February 16th, 2010

Barbara Walters ending Oscar night special

testing captions
testing captions

For fans of Barbara Walters' Oscar night special, an era is about to come to an end.

The 80-year-old interviewer announced on her daytime talk show “The View” that after almost 30 years, this year’s celeb gabfest will be her last.

"ABC has asked me to keep doing these specials as they have been so successful," Walters told the audience. "But to be honest, I feel like I've 'been there, done that.' "

The show has been featuring Walters' interviews with Oscar nominees since 1981.  The final special, which will air on March 7 prior to the Academy Awards, will include interviews with best actress nominee Sandra Bullock and best supporting actress nominee Mo’Nique.

Walters will continue her special “The 10 Most Fascinating People,” for which she annually selects a group of newsmakers for a one-on-one chat.

Filed under: Celebrities • Oscars 2010 • television

1. cindy

Barbara Walters opened the door for women in television news.

February 17, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DIVA

time to turn the riegns over

February 16, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Head Diva In Charge

I don't have REAL strong feelings on Babs (except she does kind of remind me of my Grandmother), but I certainly don't think she is a talking head. She is a journalist, and to have been popular this long she had to grow and change with popular culture. I am sure she isn't proud of everything (like the Rosie/View fiasco, or the Star Jones nightmare, or Elizabeth Hasselbeck), but she has sure had a great career. Good for you Babs!

February 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Danimal

She's freaking 80 years old! Saying she is just "another talking head" is a horrible and disrespectful thing to say. I'll miss her interviews. People open up to her and it is always entertaining.

February 16, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mel w

Thank god. Let's move on & give some new talent a chance........

February 16, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Debra R

Walter used to be a journalist...it is sad she has become another talking head....

February 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |