February 2nd, 2010

'Boston Legal' actor Justin Mentell killed in car accident

CNN has confirmed that "Boston Legal" and "G-Force" actor Justin Mentell was killed in a car accident in rural Wisconsin on Monday. Mentell was 27 years old.

According to a news release from the Iowa County Sheriff's department, Mentell was driving his 2005 Jeep when it veered off the right shoulder and into a steep embankment, crashing into two trees.

Mentell wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was thrown from the car. He was discovered around 8:30 a.m. on Monday and was pronounced dead on the scene.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, police don't know why Mentell, of Waukegan, Illinois, was in the area. It is believed that he may have had friends in Madison. Police think the accident occurred after 3 a.m. Alcohol and drugs aren't thought to be causes, but toxicology reports won't be complete for another four to six weeks.

Mentell played Garrett Wells on "Boston Legal" from 2005 to 2006, and most recently starred in the Disney film "G-Force."

"Boston Legal" star William Shatner posted his condolences on Twitter: "I'm deeply saddened to hear about Justin Mentell. There’s no telling how far up the ladder he may have climbed. My sympathies to his family."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Sherree

My condolences to his family and friends. He was a wonderful actor and will be missed.

November 24, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Stan

I do not recognize this actor's face as ever being on Boston Legal.

November 21, 2010 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. alumette

Losing control and not wearing seat belt? how irresponsible is that?

November 9, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jack Meoff

Hope they shave him and cut his hair for the funeral.

November 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gail Snail

Condolences to Justin's family & friends for their loss. 27 is just too young to die.

Rest In Peace, Justin Mentell.

November 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Erin

There's no way he was visiting friends in Madison, WI, and alcohol wasn't involved.

November 4, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. B=Dog

Ok everyone.... sing it with me.....

WHEN... famous people die, we're all supposed to cry, we never do know why, when famous people die.... we'd see them walking by, they never would say hi, but still we're supposed to cry when famous people die... when famous people... DIE

This retard should have been wearing his seatbelt.

November 2, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eli

I wonder if Randy and Evi Quiad thinks the star whackers got him. I had to say that. RIP

November 2, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Isabelle Gonzales

Boston Legal is one of the longest running coutroom drama TV series*`-

October 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Isabella Edwards

Boston Legal is great and i specially like it because i am a law student*":

August 29, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Isaac Gonzalez

i still watch Boston Legal because for me, this is the best coutroom drama TV series';.

July 12, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Gavin Wright

boston legal is a great tv series which is based on courtroom drama","

June 29, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jane Wilson

My condolences to his family and friends. A great talent and loving son has been lost.

February 4, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Phillyboy

It's so sad when a young person succumbs to any type of premature death. 27 is way too young. I have a son that's older than that and I'd be devastated if he were to meet the same tragic end. With that said, the seatbelt has saved my life twice. I've lost friends that didn"t wear theirs and other friends were seriously injured because they also didn't wear a seatbelt. My wife was in a car accident while driving an SUV with her sister and three children. Everyone was wearing a seatbelt but her sister. Guess who was taken away in a stretcher with a head and leg injuries.

February 4, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Debra R

Re T: I did and no where in Chris's comment to he say he is an engineer nor a Physics major...

February 4, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  16. Scott

These are comments about the article. Not a place for condolences for the family. Do you really think his family would come HERE for comfort? Get real! Or get shorty. Get somebody...

February 3, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. T

DebraR He is commenting about the Engineer's comment, he is not the Engineer himself. Read the comment again and the one from Chris who is the Engineer.

February 3, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Korey

Sorry, T. As the post reads, Redneck Joe has the mentioned degrees. Your interpretation could be the redneck's intent, but was not what was written. That said, "exponential" is common hyperboly, Redneck Joe. You don't have to see actual number to realize that wearing a seatbelt greatly increases your chances of survival. Beyond actual data, common sense would tell you that wearing a seat belt will help far more often than it hurts.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

November 29, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Korey

*hyperbole. haha.

November 29, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Korey

Well dang. Not quite sure why this was linked to a recent story. I thought this happened today. NVM.

November 29, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  18. roz

Reality- you have no class! Who raised you?

February 3, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Debra R

What the heck is a person with degrees in physics and electrical engineering doing calling himself Redneck Joe? Is your wallet attached to your jeans by a chain?

What he was trying to say in redneck terms is this: If'n y'all put one of those seat belt contractions on and you have an accident wile "gittin' 'er done" your chances of not getting a trip to the "big house" with them pearly gates instead of the waffle & steak are much better...

February 3, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  20. headdivaincharge

That is very sad. Sounded like he was a talented kid probably just starting out (more or less). Thoughts go out to the family.

February 3, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Trev

well sad or not all credit for the death should go being stupid. if he had been wearing his seat belt this most likely wouldnt have happened. well another one will take his place sometime very soon. im sure we will all miss him(sarcasm)

February 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JH

WEAR YOUR SEATBELT – SEATBELTS SAVE LIVES

February 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. CMM

Why can't you people treat a death for what it is and send your condolences to the family rather than making VERY RUDE comments??? Just goes to show you how heartless and stupid some humans can be and how little they actually care about other human lives.

to the family, so sorry to hear this. 27 is so young and he was so talented. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

February 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

thank you, my thoughts exactly. some dweebs run all over the net looking to pick at peoples posts. idiots and losers that somehow cutting others down makes their misguided self esteem rise. losers.

November 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Redneck Joe

"As a Traffic Accident Reconstructionist, I can tell you that your chances of surviving a crash when wearing a seatbelt are exponentially higher than if you don't"
    As a person with degrees in physics and electrical engineering, that sentence hurt my head.
    Define "exponentially" in the context of that statement (and yes, I know what the word really means).

February 3, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  25. Robb Nunya

Zombieland Rule #3 in effect.

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  26. Reality

Good bye, so long, and farewell. Next.

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  27. Chris

As a Traffic Accident Reconstructionist, I can tell you that your chances of surviving a crash when wearing a seatbelt are exponentially higher than if you don't. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, RIP.

February 3, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  28. Phil

Why do people not wear seatbelts? it's just plain stupid ,sometimes people who are wearing their seatbelt still die but more often than not it saves lives.

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jamie

If alcohol or drugs are NOT found to be the culprit, I will eat my hat.

February 3, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  30. Steve

Celebrities are like cockroaches. When one dies another dozen are ready to take its place.

February 3, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Klafa

You're so mean! I hope you eat a piece of poopitty poo poo poop pooper dumb poop mouth! Quit being mean!

December 1, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  31. Scott

The article doesn't say that a seat belt would have saved his life. He might have been mortally injured by the impact prior to being ejected.
    If he didn't eat his veggies the night before, did that kill him too?

February 3, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  32. Debra R

So sad, another life gone over a seat belt...my sympathies to the friends and family

February 3, 2010 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  33. amy

my condolences and symphonies go out to the family, And i send love and good thoughts to the family

February 3, 2010 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  34. noahangel

another star gone.... its very sad..he was very handsome too. so what about his family. id like for news to let you know if he had kids or girl or wife left behind. not just that he was on a tv.show or movie. he reminds me of Elvis in his looks in some way.. condolensed to his family. i'm sure he was well loved and will be truly missed.

February 2, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Debra Bean

R.I.P. Justin. 27 is just too young to die. So very sad.

February 2, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  36. r

I am sad to hear about this, Justin was a very nice person. I only met him once, but enjoyed his company over dinner. He was very good with my little man, spending time with him and letting him be a kid. We will remember him in our thoughts and prayers. Very unfortunate.

February 2, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  37. kahtan

I am very sad to hear that I am from midle east and I watched boston legal

February 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Vancouver 2010

my condolences to the family

February 2, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  39. amyinoaktown

Sad news...yet another example of why it is so important to wear a seat belt. Being ejected from a car after a crash, typically never ends well. RIP.

February 2, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |