February 11th, 2010

John Mayer keeps tweeting, chokes up on stage

Last night was probably one of the lowest for musician John Mayer, and Twitter was there for him as he got some of his feelings off his chest.

After he tweeted a series of apologetic statements for his now infamous Playboy interview, Mayer started responding to a few of the comments that had his name high up on the trending topic list well into the night.

Twitter user CRHines17 - bio: awesome - tweeted to Mayer an offering of support Wednesday.

"We're all human," he wrote, "everyone makes mistakes," to which Mayer responded, "True. But some mistakes are hard to pinpoint because they happen slowly and over long periods of time..."

Actress Holly Robinson Peete - whom Mayer referred to in the interview as one of the black women he would date  in spite of his "white supremacist" genitals as he's always found her to be gorgeous - saw more flattery than malice in Mayer's controversial remarks.

She tweeted Wednesday evening, "Well y'all ...not just [because] he shot this old momma some love but I think [the] Mayer is 'racist' reaction is kinda over the top, no?" Because of the amount of attention her response yielded, Peete even wrote a blog post about the escalating attention Mayer's words have attracted.

Mayer's use of the "N" word is "the biggest no-no of them all and coupled with the White Supremacist 'privates' comments it dawns hard on me that by gushing in public about a compliment by one of my fave artists in this article filled with offenses I look like I am giving him some sort of 'free pass' just cause he said I was cute," Peete wrote.

She added, "I seriously do not believe John Mayer is a racist. It’s such a strong word and there are real life hard core racists in this country who really deserve to wear that hat– especially these days...Though his judgment is askew, his filters are dysfunctional and at times he sounded almost certifiable, he isn’t a racist."

Mayer hasn't responded to Peete's support, but he did have something to say last night to Twitter user Adilla.

Adilla tweeted Wednesday evening that he was "just waiting for @johncmayer to follow up his apology with an announcement that he's going to rehab. I mean, it kinda worked for Tiger, no?"

Unfortunately for Mayer, as he himself noted on his reply to the user, "They don't make rehab centers for being an a-hole."

While performing in Nashville, Tennessee, Mayer kept the apologies coming, pausing in the middle of a song to extend his remorse to his band mates, according to Us Weekly.

"In the quest to be clever," he began, "I completely forgot about the people that I love and that love me."

After choking up during his apology, he ended by saying, "It's just not worth being clever ... I quit the media game. I'm out. I'm done. I just want to play my guitar."

And with that came Mayer's final, tweeted statement of regret.

"I just wanted to play the guitar for people," he wrote. "Everything else just sort of popped up and I improvised, and kept doubling down on it..."

His Twitter account has been a wall of silence ever since.

Filed under: John Mayer • Music

1. link pyramid

Thanks for your article!Perfectly written and to the point!

December 13, 2012 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. iPhone 5 Aluminum

Wonderful points altogether, you just won a new reader. What would you suggest about your publish that you made a few days in the past? Any certain?

December 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ugg Corinth Boots

Wonderful website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about here? I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get feedback from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
    Ugg Corinth Boots http://bbs.sib.jp/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1449732

November 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. northfacewindwalljackets.blinkweb.com

My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!
    northfacewindwalljackets.blinkweb.com http://northfacewindwalljackets.blinkweb.com/

October 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. www.goodsunglassesmall.com

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on several websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! http://www.goodsunglassesmall.com/

July 26, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brooklyn Evans

Asian women are cute and good mannered. they are very caring too.;'.

June 29, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Katherine

Just goes to show how fame gets into your head and you think you're untouchable and can say or do anything without consequences. He can cry all he wants – I don't feel sorry at all for him. Next he'll be busted for DUI or something and start crying all over again. Not buying it.... he makes me sick!

February 14, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

Uh, hello? I was a JM fan until this little incident....he disgusts me now. There's no denying his talents but he needs to take a serious look inside....

February 13, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. o man

I love how sensitive this country is over everything. Celebrities are put under a microscope. One misstep by celebrities or politicians is a death sentence. everyone is looking for their chance in the spotlight. Peete got her moment of attention. People need to chill and not get offended over everything imaginable. So come on people lets come together and condemn John Mayer over this. Great idea, right?

February 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bud

Go away, John Mayer – you are a spoiled brat who cannot find a way to enjoy your fame without putting your foot in your mouth...focus on making music & nothing else – except go hide under a rock for the next 50 years.

February 13, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Pablo

Well now we all know what his real talent is: Thinking he can speak.
    His music is nothing short of AVERAGE and HEARD IT ALL BEFORE.
    And, Yes. This doesn't give much credit to Jeniffer for her decision making process.
    John (who?) Mayer, Vincent (big head) Vaughn and anyone else that makes a movie with her and takes her to dinner, twice....
    AH, Hollywood !!

February 12, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ada

I think John Mayer is a total ass. He always runs his mouth off about everything. He certainly is no gentlemen. He kisses and tells, and in the process, embarrasses the hell out of the ladies he dates. He really should be more respectful towards women, and he definitely should apologize to Jessica Simpson. Actress Holly Robinson Peete is a married lady. Who does he think he is making stupid comments about her? He might be a good musician, but that does not give him the right to blab his mouth thinking that he is being clever. No woman in her right mind should have anything to do with this idiot.

February 12, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jean

so now Mayer's thoughts and true feelings are controlled by "technology?" People are responsible for their own actions, we have free will. The last thing John Mayer needs is people making lame excuses for him. He himself has apologized for his unfortunate words. I don't personally care if he's a racist and certainly don't care who his choice of women are; I don't want MY children thinking what he said in public is OK because it isn't. Besides, I take GREAT umbrage at the things he said. There is no power on earth that could induce me to buy his music; go to his concerts. I choose to spend my money selectively. John Mayer isn't worth a penny of my money.

Having a forum to air his true feelings was the only inducement he needed to show his true colors.

February 12, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nurma

I'm a big fan of Mayer's music, but his social ineptitude has always given me pause. Not really an issue for me yet. I think he is a talented musician and songwriter who has a lot to say and should channel his expression into his music. He is a "victim" of the technology that has caused people to just run their "mouths" like faucets without thinking first. Just because you can tweet, blog, IM,text, etc, any little thing in your head doesn't mean you should . I think it spills over in our face to face interactions with each other and it often ends up backfiring and biting people in the butt. Believe it or not people, everything you think is not of interest to the entire world. Stop and count to 10 before you speak.

February 12, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Billiam

Did he actually say anything racist, or did he just say the N word? I don't read the articles in Playboy.

February 12, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jean

So now being "High" is an excuse for spewing insults at a race of people and using the vile "N" word? Please, give me a break! Mayer said what he felt, what he meant and spoke his truth as he sees it. It's good because now everybody knows what a little closet racist he's been and now he's out of it. Personally, I didn't know that women was his speed. I know he dates them but.........

February 12, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mannie

John please .. show some respect with women , you need lessons from your "mom".

February 12, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kristal

Its amazing that people are attempting to disarm or justify the content of that interview. I personally would like to thank John Mayer for showing the world who he really is. I could never be a fan of someone who thinks like that.

February 12, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Rlg

Instead of tweeting his thoughts, John Mayer should just stick to singing and playing the guitar.

February 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kp

maybe now that he's not tweeting and 'growing up', him and jen can get back together...

February 12, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. AngelCake

I'm sure he was high when he did the interview. I like maybe liked JOhn, i'm hardly even mad at him. Really I'm scared for him. maybe it's just be but I see his behavior as erratic, and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that he's dealing with depression. He's a very creative and unique individual, ... it's time for him to digress, search his soul, and play his guitar.... I pray his genuine creativity is rebirthed in the process.... PS Did I mention I'm "African American"?

February 12, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sheppard

With the way he runs his mouth, it was only a matter of time... I have often wondered if he is less a womanized than just a guy who can't KEEP a woman. Kinda like Jennifer Aniston and all her "dates" (where I come from those aren't called "dates").

February 12, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jean

Listen, if someone, no matter who it is; treats you as if you have no dignity and does not value you as a human being, then leave them to their own devices. I say to any black person who even thinks about supporting this man and what he stands for to think again. The entire nation wanted to crucify Kanye West and while his behavior was plain wrong, he didn't come anywhere near saying anything as hateful and racist as John Mayer did. One more thing I'd like to add. Quincy Jones and Lionel Ritchie are NOT the ones to ask for comments on John Mayer's racist diatribe. You know why.

February 12, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jean

People defend racist comments by the likes of people like John Mayer because they think the way he does; It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

February 12, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jean

This is for the black women who wants to give John Mayer a free get out jail pass I would ask one question. Where is your dignity? There comes a time when one must take a stand and this is one of those time. Don't buy his music or attend his concerts; he's already told you what he thinks of you. He's used the "N" word. What more do you need? You want to continue giving him your hard earned money to spend on those whitegirls he loves so much? Pick your self-esteem up off the floor and buy the latest Robin Thicke CD if you just have to fawn over a whiteboy.

February 12, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Rtrev

How many lead guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb? Only one. He holds the light bulb and the whole world revolves around him.

February 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Why, oh why, do i care?

I dont' know that mayer was trying to be racist. My guess is he was under the influence of several somethings and thought that he was being funny. It was offensive, not funny. Yet, despite my dislike of this type of news, i'm still reading everything I can. Mayer= issues.

February 12, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  28. Black Woman

It amazes me how quickly we defend someone's racist comments to the black race, using derogatory words such as: 'Hood pass' and 'N***' is RACIST.

John Mayer took this opportunity to assert himself as being superior to black people, I do not date white men, however you would never hear me make a demoralizing comment about why I don't date white men. Racist is what racist says.

SOCIETY STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR BAD BEHAVIOUR, comments such as his lends itself to further instil in society that being black is always negative, let us ensure we protect the physic of our young generation of blackpeople....NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I would implore all black people to get a refund for their concert tickets to his concert. Take a stand, words does hurt.

February 12, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  29. John Mayer shut up!

I suppose all of you making excuses for this idiot are also so very forgiving of Mel Gibson? Just asking....at least Mel was drunk..this guy is just a moron

February 12, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  30. Swampdonkey

Why do people dwell so much on what celebrities have to say? Especially musicians? As far as I'm concernced with J. Mayer you either like his music or you don't. If you think he makes good music, listen to it. If you don't then don't. How life-changing of a comment was this for any of you? You are really going to dwell on something that John Mayer said in an interview? Please. If you really care that much you need a life. The overall population in general is waaay to obsessed with celebrities, who, in the grand scheme of things mean absolutely nothing to an everyday person. Their actions mean nothing, their words mean nothing. The guy is a musician, let him play music and support him if you like his music. Look at Mellencamp. The guy thinks he's a politician but he is far from it he just preaches his political views like he is one. I'm sure there are people out there that still like his music even though his political comments are absurd. Same deal. (And who gives a rats A$$ about Jennifer Aniston) Get over it and stop allowing stupit $hit that celebrities say make any sort of impact whatsoever on your lives)

February 12, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. Kaleigh

Hey, John Mayer!
    What ever happened to waiting on the world to change? :O

February 12, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  32. Susan

I don't think John Mayer is racist. I think he is a player and womanizer. But since all women pretty much know that, they shouldn't be surprised when they hear this stuff about him. The main thing is that he should not talk so much, especially to seedy magazines. Most of the things he says are pretty tasteless. But he is one good guitarist and singer/songwriter. I will soon be getting the FIRST CD of his EVER.

February 12, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  33. Gerard Stachelski

Got to say this all really doesn't make me look at John Mayer any differenent then before. The guy is a great artist and from what I can take, a pretty genuine person. Did he screw up? Of course. But we all try to put these celebrities on a higher pedestal and expect them to be flawless. The only thing that seperates them from the everyday person is that they were blessed with an incredible talent for something that is shown publically. I am with Mayer on this one, screw the media, I am done. I am looking forward to see what the true musician in him will bring out because he very well might be the most talented guitar player in the business today.

Keep on Jamming John!

February 12, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  34. DeeDee

Stupid? Yes. Thoughtless? Yes. Racist? That's a bit harsh. I think the age of political correctness has gotten out of hand. Are people really that thin-skinned? There are some things worth fighting and some that just aren't. This falls in the latter category. On that same note, give Tiger Woods a break, people. He cheated, he didn't kill puppies (and I don't even watch golf.)

February 12, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  35. Lashelle

He just made those comments cause he can't handle a black woman.
    It's ok John, we know you did not mean what you said, but to us BLACK women, you are not sexy enough for us to want to lie down with you. You stick with whatever women you choose, cause once you go BLACK your hooked for life. I should know, cause my husband is a white, and he loves him some me!!!!

Take care, and hope you can one day fine a good white woman !!!

February 12, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  36. Zuri

I have tickets to see John next month with a girlfriend but I am seriously considering just taking the loss and not going. I used to have a major crush on him and loved his music but as a black women, I find it a bit of a turn off that someone who chirps about changing the world is not trying to change himself because that's where change starts, with self John. A little dissappointed and disgusted not sure how to take this but the deal breaker is the N word or any other racial slur. Just not cool

February 12, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  37. Erin

Hey John,

You never go full retard....ever.

Idiot

February 12, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  38. Debra R

Lord, John, please just quit trying to be clever and witty. it is not your forte. Your die hard fans will excuse you....you may as well have paraded around in a white sheet with the pointy hat and then apologised.....or dressed as the gestapo on Halloween...come to think of it you seem to be the Prince Harry of the music industry....

February 12, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  39. DeeDee

When you compare your body parts to David Duke, you're labeling YOURSELF as a racist. Can't blame anyone else for that!!!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  40. Chris Griffin's Pimple

That's enough John Mayer.

February 12, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  41. tina

Did he finally realize what we have all seen for awhile?
    Please close your mouth John Mayer.

February 12, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  42. Big George

Dumb! Ignorant! A waste product! Having been on this planet for 46+ years as a Black man from the South having lived all over the US thanks to Uncle Sam, I have never heard the term "n_ _ _ _ pass." For white friends who have been heavily engaged in the culture I have passed out honorary "brotha" or "sista" cards. I have even had my "Black" or "NAACP" card taken away (e.g., for possessing a Hank Williams Jr cassette tape)or took away cards for similar egregious behavior. LOL

I had never heard of "Hood pass." And I was okay with that. Dude could have just answered the question, but he pulled the "N" bomb right out of his backside for no apparent reason.

A word to people of all God's flavors, if you are not intimately involved in a culture, don't make jokes or push the envelope trying to be cute. You will only make an arse of yourself. Anytime you are new to the game, shut up and learn the ropes before opening your pie hole. Sometime it take years before you are allowed to "go there." This includes marriage, work, school, neighborhoods, church, clubs, etc.

February 12, 2010 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  43. DeeDee

I'm a black woman and I find John Mayer's words to be despicable! If he isn't attracted to black women that's all well and good. But claiming to have a Benetton heart but a David Duke penis means that he's labeling HIMSELF as a racist. Firstly you can't separate your genitals from the rest of your body. Secondly, David Duke was the Grand Wizard of the KKK so it's probably a sure bet that he would never want to date a black woman because he despises black people. (Does John's penis DESPISE black women?) And thirdly, if a black entertainer were to label his penis as Adolf Hitler, are you SERIOUSLY telling me that there wouldn't be any backlash?

What so many of you won't admit is that the US media is constantly belittling, berating and deriding black people in general and black women in particular. Why didn't the interviewer ask John Mayer if he dated Latina or Asian women hmmm? You won't really understand until it happens to you.

And I'm sorry. But dating, having sex or being married to black men (and NOT being a black woman) will never give you a proper understanding of the way that black women are denigrated in this society or even around the world.

John Mayer has confirmed his position as douche bag of the year. And the sad part is that his musical talent can't even make up for his asinine mouth. What a waste!

February 12, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  44. jansen

being human is not an excuse.. that is so overused in defense of your mistake.. i dont why Mayer have not thought about his answer before saying it.. i mean come on, you know the implications of your answers.. your not a young boy anymore that you just say whatever you want.... maybe thats just your personality just like what you are trying to portray on the media, that your upfront person.. whatever it is that youve said, you said it and no matter how sorry you are, it doesnt change the fact that you are a racist...

February 12, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  45. Craig

At least he was honest so why worry about it. I'm absolutely sure that their are plenty of women who are not "white" who love his "Your body is a wonderland" song

February 12, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  46. Terry

I will be rejecting everything “Mayer” from now on and as a Black woman, I will be demanding a refund on the concert tickets I purchased as a birthday gift for my daughter & her friends. We wouldn’t want any of that N--ness rubbing off in Mr. Mayer’s vicinity would we.

February 12, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  47. Trini

Mayers...I am so confused what is White Supremist/ David Duke genitals? Does it Believe in segregation during the day and intergration at night? Or is it very microscopic? I hope it wears a "hood" all the time.

February 12, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  48. carmen

The guy is a moron., grow up and learn to be a man!!! Poor ladies that go out with you, they deserve better!!! Jennifer Aniston, dear, plz, you can do better!!!!

February 12, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  49. Howard

Johnny...shut up and play your guitar...you can sing as well, but that's it...no more talk...

February 12, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  50. charley Walker

i will personally revoke his hood pass. he better not

February 12, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jordi911

As a black woman, I do not believe that his comments were racist, but they were crass. If you asked me yesterday, I would have said that I was a huge John Mayer fan, and yes, I would probably have thrown myself at him. But...he doesn't really find us black women as attractive, so I no longer think that he is that appealing. Since men are pretty much ruled by their genitals, his positive comments on a couple of attractive black women, like Kerry Washington, were just a joke.

February 12, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  52. Bernie

I stated to some people earlier that as a public figure JM should have chosen different words or refused to answer all together. The words he chosen were just poor and do not reflect him in a positive light.

As a woman of color (Latina), I understood exactly what he meant but it just sounded ridiculous coming from him because it wasn't expected. I don't hate him for it. At the same time, he's not a kid and that answer was something I expected some of the new young artist would say. He's not new to the game, he should have known better to do that especially when it's going to be in print.

Whether he felt like that or not is his business, why can't some of these artist learn to keep their person opinions about things to themselves? Don't they know anything they say will be miscontrued and then a witch-hunt can ensue?

February 11, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Nanezbah

I'm disappointed John Mayer would crown himself the most dysfunctional musical idiot of the higher order. His trashy tongue overshadows his music...try intellectualizing that!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tiffany Cruz

This guy shouldn't even have any fans!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  55. KC

That his Twitter account is silent? Praise the Lord!!!

That any woman would want anything to do with him is beyond me. He has always struck me as creepy and predatory.

February 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Texas JM fan

I am a John Mayer fan and have all of his CD's AND will see him in concert next month. I think he is an amazing musician. That said, clearly the man thinks below the belt when getting into a so-called "relationship". I didn't need to know what his sex life was like with Jessica Simpson...yuck. I am not a fan of hers at all and thought he could do better–but now I am not so sure. It's been a chain of women, one after the other, each more famous than the next.
    John-take some time off from dating and focus on what you are actually good at: YOUR MUSIC!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  57. vsb

I don't think John is a douche, nor do I think he is racist, but I do think he def needs to shut up once and for all. He actually isn't even that clever. He seems forced, like a wanna-be intellectual mostly. PS, by shut-up, I also mean not sing. He sings like he has marbles in his mouth.

February 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Racial Avenger

Everyone feels "guilty" when they've been caught. Is Playboy just lucky, or does everyone suddenly spout what they really think to this zine and retract later

NEXT!

February 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Stacey

It's not that John Mayer said ONE thing that was offensive. All the words that leave his mouth without the accompaniment of his guitar, ARE offensive.

February 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Kate

There are a lot of musicians who make great music who are completely off kilter outside of performing. I like his music. If he says something dumb, I tune it out. I do not need him to be a role model for me. Having said that, I wish he would not have used the N word – it is not appropriate for anyone, anytime. That includes African Americans – let'sd just drop it from the language.

February 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Suzannah

John Mayer is a brilliant artist. I love his music and I have made it through some difficult times with his musical help. I do not, however, appreciate his comments that used the "N" word and referred to women as objects. I do not believe he is racist, I just believe his “stupid mouth” created an ignorant ramble. I sincerely believe that he is sorry. He did not just make one statement, but various statements of apologies. I would want to forgive and forget this comment, and I think this will happen in time. John Mayer needs to take a much needed breather away from the media, and reevaluate himself. I would hate to see a musical genius' reputation be ruined by ignorant comments, but this could very well happen if John does not stay out of the public eye for a while. He just needs to keep quiet, he has apologized and only time can tell. I love you John Mayer, I just do not love some of your words outside of your beautiful music.

February 11, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Stevereeno

By the way,....

What rappers gave money to Haiti?

JM gave a 1/2 million. Some racist huh!

February 11, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jeri

Poor John, after these blunders, I'm sure he'll have less groupies around and would have to go back to strumming his own guitar.

All the best.

February 11, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jerad

There's nothing wrong with people preferring to date within their own race. That's just a personal preference. Personally, I like women of all races but to each their own. Mayer's expression of his preferences may have been ineloquent but I don't necessarily think it was racist. Now, thinking he could get away with saying the N-word in a major media publication was just moronic. He should've known that even if his intent wasn't racist the political correctness police would jump all over it.

February 11, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  65. druickd

This is a too sad case of someone who is less than his oeuvre, less than his art, less than his songs. Not altogether surprising considering that much of what occurs to creative people seems to come from a place outside of them. There was once a day when we could enjoy the music and not have to encounter the sorry soul at the source.

Get help John. Get help soon.

February 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mike Grove

Wow, I was really becoming a fan of this guy. Really liked his somwhat bad boy thing and the fact that he was a real player. Now I see he's obviously just a guy with low self esteem and not enough class to not kiss and tell. Poor Jesica, as if she dos'nt have enough on her plate. John Mayer, you're an ass. Hope you don't hang with my homey Rob anymore. I would'nt want him to get any on him. As for your amazing bandmates "shame on you"

February 11, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Lo W

Until I see him dating black women, and there are many beautiful black women, I will never purchase another John Mayer cd nor listen to his music anywhere. And by the way, I use love his music. Totally through with him. Sickening. It's white men like him who continue to perpetuate this racist thing in America. Disgusting. How in the heck did he grow up? He should know better by now.

February 11, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  68. cookspencer

Where is his apology to Jessica?? Where are all the women ranting about what he did to this woman?? No woman deserves to be disrespected and talked about that way!!!

February 11, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  69. LB

I'll preface this by saying I am a Black man. When he said what he said–the way he used the "n" word, he was just saying that he has no "hood-pass" be cause he can't use the "n" word (clearly). He was pointing out that he is not cool enough with us for that.

His comment about his "white-supremacist" genitals was a mis-guided joke about his preferences. Almost all of us have races and types of persons we generally are and aren't attracted to. And that's fine. It was a joke, a bad joke, and he's certainly not laughing now, but come on, give the guy a break. Let his music speak.

February 11, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  70. SorryDontCutIt

I think the roots to this sort of "cleverness quest" are based on Hip Hop. Now, before you start trippin' read closely.

Hip Hop, especially gangsta rap, has been such a damaging genre and its people, so far enough that it allows white kids, people like this Mayer dude to think its okay or somehow street-cred to use n-words and other racist, sexual stereotype angles in what they say.

This isnt just a problem in Mayer, its a problem amongst his age group and other kids below, I've seen it, heard it and its appalling as when I grew up we didnt have these attitudes and that was in the 80's.

So here's what I say – APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED.

February 11, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  71. malsings07

John,
    You can shut up now talking too much gets anybody in trouble your true feelings start to come out just play your guitar.

February 11, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. AB

Mayer didn't really say anything terribly problematic – he used a racial slur, but it was in the context of questioning the racial subtext of the term "hood pass." He wasn't being derogatory towards anyone, he was suggesting that another "acceptable" phrase might be derogatory.

He also said much, much weirder things in other parts of the interview.

I would suggest that we start paying more attention to ACTUAL racism in government policies, hiring practices, and the criminal justice system, rather than celebrities running their mouths.

February 11, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Liz

John Mayer is an idiot.

February 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Shawn

This douche bag has diarrhea of the mouth. He doesnt know when to shut up. There is nothing mysterious about some dumb ass that spills every intimate detail of every relationship he ever been in. What girl would want to be the next target of his giant mouth. He says he was trying to be clever? He comes off as ignorant. Now he just wants to shut up and play guitar. Thats what this idiot should have been doing the whole time. Nobody would care about this fool if it wast for the fact that he plays guitar. Stick with what you know big mouth Mayer!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Debbie

Don't be hypocrites. We are all racists is one form or the other. I dare anyone to look in the mirror and say to yourself "I'm not racist, I never curse a chinese driver, or stereotype blacks, or call someone trailer trash." It's all a form or racism – we ALL say it. And, so what? He said what he said, it doesn't make him any less of an awesome guitar player and performer. Why is it that Chris Rock, Chris Tucker, or any other black rapper or performer can say racist remarks about "White" people and get a laugh. Give the guy a break.

February 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Katie

This guy is a stupid piece of trash who needs to shut his mouth. I don't see what anyone sees in him. Not only is he physically unattractive but his personality makes him even more unattractive.

February 11, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Regina

Aside from being ridiculous and dropping the "N" bomb. John should realize that there is such a thing as TOO MUCH INFORMATION. We reeeally didn't need to know about the frequency of his "pleasuring sessions" The saying "Better to remain silent and be thought the fool than to speak and remove all doubt" applies here.

February 11, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Christin

Although I think John Mayer should learn to shut his trap, I dont think he is a racist. I am a white woman who is married to a gorgeous black man and I am proud of it. I grew up in the racist south and you should see how people react to me and my husband. Yeah, it sucks sometimes but oh well. Love is love, right? But, what is surprising to me is that more white people have embraced me than black people. Black women are the worst.

So before you start pointing your racist fingers at John Mayer think about your own racial issues. Saying the "N" word doesnt make you a racist. It is the context of how you say it and how you act towards another race that makes you a racist. I get called a "cracker" and my children are called "oreos" but I dont automatically assume those folks are racist. Being an idiot does not make you a racist.

February 11, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jai

I(black woman) remain a John Mayer fan and I DON'T believe he is a racist. He said some things that he now regrets as I know we all have, he has apologized for it and its time to move on. Let's focus on some issues that affect us directly.

I'm praying for you John, this too shall pass!!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Carlos

How more narcissistic a guy can be to have the nerve to appear shirtless in the cover of Rolling Stone showing off his extra nipples??
    Creepy!!

February 11, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Stephanie

I am SURE that NONE of you ACTUALLY KNOW him. People make mistakes. yeah, he broke down and made a big deal about it, but what celebrity doesn't?! Why aren't we bashing on all the other sutpid celebrities who "inspire" us and say and do stupid things all the time?! I am a musician and he is a GREAT musician and singer and let's just leave it at that.... let's not throw stones in glass houses because I KNOW we all have regrets and have pissed people off...let's bash Palin!!

February 11, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  82. deadbrokediva

I think what best sums up Jon Mayer, his (cough) "music", and what he has to say is Jimmy Fallon's hilarious impression of him on SNL, singing 'Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blaaaaaahhh...'

February 11, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  83. jdubbs

i agree w/ greg above. you really could be one of the greats. from one guitar player to another, just shut up and play. moron, yes. racist, i don't know...

February 11, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Straight Outta

We, the good people of LA county, hereby revoke any Hood or N****R pass anyone may have issued to Mr. Mayer.

We would, however, like to issue he and his "David Duke" penis an invitation to perform here in Compton any evening.

February 11, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  85. poorhouse

Haiti. People still dying, starving... John Mayer needs to talk about that. Until then, he's a speck of dust compared to HUGE issues going on right now. George Clooney said, within weeks after the star studed fundraiser, that TV/News would start changing the headlines & the sense of urgency would wane. ***I'm not trying to be self righteous, he needs to watch his mouth but I'm just so sick of uselessness.

February 11, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  86. deadbrokediva

Oh please. These "apologies" of his are publicist-forced, the proof being the first one was about the N-word, which everyone in showbiz knows is a career-killer. He never even mentioned his disgusting remarks about women. And that little act he put on onstage last night would be easier to buy if it wasn't 100% about HIM and he didn't have his backup band playing blues riffs throughout it, turning it into a joke.

The Jon Gosselin of music, ladies and gentlemen....

February 11, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Bill

John Mayer is just a guy, who got a break, made some records and got rich and didn't know else to do so he started talking. His mouth has gotten him into some nasty stuff and by the number of comments he'll need to do a lot of repair work to mend the hearts and minds of his fans. I for one am not one of them so it's kind funny reading some of the comments and wondering if this guy will ever get back to some kind of "normal" musical life of just playing and touring and trying to keep himself from being shown in some Tv or magazine article doing or saying something stupid again. I'm not sure but it will be interesting to see if the train wreck happens again, soon...

February 11, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Faith

I happen to be a huge fan of John Mayer. I think he is a brillant performer. Nothing has changed that. By the way, I am of African-American descent.

John, keep your head up. All is forgiven.

February 11, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  89. ster

He got swallowed up in the fame... he thought he was famous for who he is, not what his talent.

If he couldn't play the guitar, nobody would know him.

He thought he was famous, thought he was above all (ah hem... like Babs) and thought he could do anything.

I guess he finally realized he's a jester. A guitar player. An entertainer. AND THAT'S ALL.

February 11, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Ms. White

So, let me get this straight...Kayne gets labeled a racist for ruining Taylor Swift's night at the VMAs, but John Mayer used the N-word and he's not a racist? WOW! Call me crazy, but isn't that a complete oxymoron?!?!? Kayne isn't a racist, he's a jerk! John Mayer isn't just a jerk, he's both, a jerk and a racist!

He said exactly what he meant and in retrospect, he knows that he totally screwed up! Even if he meant it in a different light, the use of the word is going to stir media attention and stoke anger! There is no "insensitive" way to use the N-word! NO ONE has the right to use this word, not even Blacks!

By the way, you can keep your "white supremacist" genitals to yourself!We don't need you contributing any of your "seeds" to the growing number of hate groups in America!

Consider your "hood pass" as REVOKED!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  91. ga lady

it was very dumb as far as him being a rascist i dont think he really just wrote a check his butt cant cash and african americans do have the right to be offended by his remarks and his comments about jessica were way out of line however i truely belive this to be a major publicity stunt phe wants us to talk about him he wants to be in the press and everyone know negative energy is the quickest way to get there

February 11, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jane

This guy is an immature moron. What woman see in him is a total mystery to me.

February 11, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Frank

As Frank Zappa said, 'Shut up and play yer Guitar'

February 11, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Ronnie

Sounds like John Mayer , along with others , needs to
    find Jesus .

Thanks ,
    Ronnie

February 11, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Stevereeno

His best friend from the age 7 is black, tennis player James Blake as I've read.
    He snapped to and donated a half million dollars to Haiti.
    His co-producer and long time touring drummer is black, Steve Jordan.
    His back up singers are black.
    His organist and rythem guitar player's are black.
    His idols Buddy Guy and BB King happen to be black.

It doesn't square with the reality of his life that he'd be racist too.

A good read over of the article and really, in the context of his comments his point was to draw a challenge to someones question to him about the 'hood pass.' READ IT!

February 11, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  96. dopamine25

that's funny!! tried to combat being labeled a "douchebag" by being a douchebag. i think the interview showed the real john mayer and now he is trying a mea culpa since it outraged instead of charmed the public. i'm white and i know no white person is comfortable with using the "n" word unless it is part of their vernacular and accepted bu their peer group. and not finding black women sexually attractive?? are you kidding??

February 11, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Diego Sanchez

Such a classy, classy guy.

I used to like this dude but he is really an ignorant jacka55. Look at Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson, John, and learn how they handle themselves.

February 11, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Giselle

People need to lighten up a bit. The context of JM's use of the "N" word demonstrates that he's aware of the fact that hardcore black"hood" guys use that word - PROUDLY when referring to one another. That is a simple fact.

Also, people are attracted to whomever they are attracted to. Probably most prefer to date within their race. That is not being racist. That's just gravitating toward the familiar. That's natural for most. Others enjoy exploring the unknown. That's fine too. The only problem is when people are presumptious enough to try to impose their own preferences upon others.

That is something that David Duke would do, so the reference to him was unfortunate. But I consider it merely an over the top analogy used to inartfully illustrate the fact that John prefers blondes. That's not a crime. Lots of guys do.

And in his next breath, John actually totally contradicted his DD analogy by bringing up HRP. DD would not be proud of that observation. So, all in all, his comments were inartful, but he apologized and he deserves a pass; because it wasn't that serious and he's an artist, not a public speaker or politician.

February 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  99. David

Man, any little thing and "The Man" haters get out in force. Homosexuals like to say it all the time that you can't control who you're attracted to; and the simple fact is that alot of people be they black, white, orange, purple or whatever just aren't attracted to people of other colors. It doesn't make Mayer, who I don't like for many reasons other than this, a racist. It just makes him honest, in a tactless way.

February 11, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  100. geewhizwow

Every person has a right to their opionion
    even if it is a stupid inciteful one
    I will never buy his music again

February 11, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  101. J-Bone

Maybe you should just stop talking for a while, big guy.

February 11, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  102. WC in USA

I mean, I guarantee he will be tweeting again- seriously the only way to stop his big mouth is to block his access somehow

February 11, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  103. WC in USA

Can't he do everyone a favor and shut down his stupid Twitter account? If he's every heard of damage control- this would be a good first step.

February 11, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Benjamin

Only a complete idiot would say what Mayer said. So many celebrities are lacking in intelligence and class.

February 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  105. jackcameron

Everyone knows he's not a racist. He's an excellent musician and a guy who says what he thinks without a filter. People on here saying he has no class, don't really get the fact that if he had no class, he wouldn't have apologized at all.

February 11, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Renee

John Mayer made a stupid remark. I have to give it to him at least he realized what he did and how such language can hurt. What I have a problem with is a particular group of musican who use degrading language in their music toward women, especially black women. Then go on an award show and win, the first person they thank is God. Do you think God would want you calling women B***hes, Whores, Hoodrats, etc. Young men, young Black men should really look at themselves and asked themselves if patronizing a recording artist that disrespect to your Mothers, sister, aunts, wives, girlfriends is worth it.

February 11, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Josh

Someone says something dumb and people jump on the racist bandwagon... shocker.

I agree with Peete that there are people who legitimately deserve to wear the racist hat, and JM is not one of them. People apparently are losing the ability to discern anything these days...

February 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Head Diva In Charge

I find this guy real hard to figure out. Sometimes I think he deserves a slap, other times I think he deserves a hug. This time....I have NO clue! Maybe if he just shut his trap it would be better for everyone.

February 11, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  109. isoldelawyer

What sort of judgment do you expect from a man who dated Jessica Simpson? He is an overrated undertalented hack without regard to whatever his stupid personal beliefs may be.

February 11, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  110. lawl

yeah john, just shut it and play the guitar, that's how it should be with musicians.

February 11, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Dodi

Should have listened to Jennifer Aniston dude. But .....

February 11, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Kara

JUST STOP WITH THE RACE ISSUES PLEASE!!!!! WHEN WILL WE EVER MOVE PAST THIS???! ENOUGH. THIS IS NOT 1940 PEOPLE!!

John is a butt - doesn't give him the right to make racist comments, but there are many politicians on both sides of the chains that have said worse.

And YES, I am a Black woman who LOVES John Mayer's music. Do I like him personally? No. But who cares. He's not my lover. He's an entertainer...

February 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Toni MacTavish

My god the guy still gets pimples. He just ain't all that.

February 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Dj H.

What an moron, he has completely ruined his reputation, and possibly career. Guess what? I did not even know who he was until this story, his lost.

February 11, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Noemie

These people who write comments that say "get over it" are obviously not black women. How can I expect people who aren't black women (this includes black men too) to be sensitive on this subject. The poster WoW really summed it up. We know how most white men feel about dating us, we don't need it broadcast all over the internet. Those people who are saying "get over it" obviously have never experienced life as a black woman. We are constantly put down by not only people of different races but our own black men. We all know we live in a Eurocentric society, but we don't need our faces rubbed in it.

I don't know where all this hating on black women is coming from. Wesley Snipes, Tiger Woods and now John Mayer? His comments lacked tact. I know longer admire him as a musician, I just think he's a moron.

February 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Jaime

This is clearly a case of American Hypersensitivity causing people to over react to someone trying to be clever and having it come out awkward. I mean really, what was he saying?

"I usually attracted to a type of woman, but she's so amazingly attractive, that I'm attracted to her despite the fact that she's not my usual type."

That's all he was trying to say. He makes money being clever about his words, and in trying to do so, he's being crucified.

It is silly. Kudos to him for refocussing on playing his music, cause that's the main reason we like him, not for shooting off at the mouth.

February 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Tina

Let me clear something up for those of you who don't quite get it. This is the truth about the "N Word". When it is used as Ni$$a, it refers to any and every body. Yes even YOU can be a ni$$a, it means my boy, my dog, my best friend, someone I love, someone I respect, someone I will in some cases take a bullet for. When it is used and spelled Ni$$er, thats when it's a problem. Plain and simple...so you see ,"That's my ni$$a", truly means" That's my people". Understand the difference and deal with the truth. Ni$$er is the problem word Ni$$a is ok.

February 11, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  118. BoCoNut

The guy's a total cad.
    What woman with half a brain or any self respect would want to date him now?

February 11, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  119. APRIL

It's about time he gets knocked down a few pegs. He's a womanizing JACKASS!! The only reason he apologized is probably because his agent told him to!!!! MORON!!

February 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  120. SD

Jaime I feel the same way – I don't think he's racist he's just an idiot.

February 11, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Jon Audette

For the record - if John Mayer is EVER PUT ON-PAR with Clapton, please push me in front of his tour bus, as that is a world I don't want to see – and that NO ONE DESERVES.

February 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Tom

I personally think what he said was funny. People freak out over anything and everything these days. Get over it.

February 11, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Steve

I doubt John will read this but hey if you are.

Don't worry man. I too get what I call "Foot in mouth Disease" sometimes. I know how you feel right now. I would just try and hold back a little next time. I tend to say too much sometimes too. Then it gets miss understood.,plus people are always looking for ammunition to shoot you down.

Your a good guy with a good heart and your music reflects that. Keep your chin up bro.

Your fan and fellow musician.
    Steve

February 11, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Gym

John Mayer is a no talent hack. Maybe this will make him go away.

February 11, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  125. veronica

John Mayer is not black and the arrogance of his “they all like me comment”, coupled with the “I have a hood pass” means that somehow, somewhere he got hella confused and thought he could take it a step further and use a word in an interview that I’m sure must come out of his mouth often among his friends.. Glad we are now able to see who he really is. He is a classless, immature jacka$$.
    And you gotta think that he will be having solo sex more often (which eh apparently prefers anyway). Who wants to sleep with an immature !$%& who can’t wait to tell go brag to his friends.
    Additionally, I have purchased his albums and thought him talented. But he won’t see a dime of my hard earned money again.
    He got famous and rich by offering up to our society a type of bluesy music and voice that is not widely played on the radio. However, he is not unique(or for that matter original) and I will work to find those artist who appreciate ALL their fans and want to be recognized for their music and the work they do, not for whom they bed.

February 11, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Henry

I don't judge or throw stones. My house is made of thin glass. I'm not a fan, but admire what he has done for r&b acts and talent such as Dave Chappelle.

February 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Dick Pepper

Cant we all just get along? No
    One thing we can all agree on John Mayer's Music Sucks? Yes

February 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Mary Ann Hoogeveen

John is not going to change,every week he has something stupid to say.I think most of the public are getting sick of his constant antics.He is a good example that money doesn't buy class,maybe he should spend money on a shrink.

February 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  129. BEL

How long before this guy is in rehab? Any takers?

February 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  130. grandpa

John M proves the old saying "money can't buy class". What a moronic idiot.

February 11, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Susanne

Seriously, half of you are idiots on here.
    Can you REALLY tell me that you haven't seen beautiful people of another race but weren't attracted to them sexually?
    That's all he was saying. Plain and simple.
    Nothing racist about it.
    Beauty in the eye and sexual preferenceare two different things. Just like seeing a beautiful woman, but not being sexually attracted to her because she is brunette.
    Come on people.
    Wake up with your better than thou attitudes.
    It just comes down to preference, and he didn't make the best choices in words expressing that.
    BIG DEAL...MOVE ON.

February 11, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Guest

His music absolutely sucks, and based on his continual verbal vomit through all things media, his personality equally sucks. Mayer, just slink away forever please.

February 11, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  133. CEF

John Mayer has made a career out of channeling "Stevie Ray Vaughn". Like a lot of people, I resisted his music because I did not see any talent there (I can mimic too). I have one CD now, that I reget buying.
    Some people on this site are defending him by saying "blacks use the n-word-why is it so bad when whites use it?". The simple answer is "we never owned you'. There is a very good chance that one of your great grandfathers owned one of my great grandfathers and probably carried out acts of inhumanity against them. That's why the word hurts, and that's why I am no longer interested in John Mayer, or his music. One and done.

February 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Kmac

starzzguitar February 11th, 2010 1:42 pm ET

John Mayer better be careful, because these women who have had the misfortune to hop into bed with him just might spill their guts about his itty-bitty tool.... He is an idiot and has violated the "Man Code of Silence". Besides that, I can play guitar better than this monkey face.

doubt it......he is the eric clapton of our generation......get over it people

February 11, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  135. DjaksMom

Will this guy EVER just shut up???

February 11, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Traci

where Ken Sunshine when you need him?

February 11, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  137. stephanie

Johns' music is so soulful that I think that the next thing on his "to do"
    list is to have a genetic test done, I really do not wish to claim you as one of our own just be careful using that word you might offend "YO MAMA"

February 11, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  138. starzzguitar

February 11, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Nicky

Ok, so I am black woman who is upset about what he said but this white guy in my office says that John Mayer is allowed to get away with anything because he is a rocknrolla.... I can't wait to see who dates him next!

February 11, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Patrick

Nothing wrong with dating preferences, but the choice of words is pretty messed up. He was just being an idiot, no need to crucify him.

February 11, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  141. brent

Since when do we hold "rock stars" as the model's of appropriate behavior. They are supposed to say dumb things, act outrageously, get drunk in public, use bad language, get busted...do drugs. If the public is looking for squeaky clean role models, try some politicians or athletes. OK maybe not a good example...but I hope you catch my drift here.

February 11, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  142. k woods

Play your guitar, don't "try" to be clever. Learn a lesson and quit trying to shock people with your comments. In all these interviews you should have focused on your music instead of your lovelife. THAT would have been clever.

February 11, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Grace

Is there anything... anything at all... good about John Mayer?

He is stomach turning.

February 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Misti

I agree with Rebecca! He is going on tour, and needs attention so he can get ticket sales and record sales. Mainly just his face in the lime light. I use to like him a lot but now, I am overly offened. As a Africa American women, I thought he was cute and down for ladies of all colors becaue his music is blue sounded and soulful .He got to rock out with the best, but now they all might even be offended so, stop burning those vintage bridges John! Your gonna need them!

February 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Kim

Please be advised Mayer likely collaborated with musicians, which he offended, because of MONEY and to benefit himself in his still new career – not because he necessarily respected them. But, with all due respect, this is unfortunately common. The problem is not his preferences; the problem is the way in which he expressed himself – you do not expect someone with his musical accomplishments to spew such ignorance. He knew he was speaking with a reporter, so why would he reveal his obvious true (and offensive) beliefs in this manner? I feel his collaborations may suddenly dwindle...

February 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Sunshine

Contrary to another poster, I grew up in the hood and happen love John Mayer's music, I keep his CDs on repeat for awhile. Furthermore, my son (a young black man) is the one who hipped me to him (I love that he's not in a box). John said some ignorant things and I think he realizes that now, however, in reading the article I could tell he was trying to be facetious, nevertheless, there are just some things that a WMale can't get away with saying without being offensive.... I also understand preference, because I'd never date a WM, but who cares, right....

February 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  147. AKchic

Is he on something?

February 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Alicia

I like John Mayer. Although I disagree with using the language he used, it was actually nice to hear someone be politically incorrect for once. In a world of squeaky clean musicians like the Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift and Celine Dion, a little bit of a rockstar edge with some political incorrectness and honesty is a surprising breath of fresh air.

February 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  149. greg

DUDE..just shut up and play....I firmly believe that you can be one of the greats....with Clapton, Knoffler, Guy but you just got to get out of your own way....again just shut up and play...my guitar gently weeps....

February 11, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Tiffany

This is funny. I hope he is reading all this crap at home and laughing.

February 11, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Susanne

He needs to grow up & start to realize
    what a jerk he really is!!!

February 11, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Texas

GIVE ME A BREAK....
    All this hootin and hollerin over that "N" word?? Come on folks. I have black friends and I have listened to the rap music. The "N" word is only racist when it comes out of a WHITE mouth!!! I have been with my black friends in social settings and listened to them over and over again refer to one another as nigga this and nigga that!!
    Who cares if he wants to air his dirty laundry in "PLAYBOY"? HAVE ANY OF YOU SEEN THAT MAGAZINE? It is a magazine full of naked women. So why should he feel bad? Dirty interview in a dirty magazine. Find something else to b*tch about!!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Max

Not being physically attracted to another race does not make someone a racist. When did we all become stupid AND uber-sensitive?

February 11, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Max

Is this guy a politician or something?

What, now musicians need to be squeaky clean and politically correct too?

John Mayer is free to be himself and is answerable only to himself when it comes to his album sales.

People need to loosen up.

February 11, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Josh

Mayer has collaborated with a lot of great black musicians. He's not racist. He made the mistake of talking to the interviewer like his close friend instead of a guy that was going to paste his comments all over the media.

Mayer comes from down-to-earth roots and just isn't great at dealing with the media, which I think is refreshing. I'm tired of polished, politically-correct celebrities. They're all phony.

C'mon people – trying to label him as racist when he's not is just as bad as being racist. You don't know him. So he prefers white girls. Is that racist? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the majority of various races in this country tend to seek out their own. He's no different.

February 11, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Rebecca

And, yet again, John Mayer is getting what he wants....attention. All of these comments, tweets, tears, etc., are all just an effort to get attention and make headlines. He has no remorse.

February 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  157. teresa

MAYBE HE SHOULD 'just play his damn guitar and stop tweeting'

February 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Kat

When an artist or celebrity has an opportunity to comment about anything they desire to the media, particularly to the print media, I'm always hopeful they will choose something powerful and passionate to say...perhaps something life-changing, something helpful, something incredibly meaningful. And then...we have John Mayer spewing garbage and completely ruining his opportunity to be thought-provoking and intellectual. Not only that, he leaves a human train wreck in the wake. What a dork. Cry and apologize and hug your guitar all you want. You're still a dork.

February 11, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Bernardo Gui

Frank Zappa said it best:

SHUT UP AND PLAY YOUR GUITAR !!

February 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  160. re-DONK-ulous

Hate to think of the firestorm had he NOT sincerely apologized. After all...so many entertainers, reporters and politicians say horrible, hateful things and never apologize and are given no reprimand...it's too bad that someone has apologized for their actions and is getting even more condemned for APOLOGIZING than if he had just let the dust settle. John Mayer is extremely talented and intelligent....and clearly sorry for what he has said. Those of you who can't accept his apology have issues that you need to deal with. Grow up. Allow the acceptance of an apology into your abrasive thinking, God knows if YOU were to apologize for something you did or said, you would hope that your sincerest apology would be accepted. JOHN MAYER...you have not lost a fan in me. This will pass...play that guitar the way God intended for you to play it...sing your FACE OFF. You are not tarnished...and even if you *are* you will polish up nicely, given a little time. Much love, Carm

February 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Jeff

In my opinion, I think he was just trying to make a failed attempt at being witty/sarcastic/funny. I actually thought he was really funny on his guest spot on Chappelle's Show. He's always tried to "have fun" with the media and has made comments that some might find distasteful. I certainly don't condone any use in any context of the word, but I think if you look at Mayer throughout all of his media coverage, he's always used sarcasm to, in my opinion, thwart the whole idea of "celebrity". Could be a wall he puts up to protect himself from the never ending eyes of the media, or it could just be his way of having fun. Either way, it seems he learned a lesson in PR.

February 11, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  162. pj

So what is the difference between a white person using the N word and minority folks using "whitey" "honky" etc.......? If we are going to strive for racial sensitivity (and we should), shouldn't it be across the board? It's these disparities that really help to keep racism alive and kicking in all parts of the country (not just the South).

February 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Greg Dayton

At my jaded stage of life I'm now entertained by the "outrage" when an entertainer/artist does something stupid. When will people realize that all these people have clay feet? I, for one, am glad to no longer pay much attention to the personal foibles of my heroes. I'm a lot happier sticking to the communication they really intended, which comes from their imagination through their instrument.

I suspect that if Playboy gave nearly anyone an interview for 30 minutes, they'd be hard pressed to not say something idiotic when pressed about their love life. The reason Mayer screwed up this interview must be because he doesn't have a proper PR machine like The Monkees did.

I think the actions of John Wilkes Booth, Fatty Arbuckle and even Buddy Rich make this seem pretty trivial when it comes to entertainers behaving badly. Just because you like someone's music doesn't mean you'd like being married to them.

February 11, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  164. monica

i dont feel sorry for John Mayer, he deserve to feel bad about what he said. not everyone dates out of their race and thats cool, but using the N-word is not cool. he really needs to feel sorry for his actions. He does not have a hood pass, cuz ppl in the hood dont listen to his music.

February 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Johnson

He's a narcissistic megalomaniac. That's all.

February 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Chickenhawk

Despite his obvious talent, this guy has some serious issues with women. Seems to view them as objects rather than people, and has attachment issues. Time for therapy and more importantly, some much needed maturity.

February 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  167. garbo

Just keep your head low... People forget...

February 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Nick

Who cares what John says? As he says, he should stick to playing guitar and stop trying to be clever. John is the real deal musically–although I wish he'd stop recording sappy, melodramatic, bubblegum and stick to what he does best, which is play screaming, scorching rock guitar licks with a level of mastery not seen in a new talent for decades.

February 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Saly

The interview in question is so offensive and stupid in so many levels. It is one thing to use the "N" word to be hip or fashionable, but the entire tirade about his turn off of black women is beyond words. It is sad that he was stupid enough to say this in public. It's REALLY, REALLY sad that he feels this way about women.

February 11, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Anne

Good musician, but not a very classy guy. You can't have everything.

February 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  171. WoW

WoW is really all I have to say. I agree with someone else who said he has the right to a preference. The hardest thing is that as a BW we already know this about a lot of WM. They don't need to announce it to the world. Nobody should, your actions show trust me. It's offensive and to be quite honest hurtful. And yeah he's being honest but saying the Nword or calling his private a "white supremacist" is a tad ridiculous and inappropriate don't you think. I like John Mayer and I love his music, but now I don't want to listen to him or support him. Not because he's not attracted to women like me, because I DON'T THINK HE'S RACIST at all. He's a man who just doesn't think ever I won't support him because he's careless, insensitive, and an way to arrogant. You are in the light (hollywood) where you hold the position to make a difference. Why do your antics always have to be negative? Your words an actions affect people as a lover of people all in all, you need to watch what you say. Sure I accept like we all should his apologies but really Mayer when is it going to stop.

February 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Jaime

I don't think he's really a racist. I just think he's an arrogant moron.

February 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  173. D

Fantastic, another medal gets added to his repertoire of being an overrated cheesy hack. Well Done Sir...

February 11, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Tracy

Not the first time he said it and it won't be the last (he'll just do what everyone does, say it around close 'friends'). Not surprised he said it because he always seems to have diarrhea of the mount (just ask his former girlfriends). Like those before him – you apologies after it hit print .... next time (because there will be) try thinking before you speak. Not saying you are a racist just an idiot.

February 11, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  175. KLKellner

You know, you without sin, cast the first stone... We all do stupid things and later regret them. At least this guy is man enough to realize it and stand up and apologize for it. He has had a rough year or so and who hasn't let their emotions get away with them at one point and lose your sense of focus?

And on the technology thing; No, one should not air out their dirty laundry in public – and the internet is very public. But, again, how many of us have made these same mistakes and learned to regret them? Our modern technological society can be pretty intoxicating and unfortunately, in the heat of an emotion, you throw something out there – but you can't take it back... now you want to hang they man after he has allowed us into his life? Shared with us?

Give the guy a break – he's trying to figure it all out, mend a wounded heart and still entertain fans whom he has allowed to live within his personal boundaries. My hats off to him and God Bless... Heal well John... this fan appreciates what you are going through and supports you – even when you are being a typical human being.

February 11, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  176. stephanie

John Mayer is a sad child with low self-esteem hence the need to
    always put others down, thinking it will build himself up..we all know people like him and meet them everyday in our daily lives. He says exactly how he feels and we should be happy to know the " devil within". I for one am happy that I now KNOW the true John......NO APOLOGY MOST DEFINETLY NOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  177. pete

Another thing this moron needs to apologize for is "Your body is a Wonderland."

February 11, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  178. RAW

Americans would rather be lied to then have someone express honest opinions. You don't have to like or agree with what he believes. He freely expressed himself instead of being two faced.

February 11, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  179. Eric

Mayer is an idiot and I will never support him. Am I being too harsh? Probably, but I remember all of those who had him in their concerts and performances. Many of them Black. So he was playing with blacks at their concerts but hatin them on the inside?

What a loser and a hater. Now my opinion of J Aniston goes down. Because who would want to be with such a loser? She might be gone now but she was trying to make it work multiple times.

February 11, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  180. lynn

John, John,
    I have lived with racism and it is not pretty but I personnaly do not think of you as a racist. You are not my type (young & full of yourself) but I don't hold it against you. Maybe you were having a moment when your mouth smarted your brain.
    Keep playing your guitar (you are good) and keep your private life and comments to yourself. No one needs to know about your napolm or your genitalia for you are so young that you will see that there will be others out there better than what you have already had.

February 11, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  181. carizma

Whenever these issues arise, I am truly sick and tired of the lot of those of you who love to state that the vast majority of blacks eagerly embrace and use the derogatory N word. I have never used it nor condoned its use by anyone and never will. I have also heard numerous intelligent blacks denouncing the word but their voices and concerns are rarely, if ever, relayed by the mainstream biased media which prefer to report the rants of rap artists and other entertainers in such a way as if their so called 'positive spin' on the word accurately reflect all blacks' feelings. I am just as mad at John Mayer as I am at rap artists and anyone else who use the word.

February 11, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  182. rftallent

It's too bad that this has happened when it was so avoidable. We all have preferences as to whom we date, but Mayer's comments show that he has a lack of class. It's hard to believe that any respectable woman would go out with him now when she realizes that her personal relationship with him could end up on the internet. Napalm indeed! Cudos to Jennifer Annison for moving on. Mayer needs a good lesson from "Madea"!

February 11, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  183. SaJuan

Whatever Dude! How many people (famous) have got on tv or in performances and got "choked up" because they did wrong. Then turn around a mont or years later and do the same thing again! Those lame apologies and choked up crocodile tears don't work with most anymore. I don't care what anyone else does, but I personally nor anyone in my family will support John Mayer again. I don't care who it is or color... if you make racist comments (whether black or white) I don't support you! We have enough ignorance in the world without someone adding to when they know better NOT to.

February 11, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  184. Traci

"My stupid mouth has got me trouble...."

Mayer's die-hard fans will always be there for him!

This too shall pass.