February 16th, 2010

Carly Simon's "vanity" project

Carly Simon released her classic pop/rock song "You're So Vain (Clouds in My Coffee)" back in 1972, well before the days of music videos. Well, she's decided it's finally time to put pictures to the music, and she wants your help.

Through a press release, she invited "fans and filmmakers" to create a music video for the song. She'll judge the entries herself. The winning video will be screened at the Tribeca Film Festival in April, the press release promises. It will also play on AOL Music's spinner.com.

There's always been a lot of mystery about the rakish, conceited character Simon refers to in the song, who "had me several years ago, when I was still quite naive." She's never publicly revealed who it was. Most of the speculation has centered on Warren Beatty or Mick Jagger (my money's on Warren).

If you direct a video you can insert anyone you want into the role of the mystery man.

The video contest is designed to promote Simon's latest album, "Never Been Gone", which includes a new version of "You're So Vain".

1. Str8 Outta TX

my bad newsreader and tony...
    thought i had to make a point. cant afford to be a punk in today's society.

Right?

February 18, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. SusaLis

Wow, she must be bored! This is a near 40 year old song – perhaps in a world where no-one holds back, she thinks this project will work but I don't think so.
    I like the song but the 'secret' part is so played out. Who cares? Whoever it is is probably in their 70s now so the big reveal would be a big let down (if she ever chooses to). I think it's sad that she's clinging on to this 'secret' schtick for so long. She has done a lot of great things since and to revert back to 40 year old rumors is a bit sad. As someone said, doing this 30 years ago would have been fun. Now it's just grasping to relive a life had four decades ago. It's not like everyone is going to gasp WOW! when they find out and if she never tells, so what? It's not she'll go to her grave with the secrets to life with her. The 'secret' is nothing more than singing about a guy she banged 40 years ago who dumped her. And contrary to what people think, the secret is very much why she's doing this, rather that finally getting to do a video (she could have done that 25 years ago) – this song would be just one of thousands of 70s songs had she not engineered and encouraged the innuendos for so long.

February 18, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. RennTiki

Song is brilliant, melodic, and haunting. If you can't hum it you are either tone deaf, thick as two planks... or both! Carly is S-E-X-Y as ANY woman's EVER been and still going STRONG!

Mick Jagger does in fact sing backup vocals on the song. The age of the subject of said song is as irrelevant as the style of the song is timeless: It's just a good song that is dripping with atmosphere and mystery well played, performed, and recorded. The fact that the subject is now old may have NO bearing whatsoever on that person's purported vanity: The subject's vanity may very well be of the intellectual variety... a type which needn't be diminished by the mere passing of years.

Viva Carly, her talent, her hotness, and that she's found an engaging way of keeping the song alive for current generations who could stand to learn a lot about songwriting, uniqueness, and staying power.

February 18, 2010 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Billy

This is so cool.
    There's never been a video for this song?
    WTF
    The winning video better be as groundbreaking as the song and album cover were 38 years go.....That's a tall and sexy order.

February 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. windy

I just did. haha . Got your point. edie. :)

February 17, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. edie

She's a very pretty, very well-heeled woman, but c'mon folks: the song is absolutely TERRIBLE! I've hated it since it came out. It is the single most simplistic hit song I've ever heard.....and it has no real melody. Has anyone ever tried to hum it?

February 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tony

Newsreader: that's exactly right. People who don't read carefully will of course assume that she's going to reveal the big secret. So from a marketing standpoint it will work because she's counting on people to be simple-minded

Str8 outta TX: stop being paranoid.

February 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Newsreader

I doubt she will, she auctioned off the secret back in 2003 for charity. Would sort of put the guy who paid $50,000 for the secret in a bad spot don't you think?

cbsnews.com/stories/2003/08/04/entertainment/main566622.shtml

February 17, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Str8 outta TX

i'm really not the type of person who has to show out and insult people to get my power back.
    that being said, newsreader, i felt you directed that comment at me. i dont appreciate the affront. thought i would come at you like a man because there are not enough of us "self-centered youth" who can do that.
    i aint trying to start a big argument, because though i am very intelligent and i like to think of myself as real, i will never underestimate anyone, and i wont take the chance of arguing with newsreader. they could be a genius and put me to shame...

anyway,i'll check this tomorrow and see if there is anything else said where i feel the need to defend myself.

OUT

February 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tony

I'm not sure anything in this announcement actually promises that she will REVEAL who the mysterious vain person was/is....

February 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Newsreader

Amazing how self centered youth is. Carly is giving an amazing opportunity to young/unknown filmmakers to put their imprint on this classic song. Doesn't matter if you don't listen to her/like her, what matters is she's reaching out and hopefully opening doors for people. Also I would LOVE to know who the song is about, just for the "AH HA! I was right!" or "Dang, I was way off" moment.

February 17, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bill North

Listen closely to the backing vocals...Mick Jagger sings back-up on this track.

February 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tony

I agree with LBW.
    This would have been fun maybe 30 years ago. Now it feels a bit sad, even pathetic.

February 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Str8 Outta TX

i am not in that generation... that is like my grandma's and momma's Generation...i am 19 and just needed something to do.
    i dont even listen to that type of music ordinarily (i'm into hip hop/ R&B) , but i have heard it. i guess LBW hit it right on the head when blogged "they would be so old now who would care" hell they would have no reason to be vain!

anyways... didn't mean to waste your time,i just thought i'd putin imput.

February 17, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. LBW

I like her a lot. I own some of her music, but isn't it a little late to be doing this? Even if she reveals who that song was written for, they would be so old now who would care?

February 17, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  16. Debra R

Who is the song about? Did she ever say?

February 17, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  17. Diane

That song is perfect. I don't want someone else's vision of it.

February 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |