February 9th, 2010

Tom Cruise gears up for another 'Mission'

Fans of superspy Ethan Hunt and the IMF, mark your calendars for Memorial Day weekend, 2011: Tom Cruise is gearing up for "Mission: Impossible IV." Paramount announced today that J.J. Abrams, who directed and co-wrote "M:I III," and Cruise will produce the film, have collaborated on the story, and are searching for a director.

Obviously, Paramount has faith that Abrams can revive a flagging franchise: his reboot of "Star Trek" last year brought in $385 million in worldwide box office, four Oscar nominations, and generally good reviews.  Not that the "M:I" films are failing – the first three combined for $1.4 billion worldwide, though "M:I III," back in 2006, had the biggest budget and the lowest grosses of the trio.  No word yet whether Ving Rhames will return as Ethan's longtime pal and cohort (and my favorite character in the series), smooth computer expert Luther Stickell.

1. Ismail

Yea and I thought the setting was Nigeria to take out this "Bad King" and save...

February 11, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lol

I *WOULD* have considered watching this drek if only it hadn't had Tom Cruiser starring in it...or in it at all. Just remember, when Tom Cruise is on camera, the camera looks...UP!

February 11, 2010 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. David

COOL! Another movie of his to avoid...

February 10, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mr miller

tom is great! and so far he hasn't said anything racist so that's a plus

February 10, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jodi Goad

about to leave for home...just wanted to say to chrisrosenquest that I have all three of the Bourne Movies, but I agree the first one was the best...AND I didn't know that Tom Cruise directed this one. Isn't it great that we can learn something when we read the comments? Thanks for the info....JG

February 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sandy

Tom Cruise may be a little over the top in his personal and religious life, but when it comes to acting...he is a genius!!!!!

February 10, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. shirley

Some of the effective was not believable and i don't like his acting
    why make another mission impossible. I like the old one mission
    impossible with (GREG MORRIS and all the other actor me and my
    husband and children could wait for Saturday so we could watch it.

February 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tim

The only decent movie in the series was the first one. Each has gotten progressively worse.

February 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Louis

Tom Cruise won't be winning any academy awards, on that much I think we agree. Where many of us differ is the ability to appreciate what ever it is that a person DOES bring to the screen and/or profession. Not many out there can boast of a career as successfull as Tom's. So for those who don't like him, he was never out there to please you anyways. You're just mad because the world doesn't revolve around your pathetic and selfish needs to feel that it's all about what YOU like.

February 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jodi Goad

Wellll, I really like Tom Cruise in all of his movies, he is a character in a "story", his personal life should not effect what anyone feels about his craft as a very good actor. That's how I feel you narrow-minded people out there.

February 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrisrosenquest

Doug Linman
    He directed the first Bourne movie (which was the best one).

February 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Majority of public

Maybe Tom Cruise will get killed by one of the typical unbelievable fight/crash/blow-up/jump/love scenes and he can finally stop re-hashing this movie.

February 10, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. I love Sandra

Just great. But I'm sure I'll eventually watch it. : \

February 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Roland

***SPOILER ALERT*** I work in the film industry and read the script: he renounces his faith in Scientology and gets killed by a Buddhist crime syndicate.

February 10, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. headdivaincharge

Tom does pay well, must be his Scientology money. But yes, I think the question is WHY? Isn't he done with this? I am all done with Tom myself, it pains me to watch "Top Gun" and know what type of person he turns into.

February 10, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  16. John E Lexington KY

Making Cruise the Mel Gibson of...well, same career pattern. We can expect Tom to write and direct "The Passion of L. Ron Hubbard", except he'll play the lead role, flogged to hamburger by skeptical Hollywood reporters with pens.

Cruise's little boy voice, action toy face and complete inability to act character of any kind is just so dull I don't know how he gets financing, but then Hollywood is largely nuts. Mel's still working too, isn't he, though he looks like the drunken janitor you're afraid to have around your daughter. Doesn't speak well of making huge stars of 20 year old Adonises. Look how they grow up.

February 10, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  17. Alina

yeah! I look forward to seeing Tom Cruise in any movie– but he is really great in the MI series!!

February 10, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  18. Debra R

I stopped after the first one....

February 10, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jessica*

One question... Why?

February 10, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. doctorsinn

Ving will be back because Tom Cruise pays well!!!

February 9, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |