February 9th, 2010

Angelina Jolie heads to Haiti

Angelina Jolie has already donated $1 million to Doctors Without Borders for Haitian earthquake relief, and now the actress is planning a visit to the devastated nation as a goodwill ambassador with the UN's refugee agency.

Jolie was in the Dominican Republic Monday speaking with hospitalized earthquake survivors, and will travel to Haiti later today, UNHCR spokesperson Andrej Mahecic said.

Details of Jolie's trip can't be disclosed for security reasons, but it's expected that she will spend her time meeting with more people affected by earthquake.

Jolie has visited a number of countries with the UNHCR, including Iraq, Thailand, Pakistan, Namibia, Sierra Leone and Ecuador.

She told National Geographic in 2003 that she became an ambassador because she realized that for the amount of time she spends traveling, there was still a lot about those nations she didn't understand.

"There were many things I hadn't been taught in school and daily global events I was not hearing about in the news," Jolie said in the interview. "So I wanted to understand...When I read about the 20 million people under the care of UNHCR I wanted to understand how in this day and age that many people could be displaced."

Filed under: Angelina Jolie • Celebrities

1. Karim Khoury

its really funny how people can actually accuse Angie of being hypocrite doing everything she is doing. I think these particular people are so depressed and sick of their meaningless lives and AWARE that they really aren't making any difference so they try to put down others to their level so they would feel better about themselves.
    People WAKE UP ,people like Jolie really do not look for compliments when it comes to charity, all you haters can get a live, or at least keep their meaningless comments to their selves.

February 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michelle St-urbain

As a Haitian thank-you for being there for us. We all appreciated the time you are giving to our people. Ignore those ignorant that does not understand what is it that you are doing. and do not forget Evil mind cannot think like are thinking , because they judge others exactly like themselves, therefore pleople that think like you will alway understand the reason WHY you are doing so much for our Race. and they should be reminded that was an evil mind like theirs that Added to our
    Misery for soo long. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOU FAMILY.

February 12, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Reality Bites

Jolie is there as part of her work with UNHCR (united nations high commissioner for refugees). She has traveled to refugee camps in over 20 countries all over the world for over 10 years. The photographer is there because UNHCR wants it there to document what she does and bring awareness to the long term goals and problems faced by displaced people. It also gives her the chance to customize a donation to the situation (which she has done many times in the past). She has already donated 1 million to Doctors without Borders and an unknown amount to Yele Haiti and SOS Children's Villages. By being on the ground and seeing the conditions she can now send addition specific aid the SOS orphanages. She can report findings back to the UNHCR. She can use the information to discuss what is working and not for future disasters or displacement at world forums and to attempt to change legislation in Washington. And she does it all on her own time and dime paying her way for her field missions.

Would you rather she just sit at home and wring her hands and then forget all about it and buy some new clothes at Kitson's or Barney's? I mean seriously people...if you had the money and the time and the opportunity would you be the shallow shopping tiara'd lap dog socialite or try to temper your privileges by attempting to make a difference for people who need help?

Unless you are doing more for the world then the Jolie Pitt's even with your smaller piece of the money pie.. you should probably hold the jaded criticism.

February 12, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Reality Bites

Ron said "She is an actress. Last time I checked actors do not do much leading in the world. Just a thought."

That's funny Ron. Were you named after Ronald Reagan by chance?

February 12, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Reality Bites

Momo February 9th, 2010 3:07 pm ET Haven't you heard? Adopting Haitian kids has recently become the newest rage...

Actually she went down there to work with SOS (as well as the UNHCR) who is watching unattended, displaced and orphaned children. And to bring awareness that all new adoptions from Haiti should be frozen and the children taken care of in country to give them the best possible change to be reunited with surviving family and keep them safe from child trafficking.

Get your facts straight.

February 12, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. susan

In the end, it does not matter what her motivations are. And frankly, it is none of our business. Her intentions and her actions are at the very least helpful, and at the very best noble. Every person on this planet has a job to do – to learn, grow, evolve. Through her involvement in humanitarian efforts around the world, she is certainly doing that. I commend her with respect and gratitude. For those of you who see the darker side of things, perhaps ask yourself if criticizing others serves you in any way, shape or form. Better look within and see if you yourself are on task with your own learning, growth and evolution.

If you want to change the world, change yourself first.

February 12, 2010 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Shal

Why on earth would there be so many opinions/comments on Angelina going to Haiti I will never understand. It really shows the attitude of people these days....always hatin....

February 12, 2010 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Diane

To all the negative people...stop hating on Angie. She is only doing good! People can never win...if you do bad you get talked about and when you do good you still have people that bad mouth you. Back off and let her help!

February 11, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. virginia

To all of you who have NOTHING nice or positive to say about Angelina, Brad, and the countless others who are CONSTANTLY donating to devastation around our world...How much have YOU donated??
    Nothing is too little, every penny counts.
    Angelina, Brad, Mr. Gates, Bono, EVERYONE to gives to the poor..
    Thank you!!

February 11, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sonya

No matter what good anyone does, people will always have something bad to say. Sure she is rich and famous but she does do a lot and I truly believe that it is out of the goodness of her heart. No one in their right mind would go to the extremes that she has gone just to hear people say, "Oh, Angelina is such a good person." She has power, she has money and she is doing good with it. So what if she takes a little fame for what she does. She is still an entertainer and who cares, the women just gave $1 million of her own money. How can anyone say anything bad about that?

February 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ann

Angelina Jolie is a very nice person. She is a role model and I think the likes of Antonio should emulate her. I wonder why some selfish idiots are judging her like wrongly

February 11, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. John

"Angelina Jolie " Oh look everyone is saved now.

February 11, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Antonio

So let’s see if I get this right, she donates money and goes to Haiti bringing camera crews. Her presents will only draw more attention to what has happened – sounds selfish to me! Meanwhile most people are sitting at home bragging to there friends that they donated $10. What’s the difference?

February 11, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. Katherine

I am 57 years old. I think what Angelina and Brad have done, and continue to do, for the poor and dispossessed of this world is fantastic. WHY are people judging her this way??? What better way to "use" one's celebrity than to shine light on places in darkness? And why NOT say how much money they are giving? It serves to motivate us all to reach deep and help, too. I say, "THANK YOU, Angelina, and keep up the great work!!"

February 11, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. Isabel

What can Ms.Jolie add to the situation to improve it? Raise awareness? What can Ms. Jolie do, that others have not already done?Haiti does not need the so called soul healers or people interested about "understanding world events". This is not a world event, it is a catastrophy. Haiti needs life savers. Let Ms.Jolie do what she does best: donate money and let the real work to professionals.

February 11, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  16. Eiko

For those who enjoy critizing Angelina Jolie, you should know that she gives out 1/3, yes one third of all her earnings to help disadvantaged people.

February 11, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. Leigh

I'm sick of publicity-hound celebrities and sick of hearing about Ms Jolie- These people would deserve accolades if they rolled-up their sleeves and get into the trenches like Mother Teresa used to- then I might be impressed. Giving a donation of a million dollars doesn't impress me; everything is relative- a million dollars to these people is at the same level as the $100 my family gave in relation to our family finances. You will never see my family name (and names of countless other family names) plastered in news magazines and TV and everyone bowing-down saying, "oh, how wonderful and generous you are!". - If you want to give, then just give. Don't have a publicist 'advertising' it.

February 11, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mary

It's sad that nowadays to care about a problem, a celebrity has to bring attention to it. THEN people care.

February 11, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  19. RESPECT SAMUEL

God bless Jolie and all those that are sharing their riches with the poor and needy.I comment the act and allow God to judge the motive

February 11, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. Rocky2peaches

Jolie is always in the news. I am beginning to wonder if she thinks she is some kind of Mother Teresa. I gues she will be taking home another child so she won't have to pay taxes after awhile.

February 11, 2010 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  21. Hu

GOd bless you,Ms. Jolie !We should take action rather than speaking something that make no sense!

February 11, 2010 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. teanah

You haters and your sour grapes make me ill.

Why don't you go direct your hate at people who deserve it? There's no shortage of CNN articles about people who murder, rape and steal. Go comment on those and let those contributing to the relief work alone!

February 11, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  23. flor

God Bless Jolie, and Brad. I love the worked the celebrities are doing, God will reward each and everyone of them helping, they gave all the have it's not only about money, it's their love, their care, and their good judgments to do the right thing. If I have the ability, I would. I thank God for those who did and keep on doing. Rather you give big or small or even a prayer for Haiti you did help. May God bless you all.

CNN is the best in the World.

February 11, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. D Shabazz

Is she going over there to adopt 2-3 children? I wouldn't be surprised.

February 11, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jimmie

What am I missing here with so many negative comments? My gosh, she has parted with a MILLION bucks. If all those celebrities who are singing "We are the World" would follow her lead (instead of singing) the world would indeed be a better place. Thank you Jolie. jb

February 11, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  26. mb

i think shes doing the best she can......i mean after all, at least shes going down there and donating money. theres a lot of people i know who dont even care!!!!!!!!!!!

February 10, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Bullydog

Think of all those available orphans to adopt.
    Madonna will probably be on the next flight right behind her.

February 10, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tracy

For those of you who seem to only have nasty comments – what are you doing to help anyone in need (and not just the people of Haiti)? It kills me that so many immediately jump in with negative comments when someone like Ms. Jolie takes action (its not as if she appears only on PSAs or telethons like so many other celebs- she actually does the work). So to those of you who like to spout ugliness about Ms. Jolie (without knowing her or what is in her heart) get a life.

February 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Get over it

To a country in need, a million is a million. Never mind the source. Never mind if she is genuine. The money is still going to work effectively.

February 10, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sarah

I really want to believe that she cares, but I just get a very strong narcissistic vibe from her. My cynicism tells me that she'll grab up a couple of kids for adoption to add to her collection.

February 10, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Publicity Hound

Why does everybody keep saying she donated $1million dollars. Firs of all it wasn't her money she donated. She donated out of the money that she made from selling her children to magazines. I don't buy her so called humanitarianism, she needs to move to France with all of her children and save us from hearing about her shenanigans.

February 10, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  32. CJ Joseph

Hopefully that nasty skank will stay there...

February 10, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. sue

I appreciate her generosity but I don;t think she is genuine. I hope she is true to herself.

February 10, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Laura

BR- how much did you donate?

February 10, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Laura

All you guys really need to get a life. She is going to do what she can, she donated a million dollars and she is going there to do what she can. I'm sure that there will be photos but i bet in those she isn't all glammed up. You should be bitchin' about the photographers that are there taking all the pics, not someone there trying to make a difference.

I have always said and will always say that she is one of the stars out there that actually has a real heart. All the other ones talk, she gets out there and does.

February 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Antonette

Henry,

Well said. Why is there so much negativity in these posts? People get a clue at least she is doing something, what about you? I applaud her work and efforts. If I could do more I would but I'm grateful someone in her position can.

February 10, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mary

I think she was asked to be a good will ambassador a long time ago. And accepted.
    I don't like her much..
    But I think when it comes to this sort of work, she is sincere.

February 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  38. wlu

I just love what Angelina and Brad are doing, they are good people. If they had wanted, they could have just ignored what suffering is going on out there like many others with their resources, but no.. they are there for the Haitians, for the people of New Orleans and for many others that are disadvantaged. Bravo..Angelina, Bravo Brad.. God bless you. I admire you for what you are doing, keep it up!

February 10, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Michelle

I seriously wonder what the hell is wrong with our society when we revel in the downfall celebrities like Tiger, yet turn around and complain about someone like Angelina doing something good for others. Everyone is so judgmental and it serves no purpose other than to create more conflict and negativity.

I just watched Celine Dion in an interview on Oprah and she talked about participating in the remake of "We Are The World" for Haiti. When asked why she wanted to do it, she said (to the effect), "Because we should, and we can and it's the right thing to do." Leave it at that and quit trying to turn it into something personal photo op or something selfish, because I guarantee, these celebs do more for causes (including those in our own country) than most of the people griping on these forums.

The article is about Angelina going to Haiti to do humanitarian work. It's not about the break up of Jennifer and Brad's marriage. That's so 2000 and late. Get over it people. Apparently, the parties directly involved are handling much better than society is.

February 10, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  40. gabs

look people she is just human and a very humane one at that. she has problems just like everybody else and deals with them just like everybody else. she obviously has more money and can give more but that doesn't make her a saint. I admire her for having the courage to be a single mother if she needs to and to try to be happy if she wants to. I believe more than anything she is a good person and has a good heart. kudos to angie. keep it up.

February 10, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Pam

God bless her on her trip.
    At least she is doing something.

February 10, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  42. br

What's disgusting is that she has $1 million to give away... teachers struggle to make ends meet while we pay 'actors'/celebrities obscene amounts of money to do what contributes little to society. I guess people could take some comfort in knowing that she is sending a little of 'you' to Haiti.. that is your $$ from tickets to her/Brads dumb movies. It's guaranteed that she feels no pain sending $1million...plenty more where that came from.
    She'll walk around Haiti with a concerned face for about a week...then head back to her life-in-a-bubble.
    I'll be impressed when she gives away all her income down to the amount of the median household income in US...Until then I think she is just trying to improve her image.

February 10, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Bert Spooner

Will she help the Haitians like she helped Jennifer Aniston? Inquiring minds want to know!

February 10, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  44. I am a fan

She got me thinking about giving and so I gave, and well before the telethon, and generously. I know a lot of her fans try to learn about what moves her and so we learn and are moved to also help. Not all of us, but many of us. And that is a lot.

February 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sabrina

Wow, there are some nuts cases posting on here..... that really have no idea what they are talking about.. so let me set you straight. Angelina is a very empathic person and she cares about what she is doing.. If Brad and Jennifer were okay, no one could have "stolen" him get over yourselves, Angelina has a right to be angry at her father, Do you even know the story? She is REAL. Whatever.. this is like talking to air.. Good Job! Angie....;)

February 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Richard

This woman is a nut case, and she obviously is riddled with guilt over the way she has treated her father. Helping Haiti is her way of relieving that guilt.

February 10, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Gypsywitch

I liked that she & her partner didn't show up at the glitzy award event that was just couple days after the earthquake. Both she & her partner have been active in local (e.g. New Orleans) and international humanitarian work. Good for them. With all that money, they have reached the point of understanding that real satisfaction with one's self comes from helping others.

February 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Debbie

I am so sick of everyone blaming Angelina Jolie for the break up of the Pitt/Aniston marriage. She has taken the flack for that and unfairly. If Brad strayed – he was the one who was married, not Angelina! And, if he strayed, then there must have been something wrong with their relationship. I'm tired of Jennifer being the poor saintly soul who was dumped and treated unfairly while Angelina is the villian and "temptress" who lured Brad away. I think they are a great couple, I just wish he would stick up for Angelina more – where are your guts dude? Angie does great work so lay off people.

February 10, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Anonymous

Come on negative people! How many of you would truly part with a million dollars if you had it? Probably none of you and probably getting rid of your t.v. or donating a shirt you like to Goodwill is too much for you already!

I don't think we have a right to judge celebrities who donate, especially someone like this one who donates, not just her time, but money to a good cause. And, she has more kids than most of you have. How many of you are not selfish with your own time from maybe one kid to help out at a local food bank on the weekend? Probably none of you! So, judge yourself first. I think what she is doing is great!!!

February 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Kristy

For those of you who are asking what I have done to help contribute to Haiti. Let me tell you....I have done absolutely nothing. Yep I said it i have done nothing and am not ashamed to admit it! Why do you ask? Well I feel that we should take care of our own country first! Everyone is so worried about these other countries that they don't even see what is going on in our own coutry! We have the homeless, orphans, poverty. I feel once our country is taken care of then maybe just maybe I might think about helping out another country, but not until then!
    Our country in billions of dollars in debt, yet we can still donate millions of dollars to other countries! Sure doesn't make any sense to me!!!

February 10, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  51. ME

DEBRA – If she wants a photo op then all she has to do is stand out side her residence. Do you even know how famous Jolie is in the U S of A. Stop hating on people that are willing to take time out of their own schedule to help others. Don't just sit here and post negative comments about people who are trying to help. Keep those to yourself. I don't know how you people sleep at night.

February 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  52. lw

It is kinda creepy to see Angelina Jolie's predatory smile in front of continuous scenes of global tragedy.

Her photo-ops don't really do the world much good........

February 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Caribbean

Go AJ

February 10, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  54. 24601

destiny, if celebrities did not publicize what they do for these organizations and how much they have donated, people like you will also be quick to tear them apart saying, "what have they done for the people? they are drinking champagne with diamonds in the glass and don't even think to look at the poor people suffering in this world." they have to keep up with the magnified exposure to the public whereas silent charity givers can and will remain low-profile. shame on you for being so negative in light of a positive gesture.

February 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Erica V

Why is everyone so critical when someone does a great thing. Not only is she giving away her money, she is also giving her time. I am wondering what all of you complainers are doing for the people of Haiti. Why don't you either pitch in or shut up and quit complaining. By the way, I'm sure that she didn't advertise the amount of money she has given. That type of information is easy to dig up. Reporters include material from a variety of resources and not all content is directly from the interviewee's mouth. That is why reporters provide “updates”, “blog” or “news stories” with their INTERPRETATION OF AN EVENT. Duh… Is it really that hard to figure out? Shame on all of you who spend your time trying to drag down the good efforts of people and for increasing negativity when you could be using that energy in a positive manner.

February 10, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  56. SAL

I hope she likes Haiti so much she decides to stay there and buy more babies there. that way Brad will finally be free hehehhe She is going to find another man or woman and dump him anyway.

February 10, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Pisces

She is not just an actress. She is a Goodwill Ambassador to the United Nations. She has helped numerous charities with her generosity. She donates a large percentage of her annual earnings to charities, which few people are even aware of. She is not doing photo-ops – she simply can't get away from paparazzi & looks gorgeous no matter what. Angelina is not publishing these pics – it's the media. She devotes her time and energy to helping other people. There are not many actresses who would even be bothered doing the humanitarian things she does. She is so adored that she does not have to lift a finger for the rest of her life, yet she chooses to help others. Perhaps she is going to Haiti to check if her $1,000,000 donation goes to the people who need it most instead of going into the wrong hands.

February 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. anonymous

We should worry about New Orleans and surrounding American cities that need our help before worrying about other countries. It seems as though we can't help our own but bend over backwards for others.

February 10, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jennifer P.

Angelina's 'spotlight'/'photo ops' will also bring much needed exposure to the plight of the people of Haiti. I think she should be lauded for her intelligence in recognizing she can use the media to publicize her causes. She is going to be photo opped to death anyway so she might as well use the free publicity to highlight something worthy. Giving away her money would certainly indicate she is serious about helping people. Instead of criticizing her, maybe some of you could volunteer to help others closer to home since we don't all have the resources to help the Haitians.

February 10, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Audrey

So much vitriol on these posts with so little fact to back it up. I am heartened by all the encouraging posts though, especially the one from Sheila Coker. Angie is one of the few of the "rich and famous" that have truly tried to do some good in this world. Good for you Angie! Realize that many of us in the U.S. and in the rest of the world appreciate your good work. How many of us can say that even if we had the life of an A-list movie actor we would be willing to do all these things?

February 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Sonia

She's the Goodwill Ambassador for UNHCR, that's why she's in Haiti. Last time I checked there were quite a bit of refugees/displaced people in Haiti.

February 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Ron

Seriously, what has the freak ever done of any substance other than adopt a bunch of non-American kids and share a bunch of unwanted opinions? She is an actress. Last time I checked actors do not do much leading in the world. Just a thought.

February 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Gingertee

The sheer ignorance of some people scares me. Angelina was one of the 1st to go into Darfur, when the US nor the UN could not offer her protection. Even though she works on behalf of the UN, she uses her own money and has often been called crazy for taking her checkbook with her and writing out large checks during these travels. This Debra person is either blind or deaf because there are too many shots of Angelina on the ground sitting on floors in the poorest of villages. Stop looking at her with Star Enquirier eyes and try to view her as the woman she has become. She has admitted to growing up ignorant of these situations but has dedicated so much of herself to making a difference. Thank GOD she does not care what people think of her, if she did, there would be many dead, hungry, sick people in the world. At least she is doing something good. For all of the celebs that sell their babies photos, she gave her money away.

February 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Shannon

How does anyone know that she was the one anouncing to the world how much she donates? Its not like her career is on a major downturn and she needs the publicity, and aren't non-profits required to report all donations, especially one that large? Its not like someone could just go out back somewhere and legally hand off a million dollars without a soul noticing right?

And on the slim chance she only does these good deeds and donates to these charities to make herself look good – well at least she's doing it (which is more than I can say for alot of the population) and I highly doubt those recieving the aid care why someone gave them the resources that they need to survive.

February 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Amy

Unbelievable how negative some people are. Why can't you all just be thankful that someone is trying to do some good with their money. There are a lot of celebrities out there who never give to any charity. We need more people like Angelina who are willing to give and get involved. I wish I had the kind of money she has to give. It does make an impact. Giving to Doctors Without Borders is a great cause to help out with. Why is it so hard for people to be positive? Do all of you who are complaining even try to give to charity or volunteer your time?

February 10, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  66. jim

Just send your money Angelina. They really don't need you there. Stay home and take care of your own kids, unless you are looking for more kids, which would not surprise me.

February 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mrs. Bull

I dont really have an opinion on Angelina one way or the other, since I dont know her personally. How can anyone be critical of a person's motives for doing something without actually knowing the person?? What I can say is this, I have lived through a disaster (Katrina) and I know what it is like to think you are the only people in the world who are going through this. Your scared, cutoff from the outside, no place to get food, water, gas,..no place to turn to for help. So, regardless of where it comes from via a celebrity, your next door neighbor, a church, a volunteer...ANY help feels like a lifeline back to normal when normal feels so far away. So to EVERYONE who has tried to help Haiti find a way through this, THANK YOU....you will never know how much it means!!

February 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Ambassador

I believe Angelina has done quite a bit for US and abroad, personally and as an ambassador. Don't we all have causes that break our heart. Why does her cause(s) have to match with yours? As for Brad's previous wife, she's busy celebrating 41st b-day with friends and lovers. I think she's just fine without anyone of us needing to come to her rescue. She plays that part very well – blaming Angelina for her divorce and poor me. Angelina is a beautiful person inside and out. I don't think we're helping Haiti by attacking her personally. I wish I had the $ to donate and do all the good that she does. I can only pray for those who step up physically and financially. God bless her and her family. May Haiti and any other impoverished areas receive the necessary aide.

February 10, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Wowza

1) She's been at this for a long time and I truly believe that she is sincere. Her personal life may be 'for the birds', but her help to those in need has been SINCERE.
    2)There will always be haters, so chomp and womp folks, your'e typing and not sending $ or help.
    3)We have the bare necessities to help ourselves here in the US.
    a)she spent a boat load (Noah's Ark typ) of cash to help rebuild NOLA

We are all entitled to our humble, but hell – hate wisely

February 10, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  70. penney

I am willing to bet the people complaining the loudest are the people that have done the least.

February 10, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Susan

Angelina is an UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador who is known as much for physically assisting in these areas as for donating money. There are plenty of instances where she has worked alongside others stacking sandbags, working in orphanages feeding sick babies. It's not just a photo op for her although why one would begrudge her that in the face of her humanitarian work is beyond me. Grow up.

February 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jim

I think it's a bit much for people to expect her to contribute a million dollars AND do manual labor while she's there.

February 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Leo

Oh my goodness! Angelina is here! The crisis is over! All is good now...whatever. She'll probably take a few kids back with her.

February 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  74. tula

Angelina Jolie's trip to Haiti is entirely self-serving; there is no limit to her need to be in the spotlight and labeled a "humanitarian". This is just another photo opportunity for her at the expense of Haiti quake victims who need our full attention and support.

By going to Haiti now she is taking away precious resources from victims who really need it. As a first responder and US&R specialist working on the mission to Haiti I can tell you that the only thing Angelina Jolie (or any other celebrity that really wants to help the victims) can do is give money. That's it. Don't show up, don't look for a spotlight for yourself among the rubble. Just quietly and gracefully send money through the organization of your choosing and stay home. Leave the field work to those of us that know what we are doing and whose job and passion it is to respectfully do our jobs in support of Haiti.

February 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  75. francine

good for ya, Angie!

February 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Karrie Jean

If you can say that about Angelina, I hope you were saying the same about Clinton. He visited Haiti on the day of a recent large award ceremony here in the US. He was back in the US with plenty of time to prepare for the awards.

Sometimes its not about how much someone gives or how much time they can go for. That publicity is something that Haiti desperately needs right now and if it wasn't for a few celebrities and CNN reporters, most people would have forgotten Haiti weeks ago.

February 10, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  77. MC

Who knows what goes on in a marriage behind closed doors - especially with Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt. Headline stories quoted that Aniston didn't want children at the time; she wanted her career. That was her choice, good or bad. Angelina has a choice, too. She didn't steal Brad from Aniston because there was already trouble in paradise. She has done a lot with her humanitarianism. Brad has, too. But it seems to me that a lot of Americans need help, and others want to help other countries before America. That I don't understand. But right now Haiti does need help because of the devastation and all who can get there need to go and help - whether it be labor or money. People just need to quit complaining about others and let them do their job - whatever it may be.

February 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  78. CJ

To taker, kaitlin, and millie – you need to do some research before you make ridiculous statements. it's common knowledge that they both spend a lot of time and money on US communities and causes.

February 10, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  79. jj

She's doing more than the next person, as they say – one is better none! Good for her, I am sure the receiving end will take anything no matter what or who it came from or how it got there.............. It's so easy to complain about a person then it is to DO SOMETHING!

February 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Emily

It would probably be a good idea if Angelina spoke to one of those jailed Americans down in Haiti before she decides to bring any kids back with her to "adopt".

February 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  81. lucy2

I don't particularly like her, but I do think she's sincere about her charity work. She does get involved and gives her time and money, so that's great. As long as she wasn't in the way of doctors and relief workers, I think it was nice of her to go there personally.
    But I do think that while she is sincere and not just for photo ops, she does know that it helps her image too. Usually when negative press about her comes out, it's followed by a story like this. Doesn't mean she isn't doing the work, but there's no doubt she gets something out of it as well. In the long run, if people are helped, that's what's really important.

She does not "work for" the UN. She's a UN celebrity goodwill ambassador, like dozens of other celebs and high profile individuals. It's all in an effort to bring attention to various issues.

February 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  82. ACinCincy

Whine, whine, whine.

All of the people whining on this board – let's do a poll, shall we? How much have YOU personally contributed to help the cause in Haiti? A million? Two?

Doctors Without Borders, I'm sure, is not saying "your money is no good here"...

Also, visiting these countries is part of her JOB as the goodwill ambassador for the UN refugee agency.

Lastly, the reason you don't see more photos of her in "work" clothes is because while she is there, she is NOT courting the media and photogs - she's actually working.

Unlike our illustrious leader, who never misses an opportunity for someone to take his picture with the "tie off and sleeves rolled up".

February 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  83. maria

Dont get me wrong but I think kids in America are lucky enough becausthey have a govt to backup them they have diff orphanages and charities to help them , unlike in the third world country where youhave no choice, Angie is right you have to travel in those countries so you can fell how lucky you are here in America that's why some people who went there they keep on coming back, I saw Katty Perry weeped When she gave donations to the typhoon victims in the Phiippines who have nothing but a wet clothes and living under the tree and their govt cannot do anything either, she was so emotional and said the scenery change her attitude a liitle bit towards some things.

February 10, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Cathy

Amazing woman that's how I expressed my admiration to you Angie. I always keep you and your family in prayer because God has a reason why He keeps blessing you. He is using you for a good purpose in this world. Keep spreading the love and compassion. This world needs a person like you. God bless you indeed!

February 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Tex

Good lord there are a lot of uninformed whiners on this board!?

To those of you doubting the sincerity of Ms Jolie, maybe you should educate yourself a little bit about her involvement and countless journeys with and for Unicef, the amount of time she spends in refugee camps, and the speeches of op.pieces she's delivered over the past 7 years.

Do you really, honestly believe that a woman who is constantly besieged by paparazzi is courting a photo-op?? Then you are truly ignorant.

The reason most celebrities have coverage when they do charity is to simultaneously bring *attention* to the issues, so that the uneducated masses (i.e. a few of you here) can understand what goes on in the world outside your living room.

When was the last time *you* did something worthwhile and benefitting those in need? Christ.

February 10, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Bull

When she get's there,I hope somebody pins her down and forces her to eat something. She's way too thin.

February 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  87. GAPeach

Why does everyone harp on her being a homewrecker? Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Brad's role in his marriage crumbling, or Jennifer's role for that matter. Marriages disolve and people move on, so should you. And for those of you who claim disdain for her because her charity efforts have gone "public", look how much dialog is going on here because of her relationship! People are interested in what celebrities do, and she does a great deal more than most. I think she's the bomb.

February 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  88. aware

how do we each contribute to the greater good of humanity?
    there are no boundaries or borders or "my country" mentality when we reach from the depths of our heart to exercise compassion and understanding.
    forget "united states."
    think "united earth."
    Nunti-Sunya–to the era of transparency and expansion.

February 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  89. maria

Even Angie never adopt a US kid at least they helping in many ways that nobody does unlike some people here in america who always dapend in the goverment and not doing anything for themselves,do you know that they donated bikes for kids in africa so the kids can use it in going to school,they dont want to broadcast it but some US paparazzi did, do you know they helping alot of school children in New Orleans,do you know Brad use their own money and connection to build tha tent city,and yes they use their kid to pose on a magazine for 2 million and that again for charity it means they are not selfish coupleunlike some holywood star who will pose for a magazine and do some telethone and that's it see you in the next cathasthrope

February 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  90. penney

Debra r, what have you done? I personally have family there right now and have sent money. Other than compaining about good people like Angelina Jolie why dont you tell the rest of us what you have done to contribute

February 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Kurt

I think it's very easy to criticize, Angie, and any other celeb for the reasons behind their visits to Haiti. The fact of the matter is that they are packing their bags and making the trip bringing continued focus to a devastated area.

I'm curious how many people who have commented on this article have given money and planned a visit to lend their support.

February 10, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Micky

All publicity is good publicity!

February 10, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Margaret Kelley

To Taker and Kaitlin....have you not heard about the help she and Brad have given to the Katrina victims...and are still building homes there.
    And, what have you done to better mankind?
    Let he that has not sinned, cast the first stone!

February 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Millie

What about the starving children who don't have shoes on their feet in the United States? What about helping our own country?

February 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Doesn'tMatter

I guess none of you remember Brad and Angelina rebuilding New Orleans after Katrina???? Maybe you should look it up...Brad spent millions building houses, green houses for displaced people. Go Brad and Angelina, the two of your aren't considered part of the others.

February 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Millie

She's just trying to make herself feel better after her witch-like move of stealing Brad from Jennifer. After 8 kids, she still feels like crap. No matter how hard she tries, she'll never be able to take that guilt away. She's a man stealer and completely insecure, which is why she does all of these antics in an effort to make herself feel better.

February 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Mike

My wife who is an ER nurse and myself a certified outdoor emergency technician are still waiting to be able to go down and volunteer...yet these celebs seem to be able to get in no problem. Were told that logistics is still very difficult. Maybe the UN should focus on getting care for those still suffering versus worrying about goodwill ambassadors.

February 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  98. cafeangeline

LOVE Angie. She is a role model and a true inspiration. People who accuse her of seeking out publicity has it all wrong. Look what she DOES. Not what the magazines say. She does a lot for the world and she walks the talk. Not like other celebrities. Because of her past and her image, people tend to judge her in a certain way, but I believe that she is a truly caring person who wants to help. Go Angie!

February 10, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  99. Nobody

If Angela being there would raise more awareness, then what is the harm in that?
    Besides, one million dollars is a lot of money, anyone who is willing to donate that kind of money deserves a round of applause.

February 10, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  100. Louie

This woman is always ready for a photo op, never misses anything to get her face on tv.

February 10, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  101. Celeste

Good on Angelina. I really think she's doing a great job. Donating money is easy especially if you can afford it but giving up your precious time and spending it with those in need, listening to their woes, worries and learning about their conditions and needs is even more valuable. Angelina has done this consistently all throughout the years since she became a UNHCR ambassador. Every year, she goes to all these dangerous, unstable and poverty-stricken counties several times a year without fail. And what about the first Millennium Village in Asia which she initiated in Cambodia several years back? It' s still an on-going project and I'm sure it's keeping her busy when she's not making films and looking after her family but we certainly don't hear much about it except if you receive newsletters from UNHCR or the UN News Centre.

I've met some UNCHR volunteers recently and apparently she is well loved within the organisation. She's the real deal.

February 10, 2010 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  102. Lindsay

I am usually quite skeptical, but this is one woman who has my respect! If it was simply a "photo op", we'd all know her itinerary. She doesn't advertise her trips for good PR... she simply goes and does... and the world notices (or not). She is truly a remarkable woman... and someone we should all strive to be more like.

February 10, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  103. Paula

Photo op? Yes, it's been done before and yes, it will continue to happen in the future, but Jolie has signed up for A LOT more when she agreed to be an Ambassador. Not many celebrities can say they've devoted as much TIME or money to others in need. I've lived in LA for 5 years and work in the Entertainment industry- there's not many I would stick up for. Also, the photo above, it's from a movie premie on Hollywood Blvd at Grauman's Theater- (not a red carpet event in Haiti people!!)

February 10, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  104. Vivacious

Who is anyone to talk about what Angelina should do? She is doing what she always had because she got a heart of gold. The some celebs just jump in to get their name put down in entertainment history. Angelina doing what the late Audrey Hepburn done for years as well as the late Josephine Baker who adopted lots of children.

What are you doing for your community??

February 9, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  105. 소풍

졸리는 일을 많이 하네요..

February 9, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Rachel

She is like a Superwoman! look what Hollywood is interested in - all the glamour and cheap nonsense gossip and all, but she is very sensible and on a different level than most of them if not all. I admire her dedication in trying to make the world a better place. I don't know how she does it - travelling to some of the most dangerous and miserable places on earth where most of us would not even care to hear about let alone travel to... like Iraq, Pakistan, Ethiopia, Sudan, Cambodia etc...and now Haiti. More Power to you Angelina. and may God Bless you and your family!

February 9, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Jeanette

I think that everyone needs to back off of angie! Yes she's going over to Haiti, yes she donated money to their aide, but she can do that. She's not the type of celebrity that's going there for her own publicity. She is going because she simply wants to experience this first hand and help out in any way she can. I think that she wants to make sure that her donation is being used in a good way; since it's an extremely large amount and she hqas the right to that. I know that if i had the money i would go there and help out in any way i could. Stop bashing her for being a celebrity and start thinking of her as being a good human being that wants to help others!

February 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Henry

Folks, she WORKS for the United Nations (without pay) – specifically as it relates to displaced people and in particular displaced children. Please allow her to do what most of you don't have the guts to do. Besides, while some you are comfortable being negative behind your computers, someone in Haiti is benefiting from her WORK. Angelina, as usual- ignore the idiots. Some of us admire you, thank you for caring and know that we would be too scared to go into the areas that you do.

May God help the people of Haiti and may God continue to bless Angelina Jolie!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Trey

Ms Jolie is doing a job for the U.N. She routinely donates a third of her income to various charities. Ms.Jolie has been doing this kind of relief work for years when others in her place have been concentrating on their tans. She travels into places most of us wouldn't dare go, uses her fame to draw attention to areas in need of help and does so with intelligence,humility and what seems to be a true desire to help.
    She is a class act. Unless you have donated your time, money and effort in a comparable fashion, stop sniping and let the woman do her job as a representative of the UN.

February 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jo

Haiti needs all the help that it can get. She is in a position to help and has been doing so for years. She works for the UN.

February 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  111. adam hunter

Her actual generosity depends on how much after tax dollars she's donating minus the valuation of what all this charity work does for her public image.

February 9, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  112. J.M.

Actually, Angelina doesn't have to do anything, she chooses to which is more than I can say for most. Granted she has more than enough money to help there are also many others that have the money and choose to do nothing. Better she's in the"spotlight" doing something worth while rather than nothing at all. More power to her on the path she has chosen.

February 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  113. kaitlin

Why can't she do something like, oh i don't know, HELP HER OWN COUNTRY????

February 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Native New Yorker

Angelina has not made headlines in a few weeks and this worries her. So she gave 1 million that's like me giving 10 dollars – it won't put a dent in my wallet. She wants to make the newspapers and tabloids. She feeds on publicity. She is not that important in anyone's life. Mrs Pitt you are a cheater and home wreaker – you will never down play what you did in order to get your husband, Mr. Brad Pitt. Will you please buy him a shaver – that stuff on his face looks like sh**

February 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  115. jess

She is amazing..!!
    Love you Angelina and your attitude too

February 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Taker

Just another reason for her to be in the spotlight. Maybe a good thing she is doing, but Her and Brad do they ever help kids in the U.S. I doubt if they do..

February 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Free Dove

Well look at this way, at least she's not wasting her time in Hollywood. Those fortunate enough to have made their Money in HOLLOW WOOD either being a child or relative of someone famous already which that's pretty much 98% of the case or the few 2% that got the lucky lottery ticket without nipotism, at least she's not wasting her time, flitting around HOLLOW WOOD doing stupid stuff.

Her father Jon Voight is pretty cool, The difference with Her is just she's a money maker for the Media/Paparazzi. I'm probably sure if her Father, does great charity work you bet your bottom dollar, well, 65 Cents, that it will not be as publicized because He doesn't make the big bucks $$$ for the Media, Magazines and Paparazzi.

That's the Bottom line of All of This Anyway.

I'm no fan of Angela Jolie, well...I'm not much of a Fan of HOLLOW WOOD, I don't even waste my time and money going to movies because I don't care. However, at least she's doing something productive with her fame and fortune and not wasting it. Either a photo op or not, they are the ones with the money so why should anybody care if they get publicity if they are taking some of Big Bucks$$$ over there to help Haiti.

February 9, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  118. belvugrl

As I see it, she's doing something, not talking!

February 9, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Anna

The one's here are waiting for our help, not the ambasadors help.

February 9, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Anna

Tents? There are thousands of tents brought to Haiti, celebs are doing good, cudo's to them, who cares what they wear, they care and do help, if something negative is said, you are quick to talk, but the tiny wonderful things they do, that matter, are not decribed.

February 9, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  121. mw-maryland

To all the people bad-mouthing Ms. Jolie: She has already donated $1 million. What have you donated or done to help except to sit in front of your computers and criticize? It is also hard to be "quiet" about good deeds when you are a celebrity because if the press gets a hold of it, it will be reported.

February 9, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Just a Thought

What about the homeless, starving, orphans, etc...we have right here in America???? I totally agree that we need to help those that are less fortunate than ourselves. That being said; there are countless organizations, charaties and issues right here in America that could use help. Why does she and every other hollywood star need to go to Haiti? Or sing a song for Haiti? Are they really that charatible or is that just the "IN" thing to do, where all the PR is? Again, what about the issues right here in our own country?

February 9, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Flak

Havent the Haitians suffered enough?

February 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Marky

Angelina and Brad want to have a family and do a lot to help others. Good for them. Stop with the constant complaining unless you are doing as much as they are. Sheesh, Whatever! The negative comments for no reason are so irritating.

Jennifer Anniston wrecked her own home because she wasn't interested in having children with Brad Pitt. How about a life-sized wedding picture, and she didn't even invite her own mother to the wedding? Tlk about narcissistic! Can't you people who keep dissing Angelina leave it alone?She didn't break up anyone and they've all moved on; so should you.

February 9, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  125. ButterMilk

I really like her. I think she does great deeds. Not for show but because she really wants to help people out. She cant help that she has a pretty face. I think most people hate because they think she is a home wrecker but what do we know about what really went on. keep up the good work. I wish I had the time to go to Haiti to help out...

February 9, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  126. giles clarke

good for her...keep up the good work

February 9, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  127. KR

All I have to say is the people that are being negative should not be talking at all. I don't see the people that are bad mouthing going over to Haiti and helping out at all. For the people are who are not bad mouthing and are helping by being positive, I know we can't afford to help out Haiti, but good for you guys for uplifting Jolie and other people out there that can make a difference.

February 9, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Momo

Haven't you heard? Adopting Haitian kids has recently become the newest rage...

February 9, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Sherry

It only counts when you are quiet about your good deeds! Although I think it nice that she show her face and donated "1 million" dollars, She still doesn't impress me. Nothing but a home wrecker.

February 9, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Mark Mickelsen

Don't get me wrong; I think she does truly care.

February 9, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Sara

I admire Jolie and her dedication to serve. She takes her position as UN's Goodwill Ambassador seriously, and is not afraid to literally get into the trenches, meet those who have been affected by tragedy, and help however she can. Because of her career success, she can use her resources to provide both direct aid and to increase awareness. Some people might not otherwise care at all about the causes she supports, but because she is famous, she can make some people sit up and take notice of worthwhile causes. She has been the butt of jokes, and her relationships have been fodder for tabloids for years, but I believe she genuinely cares. Being a celebrity does not negate the good work she has done, and how cynical of those who believe otherwise.

February 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Mark Mickelsen

I was there.

February 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  133. justme

For all of you that are concerned about if she is going over there for a photo op..Have you gone further than your computer or your television? I agree we DONT need celebs to go over there to "look cute" but we dont need folks sitting here bad mouthing folks that are trying to do what they can to help the hatian survivors! Angelina Jolie may not have even made it public she was going over there..it may be something the media found out while being nosey as usual. COme on people who cares why she is going....the point is she IS going & 1 million of her dollars went before she did. God Bless you Angelina!! & everyone else who is helping the best way they know how. & God Bless Haiti!!

February 9, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Sheila Coker

Good Afternoon
    It appears that some of you who posted comments are unware of the facts. My parents are from Sierra Leone West Africa and we very visiting Sierra Leone when Ms. Jolie was touring the country. She was not dressed as if she was going to an award show-in fact my mother and I were very surprised as to how down to earth is looked. I witnessed her play and embrace many children that had lost limbs in the fight for our blue diamonds that are smuggled to Europe and America. Secondly, this is not the first time she has gone to Haiti. She was in Haiti several years ago. My mother and I started an organization called Sisters of Sierra Leone to help people not only in Sierra Leone but also in other third world countries.My mother left last Thursday for Sierra Leone with over 20 containers of food, clothing etc.
    My question to you all is- What have you done to better the world and mankind?

February 9, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  135. jjj

why is there so much negativity .. what happens at most even if they want a lil bit of fame ..

at least she is helping .. at least some of us are listening or hearing .. at least we are caring a bit .. if some beauty goes ... we follow . dat's how it revolves .. world is selfish .. and it's you people who are pointing out . what and which are the consequence of their good deeds .. which they will later find out in blogs . and if you are going some place less adequate you will dress up not too fancy but you will . (they dont know the dresscode ) .. it doesn't matter ... it's better to do something than nothing .

February 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Danielle

Read her statement – it's a learning experience for her, she was never taught, blah, blah, blah; sure, her abject narcissism does some good, but I doubt like hell she'd bother if it weren't for the cameras.

February 9, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  137. NOLA

I truly believe that Angelina Jolie wants to be a good, inspiring person. Even more than that, though, is her desire to be perceived as a good person (or even a saint) by the general population. Every time a there is negative attention in regards to her social life she flits away to a disaster torn in the guise of a good will, Westernized adventurer and takes pictures mingling with the impoverished. I commend her very innovative publicist for using her image to inspire people. Her? Well, she's a nutcase with a nice face who loves to use the media to distract from her social dilemmas. I pity those who have to deal with her personally.

February 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Jamie

i think its awesome and i wouldnt put anyone down for using their influence, resources and fame to bring more attention to the crisis there. These celebrities have become pop culture Icons, role models really, and i would rather see angelina jolie going to help haiti then starring in yet another sexy action film, at least she is doing something good for others and it should inspire us to do the same not to be critical of her actions. and by the way, she didnt tell anyone what she was doing, a story was reported about her. Even if she did, so what....she is going to help.

February 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Mark Mickelsen

She better bring God with her, or else it is just about her.

February 9, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  140. ginsharisan

Whether you like her or not; whether you like star power or not; the fact is, what they do IS important because it brings charity into focus. It gives attention to groups of people that we might otherwise choose to ignore. There is value in getting the message out there. You may see it as bragging, but in reality, her presence has helped to encourage a lot of people who maybe were thinking of doing charitable works but didn't quite know how or weren't feeling too motivated and perhaps she inspired some of them. That's what people like her do. They are the motivators to set the masses in motion. That's not a bad thing. Lighten up.

February 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Destiny

Why do some famous people always tell others how much they donate and how much they do for others????
    There are famous ones who never tell what they do for others.
    They are the most sincere of all!!!

February 9, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Raven

With the current state of the media it's pretty narrowminded of you all to think that this is a photo op for Angelina. She doesn't need to do thia for that reason. Why is it so difficult for people to see that she is genuinely a caring person? She and Brad and others who have given time and money to Haiti are amazing. My one regret is that I am not in a position to do more myself.

February 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  143. CLT-561

I agree with Debra! All these celebs are celebs are visiting Haiti, why? What is their presence doing for all these displaced humans who have nothing. If she wants to do something positive, bring some of those 'pink' tents that went up after Katrina and give these folks a temporary place to live and a cot to sleep on! They get first class treatment and the real issues going on with Haiti stay on the back pages! She needs to join Wyclef and get her hands dirty!

February 9, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  144. cat

She always dresses to work when ever she goes to aid those in need. She's not the type to not want to get down and dirty. I'm sure this pic they posted is from an award show or something. If you even bother to notice when she has gone either to Africa or Kenya, shes always looks as if shes ready to get into the dirtiest things. I admire her involvment and in her donations to help those that are in need.

February 9, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  145. BAJA

Angie is so generous. Good for her.

February 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Debra R

If she wants to express "good will" and not a photo op, she should just go over there dressed to work, not shake hands.... if all she wants to do is a photo op, then she can do better to send more $$$$

February 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |