January 31st, 2010

Lady Antebellum and Taylor Swift take home Grammys

Lady Antebellum and Taylor Swift have  snagged awards in country music categories.

Swift ran on stage during the Grammys pre-telecast to accept her award for "White Horse" in the best female country vocal performance category.

"This is my first Grammy you guys! I mean this is a Grammy!" Swift said. "I live in awe of all the great people I competed with."

Although country trio Lady Antebellum came on the scene in 2006, the group also nabbed its first Grammy tonight. Their latest single, "I Run to You," won the award for best country performance by a group or duo.

"This is the biggest honor I think for a musician," Charles Kelley explained. "To have one before the show even starts is an amazing feeling. We get to perform our latest single, and we have our record coming out on Tuesday."

The album, "Need You Now," is expected to top Billboard charts, but Kelley said they're not counting their eggs before they hatch.

The group already started celebrating in anticipation for the release of their second album, Hillary Scott said. "We didn’t think it could get any better, but it just did."

Filed under: Grammys

1. Ashley

Yes, Hillary's mom is Linda Scott. Hillary will admit she never wanted to be in the music industry just because her mom was and actually wanted to do something else. She admits she just had the music in her and didn't want it to go to waste. Her and Charles met on MySpace and got together and started writing music, and Hillary and the group also admits they did not ride anyone's coattails to get where they are, meaning her mom. Charles called his high school friend Dave and convinced him to move to Nashville with him. They all started writing music together, and realized they had something special, especially when other people were loving their stuff. They wrote 10 of 11 songs on their first album and 8 of 11 songs on their second. If I loved a song someone else wrote and though, "Man, we gotta sing that song", I would too. Good for them. They've written every one of their big hits, and Dave has also inspired the melodies and instrumentals. There's a lot of talent there. I don't see Little Big Town winning any Grammys. I highly doubt they could make it as solo singers. I'm sure they're okay.

February 2, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Debra R

They are where they are not because of their talent, but because somoen's parent is a record industry insider. So yes, they did ride someones coat tails. They wrie SOME of their own songs...but I still don't like them and they remind me of the Monkees, pre-packaged and made up of people who couldn't make it as solo singers...plus i was at one of their shows, and they don't sound like their records. Still say Little Big Town is the best country band out there right now...and will smeone PLEASE get Taylor Swift some basic singing lessons...she is a talented kid, but she needs to lear to sustain and hold a tune.

February 2, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • ohwowitstrish

Sheesh if you hate Lady A. so much then don't listen to them. They wouldn't be so popular if they surely didn't have talent. And what's with the "mommy-is-a-bigshot-help-me-get-into-the-music-industry" thingie? If people have remarkable talents, they wouldn't need to ask for help. Post a cover song on youtube, play your music in public to attract attention and blah, blah, blah.. And T. Swift's got lots of fans and she won a Grammy too. A talented singer, yes. If she needs singing lessons, do you think she would've made it this far? Why don't you try sending that message of yours straight to her on her twitter account like right now?

April 13, 2012 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ashley

Debra R
    Maybe you should do your research. Lady A does write their songs, and puts every bit of themselves into them. And they sure didn't ride anyone's coattails, like they could have, to get where they are today.

February 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Texas Dawn

Debra R – Wow. Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. I like them. "I Run To You" is an excellent song and they are a talented group.

February 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Debra R

I despise Lady A..they don't even act like a group but what they are...a record label putting three people together who could not make an album on their own..you want a REAL group? Try Little Big Town. They write their own stuff and are a true group.

February 1, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. JR Jake

How cool is that? I really enjoyed listening to their music this year. Being the first full year of dedicated CW listening, I truly appreciated ALL the tremendous talent in the field today. I just wish I had the opportunity to appreciate all the tremendous talent throughout the years, but few CW stations play 'the oldies'. That is truly sad because the young generations are missing out on the inspirations of those performers today. Congratulations to one and all, that is really neat.

January 31, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |