February 12th, 2010

'Clueless' duo Alicia Silverstone and Amy Heckerling team up again

testing captions
testing captions

Special Marquee blog from TheFrisky.com

After oodles of Dracula adaptations, “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Twilight,” “True Blood,” “Daywalkers,” and “The Vampire’s Assistant,” I thought I’d let out a blood-curdling scream if I heard about another vampire movie. But amazingly there’s a new entry in the bloodsuckers category that I’m pretty excited about. The flick is called “Vamps,” and it starts filming in April. What’s so buzzworthy about it? It will be directed by Amy Heckerling, the woman behind “Clueless,” which, 15 years later, never fails to crack me up when I catch it on cable. As if (get it?) that weren’t enough, guess who’s starring? None other than Alicia Silverstone, whose comeback we’ve been anxiously awaiting for years. This will be the first time the dynamic duo has teamed up since their 1995 breakout.

Alicia’s best friend in the movie will be played by Krysten Ritter, aka Lucy from “Gilmore Girls,” who’s making the leap from quirky sidekick to full-fledged co-star.

“Vamps” tells the story of two female vampires living it up in New York City, “until love enters the picture and each has to make a choice that will jeopardize their immortality.” I’m kind of digging this twist on the classic vampire plotline—as many fanged-up movies and TV shows as I’ve seen, it’s always the male vampire who’s in love with the human female. Is this girl power gone to the vampires? Also, this movie sounds like it will be a comedy, a relief after the heavy melodrama of “New Mood.”

More from TheFrisky.com:
Anne Hathaway left the Catholic Church for her gay brother
Why are celebs in such a rush to show off their post-baby bodies?

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Biotin side Effects

the Gilmore Girls are really gorgeous, and that is the main reason why i watch that tv show ."`

December 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tea Dress :

the women of Gilmore Girls are nice and pretty,,.

October 23, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Justin Campbell

the cast of Gilmore Girls are very pretty, i wish i could marry one of them.-;.

July 20, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kai Collins

every girl on Gilmore Girls is pretty. i kind of admire them and have a great crush.';.

June 30, 2010 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Deb/Florence, AL

I really liked Clueless and if I run across it now I'll watch it again. Blast from the Past was great also. I am also crazy over the "Twilight" series, but not the others. I read all the books and it is different from other Vampire movies.

In fact, Alicia Silverstone is a very nice person, I've read about her and her vegan eating habits and it makes sense.

June 16, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kay

Well, I'm not a fan of vampires, but I do love Alicia Silverstone so much as an actress, and from what I've read about her, she seems like a very nice person to be around, too! Oh, I love Clueless! And Blast from the Past, that was such a good one, too! Does anyone remember that movie?

February 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. KHat39

The woman behind "Clueless" was actually Jane Austen. The script is just a simple modernization insulting the brilliance of "Emma." But I guess these are the same idiots who ascribe the quote, "the unexamined life is not worth living" to Madonna's song, "Vogue" rather than Socrates.

February 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AC

@ John and Nicole... she said New Mood because she was punning the name on the fact of maximum melodrama in the movie. Did neither of you read the sentence as a whole?

February 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

Yes, Nicole, the writer meant NEW MOON. Haven't you learned by now that the CNN.com editors's rarely proofread their articles? It used to surprise me to find errors in them; now it surprises me when I don't.

February 14, 2010 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Adam

"Clueless" was the most overrated piece of comedy garbage. It wasn't funny. It was, in fact, quite sick. She ends up dating her step-brother? I know it's not blood but c'mon... you can't find a non-family memeber somewhere in California to date?

And pay attention to Alicia Silverstone's mouth. She has this weird thing when she speaks. Her lips go in multiple directions as she anunciates. It's very distracting. I can't enjoy any of her films because I'm too distracted by her weirdo lips.

February 13, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nicole

Did she mean "New Moon"?

February 13, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Craig

The vampire thing is getting a bit repetitive, but that doesn't mean it won't be good if handled properly.

And anything that pushes Alicia Silverstone back into the spotlight is fine by me.

February 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cardsgal

I was onboard until I read that Ritter is the co-star. Could barely stand her on GG.

February 12, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jason

Will go if there is nudity. Without? Meh.

February 12, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. K

I AM excited that Alicia may be making a comeback (I LOVE Clueless), but I think she might be doing it the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I love Twilight and True Blood, but there is just TOO much of it! In a very short time this vampire fad will end and her career might go with it if she joins in.

February 12, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tracy, Omaha

I loved the movie Clueless, but Vamps, just sounds ridiculous. It's hard to even imagine Alicia Silverstone in anything other than Clueless. You have to remember 15 years later, she's got an older audience (as far as those of us who do remember her in Clueless). This isn't a good comeback flick for her career, just can't see it...

February 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Omaha Reader

Love “Clueless” and you were right, 15 years later, never fails to crack me up!... BUT “Vamps”?? uhh, sorry I am sooooo tired of the whole Vampire thing... WHATEVER!!

February 12, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sophomorocat

I am so tired of stupid sucky vampires, vamps too for that matter!What's next? Vampire Lassie?, Interview with the Chipmunk?, Happy Fangs? ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

February 12, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |