January 28th, 2010

No Grammy performance for Rihanna

Fans looking forward to a performance by Rihanna at the Grammys on Sunday will be disappointed. The singer confirmed that she will not be performing on the show during an interview on Carson Daly's radio program.

Daly asked who he could call to get her into the lineup, and Rihanna responded that she wasn't so sure there was anyone who would take the request.

"Um, we messed up the show pretty bad last year, they’re probably a little mad at me right now," she told Daly.

Rihanna had to cancel her performance at the 51st Grammys after she and Chris Brown were involved in a headline-dominating domestic violence dispute that kept both of them from attending the awards show.

Rihanna is up for two Grammy awards - best rap/sung collaboration as well as best rap song - for "Run This Town," and she assured Daly that she won't be missing the ceremony altogether.

Oh, and about that baseball connection: Rihanna didn't deny or confirm that she's had a relationship with ballplayer Matt Kemp, but for the record, she's not a Dodgers fan. In fact, she added, she doesn't even know anything about baseball. Daly speculated that the singer now knows plenty about how to run through first, second and third bases.

Filed under: Music • Rihanna

1. Candance

I think she did it to her self..you got to be down right crazy to let someone damn near beat you to a pulp and wonna get back with them. CRACK IS WHACK

January 29, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Diva

I feel that she is over rated & her vocals on "Run This Town" are so "monotone" & flat that they make my flesh crawl. I prefer REAL singers!

January 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RJ

I agree that she is talentless, highly over rated and can't complete a sentence let alone sing. I do agree that she is a performer, just like Beyonce who I dont think can sing either. Looking forward to seeing Lady Gaga. I hope she takes it all. So much more talented then a large majority of the female talent out there today. She deserves it!

January 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Seriously???

I've never seen so many haters in my life!!

January 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tamika

I agree with the majority of opinions that she is by far not a musician though she is marketed very well. I don't want to take anything from her either as she is very well liked by certain audiences however to label her a singer/musician is a stretch! Unfortunately, the real singers (Christette Michelle, Tamia, Jill Scott, Indie Arie, Jennifer Hudson to name a few) aren't given a second look because they aren't half dressed and can actually SING! What happened to to days where a singer would do just that.. SING! Gone are the days of being on stage with a live band and actually be able to carry a note and look classy at the same time. With regards to the "incident" Rhianna and Chris Brown were both guilty as domestic violence is not one way and should not be tolerated in either case! Keep you hands to yourself and walk away....goes for both of them!!!

January 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. trish

I dont deny that Chris Brown beat her, but she shouldn't have provoked him either! I'm not saying she deserved it, but we as women need to stop doing things and then getting mad at the outcome. Rihanna has gone to a very dark place in her life, which tells me she hasn't surrounded herself with the right people. I pray for her that she comes out of the dark place she is in. She's not ready to perform for anything or anyone.

January 29, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jeniey

I'd rather see Chris Brown perform.

January 29, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. shay

can't stand her!!!!

January 29, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. albert

i agree, she's not much on the talented voice (real singer) front. she can entertain and she's riding the popularity/groupie thing, i do love her song "please don't stop the music" and love to dance to it but she's not a great vocalist by any means. i just wish whitney hadn't lost her voice the way she has, it's too sad, she really screwed it up with all the drugs and smoking and not sure if she'll ever get it back. she sounded horrible in central park nyc, really bad compared to her formerly amazing voice but who knows.

January 29, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. The Dude

I hope she keeps the getting beaten tradition alive this year.

January 29, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. mikki

Thank goodness this girl is NOT performing. I can't understand how any of that crap she sings could get nominated!!! What about Laura Izabor? Chrisette Michelle. Those young ladies have some real skills. They can SING. Rihanna just sounds weird. But - Jay-Z has decided he wants her to make it and the industry look like they are just gonna do what he wants. Its really sad. And Chris Brown has one of the best young male voices out there but Jay-Z has had him blackballed. That man is very powerful. I don't think a 19 year old should be ruined for one mistake. Where is the forgiveness? Well, at least I can watch the grammys without having to listen to that strange, untalented Rihanna. Thank God.

January 29, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. mikki

Thank goodness this girl is not performing. I don't see how ANYTHING

January 29, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Steve anton

Who cares? I never thought she had any talent anyway, plus she sure can't pick a man. Taylor Swift is far superior and Lady Gaga has passed her up. She's nothing but a young snot as far as I'm concerned.

January 29, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. teezing

I really don't see the fascination with Rhianna. Her music sucks and I don't think she is all that good looking. She is one of those artist that the music companies have pushed down our throats and now.....well...

January 28, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. GG

I agree! Rihanna's got some great music but why can't we have someone like Krys Justice perform This Life, or Cut To The Chase that's just charted #2 with club and mixshow DJs right now??? Not a pop machine, major label manufactured artist, but a new artist who sings great, and writes, produces and performs all his own material. Oh, and he can dance and has the pop machine good looks anyway! Is it only major label artists who get to perform from a deal the big labels have? Or with the uprise of true music lovers not wanting to be spoon fed anymore when will we get to see a successful online artist perform?

January 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. HF

It ain't no thang.

January 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. deadbrokediva

This girl is so over-rated and marginally talented. If I want to hear someone sing in a monotone, I'll listen to Peter Boyle in 'Young Frankenstein'.

January 28, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. T

I am also glad she is not performing. I think they need to get whitney houston on

January 28, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. TK

I think they should bring in the new up and coming artist that is definitely making a name for herself. Her name is Bridget Kelly aka Bee Kay. She has been Alicia's Keys stand in lately singing 'Empire State of Mind' with Jay Z . She is fantastic! She sang at the Garden and at the Yankees Victory Parade. I think she has signed with Roc Nation. Pass the word!

January 28, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  20. George

I don't really like her and don't really care one way or the other

January 28, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. RENE C

TALENTLESS!! Ugh! I agree as well, I hate her voice and everything, she can't sing or dance so she has to wear revealing clothing and other crap to take attention off the other stuff!

January 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. getoverit

I soooooo totally agree with everyone who says she cannot sing. She is pretty but past that she has absolutely no talent. If you put her on stage with no props, no costume and no one else, she would totally flop.

January 28, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  23. RENE C

The facts that follow the altercation last year involved Rihanna and Chris Brown. By facts stated it was RIHANNA that started the fight. Not only did she verbally attack CB first, she also smashed his penis with her high heels and scratched and bit him....not saying that he was in the right to retaliate but they are BOTH to blame. Domestic violence is not one-sided and it is not always the man who is the instigator. They have a history of violence from her slapping and hitting him in the past!

January 28, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Renee

I'm glad she's not performing and I'm clueless as to how ANY song off of her album could be nominated for a Grammy, she cannot sing. And for the record, I felt this way before the incident last year. No one deserves that.

January 28, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Marie

I've seen her perform twice; not sure what the big buzz is. She was contrived and over-acting, just just performing from the heart, and the vocals were so-so. I know millions of others love her...but I'll survive the show without her.

January 28, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Steele

She know that she messed up. She started the fight and Chris finished it. I don't agree with what happened, but I bet if she did not strike Chris in the beginning, he would not have hit her back.

January 28, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  27. sarah

Thank god she is not performing!
    More time to give someone with real talent
    or maybe a female singer with a voice!
    jeeeeeeeezzzze the grammy is becoming more than ever a farce!

January 28, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Khalisa

@Chris – couldn't have said it better myself. Let real musicians perform.

January 28, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. busiB,DC

@Chris, that's a good one. really funny. i'm not trying to hate on her, but she's no musician. she's a performer. i think today ppl are getting the term musician and performers twisted. Lady Gaga is a musician and she can perform, Justin Timberlake, Eminem, Alicia Keys and the list goes on. but some artists out there today like Rihanna, as soon as they can shake what their mamas gave them, they are all of a sudden musicians. oh NO!!!! it's just a total insult to us real music lovers. i'll be honest and say their music beats are catchy, but talent no!!!!! as much as Chris Brown has taken a beating ever since that infamous night, he is a great example of a musician and he can sing. so Rihanna can just go jump somewhere.

January 28, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. DMB

She's probably bowing out because the Grammys are requiring live performances and not permitting lip syncing, overdubs, auto-tunning as well as the other tricks used on her heavily over-produced albums.

January 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Garry

Well to be honest, in the last 2 years she has gone from pop diva to pop trash. I like some of her music, but does she really have to put the trashy ( to be nice) edge onto her performnces now?
    I just don't understand but then again i don't have her money or her talent and I guess sexy trashy sells now.

January 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  32. d

THANK GOD! She is SO overrated & can't carry a tune in a bucket! Now, if they will only NOT let Taylor Swift perform (another one that can't carry a tune), there might be a show worthy of watching! Its a shame that a person can have ZERO talent and still be a star these days...

January 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sophia

Janice,

Get off your high horse, what do you know about Rihanna why you can't stand her. Can you answer that?

January 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. chino g

google copala car wash

January 28, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Chris

Maybe they'll get a musician to take her place.

January 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. LBW

I saw her perform New Years Eve. She's not all that.

January 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Janice

Thank goodness...can't stand her!

January 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  38. amyinoaktown

Rihanna...you have nothing to be ashamed of...YOU did not mess up the show, HE did. Go ahead and perform and show 'em what you got!

January 28, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  39. RS1981

Rihanna, it's not your fault that Chris decided to beat you, choke you and threaten to kill you. So please stop saying that you messed it up. You didn't ask to be beaten, choked and threatened. And if the awards people are going to hold that against you, then that's their problem not yours. You were not in control of what happened, and you are certainly not to blame. You are a good person, and I wish you nothing but the best, but please stop taking the blame, when you're not at fault in the first place.

January 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Hollie

Well, I'm kinda happy she's not preforming. I mean, she's amazing & I love her music .. But, why not have a better performance ? I think the Grammys should shake it up a bit and add a different band. Like, an alternative, pop-punk, screamo band ? I doubt they ever will though .. But, it's just a suggestion :D

January 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |