February 15th, 2010

Beauty queen lands on 'Amazing Race'

After giving a less-than-articulate answer to a question about geography in the 2007 Miss Teen USA pageant ("I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps"), of course, Caite Upton would end up on the 16th season of the globe-spanning "Amazing Race."

The season premiere on Sunday looked very promising for the season ahead, with some pretty fierce competitors and colorful characters early on, despite some major missteps by a few of the teams. Some early quick takes:

Brent and Caite: No doubt the former Miss Teen South Carolina feels like she has a lot to prove, and first place appeared to belong to her and her model boyfriend... until they skipped a funicular they were required to take as part of the race, incurring a 30-minute penalty. Look for them to stick around for the long run, but it remains to be seen if they'll get much fan support.

Jeff and Jordan: Here we have the epitome of fan support, by far the two most popular houseguests from "Big Brother" last season (and Jordan the winner). However, it was Jordan, not Caite, who had a few geography problems, confusing Chile for China more than once - not too surprising as she confessed on "Big Brother" that she didn't know how to tell time on a clock. Despite this, the pair came in first this week, so they shouldn't be underestimated (though their prize, a chance to try out the sport of skeleton at the Whistler Sliding Centre, was a case of unfortunate timing).

Carol and Brandy: This couple had a take-no-prisoners attitude in the first hours of the race (Brandy's prayer of mechanical failure on another plane was answered), but so far their performance on the challenges isn't too impressive - Brandy was a nervous wreck walking across cables 120 feet above ground.

Jet and Cord: These two likable cowboys seemed done for, but through some missteps by other teams, they ended up in pretty good shape going into the second leg. But it will take more than luck to get to the end.

Jody and Shannon: Grandma Jody loves running triathlons, so she's certainly a force to be reckoned with, but she and her granddaughter need to pick up the pace.

Joe and Heidi: Joe all but promised that he was going to be this season's guy-who-spends-most-of-the-time-screaming-at-his-significant-other, but that hasn't happened yet. So far, there's not much remarkable about this couple.

Dan and Jordan: The other Jordan immediately recognized Caite from her beauty pageant days, but it's hard to tell if he wants to start an alliance with her team or take them out. This pair had a less than conspicuous start, with Dan falling off the cables and later receiving a 15-minute penalty for losing a paintbrush.

Louie and Michael: These two detectives basically jinxed themselves by predicting that they would win every leg of the race. On the first leg, they came in ninth.

Monique and Shawn: Thanks to Brent and Caite's mistake, the moms/attorneys had a great first leg, finishing in second. So far, so good for these two.

Steve and Allison: The baseball coach and daughter appeared to have all the makings of a solid team so far - that is, until they wandered into a private home during the painting challenge and started painting a room in the house, even asking one of the workers in the house for a clue, which wasn't forthcoming. Needless to say, they'll need to pay better attention to detail in the future.

Dana and Adrian: The married high school sweethearts had been through a lot together and had a wonderful personal story, but unfortunately the cable-walking roadblock was too much for Adrian, and after a couple of falls, they were the first eliminated without even making it to the mat.

So at this point, I wouldn't write off any of the teams... well, maybe Louie and Michael.

What do you think of the new season so far? Any early favorites? Share your thoughts on video, or in the comments below.

1. Kate

I coudln't stand Jeff and jordan on BB and I KNOW I won't be watching AR! ARGH!!! Jordan already won money, did she blow thru it already???????? PROBABLY!!

Get a job J&J!

February 16, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NH

I don't think I've laughed so hard while watching The Amazing Race before. Caite and Jordan certainly made things entertaining. Hopefully these ladies will learn some geography through this show.

February 16, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Melora, Longwood, Florida

I guess there are more ignorants in Chile than I thought.....

February 16, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. jimbo

This has to be the dumbest group of contestants this show hs everhad. cowbouys trying to navigate Chile with "Brazilian" money. Miss Teen USA saying Danka in chile, painting the inside of a house instead of the outside etc....wow...The season opener had poster boys and girls for stupidity. This will be a very comical TAR . Hopefully we wont have another irritating ERICA type screaming at her husband every episode and sulking all the time.

February 16, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Any Roo

Gee, what about Bert & Ernie, they would actaully add something to this lame show. Over dramatised American bull-dust.

February 16, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

They can be white,black gay, straight, whatever, but please no more celebrities. they have already had their moment of fame. I used to watch The Apprentice, but the producers ruined that with the celebrities.

February 16, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jim

What is it about the gays and lesbians on TAR that is so upsetting? It isn't as if you will be seeing anything sexual going on. So what if some of the contestents are gay? Gays exist in the world, and they have every right to compete as anyone else. Would any of the commenters who said they are tired of seeing all the gays have ever said, "I'm tired of seeing a Black couple on every season"? Or a Jewish couple?

And, btw...someone suggested Carol and Brandy were the first Lesbian couple on TAR...An earlier season (I don't remember which one) also had a lesbian couple, an Episcopal Minister and her lover, but they were eliminated rather early in the race, which is probably why you didn't remember them.

February 15, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. xiphoid76

I am happy gays are portrayed on this show since they are virtually absent from most of the rest of primetime television.

February 15, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Traci

I am SO disappointed in the competitors on the race this year. My favorite thing about Amazing Race was always that it seemed to be ordinary people from all over the country competing against each other.
    This season has twice the celebrity has-beens and wannabes of last year (globetrotters). Enough! Get back to the real amazing race with ordinary people who haven't already blown their 15 minutes of fame (beauty queen) or are trying to turn game shows into a career (big brother couple). What's next? How about next season we just get half of the survivor contestants and half the real world contestants?

February 15, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sarah

I personally hope the network reads the fans' comments.
    1/ I also want to see non-famous people compete.
    2/ There should be more mental roadblocks to give women & older people a more even chance
    3/ To make it more like a real race, there should be penalties and/or disqualifications for cheating or lying to other contestants.
    The show should reward good sportsmanship.

February 15, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sasha

I'm sick and tired of all the gays. They make up way to high a percentage of these racers. This should be called agayzing race.

February 15, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. the dish

to Melora, well guess what I am from Chile myself and apparently more tolerant than you. Give the girl a break.

February 15, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rachel

I actually like when dumb "ding dongs" are on the show- it makes if funny! I loved that the cowboys exchanged dollars for Brazilian money when traveling to Chile. As for the beauty queen, she will likely make me laugh, too, given that she has already spoken German to a painter in Chile. It's all about entertainment anyway.

February 15, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. AJ

You guys need to chill. First of all, 3 out of 22 gay people is not a lot, and if having to see 3 gay people is so difficult for you, than turn off the channel. And same thing for the Celebrities. There's 3 celebrities, and a baseball coach who most Phillies fans wouldn't recognize if they saw him on the street. They have a diverse group of people because it makes for more interesting television. It sounds like a lot of people on here either hate gays or applied for the show and are mad they didn't get picked.

February 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Melora, Longwood, Florida

To 'the dish": well, guess what; I am Chilean myself.....and so is my husband..... and despite the fact that you are right, there is a large population of German people in Chile, this by no means makes Chile a bilingual country..... "Danke" never replaces "gracias" in Chile.....

February 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Annia

I have been an avid viewer since the first season. The show is more fun that the lame Bacheror/rette crabs, which I could never waste my time to watch, even if it means ot save my life. TAR, on the other hand, is more entertaining & it's nice to see other places that I can only dream of visiting. Phil is awsome, as always.

I think Caite can do the tasks, as long as they don't require her to use her brains. We know what's (not) up there. Oh, and as long as she doesn't talk, i.e., "Danke" in Chile...LOL. The cowboys are so neive, but are fun to cheering them on. The other girl that mistaken CHILE for CHINA is just as bad as Caite. This should be the most hilarious race EVER!

February 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MDwebguy

2007 Miss Teen USA pageant official: "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"

Caitlin Upton: "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."

Caite is a dimwit, a snarky show dog, and a washed-up has-been, all by the age of 20 years old. Her parents must be very proud.

February 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. steve

Done with watching this show as of last night. Just way to PC for me. 24 total people and 3 of them gay? PLEASE!!! I'm sick of it getting rammed down our throats..

February 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Andy

I keep seeing a lot of comments about the two gay couples. If any of those people actually watched the show, they would know that there is only one gay couple and a brother pair in which one of them is gay. Just a heads up.

February 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. SE

C'mon really. Just because J & J have been on BB does not make them extraordinary people. They are still pretty ordinary. And get over all the judgements and trying to make this show something it is not. It is just fun TV. It is something the whole family can watch together.

February 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jim

I think was Robert was probably referring to is that on Jordan's (the gay half of the Brothers team) TAR profile under Role Model/Hero it includes: "Also, Karen Rein, my best friend and life partner. She is what life is all about, love, happiness, and laughter." I'm rather confused by that also.

February 15, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ego

I too love Jeff and Jordan...Jordan always makes me smile with some of the less than smart comments she makes, and the way Jeff just lets it go over his head is great to watch also. They are adorable together. I love the Amazing Race, no matter who's on it and if you are a true lover of the show you would watch and stop complaining about whom they pick to participate...maybe they had a tough time getting people to sign up and some reality starts did, so they got on!

February 15, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lail

Jordan is ok as long as she doesnt open her mouth to talk

February 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Michael

In one of the interview videos, one of the brothers stated that he was gay and his brother was straight.

February 15, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. robert

The ATR website info about the two brothers (Dan and Jordan) seems to indicate that they are both straight.
    I hope we don't have to endure another season of annoying gay men (man) nagging the partner.
    Giving the 'gays' a bad name.
    How many times was it necessary to say 'I love you bro'.
    ps: I'm gay, so I can say this.....
    Go Dan and Jordan!!

February 15, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sonja

I love Amazing Race......All of the different countries and places they all go to is very educational and good to see how everyone lives on an everyday basis. The only thing is I don't want to see someone who won money off of another reality show win again.....Don't get me wrong I watched BB and love Jeff and Jordan, but don't want them to win the finale. Keep up the good work TAR!!!!!!

February 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. talley

I agree with tired of reality shows using other reality contestants on their shows. I avoided using celebrity. I do not watch Big Brother but I think if you got a chance to win on one show that should be your fill. Allow someone else to get the chance next. The beauty queen, eh, again it's not like she's average and she's the second beauty contestant to be on the show. Been there done that TAR. But over all I like the group.

btw Out of 22 contestants only three are gay. It's the first lesbian pair, I think. I'm sick of very stupid people being on reality shows but dang it there they are in droves. Not a fair world we live in.

February 15, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. andrew

Those southerners need to get their children an education or else hide them from public view.

February 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Einez

I'm tired of the show casting beauty queen's and Reality TV "celebs," using this show to extend their 15 minutes of fame. What is even more bothersome is the lack of faith of CBS and it's execs that the show can stand on it's own feet after winning God knows how many Emmy's. they have to resort to gimmick casting of this sort. Enough of gimmicks and go back to basics!

February 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jaguargirl213

Dan and Jordan are brothers and I thought only one of them was gay. All you homophobes out there can settle down now.

February 15, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Karen

I personally love Jeff and Jordan from Big Brother and I know a lot of people who will tune into Amazing Race (who never have watched Amazing Race) to watch their favorite BB couple. BB is consistently one of the top shows for CBS, so it is actually a very smart move to pull in some of the audience from BB. I personally love seeing them and can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.

February 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Shom

I don't like this year's cast. This show is for regular people; this will hurt the show long-term. What were the producers thinking?

February 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. DG

What's the uproar about celebs, etc. It just shows they have struggles too. They are all new at this game and everyone starts out even. I love this show and have watched every season since the beginning! It just for fun...lighten up!

February 15, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. kim j

i don't understand all the hate for the cast. tar has done a good job in casting people for the show or it wouldn't still be on after all these years.i love jordan and jeff i think that they are very entertaining as far as there 15 minutes of fame get used to it. i know that they don't win but i will watch until they are out.i don't watche tar but will watch this year until jeff and jordan are out. congrats to jeff and jordan for winning the first leg of the race way to go!!!!

February 15, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. jb

just as a note of correction, there are not two gay couples this season. there is one gay couple (carol & brandy), and then brothers (dan and jordan) – one of them is gay, one is not.

this season looks great so far!!

February 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Annie

Are you kidding me??? All the reality show "celebrities" this season. J&J are the only team that have been on another reality show and Miss Teen isn't typical reality, the other teams ARE everyday people. So 3 out of 22 (now 20). I don't understand why people have to look for the negative in everything. This show is good, clean fun and can be watch by the ENTIRE family without worry. Being on a reality show has no bearing on the race, not being eliminated is the only thing that matters.

February 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Michael

Pay attention people, there are not two gay couples; the women are a couple, the guys are one gay brother and one straight brother. Details sometimes matter, you think?

February 15, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  38. lee

have watched every season of this show. even applied once. forget the (so called)celebs please. Of all the people that would love to be on this show, this was the best the casting dept. could do?
    what's next- cast of the Jersey Shore?

February 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |

10. one interracial couple
    11. one straight girlfriend team
    12. one straight male team

that should satisfy everyone

February 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Debbie

I am not a real amazing race fan but with Jeff and Jordan on the show I cant help but tune in to watch . They are very captivating . I cant wait to see what Jordan messes up next . She is so normal and down to earth . I wonder how many times Jeff will tell her to hurry up. If they can make it through this show they can make it through anything.

February 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. the dish

to Melora from Longwood Fl;

Chile has an extremely large contingency of German citizens so Caite Upton's heartfelt danka to the cabbie was more appropriate than you think. Good Job Caite! You did your homework!

February 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Debra R

So sick and tired of seeing one of my favoirte shows get the leftovers from big brother....I liked it better when these were ordinary people...now we have beauty queens, and celebs....also why so many gay teams? They are certainly over represented...and latinos are way underrepresented....

February 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Judy

What a letdown......................All those recycled reality show hasbeens. Keep it real, folks!

February 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kori

very disappointed in this season's cast. I love amazing race, and part of the reason I like it so much is because the characters are relatable. Not this season. Most of the people already had a chance at something great. let some everyday people give it a shot!

February 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Scott Roller

Hey Dave--yeah, that's you, Dave Deeds, who said you're tired of "the gays" on this show.

I'm tired of homophobes like you, too, but they keep getting airtime.

Unfair world, isn't it?

February 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mykle

Love the race but am so tired of the pseudo celebrities. I've had enough of the beauty queens, enough of the reality show recycling. The real people are the most interesting people (and apparently are the more intelligent of this seasons contestants). Let's get back to how the first few seasons went, when the show was (and the contestants were) fresh, new and interesting.

February 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Elizabeth

Love TAR, and watch a bit of it every season, but Jeff and Jordan are my team and I will watch closely as long as they are racing. They are sweet, genuine people who offered Big Brother viewers a lot of entertainment this summer. (I am not a BB fan but they captivated me so I tuned it to cheer). They have a zest for life, have big hearts and I wish them nothing best has to offer! And I love them most because no matter where they place in the race, they will be appreciative of the experience and opportunity. Great role models! Go J&J!

February 15, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ada

The Amazing Race should have kept it just with regular people. That's what made the show entertaining. Now all celebrity show people will attempt to be on this show which will eliminate the 'real' people.

If this continues-I won't be watching anymore and neither will any of my friends, because each season we pick winners and get together to watch, discuss and laugh.

To the celebrity people who have already had their 15 minutes of fame- I say shut-up and go away.

February 15, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  49. Saki

Love the show but hate when they put "ding-dongs" on the show, people who have no clue where countries are, what language they speak or what money they use.

February 15, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  50. Kim

LOVE The Amazing Race!!! this is the ONLY so called reality show I watch. No idea who any of them are and dont care. I really wish other reality show people were NOT on The Amazing Race. That kinda ruins it!!! Gay, black, white, of course everyone should be allowed on the show. Just not other reality people. I personal thing beauty pageant are AWFUL and would never support them. I had no idea who the beaty queen was.

LOVE The Amazing Race!!!!

February 15, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  51. P.T. Richie

I agree with the comments of "household name." The show like all reality shows started out being about average people competing against each other. With every ensuing year that becomes less and less the case. I will not be watching TAR this year nor will I be watching Survivor due to this fact. These show need to get back to their roots of what made them great before everyone else follows suit and they have fail to have viewer "critical mass" to continue on.

February 15, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  52. Melora, Longwood, Florida

The former Ms. Teen South Carolina mentioned that she had come to this show to prove that she is not as dumb as people think....well, let me break it to her gently: she is even dumber!!! In Chile, a Spanish-speaking country, she gave a heartfelt "Danka" to a taxi driver, which I imagine was attempt to say "Gracias" instead.

February 15, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  53. the dish

It seem slike the two gay couples were particulary nasty to Caite Upton. Very immature and shameful. . I hate to see that and perhaps the comments can be attributed to the editing on the show. I too agree there are too many celebrities on the show. The Mole with Anderson Cooper met its demise when it began the Celebrity Mole with the Baldwin (don't know which one, they all act and look alike) brother and others of his same genre.

February 15, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  54. laura TJ

always enjoy the "Amazing Race".My 9 year old son& I love the different countries 7 of course the road blocks etc. great show.

February 15, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  55. Joe

Wow. Way to break the mold this season – instead of the one gay couple (is it required by law to have one gay couple in each season???) they have two, and instead of one black couple they have two this time, and hey they even threw in an asian couple to let people know there are actually other races in America besides black and white.

So in all honesty hats off to the producers this season – let's hope this is the start of these shows actually casting diverse people, not because they have to, and then only making a token showing of it, but because the people themselves are interesting.

February 15, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  56. household name

I love TAR (The Amazing Race). But part of the charm of TAR was that ordinary people were competing in challenges in exotic lands with other ordinary people. It seems that this year, more than in the past, TAR is littered with reality show "celebrities" (Big Brother contestants and famous beauty pageant contestants). I think this will only hurt the series long term, as reality show crossovers become more commonplace, essentially undermining the original intent of showing "regular joes" competing, rather than primadonnas hanging onto their 15 minutes for as long as they can. The current Survivor Heroes and Villains thrust is another instance. I mean, how hard is it to find a handful of ordinary folk who want to compete on a show like this. I mean, how unphotogenic are we, after all?

February 15, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  57. dave deeds

I am tired of the gays that are on this show. They are not 10% of the population yet they seem to get their share of shows.

February 15, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  58. WooHoo

Don't have maps? Whatever happened to $200 GPS Navigation?

February 15, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |