESS

February 17, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  159. DNA

Thank you girls, for proving that no matter what your ethnic background, you can still be a skank.

February 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  160. sbm

Ethan at 3:49....If you're going to "try" to be intellectual and condescending....the word is "playwright," not playwrite.

February 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Amanda

I have never actually seen the show, because I refuse to lower my standards to their level. How is it that young women can go on tv with everything hanging out and that be accepted.
    I read an In Touch or something the other day about this Snooki pookie whatever her name is, apparently she spends 3 hours doing her hair!! Can anyone say pathetic??

February 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Simple

SIMPLE.....If you are offended by the show, think it's trash or don't like the people featured in it.....DON'T WATCH! IT'S VERY EASY TO CHANGE THE CHANNEL NOW A DAYS!

February 17, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Jane

I find this whole thing very disturbing due to the "influence" that this show is presenting to young teens/adults "wannabe's".. Take a look at Facebook to see much of the same. Additionally I think the attention that this show is being given, regardless of its popularity is unwarrented.

February 17, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Paris

Oh, pleaseeee why are people wasting their time with such stupid show? MTV we want the music videos back, don't waste your air time on that garbage!

February 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Paris

Oh, pleaseeee why are people wasting their time with such stupid show? MTV we want the music videos back, don't waste your air time on the bargage!

February 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Joel T.

I said it once and I will say it again....

Original fans of MTV unite!!!

Tell the morons at MTV that the stuff they are showing is nothing but crap!!!

Tell them we want the videos
    Tell them we want Head bangers ball
    Tell them we want Yo! MTV Raps
    Tell them we want MTV news
    Tell them we want the cool VJ's

But most importantly, tell those morons that
    WE WANT OUR MTV... BACK!!!

February 17, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Musicless TV

Wow, this whole time I thought they were Americans.

February 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  168. John

I am of Italian descent and I don't know of any girls that act like they do.. Most Italian girls and boys I might add are protected by their parents until they are 50 years old.. So I am not sure how they were raised, surely not Italian..

February 17, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  169. M.R. in L.A.

I never thought these walking eyesores were representative of all Italians...just representative of all people proud to live in Jersey.

February 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  170. RAD

Seriously I watched this show with my 23 year old son we basically made fun of them the entire time because they are a bunch of idiots. Of course now they are slightly famous idiots with $$ and slight fame. They are the trash that is called reality TV, You know the kardashians, the bachelor, John and Kate etc etc. they are buy no means ROLE models. If anything you should have your kids watch it and threaten to disown them if they turn out like these people.

Favorite moment when they get into a fight with some locals who don't like them hangin in their club and one idiot is yelling at them to go back to New Jersey.........Um hello you're in New Jersey.............

February 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  171. melina

You know, the US is not the only country in the world to have had immigration. There's plenty of other countries filled with them, especially in south america. So the fact that Snooki was born in Chile and is of italian heritage does not make her any less italian than someone born in the US with italian heritage.

February 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Jim B

....as if we Irish don't have it bad enough...a bunch of sexually repressed, poetry-mumbling, Guinness-guzzling gunrunners-and now this(!?!??!) Can MTV PLEASSSSE go back to doing music videos full time(OK, an occasional Beavis and Butthead rerun here and there...)

February 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  173. marshawn

great post neeq. dead on

February 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Niki

I want the real MTV, I don't mind some reality shows occasionally, I've enjoyed some of them. But what happened to MTV Raps, MTV Rocks, Headbangers Ball, the (VJ's) video jockeys??? Does anyone remember Liquid Television, it was great!!! The station name is Music Television, I think they CEO and President etc. need to remember that. I WANT MY MTV!!!

February 17, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  175. POD

My wife's family is 100% Italian.....and they refer to these people as 'Pasta Trash'

February 17, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  176. exJersey

It doesn't matter if they are called guitos etc...they are crude, dumb and boring and do typify too many 20 somethings on the shore. There is something particularlly sour about these personality types that dominate the
    jersey shore culture and that is1 reason so many have left for hopefully better places.

February 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  177. k-fed

So these girls will not be turning into dumpy, loud-mouthed, mustached women at the age of 30? Who will I date now?

February 17, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Terence

The problem I have with "Jersey Shore" is the basic premise that bad behavior can be "fun" and "cool", and that it is perfectly normal to act like these kids. Binge drinking, promiscuity, self-indulgence and stupidity are not qualities we need to romanticize. As a society we celebrate stupidity, look at the success of "Jackass". It's not hard to find a list of the kids that have died trying to duplicate stunts they saw in that pile of dung, but MTV takes no responsibility; "hey, we posted a warning before it aired" doesn't absolve you of the crime. So when all these little wannabe guidos and guidettes get pregnant, get STDs, enter rehab, destroy their families, or die in a fiery car crash..... what then? Only stupid people watch this show, as stupid people need stupidity to be entertained.

February 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Smurf's rights

Speaking as a Smurf American, let me just say that I am deeply offended by the behavior of Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi!

February 17, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Sean

If you don't like the show, dont watch. There are plenty of other networks out there. If you are worried about this show being a bad rolemodel for kids, don't let the kids watch it. Easy as that. If you can't control what your kids watch, there are other issues affecting your kids in negative ways and this show is nowhere near the top of that list of concerns.

February 17, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  181. tired of the trash

When are we going see a story on the people who give a damn about this trivial garbage? Can you feel your brains rotting out of your skulls, America?

February 17, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Angie

wow it seems like people just WANT to hate and complain about the littlest things. It is just a tv show about some kids living in the beach house for the summer, people act as if this is the most terrible thing to ever happen to tv, it's just like a different type of Real World! If you don't like it, don't watch it and don't go looking for articles to bash because it only makes you look immature.

February 17, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Craig

Come on, this topic is such a waste of time. Duh, if you are Italian and you see these 2 you can tell they are not Italian. Just because they have black hair they are Italian? Wow, all I have to say.

February 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Rupert

These people are to the north what rednecks are to us in the south. They are yankee rednecks. Just living to party, fight, mate, etc., contributing to society is optional.

February 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  185. h

Amazing how they all draw such attention, obviously it's well liked. People just can't admit it. Like watching a car accident

February 17, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Real Jersey

So, not only are they NOT from Jersey, they are not even Italian.... go figure. I do understand why Italians want nothing to do with them. The same way Jersey doesn't want to be associated with them either. It's not that I have never watched the show, I do get that it is mildly entertaining like some sort of comical train wreck... it's the fact that we don't want people to believe that this is an accurate portrayal. And clearly from reading comments here and elsewhere, people are ignorant enough to not know the difference between reality and MTV.

February 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  187. kay e

Hey Nick,

Maybe you can stop it with the DUH!! 's

You said: "That's kind of like saying, "My last name's Salazar but I'm not Spanish at all – I'm Mexican." <- IT WAS A SPANISH COLONY!!! "

Well, that person would be Mexican, if they were born in Mexico. How bout that?

A nationality is not the same as race. How about everyone stop freaking out about this stupidity? People don't watch the show to get a bird's eye view on modern Italian American life. They watch the show because these people are wild and crazy and sometimes that equals funny!

I am of a 'certain' background and there are plenty of shows that feature stereotypes of that particular background. I may watch those shows and roar with laughter because these people are not making fun of me, they're making losers out of themselves. And if someone is dumb enough to believe that the people on these shows represent an entire culture, then THOSE are the people you should have the beef with. Not a bunch on young adults that just wanted to be on TV.

February 17, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  188. ellen

Snookie looks abt 4 ft tall and has the body of a barrel, suck in that gut next time babe. Form fitting dresses are not for you. Bloated is a shape, when someone is 4 months pregnant. It's really gross.

February 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Meg

Snookie IS Italian Shes Sicilian and Chilean!! She said it on her twitter! and who cares anyway its not called ITALIAN SHORE!!

February 17, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • V

She's 100% from chile! not Sicilian at all! She's adopted by sicilians

September 25, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  190. Steve

I even heard that their breasts are fake! What???

February 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  191. bubba

The girls on jersey shore wouldn't get a second look in the south. And the dudes would get their butts kicked.

February 17, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • lindsay

@ bubba, im sure the girls on jersey shore wouldnt get looked at down south because all of the guys are into their toothless, trailer trash sisters!

June 16, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  192. roseick

Please bring back the music MTv....please

February 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  193. jzgirl

They aren't EVEN FROM New JERSEY! They are just the trash that comes to the shore and gives the state a bad name.

February 17, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  194. AP in Jersey

MTV, trash for the masses! What happened to the good old days when all they played was music videos?!? I did catch one episode of Jersey Shore, and was like, yeah, that's a typical weekend in Seaside at that age, whether you are a guidette or not! Made me laugh, but definitely not a fan, aiight?

February 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Ilene

The are from decendents who didn't like to wear pants or a supportive bra. They are cashing in-many way to still get paid for being a hoe.

February 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Harold Goldbergsteinmann

These fat broads are all disgusting. Dreadful skanks.

February 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Ji,m p

All the girls on this ridiculous show are pigs, especially the little gnome-looking freak. The guys are of the classic "douche-bag" community which is in existence in every state in the union. Can someone tell me why we're paying attention?

February 17, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Jessie

Snookie was adopted. Her last name is her Italian adoptive parents' last name. Snookie by birth is Chilean.

February 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  199. Sue

Ok, I don't get this at all. First, they are not from Jersey and now they're not Italian. What the heck?? They need to rename the show then. This is ridiculous. And now each cast member is getting $180,000 next season. I want to be put on the show – I'm not Italian or from Jersey either.

February 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • socca

This argument is so ridiculous. They never claimed to be Italian or from Jersey. It was a show based on the cast going to the JERSEY SHORE for the SUMMER!!!! They never tried to lie or say anything different, so where is all this coming from?!

September 20, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  200. Evan

Any true Italian can take one look at their faces and tell they are not Italian.

February 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  201. smart lady

These people belong on Jerry Springer and not MTV.

February 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Vivien

And people said they were giving Italians a bad name – good to know!!!

by the way, Robert DeNiro is only 1/4 Italian.

February 17, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Jon

This show is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It's another huge black eye on humanity.

February 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  204. barbwire

The sterotype was just as bad or worse on the Soprano's. What's the big deal.

There are other nationalities that are sterotyped everyday. If you don't like the show, don't watch it. All of these so called reality shows use the shock value to get ratings. all of the people who are offended are just fueling the fire and giving the kids, produceres and network exactly what they want. RATINGS

February 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  205. allanhowls

“It’s like the mafia – there’s the Russian mafia.”
    Oh, well, at least there's nothing derogatory to Italians about the maf...hey wait! "Jersey Shore" isn't insulting to Italians, it's insulting to people with brains and taste.

February 17, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  206. Barbara

Watched this show for 15 minutes once and had to turn it off!! It amazes me that anyone can be on a reality show now and people think this is entertainment????? Oh "think before you speak"....a lot of foreign countries ( also USA!!) have an Italian population. Even if this is Snookie's case, she does not in any way present the Italian culture....I think this is what people are trying to get across that's all.

February 17, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  207. ExMilMan

"...just trying to be ourselves."

It's SO comforting to know you're naturally that stupid and skanky and not acting or anything. Your parents must be so proud.

February 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  208. robert

if you ant to watch it then watch it, if you don't then don't. these are just a bunch of kids going to the shore for the summer and partying there butts off. good for them. make that money.

February 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  209. bhiggins306

this show truly represents the end of the world. 15 min of fame for total and absolute morons.

February 17, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  210. Ethan

And where did you attend college, Pierce? Garcia Lorca was a poet/playwrite, not an author. And Bukowsky? Did you mean Bukowski?

And I'm sure all the Kafka you've read made perfect sense to you and didn't go over your head in the slightest.

February 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  211. steve k

I am so excited to see another article with such vital information about the idiots from the show "The jersey Shore"…..they are such a interesting bunch of morons……I am amazed by their talents hahahahah

February 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  212. Matt

these cast members are laughing all the way to the ATM during their 15 minutes. A "fire" can't burn if it has no oxygen – and this "jersey shore" "fire" has been given so much room to breathe – no wonder it simply "won't go away". It is the car wreck on the side of the road that every rubber neck has to slow to gawk at. Just like imaginary friends, if you don't pay attention- they will simply disappear...

February 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  213. Real Italian

Can someone please just make them go away? Seriously, this is trash TV at its worst. And I agree with Brian L......I, too, remember the good ole days when MTV actually played music videos. Thank goodness for VH-1 Classics!

February 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  214. Think before you speak!!

Just for the edification of the bloggers: I am not going to call you out by name.

Chile actually has an Italian population, it's small but it has left it's Italian influence. One of the largest influences is in the proliferation of surnames amongst many Chileans. So not that I want to defend "Snookie", because I am sure based on her comment she probably isn't even aware of that factoid. I just wish people would do a little research before they make comments that display their level of ignorance. And that statement is meant for both unaware bloggers, and unaware reality personalities.

February 17, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  215. rob

Who cares? They are whatever they want to be. Whatever happened to just being human? Why is it a necessity to categorize? Watch the show if you want to, watch these kids if you want to (I watch, honestly, because some of the things they say I find hilarious, especially Pauly and Mike) and if not, move on. I find it odd that people will fixate and degrade or trash someone they don't know, judge them as if they are better than what they are talking about. Mom of three, obviously you watch these young adults, otherwise you would have no idea what they were about... If you don't like them, don't watch them, don't read articles that involve them. If you dislike Christianity or Buddhism, do you go to church or worship and study the principles and beliefs? Get off you proverbial soapbox and use your time to get behind things you do enjoy. John 8:7 "He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone at her."

February 17, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  216. laura

I miss the videos too. We were just talking about the late night metal shows and actually music on mtv, vh1 whatever. Never any music, is there?

February 17, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  217. Neeq

Mom of Three and every other critic, please chill. They were not and are not trying to be role models, hello, it is MTV, why are you or anyone else thinking role models come out of MTV. Why do people also assume if they're on a show, they have the role model persona put on them, and when it doesn't fit, they get bashed.

I have enough education to know they do not represent all Italians or their respective ethnic groups. I am Irish among other things, I represent myself, not other people of Irish descent, that would be the same if I were on television. I just do not understand people getting all bent out of shape. They do not give Italians a bad name, again, most educated people know a person represents them, not a whole race or ethnicity.

It was a stupid entertaining show, it was never made to be educational, it was not made to bring world peace, it was not made to be a beacon for the country's next role model.

If you do not like a show, don't watch it, turn the channel. If you are looking for role models or a representation of an ethnic group or race, try PBS.

February 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • ash

Couldn't of said it better.

July 26, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • J-Wookie

Actually Ash, you could HAVE said it better.

November 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snickers

i think youre reply was pretty much on point. people are being ignorant. i am half italian, and i could care less about how the cast of jersey shore act or react to anything. some of my family are normal, and some are not. you cannot view one person or 20 peoples way of life and say that just because they are all (or all claim to be) of the same ethnicity that that entire race is to be perceived that way. it is insane that people are so affected by this. the show was made to entertain people, which is what most tv shows are there for, not to make people believe that all italians act like this cast.

March 22, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  218. pierce

I'd like to know more about the jersey shore kids. What college did they attend? what is the last book they read? What kind of social-action conferences do they attend? What authors do they read, Kafka Bukowsky, Garcia-Lorca? What philosophy courses taken? A museum or modern dance peformance.
    Well, I am sure these are critical thinkers. We just need to know more about these kids.

February 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  219. Nick

If she's not an indian, she's of some form of European descent. Chile has no native Europeans, obviously. lol That's kind of like saying, "My last name's Salazar but I'm not Spanish at all - I'm Mexican." <- IT WAS A SPANISH COLONY!!! DUH!! Same here... tons of Italians in S. America, especially in Chile and Argentina.

February 17, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  220. Brian L.

I just miss the music videos. :(

February 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  221. 'Mats Fan

I give these kids credit for taking every advantage to make as much $ as possible during their 15 minutes.

February 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  222. Mrs. Shaver

I thought Snookie said in a previous episode that she was adopted and was 1/2 Spanish and 1/2 italian. Thats why she is so dark

February 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  223. D

Well said 'Mom of Three' – as long as someone else can "claim" them, it allllllll ok right? Its truly amazing how much this goofy little show has effected the masses.

February 17, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  224. Mom of Three

Well thank God. As if we needed another bad role model. My Italian family was nothing like this stupid trash. They were smart, hard-working, and wanted always to do better for themselves and their families. Where this hedonism and idiocy comes from is beyond me.

February 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  225. Amanda

What?? Snookie isn't Italian? Polizzi sure sounds Italian to me...not Chilean. I have to say, JWOWW, you're not that 'wow' babe.

February 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |