February 5th, 2010

Who made the most in Hollywood last year? Not James Cameron.

The director of the raz-tastic action film "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," Michael Bay, earned more money than both Steven Spielberg and James Cameron in 2009.

Bay netted $125 million in the past year, which put him in the number one spot on Vanity Fair's list of the top 40 Hollywood earners of 2009.

Executive producer of "Transformers" as well as "The Lovely Bones" Steven Spielberg landed in second place with $85 million, followed by "2012's" Roland Emmerich ($70 million,) "Avatar's" James Cameron ($50 million) and "The Hangover's" Todd Phillips ($44 million).

To do the math, Vanity Fair used sources that had access to real numbers, like agents, studio executives, lawyers and on occasion, the stars themselves. Vanity Fair's list is limited to "creative figures—producers, directors, stars—in film," according to a press release.

The top ten Hollywood earners were men, but there are a few young women on the list, including Emma Watson of the "Harry Potter" franchise.

Watson, who earned $30 million in 2009, made more money than industry veterans Sarah Jessica Parker ($24 million) and Cameron Diaz ($27 million), as well as "Twilight" star Kristen Stewart ($16 million).

Below are the top 40 earners for 2009. For analysis and a breakdown of the numbers, visit VanityFair.com. The March issue will be on newsstands Tuesday, February 9.

1. Michael Bay, producer-director ($125 million)
2. Steven Spielberg, producer-director ($85 million)
3. Roland Emmerich, producer-director ($70 million)
4. James Cameron, producer-director ($50 million)
5. Todd Phillips, director ($44 million)
6. Daniel Radcliffe, actor ($41 million)
7. Ben Stiller, actor ($40 million)
8. Tom Hanks, actor ($36 million)
9. J. J. Abrams, producer-director ($36 million)
10. Jerry Bruckheimer, producer ($35.5 million)
11. Tyler Perry, actor-director-producer ($32.5 million)
12. Adam Sandler, actor-producer ($31.5 million)
13. Denzel Washington, actor ($31 million)
14. Emma Watson, actor ($30 million)
15. Rupert Grint, actor ($30 million)
16. Owen Wilson, actor ($29 million)
17. Nicolas Cage, actor ($28 million)
18. Russell Crowe, actor ($28 million)
19. Cameron Diaz, actor ($27 million)
20. Brian Grazer, producer, and Ron Howard, director-producer ($25.5 million)
21. Johnny Depp, actor ($25 million)
22. Steve Carell, actor ($25 million)
23. Robert De Niro, actor ($24.5 million)
24. Sarah Jessica Parker, actor ($24 million)
25. Katherine Heigl, actor ($24 million)
26. Shawn Levy, director-producer ($23 million)
27. Oren Peli and Jason Blum, writer-director-producers ($22.5 million)
28. Robert Downey Jr., actor ($22 million)
29. George Clooney, actor ($22 million)
30. Matt Damon, actor ($22 million)
31. Reese Witherspoon, actor ($21 million)
32. Angelina Jolie, actor ($21 million)
33. Jennifer Aniston, actor ($20 million)
34. Sandra Bullock, actor ($20 million)
35. Robert Pattinson, actor ($18 million)
36. Clint Eastwood, actor-director-producer ($17 million)
37. Kristen Stewart, actor ($16 million)
38. Mark Wahlberg, actor ($16 million)
39. Shia LaBeouf, actor ($15 million)
40. Brad Pitt, actor ($13.5 million)

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. hotel..depends who is it.

=

May 25, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. hoteles relax en cordoba

Hey very nice site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also?I'm glad to seek out so many helpful information here within the publish, we need work out extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

May 25, 2013 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. megan

Can someone do an estimate of the actually movie to earn the most money? include inflation! avatar just beat Titanic but how much was a ticket in 1997 compared to now..inflation! no to mention movies from the 70's.

February 9, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. James

James Cameron will make the most money at the end of 2010 because of box office receipts. Again a Canadian has made the biggest movie of all time. And the world loves us more than USA. Go Team Canada.

February 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sith_lord

....and I totally agree with dara's posting (4:54 ET). Any celebrity that makes $80 million/year made it because you bought the ticket. That's especially true of major sports, where a family of 4 can easily fork over $400+ just to attend a game, park and (God forbid) buy some popcorn. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best part about capitalism. More power to any celebrity that can bring in a million plus....more power to any group that wants to boycott ridiculous ticket prices.

February 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sith_lord

To Walter who posted at 12:34 ET. The job czar did not say he wanted to cap everyone's salary at $500,000/year. He said he wanted to cap the salary of ceo's and executives that work for corporations receiving federal TARP money WHILE they still owe federal TARP money. I have a low tolerance for the spread of disinformation.

February 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dara

God bless Hollywood. What's wrong with making 80 million in a year? Don't spend $12 on a movie ticket, then get mad at the producer. They got a product that you want, and they are going to charge you for it. I swear this country is going to go communist with so many broke people whining.

February 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Wanda

All I can say is I wish my mind lived in the fantasy world. I'd be in Hollywood right now trying to make it as an actress. But part of that is luck just like getting a better paying job in the regular world can be luck. Anyway, I'm too lazy now and I bet alot of us are too lazy. But if I was making half of what Brad Pitt was making, I'd take it and be happy!

February 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mike

Whats sad is there are probably 2000 people just UNDER 13.5 Mil a year. Hollywood makes me sick. They vote Democratic because they can afford to. These idiots have never had to make a budget, manage a payroll, etc. They simply show up, "work hard", and they watch the dollars roll in as they shout orders to the minions. Yet these people are SO soft on security, and "torture". I can't wait til LA gets nuked. I ain't helpin.

February 8, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Junar12

Why are these people spending lots of money to make a single movie??

February 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Terry

A single movie gets to collect an outragious amount of money while a charity doesn't even get a quarter of that. One gets to wonder how much they could help with a donation of $15.. well Avatar did it.

February 8, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dennis D

I think we should go back to making musicals, Remake The Great Caruso, Show Boat, enough of science fiction, and war movies, are kids are more pron to violence now than ever, thanks to these bad movies. theres no more creativety in hollywood, instead they read books and make movies from them, this is bad. sorry hollywood you suck.

February 8, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Quit Complaining

If you don't like that these people are making this much money, don't go to the theater, buy dvd's, or watch tv shows. YOU are paying their salaries.

February 8, 2010 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mike

Now, combine all that money, give each american taxpayer (including immigrants, not illegal) $10,000 and u got yourself a better economy, better spending market, happier americans, better country and there still a little left over to donate for haiti. and i didnt need to run for president, get elected, spend millions that were saved for other stuff.
    just took it from ppl that didnt need it, wont use it, and probably dont deserve it.

Thank you America.

February 8, 2010 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. mark

this is rubbish.... No will smith some wrong figures... Get your facts right...........

February 8, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Pelikan

They are making money because we value them. The moment that they are not valued anymore that's the time they don't earn.

February 8, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  17. chriset

all of your comments are obsolete! if they make it big because of there talents then you should congratulate! stop hating and congratulating! it'll make the world a happy place

February 8, 2010 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  18. YO

All men...sad

February 8, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  19. Sammy

I did read this and have no idea why, maybe just to see how stupid is the world getting. Yes, it is good entertainment. I am going to bed thinking if I have $ 250 and content, and some one else that I will never meet made $ 40 millions. I do agree w/ Ginny, they earned it and deserve it, this is America and we all have the chance to make it big. No need to know how much they made though! learn how to be content without numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 8, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  20. Ivo

The people on this list making this money worked hard for it, the directors and producers made it because they came up with the concepts that the public bought. The actors made it because they were sought after for their talent and were in high demand and could work for those rates. Limiting people to how much they can make in my opinion is a horrible concept, what would be the initiative for making productions like this? If they can earn it let them. If government limits how much people can make than that goes against everything that capitalism stands for and we'd be oppressed, also if everyone was poor than who would be able to donate to all of the charities that everyone on this board is complaining about? I don't know about you, but I struggle to pay my bills, and am kinda fed up with all the charities being set up everywhere, nickeling and diming you and everyone expecting you to donate to them constantly until you're in need of a charity...

February 8, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  21. Laura

Why is everyone so mad that these people make a lot of money. They have skills that a lot of people DON'T HAVE. People (YOU AND ME) are paying them. If you hate it so much, don't watch movies again. You are entertained by their talents. These people give up months of their lives to make movies so that WE can be entertained. Do I think they make too much? Yes and no. There are some I think are way overpaid because they lack the talent to back it up. It's the same with sports stars, if you have the talent, you are going to be paid a lot of money because the amount of people who have that skill are slim. Also take into account that these people usually have to pay an agent, publicist, etc.

James Cameron made one of my favorite movies (Titanic). I was moved by this movie. Why should he not benefit from that movie in a huge way?

I'm very thankful for all of the movies that have been made that I have loved. Movies are art, art is worth it.

February 8, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  22. Mary

Well we know some of what Emma Watson is doing with her money – getting an education. That's expensive for anybody.

February 7, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  23. snt

For those of you who seem to think that this is obscene look at the facts.
    One- Half of their money will go to taxes to pay for programs that are not going to help those paying.
    Two- The only reason that people get paid this much is because people watch them! If you do not want people to get paid that much, don't go and see movies, concerts, and sporting events! But if you have seen, or watched one of these, THEN DON'T COMPLAIN!!!!!

February 7, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Eric Nicolas

I doubt these numbers are personal income. All of these people are the heads of companies that employ many people, and pay those people. Is this income after costs/taxes? Once you whittle it down, that $1.2 billion is probably ending-up in a lot of other people's pockets. Even actors have to maintain a staff of agents, publicists, assistants, even writers and personal makeup and wardrobe staff (actors often have their own makeup people to maintain a consistent look from film to film – I know that sounds weird but often those who don't end up looking very strange in some films).

The numbers are impressive when attributed to a single person – but the question must be asked if all that money is going into one pocket?

February 7, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  25. David

Why dont you create a product that people want and make money like these people. SImple concept but you would rather complain that they are successful. Anyone has the oppurtunity to succeed. I know you dont think its fair and your broke. TOo bad. If I wanted to be this rich I would simply do what they did and creayte a product consumers consume. Simple. They should pay higher taxes either. If we all paid the same % then they pay more than you simple math.

February 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Merry Way

Please compare the percentage of income Hollywood people devote to charities and helping others with the percentage of income Wall Street Bankers with their obscene bonuses have devoted to similar selfless causes. The Hollywood crowd will come out way ahead.

February 7, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MJPD345

Collectively, That's enough money to rebuild Haiti 3X over. I wonder if they would all be willing to sacrifice even a months pay to help ... And would that act of generousity really put a crimp in their lifestyles ? Those numbers are really staggering..

February 7, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Michael

I gotta wonder.. why is a free-market economy so inherently good for us? Just curious, we always are so quick to defend it.

February 7, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  29. daveo

bibo san diego writes:

Totally agree with you, I don't have cable(TV is a cultural wasteland), don't have a computer (not needed on an hourly basis) just use the libraries, parents and friends.

Also, I have a cheap cell and pay for the minutes(screw the 2 year contracts). Do have a TV/DVD and pay a buck a movie at the red box kiosks(coolest invention since sliced bread!).

Not going to the movies to sit thru 30 minutes of commercials before the film start.

February 7, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  30. gina

gosh... and I have NOTHING to pay my bills. working my ass off to meet the ends to eat and pay rent. The world is so unfair!

February 7, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. steady321

This is obscene. Most of the dolts on this list do nothing more than play "pretend". Disgraceful to pay these people that kind of money.

February 7, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. LW

Emily, explain how you know that the folks on this list didn't donate to Haiti? Do you have access to all of their financial records? Amazing!

February 7, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Pat

and they didn't ask anyone to donate to Haiti. They took time out of their lives to come and thank people who were also generous. They didn't get paid to be there and I am sure that the large majority of the celebrities there donated a much larger percentage of their earnings than any of you

February 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  34. The King

And we think Wall St. is screwing us.

February 7, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Aware

To the ones complaining about the entertainment high pay individuals, lets not be hypocrites and mention the sports athletes making way more than the list above. That's Capitalism at it's core! Few make to the top and the rest dream about making it to the top while living mediocre lives.

February 7, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Danny

The funny part is that most of the people on this list put out absolute CRAP last year.

February 7, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Cindy Pelland

IS there anyway all these people and donate some of their money to our school systems and have teachers teach each kid to love them selves and eduacation. B/c with self love and education each person would live to their potential and the Country would be in a much better place. And its that simple. We have the John Bradshaw materials and the Tony Robbins now all we need to do is teach it to people. I honestly wish we could really do this. It would create more teaching jobs and these people dont need all this money.

February 7, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Pat

It's embarrassing that an article about how much actors and directors make turns completely into politics. They make money from people who are willing to go and pay to see their movies. They can't be required to give anything back. We happen to be a capitalist democracy. They can donate if they want, which many do. And to everyone bringing up Obama and his czars, stop spreading Glenn Beck's gospel. Providing health care to people who work hard and still can't afford it is not and never will be socialism. Get over yourselves

February 7, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  39. drew

Why should these 40 pay for the deficit that was caused on account of terrible spending habits of the state. Why don't you look at the root of the problem before you say who should foot the bill. Maybe CALIFORNIA should rethink what programs they offer that they can't afford even with some of the highest taxes in the nation. Michael Bay paid around $43,000,000 in taxes on that income so its all relative. At the 35% tax bracket all of these people pay more than their fair share of the states over spending. I agree with Justin, if you don't like the fact that Michael Bay is successful then don't take your family to see his movies.

February 7, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Simon

40 of the top earners in Hollywood.... add that all up and thats $1,288,500,000!!

There's the California budget deficit right there!

February 7, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Justin

I feel sad for some of you. These people make a lot of money because people like you and me pay to see their work. Yes, they may make millions of dollars but they do help to create jobs and donate money to charity (that most of us can't spare). We should stop hating people because we have less than them; this is America if you want to be successful go be successful if you want to whine and complain you can do that too (benefit of living in a partially free society). I am 23 years old and made just under 7,000 dollars last year I don't have to pay federal taxes I also have a roof over my head which I provide for myself and a full stomach most of the time that is more than some people have and I am happy for every day I am alive. In closing, if your jealous about these people making so much money then don't buy what they sell.

February 7, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  42. JuicyBrain

I find it really interesting that few people are viewing the entertainment industry for the gamble that it is. The people who made the most money were also putting the most money at risk. When a wall street executive makes millions every year, whether or not the company makes money, there should be a little outrage. The list itself does not include the thousands of people who put money into the entertainment industry with little or no profit whatsoever. There is no golden parachute when it comes to a movie. A bomb is a bomb. It doesn't matter if you don't go to movies anymore, you're paying for the product however you receive it. Television, rentals, dvd, blu-ray, even the subsidiary industries like entertainment television are a source of income in hollywood. Trust that they are all being paid well and being taxed at least as well.

February 7, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  43. bibo san diego

cancelled my cable 3 years ago and stopped going to the movies 9 years ago, NETFLIX is the way to go!

these people make these amazing sums of money because our starstruck society is eating everything up they are fed from the system. just like with our sport stars, race car drivers, idols (yuck) and everybody in public life.....forget them!

February 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Anthony

And why do average working class, minimum wage earning people support Hollywood? Hmmmm. My advice is to shut the TV , skip the movie, and pick up a book (that's b-o-o-k, not nook).

February 7, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Conrad

Fantastic ! There is opportunity everywhere if you provide value to the world.

Stop complaining and be happy that these people earn so much – because they also give lot of it away. Money moves. Gripers and critics will have even less next year, so get off your butts and do something of value.

February 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  46. mike

how much have the donated to worthing causes
    instead of asking people who barely make ends meet.
    Haiti could use their money to instead of them asking
    me for money

February 7, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Fact

If you make $100,000 you pay approximately $35K in taxes.
    If you make $1,000,000 you pay approximately $390k in taxes.
    If you make $10,000,000 you pay approximately $3-4 million in taxes.

So these earners are paying far more for your roads, schools and government services than you.

February 7, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  48. skunty

I am so happy for all the artisistic talent coming out of California and making fortunes that only King Louis the 16th would be proud of. I would like to see Govenor Arnold Shwarznegger come on the telly just once more pleading for federal and state money in response to how broke California is. I believe his net annual worth before election was some where in the 500million range.

February 7, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Brian Cronin

Why don't you do the bottom 40 earners in the U.S. That would be the other 99% of the population.

February 7, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  50. JP

Never forget that the entertainment hungry public PUTS this money in the pockets of the industry. If you hate these big salaries so much, stop patronizing their movies.

Same thing goes for sports and TV shows. All their cash comes from the public spending on these distractions.

And for those complaining about this list being made public, does it do you any good to remain in the dark? At least now you have some information to help you make your own choices on how you spend your money.

February 7, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jane

I am a social worker. I help lift the spirits of the most challenged members of our society. My work is physically, mentally and emotionally draining. And I am incredibly underpaid. I also love the people I work with and love what I do. I have a hard time in our society understanding why people who do the most important work in our world are the least respected, most underpaid, and often times work the hardest. I have often wondered why we don't have Academy Awards for social workers, teachers, nurses, firefighters? But the actors get paid millions to portray our everyday roles in movies every year. I certainly do not think anyone should be penalized for making as much money as they want–but changing the way the system works involves action. If you want these inequalities to get better then do something about it–don't go to the movies, don't buy the magazines, don't watch the super bowl, write your senators, congressmen NOW! Start doing something about it-demand a more humane society.

February 7, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Getalifeandgetoffthecouch

You still cant buy happiness....and it's pretty obvious that some of these people struggle with that everyday.

February 7, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  53. kb

angie. how does that question even pertain to this article? president obama donated all of the nobel prize money to charity. you clearly know how to use a computer, perhaps you have heard of 'google'. actually, you don't even have to check there because it was cnn who reported he was donating it all.

people in hollywood do make too much money, but if it upsets you then you should learn to entertain yourselves.

February 7, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Pam, Missouri

Notice they didn't get the information from Accountants who would tell you the real figure...Several people on this list made more than their figures are telling. and probably a few who made less. Figures. Vanity Fair doesn't want the real info. That would be too scarey

February 7, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Joseph Rizzo

I wish you would do a comparison between what Hollywood people made last year and what the leading players of the 40s ad 50s made, and also who were the ones who died penniless. That would be an interesting story.

February 7, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  56. Eddie

The reason they make so much money is cause all you people that are on here crying about how much money they make go out to the movies and pay the $$. If you don't like that they make that much money then sit at home and do nothing. Problem is all you people are gonna go out to the movies and watch the movies these people make and then a couple of months later you guys are gonna go to Walmart or best Buy and get the DVD's. And blue ray too. I'm starting my Blue Ray collection. They Rock. So if you have a problem with the amount of money they are making then sit at home and be boring and DON"T DO ANYTHING!!! By the way, did the entertainment industry get any money from the bailout? All I know is, if the movie looks good and gets great press then I'll pay the money to see em. I only go to the early shows so I pay $5 to go to the movies. Holla.

February 7, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  57. Mance Lotter

JEFF – your comment was spot on. I'd like to add: Dems play class warfare when they aren't blaming Bush for all the world's ills, but no one gets upset at the hollywood "fat cats" (i hate that stupid, liberal, class-warfare-propoganda term).

And it was the Obama administration that said it would like the pay czar's power to extend beyond those institutions that received bailout money. If that ever happens, they better include hollywood, sports stars, lottery winners, etc.

I really hate that democrats have been successful at demonizing rich people. I'm far far far from being rich, but the more our society begins to hate them, the more difficult it will be to make that kind of money – and that's what I'm working towards. tell the gov't and the crazy liberals to get out of my way and don't worry about how much money i make, it's not your business!

February 7, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  58. Justathought

I am jealous.

How do I get work like that? Movies are usually made (at least the filming) in 4 to 6 months. Is it fair that an actor who gets an assistant, a fully stocked trailer, catering, and pretty much anything else they want during filming should earn say 20 million for that amount of work?

Then when it's time to attend award ceremonies like the golden globes or oscars they receive "gift bags" to entice them to attend. These gift bags in some instances are worth over $100,000. They receive this for showing up in a tuxedo/gown, smiling, and enjoying a party. The party gives out free food and booze. A party that gives them awards for thier work on whatever film they "worked" on. It also gives them more exposure to drive up thier "working" price.

I find it interesting that once a certain status is reached celebs begin receiving things for free. The more money they make, the more money people want to give them.

The only drawback that I can see is having your life exposed to the masses. They often end up on magizines or followed by tons of people with cameras. Thier private lives are exposed for the masses to read about. But this in itself drives up the amount they get paid for thier "work".

But when you consider the amount of money that is given them, they can insulate thier lives from the public. Johnny Depp is an example, he purchased himself a private island. I'd like to purchase a private island, I just don't have the money.

So where do I sign up for this job? Perhaps I'm not attractive enough. Or perhaps I don't have charisma. Perhaps no one wants to watch me. This cannot be the case since there are many actors that are not all that attractive, have no charisma and can't act worth a damn. So I ask again where can I sign up for that job?

It comes down to this: Life isn't fair. Being stuck in a system which is inherently unfair and created with rules that allow some obscene amounts of prosperity whilst allowing others obscene amounts of poverty doesn't really persuade an individual to follow the rules.

Therefore, I say don't. Don't follow the rules. Cheat, steal, manipulate, blackmail and do anything else you can to get ahead in this world.

Steven Speilberg made something like $85 million last year and he's on the phone asking me to give up my milk money? Insulting.

February 7, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  59. Vicki

To the people saying their SSI is shameful – ONCE AGAIN, SSI was NOT intended to be a retirement plan. If you are having to depend on SSI to get by, YOU made very very very poor choices during your lifetime. Maybe, but not in all cases the following choices were possibly made by you – you decided to drop out of high school, or decided not to go to college (and YES, everyone in America CAN attend! where there is a will there is a way, or you decided to not to put back money from each pay check, you decided to smoke ($$$) etc... You are kidding yourself if you think 99% of the younger generation of kids won't need a college degree. Those kids will be a such a disadvantage when they try to find a GOOD job. Even McDonald's managers are required to have degrees.

February 7, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  60. Reality Check

O.K. Here's the scoop..... Why do you make $10.00 an hour and some people (celebrities, athletes, etc) make millions? It's because the venue, that you work an hour or more to pay for a ticket to watch, requires a very talented, highly skilled group of people to produce. Most people in the world can flip burgers, scan groceries, or even earn a University Degree, but how many people can really put together a top notch world wide attraction? A venue that will attract millions of viewers? Not many.
    First of all, you need raw talent. Not every Jo Blow can get in front of a camera and give a great or even believable performance. When it comes to production, most people couldn't hold a camera straight, yet produce a major motion picture or event. Secondly, you need to work hard and study your craft and commit yourself to being the best in the world at what you do. Sure some people go to University for four, six , even ten years. But each and every one of those people have the resources and common sense to know that most university degrees will not earn you millions of dollars a year. Third, you need to bring something to the table, Something that will attract an immensely large audience. Do any of you people think that someone would pay $10 – $15 dollars to watch a two hour movie starring YOU? Or even developed by YOU? If YOU think they would, perhaps YOU should stop whining and move to L.A / New York, where-ever and try to break in to the business. After a decade or so of struggling to land even a decent job as a crew member , you may actually catch your BIG BREAK!! If not you can always go back to flipping burgers or doing whatever your University Degree allows you to do. Come on people, most all celebrities started out working average Joe jobs, while they pursued a career that they knew could lead to fame and fortune. They chose a path that lead to fortune and YOU didn't. So it's THEIR money and not YOURS. They don't decide how you spend your money, so don't try to decide for them.... Reality Check!!

February 7, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  61. Cindy

Vote with your feet. Keep them out of movie theatres.

This is disgraceful. So is the worship and perpetuation of the Hollywood machine.

These people don't perform jobs more important than anyone else and shouldn't be compensated in such exaggerated terms.

February 7, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  62. stinky

Ok, I understand the situation, people are upset that they make this much. You must understand these people along with athletes that make tremedous salaries, are on a similar scale as the rest of us. If you have a talent that is very marketable in a Billion dollar indusrty wouldn't you command top dollar as well? Or should it all go to the suits & team owners. In other words if you are among the best in the world at your possition in a huge money indusrty, you are basically an executive in the company and should be paid what you are worth. I have never seen one person pay for a ticket to go see the owner. Do they make too much for what they do, probably. I just hope they do give back to the less fortunate..this is doing something good with your skill.

February 7, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  63. Layla

Excuse me, but you now live in a country where Mr. Obama has set limits on how much you can make. Not paying attention?

Wondering why this has not trickled up to these morons? Campaign contributions, that's why,

February 7, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  64. Layla

What planet are you people on? The people in my town are facing 17% unemployment and losing homes right and left and you people think this is appropriate news?

No wonder the world has such disdain for you.

February 7, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  65. hackperl

Hollywood and the music industry are obsessed with stopping piracy. Shouldn't be too hard to find them .... a fair number of them are on this list. I wonder what the average pay is for the grips, cameramen, technicians,etc. A tiny fraction I'll wager. I've never illegally downloaded a movie but given the payday of these folks maybe it's time to start. They'll never miss a couple of bucks ... but a couple of bucks still means a lot to me and most other folks out there.

February 7, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  66. Jeff

I love these comments. Its easy to see why the country is heading the way it is. Lots of people crying it is not fair that they do not make millions. That they have a degree and can't find a job. You need to grow up, and open your eyes. The world is not fair. But at least you live in a country where anything is possible. A country where a high school grad can earn 16 million in a year. All you have to do is come up with a product or idea that people are willing to pay for. The other side of the coin is you could live in a country like Haiti or the former Soviet Union. Stop sitting around waiting with your hand out. Stop judging your worth based on the worth of others. We all come into this world the same, and in the end, we all leave the same way. The only thing you can control is what happens in between. So are you going to sit and cry that no one throws you the ball, or are you going to get out there and show the world you deserve to have the ball?

February 7, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  67. Offgrid

Good idea.

February 7, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  68. Economics behind hollywood

They make that money because that's what the "market" is willing to pay them. They don't have full control on price. Idiots who are complaining about these figures need to read "hollywood economics" and stop crying.

February 7, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  69. Matt Moran

Are they worth it? Who knows. Basic rules of supply and demand in action here, these people supply and the demand is monumentally huge! Thats show business ,always has been , always will be.

February 7, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  70. Dog

These are a big part of the Liberal Group that complains about Wall Street Salaries.... Tax them all!!!!

February 7, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  71. Anne

Watch out America! The Tea Partiers just announced they will dismantle the film and TV industries and put them under the control of Tom Tancredo and Chuck Norris. Thank God the Tea Partiers are being revealed for the kooks they are!

February 7, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  72. Rick Darrough

Damn 125 million ...And thats NET..Unbelievable...They really need to raise the taxes on the rich big time. Thats just crazy.

February 7, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  73. RAY

if you think james camaron made avatar, which crossed the 2 BILLION mark and got paid 50 million, you have bad info

February 7, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  74. john m

Wow! look at all those earnings, and not a one of them has a job that is meaningful or productive . Paid billions to play make believe and act like they truly are necessary or productive members of society. Just like our empty suited president. The time of TRUE CHANGE is coming

February 7, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  75. Charlie

You can either pay the money to the actors or let the studio executives keep it. Either way, it seems, that much money is being made and if it's there, someone's going to get it. Whoever. If it irritates you, which it does me, then don't go to the movies.

All of us b***h, moan and complain but we do nothing (me included). But we have a responsibility in what we're complaining about. Do something if you don't like it. Vote all the incumbents out and don't go to the movies. Plus, the price of the popcorn!

February 7, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  76. Artur Oporto

Movies are exactly like soccer players. Movies tickets sell and make BIG money. Soccer games tickets sell and european clubs make BIG money so actors and soccer players deserve to be paid BIG. Its easy and simple. Actors and soccer players are the main characters... without them clubs and studios wouldnt be making any money.

February 7, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  77. Carlos R.

While I agree that teachers, doctors, etc. provide a more important function than actors, it is important to remember that there are much fewer rich actors than the total amount of teachers, doctors, etc. Most actors are struggling to make a living.

I wonder how liberal Hollywood would be if the suggestions posed by some would take effect?! It reminds me of a joke about a liberal daughter coming home from college and her conservative dad asking her how things are going. She mentions that she got straight A's. When asked about her friend, she said that she got mostly C's. Her father suggests that she should take downgrade one of her A's to a B so that her friend can upgrade one of her C's to a B. The daughter is furious at such a suggestion, saying how hard she had to work to earn her A's, and how her friend hardly spent any time studying. Whereupon her father replies: "Welcome to the conservative movement".

One more thing, some people here are talking about how they are struggling to make ends meet. How come the are in a chat room, instead of looking for a job, and how can they afford such a luxury as the internet?

February 7, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  78. Victor

I humbly offer my directing services to Hollywood for $249,999 !!

A bargain.

February 7, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  79. fallenangeli812

WHY shoutd these people NOT make that kind of money? It's a world of supply and demand- we want good movies, we pay to see good movies- we choose WHICH movies we see; each one of them make their choice to either be in or direct those movies-whether it is going to be a failure or shoot out of the sky is based on how many of us go see it, buy it, and merchandise it. Don't be bitter when they get paid good for their jobs-they're not like "regular people" for Pete's sake–they are superstars.

February 7, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  80. jj

A V A T A R is at $2.2 Billion now so Cameron will easily walk away with $150 million.

February 7, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  81. Minnee-ha-ha

TO: Jeremiah In WNY

Animal Farm was written between 1943-1945 by GEORGE ORWELL.
    Orson Wells was an actor!

February 7, 2010 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  82. ebelitski

And the money machine keeps on rolling.

February 7, 2010 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  83. Jenna

I love how Angelina Jolie is ranked one spot higher than Jennifer Aniston! Poor Jen...

February 7, 2010 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  84. Selfish people....

i cant belive nature will allow this to happen somehow...testing bombs in puerto rico and at the same time discussing whos earned the most money i Hollywood...dozy stupid selfish idiotic and bloody naive...people are just gonna suffer greatly in the future.. yeh yeh lets live for today i dont care about people in haiti and i dont care about the US army having bombs containing heavy and dangerous metals.. which dumbass can make a bomb with arsenic in it and not realise there could be some side effect from it-........ if the bomb itself doesnt kill your 2 month old daughter whos sleeping in her cot instantly it probably will slowly.. what is the lesser of the two evils here ?

February 7, 2010 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  85. NotJealous

It's amazing that there are people on here justifying these salaries of actors, but probably pay nothing for the music they enjoy. I'm happy that actors still make money for the movies they make, considering the music industry has become a former shell of itself in the past ten years. Keep complaining about the money an actor makes. The day is coming when we'll be able to steal movies for free just like music, and this industry will go downhill too. In 20 years, maybe we'll be standing in line for foodstamps with Brad and Angelina and their brood because they can't put food on their table. Will that make any of you happy?

Entertainment is the human art-form of pretending, imagining and for a few moments, forgetting about real life. Are actors Brain Surgeons? No. If we're all lucky we'll never have a need for a brain surgeon....but I'm pretty sure we will all have a need for entertainment in our lives.

Quit complaining about how much money they make. Reality is, these entertainers all live like us, with a comparable debt to income ratio. Just because their income is sky high, doesn't mean their expenses aren't. I'm sure there are a few up there who wonder if they'll make their mortgage payments too.

Lighten up, enjoy the movies. Your life would be boring without entertainment. These people serve quite the purpose.

Finally, this is really none of our business. Their salaries are not made up of public tax dollars, so why are they reported?

February 7, 2010 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  86. tom

one word that save you tons of cash to see movies – NETFLIX

February 7, 2010 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  87. markiejoe

No athletes in the Middle Ages? You've got to be joking. I suggest you take a history class. And they were very well paid for their time.

February 7, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  88. SaturdayNight

It's pretty simple. They make that much money because they are bringing in substantially more than that amount for a larger entity. They are being exploited by studios, etc. that make even more money. That is how the world works. If you have a skill or have something else valuable about you that can generate that much money, then you will be compensated. Bottom line. If they got lucky, good for them. They aren't stealing anyone's money. People just like you and me hand it to them everyday. I gladly do so. If you would not like to contribute, turn off your TV and don't go to the movies or read magazines.

February 7, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  89. cokie

The woman who complained about her $300 SS...guess she didn't put in enough to begin with. It ws never meant to completely support a person, only supplement. And her complaint about Medicare is really uncalled for. I can't begin to tell you all the tests and operations that Medicare has paid for me and everyone I know.

February 7, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  90. 1121212

Most of these people are generous and do help others. Its not fair to say they do not deserve it. It is a lot of work to make a film...and it takes a lot more work to act / produce / direct / score then most people would realize. The thing that separates us most from monkeys is the ability to be creative...and creation is divine.

February 7, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  91. paul lucas

It's really sad.

February 7, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  92. Emily

Isn't funny that with all their money-most on that list did not donate any to haiti. But they took from their very non busy lives to do a charity showing their name and asking us the public who struggle day to day to give what little we have. I find it insulting to read this list and furthermore, it makes me more determined than ever to stop going to the movies once we hit them in their wallets- they will be more humble as to appreciate that is not their talents that provided the lifestyle but the luck that we the people go and watch their sucky movies.....

February 7, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  93. James

Why are these people being such insane amounts of money? Why can't the Govt take it away from them with special taxes? I'm outraged.

February 7, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  94. Jamie

That's why I rent movies and watch them on my Bravia or get them from the library. I hate paying $10 unless the movie gets really good reviews. Luckily I didn't see Tranformers or Avatar......and Bay got rich thanks to idiots paying ot see his garbage.

February 6, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Herrikk

Well you see, before anyone critizes Brad for being at the bottom, you should probably know a thing or two about the box office,

Michael Bay Directed Transformers:RotF which grossed $835,274,255 in 2009 therefore he got approx. 14% of the movies overall gross income

Brad Pitt's ONLY movie in 2009 was Inglourious Basterds which grossed $319.1 million which he got just under 4% of the profit.

SO!, as you can see Michael Bay's movie made 500 milion bucks more than Brad's which is reasonable for a 10% profit increase so bam I win

February 6, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Dave

And a banker in New York got a $9million bonus by screwing people with overdraft fees, selling defaulted property and other robber/barron activities

February 6, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  97. robin

What, are you fans of the ins/oil people? Good night!

February 6, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  98. robin

It's sad that some of you resent their making big bucks. They aren't taking a big slice of money you're forced to pay out, like the oil execs
    or the insurance execs,

February 6, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Tom

If Michael Bay made $125m, he probably paid about $60m in taxes on it. How many teachers, policemen and firemen salaries do you think that pays for? How many noble public servants did your taxes from last year employ? We should be grateful that there are people out there making this kind of money because they are the ones disproportionately paying the taxes that afford so many people the everyday luxuries in this country that many take for granted.

Remember that the top 1% of income earners (i.e. the above list) pay 25% of the taxes in this country and 40% of Americans pay no federal income tax at all! You think this country is in a fiscal crisis right now!?? Try taking away that top 1% of earners, as so many of you would love to do, and then see where that leaves this country!

February 6, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Mike

Lets not hate on the people who make more money then us. This country is great because we can make that kind of money if you try. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the people in this country would love to switch places with that top 40 list without thinking about it. I cant hate on other people's success, if you dont like where you are at in your life do something about it and make it better for yourself, again this is something we can do in this country, but it wont be handed to you, you need to go get it.

February 6, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  101. ck

The world needs entertainers. It is a shame that real heroes like police and fireman and teachers do not get the same kind of treatment stars get. But..we live in a society where we bestow accolades to people who do NOTHING to earn it. Case in point Jon Gosselin, the Jersey Shore kids, Octomom, etc. It makes no sense..but it's fitting as we seem to be a sinking ship.

February 6, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Jeff

Jennifer Aniston is on the list? I didn't know being on the cover of People, US, et al, paid that much.

February 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  103. NotEnough

These people have to be on the top of the list of rich; they must share their wealth. The pay czar should calculate on how much of their pay must be taxed. People in Hollywood should understand since they were overwhelming in support of Obama. Now is the time they have to walk their talk. They supported the man, now they have to show they support him in their actions.

February 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Basil Mann

Yeah, those numbers are disgusting. I mean, really - who NEEDs that much money. Someone up there called it 'shameful' and they are right. They should pay US to go to their movies – spread the wealth. Sure, they give money away but so would you, wouldn't you? We should cap their income and do something useful with the surplus.... the question is, should we:

1) Give it all to the government so they can spend it on more war and burn through it with little benifit to the rest of us.

2) Simply spread it out to the populations so we can all buy more cigarettes, beer and lottery tickets.

3) Flush it down the toilet.

I suppose, we could leave it with them... but that would probably just result in:

1) Them living lives of shameful comfort.
    2) Them creating charities all over the world and helping people who actually need it more than you need your next pack-o-smokes.
    3) Them using the money to create more business, more jobs, more taxes and more great (to most people) entertainment.

February 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Ginny

We should be happy for them, c'mon people! I made a fraction (tiny fraction) of what they made and I'm a happy person. I love my life. Open up your minds and your hearts, it's all relative. Each and every one of us has the opportunity to go to Hollywood or New York, to study, act and make it big. It's not like it was just handed to them. They all worked hard and sacrificed along the way to attain their careers, just like the rest of us.

February 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Rich

LOL, I love it when people want to tell others how much money they should make. Also, for those that mentioned about firemen, teachers, etc... They would make millions too.. IF you would pay to watch them work!!! The ONLY reason actors/producers/sports stars make this money is because peope PAY to see them. I program computers. I am pretty good at it. But I doubt anyone is going to ever eat popcorn and watch me do it!

February 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Ginny

"Imagine" if there were no movies....sad. Actors have always made the big bucks, I don't mind at all. Think of all the good the actors do for the world, in charity concerts, donations, in aid.... I'm grateful to them for helping.I'd rather see them make it than the big insurance and bank executives, with bonuses from our bail out money!

February 6, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Bartleby

Oh – and another thing. Why aren't any of you moralizers who think all this is obscene yet fully support capitalism outraged about the BILLIONS in profits the studios and networks that hire these people make? Yeah, didn't think so. Bottom line – there are LOTS of examples of unjust compensation in the world. I teach, something everybody claims is important, yet my sister in law was a salesperson of, literally, cheap plastic stuff, and made three times what I did. The market does not reward what is important or good. If you have a problem with that, than you have a problem with capitalism. And you need to rethink bashing all those people you hate for being "socialist".

February 6, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Bartleby

You people are all idiots. We have a capitalist economic system. These people are paid based on market forces. Many of you are the first to yell 'socialist' at the first hint of any government program that helps folks and yet you pretend not to understand why these people make the money they do. Capitalism doesn't care about the value of the work in any intrinsic kind of way. It doesn't care if one person works "harder" than another. It is simply the market, which many of you claim to be such fans of, that decides our 'worth', at least financially. How many ceo's and owners of businesses that sell other 'worthless' crap are highly paid or rewarded? Do you people who claim to love capitalism so much even know what it is?

February 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Tom

Hypocritiwoodites most of them, asking us for our money while giving almost none of their own. I would tax them at 95% over $1,000,000

February 6, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  111. No Time For Liberals

So, one would assume that Obama will impose a tax or fine on these folks just like the banks/wallstreet as they make too much $

February 6, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Kyle

I find it quite amusing how several of you have these dogmatic opinions of celebrities. You're just bitter, maybe you should put your effort towards something "productive" instead of using it to complain.

February 6, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Rob

It amazes me how many people on here turned this into a political thing. Everyone does realize that the outrage against wall street is due to the bonuses they're handing out on the tax payer's dime, yes? Last time I checked we weren't giving James Cameron tax dollars to make movies...

February 6, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Randy

All of you people are complaining about the ridiculous salaries of Hollywood actors, directors and producers. Look at where the money is coming from, you will find a trail to your own wallets, we pay for these salaries. Maybe if we all donated 10 bucks a week to charity instead of purchasing a movie ticket America would be a better place.

Be the Change you want to see in the world

- Mohandas Karamchand Ghandi

February 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Greg

At least the Hollywood people produce something and don't cost
    us anything other than the cost of theatre tickets which we don't have
    to buy. The a**h*les running banks and wall street are another story.
    their crimes and stupidity have cost us all $$$ and jobs and still they pay themselves billions. They should be dragged from their mansions and shot!

February 6, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Lydia

I make $50,000 a year. Working for 30 years at that wage I'd make about 1% of what Michael Bay made this year. Damn!

February 6, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Mick Mou

This makes me feel squishy all over.

February 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  118. steve

Get over it guys. This is capitalism.

February 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Margie

Gee with that much money you would think they could give more to charity. But in my estimation they did more to earn that than all those egotistic sports players did.

February 6, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  120. dann

i cant beleave you people complain about how much money these people make.
    first.. off id be willing to bet they are taxed very heavely.no doubt in my mind about that.
    second... im sure many of them give away alot to many differant causes that you and i would never know about.
    third....ya big bunch of cry babbies i would bet that no matter what YOU make some one eles would say it was to much!!!!!
    just a thought.......thers about 6 billion people on this planet rate now....if you have enough money to have access to the internet and enough free time to worry about somthing as dumb as this.i beleave then ther are probley about 5 billion people that would trade places with you in a hear beat!!!!!!
    so shut up and get another job or volunter. try not wasting your time worrying about what others got if you want more work to get it...

February 6, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Yonatan

Moreover, a lot of these people gave 5-10% of their income to charity. We grossed about $285,000 in 2009 and now I feel guilty for giving $150 instead of $14,250.

February 6, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Anthony

Whether you like it or not they are overpaid. it isn't jelousy. These people don't do anything near as important as many americans yet get paid like kings. It is rediculous and I don't care if they have a good skill. No skill is worth that much. Go bag to the middle ages when actors were considered deplorable scum of the earth and athletes didn't exist. The good old days.

February 6, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  123. mucalitu

The reason they make a lot of money is because unlikely other things if you are not satisfied you cannot get your money back.Most of the movies i went to was a great lost of time plus a hole in my budget.Transformers 2 was a movie for re.....rds.Apparently in 2010 USA people who suck the most get the most money........and that include banks ,politicians,actors ,directors and big corporation CFO-s.

February 6, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  124. stu

I agree. I think Avatar sucked! What a rip off. Of course the special affects and 3 d glasses were cool. Other than that YUK! no story line, no nothing

February 6, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Thomas Russo

Joe Theplumber (Avr. Citizen) $30,000

February 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  126. BC44

Shia LaBeouf made more than Brad Pitt?!?!?!?!?! It IS a Weird World!!!

February 6, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  127. sharethewealth

Our country needs so much reform...not just healthcare...free college education as well. If you're so blessed to earn that much money, your tax share should be greater. Don't envy the rich/elite – pray our country has MORE of them so their taxes can contribute to getting our citizenry to where we need to be (100% college eduated & covered by FREE [our taxes pay for it ;)] healthcare for ALL. No one should be left behind.

February 6, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  128. dee

It is a shame that articles are on here of this caliber when there are so many people in need. I can bet none of the people have to worry about how they are going to feed their kids or pay the bills, and none of them have to worry that their home if fixing to get foreclosed. The un- Godly amount of wealth going to one person is discusting, the money that is payed to our celebrities is only our own faults.

February 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Mike

Anybody who doesn't think they deserve the money is delusional. They all produced a product that we all consumed. Who should get the money...you? If you don't want them to be rich, don't buy tickets. otherwise stop complaining.

February 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Paul

The Job czar is addressing executives of Publicly Owned companies that make a living speculating, loaning, buying/selling.... they don't create anything bust 'instruments' to enrich themselves while small 401K investors get burned. Those executives need to be reined in because they put our money at risk with no consequences nor limits to the millions they continue to pay themselves.

That is completely different then what actors, producers, directors, etc., are getting paid for. And if you don't think their pay is fair, then boycot the products they are involved with.... protest Disney.... whoever. But in their case, they are making something that you can choose to buy, invest in, or not get involved at all.

Entertainment Industry 'greed and deal-making is fairly open. And a huge majority of us won't feel any pain if they are mismanaged.

But financial institutions are shady, behind-the-door deals that affect us all. They should be paid based on real performance, and not some shell game of forecasts and profit projections they pull out of thin air.

February 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Steve

It really bothers me to hear how some people respond to others' success. No one has any business telling someone how much money they should give away, or how much money should be enough for someone else. This is how capitalism works, and it's responsible for many good inventions and products that we all use daily. Sure there can be excesses, but unless they are illegal, the only thing we have any right to do is to boycott these things.Sure luck can be involved in a persons' profession but to begrudge them that is jealousy. I don't care how much money you give away, you have no right to tell me how much I should give.

February 6, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Mike

Interesting, only one writer team...

Where are the writers?

February 6, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Jonathan

Okay, George Clooney donated $1 million to Haiti, or a little less than 5% of his 2009 income – how much of his $125 milliion has Michael Bay donated to Haiti so far? Just curious.....

February 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  134. ck

Ever since Jim Carrey landed 20 mil or so for "The Cable Guy" the rest of the stars salaries went way up. I don't remember them ever making that much in the past. I think the reason why the Oscar list now has ten instead of 5 for Best Picture is that it will make even more money if they can market a movie as Oscar worthy. I think Hollywood even after having a great year has to re-invent itself. The audience has become more savy and less accomodating. Some of the actors/producers are worthy of the big bucks. But how can you pay someone so much up front if they can't get it back in return. I don't think it's a risk Hollywood can take anymore with the sinking economy. After all..it's the people with less who are creating more for those few. Hollywood needs us more than they think.

February 6, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Jeremiah In WNY

Hey Bill,
    It wasn't a rant and I didn't call them stupid.
    Furthermore I never accused them of being anti-American or anything else like that. I did say they offered all their support to a President who would like to raise taxes on people making over 250K a year and that would include the Hollywood elite not just the Wall street crooks. For your information someone that wants to hold on to their money is not a republican they are greedy.
    I myself am an American not a republican or democrat. It would do most of the self righteous bush and Obama hatters on this board good to realize the same. YOU'RE ALL AMERICANS FIRST AND FOREMOST. You want to bicker about how this guy or that guy is not your president cause you didn't vote for them or because you think they stole the election or they weren't born here. Get over yourselves.

February 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  136. ramiro

out of the zillions of dollars they made much did they give to charity
    since they are always pretending they are giving millions to charity

February 6, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  137. LONELY PLANET

...well, they netted half of that.....California has a 10% state tax on $1 million or over, plus they are in the 38% bracket.......they netted half of what is printed......as most high income people do pay huge taxes

February 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Tina Ragland

Every time I see stats like these I wonder why our President isn't outraged by these salaries like he is about CEO salaries. Interesting.

February 6, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  139. RHG

The sense of entitlement by some commenting here is quite amusing.

February 6, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Bill

Some of these comments are ridiculous. Spare me the envy and jealousy...these celebrities, like athletes, help their employers make tens and hundreds of millions of dollars, which is why they are compensated so highly. When some of you clowns actually generate the kind of money for your employer that these people do, then maybe you'll make more than the national average wage.

Also, for the one guy who ranted that all these celebrities were stupid for supporting Obama when he was only going to raise taxes on them...no, they weren't. They make good money, love their country, and were willing to sacrifice some of that money for the better of the country they love. If they were greedy and wanted to hoard every dollar while the country they claimed to love fell apart, they would be Republicans.

February 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Terry

Most of these people are over-rated, over-paid. I can't imagine Ben Stiller making $40 m, Owen Wilson $29 m and Adam Sandler $31.5.m.

Here's how much they made from me. $0.00. I would not walk across the street to see most of them.

February 6, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  142. zelda

You know..........there are so many of us out here trying our best to survive in this country it's a national disgrace.Hard working well intentioned people that are either trying to raise kids or at the other end ,trying to survive on SSI.I am the latter.............my SSI is $300.00 a month.No health care(medicare<what a joke)and having to make choices on how to eat, pay rent in some dump,go to a doctor,put gas in a car.put oil in a car,put brakes on a car,HAVE a car just to get to a store where you can't afford the food you need to be healthy etc. etc.
    What is wrong here?................hmmmmmmmmmmm........It's certainly a no brainer.
    Capitalism has gone very wrong.
    Imagine how the regular person feels reading some "actor" is making rediculous amounts of money.
    By the way....I am out of toilet paper(for real). Anyone have an extra roll they can send my way???

February 6, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Ted

These numbers just prove the old agage: "No one ever went broke underestimating the tastes of the American public" ~ HL Mencken

February 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Mike

And these people are on the phone asking you for your money for Haiti

February 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  145. jj

Anyone care to bring up the 'flat tax' nonsense? Thought not!
    Anyone making millions a year should pay a lot of taxes! $40m – even more!

February 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Victor

Reading this or reading about millions made by many working for financial institutions make me SICK!!!! No matter how much the tax hike for the elite, they won't have to worry about how to pay their mortgage, they won't start getting their haircuts at Greatclips, buy their clothes at TJ Maxx, make lunch at home to avoid spending money eating out, etc, etc all the things that most Americans have to do to survive. Their job is not more valuable than that of a good teacher, or a good cop–I say, TAX THE HECK OUT OF THESE PEOPLE AND OFFER SOME RELIEF TO THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING THEM SO RICH.

February 6, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Jeremiah In WNY

Brad Pitt is at the bottom because he is spending most of his time helping the people of New Orleans.
    As for the rest of Hollywood, I wonder why there is no outrage or uproar from these creative elite? Didn't they pay attention to what Obama was saying during his campaign speeches and continues to say now about people that make that kind of money. He wants to reinstate taxes that would take almost half of the money they earn. He keeps talking about people that make more than 250k a year. That would apply to all of these creative elite in Hollywood. Could it be that "some pigs are more equal than others" as Orsen Wells put it in his book "Animal Farm".

February 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Jen

All this does is show how screwed up our society is. Why should directors, actors. producers earn multi millions of dollars? What do they really do? Look pretty and entertain? There are alot of people who do much more important jobs that make a pittance. It's messed up!

February 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Dane Micheal

This is very incredbile price that director of the action film " Most powerful rich of the year, " Who Micheal Bay, earned more money that could be Steven Spelberg and James Cameron if highest earn ever than everyone else who has it with you. That is very imagineable who made the most in Hollywood last year..... Hollywood walk... please ask me about comment..
    Thank you .. Dane MIcheal-Very Hollywood

February 6, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Melissa

I agree with HRG, that this is part of a free market economy, but sheesh. The median income in 2009 for America was $61,000 for a four member family. All this list does is show how, exactly, the idea of capitalism has gone wrong-there's the super rich and the super poor, but the middle class is gone.

February 6, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Carol

Where is multi-award winning actress Meryl Streep?
    She should be paid commensurate with her exception acting ability....

February 6, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Not a Socialist

To those on ceaseless tirades about how much celebrities make, consider for a moment that they literally provide entertainment to millions of people–people like you, who pay $10 or more of their hard-earned (or, in some cases, not-so-hard-earned) money to forget about their problems for a couple hours. For that period of time, you can just enjoy, be moved or intrigued or stimulated by a film. You might argue that the movie isn't worth $10, and in many cases, you couldn't be more right (subjectively, of course). However, celebrities themselves have no leverage over movie ticket prices, which are a function of unrelated macroeconomics. What they do have control over is their performances, their direction, their production, the heart and soul of the film you're privileged to be able to watch (or hate, in some cases).

If you think they're so severely overpaid, why don't YOU try and write, direct, produce, star in, or even crew on a feature-length film and let us know how it works out. In the meantime, realize that in at least one way, you're a WILLING player in the game which you so despise, and you're a member of a largely capitalistic society in which the exchange of goods and services for monies is acceptable, not frowned upon. That which you disparage is the American dream; embrace it or move somewhere else.

February 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  153. comman_man

While we are left open to conditions like the recession & depressions.These people are immune to it. They have the right to be rich but they should be heavily taxed...but wait!....they have their pet dogs in washington, while we dont even have a voice.....hence they can evade taxes, while my paycheck comes with the tax deducted.That is the reason i watch all movies online (yes pirated!!) and dont have cable.

February 6, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Lisa

Next time you paid $12 to see a movie, atleast you know where it's going!

February 6, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Travis

Wow, Emma Watson making the most as a teen star. More than Nicolas Cage and Brad Pitt????

February 6, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  156. chucky

awwww all the socialists in here are mad because they aren't successful and want the rich people to share with them

February 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  157. James Taylor

Ange "hummmm, what did the President do with his N. Prize money?"

He donated all. Pretty cool huh..

Also remember he was nominated for the Peace prize. He didnt ask to be part of that or even win it. It was out of his hands. Still he did the right thing and donated to good causes.

February 6, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Scott

I'd love to see how much each Hollywood topgun did for humanitarian purposes. Why don't we focus on the dollar amount?

February 6, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  159. yoyo the clown

First, Nicolas Cage was taken advantage of by someone that was trusted to handle his affairs. Second, get a better understanding of bankruptcy. His obligations are still outstanding and must be paid back. His bankruptcy is just a re-organizing of his debts. Lastly, for those of you who lambast what others make, next time you want a raise, don't even bother asking. Just remind yourself that there are others that make less than you.

February 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  160. YouAllWatchTheseMovies

I can't even believe some of the comments on this thread. Yeah, they all make tons of money.... would ANY of you turn down that money if you had any skills to offer worth anything? Of course you would. So many of the comments are completely out of jealousy. Grow up people. I'm sure every single one of the people on these lists have given more away than any of you. It's all relative. Don't hate on success because you're a failure.

February 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  161. charlie

as long as people are willing to pay the ticket price for a movie, the stars will continue to get richer

February 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Kyle

This list should be renamed "The most overpaid" in America....And you people are pissed at bankers for making money.

February 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Chicago

That pay czar stuff applies to companies who have received federal bailout money.

February 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  164. himister

Its an absolute outrage that Shia is so far down the list, he should be up there with Ben Stiller, the two of the perhaps the greatest actors of this generation!

February 6, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Marco

Someone should know by now the difference between an actor and an actress

February 6, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  166. HRG

Let me be very clear, it is not terrible to have thoughts about how much anyone makes, and it certainly is Christian to want to reach out and help others, whether led by God or by other personal beliefs or desires. Because of my own personal beliefs, I choose to give away a portion of my income, but the key point here is that it is a personal decision. What is terrible is to consider having the U.S. government control or dictate via a pay czar or any other vehicle how much you, I, or anyone else can earn. And yes, we send an incredibly screwed up message by paying entertainers and athletes more than teachers, but I am willing to take the good with the bad when it comes to a free market economy. A fairly bright spot: according to Giving USA, American giving reached a record high in 2007, with donations totaling $314 billion, dropping off a bit to $308 billion in 2008.

February 6, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  167. JCS

Imagine no money, I wonder if you can...
    -John Lennon

February 6, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  168. Greg

I agree with many of the comments. Folks from Hollywood are truly blessed financially. I'm curious to know why they haven't been targeted in respect to a salary cap. Do they really deserve 10-20 million a picture for 4-6 months of work??? Some even get over a million $$ an episode for a weeks work on television. It really is crazy when you think about it. Even if the movie is a complete flop they still get their millions, someone really needs to get smart with out of control Hollywood compensation.

February 6, 2010 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  169. Steve-O

It's too bad really. Bay making that much money only encourages him to make more obnoxiously loud and bad movies.

February 6, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  170. vegan

Nicolas Cage earned $28 million last year. Look where he is now.

February 6, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  171. j.Jhonson

Is funny some of this actors don't even have college education like Kristen Stewart and yet they make millions and here we are some of us with a Diploma and no jobs wow life is no fair some of us can even watch a movie hahahahahaha.

February 5, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Jim

Where is Charlie Sheen, seems like he should be on the list??

February 5, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  173. steve

Its really pathetic that anyone on here who questions why so much money goes to so few people is considered a "socialist" ...like its so terrible to even have these thoughts. Isn't it rather christian like to care about others? What about the less fortunate....the people who are in desperate need of food and place to live while some actor can spend millions of dollars on pure excess. True, it is their right to use their money as they please and I wouldn't want it any other way...but even the most ardent capitalist must AT LEAST ponder whether this gross inequality borders on insanity. It just makes me wish that as a society we supported our teachers, doctors, and the like more so than actors, producers, etc. Does that make me a crazy socialist like Obama?

February 5, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  174. tom

This is sickening to see in these times. I struggle to pay my bills AND have enough left over to buy groceries, let alone have enough extra to go see a movie.

February 5, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  175. BA

I agree with HRG... I haven't been to a movie theatre in 11 years. I am dusgusted at how much you have to pay for a ticket and the theatres dont event ry to make the seats comfortable. I'll spend my money else where. II'd rather pay the rental fee.

February 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  176. lucy2

Horrible as Transformers 2 supposedly was, people around the world willingly forked over $800 million to see it. If you create a product that so many are willing to spend money on, good for you. It's all business.

I'm amazed that Nicolas Cage 1) still earns money like that and 2) with that income, still manages to be broke. If you can't live within your means when your means are $20 mil/year, you deserve to be broke!

February 5, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  177. HRG

In case anyone needs to be reminded, we live in a capitalistic society (despite Obama's socialistic intentions) with a free market economy. The idea of a pay czar over any industry is appalling. While we all tend to "need" financial institutions, we do not "need" Hollywood by any stretch of the imagination. As a very current example, no one has forced anyone to spend their hard earned money to make 'Avatar' the highest grossing movie of all time. Simply stop patronizing Hollywood's products; if enough individuals were to do so, the law of supply and demand will reduce related pay checks. It's also time to grow up and stop expecting the government to fix your real or perceived problems. Look at Washington's inability to get things accomplished; does anyone expect the Whitehouse and Congress to "fix" anything of importance, let alone what Hollywood pays producers, directors, and actors? Wow!

February 5, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  178. M76

So while everyone is losing their jobs and their homes, look at how much money these people make and consider how they do nothing for anyone except themselves (with the exception of a few trendy charities).

February 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  179. keith

When you stop and think about it, it's rediculous that anyone gets paid millions of dollars to act in a movie. We pay sports figures millions too. Compare that to the salary of a fireman who may save your life, or even a doctor. Or the your childrens teachers. Which are more important?

February 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Bill

I don't see Will Smiths name? Didn't make any money?

February 5, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  181. lee

Cameron made something like $115M from Titanic, so I doubt his Avatar income is only $50M. ONLY $50M... Ha! Anyway, I'm sure when its all said and done, Cameron will have made well in excess of $100M for Avatar. Would love to know his final rake.

February 5, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Jhon

This people should be donating at least the 10 % of their earnings to those who really need, like haiti and those poor states or coutrys where there is no clothes to wear and no food to eat !.

February 5, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  183. GEE EYE JOE

All the folks with socialist leanings (i.e. they shouldn't make that much money) should keep one thing in mind.. All the poor people of the world, all the middle class and otherwise practically handed them all that money.

If the movies they made didn't convince people to sacrifice two consecutive hours of their life, plus transportation, plus $10-$15, then nobody would actually put that money into these people's pocket. When all of the profits are added up, where do you think the money from a great film is supposed to go?

How about the people who made it happen.

Just be happy that we live in a country where you can make that kind of money if you do something 'great.' And that we still have good films to enjoy.

Okay, I'm done.

February 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  184. BK

For everyone getting all high and mighty about what these actors make: Do you ever stay to watch the credits after these people's movies? Doubt it, or else you would realize that while these people make a ton of money (maybe excessive, but in America we have the freedom to earn this much money, warranted or not), look at how many jobs they create. Without these people how many would be out of jobs? How many people wouldn't be able to forget about how much they don't like their own lives by taking a break with these films? Come off it.

February 5, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  185. J.J.

Walter, they were taking about corporate execs who took bailout money and havent paid it back in full duh.

February 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  186. VT

Avatar and Transformers were good, although I see that talent doesn't always determine income. My hope is that I am rewarded for my talent and for optimizing the use of my skill set.

February 5, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  187. greg

Boycott Hollywood and the entertainment industry.

February 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Me

Ok, but think James Camerons Avatar didn't even start until December 18th.

February 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Barry

Actually these numbers seem low. I am sure that Cameron must own part of Avatar, so does this reflect the fact that the movie was open for only one month in 2009?

February 5, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Jennifer

What do you think Brad thinks of Angelina pulling in more than him?

February 5, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  191. LBW

Cameron's last divorce cost him that much.

February 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  192. WB

So Michael Bay earned $3.9 per each SECOND in 2009 while Brad pit earned $0.42!

February 5, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Angie

Why don't they deserve it? Because you said so? And a lot of people on this list donate big $ to organizations to assist the needy. Who cares what they do with all that money. They worked for it, even if you didn't enjoy their film. When is the last time you saw someone who got a handout, give out a handout. If it wasn't for filthy stinkin rich actors/athletes donating, a lot of organizations would go unfunded. I don't think CNN should've posted this, cause who cares, really. But, don't blame these 40 folks for getting over 1 billion dollars in income when you have other suit wearers raking in the dough too.

hummmm, what did the President do with his N. Prize money?

February 5, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Debra R

Pitt is at the bottom because he belongs there....

February 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  195. TTB

Yeah... that is hysterical he's at the bottom... I am laughing out loud right now... NOT... maybe because it is because he is busy helping rebuild New Orleans.. or wait.. maybe traveling around the world trying to make better lives for the less fortunate... all the while making 13.5 million dollars (which he is very charitable with).. what have YOU done lately ?

February 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Jae

I am sure there are millions of people that would like to be at the bottom of that list with Brad.

February 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  197. ModelLA

I think James, Michael, and Steven are wonderful Directors. All of their movies are amazing. They SHOULD ALWAYS be getting paid that much! Its not easy work!!! I just think its funny how Brad is at the bottom!!!

February 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Jules

And Nicolas Cage is broke!

February 5, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  199. Cindy

I agree with the job czar. Why does anyone think they need to earn that much money? What do they do with all that money? Why not share it with those less fortunate than they are.

February 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • SteveNavyGuy

Please move to Cuba and you will get your wish. You seem to hate American way of life. Ask Obama to give his, and Michelle's millions to the less fortunate. See what they say.

July 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Duncan

$1.27 billion.

That's a shameful amount of money to go to just 40 people, some of whom deserve it, most of whom weren't involved in anything impressive, and all of whom don't need it.

February 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  201. ryan

Michael Bay blows. A bad movie and that much money, obscene.

February 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  202. ryan

The top actors are in the Potter franchise, those kids hit the jackpot on being cast. May as well make it now because type cast is going to be tough for two of them anyway.

February 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  203. citizenUSA

I don't think anyone working a regular job really cares about the millions of dollars someone else makes. I think it rather insensative for CNN to make this a story. Can any one of them lend me a few bucks?

February 5, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Walter

Look out, Hollywood! Obama's job czar just announced on another (not to be named) network that "nobody should make a salary over $500,000 a year." Anything in excess of that, he said, should be paid in stock options that can't be exercised for five to ten years! So, if there's any justice in the world, the pay czar will move from banks and financial institutions to Hollywood's elite next.

February 5, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  205. Saly

I guess winning the Razzie award earned him that pay....

February 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  206. headdivaincharge

Funny, I don't even care that Bay's movies are not that great. I just feel like Cameron is so unlikable that I don't want him to succeed. And by the way – I DID NOT like "Avatar".

February 5, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |