February 16th, 2010

Christina Hendricks: Can we talk about something other than my body?

Christina Hendricks

When it comes to "Mad Men" actress Christina Hendricks, the conversation inevitably turns to the 34-year-old's curves, and she recently told New York Magazine that it, well, embarrasses her a bit.

“It kind of hurt my feelings at first,” she said in New York's Spring Fashion 2010 issue.

“Anytime someone talks about your figure constantly, you get nervous, you get really self-conscious," Hendricks explained. "I was working my butt off on the show, and then all anyone was talking about was my body!”

The talk escalated in January when the New York Times ran a quote from a stylist who called Hendricks "big," which perhaps by Hollywood standards she is.

"It might sound silly, but I didn’t realize I was so different. I was just oblivious. Sometimes I would go on an audition and someone would say something like, 'Girl, you’re refreshing!' That was it," she said.

Regardless of whether or not she's truly an entertainment anomaly, Hendricks would appreciate it if the conversation could turn away from her cup size and focus more on her acting.

"It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth,” she said. “Back when I was modeling, if someone said ‘I’m fasting,’ I would say, ‘Can’t we talk about something else?"

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Isaiah

Christina Hendricks is insanely beautiful. I loved her on Firefly and on Mad Men. I wish more "beautiful" women in Hollywood had figures like her's instead of the 12 year old boys bodies that Hollywood seems to be in love with, (Kate Hudson, Keira Knightley, etc.). Men love women who have curves like women.

February 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ffiisshh

Oh, c'mon.
    She is the most beautiful woman I've seen in decades. How can anyone in the press think she is big? I mean she is big in all the right places....I think that many people in Hollywood believe that a woman needs to be all ribs and stick-figures. Well, I can tell you that if you asked any red-blooded American male betwen 18 and 80, a voluptuous, porcelain-skin, red-head beats the average twiggy emaciated fashion model any day of the week. Anyway, she is a marvelous actress who needs to be seen in action to be appreciated.
    BTW: Check her out in the TV series "Firefly" as Safron...she was teriffic!

February 17, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dave

I'd WRECK that – she was hot on Firefly as well.
    She has the figure of the stars like Marilyn Monroe. Folks should appreciate that look instead of some chick who throws up for a living.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot – she really isnt BIG, aside from the top side, which would do nothing to turn me away on any given day.

February 17, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mshultz

I only wish I could be "heavy" like Christina Hendriks! And to Christina, you look great and I love your character on Mad Men. Keep up the great work!

February 17, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Katie

It's high time REAL women were portrayed on television and in the movies. Some are skinny, some are curvy, most don't have Barbie proportions. I just wish tv would stop showing working women wearing low cut outfits that expose so much cleavage. Since when is that professional? I see teenagers sporting that slut look all the time and I want to tell them to take a little more pride in themselves instead of letting it all hang out there like that. And don't call me jealous – I could easily sport that look, but I am not a streetwalker. I would prefer people look me in the eye instead of the chest, and take me seriously as a professional women.

February 17, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sara

I love her! She always plays great characters and plays them well. I'm frankly tired of hearing about her body, too. She's gorgeous, true, but seriously? Can we move on?

February 17, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Twinko

Hey, who took my Twinkies??

February 17, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. Heidi

Wow, if that's "big" and unattractive somehow, where do I sign up??? Sheesh!!!! I'd be psyched to look like her!

February 17, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tiffany

She is amazing.....but anytime someone constantly comment on a woman's size it will began to get on their nerves. She prefer to complimented on what she does for a living or other things. She is so beautiful. That would be nice to hear.

February 17, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dad-guy

As a dad, and granddad of three very beautiful women (one a 7 yr old girl); I find the article appaling in it's characterization of Hendricks. She's absolutely "perfect" as most women are! The aneorexic waifs populating Hollywood, are not, nor are the extremely obese, Big-Mac chomping women, but not for the reasons you may think. For one reason, and ONE reason only, it's because both extremes are "unhealthy!!"

Until we stop putting women in a seperate weight class category, as if theiy're prize fighters and judge only on one condition; that being healthy, women will always be stigmatized and traumatized.

We see this in the political arena, though miles apart philosophically, smart & saavy political women such as Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Nancy Pelosi and the Michelle's; Bachmann & Obama, are always criticised about their weight and/or appearance. The only political women who I never saw criticised was Professor Condolezza Rice!

America, we have to stop this, because these women and our country will not ever get the benefit of their contributory knowledge and political experience if we continually compare them againist an unacheivable standard.

February 17, 2010 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. D. Poniatowski

I agree with other posters and most men I know, I love curvy women. I'm not sure how skinny chicks came to rule the world, but for me a woman without curves might as well be a boy.

February 17, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Karen

She's thin, her breasts are naturally large (wow, naturally large mammaries. Now there's an anomaly...). She's very thin, small arms, waist and hips.

People, are you really not able to assess that on your own? What a strange idea, but very common: Some gay dude in Hollywood says it, so it must be true.

Seriously, you can see things for yourself. All by yourself.

February 17, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Get over it

Oh come on. We are all critical of celebrities. Look everyone makes fun of Bruce WIllis for being bald, Tom Cruise for being short, Jay Leno for having a long chin however, you don't here them complain and whine about it. They take it in stride and move on.

February 17, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tracy

Whoever made 'big' comments about her are CRAZY...I'd kill to look like that!

February 17, 2010 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. deepwater

Christina Hendricks=babelicious=perfect

February 17, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. wreekee

Christina Hendricks is one gorgeous woman. Not all men prefer the Holliwood Slim! She has a beautiful face and dangerously attractive curves. I wish she could get more Movie projects and TV shows. More power to her.

February 17, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  17. Marc_3066

Look back at the early Starlets of Hollywood, today they would be "big". Maybe the term Volumpteous should be used. At least she doesn't look like she needs a burger jammed down gullet to put some meat on her bones.

February 17, 2010 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  18. Wanda

Back in the day, actresses with a little body fat were acceptable. But now Marilyn Monroe would be considered too beefy. Probably in the future, all actors/actresses will be CGI figures anyway, so why get worked up over weight and size anymore.

February 17, 2010 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  19. Paul

Boy is she in the wrong business!  For those who read my comment (and you know who you are) and go off on a diatribe of endless conversation about how dare they insult her and Hollywood is so negative of plus size women, and blah, blah, blah… DON’T! We all have an opinion about weight, but the bottom line is Hollywood is often pathetic in their approach, and yes the messages are often wrong for young woman. However, it’s Hollywood, so my recommendation to Christina Hendricks is, stay and change the status quo or develop thick/thicker skin, because Hollywood’s stance on weight is not going to change, and if and when it does, it’s going to be slow, draining and still a shallow process.

Thick women are gorgeous. I hope all are healthy. Many of us get trapped into thinking, “if you can eat it, I can too.” No! No! No! Know your body and disease type.

February 17, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jordan

She's phenomenal as Joan on Mad Men.

February 17, 2010 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  21. Nae1976

Wow! There used to be more actresses like her in the 50s (think Marilyn Monroe who ALSO had curves) and it's a really sexy look, MUCH better than the waifs they are trying to put across as hot. Ridiculous that they classify her as fat.

February 17, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  22. Timothy Raybon

She is beautiful just the way God made her. If anyone doesn't like the way she looks. they can simply turn away or turn the channel.That what is wrong with our country today. We're more concerned with the way a person looks on the outside, than what's on the inside.If people don't make something a issue (like the size of a woman), then it's not a issue.Love comes from the heart.

February 17, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  23. Alice

I think she's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

February 17, 2010 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  24. Chuck67

I believe that she is not only the hottest lady on the show, the is also the fulcrum of common sense. I hope that her character finds success with the company. I just love to watch her on screen. Thanks for being there.

February 17, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  25. Erik

Why is everyone like "it's just a media ploy. she knows what she's doing and how she's dressing,"???

She was doing an INTERVIEW and expressed her feelings! I guess whenever celebrities have feelings, they are media ploys

Get over yourselves!

And Christina.....you=gorgeous! I know you will never read this or no who I am...but I thought I'd send you some positive thoughts :)

February 17, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. Rumpleteaser

Christina, you are absolutely gorgeous. Your husband is one astronomically lucky man.

February 17, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  27. Steven T

I love her

February 17, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  28. Danni

I personally think she is one of the sexiest actresses on TV today. BE PROUD OF YOUR CURVES! I love MadMen and you are definitely an asset to the show!

February 17, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jorge

I dont get it, why would you want all this attention and be famous and then turn around and say something like that.

February 17, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  30. Kim

She is beautiful just the way she is. Sorry Hollywood we are sick of the size 0. They starve themselves so we can see every bone in their body and they look sick not healthy. At least they gave Jessica Simpson the day off from being bullied about weight, and she looks great. Too bad
    there are more important things to talk about.

February 17, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. Erik

I guess this is why Christina Ricci is anorexic now. Hollywood pressured her into it. Hopefully, Christina Hendricks doesn't follow in Christina Ricci's footsteps and becomes anorexic too. That would be a shame.

February 17, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  32. Erik

Weird! I guess hollywood is full of gay people who like their women that look like 16 year old boys. She is actually one of the few actresses who I think looks like a woman and has a beautiful body. Most other hollywood women look anorexic, unattractive, and fake, kind of like Megan Fox. Oh wells. I guess hollywood will never change. Too bad, I'm tired of all these other actresses.

February 17, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  33. becks

I am a big chested woman and hate when people say " If you don't want the attention then cover yourself up"....I can wear the same blouse as a smaller chested woman but I get beat up about it...just because your boobs are big doesnt mean you have to wear a potato sack when your out...she looks GREAT! Big, medium, small....show 'em off!!!

February 17, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  34. Patrick

She really should just embrace her beauty, rather than let on that she's bothered by idiots. there are idiots everywhere. especially in hollywood. and when you are on a hit show and you happen to be one of the interesting characters who just so happens to be breathtaking? take it in stride, Christina. btw, you were great in Firefly too.

February 17, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jake

She is smoking HOT!! Most men like curves on a girl. We guys are SO tired of all the actresses with teenage boy bodies! Give us real women with boobs and curves!
    Jake

February 16, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Eric Nicolas

Let the skeletal waifs like Aniston and Jolie take note: this is a beautiful woman – when she moves she MOVES.

Never have seen the show....

February 16, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Kelly Frances

She is so beautiful, I can't imagine anyone NOT talking about her body. I'm an actress in Asia, and it (acting) is a business for being dissected. I am a former model, and now I'm in a field where one must fit the bill in a physical sense, exhibit voice control, breathing technique, and many skills that models generally don't have to possess. All of it is very hard and I wish people stopped and said, "goodness she's got beautiful technique' more often. The reality is, many actors DO get parts for being hotties. Talent seems to come second, with exceptions and isn't the thing that turns up in tabloids. She is allowed to comment on the shallow nature of the industry but I expect her agent is damn grateful for those curves. I find her stunning.

February 16, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Big Dawg 69

She certainly is BIG
    Beautiful
    Intoxicating
    Gorgeous
    I would take her over a bus load of those anorexic Calista Flockhart types. I feel sorry for the real thin ones–they have been brainwashed.
    Back in the day, the real women had substance–Marilyn, Gina, Sophia–ah for the good old days when women were women and men were glad.

February 16, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Barbara

She is a beautiful role model for our daughters. Not everyone wants to be a size 0.

February 16, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mike

"Thick women are gorgeous."

They are real women.

The toothpick models are sickly looking and disgusting.

February 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  41. PotteryGirl

She's incredibly beautiful. Look at that face! She's not chubby at all. Is she even a size 8? She's incredible looking.

February 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mike

Maybe the fashion industry will someday ask guys what is cute.
    Christina Hendricks is cute way and above any of the stick insects infecting our media, tabloids, magazine covers and runways.

February 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  43. guest

Does it really mater? you are who are. I find comments like that to be sexist

February 16, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Lorraine

She's darling. And what's so new and different about big, beautiful women in Hollywood? Jane Russell, Mae West, Marilyn Monroe (she was no light-weight), Shelley Winters. Come on, people, the world's full of larger sized women, and many of them are beautiful, inside and out. Time to start appreciating real women and true beauty!

February 16, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Matt

Christina is so hot!! I love her body!!! Love it! It's amazing.

February 16, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Peregrine

Is she a nursing mother? If she is, then she should not be criticized and will get slimmer when she weans her infant.

February 16, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Peregrine

She dresses to attract attention and comments. She is proud of her huge bosom and enjoys showing it; by protesting she just gets more publicity..

February 16, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Roar

Wow, a real woman instead of a skeleton or a clothes hanger from Hollywood!

February 16, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Bill

This woman is a knock out.

February 16, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Maeve

She's not "big" by any stretch of the imagination; she's busty, yes, but she's very healthy-looking. I'm just disappointed she isn't a natural redhead.

February 16, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  51. bart

First saw her in the Firefly series and was immediately smitten. She is so gorgeously curvy and provides a refreshing change to all those anorexic women out there.

February 16, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Norman bloom

I think that Christina Hendricks is a very beautiful woman I have seen on TV.
    She knows how to dress up in Mad Men. I wish I could see this in all women like when I was younger in the 60's.
    I am sure there is a lot of problems one has to face in this business.
    She looks graet in a pair of nylons and high hels to me.
    keep it up Christina. I want to see more of you.
    Norman Bloom.............

February 16, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • lawlady

Normie you are such a creeeeepy pervert. Now we have evidence of your creepyness and ideas about all women (including young women) who would never have anything to do with you (but you keep on tryin).

February 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Caroline

When I see Christina Hendricks, all I think is BOOBS and I'm a girl. Imagine what guys are thinking... Not good, Christina. Get a reduction if you dont like the attention!

February 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Dutch46

I'm not by nature a chubby chaser, but if Ms. Hendricks ever comes to my house, she'd better wear track shoes. As most Hollywood actresses are built like Bugs Bunny with B-cups, I soooo appreciate women like Christina Hendriks.

February 16, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  55. BellaItaly

What is wrong in this country? She is a beauty. Get off this woman's case. She not even thick, chunky, heavy, fat or whatever. Personally I think what you see on the runways to are downright skinny, unhealthy looking young women who are damn hungry. When are women going to push back on these men?

February 16, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Perilous

People think this woman is fat? Seriously? For real?

Christina Hendricks is not fat by any stretch of the imagination. This woman is stunning, and as an actor she should be judged not by her looks but by her acting ability, as male actors are. Any other criteria is nothing but sexism, whether or not you want to accept or admit it.

If you are one of the people who thinks she is, seek help immediately. You are very, very sick.

This fat-bashing mania is out of control and it must stop. The true obesity epidemic is not the weight of the average person but the hatred and vitriol shown to them by people who apparently consider themselves perfect in every way. Got news for you: I'd rather be fat than a mean-spirited Neanderthal.

February 16, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  57. JJumbo

When she was on Beggars and Choosers ten years ago, she was just another skinny redhead with a large bust that no one noticed. Now she's a voluptuous, curvy, talented actress that all the harpies in the "fashion" world want to tear down. Typical of today's society.

February 16, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Stephanie Jeffery

"Nice to see someone who isn't interested in being the prettiest girl at the party"? Have you ever actually SEEN "Mad Men? (Have you ever really looked at this actress? Sheesh...what does it take?) I'm not sure how old some of the commenters are here (I am 38), but even I am aware that during the 1950s-60s, curvy, voluptuous, and–yes, my god–even women with a little body fat were considered sexy, without question or debate. Marilyn Monroe was a size 14, which is plus-size today, for example. So, I wonder, what does the "prettiest girl at the party" look like? What are those requirements?

February 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  59. ROB L

I THINK SHE IS SUPER SMOKING HOT.... A REAL WOMAN...

February 16, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  60. luvlar

Come on... A woman's whole life is about what she can get with her body. Don't tell me she's upset with all of this. By the time a girl gets her first bikini and grows a set she's thinking how to use it to get something. That's just the female mentality.

February 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  61. wnsumner

I think she's beautiful! She's what a woman should look like, curvy. Not like these anorexic twigs who look like 10 year old boys with boob implants! Don't listen to the Hollywood snobs Christina-you're absolutely beautiful, and all of Hollywood's women should look like you, not the other way around! Love her in Firefly too!

February 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Brandon

I just don't get it. Christina Hendricks is absolutely gorgeous. She is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. She is not fat by any means, and yes, I did see the picture and dress that they were talking about. She looked stunning. She is a knock-out. I can't say enough about how beautiful and sexy she is. This whole anorexic, raw diet, look-at-my-rib-bones idea in Hollywood was played out before it even started. And no, I'm not a skinny-hater. I still think Kate Moss was gorgeous during the waif period of her career and she is still beautiful now that she breasts. I don't really see how any of these "fashion critics" can say Christina looked fat, and who decided it was their place to comment on whether someone looked overweight anyway. Stephen Coco Jerblah and all the rest need to disappear off of the face of the earth. They are unnecessary at best.

February 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Theresa

Christina Hendricks is a revelation. That's all anybody needs to know about her!!!

February 16, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jeepers

It's so much more about confidence than measurements. She is just sexy.

February 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  65. JLeigh

Since when does size have anything to do with acting ability?

February 16, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Rick

I love her character in Mad Men – and it has nothing to do with her appearance. I think she does an outstanding job.

February 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Boosmom

Christina is amazing!! I've been watching her since Firefly. Great acting, and the best character on Mad Men. And she is gorgeous. You go girl!!

February 16, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  68. JJ Arnold

First caught her on Serenity, she's was stunning then and is even more so now.

February 16, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  69. deedee

This is the wrong business to be in to be embarrased when your body is talked about. And if you are that self conscious (although you need not be). But you cant wear a dress like THAT and not expect your curves to be talked about.

February 16, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  70. ronda

I think she's a gorgeous Woman. It's refreshing to see a Woman who is not even focused on her body but on the actual work she's paid to do which is ACT. There are many definitions and interpretations of sexy thank goodness!!

February 16, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  71. ahk, beverly hills, ca

Christina Hendricks is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood or anywhere. People today have no frame of reference, but this is what women used to look like... or used to wish they could look like.

February 16, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Ann

She is one hot women and a talented actress. So what if she weights more than 90 pounds. She is a "real" representation of a curvy woman.

February 16, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  73. LL

I agree with Amanda (@ Debra). I think it's interesting that the only negative comments are coming from the women.

February 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  74. JonC

The majority of men do like the stick figure chicks. And I know that the ads make it rough on women about body image. But I think I can speak for most men in saying that curves are much sexier than a stick chick. She is very pretty and the red works well for her. There is nothing for her to be self concious about. She should be proud. remember, it wasn't that long ago every woman with an extra $15 grand was getting a jLo butt.

February 16, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Charles W.

What is wrong with her? Our culture is sick and perverted when people say a size 4 is to big. But the sexualization of our society comes from Hollywood..so they have only themselves to blame and we the public allow it to continue by paying to see these disgusting films.. And the sexualization of children is even worse...pretty soon pedohiles will be wanting to be treated with rights. It is coming to that I guarentee you. "When Rome fell....."

February 16, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. laurie

She's so funny. LOL. Her size double F boobs are always on display and she's a size 8 and she says they're calling her a "big" woman. Perhaps some of her hair color went all the way through. I'm sure they're referring to her ever growing chest. She's beautiful. She knows it. She flaunts it and tables herself every chance she gets and then has the nerve to say "can't we talk about something else"? Perhaps she should have thought about that before she bought her inflatables (yes, they are fake). Does she honestly think anyone in Hollywood is interested in anything other than her boobs and body? Own it, woman, and use it to your advantage!

February 16, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Shy

I wish the women of this world would see things more like you guys making comments instead they think being rail thin makes you pretty no matter how ugly you are.

February 16, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Brian

She's not big, shes HOT!! Wow!

February 16, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Rob B

Curvy Girls RULE!!

She's gorgeous...

February 16, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  80. brent

She 's not big, the world is just a little small. (minded)

February 16, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Rusty Shackleford

Babe, you have big boobs and we're gonna look at them.

Accept it.

February 16, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Steve

This is what an attractive WOMAN looks like, not a 12 year old with the arse of a 12 year old boy

February 16, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  83. thefact

She has nothing to worry about. Nobody will care about her body when she turns 40. Sorry, but it's the truth.

February 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  84. tbone

She is thicker than snickers!

February 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Denizen Kate

I understand Christina's angst. Our standard of beauty could use a major overhaul. Women and girls in our society are litterally dying in an effort to become thin enough to pass as beautiful. Hollywood and the fashion world would have us all be size 0. Ms. Hendricks stands out in a crowd of Hollywood stick people. Also, if she were a man, no one would comment on his size!

February 16, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Vic

Curvy, full-figured women are not only what we see in real life on a daily basis but also one of God's greatest gift to Man! I've turned the channel plenty of times because I got tired of looking at a woman who looks like the only thing she ate all day was a crouton. I've never understood men who are attracted to women who look like thin boys. Christina, Do your thing girl!

February 16, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Matt

I like Christina H, but I think she needs to remember what town she works in. People will always talk about what they perceive made an actress successful. If it were really JUST her acting talent that made her successful, she might have a point. But even if she were the best actress in the world, she never would have been successful if she were ugly or had a body NOT worth noticing. I ain't saying it's right, just a fact.

February 16, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Robert

Only watched the show a few times. Wasn't impressed by anyone. She is probably just a typical actress in television today. Looks nice, but has limited real talent

February 16, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  89. joco, NH

Beautiful – that is the only thing she is. If she had fifty pounds on her she would still be gorgeous. Look at that face and she is all curves. Truly a woman in every feminine way.

February 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  90. hannah

She's a beautiful woman, but the truth is, the dress was hideous and did nothing to flatter her.

That's the truth.

February 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Su

She's an amazing actress, her work on Mad Men is simply excellent. AND she's absolutely beautiful. I don't know how anyone can think she's not attractive. Her body is "normal," and more importantly "real," not stick thin or accented by plastic surgery. And yet, she's gorgeous. For years, the media and Hollywood in particular has portrayed the female "ideal" as overly emaciated and emphasized by air brushing or plastic surgery. That image needs to change. And I think Christina Hendricks (like Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, and others) is by far more beautiful than any stick thin model with implants. Not to mention, she's extremely talented.

February 16, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Nathan Sokalski

I will admit that I think making the topic of every conversation someone's body, but unfortunately it's something a lot of people do. If this is something you can't handle, then you shouldn't have a career in a business where people will be talking about you. She should have know this would be a possibility when she went into the business, it doesn't take a genius.

February 16, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  93. miriam

She is absolutely gorgeous in a classy way. Stunning!

February 16, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  94. mommy67

thank you sushi!

February 16, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  95. EJ

She actually looks like a woman – not a stick. Nice for a change to have someone look "normal" instead of emaciated.

February 16, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Str8 outta TX

excuse me... having, not heving.
    sorry for being a dumbass

February 16, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Scott

Wow......I've never seen Madmen.....but I'm totally going to watch it now. She is absolutely gorgoeous.

February 16, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Kyle

She should be glad she's where she's at an not working at Wal-mart. Yeah, she's big (borderline fat) and not that attractive...count your blessings and have another Big Mac.

February 16, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Elise

To Daniel L-

Are there more men like you?! I have found that most men are so shallow and if they would ONLY get to know someone's heart and character, they wouldn't even see the "thickness" some of us women have. Speaking of "thick", I think most guys have thick skulls and I wish there would more Daniel L's in this world.

February 16, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Head Diva In Charge

I find it funny that the "angry" comments like "get over it" and "so what" are mostly made by women. Women are jealous creatures.......
    Yes, there are negative comments from men, but we all know what that is about.....they don't like what they can't have.

February 16, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Str8 outta TX

ladies and gentlemen...
    i'm back and now im wondering when being thick was a bad thing? most men that i know will agree with me for sure that she is sexy. but i guess it is a good thing she isn't the type to put herself out there just to get attention. Unless of course she knew that if she said some shit like this it would only intensify the "compliments" by heving people blog about it. lol

February 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  102. steven

huh, whaaat? I have what? NOOO!

February 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  103. marble

wazzap hell yea she thick but fuck it she got some big ass tities wazzap hit a vato up bak to dat 310 6377540 we at compton da big n bad hub city

February 16, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Travis

I agree with another commenter, all her photos on Google image show her wearing low-cut dresses, she knows she has big breast and a thick body – she flaunts it. This is just a publicity story.

February 16, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  105. sushi

I'd much rather look at her fuller body than those overly muscular women with six pack abs. It's one thing to be toned and fit and another thing to lose all feminity by looking too muscular.

February 16, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Jamie

Anyone who saw the 'Mad Men' episode where you play the accordion and sing in French know you are absolutely amazing. She is definitely a talented actress and crafted herself a great role as our beloved Joan!!! All the other stuff is just hot air and wasted ink!!!

February 16, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Martin

Marilyn, Sophia, Liz were all big girls , and we loved them. Stay the way you are.

February 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Diva

So she's curvy & people are talking about it....now she's embarrassed...whatever.

February 16, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Bertucci

She is voluptuous, what is sexy about a woman made of sticks... she has a beautiful face with voluptious breast, ass and thighs..l. now would anyone find her or some other really skinny celebrity if the saw them on the street!!! CNN you are downgraded for putting this story out there... Ms. Hendricks if i see ya on the street, be prepared for a confidence boosting event ;P

February 16, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  110. John

And if she had small breasts, she would be getting a boob job.
    Get real girl...

February 16, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Bill

You people kill me.....do you really think she had no idea people were looking at her because of the size of her bust......take a moment and Google her name for Images, everything this woman wears makes her chest look HUGE.....she is fully aware and another Hollywood media hound......this story is a joke, just like much of what is being put on CNN as news lately.

February 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  112. alumette

She is voluptuous....so what? she is pretty and "refreshing". Hope those boobs are really hers. Who knows?

February 16, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Sam

Shes not even that big. Anyone see her in firefly. She was tiny. SHe put on a little weight. But not a Big women by anymeans.

February 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Julie

I think she is beautiful AND a wonderful actress. It's funny that every time an actress is "heralded" for being curvy or a normal weight in Hollywood, they go on a diet and become stick thin like everyone else in the biz. Examples: Marysol Castro and now Sara Rue who is spokesperson for Jenny Craig. My prediction is Christina will also slim down during the next season. What a shame!

February 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  115. tallgirl

If she really doesn't wall all the attention, then why is she always pushing those things our faces? Cover that up, or stop complaining about all the talk. Just another Hollywood liar.

February 16, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Debra R

Re: B & Amanda: I am a big woman myself, so I understand what she is saying. What I am saying is that if she cannot take all that goes with acting she might be more comfortable behind the scenes....

February 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  117. ben jackson

Not to worry darlin'.....You are beautiful. And talented.
    Ignore the talentless bags of bones.

February 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  118. siesie

I actually think she is very beautiful and there needs to be more curvy women in the business. I am tired of looking at people you wanna give a gift certificate mcdonalds so they can eat. I think she is a wonderful actress.

February 16, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  119. BlkCstand

She's gorgeous and a talented actress. Whatever happened to America's voluptuous appeal to actresses like Sophia Loren and Monica Bellucci? Give me a break....the brothas don't mind.

February 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  120. mommy67

It is insane we are even discussing this! She is drop dead gorgeous and epitomizes feminity (imho). Arent there more important things in the world to focus on than some acrtress's dress size?

February 16, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  121. men

OMG!. are those tits for real?. I would've loved to hold them for 2 seconds

February 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Roxy

Well i think she should stop complainin.. She new what she was gettin into when she got in this business.. and if you dont want ppl talking about you then cover yourself up...Atleast a little ok...Think she needs to stop complaining This is what happens in Hollywood you get Judged.....

February 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Tom

OK to be big, OK to be getting bigger, and she is. But if you are on a big show, and getting bigger, you will get bigger attention. Have another Twinkie and suck it up.

February 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  124. HealthBreeze

...but she IS the prettiest girl at the party! Her face is luminous and amazing! Her curves work very well for her! She is a big fan favorite who gets tons of Google hits. Christina Hendricks needs no one to make apologies for her. It is some sort of media neurosis to try to make a storyline out of presumptions that she have fashion model measurements, instead of a sexy-actress-playing-a-1960's-vamp measurements. Sheesh!

February 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Hockey Mom

If she didn't want people talking – then she should have worn a dress that fit!

February 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Willow

Women are SUPPOSED to have curves, not look like 12-year-old boys! I think Christina is one of the sexiest women on television right now!

February 16, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Whatever

If she is so "uncomfortable" with people talking about her body then why does she always flaunt off her body the way she does? i mean, if you got it, show it, but don't then complain that everyone looks at you for your body. it's just hypocritical not to mention just plain ridiculous. i think she looks fine and she is a good actor, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. if you don't want people to look at you for your body, then stop wearing outfits that show off your junk and dress in something more modest, it's that simple.

February 16, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Roxy

I def agree with Bonnie she new what kind of stuff she was in for when she got into this business... If you dont want ppl talking about you then cover yourself up.. Atleast a little bit ok...Stop complaing cause its your fault there talking anyway

February 16, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  129. queenie

She is THE ONLY REASON I watch the show! And I'm a woman!

She lights up the show and steals absolutely every scene with her luminous, luscious beauty.

February 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  130. ssmith

I can't believe this person is whinning! Get a clue! If you didn't want to be known for your body you wouldn't be wearing dresses that leave your chest hanging out.

February 16, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  131. AAW

When did curves ever go "out of style"? The top selling single magazine issue every year is the SI swimsuit issue. Anyone ever see a music video...Baywatch was the number show on the planet for a decade, no stick figures on that cast. People talk about her likes she's an oddity...she's the hot girl we've never stopped looking at. Just so happens she's also a great actress.

February 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  132. jj

Oh Pleez The woman is drop dead gorgeous and no man would hesitate to call her sexy. We woman need to look at ourselves with more kindness.

February 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Amanda

@Debra
    Or maybe it's people with your kind of attitude that make women have a self-image issue. She's perfectly right in saying that people should focus on her acting and not her body (which is much more 'normal' than most). Good for her.

February 16, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Robert

The true shame of this is that she is a tremendous actor, much like everyone else on the show.

February 16, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  135. B

Yeah, Debra R. That's the attitude to have. It's HER that should change, not the business, clearly. Her fault for not knowing that she had to starve herself or be called "big."

February 16, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Sterling SHA

I love her! She is excellent on Mad Men. And I think she is really beautiful and one of the sexiest women out there in Hollywood.

And I hope she remains in front of the camera for many more years

February 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  137. M McAdams

While I understand her feeling self-conscience, I find it hard to be sympathetic. Realistically, actors get parts because of how they look, not just how well they act. How many ugly or fat women get a good role like hers? The best thing she can do is reinforce the idea that women should be confident in their own skin, regardless of shape. She should take it with a grain of salt, enjoy the exposure because it won't be there forever. It may not even last past the show's run. She's lucky to be working.

February 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Bonnie

If it's something that makes her uncomfortable, then maybe she needs not flaunt it the way she does. She has to understand people will talk when you where a dress that hangs everything out and if you are well-endowed, there will be talk.

February 16, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Jack P

She has one awesome body!.... Not like the ugly twigs they parade around for the SI Swimsuit issue, etc.

February 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  140. JB

So she is curvy and voluptuous. As a blackman, i've seen these type of ladies all my life and wondered why did not have more of them on Television, black, white, asian or whatever. It is nice to see a woman with curves and nice symettrey, instead of a super skinny woman with breats. Bravo to sexy Christina. But at the same time let's stop acting like it's something new. Christina needs to understand the environment she's in and press forward.

February 16, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Thos

She's gorgeous, she has nothing to be embarrassed about.

February 16, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Some Guy

Christina Hendericks is a beautifu woman and these critics and standards of beauty that label her as being "big" and force the majority of women in this country to feel so insecure about how they look and who they are, are both disgusting and ridiculous.

February 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Conny Van Dyke

Ahhh, that IS a problem. But some day, when you are 64, you will wonder what happened to the compliments and be glad to have the memories...if you don't have a memory problem by then.

February 16, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Daniel L

Thick women are gorgeous.

February 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Adam

I think its nice to see someone in Hollywood who isn't interested in being the prettiest girl at the party.

February 16, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Beth L

I think she is amazing! She is so poised, sassy and sexy on Mad Men and by far the most appealing woman on that show. I am a fan!

February 16, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Debra R

Boy is she in the wrong business.... maybe she should go behind the scenes....

February 16, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |