February 9th, 2010

Ashton Kutcher, Gabourey Sidibe join Leno for last show

A few weeks after Conan O'Brien bid a star-studded farewell to the "Tonight Show" - complete with a performance from Neil Young - Jay Leno's time has also come.

Not to leave the network, mind you, just to close the curtain on NBC's failed prime-time experiment, "The Jay Leno Show," tonight at 10 p.m.

It's kind of like deja vu, but instead of handing off the mic to another comedian, Leno's going right back to where he started. "Leno" will soon be just a memory.

Leno's exit from "Tonight" included a segment that showed off how many times members of his staff reproduced. The end of "Leno" will have three guests for the 10 @ 10 part of the show. The host will be joined by "Precious" actress Gabourey Sidibe, Ashton Kutcher and NBC Sports' Bob Costas.

After tonight, NBC plans to air "Law and Order: SVU" at 10 p.m. Wednesday, followed by extra "The Office" love in the same time slot Thursday.

Leno will return to the Peacock Network on March 1 as the once and future host of the "Tonight Show."

Filed under: Late Night comedy • television

1. Molly

WKRP in Cincinnati – a show that rocked!
    Jay – welcome back my friend! I can't wait to be in bed wth you again. I've missed you so much. See you soon...

February 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mimo

IT'S BABY BOOMERS vs. THE JACKASS GENERATION ...

One has a funny stand-up comedy monologue with a great band and lots of skits like Headlines, Ebay Sold-Not Sold, Dollar Store items, Photobooth, Pump Gas News, etc.

The other has a funny looking carrot-top guy (with a sidekick who is funnier than him) , who appeals to an immature, moronic sense of humor and who has the WORST BAND EVER !!!!

Its no wonder Jay Leno comes out the winner !

February 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TVFan

So he's leaving. No one watched him at 10 and they didnt watch him at 11:30 – thats the reason they took him off. The guy wasnt even good at Doritos commercials. He needs to stay home with his cars and retire. Other decent comics move on – but then again he's not really a comic is he? Just a face with a chin. Send him to Haiti!

February 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. headdivaincharge

They are just putting him back on the Tonight Show? Wow – poor Coco really did get screwed.

February 10, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. fdawg

Jay has an genuine connection with his guests and they feed off each other, making for great entertainment. Conan is about as funny as a puppet show and kinda reminds me of one actually. The only ones thinking he is funny is himself and a couple dozen followers on here for whatever reason. Go Jay.

February 10, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. nenecats Houston

I like Jay. It depends on his guests whether I turn from Letterman.
    Saw his interview with Tavis Smiley. It was fun to see him interviewed
    since he has done so many himself through the years.

February 10, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lola

JAY rules....plain and simple.
    ...and he better bring my man Kevin Eubanks back to 11:30pm with him. YUMMY !!!!!

February 10, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. karyn

Yay! Jay at 11:30 is were he belongs!! He was up aganist popular shows at 10 and that made it hard fror him. Watch out Letterman!! May take a year or two to get back to number one but he will. To me he will awalys be number one!

February 10, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. GDAWG

Any of these "late night" guys now couldn't hold Johnny Carson's jockstrap. I don't waste my time with any of them.

February 10, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bruno

It's too bad that Conan couldn't take all the Conan "fans" (if that's what they can be called) along with him in his departure. May he never re-appear on TV again. Actually, he has a face meant for Radio.

Why don't all you Conan Whiners get over it. He's gone. Good Ridence! Please email each other and stay off the blogs with all your pitiiful complaints. Aside from you people Jay Leno is very well liked and appreciated.

Jay is a Pro. He had the Number 1 show when he had the Tonight Show and he will be Number 1 again.

February 10, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Debra R

Get used to that last show mentality dude! You won't last much longer.

February 10, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. Brenda Thomas

This whole situation has been a joke! But I'm not laughing since Conan is not on the air anymore. I do not watch NBC at all and I especially can't even look at Jay Leno!

Conan is by far the better comedian and person.

February 10, 2010 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. shellila

My respect to Jay L....but PLEASE for god sake....shut that damn show down...There has been so much talk about ending it, but once again the program is still on going. I have been a fan of Jay L but after all these talk of closing the program down..i KINDA' EXPECT IT TO SHUT DOWN ONCE AND FOR ALL.

February 10, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. chris

Leno is the best, there's nobody funnier. Letterman doesn't even come close. His top 10 is the most boring part of his show. The very few times I've watched him, I've sat there waiting for the top 10 to make me laugh, to no avail. Leno is the best and always will be no matter if this bump in the road with Conan hangs in the air for a bit.

February 10, 2010 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Curt Green

Well, I'm a 31 year old male , Living in Edmonton Alberta Canada.I have grown up with Jay and Conan, (yes, we get most american tv shows). 1992 was it ...when Jay took over for Carson,I was 13, and I still vaguely remember the stink about Jay and letterman (thank god my parents didn't care what time I went to bed ) As the years past, I found myself developing a sense of Humor, and realized how funny Conan was, and how not Funny Jay is. Jay is doing a dirty dirty thing in my books, like what NBC did to Howard Stern, so they did to Conan .I will never ,ever , watch the tonight show again, ever, and allot of my friends agree, his time was up with the Jay Leno show, NBC really messed this one up.Thats why it failed. I really hope that Fox picks up Conan, and Ill be checking in regularly to see. NBC has lost me, no hit shows, milking what they can out of old shows ,old Ideas, SNL,, booooo,, law and order,boooooo,,everything they got is gone. NBC, is no more .

February 10, 2010 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bill

I will start watching the tonight show when NBC decides to bring back Johnny Carson. Till then its Letterman.

And oh that Conan guy? Like Howard stern , plain boring!

February 10, 2010 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  17. Sharon

Conan would have been great if Leno wouldn't have preceded him..
    nobody watches two tonight shows.....
    Leno had this planned all along....put his show first, Conan doesn't get the viewers and he goes back to his Tonight show.

February 10, 2010 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
  18. Aetius

Leno is hilarious. Conan and his "awkward is funny" crap never worked in late night, he was just on so late before NBC didn't really expect much. Leno is perfect in the timeslot and show style, always has been. Oh, and i'm in my mid 20's so the whole "Conan is for young people" B.S. doesn't hold water.

February 10, 2010 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  19. anti jay

Fact: All supporters of leno are over 60 Fact:

February 10, 2010 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jayson Spence

Are you kidding me! The only person who thinks his return is awesome is Jay Leno himself. He is a fourth degree phony. Has he ever done anything original. He only has Howard Stern to thank for his material.

February 10, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  21. MrBo

*YAWN* who's this Leno guy?
    Oh yeah, the jackass who got callously pushed out by NBC from the Tonight Show ;'(

Watch his crappy 10pm ratings follow him to 11:30pm

February 10, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  22. Frank

For cryin' out loud, people...there's room on TV for Jay, Conan and Letterman. You watch whoever you want...it's called freedom of choice. Personally, I liked Jay's prime-time show...he brought in a number of new/different things. I liked Conan, too...although I think his show was just a tad too glitzy. But, the bottom line is there's room for all these guys...if you don't want to watch Jay, fine, don't tune in. Same goes for Conan or Letterman. Get over it!

February 10, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sterling

Wow. The poor guy looks like he's on the edge of a stroke. I don't exactly love him as a comedian, and I agree the way NBC has treated O'Brien is despicable, but I have to feel some sympathy- he looks like he's been put through the wringer.

Putting together a show five nights a week is no small amount of work at the best of times. I have to give anyone who can do it a measure of credit.

February 10, 2010 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  24. David

NBC will probably get back their elderly viewers who happen to still be a wake at 11:35. Their younger viewers are apparently not too important to the Peacock network. They'll scatter and take their viewership elsewhere, including to wherever Coco ends up.

NBC's decision makers are out of touch. They've grown old and stale.

February 10, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  25. Labron

Leno should be ashamed of himself for the crap he’s pulled. I used to think Leno had some talent, I just preferred Ferguson, or Conan. They just seem to connect to most in this economy versus an old has-been with raccoon colored hair. I wouldn’t watch Leno and I hope everyone see’s him as the failure he’s become.

February 10, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  26. Old people

Randy W. February 9th, 2010 8:42 pm ET

Dear Old People,
    Congrats. on getting Leno back to his 11:35pm slot. Your inability to accept change is a cornerstone of Americana...Your baby boomer mind set is coming to an end and I'm glad I will be alive to watch as Leno crashes and burns...Gordon Geckko said it right in Wall Street...Greed is GOOD!!! Conan see you on Fox this fall.....
    ---------------------------
    Dear young people.
    If Conan was so great, why did his rating suck?
    Oh yeah... you didn't watch him either.
    Signed... us old people.

February 10, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  27. A Man On The Street

Jay Leno is a devious, no class, hack!
    I stopped watching the Tonight show long ago when this back-stabber took it over from Johnny Carson because I could see through his charade and could not stomache what I saw!
    His apathetic senior citizen audience should be ashamed of themselves to find humor in anything this weasel spews!
    The decision to screw over Conan O'Brien was a huge mistake that NBC will surely regret ..once the ratings start to tell their tale!!
    Jay Leno will go down in history as the man who ruined the Tonight show.

February 10, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  28. kevin from San Francisco

Leno's 10pm show SET was a mess! Who in heck gave him that set with multi-colored panels that was more suitable for an MTV teen host or even a game show set. Second big mistake was talking away Leno's DESK! Leno looked like a fish outta water with that side-by-side chair arrangement. Stupid! It seems obvious that when Leno moved to 10pm, they'd just re-create his basic tonight show set - the desk and curtain have been fixtures of this genre since the 1950s!

BTW, I loved Conan's last weeks. Awesomely suspenseful wondering what they'd say next. This is the kind of tension that makes for good comedy. Craig Ferguson for the win! He's got the energy and style to pull off late night hosting. Leno is busted. Sorry.

February 10, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  29. Guest

will anyone even notice? I think not!

February 10, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  30. Tom

I have been seeing these Leno/Conan postings for weeks on end. This is the first time I have ever posted my own comment on any of these sites. I just wanted to say that I am amazed that there are so many people who actually care about the subject. If they were all to leave the airwaves they would be forgotten about in short order. There is always something new around the corner.

February 10, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jay

Everyone talking about Conan's ratings needs to learn about lead-ins. Leno was a TERRIBLE lead-in. Leno's horrible ratings made it impossible to succeed.

There is literally no way Conan could have decent ratings with Leno's bad bad show in front. There is a reason the affiliates complained... Leno's show was killing their news ratings which in turn was killing Conan's ratings.

February 10, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  32. Lexie's Mom

YEAH!!!! Jay Leno will be back. He is the best!
    I will miss the 10pm show as I was able to watch the entire show, but I will still watch the Tonight Show. The Tonight Show was nothing without Jay Leno. Conan O'Brien was the absolute worst. If he jumped in the air one more time, I was going to throw something at the TV. I could not stand his little stupid sophomoric humor.

Am so glad that Jay Leno's "Headlines" on Monday nights will continue. He always made my day end on a laugh....Thanks Jay!!

February 10, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  33. Nick

Jay floundered on the Tonight Show for years when he was given the reigns after Carson, and only got a boost when Hugh Grant appeared on his show after his hooker fiasco in 1995. Conan never had a chance to cultivate his audience in seven months, and having the disadvantage of a lousy lead-in like The Jay Leno Show certainly made it an even steeper uphill battle. Jay is a comedian for an older audience, playing it safe and playing it boring in my opinion, and NBC wanted to have it both ways by keeping both which was the ultimate mistake. Jay chose to not gracefully leave after giving the show to Conan, and he's certainly not the "class act" he likes to portray himself as. This is the second time he's arguably snatched the Tonight Show from someone else. How long does he expect to do this?

To people who don't like Conan's humor, that's perfectly reasonable. I was watching him. However, to say it's Conan's fault for not getting the audience in 7 months is unreasonable, because if that same standard was held for Jay, he would've been booted as well. There's validity in pointing out Jay was #1, but NBC chose to keep Conan in 2004 and should have stuck with him if that was the choice they made and the deal they promised him.

The executives changing their mind and trying to accommodate Jay at the last minute to have it both ways was ridiculous, and I've not found any reason to think Jay handled this with any class. He claims that he felt the 10PM show would never work, yet he did it anyway, and waited in the wings to take back what he had. Jay should take a moment to remember the years he was failing in the ratings when he helmed the Tonight Show desk, and that making it to #1 wasn't obstructed by a 7-month deadline and a failed lead-in. If Carson gave up the Tonight Show to host a show just before Jay's tenure at the Tonight Show, what do you think would have happened?

February 10, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  34. CoCo CoCo

Oh, yeah, Jay isn't leaving tv. "Hey, did ya hear the one about..."

BOR-ING. Jay and your old fart audience, enjoy the brainless "Jaywalking" skit where you match the wit of your audience with the wits of people on the street. High comedy. Right.

February 10, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  35. Mikey

Conan's not funny, in the least. His sidekick isn't funny, in the least, and I hate, HATE the way the drummer acts and I don't like the band.

Did I leave anything out?

February 10, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  36. Sharon

Leno is smarmy. How many times can he play this "aw shucks I'm just a blue collar guy lookin' out for my staff" routine before someone pulls a "Leno" on him. I didn't watch him as Tonight Show Host or host of his 10:00 abortive effort. I am a Conan fan all the way, and as a Nielsen family I am so glad I got to fill in my Nielsen book with Conan viewing before he was fired. Good luck Jay but remember, the people you step on you will meet on the way down.

February 10, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  37. Bud

Thanks, Norma.

And to those who say "where were you Conan supporters – why didn't you watch?" – I did watch. But nobody asked me if I watched. And I was entertained. And Neil Young said something very important to Conan on the last show – "thank you for supporting new music". Conan's Tonight Show will be remembered for that among other things – and I'm sure he'll take the same approach when he rises again.

February 9, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Bill

Finally, now it's time for the 'big' O.

February 9, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Pat

Jay is the man! Conan is the man! Dave is the man! They're funnier than all of you idiots

February 9, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Anthony

Who in the world ever thought that Conan would win over enough fans in the 11:30 slot? After a decade and a half on Late Night, he still was so difficult to watch. His delivery is deliberate and painful to endure. His actions sophomoric, even though he is pushing 50! He has not grown into a better comedian. He's a good writer, but his jokes are better left to one that has the natural knack to make them better. He makes Fallon look good!

Not that Jay Leno is much better. His comedy is aimed at audience age in their mid-70's. However he is easy to watch and good for helping you fall asleep, should you need the sleep aid. The only decent late night host is Letterman. He's old, but still edgy. If you want someone that makes you laugh, pick Craig's show. Too bad he's on way too late.

Let's face it, none of these shows are worth watching on their own. They are just something to watch when there is nothing else on, that's all.

And about giving Conan only 7 months...Hey they gave Chevy Chase 7 weeks, right? 30 million when you can't deliver? I'll shed no tears for Conan. He'll pop up again and will get the exact same size audience he got on his 12:30 spot...but that should be enough for Fox to keep him on the air.

February 9, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  41. morey

carson was the class of the field, letterman the rightful heir. leno was/is an aberration that stuck. occasionally funny, leno's returbn is predictable.
    letterman rules .

February 9, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Patrick

Jay Leno sucks, I cannot understand why he beat Letterman in the ratings for so many years. Letterman and Conan have talent, Leno doesn't. But, as we all know, mediocrity is easier for stupid people to appreciate than genius.

February 9, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Christine

Love love love JAY! So glad he's going to be back on at 11:30! By that time, I am all ready to settle into bed and watch...the 10pm time slot just didn't work for me!

February 9, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Brian

I like Jay Leno much more than Conan. Conan's humor is stupid and not suited to the 11:35 slot. I liked Leno at 11:35, and he was the same at 10:00. I especially liked him at 10:00 because it was a better time for me to watch...11:35 is a bit late. NBC should have left their line-up along...it worked...why change what works?

February 9, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Pat

Each of these 3 comedians offer a different type of comedy. The Tonight show is perfect for Jay Leno as his monologue is the best and he relates well to his guests. He is not the slapstick kind of guy like Johnny Carson was. I love his jokes about the various celebs and politicians, Headlines and Jay-walking. Natural humor- laughing at ourselves.

Letterman tries to be funny, but other than his Top Ten list and his white socks- that's about it. Who wants to hear him cry about his affairs, his heart surgery and dumb jokes. Some guests he slights in his interview and doesn't leave me with any new info on the person. He is too big on himself!

Conan is for the younger crowd. He tries some slapstick, some monologue. He usually does best with his sick and sometimes in- poor- taste bits. He was not meant for the Tonight show. I seldom found him funny. And I hated his guest line-up- definitely meant for the younger fans. Oh well – diversity is good!
    Good luck Jay – I will be watching you!

February 9, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Brandon

this is all just too confusing. i mean is he going to be no tv or not?? for the love of everything righteous!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  47. BabaBooey

I wish he would just go away. He only steals other peoples skits anyway.

February 9, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Philip

I never thought Leno was all that funny when he started on the Tonight Show. And as for all of this "Leno isn't the bad guy" talk, this whole situation would not have happened if Leno had just said "No" to his "retirement plan" 5 years ago. His ratings were good, so I think his words would have had some effect. So, I think he is at least partially to blame. Watching him trot out his "it wasn't me" routine turns my stomach. Yeah, just like it wasn't Leno when Letterman was supposed to get the Tonight Show. Leno is a hack.

February 9, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Gerald

I feel sorry for Jay but glad he will be returning for the Tonight Show. All you Conan fans out there should have watched him do the Tonight Show and maybe his ratings would not have been down 49% and he would still be the host. Kinda hard to feel sorry for Conan to walk away with 30 million in his pocket. Conan will be back and then it will be a real test to see how well his fans support him.

G

February 9, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jason

It's about time that Leno was re-instated, he should have never left the Tonight Show, Conan is one of the worst comedians out there, and Letterman is a total dumbass...

February 9, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sergio

The fact that so many morons like Conan, tells the story of where this country is heading .... down the drain... Conan sucks, at least Jay is funny.. Every time I happen to change the channel and see Conan, I couldn't believe the guy was still on!

February 9, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Alex

To all you Conan fans – where were you when his ratings were so low, when he drew 1/2 the audience Leno drew at 11:30? He didn't produce the numbers and regardless if Leno would have outright left NBC, Conan would be in the same situation he is in today. NBC, for better or for worse, was not patient with his low ratings and he would have been let go no matter what Leno did. You all take it so personally – it is business and there is a lot of money involved and Conan was not bringing in the advertising revenue – Leno does and will continue to.

February 9, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Minnesota Joe

Jay at 1130 again?? What are they thinking. They should have left Conan. His audience is mainly young people. Those people are only getting older and will have be logging more TV time as they get older. NBC = Unbelievable.

February 9, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. statler

Two lines from this story that I wish read differently. Lenos time has come and Leno will soon be a memory....

February 9, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  55. R

I think both Jay and Conan are great, and the shows should've stayed the way they were previously. They both display very different types of comedy – Jay is a bit more mature and reserved, whereas Conan is more immature, and that's why he was more appealing to the late night watchers, who are generally the younger crowd.

I'll still be watching Jay – he's great!

February 9, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  56. L Spynner

I LIKE HIM BUT::: I REFUSE TO feel sorry for the so called comedian who was really and truly not ALL that funny: "CONAN" yes, repeat this with me: he was truly, not all that funny. Personally, he (Conan) may be a nice guy and I'd like him more or less in person. But, do you really, really think he's funnier?
    ***His numbers and ratings did it to him, no one else! If he was pulling in the #'s, this wouldn't be an issue at latenight right?

I pretended to try and force laugh at his corny jokes, perhaps while inebriated, you know, drunk, you' know, like his audience, but he finished filling the job that insomnia, disorientation and xtra liquor and nonsense laughter completed. That's all folks. Don't fool yourselves. Conan knew it too. . See you guys, the numbers don't lie much. If he was pulling in the crowds that Leno did, this wouldn't be an issue at all. I dare you to tell me I'm wrong about that peeps...

February 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Randy W.

Dear Old People,

February 9, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Gary Sandals

Conan will go to Fox and fail.
    He will become the personal tour manager for Gary Sandy of WKRP in Cincinnati. Don't know who he is? My point exactly.

February 9, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Josh

Jay Leno had his time on the Tonight Show; NBC really screwed over Conan and it made me not want to even watch the Tonight Show anymore, I'll stick with David Letterman.

February 9, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Ditto

Great! Couldn't wait for Jay's coming back to the Tonight Show. He was No. 1 and he will be again. Leno is simply well-known worldwide. Conan and Letterman are just another stupid American image on TV. Where are Conan supporters when his rating were down 49 percent??

February 9, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  61. dawn

Fantastic!

Now I can begin the countdown until you no longer host the Tonight Show for the second time!

February 9, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  62. I hate Leno

Too bad it's not the last night of Leno all together. What a shmuck.

::whining:: it's not my fault, what was I supposed to do?

You were supposed to retire you big bag of hot air.

February 9, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Abigail

Jay has always been a class act. Conan has such sophomoric humor that he was destined to fail at the Tonight Show time slot. NBC did Jay a huge disservice by 'retiring' him 5 years ago and actually thinking that Conan could carry the slot. The sad thing in all of this is that it made Jay out to be the 'bad' guy, which he certainly isn't.

February 9, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  64. BKO

I'm happy for all the simple people who will get their simple comedy back after the Olympics. I get it, there's an unintentional turn of phrase in that headline! That's funny! Typos are hilarious!

February 9, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Annia

Conan was not funny. Stop feeling bad for him. If they give me half of what they gave him, NBC can fire me any day. Jay is funnier. I will watch him as I have always been. David Letterman needs to get over himself, too. He's just too senile looking. Can't pay me enough to sleep with him. UGGGGG!!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Spencer

I am sure Johnny Carson has rolled twice in his grave. What "The Tonight Show" represents is mediocrity in a world dying for something original and fresh.

February 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Joel

Jay was OK on the Tonight Show, but Conan was always much, much, MUCH funnier, and Conan had better writers, skit actors, and a better band to boot. I used to watch Jay on the Tonight Show and at 10, but now that NBC has booted Conan, I am too disgusted to watch the Tonight Show with the old guy ever again. It'll be Dave and Craig for me until Conan comes back in September!

February 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Rlg

I like Jay Leno, always have, always will and know he will to do well with "The Tonight Show". He's a trooper from way back and worked his way up thru the ranks. Good Luck, Jay!

February 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  69. b

Well, I guess I'll be watching the "Tonight" show, I refused to watch it when the un-funny Conan was on.

February 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Nurse Betsy

This looks like a booking photo! I"m sorry the 10:00 didn't work out....I'll have to rely on TIVO for the new show, since I get up at 5:00 to go to work. Good luck, Jay.

February 9, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Nikki

I won't be watching Jay Leno anymore.

February 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Bev

I'm glad Jay is coming back. He's a funny guy! I wish I had a crystal ball to see that Jay will have fewer viewers. People who know this, what does the economy look like in the future. Conan's sense of humer isn't funny. I'm glad he's gone. I agree with GDavis. Jay isn't the one who created this whole mess. Don't forget the people Jay helps! He deserves being back.

February 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Charlie

Jay Leno is a lazy comedian who's embarrassing to watch.

February 9, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Gary

All you Leno bashers never watched Conan either. Just a bunch of whiners on this site. I gave Conan six months five years ago when they announced this idea and I was just about right.

Leno will be #1 again regardless of what the non-believers here say.

February 9, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Annie

J. Ripper : Who's Carson? Thanks for the O'Crud I'm old moment! Google Johnny Carson. That's when latenight was Great!

February 9, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  76. I'm With Coco

Karma demands that Conan move over to Fox and proceed to kick the crap out of both Letterman and Leno. One CoCo to RULE THEM ALL!

February 9, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  77. GDavis

Why are people so down on Jay Leno? He didn't orchestrate this whole fiasco. His show failed, Conan's Tonight Show stint failed, and that's that. Jay never stole his show back from Conan. If Conan's numbers had been solid, he would never have been asked to leave.

February 9, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Tube

Jay sucks. Not funny. Not original. Boring. Bad interviewer. NBC if you don't want Conan, hire somebody else.

February 9, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Samantha

YAY! Connan is FINALLY off the air! Welcome back LENO!

February 9, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  80. nizzat

I agree with Sam

I used to watch Leno at 11:30 but since he's been on at 10 and Conan went through all this BS, count me out! I'll see Conan in the fall!!!

February 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  81. power

Jay Leno was fired 5 years ago from the Tonight Show, to keep Conan from jumping to another network. NBC foolishly went ahead with their 5 year plan, when the Tonight Show with Leno was #1 in the ratings...
    Seeing he was #1 in the ratings, and suffering in ratings at the 10/9central hour, NBC decide to be CHEAP (shock) and made the Leno Show – which was far less expensive than a single 1 hour drama, and way big savings over producing 5.
    Leno achieved what the Network wanted – his 11:30/10:30C ratings at 10/9C. What it did not do was satisfy the affiliated stations, as the ratings did not make for good lead in for the local news. Hurting the affiliated station's advertising revenue.
    Meanwhile Conan had ratings similar to his old Conan Show, and no where close to Leno's Tonight Show. He had 7 months to try. Typically, you have far less in this situation. Former Leno watchers switched to Letterman in droves (Letterman is now the #1 show.)

Leno did not have the power to take the Tonight Show back, nor force Conan out. Far from it. NBC, looking at revenue – tried to swap Leno back to the 11:30/10:30 time to increase views and the ad revenue as he was proven to be a #1 at that time slot, jilting Conan, like they did Leno, only 5 years later. Conan was wiser and left. Leno showed loyalty to a poorly run network, and stayed, which falsely made him the villain.
    The real villains? The bean counters and execs at NBC. Poorly handled Jay 5 years ago, and now Conan. Jay, due to his loyalty or need of a big paycheck, gets to look like the bad guy, when it is not his fault.

February 9, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  82. David

Glad Leno is back. As to Conan leaving, good riddance. Conan could have had 7 years instead of 7 months and his show never would have "developed." Thank you NBC for bringing funny back to late night TV.

February 9, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  83. ken williams

Jay Leno will be watched again at 11:30 because he still has the best monologue, and big stars will still want to promote their movies on The Tonight Show,

Jay will be big again,

February 9, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Sally

So what's so funny about a 6'5" man jumping up and down and then twirling around? Oh and let's also mention how he pulls at his suit coat. Is that to distract from the fact that he really has no talent? What would have happened if Jay had not had a 10:00 show and the NBC executives just decided to replace CO CO because his ratings were not what they expected? 17 years of #1 ratings says a lot.

February 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  85. BC44

Sounds like a good lineup of guests tonight.
    I'll give him a chance at his old 11:30 stand after the Olympics. I haven't become that angry and cynical - it wasn't his or Conan's fault that NBC execs were so STOOPID!

February 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Sheliah Johnson

Jay:

Conan engaged in "childish CONTRIVED humor"...while you and Letterman produce "ADULT HUMOR!" My twelve year old son and I...are "delighted" you will soon return to the Peacock Network...in the position you DESERVED to hold... until you CHOOSE to retire!

Welcome Back.......

JUST MY THOUGHTS,
    Sheliah Johnson

February 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Sera

When Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show, that was my choice. When Jay was on at 11:30 – I watched Letterman. When Jay was on a 10 pm, I would rather have watched paint dry, but discovered a big-wide-world of other channels to watch! So Letterman time it is!!

Agree with the comment that after NBC treated Conan the way they did, they don't deserve to have people watch. I think that Jay hedged a bet in moving to 'prime-time' and lost. NBC should have left him the man out.

February 9, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Hurley

Jay Leno is a class act and I look forward to his going back to his old timeslot . For all the delusional Conan fans – Jay wasnt king of latenight for nothing you know ... watch and learn.

February 9, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  89. iluvmycats

i love jay. i watched him when he took over the tonight show for the whole time he was there. i watched every show on the jay leno show and i will be watching it tonight. when he goes back to the tonight show in march. i will watch him.as far as letterman, i don't find him funny just boring.conan, acts like a sophomore kids that never knew that he grew up. and don't get me started on kimmel, fallon.

February 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  90. paul mitchell

i hope he doesn't pull a brett farve on us. bret til you puke!

February 9, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  91. rich

Conan was great at 1230am he should have stayed there. He had ZERO compitition there. At 1130 he had to battle Letterman a funner version of Conan. It will be interesting when the 3 go head to head to head

February 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  92. DIMITRIOS

I honestly like Jay Leno and think that he is way funnier than Conan O'Brian's lame, stupid jokes!!!!! You guys must be lame if you laugh at Conan's jokes........HE IS NOT FUNNY!!!!!! If any person who is right for the job, it has to be JAY LENO, he deserves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Randy T

big deal jay is gone for now... good riddance...thank goodness Conan didn't buy into the lame Superbowl commercial... Letterman showed his true colors on that one... as did the Big O. 3 letters for ya Conan... F-O-X 3 letters for you Jay – C-Ya!....

February 9, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Big Al

I am not a big fan of either Jay or Conan, but I also am not a hater. Because of what NBC did to Conan and out of principle, I will be sure to boycott The Tonight Show permanently. You just don't treat Conan the way he was treated by NBC.

February 9, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  95. J. Ripper

Who's Carson?

February 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Geno

I still like Jay. I'll watch him when he goes back to the tonight show. I tape Letterman so I can watch him later. NBC should have never made the switch. I do feel bad for Conan but, hey, Conan will land on his feet. He's too hot a commodity for someone NOT to pick him up. He'll probably get an 11PM gig from FOX and all three of the late night guys will continue to make their millions.

February 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Dave

Glad Jay Leno will be back where he belongs. NBC should have never made him step down because they were afraid Conan would leave.
    Conan never fit his humor is for late Tv.Everyone has a different sense of humor so to each his own,but where were all you conan lovers before?? you didnt watch his show.
    All the fault is NBC execs who screwed u not Jay or conan.

February 9, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Will

I LOVE!!!!! Jay and am glad he is getting Tonight back. NBC made a mistake letting Conan have it he is NOT FUNNY AT ALL!!!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Fail

I have not watched the tonight show since Carson, Leno just does not have it! Give it up Leno your old and still not funny.

February 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Pat

Jay will be fine. America has a short memory. Conan will reappear in Sept and will have sucess too.

February 9, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Moe Green

Ok, enough already. Where were all the Conan supporters when he was floundering on the air, before he left NBC? Nowhere. I think people like to take sides just to take sides.

Leno is back. He was number one when he left. David Letterman has not upped his game any. Enough with the bashing. It's bordering on pathetic.

February 9, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Norma

I agree with Bud. I believe that if Conan had had longer to develop the Tonight Show he would have been great. I enjoyed Conan when he hosted Late Night, The Tonight, and will watch him when and where he hosts again.

February 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Sam

I think Leno's going to be in for a big surprise when he sees fewer viewers and significantly diminished ratings when he begins his second stint at Tonight Show. The way NBC treated Conan O'Brien was deplorable and I believe intelligent viewers are going to let the network know how they feel by not tuning in. When the inevitable Conan O'Brien show starts later this year on a rival network (probably Fox), Leno's ratings will go even further into the toilet.

February 9, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Pete

Jay Leno is a hack. Not funny. Not at all.

February 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Frannie

I actually liked and watched Jay at 10:00. I won't watch him at 11:30, though, because that is "Letterman time!".

February 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Bud

So what. I didn't watch the Tonight Show regularly when Leno took over from Carson and I never watched this now ending Jay Leno Show. I already miss Conan as he was a breath of fresh air and I'll always believe that he didn't get nearly the time he should have to cultivate his own Tonight Show brand. Had he been allowed to do so, NBC would have had something to build around. Now it's back to the same old same old. No thanks.

February 9, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Jay Kay

I was hoping it would be the last Jay Leno show of any sort.

February 9, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |