February 9th, 2010

No longer worried about Jack on '24'

testing caption
testing caption

Day 8: 10 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Attention Bauerites, you know the drill. You know each season of "24" has its customary episode where the story simply does not dictate much heart-pounding action. We've seen it before right? So, was THIS the one?

It seemed like it as President Taylor and President Hassan negotiated terms. I barely batted an eye.

The Dana/Kevin debacle continues, and my annoyance with that storyline has officially reached critical mass. I've reached the point where I can check my voicemail messages (sans Bluetooth), boil eggs and/or do laundry simultaneously whenever Dana and Kevin are on screen. I enjoy those two that much.

As a reader commented a few weeks ago, this duo is the show's equivalent to Jar Jar Binks in "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" and I agree completely. They are worthless.

The Russian mob story seems to be intriguing - we're starting to connect the dots there - but that doesn't move me much either. President Hassan's story is picking up some steam as he is forced to watch his back after the assassination plot, but generally, the episode was rolling along at "ho-hum" speeds.

So as the story chugged along, I had come to the conclusion that this latest hour of "24" was the show where action would take a backseat to plot development. I actually thought we were watching "that" episode. I made peace with it all, and just watched without the usual fatigue that all true Bauerites suffer from as we watch each week.

But just as I settled in, at about 9:43 p.m. E.T., Renee got decked and the episode shifted into overdrive. In a wild twist, her fit of rage and retaliation was both a surprise and a heart-stopping moment as she stabbed Jack in a quick turn.

Jack's been stabbed? No way! Surprised? Certainly. Worried? Not at all, because we all know Jack will be just fine. No matter where the wound is, no matter what the weapon is, and no matter what gun-wielding lunatics take control of the situation, we're cool and so is he.

Somewhere deep within your "Bauerdom," you know he's going to be alright, and I think that's where the show's writers may be going wrong this season. Even as we see Jack in yet another torture situation in next week's preview, we've grown cynical and numb to his plight. We all know at some point he's gonna be freed by CTU operatives, or he'll kill everyone single-handed while still bound and gagged with Chloe's help as she unlocks doors over the Internet via his PDA - or something like that.

I know I'm being harsh but don't get me wrong - Jack's rebirth of the cool-in-the-face-of-terrorist threats was refreshing... a few days (seasons) ago.

Quite frankly, we simply need more because we've seen him do it all. He's overcome just about everything, but I actually think the show's writers have something very savvy up their sleeves.

I've been saying that for about three weeks now, and I believe next week will only bring us closer to more shocking action and plot twists. I simply have to believe that based on my love for the show. So, I'll remain faithful and you should too Bauerites. (Cue up the Journey song) Don't stop believin'!

Loved, kinda liked or hated the show? Let us know.

Post by:
Filed under: 24 • television

1. justin

After Day 6, I really considered my future with 24. Should I really bother? I was nervous about an in between mini story, setting up Day 7, but Day 7 revitalized my feelings about the series and became one of my favorite seasons, and I was swept up into this season with the same kind of excitement. The first 4 hours of this season brought me such excitement (although looking back, I'm not sure if it was because 24 was back or if it was that good). Maybe both, because lately, I have been nearly bored with it. I'm giving them credit by hoping that something is on the horizon. I guess it doesn't really matter because I'll still finish the season. I just wish I could enjoy it more at this point.

February 10, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. zz

i'm hoping it gets better... maybe they'll bring back tony. all jack needs besides the fake glasses is bushy eyebrows, moustache and a cigar. he gets tortured or tortures someone every season. I sure hope the writers come up with something more creative. more chloe, less dana & kevin. I change channels when they're on. renee, i really don't care. what about cole ortiz? where's that story line going? not crazy about the president either–last year's story line with her crazy daughter was better.

February 10, 2010 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jaimon

The problem with this season so far is there are no characters like Tony Almeida that the audience is invested in, but who just-may-die-for-real. We all know Jack will pull through, but what works is if a secondary character that the audience really like is place in mortal danger. Pretty much the only one left is Chloe and well, we'll see if they can get to her in her cubicle in the underground bunker that is CTU:NY

February 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mimi

I loved it the first time I saw the first season, and I still love it now. The only thing I find annoying or not believable is the Dana character being allowed to answer her cell phone while on duty at such important & sensitive work environment. I work at a law firm where use of personal cell phones during work hours is not allowed. So it is a little far fetched to see Dana receive frequent calls on her cell and then being able to step away from her desk during crucial time.

However, she is a great actor – the expression of frustration & tension on her face is so very real. But I lost it when she gave Kevin the keys to her condo – for someone so smart at what she does, she actually believed he'll leave after a day of rest in her condo. Unreal!

February 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. willie mays

You could probably develop a really cool movie script, but c'mon; the fundamental premise of the show is that we see it in "real" time: 24 one-hour episodes. A 24-hour movie? Really?

February 9, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Overby

I was never a fan of StarTrek, it was the same episode every week (does invisible force shield and the need to power up to save the ship ring a bell???) but as soon as they started making the movies, it became a huge hit. I think that's what's needed with 24, unfortunately they've done everything by now and it's become a TV bore, but no-commercials and time to create new plots and 2-3 hours of non-stop and politically incorrect action would be fantastic and couldn't miss being a hit.

February 9, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. L

LOVE the show. Even though some of the story lines are sometimes a little "absurd" (Dana/Kevin – how'd she get a job at CTU ??). The action, acting and pace of the show keep us on the edge of our seats. Of course it's not realistic – it's not supposed to be – it's ENTERTAINMENT! Hope it keeps up!

February 9, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JA

I was hoping that Kevin's scumbag buddy was going to do us all a favor and shoot him last night while they were in the police storage locker. No such luck. That storyline is going nowhere and needs to be abandoned quickly. And please please please give Chloe more to do than make that pouty face that she does so well. Enjoyed seeing the frantic, psychotic side of Renee, but a little too unrealistic about how quickly Jack recovered from his stab wound...

February 9, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Overby

This season is pretty much a snoozer, not much action, and not much of a plot., no one is 'likable' and so it's hard to care what happens to any of them.

February 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. willie mays

Well, let's understand a couple of things. Logical reality has never been the show's strong point and there have been times I'm certain they avoided it just to screw with viewers' heads ("Dana, the world is about to explode and only you can find the rods." Dana: "Okay. (cell rings), "but, first, I gotta take this.") Next, most/all of the show is probably already shot so it's going to be what it's going to be.

For better or worse, the show is a marathon, not a sprint. If you have 24 episodes of any show (and, the back-to-backs are really two separate episodes), it takes time to build to whatever point we're building to. I suspect the Dana/Kevin thing is going somewhere eventually (besides off of the cliff towards which it's headed full steam). I suspect the British envoy is going to be a bad guy (re-located Russian or for the money) or will lead to a bad guy because there's no other reason to spend that much time on the president over-informing him.

But we're all correct when we know Jack's not going to die. Lone Ranger doesn't die. Hawkeye doesn't die. If Jack was going to die, last season's absolutely-terminal-no-way-in-heck-it's-over disease was the way, but . . . here's Jack!

So try this (with apologies to Tom Clancy's escalation and promotions of Jack Ryan). At the end of the "day," Jack will take the job as the new director of CTU. There's no way Chloe goes from part-time sub/temp to director in one day. That even defies Dana logic. Jack runs the show next year (this is the president who would appoint him!), somebody else takes the Jack role, and that person can get killed off or screw up or something in like hour 17 and Jack has to get back into the game. Chloe stays, Renee gets help and stays as either Jack's new girl/wife and/or his top assistant, Arlo has some real possibilities and Dana goes back to battling Cylons. It would be different.

For this year, be patient; it's really still early.

February 9, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Belle

I agree.... the Dana character is unbelievably annoying to me. Unless she turns out to be the daughter of the Russian with the nukes, she is worthless. Maybe Chloe will toss her down a flight of stairs. I am also hoping that the bluetooth headset Hastings is always wearing will explode and someone worth a darn will head up CTU...what about David Palmer's brother, who was last seen being wheeled away on a stretcher or maybe even Martha Logan....she could be out of the mental hospital and ready to take on the world!!

24 used to be the most exciting, unexpected, roller coaster ride of a TV show...now it's just okay. Same thing, different day and different circumstances. Maybe everything has been done that can be done. Maybe it's time Jack and Renee get on a jet, fly to California and live happily ever after with Kim and her family.

February 9, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CT-U

I started watching last night's episode but fell asleep about half way through. 'Nuff said.

February 9, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. nv24watchers

My wife and I love watching 24. I have to admit this Dana/Kevin deal really sucks, Chloe should drop her down an elevator shaft or something.

We can't wait until Renee & Jack start stabbing, shooting, cutting off limbs, dropping bad guys off of tall buildings and in general, torture everyone we don't like on the show.

After all, it's just TV!

February 9, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bo

I've so far liked this season, but I must agree that the Dana/Kevin thing irritates me. Maybe this side story would matter (and maybe make me care) if it were happening to a character we've come to care about over the last few years (Chloe for example).

February 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mel

Love the show but HATE the Dana/Kevin thing and I just roll my eyes whenever they are on. First of all, you can't tell me a high-level agency like CTU would hire Dana not knowing about her shady past. This is the most Big Brotherish agency in the world and you think Dana could just walk in with a new name, new identity, new everything and get a job there? I don't think so. It's not logical at all, or am I missing something? The plotline really pisses me off.

February 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sarah Phelps

I have to agree. This season is turning into a real snoozefest. I miss the old chemistry and exciting plots so much. Guess I'll be hauling out Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD to remind myself how good this show really was (and hopefully can be again).

February 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Deb

For my part, I cannot believe the writers are lame enough to include yet another "Jack gets tortured by the bad guys" episode this year. Really, does this have to be a standard in all seasons now? It's boring, not to mention sadistic.

Love Jack, but when he's kicking a**, not getting his kicked.

And sorry, even for Jack, walking around without so much as a wince after getting stabbed in the stomach is wildly unbelievable. That can be a fatal wound and certainly easy to bleed out with. It's not a "slap a band-aid on it and go" sort of thing. If you're going to have Renee stab Jack, GO with that story!

February 9, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  18. C. Robert Dimitri

Only one thing will save this show at this point: zombies! They've ruined the gravitas, so action-comedy is all that's left. Just imagine it: Zombie Nina, Zombie Mason, Zombie Marwan...everyone comes back!

February 9, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Shane in Columbus

Guys! I know it's slow, but it's only 11:00p! Nothing good happens after midnight, so you know it's coming!

I agree that the Dana's plot needs to go away. I told my girl last night "Here we have a Mid East peace agreement, international intrigue, scary nuclear rods on the black market....and a couple of hillbillies!"

I can't NOT watch the show. Even if Jack is laying around on the couch, babysitting. I mean....that's my life now too!

February 9, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kbmaestro

Sorry guys, fell asleep. How long is it going to take someone to dsicipline Dana about those numeruous personal calls while she's on the clock? I'm trying hard to become a fan, but it's getting difficult.

February 9, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mike in NJ

Sorry, I stilll watch 24, and it is better than a few of the previous seasons, but Burn Notice has this show beat like a (you can fill in the inappropriate 'blank' here.)

More realistic, less manufactured stupidity, better characters, and Michael Westen would make Jack wish he had his mommy and his blankey.

February 9, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  22. M

Replying to Ghost of Tony Almeida: that list is hilarious. I would definitely watch if I caught wind that Dana was going to be caught and tortured! Dana and her ex make CTU look like a joke.

February 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tavo

For our friend asking about Tony:
    Tony Almeida was brought up last season, he didn't die and was given a trnquilizer instead of a lethal dose, a bad guy recruit him and he was working with CTU last season, Bill didn't have the same luck, he is gone, and that is really bad because this new guy "Bubba" is really bad, I mean the whole New York CTU unit sucks, except Chloe of course...
    Dana,Hastings,Kevin,Arlo and Cole Ortiz, oh-my-gosh, worst cast ensamble ever for a 24 season, we need Aaron and Tony fast beacuse this season is sinking....
    Anybody up for a facebook group called "Dana/Kevin please be abducted by aliens and never come back to 24"

February 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  24. M

I've been a '24' fan since the beginning but I have to admit, this year's plots, sub-plots, characters and writing is boring me. Don't get me wrong, Keifer Sutherland is an excellent actor, but nothing about this season is drawing me in to continue watching week after week. The Russians don't seem truly a frightening threat, Dana/Kevin plot is unbelievable and BO-RING, and Renee has always just annoyed the heck outta me anyway. So the fact she is a main character this season irks me. She is one actress I wish had NOT come back. I miss the character development and supporting actors in the earlier seasons. While I understand new actors have to come in due to new storylines and characters leaving/dying off, it was like throwing in a whole new cast and expecting viewers to just love them. Please '24' writers... look at what worked in the earlier seasons, including the fact that every CTU employee except the Director and Chloe do not have to be under the age of 30.

February 9, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ceg

Ok I'm addicted, this season like the last two season is packed with action and drama.

February 9, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Barbara

I completely agree with your assessment of the season thus far. My husband and I have bemoaned that the show may have "jumped the shark" for us. It definitely has for him, he was reading an article in the New Yorker while watching, but I'm holding on. The Renee thing did pull me back in a bit this week but then I saw the previews for next week and though, "we've seen this before." Ugh. It's getting boiler plate and I really could quit right now...but I'm hoping it's going to surprise and shock me back in. I'm hoping you're right, but it sure doesn't seem like it. Oh, and I equally despise the Dana/Kevin plot. Ick. She totally bugs. That hair, that dress, everything. Thanks!

February 9, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jane

I'm still pretty happy with the characters and the story line. One sure thing about 24 – you never are sure where it's going, but it's usually someplace interesting! Still a Jack fan after all these years!

February 9, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ghost of Tony Almeida

Some suggestions for spicing up the show:
    – Kevin and his buddy are ID'ed for the robbery, run off to Canada, get married
    – Dana gets busted for her involvement, is tortured by FBI for info, nobody notices or cares.
    – Jack actually has to use the bathroom once in 24 hours, loses a leg while on booby-trapped toilet (but is still able to elude the Russians on foot)
    – Rene continues her rampage, stabs anyone who looks or sounds like Yakoff Smirnoff
    – The ghost of Bill Buchanan inhabits Hastings' bluetooth, convinces him to prank call President Taylor; Hastings eventually committed.
    – Hassan captures brother, makes him get a haircut.
    – Kim Bauer gets a divorce, marries Cole Ortiz.

February 9, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Murrphee

You just can't say anything good about CTU when they hire someone like Dana and put her in such a high position. Jack would have found out what a fraud she was in 5 minutes. For that matter, Chloe would have done it in 2. And to have hired some Bozo as head of CTU? This guy clearly isn't trained for CTU type of work no matter how times and procedures have changed. It's like putting a kid in to do a man's job.
    I have to say, these are not the most exciting first few episodes of any season of 24 I have seen. The Dana story line just makes me laugh when she is on. It is just plain stupid. Just think, someone in her position just caves to some old boyfriend because she is afraid of being exposed and lsoing her job? Well, if she doesn't get with the program, she will lose it for not caring about what is happening out in the field. What does she love more...herself or her job?
    I'm sure things will pick up but it's hard to watch someone like Dana not having Jack and Renee's back out in the field. Sounds like they aren't very important to Dana. A very stupid story line and it has brought CTU DOWN to a new level.

February 9, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Zeek

Bring back Bill and Tony. Stranger things have happened.

February 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Michelle

Totally agree. Waiting for Baurer to kick some butt and really dont care about Dana- How can she work for CTU and have a past that they dont know about- really far fetched!

February 9, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Rose

I also could not believe that Taylor told the British what was going on down to the detail that CTU had an undercover operation underway! How stupid is that?
    Dana is pathetic and not interesting at all...I can't get invested in her fate.
    Seeing that Jack will be tortured in the next episode bummed me out because as others have said, been there – done that.
    Of course, I will keep watching and keep hoping that things will get more interesting/clever/new and certain ridiculous story lines will run their course.

February 9, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Nikki

I LOVE 24! Just when you think all hope is gone, something happens and the action starts all over again. I love how they have more than one story line going on during the show. Also how they bring old characters back and they are part of the new story.

February 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Bill Sigler

No more e-mails Bill

February 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Elijah

Ya know, DYLAN........ I didn't notice that. Maybe you're right !

February 9, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Nam-nair

It's time for Jack to die.

February 9, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Karl

I'm actually getting a little bored with this season. Right now I think the show peaked with seasons 4 & 5 (the first four episodes of season 6 were well done, though). SInce then, it seems like the writers are trying to stretch out story lines, introducing plotlines and characters that it takes too long to figure out what purpose they serve. I still watch, but I'm not nearly as entertained as a was a few seasons ago.

February 9, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  38. a bit bored

After being a faithful watcher of 24 I am getting a little bored and I find myself surfing the net while it's on–I never did that before.

But when Damages comes on I put away all the distractions. Heckofa show.

February 9, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. stoccata

Matt, love your comment: "I still think the writers owe me for offing Curtis and Edgar so they can get on the ball and drop a bus on those two idiots ASAP." I couldn't believe it when they took Curtis out. Then I realized, that's the 24 mantra – except for Jack, everyone is expendable. Love your solution to the Dana/Kevin situation. Yeah, a big freakin' Greyhound drops out of the sky.

February 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Nick

Been a big fan but it's kind of boring so far.
    The abusive BF story line gotta go.
    I DVR the show so I pretty much fast forward that whole
    scene.
    Hope it gets better

February 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  41. lynda garcia

I see I am not the only one who is turned off by the dana/kevin storyline. I think some producer is sleeping with katie sackhoff to put her in 24. She is so unecessary in this season of 24. I am beginning to think someone wants to expose her to the national public

February 9, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jenny

I think the purpose of the Kevin and Dana plot is really about Chloe. When Dana gets caught, Chloe will be up to speed on the new technology and CTU will have no choice but to promote Chloe. Chloe is the only one Jack trusts, will work with and knows how Jack thinks. Be patient... Dana will be gone soon....

February 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Donna

I thought Tony Almeida was killed. Someone please clarify for me. Thanks.

February 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Dave

Watched the show once and didnt care for it. NCIS is much better.

February 9, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tony

This season is still a snoozer. It's as if the writers ran out of good plots, so they've created too much contrast/contradiction between too many characters which leave us with a ho hum story line. That squirt gun moment was outrageously dumb.

February 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  46. dylan

there is obviously going to be some sort of big twist coming up soon...that's just the way this show is. As for the whole Dana/Kevin fiasco – it may turn out better than most think. If you recall, while Kevin and his friend were driving away from the heist drinking their fine liquor, they drove right past a semi-truck that was parked on the side of the road (they made a point to have that semi in the full frame of a couple shots) – likely, its the same semi that has the uranium (remember, the driver was told to get off the road and stop). It would be interesting to see if Kevin accidentally stumbles into something and becomes a big player in the overall scheme.

February 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Larry J

Love 24 – I kinda missed a lot of last season so wasn't real interested. The first few episodes this year really grabbed me and I'm hooked again. Yes, there has been a little lull in the action for a while but I can see it's setting up the plot. I think the last 15 minutes last night were a good indication of what's to come and I can't wait. Love the show!

February 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  48. concerned

24 has done what I never thought possible: it's created characters and stories that I simply don't care about. A plot to blow up the U.N.? A derailed peace process? A foreign president doing what thug dictators have done since time immemorial? A Russian mob selling uranium to the highest bidder? Who cares. I'm a huge fun, but am getting close to writing off this season and reclaiming my Monday nights.

February 9, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Ren

Dana and Kevin are about as bad as Kim Bauer. Enough already, who cares, I mean come on, we are supposed to believe that someone got a job at ctu in a senior level position with some skeletons in their closet. Fine I can believe that with the politicians but not with her. Ugh, I wish someone would off all three of them and let's get back to Renee having her own freakout...

February 9, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Ron

Agreed, Jack can't die especially since there will be a movie. This does add a little, "yah we've been there." If there was no movie coming, I would have fully expected Jack to finally meet his demise. Everybody else is expendible. I do like how they are trying to build up the Russian mob boss. Very cold, very brutal. Do keep this in mind regarding the boring boyfriend girlfriend bit. You know somehow at the end Jacko is going to give duder a whipping!

February 9, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Simone

Everyone knows how this works... Give them some time... Even Dana and Kevin. As annoying as they seem now, in about 8 hours there could be some incredible twist that we did not see coming and we needed the build up of these two annoying characters. Although Dana seems like such a twit, I feel almost embarrassed defending her character. The point is, just let it ride for now. Don't bail on 24 only after 5 hours of plot building. This show never disappoints and I have feeling it will start to pick up at some point soon. GO JACK!!!!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  52. JohnOBX

Katee Sackhoff was soooo much better as Starbuck. I think she should have been cast as a kickass partner for Jack rather than this simpering fool who can't take care of her trailer trash ex-boyfriend. I think the idea is that she still has some kind of attraction for the guy, and, as in real life, there is not much of an explanation of why. Annoying.

Jack imitating a German weapons dealer was a mistake. If Kiefer can't manage a German accent, give him a better cover story. A Canadian arms dealer, maybe. Irish? Christ, anyone can do an Irish accent.

–John

February 9, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Juana Keys

I agree with you on the Dana/Kevin thing! It is SOOOOO boring. What were the writers thinking. It has nothing to do with the plot. I also thought we'd see Jack's daughter get more involved as they showed hints of her having her father's skills last season, but I saw here on a commercial for another show this week so I'm assuming that's not going to happen. I love 24 but I had a hard time getting into it last night as well. But Renee' s stabbing of that dude definitely woke me up.

February 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  54. chieko

Dana and Kevin suck. If they are trying to show her fear of a guy who probably abused her back in the day and were involved in a crime together, they are not doing it believably. So she wants to protect her new identity from her old past but the plot line just is not credible. They could have come up with a better story line to get Dana fired. As it is going now it looks like cheap writing from some tacky soap.

February 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Zeek

Dana? Donna? She is supposed to be some kind of smoldering sex-pot, but is so boring I can't even remember her name. And Kevin? All she has to do is tell someone that an idiot former boyfriend is trying to blackmail her and he would be gone in 15 minutes. No questions asked. And the only person who would care is Kevin himself. Maybe the producers could re-work some scenes and get rid of this sub-plot soon.

Then she could go the HR and get rid of that annoying colleague who is always sexually harrassing her.

The only interesting character with an edge this year is Renee – she is saving this years plot-line.

Even Jack has been cleaned up – where is the outrage, the anger, the political incorrectness?

February 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Murdock

Maybe...just maybe...Bad Tony Almeda is behind it all!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  57. #1Bauerite

I will continue to hope that Dana and Kevin get taken out by the Russians. They – and the ridiculously lame storyline they are part of – are wasting our time. Thank God for my DVR. I can fast forward to Jack!

February 9, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  58. JC

I wish someone would off Kevin & Dana – total waste of breath and crappy acting. I love Jack and always will. I want Chloe's husband back – he is as quirky as his wife and they make a great couple. Where is he? Great scene when Renee stabbed the POS to death and surprising when she turned around and stabbed Jack. Gosh – what a recovery! I think they need to blow something up. The story is moving too slow and some explosions would add a little excitement.

February 9, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Eze

24 is the best tv series in the whole wide world. Jack Bauer is the greatest, meanest character on tv today. If there were such a person like him terrorists would be peeing in their pants anywhere they are. I am the hugest fan of 24 and I have all the seasons, and also following season 8. Go 24!!!

February 9, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Tn8chusrdhd

WOW! You people are really hard to please! I only discovered 24 about 4 weeks ago. I have stayed up all night sometimes watching seasons 1-7. When I got caught up on season 8, I couldn't wait for the next episode. Even though I'm not crazy about the Dana duo, I watch because I can't wait for her to get caught. Having worked in the industry of television I am constantly bored with the reality shows and garbage half hour programs they call entertainment. Because of the lousy writing and programing these days I have not had cable for the last 3 years. The stuff good enough to watch I watch on my laptop. 24 is the first show in a very long time that has the writing and direction of a great film. Every week is important and every story line leads to an amazing twist. I must admit, I was shocked at the turn of events of last nights episode and I will sit on the edge of my seat until next week when Jack graces my laptop for another short hour! Get a life people, this is a great show!

February 9, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Elijah

Renee snapped (i kinda knew she would do something crazy), stabbed Jack, My wife screamed... and I thought... yea... right. Ain't nothing gonna happen to bullet-proof Jack (after all... he's the star); BUT, I am surprised that Dana didn't send those knuckleheads right into a setup... what is she thinking? She knows she has to get rid of Kevin... oh well, Blond, long-legged, full pouting lips... something will work out !!!

February 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Tim

We are avid watchers...But! god, I hate that word. Come on writers we need to ramp-up the show to a frenzy pitch! We only have an hour to get a whole days activity done. Dump the blonde and her dumb lap dog. Elivate Chloe and get hastings or whatever his name is out of leadership of ctu. Jack's daughter could do better. I'll record the rest of the hours and when it gets stupid... fast forward. Hope it turns around.

February 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Scott

Agree completely that we need to believe real danger can touch Jack in order to be invested. I actually thought the show as a whole would be a lot stronger if the writers would have let Jack get killed off by the disease at the end of Day 7, letting the show take over with Renee as a new lead.

Sure it would be tough to replace the star, but in the balance between keeping it fresh and jumping the shark, I think it's time for Jack to make his heroic sacrifice and someone else to take over saving the world

February 9, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  64. david

Another night of Renee's forehead getting bigger, Chloe walking around with that stupid snear on her face, the head of CTU skulking around doing his hunchback of Notre Dame impersonation, Dana doing her ugliest woman on TV impersonation, and Jack whats up with those earlobes. Must have been cut off during one of his many tortures. Must have been an off night for the writers. But the knife to the eye was cool. Still a fan but falling fast.

February 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Lisa

I liked the first few seasons too, but don't understand why is everyone is still watching this – same stories over and over and over and over...

February 9, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Susan

Interesting that I've been catching up on the last MI-5 season on DVD which has a similar storyline with an Iranian embassador and getting parts for a nuclear bomb and how the enforcement world is handling it. There is no comparison between MI-5 and 24. MI-5 is a "10" and this season of 24 is a "2".

February 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  67. neil

24 is still the best show on TV. try writing a show like this week after week, season after season. Sure there are episodes that fall flat a bit (like last week, not last night), but there are more surprises than a box of crackerjacks. I'll keep watching (and most will too) and waiting as the action heats up and twists and turns develop. Yes, sometimes you have to watch with an open mind. But you must watch!

February 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Robert Posey

24 made it really clear that Rene was a better tech that Chloe, as was the male tech. For the Male tech, it may be that he is more familar with latest system, but Rene is protrayed as being simply better (smarter) than Chloe without the sad bitterness of Chloe which would make her impossible to work with under stress. SInce its 24, they have to make sure any strong female character had a fatal flaw, and to add some right wing appeal made Rene weakness that she dared overcome humble beginings. If she had known her place, she would not have gotten into trouble.
    Of course, hopefully 24 will surprise me and make the lesson of the Rene story that the government should be more understanding of youthful mistakes, that way Renee could have told the truth about her back ground and not been subject to blackmail. Maybe the head of CTU will find out, understand and sick her boyfriend on the thug blackmailing her, though its really too late for that now.

February 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jerry

I am so fed up with the Dana/Kevin plot I almost forgot the show was on last night. It was a good thing i had it on tape. If these two go on much longer it is time to say goodbye to "24". I no longer get that sitting on the edge of my couch feeling. It is almost like "well guess we know what will happen next."
    I hope the writers have something amazing in store for us dedicated fans or else it will be a sad ending to a once great show.

February 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Bryan

You may want to start worrying about Jack. If you remember correctly, during last season, on 24's official Web site the writers almost assured Jack would have to be killed in Season 8 or a "24 The Movie" finale because they saw no other way to end his story. Now lots of things can change from when they thought that. For Jack's sake, I hope they have.

February 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Sean

They really need to put Jack in charge of a unit or something and start out with a new agent! I'm tired of Jack in all these situations...we need a new hero and now or the show will die. I don't have any sort of suspense anymore from this show because I simply don't care!

February 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  72. CTwho

My love/hate relationship with 24 has truly escalated to a new peak this season. I spend as much time making fun of the show as I do enjoying the twist and turns. Right now the show has the feel of a soap opera that is still focusing on the same plot points 20 years later. However, I have to admit that I yelled out loud when Renee went crazy. Her scenes have stolen the show in surprise moments so far this year. But, when Jack is bouncing around a scene or two later like he stubbed his toe on the floor the show loses credibility and drama. I am hoping for a dramatic plot twist to shake things up. But, if it is another bad seed in the oval office I am officially handing in my CTU badge.

February 9, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Bill Firshein

This critic is full of baloney.. I dont know what he wants. Of course its a series, and of course, Jack Bauer is the star, so naturally he will get into scrapes, and get out of them,, That is what the veiwers want , including me..You are just spouting sour grapes.. The stories are as exciting as ever 4 years after i had begun to watch it and I am an octagenarian.. I like that he is being non politically correct by going after islamofascists and now the Russian mafia ..I like that he beats the crap out rotten terrorists to get information out of them.. Whats wrong with that?.. I like all the story lines so far including that new blond bombshell who has stupidly given in to her old boyfriend (Prinz) to rob a storage area.. The only one I dont like is that vapid President . She looks like a stop and shop store manager...
    So stop being so bored and dont watch it if you dont want to , but dont spoil it for the rest of us.. Some critic you are..Go watch MSNBC instead..

February 9, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Gary

Dana is hot! But come on, if she has such a questionable past how did she get the job she has. I hope the real CIA screens a little better.

February 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  75. FallsChurchVA

The same people that produce "24" did the La Femme Nikita which was far and way much better than "24" is or will be. Many of the plots/subplots and even actor's cues are a direct grab from that show. I'm happy that it is making other people happy; I just can't get excited about it. After seeing Nikita for so long, "24" just seems predictable. I keep hoping for a "Nikita" movie.

February 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Wdog

don't give up yet...Carlos Bernard is returning again as Tony Almeida, so don't worry about just having Freddie Prince as Jack's backup

February 9, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Jack

I keep wishing that someone would turn on a few lights so that we could see what is happening. It can't all be done in the dark of night, maybe we'll get around to some day time scenes before it is all over.

February 9, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Joe

I still love the show – Monday night isn't the same without watching jack kill somebody.

I certainly hope that Dana's ex gets himself obliterated soon, this is one story line that is brutal. Renee on Vlad The Impaled – gotta love it and the fact that she was in such a rage that she stabbed Jack was awesome – having never been stabbed, he did seem to recover from a steak know in the gut rather easily....

I like Hassan – he is turning back into a brutal dictator and we are seeing his true colors. My only hope is that the fuel rods get used – let's see someting actually get nuked.....

February 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Hammer

The Dana/Kevin plot is lame. Unbelievable. It's like they gave that assignment to a newbie writer.
    I don't like what Renee has become.... what's left but to eventually kill her off.
    I too am becoming tired of this show. I never what it 'live' anymore but the next day online.

February 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Paul

Dana and Kevin is officially more anoying then the Kim lost in the wilderness storyline.

Worst....storyline....ever.

February 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jeremy

Used to Love 24 – grown really stale now. Can't stand the Dana/Kevin storyline either. Pointless! Loved Katee in Battlestar Galactica (and Callum)- I think I'll just watch that instead (again) instead of torturing myself with this show. At least LOST is on tonight.

February 9, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Cat

I have actually enjoyed this season so far in comparison to last season. I have been a fan from the beginning, and I think it has just become part of the show to know Jack will be ok – I stopped worrying about that loooong ago – it's watcing him kick some butt to get out of situations that is fun! I also agree that the subplots are horrible, but thats just another tradition of the show – anyone remember the terrible amesia incident way back at the beginning of the series? The only real problem I have with this season is the twist in Rene's character. Last season she could barely torture anyone, but now apparently she was a tough under cover agent in the Russian mafia? Doesn't really make sense, but at least now they have created someone just as tragic for Jack to identify with.......

February 9, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Marie

Love the show. Best action packed cliff hangee ever produced!

February 9, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Tavo

Last 5 minutes of the show were good, before that it was boooring...
    the writers need to show the big guns now, so far 8 hrs of the day and nothing worthy, I hope Cole Ortiz (really bad acting of the scooby doo movie guy) dumps Dana, she kills him and Kevin in a rage-killing spree, and then we are back to the good ol'days of Tony, Aaron and Chloe, any chance Bill Buchanan has a twin?
    This show has been my favorite since 2001, please do something to improve it, is not going in the right direction....

February 9, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  85. DD

Agreed! yawn, yawn with the ex-con & fake ctu gal. The Russians are weak & hassan's group is booooring. Time to get some action going it's almost midnight. As Clapton sang "after mignight we gonna let it all hang out!!"

February 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Christina

I love this show!
    But please get rid of the head of CTU. He is an absolute idiot!
    How about the prez telling secrets about the uranium rods in a public setting? That was bizarre...
    I was at the edge of my seat when the Russians came snooping around looking for people...(Rene hidden in closet)...Loved her killing that abusive Russian bastard....Go Jack go..

February 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Jae

24 has its ups and downs just like any other show but overall its a good show and has more ups than downs. Some people will never be happy no matter how the storyline plays out.

February 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  88. AmFem

I watch it because it's my husband's favorite show, and I find it interesting enough to keep watching. But, I have my issues with it. The juvenile antics that these "top notch" anti-terrorism unit take part in is ridiculous... suspicious of all of their coworkers, checking up on each other all the time... "Where were you?" "Stop staring at my boobs!" Good lord, my high school experience wasn't so annoying. If this behavior is really going on at Homeland Security, the CIA, or the FBI, we're in trouble.

February 9, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Watching24

I keep watching the episodes, so it can't be all that bad.

I think of 24 as an entertaining daytime soap opera-like, on overdrive.

I really would like to know how the Russian people feel about this show, along with some Middle-East people.

I wonder if Russian drama TV shows show Americans as the enemies? Perhaps the Middle-East drama TV shows do as well.

I would like to see a 24 hour show about a fictitious American group who plans to control the financial sector somehow, and they bring the America to a halt or depression - that's when Jack steps in, with his crew to save America. We could add in some twists, like a possible modern civil war, and some off-shoots of corrupted businessmen, and senators.

February 9, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  90. J

Glad to see more of Jack. I was glad to see Renee give the Russian just what he deserved (even though we all know she is very unstable)
    Some may not like that Jack always comes out of every dilemma but I for one love to see it. Can't wait for DVD (as I have all 7 seasons) and watch all the time. over and over......

February 9, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Kelly

This new story line is intriguing and I can't wait to see what the what the next twist is going to be, because quite honestly who really cares about what's going to happen to some dude from Comeonistan? So there's got to be more on the way......Like just about everyone, that Dana chick is bugging me .... what's with that hair, and really why is she there... get to the point already!! .... and Jurgen Proknow as the "Eastern Promises" type Russian mob boss .... is he going to make some tasty borcht when Jack comes to visit..... I'm looking forward to finding out.....

February 9, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Mary Tucker

I am always curious as to just how all of these criminal's get into CTU! Dana and Kevin are predictable and boring, as is Madam President. The computer geek is also predictable with his snooping and stalking. I am ready for Renee to bite the bullet, and then Jack can get down to some serious business. Last year I swore that it would be my last year, but here I am again, and praying that the writers are able to come up with something different, instead of using the same story line with different players. Amen

February 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Adam A. from Bellevue, Nebraska

I completely agree with your opinion of the Dana/Kevin storyline. It's sad too, because Katie Sackhoff is such a great actress (loved her on Battlestar Galactica!)... she's just a victim of poor writing. The Dana character could be so much more than a shadowy version of Chloe...it's sad.

February 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  94. DaveFromNC

I lived and breathed this show for the first few seasons. I couldn't get enough. It kept me engaged, it stressed me out, and kept me begging for the next episode. But the season before last marked a turning point I think. I felt more and more like I was watching a soap opera. I actually hoped the series would end with last season, and so far with this current season I am sufficiently bored.

We've seen Jack do everything. He survives everything. He saves the minute/hour/day over and over again and I feel the show has run its course. I still watch it, sure, but with the hopes that once.....just once....Jack meets his match. They can make an entire hour long episode a showcase of his valiant and true patriotism, and kill him already. I'm not saying let the bad guys win – although that would be interesting. But give the bad guys their shot. Jack can't dodge bullets from a half dozen armed terrorists every time and come out fresh as a daisy forever. Please end the series.

And as an aside – if I hear Jack utter the phrase "There's No Other Way!" or "Trust Me!" one more time I might vomit. And president Taylor is annoying as the Dana/Kevin story line. Her accent hurts my ears, she doesn't convince me she is the strong, capable leader of the free world. She's just annoying. Maybe she could be assasinated along with Jack. Now ThAT would be a great ending.

Just my opinion of course.

February 9, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  95. David

Freddie Prinze Jr. is the worst addition ever and his character name, Cole Ortiz, is just laughably bad..

February 9, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  96. Sophie

I find myself so annoyed by the Dana storyline, but more because her hair is always to one side and it makes her look more dumb when combined with the storyline. Also, I cannot get over Bubba as director or the fact that I expect President Hassan to start dancing bollywood at any given moment. At least Renee and Jack still keep me hooked.

February 9, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  97. Hooligan73

I am just glad Jack Bauer was trained by Chuck Norris.

February 9, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  98. littlebirdie44

Love me some Bauer! I don't care if the story lines are ridiculous...it's entertainment with a Capital E!! My husband watches with me and likes to nit-pick about stuff but I tell him, "look - it's TV - not reality - lower your expectations and just enjoy the ride." I loved it when Renee stabbed the crap out of Vladmiyr (however you spell it) and then stabbed Jack too!! Get outta here!! If you weren't thrown for a loop with that, you need to stop watching. The only thing I'm hating about the Dana/Kevin thing is that positively weirdo walk/look that Dana is doing whenever she's sneaking off to hook up with loser Kevin. It's not a great story line, but it could be worse...we could be subjected to Hasting's love life....ha ha ha ha ha ha...now THAT would be horrid....Go get 'em Jack!!

February 9, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  99. Trapalon

Slow episode but nice twist. Renee is the psychopath that Jack could have been if he weren't Jack. She's well into her next nervous breakdown and for now she's the only hope Jack has.

Hassan has gone eveil, that's a shame. Dana Darrel and Darrel are rediculous. Really they should just play circus music in the background whenever they work that story line.

Really the only germ of interest this season is a Jack that has something to live for, for once, who's only hope is the psycho he created last season.

February 9, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  100. Matt

I've always hated the B stories that have nothing to do with the main plot. Kim as an au pair vs. abusive dad? Sucked. President Palmer's son in a murder investigation? Sucked. Sherry Palmer vs. Millikens? Sucked. Dana and Kevin? Sucks. Jack Bauer basically spending an entire episode driving while other people do boring things? Sucks. So I can certainly understand if the last few episodes full of pointless and annoying characters are turning people off no one should fool themselves into thinking it's anything new.

I'm sure it'll pick up though. Every 24 season has been a wave of sorts. Real time in real life includes boring patches so I let some of the mundane moments slide as long as they get out of the way early and are made up for with later excitement and a faster pace.

To me, 24 has always been about Jack Bauer being awesome. I want more of that and less of pretty much everything else. I think that's why seasons 4 and 5 were my favorites. Damn near every character and everything that happened had something to do with the main storyline. No distractions. So far, that's all that Dana and Kevin are. I hope they die. Literally. And soon. I still think the writers owe me for offing Curtis and Edgar so they can get on the ball and drop a bus on those two idiots ASAP.

February 9, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  101. RockRobster

I agree with your take. With the exception of when Jack, Chloe and Renee are on screen, I find my mind wondering. Each episode has its bright moments, but in general it all seems predictable and low key. I am waiting for the Dana and Kevin story to either end or reveal something worthwhile. It feels like a dumbed down storyline added in to attract the average CSI or Law and Order viewer. The actress who plays Dana had such a strong great role on Battlestar Galactica, I can't imagine why should would play such a lame character on 24. There must be a twist coming. I really love how dark and disturbed Renee is this season. The head of CTU should of been fired two episodes ago. As I watched the previews for next week and Jack going through his standard torture regimen, I thought, oh Jeeze, here we go again, we know how this turns out. But I too have faith that the writers are going to bring it on soon....At least I hope.

February 9, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  102. EdB

I'm still watching, and still enjoying overall, but I'm getting pretty aggravated the the Dana character, not just because the character and her plot line are so weak, but because they are failing to use Katee Sackoff to her full potential, and that's a crime! For Katee's sake I hope they can rejuvenate interest in her character, and, if they don't, I'll hold that as a permanent mark against this show.

Anyway, how much longer can the good times last?

February 9, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  103. Charlie

Just started watching this season. Like the show, but don't like Chloe. Hope she gets a guest appearance on Dexter.

February 9, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  104. Fwankydo

Jack gets stabbed, falls to the floor in pain, but one second later pulls the knife out his belly and throws it across the room with perfect precision and jumps up like nothing happened!!!

Just like in episode 6:00 pm-7:00 pm when Jack got beat up in the basement ( read the episde recap" In the Koernig's basement, Mazoni has Jack tied to a chair and is beating him savagely") but got out without a scratch in his face for the rest of the day/season!!!

How can we not notice this and accept it?

I know it a pain for the makeup crew to have Jack's mouth bruised for 20 episodes but hey! He was bleeding from the mouth in the basement!!!

February 9, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  105. Jeff B.

Dana and Kevin: Hmmm, so she lied about her JUVENILE record..the worst she could get was..fired. NOW, she faces at least 25 years, and possibly life. Yes, GREAT choices. (not to mention that CTU would NEVER have vetted her completely ?)

February 9, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  106. Sandman

I hear Jack's going to go deep uncover as a Hasidic Rabbi.
    Definitely a brillant twist by the writers.

February 9, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  107. Becky

I have loved 24 from the beginning-even rented the seasons to go back-this season is alittle slow but will keep watching because I know it will get better. This is the best show on TV these days-they can keep all those so called reality shows. They don't hold a candle to 24 even when it is slow. I will keep watching as long as it is on-Go Jack!!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  108. WS

We thought we were the only ones who hated the Dana sub-plot. Why she didn't just have her fiancee, Fredie Prinze Jr., take out the Neanderthal at the beginning bugs to no end. I can't wait to see her get the can when they find out what she was doing on her computer.
    I loved "excuse me?" She needs to go.

February 9, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  109. djkevin

How can you pull a knife out of you and throw it at someone's neck and have it kill him? Dammit, hate it when that happens.

February 9, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  110. Casey Blase

I think it's time for 24 to have a final season. Too often it seems that certain things need to be maintained in order to protect the FOLLOWING season, such as keeping Jack alive and such.
    The show needs a final amazing season, and no more of these secure the next season by not pushing the limits this season.

Another season like this one, and the show will fade off the air instead of getting the historic send off it needs. Fading off, like Prison Break, Kyle XY, and so many other shows that just went one season too long.

Though I will say this... they kill of Chloe and I am done with fox FOREVER!

February 9, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  111. G

People....there are still 17-18 hours left. They certainly are not going to put everything out there now. Not every hour can be edge of your seat episodes. Every season has had ho-hum episodes. It is still a very good show and I look forward to it every Monday. True fans would not just stop watching it no matter how disappointed they are.

February 9, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  112. Denizen Kate

Jason, I watched the first two episodes of this season only because I like Katee Sackoff, but the character she plays on 24 just doesn't compare to Starbuck. I've tried to watch the show a few other seasons, but never made it through more than the first few episodes before the bad writing and extremely contrived situations turned me off.

February 9, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  113. Mark

I kind of like the Dana sideline myself. It is certainly a little more exciting that watching Jack with a knive sticking out his stomach get up like 'no problem' and shoot those guys and then put on a band aid. The Dana sideline is actually exciting to watch thos 2 jerks who will eventually be on the run. Fake SSN's and new identities come for a few thousand dollars these days so working at CTU with this new identity does not seem impossible to me. Rene is going to turn out to be a psycho and that will also add lots of excitement! 24!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  114. jason

But....Denizen Kate –

Its evident you watch the show. Something is intriguing about it. Love it or hate it...you either watch '24' or WWE Monday Night Raw – those are about your choices.

The episode we are all waiting for is coming..........simply gotta be!!!

February 9, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  115. ingo

I have been a huge 24 fan since the first season, but this season has some serious issues. The Dana sideplot is completely ridiculous and unbelievable, and it seems that a lot of technical accuracy has been given up for the sake of story. I know it's just TV, but typically 24 paid better attention to detail. The President's negotiations, security details, etc. are all completely unrealistic and would never EVER happen in real life. I'm happy to see the story pick up, hopefully it won't suffer too much more from completely unrealistic scenarios.

February 9, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  116. Jason Goldtrap

Jack Bauer is Gamera. On one hand, every brain cell tells you that it's not anything near approaching reality. On the other hand, a giant turtle is crushing downtown Tokyo and it freakin' awesome!

February 9, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  117. Denizen Kate

I have three reasons why 24 is unwatchable for me. 1) Kiefer Sutherland has only one emotion and one voice inflection – I call it the whisper/growl. 2) Chloe has to be the most sullen character ever, in TV or in movies. I just want to slap her all the time. 3) Cell phones and PDAs would never be allowed into an area like the so-called CTU. This is supposedly a top secret facility. They would never allow any device that records or transmits. The whole show is badly written and too contrived for me.

February 9, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  118. RJV

Ok, I would love to see more of Freddie Prinze, Jr.. He will take over once they kill off the Hastings guy (I hope) or become our new Bauer?

I concur with the Dana/Jenny/pathetic girl storyline.

On the same page when it comes to Chloe's facial expressions (help it) we need better acting from Hastings, Jenny/Dana, and Chloe.

Where is the brother?

Hassan's going paranoid.

Jack can handle the torture, but somethings gonna give.

February 9, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  119. Mark H.

I disagree with most of the posts. I find this season just as interesting and exciting as ever! Love the direction the Renee character's story is going!! The writers and just setting up the storylines which I am sure they will weave into an exciting season!

February 9, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  120. Laehcim Iksweldnes

Dump the Renee and Dana storylines. Chloe needs to get out into the field. The R and D lines are fillers and BORING!! Cherry Jones is wasting away this season.

February 9, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  121. phyllis

I am a 24/Jack fan, I watch it every week, it is my favorite drama/action show. I am waiting for Renee to turn out to be another Tony!!!

Jack is falling in love with Renee, so I think she will be the one to stabb him in back, look out Jack......

I think Chloe will be the one to come to his rescue. Chloe is the only one at CTU that is working, these other people are clowns.

This DANA story line is crazy not good at all. She is really acting stupid. She put her self in this bad place, she needs to get her self out.

They need to let Chloe do her thing. let her loose go Chloe go.... save Jack from the bad guys....

love Jack and 24 peace out.

February 9, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  122. Heidi

It's no coincedence that my son's name is Jack Benjamin. (It's as close to Jack Bauer as I would let my husband get. Kevin needs to die a painful death at the hands of Freddie Prince soon!!!! We will always be faithful followers of Jack!!!

February 9, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  123. Darren

Seasons 1-3 were great but 24 has sucked ever since, and every year I make the mistake of thinking it's going to return to form. It never does.

February 9, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  124. funnygirl

Hello writers wake up, Hastings has got to go... remove him get a good bad guy in there that has a brain. Dana just get security and take her away. Give more time to Freddie at least hes nice to look at. We fans need help from you. And even Jack couldnt be walking around with that stab wound that made his eyes popp out , you guys have lost focus, dont make me leave my favorite show. HELP!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  125. Ali

Ive watched every second of 24 since day one, and Ill continue til they stop making them, but this season does need to pick up already. I do have disagree about Dana and Kevin. I think they have been the most exciting part about this whole day so far. If you really want something to help you along while you watch – follow real_jackbauer on Twitter. I discovered him a few episodes back, he "speaks" in Jack's voice and adds great humor while you watch. I think the whole show could be saved by a new president! Allison Taylor is such a letdown after the Palmers. And lastly, Im scared to death that since Keifer isnt contracted after this season, that they are gonna try to make another season with just Freddie Prinze, Jr. THAT WOULD MAKE ME VOMIT!!! I beg of you, Powers that Be, dont do that to us!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  126. Marc

The casting this season is abysmal. Bubba Gump, Starbuck and Freddie Prinze? I don't even care about the 'bad' guys. Foreign Guy number 1, 2, or the jailbird ex boyfriend.

I'm rooting for the nuke to take out New York, just to make the show interesting again.

February 9, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  127. jay nisbet

The Dana sideline way too stupid. This chick works at CTU. She can have this guy Bauerized...justl like freddy prince' career.

February 9, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  128. Bill Sigler

I record the show so I can fast foward through the Dana/boyfriend business. Dana needs to get fired and jailed for life for stupidy. This subplot stinks.

February 9, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  129. susan

Did anyone notice how much Jack looked like the kid in Christmas Story with those wierd glasses? What were they thinking????

February 9, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  130. mini

I think Danna/Kevin side line is extremely boring. looks like they are are killing time with it.

February 9, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  131. Gus

Problems that I see right now are Hassan being inconsistent, anything to do with Dana, the CTU head and Jack not being the central character. You can tell something has changed behind the scenes. Think back to how the Mexican torture scenes made us flinch. How we cared when key memebrs got snuffed out. Would you care if Dana or CTU in general were written out? Probably not. A weak season so far to my disappointment. Someone here called it: the PC police are making this show irrelavent. Fake country names, multiple bad guys, confusion.

February 9, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  132. fred p

I officially stopped watching last night. Went with CBS. 24 is that boring now. Too bad because I used to love this show.

February 9, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  133. RALPH

I'm just grateful that Jeanine G. is gone !!!
    I agree that the Kevin/Dana sub plot is weak – maybe they'll get entangled in the main plot "down the road" !
    I expect Jack to become exposed to the Weaponized Uranium – there's already a heroic doctor to save him – Hassan's aide will somehow jump ship and come to Jack's rescue !

February 9, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  134. stoccata

I got hooked on "24" at season 6, the one everyone says was terrible. I guess I liked it because I then bought the first 5 seasons on DVD and the delayed start of season 7 gave me time to catch up. So I'm invested. I hate to donate my life to a TV show but I'm in for this one, with all its warts and blemishes. We all know the outcome... Jack is impervious to anything that would kill a mere mortal; he endures stab wounds without going into shock, he's been killed twice and magically brought back. He's not like the rest of us. We know he will persevere and save the world. That's not why we watch. We want to see the journey including moles, megalomaniacs, cougars, Behrooz, geeks, those voted most unlikely to catch a bullet in the neck but they do, and assorted torture, amputations and executions. Just another fun night in front of the tube. I'm willing to put up with a lot for the freaky ride but I gotta say the Dana/Kevin/stupid sidekick sub-plot is really stretching my assignment as a viewer: can the logic and let the reptilian brain rule. You can jerk my chain again next week. I'll be there.

February 9, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  135. Michael

You know you have an issue when Freddie Prinze, Jr. is not the worst actor on your screen. Mykelti Williamson, is AWFUL, obviously working for nothing more than a paycheck! Annie Wersching, on the other hand, has been inspiring in every way!

February 9, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  136. Tabbetha

The Dana/Kevin plot is driving me insane. I always seem to find something else to do when they are on. I only hope that whatever the writers have planned for them comes out soon b/c they are boring the crap out of me. And whatever it is I hope it WOWS us b/c at this point they are pointless to "24". Anywho like some of you have stated although Jack was stabbed we know he is going to come out on top so please think of something else. The last few seasons have not "wowed" me in any way but I am a fan and will continue to watch but please bring something new and intriguing to peak my interest.

February 9, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  137. Brian

Jack getting stabbed, then pulling the knife out and throwing it into the bad guy's next was classic Bauer-@$$ kicking of the sort I hope to see more of. The overall assessment of the Dana/Kevin subplot, barring a REAl surprise, is spot-on. I hope it ends SOON!
    I continue to watch 24 every week because I love the show. I'm hoping the producers have enough left for another couple of seasons...but no party lasts forever...

February 9, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  138. Alek

'24' has such terrible writing. The characters have no credibility what-so-ever. I understand that people watch TV to escape reality, but that is no excuse for LAZY writing. There's a fine line between fantasy and sloppy writing. '24' is six feet deep on the latter side.

February 9, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  139. Finkelton

As much as everybody loves Jack Bauer, like the article says, we have have become immune to any dire circumstance that he finds himself in. This, combined with the fact that Kiefer Sutherland is only under contract through this 8th season makes me fear that perhaps this season will spell the end for Jack? Could 24 live on with Chloe, who we have also come to become very attached to, and perhaps FPJ??

February 9, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  140. Laurie

Great episode.

The Dana/Kevin plot isn't that bad.

Great show.

February 9, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  141. Avinash

No matter what! We will love watching 24. Just that Jack has to come back to power situations and Govt has to give him some credit for what he has done in the past seasons, he need to run the feild ops again, bored watching him listen to Renee or work for nothing!

May be a twist like, Audrey Reenes will come back to Jacks life and then they show another version of hopefully Season 9 premiere!

I am gamed to watch and ask the team of 24 to atleast complete 24 episodes as per the name.

Guys also see, if you can plot a drama to get David Palmer back as president, havent seen a person do a role like him and presidential !!

GO Jack and team Go ...

February 9, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  142. monk_juice

I can't wait for this seasons new cast members get killed off!

February 9, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  143. Wally Smalls

Even though last night had some action, Hitler is unhappy with "24" so far:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mitHu4hSuv4&w=640&h=390]

February 9, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  144. Jay

This show should have ended after season 5. It has been nothing short of an embarrassment ever since. And even up through season 5 they still re-hashed the same storylines and just killed off a character the audience liked whenever they needed to shake it up – until most of the characters were dead. I find it hard to care about any new characters. The show was still great for 5 years, but enough is enough.

February 9, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  145. dramamama

Has anyone thought that the Dana/Kevin plot might be a vehicle to bring Chole back into the fold; to elevate her to her rightful place at CTU? Someone is going to have to be the hero (or heroine) at CTU. The groundwork has already been laid for Chole to prove herself to the CTU head. What better way to do it than to step up in the crisis that is about to unfold with Dana?

February 9, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  146. Sam

This show "jumped the shark" long ago!

February 9, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  147. DeLynn

The Dana character is unbelievable and extremely irritating. I check my email when she is on. We waited a LONG time for 24 and so far we're not "pulled in" by any one character or story line. Sad

February 9, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  148. Finkelton

Actually....watching jack fight plaque would be wayy more entertaining than watching that dastardly duo take a dive on screen

February 9, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  149. Dwarfer

I have to agree about the Dana/Kevin subplot...they are both so incredibly stupid and annoying. The premise was already thin with the fake identy. A complete waste of time when they are on the screen.

Hassan has become what he is supposed to be against...is it that easy to be so selfish and cruel if you truly believe in what is right and wrong? I think 99% of the politicians in the world are self-centered crooks, but come on.

And when are they planning on doing something about the idiot running CTU? Soon, I hope. The only characters worth watching are Jack, Renee and Chloe. And how dumb are the CTU agents...how long will it take them to figure out that if they didn't take Jack out of there above ground they went out below ground? I'll keep watching, of course, because I love this show.

February 9, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  150. litman

Loved it. This season is smarter, more chaaracter-driven and more nuanced, which makes the action resonate more. 24 rocks!!!!!!!!!! I hope it's on for another couple of seasons – it's the greatest action show in the history of television.

February 9, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  151. D

I have had stomach aches that were more interesting than this season.

February 9, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  152. wm scotw

I have to agree it is a bit slow getting out of the gate this year but ,as always, it gets rolling a the season moves on. I think "Starbuck" has a lot to offer so do not "dis" her to much. I would like to see her around more and I think we will. She is prime for being blackmailed into a national security issue. Rene has been just great in her part this year, a tourchered soul, and meaner that shit. Hell folks it has only been four episodes !

February 9, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  153. old guy

At first, "24" had the wild, paranoid inventivenes of Richard Condon's books ("The Manchurian Candidate", "The Whisper of the Ax", etc.) and the show's conservative defense of torture was nicely balanced by the way we were given not one, but TWO black Presidents (which helped make Obama's election imaginable.) Best of all, there was little (if any) of that awful "character development" TV does so ludicrously, and the show never had time for "relationships", or even for Jack to eat something once in awhile. But then, creator Joel Surnow left the building and the same entropy that afflicts all television series set in.... the repetitions, the filler that seems to follow from writers on an hourly wage, the awful regurgitations of what was once a great 17.5 hour B movie, at least without the commercials., And, speaking of B movies, who ever thought that Donald's surly offspring Kiefer would become the first great action hero of the 21st century. But even for a noble warrier like Jack Bauer, it's time to move on....

February 9, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  154. rico suave

Im growing tired of this show

February 9, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  155. Dustin Blythe

I think we are all a little more demanding and, frankly, desensitized after seven seasons of '24". That being said, I thought that Renee would do something to Vladimir as soon as they had exhausted his usefulness, but I was still shocked when she went postal on him.

How about Jack, being able to pull the knife from his abdomen and throw it with enough force and skill to hit Vlad's henchman in the throat as he walked in the door?

Dereyck is right: by now, we know that Jack is going to be o.k. We even know that the nuclear rods are going to be recovered. That's o.k. It's the journey, not the conclusion, that keeps us hooked. "24" continues to flip the script and keeps us guessing. That is why we watch. Nothing else (since "The Shield") compares.

February 9, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  156. ruffian

i'm out. jumped the shark early for me. i've watched every episode from season one on, but just can't do it anymore.

February 9, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  157. crimoso

Is no one else tired of watching Chloe, and her facial expressions everytime something doesn't go her way. She looks like a 4 yr old about to throw a tantrum.

February 9, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  158. vallary

There is nothing like this show on TV. Hands down. I know some of the story lines Jack takes on the world but, It is really good. I have been a fan for a very long time and it is the only show that I will stop everything to watch. I love how they threw that twisted in at 9:43. It took me a 1 1/2 to get to sleep last night after watching it. I hope the show continues. It is great..... P.S. Jack needs to loose the Harry Potter glass. :)

February 9, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  159. R. Melton

Okay let me get this straight, Donna was smart enough to create a new identity, get past the background checks conducted by the best counter terrorism unit in the world but she can't get someone to stuff this redneck in a van and dump him in a river or drive him to Canada and let him out on a logging road somewhere? Fire her already.

February 9, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  160. Dan O'Rourke

Well, I missed the episode last night tried to get it later on the Fox network on the internet but I'm being discriminated against because I'm Canadian (Like Kiefer) and they won't let me in.Anyway I'll find a way to hack it maybe Chloe can help! Anyway I agree Jack will prevail. The Russian Middle East connection is intriguing hopefully I can catch up quick.

February 9, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  161. Carl

When the writters changed the show last year nad you started seeing political correctness creeping in to the cast and story line I began to loose interest. To me the story line has continued to fall apart and the reality of the show has begun to reach its limits. I'll watch, to see how Jack get into and out of the situations he is confronted with but not with the intensity of the first seasons when the plot was real and the characters did not have to meet some PC criteria.

February 9, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  162. themoi

No wonder I quit watching the show 3 seasons ago. ZZZZZZZ.

February 9, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  163. Tyberspace

Loved it so much, fell asleep about 20 minutes in but thankfully woke up in time to see Renee get decked. About to fall asleep right now describing it.

February 9, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  164. Sir Lord

One needs to note that the Dana/Kevin subplot is this way is because we don't need to see another female character like Our Chloe. Thus the twist in the storyline as the other storylines continue to be developed weekly! Sure, all the sufferage and recovery that the Power of Bauer has undergone and continues to go through is somewhat familiar to us, but it is the endurance, the performance and his tragic character through all his endeavor that tend to continue to prevail as we continue to enjoy this show immensely!

February 9, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  165. suzan

well,
    it is getting a bit boring, they should get over with Donna & Kevin.
    unless something interesting will happen also there is no use for
    the head of CTU. he is nothing is he stupid?dont even remember his name not important
    Where is Bill? I know he got killed.We need some one like him.
    I love Jack and Cloe and the rest,
    I will always be a fan but get on with it.

February 9, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  166. Donna

Was always a devoted fan, but this year . . . . yawn. I guess I'll continue to watch, but you're right, a little boring.

February 9, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  167. Dave

There is a recurring theme amongst my other hard core 24 fans...

"...this season is one show away from me tuning out for good..."

Maybe they've run their course...maybe we as viewers are becoming to picky and too difficult to be "wowed".

The Dana story line is pathetic – but not the only reason why this season is too easy to dismiss.

The Russians are not scary.

Hassan is not consistent in his character.

And I almost peed myself as Pres Taylor – who I thought was going to remain tight lipped about the situation – blurted everything out to the British Embassy leader in about 15 seconds.

Oh we'll all continue watching – cause we have to.

But doesn't mean we're going to like it!

February 9, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  168. Diana Smith

I agree with your observations and opinions.
    I have been a fan from day one and will continue to be faithful.
    A couple of previous seasons started off slow, but delivered.
    I have faith that this season will deliver that same tension and fatigue.
    I'm hooked on being on the edge of my seat and so tense, that I don't even realize it until a commercial or the end.

February 9, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  169. Wendy

AGREE! I adore "24" and the Jacak Bauer character but it's just not an "edge of your seat" show this year. The Dana/Kevin story arc needs to end....quickly. We need Aaron back too.

February 9, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  170. Matt Beggs

Loved the episode!!! Loving the Season go 24!!!

February 9, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  171. S.J. Bowers

No matter how many negatives are printed by the tabloids about "24", it's still the best action drama series on t.v.
    I will be looking forward to "24" the movie.
    This season does have too many plots, but, writers are combining the different dramas to hold my interests.
    Kiefer Sutherland is one great actor.
    I hope the show will have the same run as Law & Order.

February 9, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  172. Ty

Dereyck, love the blog, keep it up. Check out mine at: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/tv/index.ssf/24/index.html

February 9, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  173. KOOB-LAH CON

I'm a big fan – BUT ... I'm kinda bored so far this season. Ya, I know give it an hour or two and things will pick up .... I hope! That Dana and Kevin "sideline" is sooooo annoying. Enough already! I'd rather watch
    Jack floss his teeth for the time this non-story line is taking up!

February 9, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |