February 16th, 2010

'24' eerily similar to watching paint dry

Greetings Bauerites. Another episode is now in the books, and it seems we are finally getting back to some good old-fashioned "24" action.

But before we give any credit to the show for some flashes of brilliance, let's briefly discuss the first 20 minutes, which seemed eerily similar to "watching paint dry."

That's right. You heard me. In a word, it was dull, painful and flat-out boring in that opening span. Ok, that was actually five words, but I had to get it out.

Maybe it was the lethal combination of Hastings, Dana, Kevin, and President Hassan's brother getting way too much time at the beginning of the show. Of course, a "24" trademark is to constantly switch story lines, but when you make me rove between these "hate-ables" for more than 10 minutes, I seemed to lie motionless without muttering a word the entire time.

We know how we all feel about Dana and Kevin, so I won't rehash that disdain again this week, but something tells me that plot has thickened to the point of being an endangered species on the show. I give Kevin and his goon/buddy (who only began speaking recently) two more hours - tops. Now that Cole has caught wind of what is going on (thanks Arlo!), look for these two rocket scientists to either turn up missing (my vote), or end up in some sort of "custody."

Also, I think the show is rendering President Taylor moot at this point, and she seems to be an afterthought. She's not really a spicy personality, and adds NO flavor to the show at all. Her "keep me apprised of the situation" lines are getting a bit stale. Yeah Ms. Prez, we know to keep you "looped in."

Yet the last 40 minutes of this week's episode were chock full of the stuff that makes us love "24." While I knew Jack would escape from his torture chamber, I wasn't exactly sure how he would single-handedly kill his captors. His crafty, silent annihilations never disappoint, and this one was no exception. I especially liked what appeared to be some sort of leg-lock Jack did on a bad guy that put the bad guy to bed - permanently.

Once things got going at that point, even the familiar "Jack-gets-tortured-then-escapes-and-kills-everyone" formula was fun to watch. The pace picked up quite a bit and tension was high.

That old familiar fatigue set in right as the previews for next week were being shown. I was spent.

I think things are on track for more good stories-within-the-story next week. Loved, kinda liked or hated this week's episode? Let us know!

Post by:
Filed under: 24 • television

1. CapeCodNick

I understand that this is an action series. However, there is nothing wrong with weaving a good story line, delivered through a soundly written dialog.
    The edge of the action/violence is always there ( unless the writing lets us down).
    There is nothing wrong with the ebb and flow of a story line between the high expectation of action/violence; and the actual fruition of that action/violence ( which we, most of us that is, always hopes that the bad guys/gals get the worst of).

Otherwise, the word gratuitous ( action/violence ) comes to mind.

Finally, I am compelled to mention the FACT that: there are many fighting the good fight in our intelligence community ( both on the ground and behind monitors, desks and books, etc.) who’s accomplishments are far greater then those of Bower &Co.

Ya, ya, ya! But when they all fail…… I know …. Jack’s the man.

February 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mal

Hastings is a bad actor with a hunchback and its honestly annoying. Hes the leader for CTU but I just can't see it like Jim said hes not believeable at all.

Its a slow season but I hope it picks up soon.

February 16, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim Faith

I love 24!

Cant take the new head of CTU, its just not believeable.
    Danas character started off good, but this story line is again just not believeable...her boyfriend is a trained "Jackster"..he could rid her life of the two idiots on his lunch hour...
    Renee is emerginbg as this seasonms best actor...VERY believeable!!
    Chloe is on another planet, but we love her!

I dont know if its the writing or the acting, but the acting is just not that great this season...mostly CTU head and the computer nerd...

February 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. veteran watcher

I agree with the person who is sick of Chloe being so meek that she is not even a shadow of her former self. She is as essential to 24 as Jack–albeit on a different level. BUT lets see her more and ditch Dana who is totally unable to handle personal pressure, much less national pressure.

I like the Pres. too. Why isn't she a force rather than that paranoid president (lol: BadHair-istan) who is getting increasingly crazed. Also, bring back that spicy wife of his who can talk some sense into his cheating self. Get the treaty signed and move on. Arresting his possee one by one is not that exciting.

Jack needs an Almeda–not a Dana boyfriend who seems like an untrained CTU operative. Somehow I'm afraid Freddie will stop Dana from killing those losers.

Have they changed the camera angles, too? In previous seasons I've felt that someone was always creeping up behind me. The tension was palpable. Not so much anymore.

But Jack is the best– just give him a more exciting task than chasing a diesel truck.

February 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Susi

I'm no Hater of 24...I'm a Lover of 24...and I consider this constructive criticism to the writers of the show. I'm sure that so many of us are complaining because we are used to the High Level of Writing and the fine Acting and to being surprised and delighted by unusual story twists and turns...and it doesn't have to be straight up action or gratuitous sleaze (plenty of that on other lesser shows). We want our 24 at it's best, this includes Jack AND the fine Ensemble cast that it used to be. This means that gee, even the subplots would be interesting and the minor characters could act...and yes, some of that is happening, but hey...the Bar could be raised by the writers of 24!!!!!!

February 16, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sandra

Please, Dana, after shooting those two, turn the gun on yourself. What a doosh of a character! Madam Prez? No way would a true woman who made it to being President be that stupid; she'd be strong enough to join Jack and kick ass. The story line is supposed to juice up soon and it can't be soon enough. Does anyone else wonder how the russian son got those rods moved all by himself? Duh! No more torture for Jack (enough already) or for fans (enough already). Let's get down and dirty with some inside tricksters. And who the #@#@ is this dude in charge? He can't find his brain much less be in charge.

February 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sayshe8

...What's with "Lethal Weapon" shock treatment & escape knock-off?

February 16, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Barbra

hopefully Dana will accidentally shoot herself after she kills the goons. loved the head-lock! now that's some Jack Bauer s–t!

February 16, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike Wilkerson

We liked last nite's episode. Not a ton to bitch about really which often makes for lackluster podcast reviews :) We're interested in interviewing you in a future episode of our 2GuysTalking" 24 Podcast (http://www.24podcast.com). How do we contact you to talk schedule? Touch base via my Email address or give us a call at 314-229-7683.

Thanks for the review here and talk to you soon!

February 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joe M.

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out before, so I'm sorry if anybody has, but has Hastings stood up straight at ANY time this season? He's perpetually hunched over and it's getting annoying. Seeing him constantly wobble back and forth while he walks and his head stuck out like Quasi Moto has really sent me over the edge.

February 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Outlaw

Decent episode last night. I agree on the slow start yet better finish. Gotta also agree with the many valid observations on here...
    I understand the need for a dramatic paralell storyline within CTU but like most here I think the Dana plot pretty much sucks....yeah there was palpable tension last week with the goon's raid but even then it's a far cry from how their previous sub plots have carried the other seasons.
    Would have rather seen them develop Chloe and maybe even her hubby with some sort of sub-plot tied in. I know something's brewing with Chloe's covering so guess we'll see. Cracks me up that most on here love her (like me) but many are also completely annoyed at her demeaner and expressions. Gotta love the fact that people have that kind of love/hate for a character but for the same reasons.
    The Bubba Gump comments have me cracking up....his role isn't as bothersome to me as many other have expressed but I would agree that he can't hold a candle to the director's of past.
    Goes for Ms Prez as well. I agree that David Palmer and co. set the bar to high (both acting-wise and plot development) in years past.
    I usually enjoy the politically charged paralells as well but I have to wonder if at times if the writer's art-imitating-life-imitating-art viewpoint plays too much into developing the plots as opposed to keeping it simple and going with what works.
    As with most everyone else I believe that more core action with the core characters (Jack, Renee, Chloe) would serve them better than
    trying too hard to manufacture new plots and drama.
    That said, there's still far more right than there is wrong. Hopefully we'll be treated to many twists and turns with plenty more ass kicking along the way.

p.s. I'm sure others noticed Jack's lack of scars in this episode....?

February 16, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gee

Something is really missing this season. In the past everyone in the house knew that hey were not to disturb me when 24 is on. It's so boring now...that I've fallen asleep on at least 2 episodes. I hate seeing a great show go to pot. I must admit I really miss the outstanding writing. It's ashame!

February 16, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. I H8te Lost But I Used to Love It

@ Rick said "I was fine with last nights episode. I hope the Dana story goes away quickly. It appears she is contemplating killing them and I hope she does." ------ Actually, I hope she off herself that way there's no chance of her mucking up the plotline any further.

February 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. scott

I like the dana story line; i'm finding it to be one of the best subplots yet. it's good to see Jack back in action. There was a two hour lull without him doing anything. I'm tired or Renee. Someone put her down! :)

February 16, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. phyllis

To Jack/Keifer, get well soon.

February 16, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. phyllis

I loved last night show, Jack was as usual great. It was kinda slow at first, but like you said, came alive in second half. I hate to see Jack suffer, i can't look at those scene's. And the Dana storyline, she was suppose to tell her guy the truth, instead she is going to kill old boyfriend, and his partner in crime.If she is not going to fess up to Cole she needs to move on, like skip town, and leave him a letter.

And Renee needs to check her self into rehab. She can not help Jack in her state of mind. Chloe needs to tell this Dana how it is done. Dana is putting Jack life in danger, when she is not doing her job.

I love Jack being Jack. This Russian arms dealer, did not have a clue who he was dealing with, but he found out. When Jack was talking to him after he had been handcuffed, telling about killing his own son, because of money, and the way Jack was looking at him. Then Jack saying I may be able to do something for you, and calling CTU, and telling Russian arms dealer, the President of United States, wants to talk to you, the look on the Russian face, was dumb struck...

I still am not liking new CTU chief, maybe he will get better, Bill is my favorite... go jack go..

February 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Susi

OK, yes, who put Bubba Gump in charge of CTU!!! You nailed it, Chant D.!
    This character is just totally implausible, a one-note buffoon who takes one shallow lead and runs with it, ignoring all others! No one like this could ever be in charge of a high level tactical agency like CTU, get with it, writers! Ok, he redeemed himself slightly when he apologized to Chloe, but get real, such an obvious incompetent in charge???!!!
    Well, maybe his presence explains why Dana and her harrassing techie are there, he was the fool who hired them!
    Please get rid of this fool and put someone with skills in charge!!
    Let Renee pull herself together and let's have more of her, Jack, Chloe or some characters with personality!!!

February 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. 24

How about this for an idea:

Jack gets his schlong caught in his trousers and ends up in the emergency room? Would you people prefer that?

February 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. AMac

I thought this was a good one for multiple reasons. I get that people are frustrated b/c some seasons move slower then others but come on! It has to be somewhat believable. Jack is still a badass and the show is still about Jack- so be patient and stop bitching!! If your "bored" watch something else but don't get on here to bitch about it! Get a life you Negative Nancy's!

Anyways I have to say I did cheer when Hastings said "I think we should go with Jack's judgement on this" About freaking time! The guy who used to have your job- who has saved the world multiple times...yeah we should probably do what he says!!

Also, when Jack told the Russian "You know this is over right?" Jack...you should know it's not over!! It's only been like 8 hours! When have you ever had such a short day??

February 16, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. 24

All I heard from you morons about my last 2 days was that Jack wasn't involved enough. So I rectify that. Now I hear griping that he's doing too much and needs to call in MacGuyver!

What do you want?

It's enough to drive a show insane!

February 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  21. 24

Quit trash talking me or I'll go on strike!!!!! I'm not joking around here. Any more negativity and I'm gone.

Then what would you obsessed losers have to do on Monday nights?

Pet your cat?

February 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. H824

24 is the biggest load of crap ever. What a waste of time. Tune into something educational and expand your mind instead of being turned into a vegetable

February 16, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. TommyS

Great Season!! Great Episode! Back off critical know-it-alls! lol
    Haven't any of you critical people ever worked in an office before? Haven't you worked with "nerds" or bosses that think they know it all? The new CTU director is playing his roll just how he's directed, and he is very believable, he is new to his job, he is dealing with high pressure situations, he puts on a front that he is confident, yet knows that he is not always right, and has to put his trust in Jack, which makes him "second in command". How about poeple like Dana? She brings another element to the show that some of you may not like, but at least she is playing her part well. This element makes the CTU office world an "office" with it's own drama which all offices have. We will soon see how the sub plots, distracting as they may be, will play out and cause their own trouble for Jack and the crew. We learn that if co-workers don't act as a team, things do not work out. The nerd that's always hitting on Dana plays his role well too. We've all know guys like this in the office. I think "they" (the new characters) are playing their roles well, and will soon add to the drama of the main situation at hand!
    If you don't like these added story lines, just appreciate that it will get better, that the writers will have some major plot twists, and that Jack will be and is the hero!

February 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Lynn March

Get rid of that awful president. I'm sick of her, she's boring. Somehow Mr. All-State needs to come back to life like in the Soaps. And the Iranian president is boring as well. Every scene they are in gets on my nerves. Not to mention Dana and Hastings. The writers had a whole extra year and this is what they came up with?

February 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  25. JW

Just a few things about this season of 24 that wears thin on a 24 fan. The worn out story line that someone inside CTU is jacking with the data base and manipulating the data. Please stop that. It’s old. Another is the immunity agreement thing that reappeared this week. Get the Russian guy, clamp his nuts in a vise and get the info you need Jack. Lastly, the Dana thing where we're brought to the point where we're hoping she going to tell what's been happening to her only to be interrupted again! Horse crap. This show moves fast enough that disposing of this situation with these two boneheads should be handled and over with!!

February 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Susi

Love 24 and am a fan of many seasons...BUT...what's up with the Sleazoid tone of some of the story lines!? I know the writers of 24 are highly creative and imaginative, why do they think that 24 needs sleaze and to get ratings...this is not a cheesy reality show! I'm referring to the Dana story line, not only to controlling, abusive former boyfriend, but the co-worker sexually harassing her!!! PLEASE!!! They are working at CTU, how could some junior techie get away with that kind of 1950's sexual harrassment and why would any woman allow that in that type of setting?? Highly unrealistic and ridiculous, plus annoying, which causes me to hit the fast forward button. OK fine, Dana has a past with the guy, he's a bone-head, so move it along and get rid of him!
    Past seasons have showed some subtly and nuance to the story line and relationships (they still have it going here with Jack and Renee, thankfully), but let's get going writers and improve the other story lines! The excessive torture sequences are dull and tired and run of the mill sexual harassment seems below the level of 24 to drive the plot!!! ...and....I agree with an earlier comment that President Taylor is becoming sidelined....I feel she is an interesting character and a fine actress, but needs a story to work with. So, what's up writers, dig deeper!!

February 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. matt

We need President Palmer back again.

I have been a fan of the show, but have been losing interest over the past 2 years.

February 16, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tim

PS – Maybe "24" can work in Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Jack can have about 14 minutes with him in an empty room!

February 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tigerlily

ps. More Dana hating... Is this CTU or deserperate housewives? I don't recall any previous CTU analysts slinking around in sleeveless cocktail dresses, planning weddings and noodling with their boyfriends in the hall every 5 min? Since when do they "step out" in the middle of a crisis? Since when do they commit federal crimes in order to save their own tushes? What is this – high school musical CTU? No no Kevin don't tell my boy-friend about my stint in juvie!! I'll do anything! Barf.

February 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tim

"24" is the best thing on TV in a long time. I agree that the first third was slow and boring but the rest of the show was back to "24" standards. The one thing that I don't understand about this week and last is (I know Jack is good but...) how can he do all of this shot-em-up and phyically fight the bad guys when he has just had a blade shoved into his gut? He is really, really tough and the bad guys are really, really whimps! "JACK BAUER FOR PRESIDENT!!!"

February 16, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Nick

Uh, hey, '24-speaking-for-itself' ...

Everything on you happens for a reason? Really? You must be forgetting your first seven seasons, because your writers have never planned out an entire plot before they started writing it.

February 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Tigerlily

I LOVE 24... but I was seriously concerned about this season from the get go. First of all, Cloe. Where is our sassy sardonic smarter than everyone Cloe??? She is a seasoned, experienced CTU agent who has saved the world time and again... and she's eating crap from these "new" CTU jack-offs? Not ONE of whom I have even an inkling of respect for yet. Hastings is a moron. How did he get put in charge? Dana really kills me – they have firey passionate complex "Starbuck" on cast and they are wasting her. she's a total wuss and she keeps"disapearing" – how is nobody (besides crush boy) noticing this? Freddie Prinze Jr. as lame duck Dudley Do-right has yet to impress me. I wouldn't ask this CTU to help me get my cat out of a tree.

The on the political side, they aren't doing anything of interest with Pres. Taylor. Cain & Abel from BadHair-istan have zero depth or bite. Every time a semi-interesting character shows up, the shuffle them off stage right. I kind aliked the bitter wife – at least she her stiff upper lip raging with resentment was interesting. And handsome right hand security guy banging the cute daughter was cool too.

There's a little hope for the russians with their family drama... and Jack & Renee still hold my interest... but I feel sad that she shut him out until now. Seriously I have problems with that too. Jack is not the type to walk away from his friends. He would have kept better tabs on Renee and he would NEVER have told Chloe he couldn't help her – after all she's done for him – no way no how would he say that even for a second.

February 16, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. David

I am glad to know others are not glued to 24 as we all were last year.

I actually became a late watcher. I just started watching during last season. I actually looked forward to Monday's because of 24. I made sure my kids were in the bed and told them I don't want to see you or here you until the next day unless the house was on fire and even then they would have had to wait till a commercial came on to tell me.

But this year even though my DVR is recording them I have barely watched any of them. I don't think anyone has said it yet, I think the problem is that many of last years episodes seem to have been ripped from the headlines of what was going on politically between Democrats and Republicans as it related to National Security.

Now that much of that debate has died down I think 24 is struggling to remain relevant and different.

What do you think????

February 16, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Windsong

Last night's episode was as moving to the soul as elevator music is to a rap singer. I had to flip through the channels to find an old re-run of Howdy Dowdy to watch to make what I just saw seem interesting and exciting. This is just not believable and as creative writing goes, we might be better off if they all went back on strike. Two thumbs down :(

February 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  35. lily

I agree with Ficheye (this is entertainment not reality)...I have nothing to complain about this season. Gr8 plots and story 24.
    Seems folks are so easy to complain about everything. So much negativitiy going around this country.

February 16, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Mitch

I think we all can agree season's 2 & 3 were the best, i feel this season is MUCH better than last seasons, but we need Jack to come back and kick some butt again.

Dana's storyline is cheapening the show and killing CTU's professionalism. I mean one minute she is freaking out on her cell at work and then i see her at a strip club with a pistol...........she is definitley no NINA thats for sure.

This season COULD have a lot of promise as long as they ditch these little side stories quick and allow more growth in Jack/Renee's situation as well as Jack going to kick some more but for a few hours straight.

February 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Lou

Does anyone and I'm mean anyone believe Renee was accepted into the Russian crime syndicate?? Come on, give me a break.

February 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  38. KB

Friends and relatives said watch it so i did. After the few episodes this will be my last season with it. 24 sucks

February 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Greg P

I was ok with the episode. Same with everyone else, I'm getting really tired of the Dana/Kevin story, hope she caps him and his friend next week, but get the feeling Cole will get there and stop her ahead of time and take care of the situation for her. (Anyone notice the female leads have shady backstories that are interfering with their work?). Also, not sure if they meant to do it, but big ups to "24" for having Jack with a pistol and no shoes on, as well as hiding under the table while the bad guy shoots at him. Both are wonderful "Die Hard" references.

February 16, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Amy

Something definitely seems to be different- perhaps uninteresting is the right word -this season...could it be simply that Jack came back to life last season after what appeared to, finally, be the end of him? So now we don't believe anything that happens will "be the end of him", lessening the suspense aspect of the show?
    Last night I almost thought I could NOT watch it and be perfectly fine with that and I missed the first 10 minutes...(obviously, as the article states, I didn't miss much). But then I was hooked again when Jack blinked his eyes while pretending to be unconscious from the electric shock bestowed him by Russian mob man that he ended up killing in that fantastic knee deadlock. President Taylor is lame...whatever happened to her daughter?...Dana subplot is lame although it'd get better if she just got caught for the liar she is...and Renee as a lost, tortured soul doesn't sit right either... But the blink of a Jack's eye can make it all turn around! I will keep tuned as I think it will get better....

February 16, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Bobbo

I've watched 24 from season 1 also; love it! Completely agree that Hastings is horribly lame, at best. Dana could be fun if they'd write some more adult spice into her character, much moreso than Rene.

I believe the writers were saving for a big punch while going head to head with the Olympics. They knew they had to make something happen last night and next week should be good too.

I think we all agree that Jack's the man, but his foot has to be screaming big time after kicking that pipe apart minus his shoe!!

February 16, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  42. David Kristiansen

24 is just having a bad day.

February 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mogalr

24 is exactly that...stupid and boring. Ir reminds me of the "teasers" and "trailers" you see in movie theaters. Its the same grabage week anfter week. Nothing more than a glorified soap opera. I wont watch any more.

February 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ficheye

How much reality do you want? It seems like a lot of people want 24 to resemble real life. It's supposed to be unbelievable. How many times have we seen Jack take out a bad guy with one shot from 50 yards away even though his opponent has a machine gun? No, the more implausible it is the better I like it. Hey, in the very first episode Jack kills a bad guy with a fire axe! Now that's entertainment!

February 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Kirk

Dana will knock off Kevin, but his buddy will capture Dana before she can off him......then her boyfriend will have to save her while looking for the rods at the same time.....oh the conflict!

Jack and Renee will hook up at some point and then, of course, Renee will sacrifice herslef to save Jack about 12 hours down the road.

February 16, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Jake

Someone already said it ...the CTU director is HORRIBLE. Just weird, horrendous acting ..it feels completely forced. Is that his normal stance with his head hanging off his shoulders and his eyes squinting to "think hard" on a subject? Woooof. Brutal. Chloe is as annoying as ever, the subplot is lame ...but Uncle Jack ...what can I say. God I love ya!

February 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  47. DexX

It just seems like this season of 24 is what happens BEFORE a normal season of 24.

Business negotiations with Russian mobsters? Treaty talk? Random bad guys and a CTU agent with a hidden past?

Those are the sort of t hings revealed as backstory...not as the MAIN story.

This would be akin to watching the defense contractor from a prior season negotiate with the African Dictator for the bio-weapon. That's NOT the good part for the story.

Maybe this season should have started 12 hours later or so...

February 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Tom S

I am a newbie. I have started watching 24 from season 1. I have also hooked my wife. She anxiously awaits the arrival of a new disc each day. It is definitely different watching current 24 with season 1. However, I really think the Dana and the boys stuff has to end. Her character and her "boys" plot is idiotic. Finish them all off. Glad to be a Bauerite now.

February 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  49. byrdlegs

How did DANA ever get her security clearance to work in CIU? Doesnt speak very well for their investigative procedures. I'm sure we will see DANA whacked he ex-boyfriend and will undoubtedly be arrested. That should get her a well deserved exit from the program. Jack is doing too much on his own. He made need to call in McGuiver before the season ends.

February 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Mel

Just can't get into it this year. The plot and characters are boring. The whole plot premise is vague and there are no characters to like or dislike with any passion. The two hillbillies are just plain dumb. Renee is so far gone, she is not even believable, Hastings is laughable, Cole...well he was ok in Scooby Doo!. There is no impending doomsday scenario that usely keeps us all wanting more. Jack himself even seems a bit stiff and unbelievable at times. Unless they can come up with something to salvage the season, they should shelve the series and let us all just remember the glory years.

February 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Ben n Dallas

Too many commercials and not enough action. Tired of hitting the mute button and skipped last nights show.

February 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jack P

No, no, no..... you have it all wrong. "Lost" is like watching grass grow.....

February 16, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Steve

One last thought. Every season there is a shift around the 12 hour give or take an hour so whatever is happening right now will not mean as much as some of might you think.

February 16, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  54. Omar

I wonder why Chloe is letting Dana get anyway with this, usually Chloe will be the first to tell Dana l know who you are( Dana's real name) that kind of stuff , but she seem to know something is going but decided to ignore it. Don't know why?

February 16, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  55. Steve

24 while good is not what is once was. The high was season 5. The low was 6. The first 4 were great. Now what we have is a show that is somewhere in between great and OK. Shows run their course and I hope this will be the last season as I would rather see 24 go out on a fairly high note than sink. Case in point is what does this Dana thing have to do with anything? Pure filler material. 8 seasons will be enough for me. When 24 goes away I will miss it but I would rather see it go than to slog on.

February 16, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  56. ARC

I just love 24 and like you,I was spent by the end of the show. Like Rick, I hope the Dana story goes away soon as well. I am sick of her and her goon friends! They are ridiculous. What will be interesting to see is what happens to Hastings at the end of the season b/c there is no way that they will let him keep that job acting like he has been. I was shocked when he deferred to Jack last night. The first decision he has made ALL season that has made any sense. And I have to give a shout out to Chloe b/c she always comes through. She rocks!

February 16, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  57. Farideh Varoujian

I am not sure what the comments of some in reference to 'intense' missing justifies their opinion. This is one of the most cleverly displayd plots of modern times - keeping the viewer waiting imapatiently for the next episode. I agrree to some extent, in the past episodes the plots were a little more thrilling - hat was the introduction to the viewer what 24 was all about - now, time has moved on, just as every plot moves on to the next level - all-in-all still an extremely well displayed hour for anyone who enjoys a fiction story relating to behind the curtain peek of keeping America safe

February 16, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  58. suzan

I love 24 I will always wait for to continue.
    Please get rid off the CTU director he can't act and boring looks like a big nothing going around doing nothing.
    also kill all that Dana and friend people very boring does not belong here.
    Need more Jack Cloe Renee and more good story.

February 16, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  59. Valerie

Loved last night. I agree it started slow, but picked up big time. Typical Jack Bauer.....when will they stop torturning that poor guy. .Lose Dana, Kevin and his friend for good. Do not like Dana at all.

February 16, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  60. Peter

I have trouble watching 24 this season.. Maybe it is my HD my Tv but the show seems to be shot too much in the dark..even the indoor shots are so dark on my Tv that i have too much difficulity seeing them. I gave up because i just cannot make out what is going on. All my other shows are bright and clear, the nigh sceens are clean.. 24 is just photographed too dark to bother trying to see waht is happening.Indoor shots should be brighter and well lit..not so dark and gloomy .

February 16, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  61. Yolanda Luna

My girlfriend and I think 24 is addicting but we're not starting a 24 Anonymous. We love Keifer and all of the characters and film makers. We know waht it takes cuz we make movies, too. Usually we just wait to rent the entire series one month a year, but this year we're keeping up every Monday night with wild 24 parties. After the episode, we put on masks of Jack Bauer and make out with each other.

Take care of your health, and keep the greedy bastards down!

February 16, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  62. Charles

Dana, please shoot Kevin and his idiot friend. In fact, the three of you should simultaneously shoot each other.

February 16, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  63. Spider

The paint continues to dry. Jack continues the barely audible rasp. The story line plods with the usual skowls. CTU is in the usual moral morass. The program with great potential, fails.

February 16, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  64. Chant D

Who really thought it was a good idea to have Bubba Gump be the head of CTU? Does this bother anyone else?

February 16, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  65. Bill

I'm tired of Dana – she should be schwacked for being an idiot! And I know its always been there but another season of Chloe's sour puss expression! I don't think I can take it anymore.

February 16, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  66. Ignacio

YES this was a more 24-like episode! Especially the story telling part, at the classical releasing tension only to find that what we were looking for was either not there or unimportant in light of a new thing.

February 16, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  67. G

Ever since Palmer, i think the show has gotten less intense. Palmer and his wife added realistic tension, not just the same ole lines like 'keep me appraised of the situation'. that president also didn't just sit in one room all day. but if other story lines are gonna get killed off because those actors become at least as interesting as Jack, then you're gonna get this type of writing. not good. Jack /Kiefer has to allow other characters to get as much a following as he has if Kiefer's gonna have a show that lasts. look at other shows that have multiple good characters and multiple fan bases. they are more complex shows. i worry that this issue can kill the show.

February 16, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  68. Matt

"You will see where all my story lines are going. Everything so far has happened for a reason."

Clearly, 24, you never watched yourself in early seasons. Season 1 had Palmer's son as a murder suspect. Season 2 had Kim as an au pair fending off the abusive father and then the infamous cougar debacle. Season 3 had the whole Milliken story and even more worthless Kim crap. None of that went anywhere and just distracted from the main storyline.

Now Seasons 4 and 5 were pretty tight. So was 6 in terms of worthless B-plots, regardless of the debatable quality of the A story. Season 7 didn't have much that strikes me as very distracting either.

See, that's why Dana vs. Tweedledee and Tweedledum sucks. It has nothing to do with the A story of Jack vs. Bad Guys with Fuel Rods. It's distraction, it's filler, it's stupid. The best thing that could happen now is for Cole to catch the other three in the strip club and then the whole place explodes.

"It's a lot tougher than you might think to interweave 7 different story lines with 33 different characters"

Well, yeah, that's the whole point. Focus on the one main plot thread, identify two, maybe three, tops, subplots that relate to it, then cut the chafe. Tighten up.

February 16, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  69. Lou

Ok, Hastings is an idiot as is Pres. Taylor, I hope they are both written out FAST! But the bigger question I have is why do all the women have to be weak, indecisive and or dysfunctional? I think the writers did Renee's character a grave disservice by making her appear so weak.Also, the insubordination and sexual harrassment scenes are a little distracting to me. I am ready for Hastings to be replaced, Pres Taylor assassinated and Dana to go back to the trailer park.

February 16, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  70. Lenae

I didn't love this week's epidsode, as with every season of 24 there are always those shows that just give you just a taste of whats to come and I do not like those shows. I am so over Dana and her mess can't wait to see what happens with that.

February 16, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  71. Tavo

SG I totally agree with you, the worst season so far, is just not working, too much talking, no action, the subplots suck, they need to do something good soon, the show is going to the drain with this story, at least looks like that the Dana/Kevin story is going to end soon, but we need some old faces, all this new characters are not working...
    Hastings, c'mon he looks like he is constipated the whole show, Cole Ortiz is a bad version of Joey Tribianni's "smelling face" acting,Dana JUST cannot be a part of 24, President Taylor is lost in the United Nations...
    More Jack, More Chloe, More Renee please!!!!

February 16, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  72. Mike

This season doesn't hold up to the previous cliff hangers. The new cast, since nearly all of the old ones are dead, all appear shallow in developing their respective characters. However, Jack is still great being Jack. Someobidy needs to teach the new CTU director how to swing his arms when he walks. Right now he/s more of the incredible bulk. The self tortured President needs to get really mad, just once before the end of the show, or maybe have a quickie with old what's his name. Even her nuerotic daughter didn't raise an eyebrow. Otero, Arlo, and Dana just can't act, but hopefully their times will shine in the remaining twelve hours. Don't count out Dana's subplot. It's there for a distinct reason. This is 24, remember? Renee will get it together very soon, so look out. In the meantime, thank goodness for Jack and Chloe.

February 16, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  73. Mark M.

"24" has had a GREAT run. This season is starting off so slowly that I have to believe –they are saving the best for Last. We know Jack has go to SAVE THE WORLD again –because that's what he does. We know– that Nuclear materials are in play -so somewhere in here –a A-BOMB has to be made–or I hope several. We know –the ultimate BAD Guy has NOT been revealed yet. WE KNOW– the makers of "24" know –that WE KNOW –the END is near. I pray they will end this with the BIGGEST BANG. I hope they don't KILL JACK to end this series –evenn though many have said that is the ONLY peace he will find. I hope that let him GET HIS WOMAN –fly off to be with KIM and family. So that –one day -years from now –when he is needed -He can RETURN. I love this show --I would like to give the staff –5 yrs -THEN HYPE JACK'S RETURN LIKE "THE SECOND COMING of the Christ."

February 16, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  74. luvinit

i love 24!!! and i liked when jack holds the phone to the russian guy and says the president wants to speak with you. it was a funny moment. shows jack has pull that he didnt know about. every season is gonna have episode that fills in time. it can't be action all the time or else it would get to be too much. if thats a problem for ppl, i suggest waiting til the season is over and watching everything at once in order to fulfill your suspenseful/action packed needs

February 16, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  75. 24

Please stop criticizing me!

I realize that more and more Americans have short attention spans, but try getting back to your roots and exhibiting a little patience.

I am a marathon, not a sprint.

And to respond to your feeble criticisms that my show bored you: What the heck would you prefer? Nonstop action, running, shooting? Then how the hell would I develop the plot? It's a lot tougher than you might think to interweave 7 different story lines with 33 different characters, fill it with believable fights, explosions, raids, and escapes, and then throw in 4-6 amazing plot twists that you never saw coming.

So BACK OFF, sit back and enjoy the rest of the season.

I don't want to hear any more criticism, because frankly, it's not like I'm going to change mid-season to meet your petty demands. Yeah, that's likely!

February 16, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  76. Debra R

Get well soon Keifer

February 16, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  77. SG

This is probably worst season. Kinda boring.

February 16, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  78. Alek

'24' is where pulp fiction meets a soap opera. None of the characters have credibility. None of the story lines make sense. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Michael Bay is the director.

February 16, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  79. Tony B

24 is the only reason i sit down to watch tv. It's the only show that matters for me. My only wish is that it was on for 2 hrs. instead of an hour. We need more Jack Bauer's in the real word.

February 16, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  80. Ken

This season has too many unlikeable characters IMO. The early seasons had great characters that were likeable and you rooted for: Jack, Kim, Tony, Prez Palmer......and the bad guys you enjoyed disliking: Palmer's wife, terrorist 1-7, etc.

Now the good guys have a lot of characters we dislike: Dana, Dana, Arlo (a male Cloe, but without her charm), Prez "keep me aprised" Taylor", Renee, Dana, etc. Give me some people to root for aside from Jack and Cloe!

February 16, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  81. Rooster

I agree, duller than dull compared to even 2 seasons ago. Mykelti Williamson(?) who plays the CTU director is awful. I don't know if it was a bad casting choice or what, but he is so bad he is distracting! Something needs to break loose next week or I may not finish this season.

February 16, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  82. Bre

The worst was when Jack holds up the cell phone to the Russian guy: "Here... the President of the United States wants to speak to you."

Uh huh. Because that would happen.

Also, I hope they didn't cut an immunity deal with the Russian guy's son, who *wasn't even there* when the deal was brokered! Really???

February 16, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  83. jt

What a huge improvement from last week.

However, now Dana just walks away from her job! A huge mission with millions of lives at stake! To stalk Kevin with a gun?

Are we to believe that the mouse is going to turn into a tiger?

How could she be so stupid to believe that he was going to get this money then walk away from his 'golden goose'.

If this is the best our government has to offer – we are truly in trouble.

Looking forward to getting back into good storyline.

February 16, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  84. Colin Buchanan, Toronto, Canada

There was a report out this past weekend that a script writer has been hired to pen a script for a possible '24' movie. Given how dismal this season's show is going (and, yes, I too am optimistic that it may yet turn around – after getting rid of Dana and her gang of idiots) – I'm thinking "it's time to kill this TV thing and send it upstairs to movie land".

February 16, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  85. Shep

I totally loved this episode and I have to agree about the "hatables" and spending way too much time watching those idiots. They should have definitely mixed it up a bit more.

February 16, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  86. James

I love 24! I've watched every season, sat around just waiting for each episode, just dying to know what happened. I even liked the sixth season that everyone else panned.

But this season of 24 is just plan boring! Dumb side plots that are dragging on, not enough Jack, President Taylor's barely in it, and there's barely been a threat. Where's the ticking time bomb?

I love Jack Bauer, I hope this isn't the last season of the show, but there needs to be much more Jack and much less of everything else.

February 16, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  87. vallary

It was dry it didn't leave you hanging on the roof like week before. But, I love the show it was good. I know they will pick up they always do.

February 16, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  88. Rick

February 16, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  89. Mark

I'm struggling with this season a little as well.... real russians would've made Jack right away (for being such a wimp and begging to make a deal) and popped a cap in him.... Then the head russian mobster breaks down and cries.... c'mon! Those guys are ruthless murdering sociopaths... Now if Dana can blow her jack-ass ex away and get away with it – that's good material... As for the president of kablamistan – they should expedite his assassination and put us out of our misery...

February 16, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |