January 28th, 2010

Michael C. Hall wasn't going to reveal he had cancer

If it weren't for awards season, the public may never have known what "Dexter" star Michael C. Hall was dealing with behind-the-scenes.

The 38-year-old actor told Parade magazine that he considers personal health to be a very personal matter, and was going to keep the reality of his treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma to himself.

"I had every intention of keeping the fact that I had cancer quiet," he told the magazine. But, with two upcoming awards shows to hit, Hall said he thought the best option was to let the world know beforehand.

In a statement issued January 13, Hall's rep said the actor feels "fortunate to have been diagnosed with an imminently treatable and curable condition," and he thanked his medical team for their expertise and care.

Since that statement, "I've had a lot of people reach out to me who I wouldn't have heard from otherwise, like former high school teachers and friends from college," Hall said. "I've actually spent a lot of time responding to a lot of really concerned but ultimately congratulatory emails."

He added, "Lucky for me, I'm able to assure everyone that I'm on the road to recovery."

Hall returns to production of the fifth season of "Dexter" later this year.

Filed under: television

1. blkbty

One of the best TV dramas of all time! Simply love his talent and wish him nothing but the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

January 31, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. methuselah

We've just gotten into Dexter in the past month and what a blast. We hope Michael gets well soon. We send our loving support to him and Jennifer as they deal with this strongly. Best to you!

January 29, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jgoliwas

Loved him in 6 Ft Under, LOVE him and Jennifer in Dexter..wish them the best of luck and happiness..they deserve it.

January 29, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. captain america

@dave he would make a bad captain america, but a great red skull.

January 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dave

I might also add that I hope the producers of the upcoming "Captain America" movie take a look at Michael as a contender for the role.

January 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dave

Awesome actor.
    I'm glad he's doing better.

January 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tancesmistygirl

I also wish him the best – he has a great way of thinking about this. I'm sure he and Jennifer will have no problem beating this as they are such a strong team. A healthy sense of humor also helps get you through this – it helped me; I'm a 10 year cancer survivor myself!

Thanks for a wonderful show and best of luck with the awards, Michael – you sure deserve them!

January 29, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. ChrisC

Awesome show, glad he his well.

January 29, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. piratecat

His craft as an actor should be the focus of attention, not his private medical condition. One of the greatest actors of our time – I am glad that he is on the "road to recovery" for his own sake, of course, but also so that us as fans can enjoy his work for years to come.

January 28, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lanienyc

I wish him the best, wonderful actor.

January 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |