February 9th, 2010

Lou Gossett Jr.: A class act

testing captions
testing captions

Lou Gossett Jr. announced today he's in the early stages of prostate cancer. It gave me pause, because I had a chance to spend some time with him this past November.

Gossett was a guest at the taping of the CNN Heroes show at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood. Our unit in Los Angeles helped squire celebrities from their limos to their seats; we were essentially Hollywood herders. Because we are immersed in the world of celebrity, it's not often we are starstruck. It's a business, a job.

A couple of weeks before the show, I received a call on my cell: a Beverly Hills area code, and a number I didn't recognize. I generally do not give out my cell phone number, so I was curious.

"Hello, this is Jennifer."

"Jennifer, this is Lou Gossett Jr."

And yes it was. The man's voice is simply beautiful, and when you're used to dealing with the layers that surround a celebrity, you are always a little bit surprised when you find yourself dealing with a star directly. Gossett was such a delight. He had some concerns and wanted me to get the answers to some questions, so he gave me his home and cell numbers. When I called him back, he asked if I'd be escorting him from the limo drop-off through security and to his seat. I told him I'd be delighted, and I certainly was.

Lou Gossett Jr. is truly a gentleman. He's gracious, charming, funny, talented, and oh that voice. Helping him on the day of the show reminded me that not everyone who rises to the top of their game surrounds themselves with sycophants. Gossett adds class to his act. A few folks in this industry could certainly take a page from his book.

I wish him strength in his fight against prostate cancer.

1. Escorts In Liverpool

This is interesting! I enjoyed reading your great post.Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have shared here.

March 15, 2013 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Arthurw Justikac

I enjoy you because of each of your work on this website. My mum loves working on research and it's simple to grasp why. Most of us hear all relating to the compelling mode you provide rewarding guides via the blog and even cause response from other individuals about this topic and my child is without question becoming educated so much. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the year. You're the one doing a superb job.

July 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. win the lottery

I do agree with all the ideas you have introduced on your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

April 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Waste King L-111

I've read a few excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you place to create any such great informative website.

April 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bella Smith

Cool page. Keep posting that way.

Bella Smith
    directorio escort mexico

January 6, 2011 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Anete Smith

Great text. Ready to read more.

Anete Smith
    top modele escorte a paris

December 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bella Kuree

Impressive article. When will I get the rest info?

Bella Kuree
    escorts west london

December 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. escorts agency

Rather cool blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Hilary Hakkinen

August 31, 2010 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. woman escort

Rather interesting blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Julia Benedict

August 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gary Ballen

I have worked with Lou and he is a Gem of a person. Very caring, inspirational and a gentle soul. God is watching down on Lou and he will be fine.

August 11, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Debra R

Does anyone know of an address where we can send Mr. Gossett a card?

February 12, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ike Bee

Get well very soon, Louis. Glad it was caught early so that treatment can nip it in the bud. One of my first roles I saw Mr. Gossett in the classic movie "J.D.'S Revenge" starring Glynn Turman. Two reasons make me remember this film are: it was made in New Orleans–where I live–and it scared me to no end as a kid! Other films and TV shows he starred in that were my favs most of which are already mentioned but I must include the role in the movie "Glory" where he played Denzel's seargent. Great performance! Once again I hope you come through with a clean bill of health. Be Blessed!

February 11, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

I had the pleasure of meeting and spending some time with Lou and his son in Nashville a few years ago (remember, Lou, I was "hot-rodding" a Denali in rush hour, construction slow down, traffic!). We talked everything from basketball to Katrina and a more delightful companion would be almost impossible to find. Even better, he passed his grace and class on to his son, so the next generation of Gossetts will be just as admirable. One day at a time is definitely the only way to face this other opponent, my mutual friend of B.W. Prayers are with you and yours.

February 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lisa

Love Lou Gossett Jr.

Not only movies but the old tv series "The Powers of Matthew Star" was one of my favorites. He is so multi-talented. Prayers are with you sir. God bless you with a full recover.

February 11, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. Robert P.

I will always remember the Iron Eagles, Enemy Mine, Toy Soldiers, and The Principal. Most of all, I will always remember Lou Gossett Jr. as a great actor and a fine human being.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with Lou and his family.

February 11, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. Norman Mhlongo

Hi Mr Gossett

During those dark days of appartheid in S.A. we used to watch your movies and you inspires us as a black man doing all the stunts in Movies and we associates ourself with you cause you are an African and i started from those years in early 80's to write Movies and Plays
    moreover to clean shave my head, please get well soon. take example of honorable B. Tutu and uTata Mandela they beat it.

God Bless You
    Norman Mhlongo

February 11, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  17. jon

What a shame he is by far one of the most unappreciated actors of out time. I wish him a speedy recovery.

February 10, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jack Ryan

Lou,

I know you have it in you to find the courage and strength to overcome this challenge and win the battle against cancer. I was just a teenager when I saw an Officer and a Genteman, your role is absolutely my favorite...I can't think of anyone else who could have done a better job.
    Best wishes pal...

JR

February 10, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Daniel

Praying he gets better soon...

February 10, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. linda from Tennessee

Great actor, many great movies.. Praying for your healing...

February 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tom

Louis Gossett, Jr. is a gentleman and a fine actor. I wish him the best and hope to see him on the screen again soon.

February 10, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ed

Wow! There's a lot of people pulling for you, Mr. Gossett. Count me among them!

February 10, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  23. PJ

I hope that the cure works for Lou. He really is a class act and good actor. I pray for his speedy recovery.

February 10, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mok

my wife and i briefly met Mr. Gossett on a golf course in the Bahamas years ago, and his grace and charm have her still mesmorized to this day. a mightly healing for you, Lou.

February 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kay

I was lucky enough to meet Mr Gossett in St. Louis. And yes, a very, very class act is he. Prayers for you Mr. Gossett.

February 10, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  26. TANDERSON

I saw this actor in SG1 Season 9 and he is amazing!

February 10, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Michael

Chappy!!!!!! Get well soon.

February 10, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Rich London

Mr Gossett,

I too am one of your long time fans. The great news is that your cancer was found early. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2003 and am now a six year cancer survivor with a PSA of 0.0. I also am living with Parkinson's disease, but those are just inconveniences.

For the benefit of you or anyone else who is overcoming obstacles in their lives check out http://www.AHandbookForLife.com.

Best wishes and God speed to you.

Rich London

February 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Honest AB

Mr. Gossett – May God be with you and heal you in the process. We will be praying for you. You have been one of the fine examples in Hollywood, which is not found often.

February 10, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Harry

There is much more publicity and awareness of breast cancer than prostate cancer. The fact is, most men get prostate cancer if they live long enough, and African-Americans get it at a higher rate than anyone. Men should get blood sampled for PSA numbers.

By the way, my PSA has climbed and is approaching "red flag" levels.

While I support breast cancer awareness, I must point out that prostate cancer affects more men by percentage than breast cancer affects women.

Harry

February 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sherry

Does anyone remember him in "the Powers of Matthew Starr"???? Maybe my sister and I were the only ones that watched....
    Terrific actor, wishing him the best.

February 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  32. tbriscoe

Hitman... Agreed! Both movies were greatness!
    Praying for ya Louis!

February 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  33. shirley

HI Lou, can i call you Lou? always thought you was under radar as and
    actor where have you been.Is that your son on the closer.

February 10, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Paula

Mr. Gossett,

You are a dynamic actor, and I will be praying for you and your family during this trying time. Remeber that God is a healer. Get well and get back to acting...we want to see some more films with awesome actors such as yourself

February 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  35. starpete

Mr. Gossett,
    To this day I still treasure the CD I have of you narrating the Candlelight Processional at Walt Disney World. I attended every night that you were the guest host, and no one has ever compared since. Thank you so much for the joy I receive every Christmas as I listen to your beautiful voice telling the Christmas story with the choir from the local schools. You are truly a class act, and I hope you know through these comments how loved and appreciated you are.

February 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Vikingwench

I loved him in "The Young Rebels". I was 15 when that show aired and it really spoke to me.

February 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  37. rodisha scott

My prayers are with you and your family.

February 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Charlee Kessee

My prayers and thoughts are with Mr. Gossett. I don't know if he was ever an officer (off screen), but he is certainly a gentleman and class act actor. Hopefully, the doctors discovered it early. I wish you the best Mr. Gossett. GOD BLESS YOU!!!

February 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Ruth Green

Dear Mr. Gossett;

I want to wish you the best and get well. You are needed again on the big screen. Your the best. May God give you the strength to fight this terrible monster.

February 10, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jacque

All things are poosible to them that believe! I believe! God did not bring you this far to leave you! Be encouraged!

February 10, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  41. suzan

good luck, all the best

February 10, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  42. Raphael Salgado

From the first time I saw him on Iron Eagle, I always love his energy and passion he consistently delivers in his movies. I wish him only the very best.

February 10, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  43. Darrell W. Goodwin

There are a few, very few, actors with real class, Louis Gossett Jr. stands in the top three, and ALWAYS prompts me to watch a movie if he is in it.
    I wish him luck with the cancer, and my prayers that he will pull through and continue to appear on the screen.
    I hope he gets to see how many people truly love and admire his work.

February 10, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  44. Audrey

I wish you well. If you are anything like the characters that you have played in the past you will fight this thing like when you beat the crap out of Richard Gere in an Officer and a Gentleman. Your in my thoughts and prayers.
    All the Best

February 10, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  45. bull

A truly extraordinary actor and human being.

All the best.

February 10, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  46. Kim

Lou Gossett is one of the all time greats, and a true Hollywood Star. Long gone are the days when we immortilized the stars of Hollywood, when they seemed 10 feet tall and could do no wrong. Nearly everyday we hear of another "fallen" star wrapped up in drugs, nasty divorces, infidelity, DUI's, murder, and other crimes. I can truly say, I can't recall Mr. Gossett's name being attached to any scandal, and for this day and age it's very honorable.

Thank you Mr. Gossett for being one of the few that we can still place on a pedestal and look up to. After all, stars are for gazing.

My prayers are for your health, and at least one more great movie.

February 10, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  47. Andrew

For Mr Gossett,

I hope you get a chance to read these responses from everyone. My prayers are with you and we all stand by you in spirit as you deal with this challenge. You, sir, are an OUTSTANDING actor, and apparently, an even finer human being!! I have enjoyed your work for decades! I only wish that there was some way that we could help you in person. Good people deserve at least that! Celebrity has nothing to do with it.

Stay strong, sir. I wish you all the best and and success in your fight!!

(Thanks to Jen Wolfe for posting this article!)

February 10, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. nenecats Houston

I have always admired Lou Gossett. He is such a gentleman.
    I along with everyone wish you the very best.

February 10, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  49. Fishin' Guy

Having caught the stuff in its early stages is great and he should live a long and prosperous life with the treatment available today. I was diagnosed early and have several friends that were also diagnosed early and we are all still a'kickin. Good luck Lou in your treatment and film career.

February 10, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  50. Guy Pushe'e

I had the pleasure of doing business with Mr. Gossett while he was filming in Wilmington, NC and so impressed with what a genuine, courteous and down-to-earth person he was. He is a really kind person, (and a great sense of humor!) I wish he and his family all the best in meeting this challenge.

February 10, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  51. Debra R

One of the most under-rated actors of our time. Every performance is of it's self a true gem. Please get well soon Mr. Gossett.

February 10, 2010 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  52. Kathy

A class act? Does no one but me remember, years ago, him being arrested for cocaine and allegations that he gave it to kids?!

February 10, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  53. wow47

I met Lou in 1977 at a mutual friend's house in Malibu. He was a delightful person, sweet, and kind and lovely to be around and so handsome....I only met him that one time. He is a class act and I hope he has a complete recovery!

February 10, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  54. BradKT

Good luck to Sir. I wish you the best. You are indeed a class act.

February 10, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  55. steve schachter

Hey there - long time - I was Chuck's assistant on FIREWALKER ...blast from the past. Wishing you the best and holding great thoughts for you. You were such a gentleman to work with!

February 10, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  56. Terence Brownlow

Mr. Gossett,
    My thoughts are with you....
    What you are doing is a service to so many. Thanks to you, many others will take this seriously and get checked.
    I wish you god speed in your recovery.

February 10, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  57. Summer Davis

Mr.Gossett,

My thoughts and prayers are with you with your battle. I wish you a speedy and successful recovery. I admire your craft as an actor and you are one of my favoriate male actors to date. Take care!

February 9, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  58. John Eckert

I wish you well and a quick and sucessful recovery. I have enjoyed your movies and I think you are one of the premier actors today. God Speed.

February 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Antietam

Do not let them remove your prostate, Bill. My Dr. inserted radiation titanium seeds in 1997 and, now, ten years later, my PSA is.5. You cannot get it much lower than that. The pre-op is murderous, but you get to keep that marvelous little sac.
    GOOD LUCK.

February 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Greg Lintz

Mr. Gossett,

Sir, I would just like to say that in life I have been a huge fan of yours both on and off the stage. I sincerely wish you all the best and will keep you in my prayers.

God Bless you Sir.

February 9, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Larry

I am a prostate cancer survivor and know many others. It is always good to catch it early and consider the options. I opted for a radical prostatectomy, but it has been almost six years and I am still alive and every check has come back less than 0.1. I think that cancer gives us the opportunity to appreciate our days all the more!

Lou, know that I am a fan and my prayers are with you! We should not expect God to spare us from these things, but we can trust God to walk with us through these times.

February 9, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Steve

I worked in an office down the hall from Lou for two years during my time in the entertainment industry. He was one of the few genuine people I met in that time, he would go out of his way to say hello, on the set or out in public. I hope I will have a chance run into him again, after he defeats this cancer.

February 9, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  63. james

I had the luck to meet and enjoy Lous kindness when he was my next door neighbor in the late 70s in Malibu. What you see is what you get..a real gentleman who actually took an interest in you, and so funny ! All of this before he became a big film star. My money is on him beating this.

JS

February 9, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  64. pda

I missed him in movies. Truly, one of the best. An Officer and a Gentleman and Enemy Mine were good. Hollywoods needs to replace many duds with a true "gentleman"

February 9, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  65. A Fan

What a great actor & human being you are. Even when the movies you were in weren't the best...you sure were. You made everything good.
    Good luck in your battle & I'll remember you in "An Officer & a Gentleman" when you called Richard Gere..May-o-naise.

February 9, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. dave

mr gossett
    you are a class act. your work is amazing and you have always been the type of person who always would speak to those in need. im sure folks all over the country and the world will keep you in their prayers. peace thoughts to you always for you and your family.

February 9, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Colin Cline

Let's not forget that Mr. Gossett also co-wrote the song "Handsome Johnny" with Richie Havens. Richie performed the song at Woodstock. Great tune, Mr. Gossett!

February 9, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Stanley Porteur

Hello, Mr. Gossett,
    I just read you announcement anddo wish you the best of luck. I want
    you to know that when I was your age, it was discovered that I to had the same problem. It has been 27 months and my Dr informed me that my PSA at the present is 0.1. I went through six weeks of treatments each day. After the 6th week I was given another one day treatment and I have
    been cleared.

I am making this known, hopefully, other African Americans will go for
    examination.

Good luck!

SP

February 9, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Nancy

Mr. Gossett, my prayers are with you. You have many, many fans as evidenced by those that are writing to comment. You are a wonderful actor and I wish you only the best. Keep us all posted on how you are doing. God bless!

February 9, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jon

I believe one of the first times I ever saw Mr. Gossett perform was on one memorable episode of "The Jeffersons," where he played a rather slimy back-stabbing "friend" of George. Delicious portrayal. Absolutely delicious. Then of course there was "Fiddler." Towering performance. So much restraint. Incredible subtle nuances. And such an indelible character.

Much has been made of the scandal regarding "Roots" and the in-authenticity of its author, but that does not take away from the sheer emotional magnitude of the film itself. There are many, MANY good performances in that series (memorable performances), and just the fact that Mr. Gossett's contribution stands out says so much.

Then... there was "Sgt. Foley!" Ha! Again, an amazing portrayal that stands the test of time. Great film. Memorable moments. But when you think of memorable lines... you think of Foley. Delivered only as Gossett could. When the Oscars were announced, I was afraid that James Mason would take it – as always, Mr. Mason cast a looming and impressive shadow with his sinister portrayal of a corporate master-attorney – and yet... the Academy chose to recognize Mr. Gossett. Well deserved. Well deserved.

I've recently seen a modest-budget Christian film (with Kirk Cameron, I believe) with Mr. Gossett in fine form. The film isn't particularly memorable. The cast isn't particularly impressive. But again, there are those magical moments where the sheer honesty of Gossett's performance are such that you literally CANNOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF HIM. There is one scene I remember distinctly where his character – facing a rather bleak outcome – is led in a simple prayer by Cameron's character. In this moment, again, Gossett lets us see so much of his character by doing so little. An incredible scene.

An incredible actor.

An incredibly underrated actor. I pray for his health and for his family.

February 9, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Sandy

You are a class act the greatest actor!!!! Prayers will and can be answered....

February 9, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Milore

PS...Ms. Wolfe, I hope you see to it that Mr. Gossett receives copies of all these well-wishing thoughts. He may not be in the tabloids every week but he and his talents are certainly not forgotten.

February 9, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Milore

Sad, sad to hear. Besides his dramatic roles, I have him on DVD before he was famous on an episode of "The Jeffersons". He was fine and funny! He opened 'the doors' with his Oscar!

Best Wishes, Mr. Gossett! You have legions of fans.

February 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Charles Nicolson

Mr. Gossett: I wish I knew you personally because then I could call
    you Lou. I KNOW you will overcome this problem of prostate cancer
    because of your inner strength alone. Your outer strength has al-
    ready been proved by the film "Officer and a Gentlemen"

February 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  75. E

Wow, hadn't heard anything about Gossett in awhile. I hope he gets well. Truly an underrated actor if there ever was one. Get well soon!

February 9, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Jeanne

One of the greatest actors alive. My prayers are with you Lou! You are the best.

February 9, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  77. BUNNY

Mr. Gossett, you are the 'bomb'! I have ALWAYS loved your acting and how you carry yourself! You are a great role model for our developing brothers. You will be just fine, God loves you!!

February 9, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Sheliah Johnson

Fiddler...taught ESL...before it became MANDATORY and supported through tax dollars!

Get well VERY SOON, Mr. Gossett, Jr. Please RETURN to us...even MORE DETERMINED to provide your audiences with a glimpse of the past with a FORWARD LOOK...toward the future.

You are a TRUE AMERICAN HERO, AN OUTSTANDING ACTOR and a consummate...human being.

JUST MY THOUGHTS,
    Sheliah Johnson

February 9, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  79. ed

Lets not forget "Firewalker" his classic film with Chuck Norris. An all time favorite that is often forgotten...

February 9, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Veronica

A man that has done it all!! You are an Iron Eagle, a true Patriot and a grand gentleman..

I love everything you have every done. No one here has anything 'bad" to say about this giant of a man. It is hard to believe there are good people in Hollywood!

All the prayers and best wishes as you "defeat" this cancer!

February 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  81. scott nodell

I am a sales manager at a wireless store. ONe of my customers I see once or twice a year came into my store. we were talking about health issues and he told me he had prostate cancer. His doctor is shocked because he was able to cure it naturally. Have Mr. Gossett e-mail me and I will tell him how it was done. If he wants to speak to my customer he is welcome to. thanx. Scott

February 9, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Larry S

Best of luck Lou. One of the few celebs about whom I've never heard a bad word. Must be a class act for sure. Looking forward to your next project.

February 9, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Shayna

OMG. I love him so much. We even share the same birthday (May 27th). My prayers are with Mr. Gossett. He is such a great actor and it's sad to see him have to endure something like this. I can truly say I was touched by all of his acting debuts.

February 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Neil

I golfed in a charity tournament in Toronto and Lou Gosset jr was in the foursome in front if us so we were often waiting at the tees beside him. Horrible golfer but loved to laugh at himself and was a genuinely kind seeming man. Also, it was humbling to know that even at his age he could probably still whup my arse.

February 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  85. S Trecul

This is the first time that I have left a comment on a CNN blog, I can remember the first time that I saw an Officer and a Gentleman, All of my friends talked about Richard Gere, I was in love with Lou, He is truly a class act and a gentleman in all respects, My son is majoring in film studies at SBCC, He grew up in Paris France and if I could have a wish come true, he would have an opportunity to meet "my gentlemen".

My prayers and thoughts are with you Lou, Courage is something that you have taught all of us who have listened to your voice and understood your messages,

February 9, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Bryan

A real class act for sure. I certainly wish him and his family nothing but the best as he fights this terrible desease. He is certainly an inspiration and so many in Hollywood could certainly learn from the example he sets by treating people with respect.

February 9, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Valerie

"ONLY STEERS AND QUEERS come from Arkansas, and I don't see any horns!".....

THE BEST!!!

And let's not forget his portrayal of "Fiddler" in Roots, I was a small child back then, but STILL was touched by his acting in that!

February 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Terry

All the best to you Lou. I have been a fan for quite a long time. You are one of those actors that no matter the movie if you are in it I will check it out. It does my heart good to see someone write something good about someone. You Rock!

February 9, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  89. earl schlegel

Prayers and thoughts to Mr. Gosset Jr. One of my favorite actors.

February 9, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Eric from Richmond, VA

Wow, this is crazy. I just randomly ordered Diggstown on Comcast on Demand last night at 2 in the morning. Just a little over 12 hours later I learn this. Very sad; the guy is so cool. Prayers sent.

February 9, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Dr. No

He's an Iron Eagle !! Best wishes Lou !!

February 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Hitman1970

Officer and a Gentleman and Enemy Mine are two of my favorite films. What a great actor!

I hope he does well in his battle with cancer.

February 9, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |