February 16th, 2010

Producer says James Cameron to write 'Avatar' novel

It was only a matter of time.

Think about a) how many fans have become completely absorbed in James Cameron's fictional world, some to the point of being depressed when the movie ends and b) how much money that movie has made.

The "Avatar" novel is a pretty clear next move, and it will mark James Cameron's debut as a novelist.

During an interview with MTV News, "Avatar" producer Jon Landau confirmed that Cameron will pen a prequel to "Avatar," focusing on the back story that they likely wouldn't have time to include in future films.

To be clear, Landau emphasized that this book will not be a novelization.

"There is a distinction," he said in the interview. "A novelization basically retells the story of the movie. Jim wants to write a novel that is a big, epic story that fills in a lot of things."

As a result, this work will "go into much more depth about all the stories that we didn't have time to deal with — like the schoolhouse and Sigourney [Weaver's character] teaching at the schoolhouse; Jake on Earth and his backstory and how he came here; [the death of] Tommy, Jake's brother; and Colonel Quaritch, how he ended up there and all that," Landau said.

It doesn't look like they're going to make "Avatar" fans wait long for it either - Landau said the novel could be out by the end of the year.

Filed under: Avatar • movies

« Previous entry
  1. JJjettrain

pretty to look at. I dont know if Cameron has what it takes to write an EPIC novel.

February 19, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mchanah

welll i think the success of the film is just by high tech. just watch AVATAR 2D and you will see the difference.

February 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CN

Jonathan–your argument is just as tired. OF COURSE there are no truly original stories anymore. But HOW you present your story makes a huge difference. Compare Pan's Labyrinth to Avatar. It's not even close in terms of writing or even visuals. Del Toro gave everything in Pan's Labyrinth his own spin (I dare you to find an "ogre"–anywhere–that even comes close to resembling the Faceless Man)–whereas everything in Avatar is just recycled visually from our own planet (the Na'vi are just walking blue cats!). Cameron has admitted as much.

There's nothing wrong with that, either, except we're presenting Avatar as the BEST there is (GG for BEST picture). That's where the backlash is coming from, it's NOT the best. It's not even close. I enjoyed it, but the fervor of Avatar fanatics is nothing less than ridiculous.

February 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eileen

I agree with Jon. In the early 1990's, an animated movie came out, called "Ferngully". When my daughters saw Avatar, they both wanted to see Ferngully again, so I purchased the DVD, and we watched it. While I agree that most story-lines are old, recycled, etc., I find that Avatar has a suspiciously similar storyline to the animated movie that came out prior to Mr. Cameron writing Avatar. Fairies & rainforests as opposed to cool blue creatures & another planet. Has anyone else seen Ferngully & if so, what is your impression of how similar the storylines are?

February 17, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jon

I paid $12 at a matinee to see this move. For that money I would expect at least something other than a tiresome rehashed story with a shiny new wrapper. The American public seems are so easily distracted with explsions and shiny things we forget to look at the substance of what we consume. In the meantime, James Cameron and the rest of Hollywood get filthy rich for a lack of originality.

February 16, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Donnie

Lets all go find some unobtainium.....

February 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Keith

Good plan. I'll buy it and I know a lot of people who will. The book will not only fill in the back-story but I'm betting that it will fill in some of the philosophy as well.

February 16, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

"Boring. Boring." When I say that, I kind of feel me being interesting, smart and whatever. Can you all smarta*s enjoy something simple and beautiful as Avatar and be less cynical?

February 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jason, Mesa AZ

I agree with Jonathan. I enjoyed the story. The movie really makes you feel like your there. On a beautiful unique planet. With some cool giant blue smurfs. Lol. 3-D is the future. Avatar in 3-D is just great. Thats how all movies should be shot.

February 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SK

Boring it wasn't. I'm not a big fan of his or generally of these types of films but- it. was. not. boring.

February 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jonathan

Okay, I've had enough. You brilliantly observant folks that keep saying the Avatar story wasn't novel need to realize that anyone with a brain that reads your drivel instantly thinks you a fool. There are NO original stories anymore; just new genres, characters, and mediums. Ever read any Shakespeare? How about scripts from plays that were around long before motion pictures? Guess what? SAME STORY OVER AND OVER AGAIN! Good grief, just stop trying to be so intellectual and enjoy something at face value for once.

February 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Whatever

really? seriously? i don't get it...the plot was basically reminiscent of Pocahontas and Tarzan...the visuals and special effects were cool...but that's about it. I understand that A LOT of people found it "life changing" and the movie is ridiculously successful but c'mon, the movie/story wasn't THAT good! The hype is being taken WAY too far now...

February 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jon

This means that he is going to write pocahontas? I think the book, like his movie, has already been done.

February 16, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Roxy

I loved the movie and i think this will be intersting

February 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Debra R

ususally it's the other way around

February 16, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Head Diva In Charge

I saw the movie, visually, it was cool. The story – dull, predictable, and silly. I can't see that the prequel would be any different if it was written by Cameron. Sorry James – with all the hard work you put into making this look cool, it came across as boring!

February 16, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |