February 1st, 2010

One of your favorite Grammy moments?

testing captions
testing captions

When it came to grabbing a hold of the audience at the Grammy Awards, singer Pink was way above the other performers.

Attendees seemed stunned by the swirling, singing, water sprinkler that was Pink.

Cirque de Soleil had nothing on the singer who repeated her aerial routine from this year's MTV Video Music Awards – minus the pasties. This time around, the bad-to-the-bone singer wailed in perfect pitch after switching out her Brigette Nielsen-type hooded outfit for a harness that suspended her above the Grammy crowd.

She swooped, she swirled, she got dipped in water which she then sprayed all over everyone.

So what did you think? Did you dig Pink’s acrobatic, aerial moves? Or was there another moment from the show that you loved?

Post by:
Filed under: Grammys • Music • television

1. Dinesh Sri Lanka

PINK RULES! Now that's the kind of artist that deserves multiple awards. Unfortunately the best talent out there that night went home empty handed.

February 3, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Babz in Michigan

Sorry folks, you won't agree but Taylor had a hard time staying in tune because of Stevie! Nick's voice has deepened (it happens as we age) and she cannot sing her nice high alto/tenor notes anymore. They BOTH were off but Taylor would have been just fine alone. And Stevie would have been fine alone. Don't know who they listened to during rehearsals but it wasn't a playback of themselves. It just was not good singing.
    PINK!!! was amazing and entertaining and she did admit to lip synching some of the music. Hard to do while spinning! Overall it was just an "OK" show and I had really looked forward to it. Enjoyed Fergie and the Peas, and you rock, GaGa girl! She'll be around for a while.

February 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Candace

I have had the pleasure of seeing Taylor Swift live (not on TV but in actual concert) and she does not as you all so eloquently put it "SUCK". In fact, it was a wonderful show. Everyone has an off day. I think that she is a very talented young lady. But to each his own I suppose.

February 2, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. Karla

I also am not a Pink fan, but maybe I will be now. I thought her performance was amazing. Pink showed she is a true artist.

February 2, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. dee

How did Taylor Swift get all those awards....she can't sing!!! Antebellum was the best music heard that night!

February 2, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. uche

Beyonce...beautiful girl,boring performance. does she have to go overboard all the time? the concepts of "simple", "classy", elude the poor girl.
    Pink...brilliant!
    Swift...what can i say? horribly off key!

February 2, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. Connie

I thought Pinks performance was amazing. It was not only the best of the night but the best I have seen in a long time.

February 2, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. dONNA

PInk's performanace was amazing and probably will go down in grammy history, performance wise that is, I respect Taylor Swift's songwriting abilities, but I also think her singing is too weak, to be a lead singer, she would do better in a back-up situation, and definately in no league with Stevie Nicks, who I felt looked embarrassed having to sing the little high schooler song! I'm trying to get that disturbing image out of my head!
    Beyonce's crotch grabbing move was lame! thought she had more class!

February 2, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mike H.

Good music and lyrics don't need the accompaniment of revealing costumes, backup dancers and wild theatrics. There isn't much music today that can stand on its own. The Grammys were lifeless for the most part if observed from a strictly artistic quality point of view.

February 2, 2010 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. dougzinboston

Love all the anti-Swift comments because it shows I wasn't the only one in the nation to notice that she had no business singing next to Nicks. There is having an off night and then there was Swift's performance. If Nicks sung a few bars off key, I could brush off to age and and off night. Swift spent the entire song off key, flat, unable to hit the harmonies...the entire song. Since Swift is a member of the auto-tune and over-produced musical generation, I can't in good faith say she had an off night. I can just say that Swift was dropped next to a legendary talent who can really sing and Swift couldn't hold a candle to Nicks. Makes me thing Wynonna Judd was right in that she's getting too many accolades too early and hasn't done much to prove herself.

February 2, 2010 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Maureen Mary Fargo

I actually couldn't believe it when I watched Taylor Swift trying to out sing Stevie Nicks....she might be a song writer, but she's no singer....I thought it was just me,.... boy is she a light weight!

February 1, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. P. Tate

I cringed hearing Taylor Swift sing off key, tacky, tacky! The whole show was a game to see who could outdo the other performer in makeup and outlandish costumes. And what came over Beyonce singing with an army of storm troopers...what's the connection? And 3 1/2 hours were far too long...and Colbert? His introductory remarks were pure boring and totally unfunny. It had me on the edge of my seat to see what the next expression would be on his daughter's face.

February 1, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marcia

At the Grammys I was VERY DISAPPOINTED on the tribute for Michael Jackson. As one of his many fans I think they should of played his short film of Earth Song so we could listen to HIM sing. I think the meaning of this song was ruined by the other artists who sang for him. I wanted to listen to Michael Jackson only!!!!!!!!
    In this short film you capture his true feelings about the planet and his meaningful words. It shows trees being chopped down in the Rain Forest, also the starving people in the world, also the elephants that lay dead because someone wanted the tusks. MJ even gets down on his hands and knees and digs in the dirt with his bare hands. You can hear it in his voice and actions how much he cared about the planet, his true feelings as he sang.. It made me cry, it was so touching that he cared so much. His family may have liked it played too.

February 1, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. C.Sanford

Pink, I am way to old to even consider hearing her songs I have just started hearing about her in the last two years...but I have to hand it to her, that girl can sing and twrill at the same time, and she was beautiful...like a moving art piece. It was pretty darn cool! Thanks Pink!

February 1, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Linda

~ what a lovely, brave, enchanting performance.... always loved pink's ablility to have you feel the moment with her songs ~ this one 'grabbed' everyone! ~ great job Pink* ;)

February 1, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Zoeymsom92081

Listen to the Help For Haiti Now album. Although I admire her desire to help, Taylor Swift was way out of her league. And they cruelly put her track right after Mary J. Blige. She wasn't singing with anyone else so don't blame last night on Stevie Nicks. If you win Entertainer of the Year, Album of the Year and a multitude of other awards, you better be able to deliver the goods without the help of ProTools' pitch corrector.

February 1, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Henry Plantagenet

Come on, folks, Taylor Swift had to transpose keys on the fly, to bring her down to Stevie Nicks' range, which is practically baritone. Swift was trying to accomodate Nicks, for all the gratitude she got. If you think transposing from the seat of your pants is easy, try it some time. And then try it in front of a gigantic international audience.

February 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tom

This was supposed to be a music awards show. But it wound up being a design, costume, performance extravaganza with a little music thrown it. Come on folks. Get over the glitz, near naked women and just admit that the vocal talent apparently cannot stand on its own.

February 1, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LBW

Pink has a great voice. Why does she feel the need to dress in a body suit and swing around in the air. That's not art. I thought it looked kinda dumb. Taylor won't be around in a year or two. Beyonce is going to shake her butt for as long as her husband finances it. And lastly, Lady Gaga is not a hermaphrodite. That green number that she wore showed that. She could have used some landscaping though. If you are going to show that much, at least clean it up.

February 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TooSweet

PINK's performance was STUNNING and it caught everyone eyes because it was different and she sung so well while being spun around in circles. I mean, she was on every NOTE. Amazing. Beyonce, does the same thing to much in my opinion. Shaking her bootie and swinging her hair. I thought she was going to be the one who blows the stage up becuase she was nominated for the most awards. She should have sung "Put a Ring on it" which I am sure everyone agrees and don't throw someone else's music in just so you can prove that you can sing there song too or just trying to sound better. PINK got my vote for the best performance of the night. :)

February 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Garry

Hey Starlight- have you been watching and listening to Taylor sing?? EVERYTIME she gives a live performance IT SUCKS! She cannot sing without help from technology, and Pink was awesome last night!
    Loved the show and loved Lady Gaga!
    Alot of the MJ stuff was tiring and frankly..BORING...same with Beyonce..BORING and same ole same ole....JZ was a jerk and I can only think of one reason she would even be with him $$$$$$$$

Overall the show was pretty good and Lady Antebellum..LOVED the song!!!!

February 1, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Linda

p.s. Pink's performance was stunning. I loved it.

February 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Linda

I can't say I "loved" the moment Taylor Swift began singing with Stevie Nick - "shocked and disgusted" would more accurately describe my reaction to Swift's utter and complete lack of talent. Kudos to Stevie for managing to almost keep a straight face and continue with her performance.

February 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. elsa

Simply amazing performance by Pink. It was the best moment of the Grammy's. I am so glad I watched the whole thing. First time for that because I didn't want to miss any of it. We have so many amazing musical performers of all types of music and it's all great.

February 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. darlene d

I believe everyone knows why Taylor Swift is so popular nowadays. If it were not for the fiasco Kanye West pulled at the last music awards show involving her, she would not be so much in our faces. He made her more popular than what she really is. I don't think she can sing at all and how she got Album of the Year still surprises me!

February 1, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  26. starlight

good lord on the Taylor Swift comments. Everyone has an off day ESPECIALLY when they are constantly on tour.
    Give it a rest already...

My fave was Bon Jovi they rock LIVE and recorded !!

February 1, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Joel T.

Poor, poor Taylor...

Hey, have y'all seen the Andy Griffith episode where Barney seems to think he is a great singer in the church choir. The sad part is HE is the ONLY one who thinks so???

Anyway, in the end Andy gets this guy with this awesome voice to sing from back stage while Barney sings into a "dead mic".Funny stuff...

Taylor must have one AWESOME producer cause her live perfomances aren't worth a flip.

To steal a quote from Thelma lou from the Andy Griffith show...
    "She just can't SING – NOT A LICK!!!"

February 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. tina

Too much acrobatics, too many outlandish costumes and makeup, and certainly not enough talent. Honestly, I felt like I wasted my time. I did like the Zac Brown Band, and the tribute to Michael Jackson. Jackson was known for glitz and glamour, but at least he had talent to go along with it.

February 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jane/Seattle

They all have fans that put them here along with the industry. My favorite of all is MAXWELL. He is a true singer with substance.

February 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Patty

Taylor Swift ruined that performance, I agree. I thought it was only because I'm a baby boomer that I 'missed' the talent in the young gal.
    Hoooo Wheee, that was off key.

February 1, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Darla

Taylor Swift proved last night what I've been saying all along...TAYLOR CAN'T SING much less carry a note!! How embarrassing and WHY doesn't people who are suppose to care about her, tell her. Are the teenies so desperate to have an icon that they no longer care if they can sing, act, etc? Somebody PLEASE educate them!!!

February 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. jd611

Is it me or can anyone else go at east a year without seeing Tayor Swift. Please no more....

February 1, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Shannon

Thank God! I thought i was the only that noticed TAYLOR SWIFT CAN'T SING!

February 1, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Tom

I saw Pink before I went to sleep watching the show. What ever happened to just standing there and belting out an awesome tune? Is that too much to ask of a modern singer or band?

February 1, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  35. Julie

I thought Pink's performance was art in motion. The fact that she could still sing while spinning, and looking like she could slip out of the fabric at any moment kept me on the edge of my seat. I have to agree with Chuck about Taylor and Stevie. There was a couple times I had to cringe as Taylor's voice wailed out of tune. I enjoyed seeing Stevie, just sad it had to be in a back-up role.

February 1, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  36. Chuck E. Voorhees

My favorite Grammy moment was seeing the slightly annoyed look on Stevie Nick's face as Taylor Swift was singing with her in 3 different keys (none of which were in the song's key) and trying her best to sing over Stevie. Awesome non-verbal verdict on the decline of talent at the Grammys.

February 1, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  37. Linda

Very good performance. I loved it.

February 1, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  38. Grux King

Dave Matthews performance was amazing. His shows are always awesome and the band really captured the energy during their song.

February 1, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  39. saffta

I was so nervous that she would fall that I could barely concentrate on the singing! Didn't realize that the dress became the harness, hmmm.

February 1, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  40. Johnny J

loved it..amazing..!!!

February 1, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  41. Felipe

Loved her! At least Pink tries to be creative and surprise the crowd. And she can sing in any position! Lady GaGa is another one that's shaking things up. Cool weirdness is the trend for 2010.
    Kind of like fat cats! They rock my world!!

February 1, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  42. lanienyc

Although not a fan of Pink's, I thought she was amazing.

February 1, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |