February 3rd, 2010

'Avatar' is No. 1 movie of all time

testing captions
testing captions

It was only a matter of time - 47 days, to be precise.

According to the box office tally site Boxofficemojo.com, "Avatar" is now the highest-grossing movie of all time domestically. The James Cameron film's business now stands at $601.1 million, ahead of the $600.8 million Cameron's "Titanic" did back in 1997-98.

Moreover, "Titanic" took 252 days to top out; "Avatar," which has been the biggest movie in the country since its mid-December release, is still No. 1 and shows little sign of flagging (and those nine Oscar nominations won't hurt).

The film is already the global box office leader, having topped "Titanic's" $1.8 billion-plus last week.

Yes, there's been a lot of teeth-grinding over what this means. Yes, tickets for "Avatar" cost more than "Titanic," or "Star Wars," or "Gone With the Wind." Yes, the film is still down the list if you adjust for inflation. But credit where credit is due: "Avatar" was a monumental gamble - its budget is the kind of thing that can cripple studios - and it's paid off, both critically and commercially. James Cameron has got the golden touch.

(Incidentally, you can see Cameron and the "Avatar" cast on Wednesday night's "Larry King Live," which begins at 9 p.m. ET on CNN.)

1. GOUT IN ANKLE

Any recomendations concerning how to find a blog for teens?

September 26, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. Andrew

Hello good publish , Appreciate your sharing these details

September 24, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. ways to win back your ex

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually realize what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally visit my web site =). We will have a link change agreement between us!

August 23, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. johnny loo

it is the best movie ever!
    the story's awesome
    kick ass.. topper!!

March 14, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Light Fittings

i am a movie addict and i watch a lot of movie in just one night, the greatest movie for me is Somewhere In Tome ,*.

December 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shower Caddy `

in my opinion, the greatest movie would be Somewhere In Time ~,'

October 11, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Theo Shaw

my dentist installed a veneer on my front tooth and it looks better than ever~",

October 6, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kfirrr

new amazing avatar animation movie

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgY7H5VDrSI&w=640&h=390]

July 13, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. Matthew Clark

for me, the greatest movie is non other than War of the Worlds.;,.

June 21, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MJ

I totally agree with the comment from Ralpher!!! Who wants to go to a movie and see depressing movies about war, gore, and abuse. We see enough of that on the news. Movies are suppose to be about entertainment, something that makes us feel good and puts a smile on our face. James Cameron has that figured out, at least in some of his movies. The only other director who comes close to his movies and talent is Stephen Speilberg. Who doesnt' love ET, Indiana Jones, etc...too long to list.

February 5, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mark

I wasn't blown away by it. I really was annoyed with the male lead. I can clearly hear is Australian accent throughout the movie. I never heard of him but i knew he wasn't American.
    Most Australian and British actors have done a great job of using an American accent. Russel Crowe Simon Baker Nicole Kidman.
    Rene Zellweger put a lot of training and effort into her Bridgit's accent.
    The guy in Avatar, didn't put in the effort. It was distracting to me.

February 5, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tony

:Robert Posey @ 5:59 pm.

>> Titanic's plot was totally unbelievable (the love story) to me, and the end was very predictable.

Agreed with your points but had to laugh nevertheless - of course the end to The Titanic was very predicable.... ;-)

February 5, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. jim

Great visuals, standard story we have seen before. It was Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves/Last Samurai with blue cat people. Plot could have been better, but again, an achievement in effects. All in all, still a pretty good film and an achievement. Cameron knows sci-fi (though Aliens will always be his greatest film).

February 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scott Perry

Yep. And McDonald's has the #1 hamburger.

February 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joseph

saw the daily poll, avatar or titanic.
    where's choice # 3, "they're both generic, mass-media pablum?"

February 4, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. connie

I found the plot very disturbing. It is so indicative of what is wrong with with hummanity. Power, aggression and violence in the name of greed.

February 4, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  17. Rain

I'm just a simple gal who thought this movie was great!

February 4, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  18. jade in San Francisco

The whole Gone with the Wind analogy is a red herring. I mean how many times did Gone With the Wind need to be re-released over the years for it to make what it did? Avatar did it within how many days? A little perspective would be appreciated. Avatar fans aren't denying that GWTW was a major success and one of the great commercial successes of all time, but it had certain advantages that today’s movies don’t have, and which people like Todd Leopold conveniently forget. For example, back when it came out, if you wanted to see a movie, you HAD to see it in theaters. There were no computers so no web piracy, no DVDs or VHS, no cable, no Pay-Per-View or HBO. The proliferation of widespread TV ownership had yet to take place. You couldn’t see a trailer for a movie like GWTW or Avatar and think, “Oh, I’ll wait for it on Blu-Ray.” If you didn’t see it in theaters, you didn’t see it! Also don't forget that we are still knee deep in one of the worst global recessions ever. Getting people to spend their hard earned dollars on a movie, much less a high dollar 3D engagement is nothing short of phenomenal. Adjusted for inflation or not, Avatar deserves all its success and awards. It has united a worldwide audience better than any film in history, awoken every single viewers primordial communion with mother nature, and it took less than two months to do it.

February 4, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  19. Douglas

oh, and Sam, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they adjust the figures for inflation. Maybe not though, not 100% on that.

February 4, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dave

Absolutely a great movie. AND GOOD STORY. Period. In fact, I'm not even sure I can call that a movie, it's seriously on another level. The criticism of the story is now sounding like broken record material, simply not true. Hilarious that's all the intellectual "elite" can come up with to back up their weak viewpoint. I haven't heard these people mention examples of what they think good story-telling is. Probably something avant-garde or obscure that noone saw or cared about but is really good when you're wasted (not that Avatar wouldn't be.) I did not think of Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves or the Smurfs once when I saw Avatar, I was completely into it as was everyone else in the theater. (My only personal tiny criticism is the villagers communal hippy dance, but I do it secretly at home in the backyard. Not as fun in the snow.)

February 4, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  21. Douglas

in response to cnn's question about which movie is better, Avatar or Titanic, they both were dreadful. I saw a funny observation about Avatar but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense; it's Disney's Pocahontas redone. At any rate, I can't believe so many people have gone to see this movie. I just didn't get what is so great about it other than the new technology used.

February 4, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. Cody

This is proof of America's idiocracy. Avatar is the #1 grossing movie of all time? Wow. How the mighty have fallen.

February 4, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sam

Actually... it's not. If you change all movies to the amount it costs to go to a movie these days, it is not the best movie at all. Think... $8-9 for a movie today vs. 12 years ago for Titanic when it was only $5-6. And all the early movies, Gone With the Wind, Wizard of Oz? Those were far less than a dollar. It is not the top of all time. It just cost more to go see it, which made it up there. Plus, it was stupid.

February 4, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  24. Avatar-fan

Loved the movie. Loved the story. A movie for the times. Sorry some missed the nuances of the stoty telling.

February 4, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  25. Bernard

How James Cameron is? I love the movie, how did he came about all that. In fact the movie is so nice......

February 4, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  26. Danny

I think people are taking this movie WAY too seriously. It's a MOVIE. A SCI-FI movie at that. It's not supposed to be real. If you want reality, go see Precious or the Hurt Locker. I do think they're a lot of haters on here, who see something that's getting alot of attention, and they just want to have something negative to say. Haters.....

February 4, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. george26

there are a few seperatists on this board that are in denial...

This movie is definately one of the greatest, right next to D9

James Cameron, Neill Blomkamp, Peter Packson are some of the few directors I trust making movies

February 4, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  28. Dennis

Cameron said it all last night on Larry King Live! We have all seen movies with great CGI – however if there is not great acting, a compelling story and an emotional investment on the audience's part then any movie sucks! Think of Transformers Sure it was a big money maker but nothing like Avatar which has universal aclaim and 9 Oscar nominations including Best Picture. The need for great actors will never die because that is what gives a movie its emotional intensity and now this type of CGI and capture facial motions only enhances the world of cinema! Naysayers said the same thing about TV – that movie theaters would be a thing of the past, etc. The list goes on.

February 4, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  29. Mike

To me it was a terrible story but it was an excellent movie...

February 4, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  30. khalil sharif abdullah

Two thumbs up! one of the best blockbuster of all times.cameron is a genius...

February 4, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  31. evile420

Very awesome movie, worthy of its place in film history.

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but if I remember correctly the 'hype' didn’t start till AFTER the movie was released and it didn’t have an overwhelming opening weekend... wasn’t all the hype before it began about how it is nothing but 'dances with smurfs' and being paned online as a bust?

it just seems to me a lot of people complaining about it are those who already had their minds made up before seeing it... art house crowd who don’t like anything not independent... and fan boys of other movies who cant stand to see their franchises beaten at anything ('its not the best... look at inflation! Yeah that’s it!! Inflation!!!')

It just seems like there is a lot of hate because of the technology used. Yes it is all cgi, but isn’t that the natural evolution of the technology that began with the first puppet on a string?

The truth of the matter, it is a wonderful story that I have enjoyed the many times I have seen it, the cgi was wonderful and I feel the motion capture did a wonderful job of catching the range of emotion in the story and I honestly believe if it wasn’t a cgi character that Zoë would have been nominated for a Globe... but that is just me.

February 4, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  32. Scott

I have to give Avatar credit that it is the best film for the Obama Generation Each Generation has had its own Avatar, like Star Wars. This is not the best film of al time and Titanic's first hour actually sucked. Get real, its the flavor of the year for now!

February 4, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  33. Malyk

I'v got little to say but truth is James Cameron is a god among filmmakers. Avatar is the product of science, technology and art in their most breathtaking form. Cameron has drawn the line, it's up to the others to keep up with the pace.

February 4, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  34. Michael

Take the $$ out of the equation; use number of tickets sold for the FIRST RELEASE only; I say that because some movies (Star Wars, for instance) were released to theaters multiple times. Is "Avatar" the best movie I've ever seen (and I've seen it 4 times already) ... No. For me, that's either "Twelve O'Clock High" or "Great Escape" ... but "Avatar" is DEFINITELY one of the most ENJOYABLE movies I've ever seen; it stunned me as much the fourth time as it did the first. I don't see a rip off of either "Pocohontas" or "Dances With Wolves". This movie will finally force me into the BLu-Ray camp once released to that medium. I loved it ... and apparently, so have millions all over the world. The numbers don't lie ...

February 4, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  35. CrazyPH17

totally rocks and didnt even get to finish da movie

February 4, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  36. rontianjin

Avatar was a fun to see movie, I loved it, even better than Star Trek. What I fail to understand is why Zoe does not get nominated for an acadamy award for best actress. She did a fantastic job in making her charactor come to life. What skill and acting ability. In my book she beats Sandra and Meryl hands down.

February 4, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  37. Charlie - TX

I nearly fell asleep in this movie and so did my daughter and she absolutely loves movies. The movie is total hype! But, people need this sort of hype now and then. Personally, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in this movie.

Definitely, not on a par with Dumbo.

February 4, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  38. Aaron

This is easily in my top three favorites of all time.... BUT, it doesn't even make the top 10 in "TICKET" sales of all time... not even close! They need to re-think the definition of 'biggest movie of all time' or '#1 box office of all time'. Even at this pace, it still won't come close to the top five (ticket sales) of all time!

February 4, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  39. Lili

Excellent piece of work..............

February 4, 2010 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  40. Obie

Great immersive filmmaking, can't wait for the sequel!

February 4, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  41. Judith

Not bad.....

February 4, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  42. Rich39

Let me think. 1000 people pay $12 to see Avatar. That's $12,000
    30 years ago, 8000 people pay $1.25 to see a movie. That's $10,000.
    This is just a small example of economics.

The headlines should say. Avatar is the No. 1 money maker of all times. It's not the best movie. It's an average movie.

February 4, 2010 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  43. joseph chielli

This is a sad comment on the level of taste of the American public. We are a country of immature minds, anti-intellectual, obsessed with cheap thrills rather than substance. I suppose the next award will be given to some Internet comic book that replaces the New York Times, or perhaps a super iPod that replaces the concert hall.

As PT Barnum once said, " you will never go broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

February 4, 2010 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  44. SrslyPpl

Wow! Fantastic special effects! You know, someday somebody should use all these fantastic special effects and use them to make a _movie_. Wouldn't THAT be cool? In the meantime, it's a pretty cool demo reel.

A year from now, nobody's going to be talking about this movie, other than a footnote about how it's the new bar to beat. Everything BUT the special effects are terribly weak.

At least with Titanic, the effects took a back seat to the actual story. And Aliens was actually far better done. If they'd used these special effects for the Aliens story...wow. THAT would've been a movie to see.

February 4, 2010 at 4:43 am | Report abuse |
  45. Mimi

Just as I thought... the humans never get the message, they are always to concerned with knocking everyone else down to understand what is being taught!! How sad that something so wonderful as the movie Avatar isn't really understood.

February 4, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  46. larry

Saw the film today. Totally enjoyed it. Everyone talks that this film doesn't make the top 30 based on inflation. Consider how many thousands of films have been made and being in the top 30 would be a major achievement. The film was what is was intended to be, an escape. We sometimes try to take filmaking to serious. I don't pay money to be slapped with reality. I get that everyday when I get out of bed. We go to the movies for fun. Either you liked the movie or not. Most who didn't ,likely do not like the genere and thats okay. Want realistic film go see Precious, the Hurt Locker or any of the other fine films that have been made. I'll catch them on Netflix but not paying ten bucks to see someone abused by their family. That to me is way to depressing in the times in which we live.

February 4, 2010 at 4:14 am | Report abuse |
  47. Botomatic

Since the article is about box office, I'm not going to bother judging the film as art. As a box office phenomenon, it's only number one if you don't take inflation into account.

If my company set a sales record by making a million dollars selling donuts in 1954, it probably required sales of about 10 million donuts. Nowdays, if the company sells about 2 million donuts to earn 1 million and 1 dollars, breaking the 1954 revenue record, is it fair for the company to proclaim that it had its "best year ever"?

The reality is that Avatar will be about the 15th most successful film of all time (close to "Return of the Jedi") when sales are adjusted for inflation. If there were reliable ticket sales information, I'd guess Avatar would rank a little bit lower still since 3D admissions command an extra premium. Still, it's definitely a remarkable achievement to make so much money in an era where video games vie for money and mindshare, huge TVs at home are the norm and films are not only available on video a couple months after theatrical release but can be watched everywhere from your phone to your computer to your car.

February 4, 2010 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  48. Sevinthseal

"Highest-grossing" and "greatest" are not the same thing. A film is judged in hindsight based on how much it influences films made afterwards. Having said that, Cameron is a special effects superfreak (T2, Aliens) and I love his films. But he is no Orson Welles.

February 4, 2010 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  49. helenecha

To be successful which of top-grossing film of "Avatar" of all-time, our children's best interests will be much more than elders anytime.

February 4, 2010 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  50. helenecha

February 4, 2010 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  51. Paul

Avatar is a shameless rip-off of Roger Dean's work from way back in the 1970's. Maybe Cameron thought that many people would not remember that they'd already seen books with pictures of blue people living in giant trees and riding dragons 35 years ago? Check out the covers of Yes albums drawn by Dean, check out Dean's books - "Views", etc. Avatar is a rip-off of other people's work as well - just a mash up of other people's work, nothing riginal. Avatar is visually stunning, but unfortunately is sets a new standard for plagarism. I can't wait to see what happens to the profits when the lawyers get involved...

February 4, 2010 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  52. Christopher Martin

Good special effects and all, but whats-his-face has nothing on the Waiczowski bros and the Matrix. I'm saving my money for Assasin.

February 4, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  53. giveitasecondlook

No, not every story has been told. Look at "The Hurt Locker", "An Education", "Precious", "A Single Man", "Up in the Air".....(I'm seeing Crazy Heart this weekend so I'll weight in after that) and hell, even "Invictus". These stories haven't been told. Saying the story has been told is a cop out. Avatar was visually breathtaking but if it wins Best Picture I may actually cry because the Oscars will go the way of the Grammys and only award sales, not art.

Avatar was beautiful to look at but the story was fair and the dialogue ATROCIOUS. BUT, the story just wasn't there.

Finally,

SCREENPLAY MATTERS WHEN IT COMES TO BEST PICTURE!

February 4, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  54. Jess

Like Juan and a few others have said, the story and it's characters are based upon archetypes; stories and characters who's "type" show up in many cultures and backgrounds. This was actually a very wise move on Cameron's part, give a story where everyone can relate and tell it using great "illustrations". It helped that the animation and the real were seamless: add to that an incredible musical score and you get an eye-popping, mind-blowing experience.

If you look at most of our movies they use archetypes, how many "Cinderella" or "Beauty and the Beast" types are there, and no one complains because we can relate to the characters and/or the storyline based on our own cultural experiences.

Great movie, worth every penny and then some to see even with raising ticket prices.

February 4, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  55. LG in VA

I really don't care which film has the highest total. But my question is this... are the dollar amounts for Avatar adjusted for inflation? What was the price of a movie ticket in 1999 vs today? My bet is that it took fewer ticket sales to get to that $601m figure. My point being while Avatar made more money, more people paid to see Titanic.

February 4, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  56. arrowTarrow

The "hot naked alien chick". That was the reason I was given when I asked a group of 12 year old boys why they went to see Avatar 5 times in the theater.

February 4, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  57. Kuldeep

If anyone is interested in the name 'Avatar'. It's from Sanskrit language in India, and means 're-incarnation'.

It is pronounced as a 2-syllable. First would be 'Uv' like in 'Love', and the second sounds like 'taar', as in 'jar'.

So, the correct pronunciation is 'Uv..taar' as per Sanskrit (also in Hind).

February 4, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  58. kivi

P.T. Barnum's words describes Hollywood's attitude toward moviegoers: "You'll never go broke underestimating the taste of the American public." Avatar was another glorification of American military aggression and American's love of violence. James Cameron, you are not helping America's image abroad.

February 4, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  59. Marisol

I have heard many people complain how it had a horrible plot. As human beings we love to see guns and bolts going everywhere. But, what we do not realize is that there are more important things out their than violence. Love is expressed in this movie. Love for nature, respect for their deity, love for what they have, strong moral values, and love for their people. This is what we need in our lives, not gun or horror movies. They get us no where. You are wrong if you say it is tree huggers crap. No that is not the point. The point is that life is love. Love is life. Open your mind. Think! Just for a moment.

Go Avatar!

February 4, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  60. James

For all those who are quick to point to 'tickets sold' Avatar is still in it's first run & already in the top 20 of tickets sold with no signs of a major slow down. While 13 of the movies ahead of it had several re-releases. So yes they would sell more tickets. And yes gone with the wind and Star wars, the so called standard bearers, had multiple re-releases. Avatar reminded of what it was like the first I saw Star wars, a fun movie/adventure. Who cares if there was no 'deep story line'. If i wanted that i'd see Blindside or hurt locker.

February 4, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  61. khaled from Dubai

Only James Cameron can beat himself. This reminds me when Speliberg dominated the top 10 for years with his ET, Jaws, and then Jurrasic Park. With two or three more movies for Cameron, the top 10 may end up with his name dominating the box office. I hope that Steven Speilberg comes up with something that put his name where he should be, because to me Speilbeerg, along with Cameron are the two best ever in theri genre.

February 4, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  62. javadanny

I just saw The Hurt Locker on a Netflix DVD. If it beats Avatar for best movie Oscar...well. Hurt is the movie with no story line this year. Seemed like it was 4 hours long rather than the actual 1 hour, 57 minutes. Played like a documentary...which, of course, it was...kinda. Pseudo-documentary maybe? Heroism of those who defuse IEDs does not justify either of those wars we are engaged in.

I saw Avatar 3D twice. I'm 60 years old and it was great entertainment and a good afternoon escape both times, even for $8.50 (plus popcorn). Demonstrated how evil pre-emptive wars and "wars of choice" really are. Also showed ugly nature of mercenaries like Blackwater (now known as Xe). Just wait...someone will offer them or others like them enough $$$ that they'll fight for the other side. Happened in Mexico.

February 4, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  63. Aldaviva

Why does this article exist? This film is not close to #1 in tickets sold or gross adjusted for inflation. That's like selling 10,000 bottles of soda pop for $1.25 and saying it must be the best ever because soda pop used to be 5 cents and only sold 18,000 bottles. So this is a non-story. The real headline here is that over and over people have been beaten over the head with advertising and the media fawning over this movie. In return, people seem to be bending over backwards for it. Avatar may or may not be a good movie, but it is hardly the groundbreaking wonder it has been portrayed as-and that goes for gross. It has yet to break any records that actually matter in that regard. As for the nine Oscar nominations, I think that speaks very loudly as to the extreme weakness of this year's movie crop. Perhaps one of the worst Oscar years ever...

February 4, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  64. Esha

One of the best movies I've ever seen by far.

February 4, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  65. GT in SA

Way too much criticism here for such a brilliantly unique story and groundbreaking special effects. I can be fairly critical of movies myself, by c'mon people, this was entertainment at it's best. James Cameron is a genious and films for maximum audience entertainment. IT WORKED !!! It takes years for a movie of this calibre to come our way, let's appreciate it and enjoy it for that.

Well Done Mr Cameron, love your work !!!

February 4, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  66. ReggieTheVeggie

The beauty of movie-making, and sci-fi genre in specific, is allowing audience to open-mindedness, while presenting ideas otherwise mocked or deemed impossible because generally "not-seeing is not-believing". Avatar sheds positive light and lends credibility to re-incarnation, otherwise mocked as insanity for hippies or denied as backward religion. Just look up Avatar in a dictionary. We're led to speculate scientifically on greater possibility, while enjoying it. Just like using imaginary numbers by scientists, who achieved a correct calculation, and only because of it! No surprise the movie is a success. It deserves every Oscar thrown at it.

February 4, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  67. Brett

OK whiners, shut up!! EVERY plot has been done!! All movies are borrowing at least something from a previous work. Everyone here can predict how the vast majority of films will turn out. Stop looking for something to complain about and enjoy a bit of well done escapism. Given the crap that we are still doing to our planet it really doesn't seem that this message has stuck to anyone anyway.

February 4, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  68. Larrry

For the amount of bashing and brunt of jokes Canada takes from Americans, sure is funny how Canadians outshine in almost everything they do, considering New Yrok city has half the population of Canada...

February 4, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  69. nicspeed

Overall this was a great movie, it even topped my favorite "Transformers 2" Some of us talk bad about it and some talk good about it. but we had to spend some $$ to go and see it to determine if we liked it or not, in which we just added to their bottom dollar. if you didn't like it you still helped it reach #1 of all time... great movie still.... thanks,

February 4, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  70. Mike

Number 1 movie of all time? I beg to differ. Maybe the number 1 grossing movie but definately not and never the best movie of all time. After hearing the descriptions from the avatards and others I'm glad I didn't waste the money to see this ego booster.

February 4, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  71. Dylan

#1 GROSSING film today is Avatar... but remember it's GROSSING so in 30 years it could be, "Weekend at Bernies 23" when the average ticket price is $35... Grossing $ is comparing apples and oranges.. I'm so tired of this stupid hype.

#1 movie of all time is Gone with the wind.. #2 is Star Wars... Since I'm too young for Gone With the Wind, but was there for Star Wars, doesn't anybody remember that Star Wars played in the theaters FOR OVER 1 YEAR? I guarantee you won't see Avatar in the theater's past April...

February 4, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  72. Amanda

I completely understand people going to see Avatar for the cutting edge CGI and for escapist purposes.

But I am surprised that it has received this much critical attention. Does better technology really make a better film? Sure, Avatar is cool to look at – but what about the storyline, the part of a film we're supposed to be most invested in? Have you seen Dances With Wolves? Or even Disney's Pocahontas? Avatar's plot is not only unoriginal, but goes against everything film critics are supposed to believe in. I explain it more thoroughly here: http://whatanoblemindishereoerthrown.blogspot.com/

February 4, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  73. Elliott

I don't agree with the notion that it is "horrible" in the story dept. It is un-original if anything. The storyline is an award winning storyline with a couple different twists and elements by Cameron. The special effects and cinematography took it to the next level. It was an amazing experience to see it in the theatres...but not even close to my top 5 movies of all time.

February 4, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  74. Ichi

Hate to burst your bubble, but when adjusted to inflation, Avatar is only the 26th highest grossing film of all time. Gone With The Wind is still on top. Suck it, Cameron.

February 4, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  75. Thede Vilthatiam

It is my life's vow NEVER to see this SEVERELY OVERHYPED movie EVER.

February 4, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  76. Mr. Hale Kim

I did not care for the story. All things considered, this movie was one big amusement park adventure. I did not realize how long the movie was when I got to get lost deep inside the movie. The experience of this movie is like no other. I felt like I was truly part of Pandora. I am glad I got to witness such an incredible visual display. This movie is a must see, definitely watch it in 3D, watching it any other way would not do it true justice.

February 4, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  77. New Yorker

Anyone else not like Avatar? I hate political movies. The story isn't original, it's just like any other movie where the invader is persuaded to join the side being invaded (Pocahantus for instance). I also personally like mankind.

February 4, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  78. Clay

Seriously, who cares? What do numbers really mean? The movie might be OK but there are a thousand that are better. That said, keep rockin Hollywood,you ARE making quality films these days.

February 3, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  79. jtorp00c

very very very nice movie...saw it more than 10 times.. :)

February 3, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  80. John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

Everyone bashing this movie is just bored with their day and negative. One of the best movies of all time. No Doubt

February 3, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Tygershark

Congrats to Cameron, et al. I'll still never watch it.

February 3, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Troy

I am getting tired of those people who seem to think that anyone who enjoyed this movie are "morons" and "ignorant masses". Sorry, people, but not liking a movie doesn't mean you have superior taste, it just means you didn't like the movie.

February 3, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Draco

Money is money, if he did more ... respect it. Plus, when Gone with the Wind came out, if people wanted to see it more then once, they paid to go see it again and again. They did not wait six months later for a DVD to see it again. So if you can in modern times, get people to repeat watch a movie to those numbers ... you are quite the artist and business man. Not to mention, Star Wars number come from repeated releases over and over and from what I hear another release will come soon in 3D format to add to their numbers. So stop the excuses.

February 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Mike J

I can't see 3D... and that goes for about 10% of the population who also have stereoscopic processing problems. About another 10% can see the effect, but experience vision, nausea, or headaches when viewing 3D images or video. Are 3D movies visually stunning? Probably. But about 1/5 of the audience will never appreciate them.

February 3, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Charles

The movie was terrible, Ive never been so angst to leave the movie theatre. Their was no connecting with the characters.
    I didnt not care about the navi, they were not likable as a society, I truely enjoyed watching them getting annihilated in the last 30 minutes of the film.

February 3, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  86. shabaz

Saw it in 3D.

– Graphics and effects were awesome.

– The animation is the most believable and seamless I've ever seen.

– The story ? Sorry, very lame and cliche. But then again, story telling was never Cameron's strong point. eg Titanic (I rest my case). But then again this is maybe why it sells so well, the story appeals to people with simpler uncomplicated thinking, which are the majority of movie goers.

Would I watch it again ? Yes!! It is like going on a roller coaster and scuba diving at the same time!!. A thrill for the senses, but not the mind....

February 3, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Eric Lockridge

This movie was absolutely the best movie I have ever seen. I have lots of favorite movies so me to say this means allot. If you didn't like this movie then you have no imagination whatsoever.

February 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Zereh

Loved the movie ... and I was a hold-out. I didn't see it until last weekend. It was touching, sweet, engrossing and pulled me in from the first time I saw those special little seeds from Ewya falling from the sky into my lap. My eyes left happy.

I'd never make a good movie critic, I just want to be swept away from reality for as long as my ticket is good. I couldn't care less about box office receipts or gross or such nonsense. Give me a movie that makes me think, feel good, hurt, turns up my empathy buttons, makes me cry, lets me relate ... you know. =P Anyway, bravo. I loved it; it was an immersive world well worth experiencing.

February 3, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Barack

Why is it every Hollywood movie has to say GOD D*** two or three times? Just for the kids and Christians I guess!!

How predictable big bad military guy wants to kill everyone and big bad business guy wants to rape all the resources while the environmentalists save the day...give me a break, typical Hollywood lib plot!!

February 3, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Ken

Regardless of how you might feel about this movie that fact that you only have to pay around 15 bucks to see something that cost 400 million to make is quite a bargin....

February 3, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  91. SM76

This movie is a good example of taking a decent story and meshing it with good cinematography/CGI/Special FX whatever. Lately the studios have been making money off of movies with either one or the other but not both. Transformers 2- Great special effects, shitty story. Twilight-decent story, shitty actors, cinematography. I give James Cameron a lot of credit for waiting until the technology was there before making the movie instead of doing what many directors would do and make the movie anyway. It shows a lot of artistic integrity. Yes the story has been done before but it was still a good story, mixed with great actors and great effects makes a great movie. Maybe the rest of hollywood will follow suit and actually make movies we like. and stop making remakes!

February 3, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  92. hubert

i tihnk if this movie were delivered with real actors, same script, everything........it would still be a great movie. not an alltime great, but still a great movie. how can u not want to just stand up and cheer when he rides in on that humongous bird.

but the 3d graphics...flawless. executed that story perfectly and made it great....it really is a great movie all around.

February 3, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Brad

Best Adult Smurf movie I've EVER seen.. My how they've Grown!!!!

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  94. moviefan

Yes, GWTW was originally released in a different time. Times have changed, we have more entertainment options, etc. But the "all time" list includes all movies throughout history based on their grosses without accounting for inflation. To have older films on the list without accounting for inflation skews how popular they really were. Has Avatar made the same impact as GWTW or Star Wars? I think not. The music industry has also been affected by different entertainment options over the years, but the top albums are still ranked by the number of copies sold, not the gross dollar amount. It's the same for books. It should be the same for movies.

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Nick C

If this film was recreated, shot by shot, line by line, but only in live-action (of course, some of the special effects would still be CGI), retaining the same deadness in the characters' expressions and tone, it would have been universally panned as the biggest box office flop ever, especially given its overgrown price tag.

One Oscar this film is definitely NOT getting is Best Original Screenplay. I'm not trying to be facetious, I wanted to like this movie, but I've never seen a film whose dialogue was so bad when the movie on the whole is praised.

I feel like it was a Sarah Palin moment. As a pretty far right-wing conservative, I like all of Palin's policies, but I simply think it is a requirement to be smarter than the average high school girl to be vice-president. You have to be able to name a newspaper or two and actually know what the vice-president does. Likewise, a movie nominated for Best Picture must have good dialogue. Simply being pretty doesn't cut it.

February 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  96. ac

To that JPA guy or girl, who cares if you've been to film school?
    You make it sound as if you're the only one who ever went to one haha.
    I respect you're opinion but I mean come on. Don't be so stuck up.
    It just makes you seem like you think you're smarter than everyone else and not to mention jealous that his career seems to be getting a wee bit more attention than yours.

By all means though I wish you the best in you're career.

February 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Lee

Avatar...

My kingdom for one look at that blue snatch...

February 3, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Thinks

Where's "Justice for All"? Shouldn't we have some kind of fair benchmark to account for inflation and length of availability? Like "Number of tickets sold in first year of release", first 5 years, etc...?

February 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Scott

This movie was good. But in my opinion no where near the hype. Worth seeing once, but not twice. Will not buy it on dvd. Jesus, how about some solid acting and plot with all the CG these days?

February 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Juan Carlos

All of these complaints about the story neglect to consider the point that pretty much every classic story has been done; it's a matter of making of modern, relevant version. If you want to talk about Titanic, the "rich girl/poor boy/impossible love" story has been done countless times. So has the sinking of the Titanic. Yet you fuse the two together and you get a very worthwhile movie experience.

Similarly, yeah, Pocahantas and might vs. weak and and all the rest of it. Indeed, not a very original story. But as a movie on the whole? It's off the charts.

"I went to film school" and other nonsense, come on. We paid to be entertained and we certainly were with this one.

February 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  101. miguel oller

Considero un gran logro de un estupendo director que sabe utilizar sus capacidades para sacarle provecho a la tecnica actual. Los efectos especiales "sorprendentes", quien pida mas esta pidiendo "peras al olmo". Algl
    Respecto a la actuacion de los artistas,aunque sus rostros camuflados, no pueden proyectar emociones, los valuo en un 8 sobre 10. Orgulloso por tener una dominicana en tan exitosa pelicula. Felicitacio Sr Cameron. MAO

February 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  102. nick oberling

Haven't seen the movie but I have plenty of opinions about it. First of all the tickets are too expensive. Secondly, the eyes on the blue people are too far apart. That really bugs me. Does anyone out there have that problem? I know it's the biggest movie ever and that I should see it, but only my sheer obstinence will keep me from the theater

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Ally

I remember when the dark knight was approaching it and they did say that although it could look like it beat titanic, but due to ticket price raising, it would have to get close to 1 billion domestically to truly beat Titanic's revenue. I mean, credit is due for Avatar its just the truth of it.

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  104. jorge

The story is simple but I loved it. The effects were incredible. I saw the movie in 2d and 3d. After seeing the movie in 3d my vision was blurry and I had a slight headache. Did anyone else have problems like this?
    Trudy is fine!

February 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Kevin Mahoney

Everyone keeps on saying how predictable it was. A little bit I guess. I just didn't see those crazy rhino dogs jumping out of nowhere or the lady getting sucked up into the tree. Also the exile of the humans at the end was a little different. I agree it could have been much better, but I still might go see it again. (I only watch aprox. 1 movie in theaters every 2 years. I really felt like this movie was off the wall though.)

February 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  106. charles

i dont think the movie was better than star wars or raiders of the lost ark. It was a good movie but most of it was just flying around. over a period of time the movie will go away. Star wars will always be around.

February 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Tori in Calgary

The movie's appeal is that it is more a spectacle than a story. The visuals were impressive, but is that enough to justify a sequel? The plot was basically Dances with Wolves in Space!

February 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Nyarlathotep

A three-hour tech demo, and nothing more.

February 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  109. david zhou

i really love it

February 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  110. greg

Uh, if you count for inflation it is 21 all time. Lets see, what the heck else did anyone have to do when Gone with the Wind was in the theaters. TV? Computers? Video games? Shopping malls? Youth sports? Disney Land? It was a different time and a different place. Both a great movies in their own way...different but great. Avatoar was an amazing effort and enjoyable entertainment...thats why we go to movies and it pulled it off.

February 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  111. yeti37

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Public." –H.L. Menken

Truer words have never been spoken and this movie was proof of it.

I didn't want my money back, I wanted my time back–its more valuable.

February 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Clay

Avatar is "Dances with Wolves in Space" ...??? Can't we come up with anything new any more?

February 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Brad

Just because something sells, doesn't mean it is good.

Heck, look at Taylor Swift and Beyonce.

February 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Jackson

It's interesting that the only factor that seems to come into play is inflation and how a movie costs more. I think you need to look even more at the economic times that this movie was released in compared to others if you're going to start taking into account ticket prices and inflation, might as well take into account other large factors.

February 3, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Toastisgreatwhenitstoasty

James Cameron also directed Aliens! One of my favorite movies. Oh, this is about Avatar. I love blue things... maybe I should see this.

February 3, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Will S

Wasn't Star Wars a monumental gamble?

February 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  117. shellys

oh... out of the 10 movies nominated for the oscars,,, how many have we all seen? yea... I hope big blue takes it :)

February 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Joe Kenadee

I am so sick of this "adjust for inflation" B.S. placing "Gone with the Wind" ahead of every other film. It makes no sense when they adjust for inflation why don't they take into consideration that films of the past had zero competition. There were no cable companies no 100 plus channels to watch and if you didn't see the film at your local cinema guess what no blockbuster video either. I have a dozen plus family members that refuse to see any movie in the cinema they are strictly rental only households. When you add their children into the figure that's almost $500.00 in lost ticket sales. Even Titanic didn't have to compete with what's going on right now if you google download avatar movie there are hundreds of site that will allow you to acquire an illegal copy for free. I wish the stupid box office total would be pushed to the side and the media would cover the facts. Avatar is not the greatest movie of all time, but is a wonderful love story hidden within a really awesome action movie with scenes that would make Charles Foster Kane smile.

February 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  119. shellys

I loved Avatar...Good movie and to all you haters... take a long walk. i would rather a movie liked Avatar win an award for a minor plot than some movie called the hurt locker that no one even saw! Are you kidding me??? Look at the movies that have won and tell me even half of them deserve it? JC does know what the masses want and I thank him that my 10 bucks did not go to waste.

February 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  120. NotJustaKid

Honestly! How many times can we put a fancy new dress on the same pig. This movie was as original as a 4 year old cheese puff cocooned in the ass-groove of a frat-house lazy-boy! I felt like I was watching "Pocahontas" meets "Dinotopia" with laughable Iraq war innuendoes.

I know that Lucas and Cameron have voiced this theory that you have to ground fantasy in our own reality but this is totally wrong! Heaven forbid we get to see some cool outlandish thing we've never seen before!

I'm sorry but the lizard horses were ultimately just horses. The lizard panther thing was a panther. The floating seeds of life were jelly fish. If you were to present us with a turd sprinkled in glitter it would still be just a piece of shit.

February 3, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Sean

Congrats to James Cameron...he knows how to make pandering movies for the mainstream moron. The fact a movie with terrible acting, a horrendous plot, just plain rife with errors, makes this kind of money just goes to show people are easily entranced by shiny graphics even if there's a massive lack of substance.

February 3, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  122. calico

Was the plot extremely complex? No... but it didn't need to be. The movie was ENTERTAINING which is where most movies fall short on the mark. It's the first movie I've been to that is so good every person in the theater (even the kids) didn't speak a single word until it was over. It was beautiful and transported viewers to another world. I've seen it twice, and I tried to see it again last Sunday but it was sold out!?

February 3, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Rock on

3-D was truly insane

February 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Kevin

An F- movie in A+ clothes. I love that one. This flaming pooball should be thrown off a bridge. Screw you guys for being dumb enough not to care that he ripped you off. It wasn't a movie, it was an ego-romp excuse to use new toys. That's all he wanted to do, is use cutting edge special effects. He found a way to get paid for it, and even dared himself to get away with it with some hairbrained story he made up when he was 16. Don't you get it? He lowered the bar and you idiots scarfing down his chili with a smile on your faces have no idea what it is you're eating. Hey where did that pooball go?

February 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  125. frogbutt

WHY??? OH WHY??? Why do this stupid crazy math and factor employment rates, inflation, etc? Cant we just go by total number of tickets sold?! Seems easy to me?!!?!? Friggin eggheads!!!!

February 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  126. jim

"Avatar" No. 1 movie of all time does not make it the best movie of all time. Get a life, will you please, America?

February 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Michelle

Did anyone see the animated tale Ferngully? It even had the guy running through the forest, touching plants that become phosphorescent... the effects were cool and it was a cool movie- compared to the identical disney movies. But best movie ever? eh. Disagree.

February 3, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Paul

This is the BEST movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 3, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Paul Ronco

It's funny how, in real life, when Americans can't force their government to end illegal wars for resources with no regard for indigenous populations, they watch movies where the good guys actually win and justice is restored.

February 3, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Kevin

Avatar is the greatest movie of all time...behind Star Wars, that is.

February 3, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  131. qzpm

Best movie of all time shouldn't be based on gross sales due to ticket price variations from one time period to another. It also shouldn't be based on number of tickets sold because the population of earth is increasing. The best way to do this is 2 different ways

1) the number of tickets sold as a percentage of the population of earth.

OR

2) a 5 point rating system that ticket holders must participate in. It would be a mandatory system upon exit of the theater where you scan your ticket and then touch screen your rating from 1 to 5.

February 3, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Seth Hill of Topanga, California

I'm waiting for the next movie staring Marilyn Monroe. What, you say she's dead! ? Well, that doesn't matter any more. We'll just motion-capture-synthesize her!

February 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  133. laxhoops

I think we are missing the point when it comes to the plot. It suppose to be simple where the kids can follow along. Animation for the kids. 3d and cgi for the techies. The deeper meaning for the tree huggers. and many more.

You know its good or that you liked it when the movie seemed like its shorter in time.

Great Movie....

February 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Dylan

@ Jason Arledge

So what if the plot was similar to Pocahontas? Even if it was, Pocahontas was a great movie. You are not going to find a lot of people who will say that Disney makes bad movies.

However, this was not just a rip-off of Pocahontas. It has some similarities because the content deals with a similar issue of greed attempting to force a native people out of their homeworld, but the characters and the story are both very different from Pocahontas.

February 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  135. 16yearoldguy

This movie was amazing! Saw it only in 3D. For all you whiners out there, the story was great. "Every story has been told a 1000 times; it only matters how it is told". Sure, the story is the basic good vs evil, Romeo+Juliet, invader going native, etc. These themes have been told, and retold over the centuries. None of the ideas presented here were "new". But, Cameron manages to weave them into a complex, convincing, uplifting, inspiring, exciting tale. He takes all the usual plot devices, and manages to make a masterpiece. Who cares if the story is not new. It only matters how he tells it; and Cameron went above and beyoned the call of duty.
    Of course, the visuals helped, but isn't that true of any movie?

February 3, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  136. rochrist

"Isn't anyone aware that Avatar only beats the past movies beacuse its tickets are being sold in today's inflated dollars???

If we compare on an apples-to-apples basis, Gone with the Wind is No.1, and Avatar doesn't even make it into the top 30."

Actually, its #21 and moving up rapidly. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

February 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Matt

What an insult to real filmmaking.

February 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Tom

haven't seen avatar, not sure i will, because based on titanic cameron makes long, boring movies i was overpaid for buying a copy of titanic and still felt ripped off for the time wasted watching it

February 3, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  139. aaron

What it did well was give you exactly what the average person would expect from, the business man, the military man, the scientist, and the grunt. they didn't have to tell too much of the story because you flashed back to characters you had already seen. For movie fanatics it's a cop out and weak story telling... but it's cameron. You should expect these characters. The 3D was the reason to see this film, arguably, more than once.

Where this failed miserably was giving too much story on the blues, it was nice to get engulfed in their history and community but leave the extended version on blue ray and cut it for the theatre.

February 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  140. LeAndra

So bittersweet but at least it "stays in the family."

February 3, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Eric

Not true... if you go by how much was made on first release only(GWTW was re-released several times), and the number of tickets sold relative to the time it spent in the theaters and adjust for inflation.. the number one movie is
    'The Sound of Music'
    which only had one run through the theaters, but was unusual because
    it was deemed 'showable' in almost every country on earth at the time.
    So they did, and more people came to see that nutty movie on it's first release than they have to any other movie's first release before or since.
    But who wants to put it at the top of the chart? Before the family flees the Nazis, they behave pretty much in the total aspect of how Hitler envisioned the 'common volk' ideally behaving.. children in leiderhausen being led around by a nun singing dopey songs all day. Obedient, dutiful and wholesome. The only thing missing were the portraits of the Fuhrer on the living room wall as the children bade their parent's guests good night.

February 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  142. R.Williams

In terms of adjusted gross, yes Gone With The Wind is the leader. It has also been released dozens of times over the last 60+ years. Boxofficemojo.com not only lists the top films, but also notes such things as Snow White having made 64% of it's gross since 1983, 30+ years after its release. 11 of the top 20 films listed in adjusted gross have all had multiple releases, and others like Titanic ran for a number of months. So, we'll see how well Avatar does in six months, especially since the attendance figures are showing a markedly small decrease from week to week for the film.

February 3, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Paul from Vancouver

In response to the few negative posts here about this film...remember movies are each a business, ultimately measured by its gross ticket sales. By this yardstick alone (this is basically what the studios care about), the movie and the director are a resounding success.

February 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Troy

Considering there really are only a bit over 20 basic plots out there, it shouldn't be a big surprise to see one you've seen before. He didn't dress it up much, but then an overly complex plot would have warred with the exposition and setting. It was an amazing experience, a two-hour-and-forty-minute escape from real life; if you spend all your time analyzing segments of it rather than letting it wash over you, you missed the point. Star Wars was just as basic a plot, the old 'hero's journey'.

Not the very best acting, but then neither were the first 'talkies'. Notice how none of the actors got nominated for acting awards? Give actors a chance to get used to the medium, and we'll see better.

February 3, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Buffer

It's really just like all sci-fi flicks. You come up with a gimmick ~ you exploit it the best way you can ~ and you hope that it's good enuf to catch on. In this case, it did > in a big way! Special effects and technical efforts are top notch. But will this truly be the wave of the future? The big thing thats missing is 1) characters you care about in the long run 2) a well written story line. 3) a memorable premise. 4) first rate acting. Movies ARE an actors medium. Otherwise you have a travelogue. There will always be a need for small movies. Not everything can be blockbuster like this. If anything this film will make the movie studios more carefree with money. The point to think about is "what would have happened had this picture failed?" This is a gamble that paid off this time. How many "gambles" as a moviegoer am I going to have to pay $10.00 – $15.00 for??? In short. This is great, but I would prefer seeing 10 movies like "The Hangover" or "The Hurt Locker" instead of throwing my money in for 1 "Avatar".

February 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  146. KingoftheWorld

Great special effects but not so good story. Had it not been for the hyped up 3d, Cameron may have been back to waiting on tables. Tickets prices account for much of the blast past Titanic. Cameron does have a touch, even though he thought that Jesus was buried under a set of concrete steps in Jerusalem. Bet Linda Hamilton wished she had left him a little later....more doe.

February 3, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Anthonie

Brilliant brilliant brilliant! The masterpiece of beauty continues to uplift spirits and box office gross numbers! For all of you who haven't seen this movie yet, go and watch it! It will add to the greatests experiences of your life. This is the cutting edge of film making. Art is about creating beauty and exactly this is what this movie does. Avatar can be summarized with two words: Sheer Beauty!

Anthonie/Netherlands

February 3, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  148. That Guy

Amazing how fast it sold out.

February 3, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  149. John

Terrible movie...no plot...predictable...offensive...yeah..sounds like a winner.

February 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Cambob

If the story had been a complex mysterious thriller packed with plot twists and character study it would have bombed. People who complain that Avatar's story was "terrible" are pretty clueless. The story is perfect for a sci-fi adventure. If you want a weepy confusing plot mixed with betrayal and gratuitous sex scenes, go watch CNN Politics. Avatar is an escape from reality and it works both in story and in visuals!

February 3, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  151. crburt

Verz......

I think you missed the point of Avatar, it’s not suppose to represent reality. I already live in reality. Don't need to go to the movies for more. "Fantasmigoria" is why I go to the movies...it's also called escape and entertainment!
    Awesome job Mister Cameron, never been disappointed by one of your movies. Pure entertainment

February 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Harold Miller

Cameron should hire Quentin Tarantino to write the screenplay for the sequel.

February 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Stephen Falk

It was fine film with many flaws.
    The dialouge was weak at points, the story had some problems..
    but a flawed masterwork indeed.

February 3, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Roborob

No Studio will try to compete with this movie. Story was avg, Acting hard to tell with all the special effects. You will need to find a director with an idea and a love for it to get a studio behind it. Also, Cameron spent 10 years making this movie. using alot of his TITANIC money in doing so. Visually the movie is stunning, LOTR epic beauty. If only George Lucas would have given the same attention to effects which I thought were horrible and acting which was attrocious, maybe they would have been good movies. Cameron spent time on every aspect of this film and it paid off. for those who did not like this film, you need to give a reason why, you cant say I dint like it and that it was lame. WHY? Was it the special effects or to much of them, kinda had to be since it was not on earth, was it the acting, well, considering the actors were in front of a blue screen 99% of the time, I think they performed well, the story, yeah the story is not new, and at times predictable but for what it was about, it succeeded, it didnt have to many plot twists, or lose you, you knew what it was and now you got to watch a poetic movie without wondering whats gonna happen.

February 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Guest

I'm sorry I spent money to watch it in theaters. Sure, it was pretty, but the storyline was so predictable and cliche! It shouldn't be winning that many awards......

February 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Alexander Hamilton

I have seen the movie and enjoyed it. The 3-D was difficult to adapt too, but was a really nice feature. On a story comparison basis, I enjoyed Kevin Cosner's "Dances With Wolves" much more. They have an almost identical storyline.

February 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Jack

February 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  158. mike

Ferngully in 3-d

February 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Aztrazolo

You know what I was looking for in this movie? To be entertained. And I was entertained for the entirety. I didn't come expecting outer-space Shakespear. I kicked my feet up and enjoyed a 4-star popcorn movie. Complaining about the plot of this movie is like complaining about the CGI in Doubt with Meryl Streep.

February 3, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Scott

Avatar has earned it's place in history, while a small minority will debate the merits of the film, overall it's the Wizard of Oz of our time. Well done, Jim Cameron, your yellow brick road was very entertaining and immensely enjoyable.

February 3, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Robert Posey

The people saying Avatar does not have a plot, clearly do not know what the word plot means. Perhaps it was predictable, but epic films always are. The only plot hole was why the people in charge were so evil, why was the Merc Col so willing to kill the aliens, and in time even the humans. They really did not make that part believable, the rest was great, and for its type it was indeed the best of all time.
    The plots for the Star Wars movie certainly are not more believable, in fact they are far, far less believable. Titanic's plot was totally unbelievable (the love story) to me, and the end was very predictable.

The movie industry is a business, so making money has to be part of the measure of the best movie of all time.
    Movie tech is important, and this movie introduced major advancements, and did so better than I have ever seen before.
    It also let great acting come through the special effects, so it wins on that score.
    Character Development, I would say A for the heros, and a D- for the villians.

However, the other great movies had holes in them as well, so Avatar should not be disqualified on those grounds.

Not the best of all time, but one of them.

February 3, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Jon

Tickets might cost more but Titanic and Star Wars did not have to deal with rampant online pirating that is so easily available now. $1.8 billion is amazing when you consider online pirating.

February 3, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  163. verz

And so the process set in motion by Tolkien's trilogy has made it to cinema. The death of English literature is now to be followed by the death of humanistic cinema. What a pity that more and more people prefer fantasmigoria over reality.

February 3, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Avatarfan

All you Avatar haters-
    just do the SIMPLE MATH as posted in the article.

Titanic took 252 DAYS (that's about 8 plus months ) to make
    600.8 million

Avatar took 48 DAYS (1.5 months) to make 601.1 million.

Now, both movies released around the same time, mid december. So imagine Avatar ending their run sometime in August 2010 if the movie goes as long as Titanic. Where do you think it will be at that time?

My guess, easily around 1 billion (domestically) and about 3 billion internationally to total around 4 bill.
    (it is the #1 movie in most countries around the world on their all time list already)

February 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  165. AV

yes, credit where credit is due... but, it is still way down the list when attendance is considered. Thank you for noting that. Cameron probably should win best director, but not best movie. the story was quite unoriginal. However, I do like all the history. (there is a lot of original story there)

Of course the studios are gonna jump all over 3D now and force… they should be carful.. Cameron is a sure thing... 3D isn’t

February 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Tanya

Thumbs up! to MELISSA. You nailed it! I loved this movie...special effects, storyline (yes, there was one), and acting.

Mr. Cameron, I am one that can certainly say I appreciated what you accomplished. Congrats to you!

February 3, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Anon

Give Cameron credit from having his finger on the pulse of the masses...sure Avatar had schmaltz and a thin veneer of pseudo-spirituality, but in the end, that's what people wanted (or needed) rather than to have their emotions abused by 'deeper' plotlines and directorial narcissism.

February 3, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Andy H

I wonder if it will knock gone with the wind off its pedestal for highest total revenue, it was an equivalent 6 billion.... Seems like it's well on it's way!

– A

February 3, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Buddy

3-D Avatar gave me motion sickness, and I almost threw up. This may taint my point of view, but, other than the stunning visual effects, Avatar was not really a very good movie. The acting was ordinary; the plot was totally predictable– a minor variation of what we've seen many times before. It was far worse that Star Wars. It does not even belong in the same theaters (perhaps, not on the same planet) as the truly great movies, such as Gone With The Wind.

February 3, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  170. The_Mick

Superb animation & special effects and a nice story line.

February 3, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  171. MN

I have been reading your comments which are actually funny.

This marvelous event called Avatar still does not meet the standards of some, and for others it has "ruined" film making forever because it is too good.

Waa Waa.!! Get over it. I loved the movie...if you didn't, that's your problem! Chances are nothing is good enough for you!

February 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Catalectic

Hmmm. I haven't seen this movie. Cameron's movies always seem to expire in a couple years and I'm left wondering why I bothered in the first place. I am at least 10 dollars richer and 3 hours younger than *most of you! As for Chase Carlton – that was the dumbest comment ever! Congratulations! * = Anyone who bought into the hype of "Smurfs in Space!"

February 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Keith

if avatar had been released a week before iron man 2 or in the middle of summer it would not have done nearly close to what it has. Cameron knows exactly when to release a movie to cash in, december when there is nothing worth seeing. visual affects were amazing but story not. I'm no brainiac and had this figured at the beginning. how many times has this story line been done before? I do give Cameron credit for the affects and release date, maybe some of the other so called filmakers out there could learn something.

February 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  174. jray

why isn't the 'best movie of all time' actually based on number of tickets sold? with the ever increasing cost of tickets it's no wondering it reached the top grossing movie of all time. James Cameron hasn't even hit the ticket sales of his other hit, Titanic, yet Avatar has already grossed more money....and that was only 13 years ago.

February 3, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  175. natalie

I think I saw a different version of this movie because I thought it was o.k at best. Also, it's not hard to be the highest grossing film when the ticket prices are higher than normal movie ticket prices.

February 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Matty

My fave movie of all time........do I love this movie!!!!!! AND I have seen other amazing movies too (Schindler's List, Godfather 1&2....ect) But I felt the same way I did when I saw Star Wars for the first time, only it was more intense with Avatar. Avatar is why I go to the movies!

February 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  177. canada

...and he's Canadian :)

February 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  178. JPA

I went to film school – so I know just a smidge about flicks. This movie was okay. Nothing special. It needed an editor though. It dragged. But seriously? Bigger than JAWS? Bigger than STAR WARS? Bigger than Raiders of the Lost Ark? I don't even remember what happened in this very slow long and boring overblown theme park ride.

February 3, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Melissa

It makes me laugh – the people who complain because their eyes hurt (but really... it's due to him to forgetting to put 3D glasses on, i.e. his own fault) or the people who claim the movie "had no plot" or "had no story" (it did – it's a basic archetype that's been done many times before, but that's because it works). It makes me wonder if these people would have wailed about the end of movies when "talkies" started appearing, or ones in technicolor.

Is it the perfect movie? Up for debate, depending on your tastes. But what's not up for debate is that this was an inventive, new way of movie making. Whether it succeeded or failed in your own eyes, the attempt at pushing into new mediums should be applauded – and clearly by the amount of people going to see it, it's being enjoyed. For those who whine about it being the end of movies – no, it's not. There will always be amazing pieces of drama made. There will also be god-awful juvenile "comedy" movies made. There is room for all.

Rejoice in the diversity that is movie magic. Avatar has captured a new little nook of it, just as many other groundbreaking movies have over the years.

February 3, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  180. I love Sandra

It was my 1st 3D movie and I found it highly enjoyable. Congrats to Cameron and Co.

February 3, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Chele

I LOVED it! And I am not usually a SciFi fan. I saw it in 3D and it was AWESOME! Good guys to cheer for, Bad guys to boo. Loved it!

February 3, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Nithin S

Hats off & Thank you James Cameron!

The best movie! The best director!

I am feeling so high and happy for this astonishing achievement made by the movie AVATAR.....

February 3, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Chase Carlton

This was the most groundbreaking, visually striking, movie ever!!! Anyone stating differently dosen't know much about movies or about life in general. There has NEVER been anything like this in the cinema world! James Cameron is a visual prodigy! This film sets the standard for this new decade! WOW!! AWESOME!! C

February 3, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  184. J J

certainly this movie is a testitment to the power of marketing and visual effects. whne there is enough eyecandy and hype sheeple will flock to any piece of garbage out there. take for example 2012 that movie was not very good and it still maanged to make some money.

and ilke it or not it needs to be put into perspective with inflation.

February 3, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Steve

Now with the bar higher, Producers will have to compete with all the detail to keep up with avatar, and all the actors need to hurry up and better their acting like Health ledger performed in Batman which did not receive enough kudos for his work and have yet seen any new actors come close to his wonderful abilities! Actors need a drop in pay!

February 3, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Javier

I was not impressed with Avatar, it's corny... but Cameron gives people what they want, I'll give him that.

February 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Regina

Loved loved loved this movie!

February 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Jane Smith

Unless of course you count for inflation, then its only #34. Long live Gone With the Wind and the classics!

February 3, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  189. VJR

It used to be movies needed to have a plot or at least a story. Now pretty is all it takes.

February 3, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Ralpher

This Director understands what many in Hollywood do not – most people go to the movie theater to be entertained. They can laugh, cry, applaud, look in awe....but they want something fun; something to escape with. It does matter how many people enjoy a movie. Perhaps this years Precious and Hurt Locker might be "good" movies...but, who knows since absolutely no one saw either of them. I have zero interest in seeing a war movie or a movie about an abusive family. Give me grand entertainment like Titanic or Avatar and you have done something wonderful.

February 3, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Steve

How much did Cameron Pay the producers and directors of !!! Avatar: The Last Air Bender!!!! to get bumped a whole year!? I thought it too was coming out on X-mas? Will they be able to use this new technology for free to enhance what was supposed to be the scheduled this year before advertisement of the blue Avatar? I’m sure the story will be way better, Hope they share the wealth of technology at a decent cost to those who scheduled before hand!!

Congrats though!
    !!

February 3, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  192. honestjohninvermont

This is a new and novel technique for moviemaking which will only work on fantasy movies. It sure was a big gamble which has paid off but we will get used to it as I am sure the copycats are just around the corner and their big gamble may not payoff. Personally, I'd prefer human actors.

February 3, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Cindi

Saw it in 3-D.....Loved it.

February 3, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  194. John M

Jason is correct. No doubt the special effects are tremendous but with all that money, one might think a decent scriptwriter could have been hired.

February 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Scott K.

a very well designed movie... while addressing relevant social themes and subtext... this one deserves the title...

February 3, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Mark Silvers

What Star Wars did for Special Effects in 1977, Avatar has done in 2009.
    Not a great story, very predicable at times. However, it is very well done!
    The movie set's a new bench-mark in movie-making. it may take another 30 years to top it. When it does, I hope to be alive to see it.

February 3, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Calvin Broadus

The movie was horrible from a story perspective. It makes the "new" Star Wars movies look like almost acceptable entertainment for someone over 3-years old in age. However, the special effects were, at times, incredible and groundbreaking.

February 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  198. spaceman spiff

Avatarded! This movie totally BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

A 'F-' movie with 'A+' clothes on.

Way too long and gave me a huge headache. My friend said my opinion shouldn't count because I forgot to put on the glasses, but whatevs.

February 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  199. MJ

I would say James Cameron has the 'golden touch' too. He's the best of the best when it comes to directors, producers, and artistic talent in cinemas. I would say he will be the 'director' everyone is talking about a 'thousand years from now' when artists in cinema are being discussed. I say this because of what was said at the golden globes about a particular director who, by the way, I think is okay, but is no James Cameron!!!

February 3, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Eric from Richmond, VA

*claps*

This puts a smile on my face.

February 3, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  201. taylor

best movie everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

February 3, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Jason Arledge

This move stunk, the visual effects were outstanding, other than that it was Disney Pochantas with 7 Blue Alien's in 3D.

February 3, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Chad

And thus begins the death of film making.
    With computer game movies as they are evolving, even actors' days are limited.

February 3, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  204. AVATAR

King of the Worlds i say. No one can be like Cameron, he finds a way to make a movie get all Demographics

February 3, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |