January 31st, 2010

General Larry Platt: No pants on the ground at the Grammys

testing captions
testing captions

"American Idol" viral sensation General Larry Platt was on hand at the Grammy Awards, roving the red carpet with a plethora of belts in hand.

After doing a rendition of his famous routine, Platt reunited with "Idol" host Ryan Seacrest. He shared a few dance moves and admitted that he was surprised to see the reaction of the nation to his sartorial message.

For those of you who still have not heeded the words of the General, beware, because the man is relentless in his pursuit of keeping pants in their proper place: off the ground.

"I came with a bunch of belts," he said, because "my next move is to get these pants up."

Filed under: American Idol 2010 • Grammys

1. sarahkennedy

Why would everyone immediately support someone who is wearing a pin of a convicted cop-killer? Wake up, people. One stupid song – one stupid performer – of course, the guy who killed the cop is "innocent". Aren't they always?

February 3, 2010 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. jon doe

about the cop killer comment, some people may say that if you're not well versed on the facts, then don't say anything at all, but i'll won't do that.

other people who supported troy davis include jimmy carter, pope benedict xvi, the majority of the US supreme court (as per their order for the district court in GA), and many other prominent figures.

there is nothing wrong with his stance on troy davis. the case was not clear cut at all.

i guess, i am going to add to what the other guy said. keep politics out of this, and if you don't, at least get the whole story before you make an idiotic statement.

February 2, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. andrew

About the cop killer comment... Why does this have to be made into a political argument? And who says anyone is idolizing him? Everyone just thinks it's in good fun and they agree with the message in his little song. Why go and make it more than that? Just relax and if it doesn't make you laugh or you disagree with his message then that's fine but don't bring all the other BS into it. There is enough of that out there as it is.

February 1, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chevy2920

I think when people say this is stupid they need to get a grip. You can't make up stuff like this. Grant it he was above the age limit but he had a point. I'm sure no one remembers the lady who looked like big bird when she auditioned but was above the age limit but because this is getting a little publicity from it ...now it's stupid. Go figure! I think it has a good message and everyone who is saying otherwise are haters!!Even those who say he stole their lyrics. Go General Platt!!!

February 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LuckyC

I'm just waiting for the General's follow up single Hat on Backward.

February 1, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. wan

the general is my grandpapa

February 1, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Amy

RE: the cop killer comment

To say the General supports a cop killer is incorrect. MANY people think the guy on death row is innocent. I don't know anything about the case but the General is supporting a guy he thinks is innocent.
    BIG difference!!!!

Time magazine published an artilce titled "Will Georgia Kill an Innocent Man?" http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1643384,00.html

February 1, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Leigh

I saw a white guy yesterday....pants hanging so low that he was walking with an exaggerated bow-legged stance to keep them off the ground. If only he knew how truly stupid he looked! Go General. Hand out them belts!!

February 1, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CEMama

Thank you Ed. I was going to post that comment as well. People, educate your kids before you allow them to just follow like sheep to slaughter. My grandson has been educated about where the fad started and I dare him to follow the crowd.

February 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kathy - why?

To Kathy – lighten up. It's funny. You're right, the man probably never should have been let on in the first place but he was and he did and it was briefly entertaining. There's lots of horrible, far more serious things happening in the world today and on any given other day; so it's important to remember to take the smiles where we can get him and this guy made us smile for a bit. Lighten up and join us, won't you?....

February 1, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ken wayne

For what every reason, The "General" is gutzy at 63, and more power to him. Hope we see more of him. and how many 60ish can move like him.

February 1, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CEMama

To Petena, how dare you insinuate that pants below the butt is a black phenomenon! I see kids from every nationality wearing this. Take your head out of your "you know what" and look around. This is a generational thing. Anyway, The General was using satire to get his message across that we're all sick and tired of looking at your boxers or your cracks! Milk it as far as you can General.

February 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jan

I wonder if the young "men" who follow this fashion realize how much they look as though they are wearing skirts. Very laughable. I can just picture them them trying to run with their pants down around their knees.

February 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marty

If a white man had sung that song. Would he be a racist??? It is so stupid how the pants are on the ground. We had hip huggers in my day but they were stupid and quickly disappeared. And you just can't run away from the police after commiting a crime with your pants on the ground.

February 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Carson McDonald

Stefanie Lane,
    That is very irresponsible to attempt to bring down Larry Platt because he wants a new trial for Troy Davis. Many many respected people also want a retrial. Those include former FBI director Sessions, Amnesty International, The Innocence Project, The Council of Europe, European Parliament, Nobel Peace Prize Winner Archbishop Tutu, Pope Benedict XVI, President Jimmy Carter, the National Lawyers Guild, a few US Congresspeople, and others. Try telling the Pope he is a bad person.

Go Larry its hilarious but a great message!
    Lookin like a fool with yo pants on the ground!

February 1, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. myopinion

Do you believe it's a coincidence that this guy's song and little act just came up now, right before the Grammy Awards????
    I believe it was planned.

February 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Texas Dawn

dom wrote "That's funny because this fad passed over 10 years ago..."

Apparently, many of today's youth didn't get the memo. Many of today's performers missed the memo, as well. I work in Houston, TX (4th largest city in the country) and I'm here to tell you, there are thousands running around with their pants on the ground. The manner in which they choose to wear their pants suggests that they are telling the world to kiss their a$$es. While this may or may not be their intent, it is the effect. It is disrespectful and nasty and I'd not let my child out the door looking like that.

The very fact that all these kids WANT to look like they've been to prison is a very sad state of affairs. And the fact that a large number of the posters defending this look can't even spell well enough to voice their opinions in a readable manner just reinforces the stereotypes that many of us have. If you want to disprove the stereotype, do something to prove it wrong, stay in school, learn to read AND write and quit disrespecting productive members of society.

February 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Brian

Take a deep breath Kathy. I think everyone is having a little fun. Hope thats ok with you. CNN told me to laugh so I must obey

February 1, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Alex

My wife and I started to watch the Grammys. Then this came on. We changed the channel.

February 1, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Teach

So many comments about the guys . . . I'm tired of seeing "butts" from females too!!
    Great message!

February 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  21. locked up

If only they knew where your pants hanging off your butt came from. It was from prison to show other inmates you are available. Time to pull up ur pants Ya Think!

February 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Suai

I am also tired of seeing guys with their pants down below their knees. However, I am more disturbed by the recent trend of females walking around in low-rise jeans with their cracks hanging out! Its disgusting! Maybe he should make a song for them too...

February 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Donna K

This was so obviously a set up by the producers of American Idol. But, who the heck cares? If he gets his 15 minutes of fame, so be it.

February 1, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sandy

O.K. I've always thought they wore their pants low to disguise a tiny boy thingie.

February 1, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. RS1981

Kathy, get over it. It is funny. I think the song is very comical, and it does have a very good message.

I see guys around all day every day with their pants sagging below their butts, and to me it's disgusting. If I want to see someone's underwear I'll open an underwear catalog.

Ed- I love where your mind's at with what sagging pants really means. Brilliant !

February 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Osta

You guys are all missing the point. Pants on the ground is a good way to let fresh air in ya butt so when you phat ,it will disapear fast. Keep the belt on and the phat follows you all day.

February 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. hello

Pants On The Ground! Pants On The Ground! Lookin' Like A Fool With Your Pants On The Ground!

February 1, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sandy

I've always thought they wore their pants so low to disguise a small penis.

February 1, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. NB

I live in Memphis, TN he needs to be OUR mayor~!

February 1, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Patrick

Does anyone know the source of this practice of wearing the pants so low? If people knew, I think that a lot of them would stop doing it. The wearing of pants so low is to advertise in prison that you are available to be someone's b_tch.

February 1, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Tom

Pull your pants up!!! Maybe you'll be able to walk normal then! Your underware is about as cool as a speedo on a fat hairy guy!!

February 1, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Kevin

Anyone out there trying to disrespect this man does not have all the facts on him. he is considered a major player in the civil rights movement in GA. he even has is own holiday recognized by the state. they consider him a great man.

anyone hating on his recent 15 mions of fame, get over it. this kind of thing always happens he will not be around much longer. although all you fools need to get your pants off the ground.

February 1, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Lindsay

You guys are cracking me up with your comments (in a good way)! Thanks for giving me a laugh:)

BTW...I fully support "Pants on the Ground". Truer words were never spoken (lookin' like a FOOL with your pants on the ground")!

February 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Tiffany

You have to admit, its catchy.

February 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Dirk Pitt

One of the performers ( I think it was one of the guys rapping with Jamie Foxx) had his pants so low that it looked so frakkin' stupid.

I mean, come on, what the heck kind of image is this supposed to portray? That you want people to see your butt crack, tha you can't afford a good belt? That you want people to think that maybe they'll fall all the way down and you get a good glimpse of your underwear.

Come on now, it seems just plain stupid and disheveled.

Rock on Larry Platt.

February 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jessica

Kathy – I think everyone realizes that this guy wasnt young enough to audition, and that Idol pushes through the crazies for better ratings.

What I dont get, is why "this just goes to show that people will believe anything the media tells you"...

what are people believing? this guys doing his own thing...and you either find it entertaining, or you dont. Not much more to this.

Personally, im ready for a "no-pants-on-the-ground" movement, Though I dont think we need to go as crazy as the 80's with super, super tight pants. There has to be something in the middle we can all agree on.

February 1, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mick

What amazes me is when you see 35-40 year old "bruthahs" with the pants on the ground. Good grief man – grow the F up!

cap to the side. gold tooth in ya mouth. lookin like a fool...

February 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ginteractive

As Andy Warhol once said: "In the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes".

February 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Tim

It's rediculous how people over react to the youth culture of today. Our founding fathers wore wigs and had wooden teeth. The American public at large has the most ignorant, closed minded point of view.. Simply becuase this trend is one that is began in urban black communities it is seen as a threath......give me a break.

February 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  40. mrbill01

Petena,
    I have been on a school campus recently which requires uniforms. they are sagging with the uniform pants on the ground.

February 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Dee Dee

Hahaha – you go General!

February 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tim

I agree with the general's message. But I can't stand the way AI has to manufacture "WIlliam Hung Moments" now. It was clearly put out there to try and start a catch phrase, and the sheep are playing along.

February 1, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Ed

I wish all these kids knew what the sagging pants really represents. For those of you who don't know its invitation to take it from behind in prison. Pull your pants up!

February 1, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Chris

Why we are still supporting a guy who was wearing a button with the picture of a convicted cop killer I still dont know. I wish the judges would have asked him about the man on his button when he was auditioning.

February 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sexylips

yes i wanted to comment on the response from HR about his "brothers" dont you know that white people are doing it too, so its not just the "brothers"

February 1, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. olmanrvr

This fad started in the prisons when men were lonely and wanted to show off their wares to likely others.So keeping them on the ground displays just what you are.Also I've never seen anybody (except famous raapers) with their pants on the ground and money in the bank.

February 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Al

14:28... 14:29... 14:30... 14:31...

February 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. chris

american idol has always been rigged. why are people getting fame for bullshit when there is true talent in the world that no one has yet to discover?

February 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Terise NY

Oh please put away the sour candy.. Have fun Pants on ground Pants on the ground :)

February 1, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Garry D

Great Job General. This is a great message for the young people to walk in reverence and dignity. Pants down is the whackest fashion statement ever. Young people go back to being decent trend setters and not whack offensive setters. Step up and be Presidential!

February 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  51. shaun

i agree with "not petty" why trouble yourself with the way other people dress and let it annoy you. maybe you should worry about your own problems and correct those before you point out other peoples impurities.

February 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  52. The Chief

Stephanie Lane,

The man is supporting a new trial for someone that MAY have been wrongly convicted. I would venture to say that you have never experienced that in your world, but many Blacks in America, especially the south have.

I support the song, but don't know much about the cause in the Troy Davis case. I do however support a new trial if 7 of 9 have recanted thier story.

If he is guilty. He should get his due. In the America that I love and serve, 7 of 9 is a reasonable doubt.

February 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Bill Smith

RE: Troy Davis comment

You should read the entire 39 page report on this man's conviction and THEN decide for yourself whether there was an injustice commited by the criminal justice system. There is sufficient evidence to profer reasonable doubt in this man's case yet a jury not only convicted but sentenced him to death. Nearly every witness has since recanted their testimony or has been found to be inconsistent with pointing to Troy Davis as the killer. The real injustice here is that a man guilty of killing a police officer and possibly others is still walking the streets.

February 1, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Nice

Well gee folks, the negative ones here are the ones wearing their “pants on the ground” and these “boys” don’t even have the mental capabilities to know what the word “idiot” means so you can you expect anything else?

February 1, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Lyne

I agree pull those briches up...

February 1, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Bill

Knowing that the "fad" was created by prison offenders in California, I agree that this should finally be spoken out against. If this is what it takes so be it
    Do you really want your kids to keep acting the way inmates do? If so take them to a prison once and see if they really think there cool acting like a bunch of punks.
    So for those of you who are complaining.... pull up your pants already you are no longer in lock down.

February 1, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  57. dshiling351

this guy is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 1, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Leon

Thanks Guys! We haven't heard a peep from Stefanie Lane!!!!

No disrepect Kendra, Stefanie try to swing the forum in that directions and my fellow bloggers where trying let here know to get ALL the facts.

If not about Stefanine. Lets Sing:

Pants on the ground
    Pants on the ground
    Lookin’ like a fool with your pants on the ground

With the gold in your mouth
    Hat turned sideways
    Pants hit the ground
    Call yourself a cool cat
    Lookin’ like a fool
    Walkin’ downtown with your pants on the ground

Get it up, hey!
    Get your pants off the ground
    Lookin’ like a fool
    Walkin’ talkin’ with your pants on the ground.

Get it up, hey!
    Get your pants off the ground
    Lookin’ like a fool with your pants on the ground

February 1, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sami

stupid...stupid. there is nothing funny on it...just simon effect

February 1, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Cathy

We as black people should embrace the 'message' and stop criticizing the 'messenger'. The young people who are disrepecting themselves by showing their underwear...are the clowns!

February 1, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  61. WhatTheHuh

@kathy- first, this IS the real world, and second, he was probably allowed in because he was novel AND old. every year they have someone 'audition' who is waaaay past the age cut-off, its just the way they do things. i seriously doubt the media is trying to *fool* anyone with this. it is what it is--its too bad you cant find anything at all charming about this fellow. his goal is to just make a few people smile. and get kids to pull their pants up. god bless him! :)

February 1, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  62. tom

this is obviously just another commercial marketing gimmick from the belt and suspender lobby

February 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Steve

The song and the General is fun. If you do not like it or him fine. Then do not listen. Very simple. However for those of us who think the song and the General is harmless fun. It is OK to smile and laugh, right? Sorry we do not have ask permission to enjoy life.

February 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Randy

When I saw Lil' Wayne with his pants on the ground, I thought, "Where is the general?" BTW, I bet more white kids' pants are sagging than anybody else. You look like a fool!

February 1, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  65. quanellxisadoofus

Good for you, General. Show these morons how stupid they look with their pants hanging down.

February 1, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  66. dom

"As a young mom with three young boys, can I just say I am thrilled with the General's message...and support him in any way I can. (I would be happy to help hand out belts.) With a little luck, this fad may pass before my boys get old enough to try to emulate it. Please God!"

That's funny because this fad passed over 10 years ago...

February 1, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  67. Grim-Loq

He is a clown, like so many of our people, putting on a show for the masses...He along with many others continue to set us back with their constant buffoonery...We as a people are capable of so much more than entertaining.

February 1, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  68. RLP

u people are hilarious- this is a trend just as miniskirts, daisy dukes, thongs- how come when women show their behinds its okay??i dont think the general is talking about the "style" that Weezy rocks- its directed at the young men who wear their pants waist on their thighs ! leave these boyz along! p.s Weezy you have a great behind keep rockin your style!!.....

February 1, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  69. sjlsjl

Sir, could you write a ditty containing the lyrics, "No grab of the crotch, no grab of the crotch......" , please?

February 1, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  70. LYNN

He has a point!!! their underwear jerked up to their waist and the jeans down to their knees.. This will be running our country someday and we can only hope belts work for them by then!!! face it – he is right....
    ...

February 1, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  71. Tom Huett

Leave the old fart alone. He is getting his 15 minutes like anyone would. He is NOT supporting a cop killer. He is an activist for human rights. I really get annoyed by stupid people who just want to say or write stupid negative comments so they sound smart. Obviously, Stephanie got caught looking like a fool with her brain on the gorund.

February 1, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  72. The Falcon

Kathy said... February 1st, 2010 10:21 am ET

this is SO stupid. In the real world, that guy would have never been allowed into the Idol auditions, because the age limit is 30. So lets STOP buying into the media's bull.
    I can't believe that people think this is funny. It just goes to show you....people will believe anything you tell them............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uh, Kathy, suggesting a connection between the "real world" and "Idol auditions" indicates that you, my dear, have fully, unequivically, blind-faithedly, bought hook line and sinker into the "media's bull."

February 1, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  73. Asia M.

hey ya

February 1, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  74. Lisa Memphis

I totally agree with the message! I am sick AND tired of seeing the young men today with their pants hanging off showing their nasty A**.

Please, please pull those pants up!

I am most proud that my son (17 yo) does not wear his clothes like that. He is typically wears a polo type shirt, pants WITH a belt and he does like his "Forces). He is honor roll student and volunteers in local Bridges program. He is also a "power seller" on Ebay.

Every young man that wears those pants down do your mama and grandmama a favor and pull those pants :) PLEASE!

February 1, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  75. Kendra

Thanks, E, Andrew D, Michael and Angela B, for addressing Stefanie Lane's comments. This is so not the forum for Troy Davis plight. I applaud you all for giving an accurate account of the circumstantial evidence that is questionable at the least, for any one that has any ounce of intelligence. Stefanie, don't blindly accept everything you read/hear. Do the research. As for the General, keep on singing that anthem, those who choose to dress in that manner,need to know it is really tasteless.

February 1, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  76. Henry

This man is genius for taking an innovative approach to curing a societal blight. I am thankful for all he is doing and I believe his message is both timely and prudent.

February 1, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  77. Natty Chris

Hey Jimmy Polk! God wants us naked!

February 1, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  78. Peptide

@ HR the "General" is talking to ALL young guys who have adopted this "style statement" not just the "brothers."

February 1, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  79. Chaiah

Kathy said... February 1st, 2010 10:21 am ET

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, Kathy, it doesn't matter how/for what reason it was done. It's still good stuff. Get over yourself.

February 1, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  80. How about that...

Perhaps American Idol should change its venue, and actually remove the age limit, this show has long burned out and gone the way of 8 Track, let it go people.
    I only give it 5 stars for Larry Platt. This senior gentleman has given the show, a much needed but short lived boost of energy. He has already surpassed many of the "Idol" winners fame, congratulations Mr. Pratt.
    Thanks for the fun.

February 1, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  81. Chaiah

I salute the General!

February 1, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  82. Tman

TO: Stefanie Lane who said:
    "He supports a cop killer, Troy David, convicted of murdering Ofc. Mark MacPhail, an off-duty Savannah GA. Police Officer, back in '89, and is currently on death row in that State. All of those who don't know and jumped on his bandwagon should be a little more careful who you idolize."

Since you say we should be a little more careful who we Idolize I did some research on what you posted and it seems there are alot of people saying this guy may be inocent(Archbishop Tutu, Pope Benedict). So I guess your message applies to anyone who has actually tried to get this guy a fair trial. By the way your "Looking like a FOOL with your pants on the ground"

February 1, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  83. Shannon

Hey Stephanie, why don't you do a little research on the case before you go crying about him supporting something you seem to know nothing about.

February 1, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  84. Laith Bader

Dude, this guy is awesome! Im Stoked for pants to be off the ground!

February 1, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  85. Lookin' like a fool...

...with your pants on the ground! I drive the streets of Atlanta and my honest studied assessment is this "style" is all about "staying in touch" with one's self. Hey, if you can't keep your hands off it then this look suits you. It actually looks like you're holding your pants up instead of what you're really doing....you bunch of perverts.

February 1, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  86. Benny

gary February 1st, 2010 10:44 am ET

I cannot believe that people still believe that reality shows are actually "live and unscripted". They are as real as the WWF...

The World Wildlife Fund is very real.....

February 1, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  87. OJ

Hey HR its not just his "brothers" as u put it. that wear pants sagging or on the ground. ALL kinds of youth do it ok. look out of your window long enough and YES even in your neigborhood you will see pants on the ground LOL

February 1, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  88. Flor

Hey that's entertainment, look how much it catches on. Keep rapping General, somehing with a message.

February 1, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  89. Sher

Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground..

February 1, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  90. ntm

General is a thief. He stole that song from someone else, changed a few words and called it his.

February 1, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  91. Not Petty

I'm glad I do not trouble myself with the way other people choose to dress.

February 1, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  92. Chief Obob

@ Stephanie Lane

General Larry Platt is a recognized Civil Rights leader. The case you are talking about involves a case where there are still many questions regarding the conviction and other suspects that were never charged. What Mr Platt supports is the rights of the accused (and convicted) to a fair trial. Something that appears to be in question in this case.

February 1, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  93. Jack

As a retired teacher I can attest to the fact that the clothing students wear usually mirrors their behavior. Individuals who dress with their underwear hanging out, usually perform at low levels, have poor self-esteem, carry a chip on their shoulders and are just plain undesirable trouble makers. They really shoot themselves in the foot.

February 1, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  94. SCS

I agree completely with his message, I have 2 little boys and I will do what it take so they never wear there pants like that. As for all those people who say he is stupid and ridiculous....in a time when the news is nothing good and there is so much suffering and war going on..I don't know about you but I use TV as a relief from that for a little while..let the old man alone and just sit back and laugh once.

February 1, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  95. Angela B

Stephanie, come on, it is not that we idolize this man. He is an activist, for one and is trying to help get pants off the ground. Someone should have thought of this long ago. Personally, I am tired of young people running around looking like idiots.

February 1, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  96. Michael G

Stefanie Lane, you need to get your facts straight. First off, the person you are speaking of is Troy DAVIS, not Troy David. Second, every shred of information available suggests that Troy Davis was not the shooter in the case of Officer MacPhail's murder... it was very likely Redd Coles, who interestingly enough, is the person who was carrying the .38 that shot MacPhail AND another person (Michael Cooper) earlier that same evening at a pool party. Further, Troy Davis was first accused by none other than Redd Coles and his attorney. If anyone looks like a fool with their pants on the ground, I would have to say it's you! So, get your facts straight and get a belt!

February 1, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  97. D

Stefanie Lane, were you that upset with the police officer in oakland shot the kid in the back and killed him while he was handcuffed on the ground? Or when the two police officers in new york city shoved a broomstick up a mans butt?

February 1, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  98. J

Have to say I agree with him! Get those belts out, General!

February 1, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  99. Antwon

having been one that wore and dressed in the manner that the General is singing about, I'm now a professional 33yr old BLACK man that decided that dressing and conducting myself in such a thuggish manner wasnt going to get me anywhere in America. At the age of 19 I joined the military, completed my degree and now as a Civil Service employee it sickens me to still see the fad continuing. I blame the WOMEN for accepting the men and boys who dress like this. If they would stop dating these guys it would change. By wearing your pants down below your butt and you are walking in a group of guys not to mention your skinny jeans, I may be wrong but it appears that you are allowing the "other guys" to look at your butt. I could be wrong but, why would you want another man to look at your underwear unless you are......"I'm just saying."

February 1, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  100. J

I'm in Atlanta and I have seen the General around before his Idol appearance. I have noticed less pants on the ground as of late. Thanks!

February 1, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  101. solomon

Well Lil Wayne....had his underwear showing....sometimes his pants were soo low it made me gug!!!! And his gold teeth were nighmarish.

He is a shame to the black and a terrible model.

February 1, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  102. TexasVet

(HR) Now we just need someone to stop you from acting like one.

February 1, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  103. Linda

He's saying something that needs to be said, "take your pants off of the ground."

February 1, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  104. ComputerKing

You know, law enforcement officials like the low-hanging pants fad. It makes it easier to catch hoodlums who can only waddle like penguins wen they try to run away.

February 1, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  105. Jenean

Kathryn, you are the one who is stupid. Do your research. He is well known for his civil rights contributions. It wasnt just about his song and an American Idol audition. And for the Crack head that says he is supporting a cop killer. Do your research too. Obviously they feel he was railroaded and is innocent. He isnt just supporting him cause he is black.

February 1, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  106. Ask any Cop

I have heard some police say what the real meaning of that "baggy pants with the drawers showing look" means. In the prison system...to the inmates, it means someone is um........"that way" and "available". Go ahead knuckleheads.......keep the saggin look and you will have NO problem fitting into the prison system.........your rump might hurt later though!

February 1, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  107. Shawn

Good to see something like this in the news, makes me smile. Hopefully in Little Wayne can make a hit about doing every women in the world and have it to be popular "okay" the General can get his song flowing, amazing how we can sing nonsense and no sing song that have some true meaning. This men really need to pull their pants up, it's a crazy fade and most look real stupid. Just to think this kids are the future!!

Wow

February 1, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  108. Dave

Why are there so many grouchy people in the world? This man looks at something that he thinks is wrong in society and comments about it in a song. You either like it or you don't. What's all this talk about association with a cop killer and his 15 minutes of fame? Someone even went to the extent of being racist. Some things in life are just what they seem-let's not spoil the fun.

February 1, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  109. steve

someone needs to cap the general,pants on the ground stupid,him invited to the grammy's is weak,another william huang,and john goslynn.

February 1, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  110. JD frm the hood

Sagging pants is because corrections officers take belts away from prisoners so they cannot use their belt to hang themselves. So, by wearing your "pants on the ground" I guess you're suicidal!

February 1, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  111. John

I like to play Halo

February 1, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  112. Laura

If parents would use belts for their second intended use then the first intended use would happen without question.

For those too slow to catch that... Second intended use=spankings, First intended use=keeping pants off the ground!

February 1, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  113. 2good

Thank you General – I am tired of seeing these IDIOTS, including grown arse men walking around with their pants falling off, and their disgusting looking plaid and floral boxers showing.

Some of them can hardly walk.

February 1, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  114. Cody

i love this guy he is amazing

February 1, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  115. Rich @ DaCap

it's great to see that someone can make positive things happen with a little imagination and some motivation. Go General go! Also, it saddens me to see that there are those who are clearly hating on the General for this latest sensation. Look, don't hate, appreciate and while you're at it please get those pants up.

February 1, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  116. Mike

During the Bush years, it was "No Child Left Behind."
    Now it's "No Child's Behind."

February 1, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  117. Lowell

It appears someone on this board is blind to what Reality is because he was allowed on the show, nothing phoney with that, did they use it to market the show? Yes and that's reality also. And just an FYI , some may think it's funny, others like the message he trying to send, that the reality.

February 1, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  118. Andrew

Stefanie: General Larry Platt doesn't "support a cop killer". He supports someone he believes was wrongly convicted of killing a police officer, along with President Jimmy Carter, Pope Benedict XVI, Nobel laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Presidential candidate Bob Barr, and former FBI Director and judge William S. Sessions. None of these folks intend to support a cop killer.

February 1, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  119. Rich

Typical Atlanta.

February 1, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  120. LT

As to the comment on the General "supporting a cop-killer", many people believe in Troy Davis' innocence. The General has a good message and if the media wants to give him a moment in the spotlight, why not? There are plenty of people with no message or morals of their own who get the media's attention. If the General can reach an audience that needs to be made aware of how ridiculous they look with their "pants on the ground", then good for him.

February 1, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  121. Todd G

Not a lot of people know this, but Larry Platt is well-known for his work during the 1960's civil rights movement. It's interesting that, given all the things he's accomplished in life, this is why he's getting his 15 minutes of fame...

February 1, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  122. john in the Burgh

Enlist me in Gen. Larry's Army!

February 1, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  123. E

For your information Stefanie Lane: Troy Anthony Davis has always maintained his innocence, claiming he was wrongfully convicted of the crime as a result of false identification. Seven of the nine prosecution eyewitnesses who had linked Davis to the killing recanted or contradicted their original trial testimony, claiming police coercion and questionable interrogation tactics

February 1, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  124. Gwen A.

This is truly the land of Opportunity. To all of you negative folks out there
    I say Booo. You just wish you had thought of it first. I say right on!

Have a Great day General It's a Great day to have.

February 1, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  125. Jason

Yeah...Where was he for Lil Wayne, Eminem & Drake??? If the FCC sarted blurring them out on TV when their asses were hanging out, maybe they will stop wearing pants on da ground!!! You know, they just want to be seen like that!!! Idiots!!!

February 1, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  126. Johnsole

Just think how easy daily life would be for these guys if they had use of two hands instead of dedicating one exclusively for holding up pants.

February 1, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  127. Windy

Problem he stole the idea for this from the Green Brothers of Detroit...take a listen to theirs and see if you don't agree.

February 1, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  128. akl

Actually, the age cut-off for AI, per the show itself, is 28. Who cares – have a little fun. The man has a storied and heroic past – Atlanta named a day after him. Celebrate the positive message he's trying to bring to the troubled urban youth of today.

February 1, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  129. Jimmy Polk

my generation was reared to look neat where ever you went and if we ever were like some in the public we would have gotten i but tore up with a belt......
    we were not told twice either.....
    belts are made to keep your pants up and not to look at........
    we all love out brother and sister and need to remember 1 thing...it was God that created us and we need to alway remember would God want us to look like that......
    Keep your pants up with a belt and you will not be so tired at the end of the day.......

God Bless The United States of America

February 1, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  130. petena

Yeah, even the artist that was on stage with his pants below his butt looked ridiculous. However, if he wanted to help the image of African Americans, he would put a belt on and be a role model. Instead he continues to promote this stupid look. All the public schools should put uniforms in place and end this craziness.

February 1, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  131. Mike

Where were all of you critics when William Hung ("She Bangs" ) had his 15 minutes of fame? I guess you thought he had real talent !

February 1, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  132. Caleb H.

Oh Stefanie, can't you let us have our fun? The man doesn't want people's pants on the ground; Do we have to bring in his entire history? I don't idolize him, I'm just sick of seeing pants on the ground and so is everyone else! Lighten up :P

February 1, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  133. AJ

I'll put it like this...back in the 80s we didn't get caught when being chased or get stuck on a fence trying to hop it....this is why so many youths are getting sent to jail...help the prison system for real criminals and pull them pants up!

February 1, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  134. Clyde Bradford

General I will be sure to keep my pants up! Bradford (keep singing that song)

February 1, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  135. J.D.

I think this is a great stance on society. Just a wonderful message from the General. I am glad that it is an African American that is doing the song. Maybe the message will be heard and go further then if it was done by a Caucasian. I for one am tired of seeing people with there pants 5 sizes too big and hanging around there thighs. I think it is nasty and makes them look like a bad broke clown. hahahaha.

February 1, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  136. Dresden

The General at the Grammys ? What the...

February 1, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  137. BigE

Lil Wayne had a belt on and his pants were still on the ground while performing last night. Time to take it to the next level, Larry.

February 1, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  138. gary

February 1, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  139. rob

he should have gotten on stage with weezy to give him a belt lol

February 1, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  140. Mike C

...looking like a fool with your pants on the ground!

February 1, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  141. Eddie B.

This country really is the land of opportunity for this man to be now at the Grammy's for singing this crazy song. How hilarious can you be. Go for it General!!!

February 1, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  142. Roy T

I hope that the young generation is taking notes of these by the General , I like it

February 1, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  143. Bubba P

Finally somebody is making the right choice to get people to pull up their pants and stop looking like hoodlums

February 1, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  144. Ron G.

Great message, believe it or not. I'm sick of seeing these idiots saggin!

February 1, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  145. Shawn B

I say he should come out with his own line of belts!!!

February 1, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  146. Brian

Go General Go! At least there is someone out there who is concerned about the plight of our nation's youth....

February 1, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  147. Charles Robinson

General, keep rapping until they get those pants up.

February 1, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  148. d loc

general larry is another American Idol fool

February 1, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  149. KLS

Hopefully his song will actually mean something to the 'fools' that can't seem to wear their pants correctly. They all think it looks COOL but, it is seriously stupid. We refuse service to these individuals.

February 1, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  150. melpa

Finally, someone is trying to end this pants on the ground look that has swept across our nation for a decade. Pull them up boys, no one wants to see your underwear!

February 1, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  151. Matt

I guess he never caught up with LIl Wayne. LOL

February 1, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  152. Stefanie Lane

February 1, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  153. Caral

February 1, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  154. lou

young men and so older guys, need to bring those pants up. I don't want to look at your butt.

February 1, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  155. Kathy

February 1, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  156. Jason Lewis

General you are at 14:57 partner, hope you enjoyed it.

February 1, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  157. HR

Glad to see that the general wants his "brothers " to act like human beings instead of bums!

February 1, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  158. lagbaaja

"looking like a fool with your pants on the ground"

February 1, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  159. Debra R

That's OK General, there wasn't a whole lot of taste, class or manners either...

February 1, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  160. Bob Ray

Great to see someone taking his ten minutes of fame and doing everything he can to extended it just a bit longer.

Keep rockin', General …

January 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Drivin todisco

Pants on the ground pants on the ground

January 31, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |