January 28th, 2010

'Idol' audition in Dallas not so hot

testing captions
testing captions

I'm going to call this week on "Idol" "Attack of the Guest Judges."

After Katy Perry sparred with Kara DioGuardi on Tuesday night, we were treated to guest judge Neil Patrick Harris giving Simon the business on Wednesday night.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Doogie Howser and I didn't always disagree with him, but the whole him-versus-Simon battle just seemed very much a male version repeat of the Katy/Kara schtick of  the night before.

Or maybe I was just cranky  because I  wasn't blown away by the talent in Dallas.

Dock worker Lloyd Thomas was funny and sang a nice version of  "Overjoyed," and I liked  Todrick Hall's original song, but for me it was just more of the same mix of folks - people who should never even consider singing in the shower and their meant-to-be-touching back stories.

Plus, I was freaked out by second-day guest judge Joe Jonas' eyebrows.

So what did you think of the Dallas auditions? Were you a fan?

1. MJ

I thought the show had way too many wannabee crazies on it. I wanted to see raw talent. I think they need to show people who make it to Hollywood not the showboat seekers.

January 29, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rob L

The whole show is scripted. Nuff Said.

January 29, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kevin M

I have but one thing to say. and that is if I hear "blah blah blah percent" one more time. Every night it is 100% yes or 100 million% yes or a billion percent or whatever my god. Come up with something else to say.

January 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robyn G.

Thought the show was supposed to be about singing talent, not who has beat cancer, has been homless or in foster care, has divorced parents, or who has a grandma that never misses the show. I want the contestants that have talent to move on without the distraction of having a tragic backstory. Can we please see the people who can ACTUALLY sing and not the fruitloops with the funky outfits and gimicks. And when the judges say "No", please MOVE ON so we can get to the next 24year old father of 3 who has recently become unemployed and wasn't doing anything so he thought he would come down and try out.

January 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chucklez

I despise American Idol.

I hate everything it stands for.

I think it is a joke.

I think it represents everything that is wrong in the music world today.

I think it is horrible to make people cry and humiliate them on national television.

I watch it every time it's on.

January 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JustMe

I think Kara is hot, even if she don't like men!

January 28, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JustMe

Neil Patrick Harris has been on broadway and sang on broadway. While I can not stand him, he does have more musical experience than lets say, Ellen, whom I love.

January 28, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. scricketball

Well, at least "Pants on the Ground" is a Youtube hit :p

January 28, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kris

Perry was a snottly little witch, Doogie was OK but boring. This year so far is pretty slow – I think we're tiring a little of the same old stuff. I hope it picks up soon or we may not be watching. Come on, Ellen!!

January 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leriec

kristen chenoweth for ellen degeneres!

January 28, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shopgirl74

I think there were a few good auditions, but overall it was bad. I didn't mind Neil Patrick Harriis, but the Avril/Katy night was a train wreck. Avril showed her age and Katy is too inexperienced to judge anyone. Bring on people who have been in the business for awhile. It makes Idol look desperate when they start getting judges like Avril. My 6 year old would have acted more mature and not like a spoiled brat. At this point, Idol should have forked over the extar money and kept Paula. It's not like they can't afford it!. I like Ellen thought, she will be funny when we finally get to that point. I think Idol has way passed it's prime.

January 28, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. socalbroke

I miss Paula.................. boo hoo................

The guest judges just make the show last longer; no charisma amongst them.

Would rather hear much more of the "You're Going to Hollywood!" auditions than the waste of time bad ones.

I'll probably tune out until we get to the top 12. Can always catch up on Youtube, if so inspired to do so.

January 28, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. "G"

I'm not watching Idol this year. Once they messed with the judges by adding the 4th judge it lost it's magic and now without Paula I refuse to watch. Ellen is not qualified to be a judge of music talent. Ellen does the show and the contestants who are sincere a disservice.

LETTING PAULA GO WAS A HUGE MISTAKE, AND I FEAR THE SHOWS DOWNFALL

January 28, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cherie

First of all, Joe Jonas got screwed by Idol. They used his name to bring in viewership, then edited out all of his comments. They didn't even show the one they were using in the commercial teaser for that night's show. Instead we got suff like that stupid nonsense piece about Simon! We didn't need 40 minutes of Neil and only 10 of Joe. For the record, I'm a 47 year woman, not some screaming teenager, and I would still rather see Joe Jonas judge rather than Neil, BTW, Joe's eyebrows kick ass.

January 28, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Serious

Wow. I guess you have to go through the process to understand how Idol works. My lil bro tried out for it in Orlando and gave me the skinny on it. Basically there are two-three auditions BEFORE these folks end up in front of Simon and his merry lil crew. Everyone you see you were meant to. Don't think these folks make it on the show by talent alone. A lot of talented people are turned away by Idol every year. There can only be so many "Top 20" singers. Everyone else is fodder for the beast....and seriously, if you can't sing and you make it to the judges table it's you own fault, not theirs, for letting America laugh at you. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

January 28, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jerry R

Avril was not only a terrible judge but dissing a man of faith? For shame!!! Hopefully the Hollywood shows will winnow the wheat from the crap.

January 28, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Paris

Idol is a total waste of time this year. I hope the live telecast will be better. I used to look forward, the only thing that has come out of Idol is "Pants on the Ground".....

January 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ginny

Agree Tina Katy Perry was obnoxious and if that was planned to spice up the show someone missed the mark. She sounded ignorant.

They spend too much time this year showing people's backstories. I would rather hear the good singers. At the end of the show you see this big parade of people who got yellow sheets but we never heard them sing. Too much time telling stories. Don't care just want to hear them sing.

Don't miss Paula and would be sad if it went away because it is a good spring board for young performers. Many who aren't winners still come out with careers.

January 28, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Bill

The weeks prior to Hollywood are always a waste of time to me.....but I know others really like it. You can't possibly judge the season based on these episodes. I also think Kara is the one who anchors the show. She is honest, kind and fun to watch. Ellen is going to be a great addition. The show will live on well after Simon leaves......because at the end of the day, we like the talent of the singers the most.

January 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lecter - Western Australia

ah, all the dooms dayers.....

you're dreaming people.... it's still the same mix ...

Pretty Good TV really.

Guest judges added to the commentary value (see the vitriol)

I am cynical to the maximum, but so far, it's keeping our house smiling.

January 28, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  21. philosopherkingtomas

Katy Perry was great, beautiful and honest! as sarcastic as Simon !

January 28, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Gina

Meggan, I agree with you 100%!
    Why do they do that? I want to see who gets through and to see their auditions. THAT'S IT.

I should have done what I did last year and skip the auditions altogether and just start watching from Hollywood on. All these back stories and freaks got old a LOOONNNNGGGG time ago.

The only funny one who stood out was the guy who did the Pants On The Ground song, and I'm tired of hearing that already too.

January 28, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lynn

They need to STOP having guest judges, period! WHAT do they add? NOTHING! And since Paula's gone, Kara thinks she's the hot chit now! And I wish she would STOP circling her head to the music! Drives me nuts! I never thought of Kara one way or the other as far as liking or disliking her, but again, now that Paula's gone, she thinks she's "the one" now! NOT!

EVERY guest judge, minus Shania Twain, has been BORING, BORING, BORING! Is FOX deliberately trying to kill the show? I bet we won't see IDOL much longer, and I for one, won't miss it.

January 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Adub

I love Neil Patrick Harris, I think he's great in HIMYM, too. He was very sassy last night. And Joe Jonas? He didn't say one word...I don't even know what his voice sounds like! Worthless! Overall, not impressed with the show last night. I hope it picks up.

January 28, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Bobbie

Hey how about Ryan Seacrest as a judge? Kara is BORING and stuck on herself as usual. I believe having only three judges is all the show needs, four takes up too much air time. Besides we have to watch all those commercials so it seems like there is very little viewing time for us to watch the contestants participating.

January 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ebony

This season sucks! The auditions aren't even that funny. Nothing will ever top Season 8....just my opinion.

January 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. moreamusing

I'm so glad that Katy Perry showed her true colours. She's been famous for exactly 10 minutes, but acted as if she's actually had a long career. How quickly she forgets where she came from.

January 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Dawn

If I have a work week that has not gone too well, I tune in on "American Idol" nites to do nothing but laugh. I mean...never mind the judges..its the contestants, and those who remain adament that they have the best singing voice. Yes folks, tears stream down my eyes with this show....along with the three stooges and their antics, this is THE show to watch and laugh like crazy.

January 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  29. paul colli

american idol is a dying television show in its last season and the producers are proving this by all of these guest hosts. In the past any guest hosts were primarily from the music business, now the producers pick and chose any celebrity has been, and they are no doubt told by the producers to fight with the judges. All you good people, the loyal fans of this, what was once a television institution, are falling for this contrived tripe. American idol is dying a slow death. Enjoy this season, it is no doubt the last, and the absolute death knell is going to be Ellen degeneres.

January 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. brian

My wife and I DVR the show now so we can watch when the babies go to bed. We can knock off the entire show in 28 minutes. No kidding. BTW, Kara tries too hard, she seems fake just like the crap music she writes.

January 28, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Rosemary

We hardly get to watch people actually sing anymore, particularly the ones that got through, they just show abit of their beautiful singing and then switch back to those who make a coplete fool of themselves like wearing wierd superhero costumes or men in bikinis. The celebrity guest judges are mean and borring.
    ..(sigh)..miss those days when it was just Simon, Paula and Randy doing the judging.

January 28, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Eric

So far Idol has become too predictable this year. Way too much time spent with sob stories from moderately talented people – which seems to guarantee they will go to Hollywood. ho hum...

January 28, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  33. TRICIA

I thought Katy Perry was hilarious and Kara deserved whatever she got. I also liked Neil Patrick Harris. He was just cool as a cucumber.

Has anybody noticed that Kara seems to have been enhanced since last year?

January 28, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Timber

Vote for the worst, baby!

January 28, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Tina

Katy Perry was the most obnoxious, rude, full of herself guest judge imaginable and she isn't even a good singer. Kara is good. She tries to give constructive criticism and appreciate what the person auditioning is going through.

January 28, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Wayne

Was just thinking..... They should let Jerry Jones be a judge! He loves himself so much like Simon, And they used his statue to himself as a venue, It would be perfect. Idol is done! but X-factor is not the answer either.

January 28, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jawad

kara is hot...hot... hot... hot...

January 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Sybaris

Idol has lost its allure. It's recipe to draw viewers is recycled year after year. How many times can you say, "Did they really think they could sing?". The years with legitimate winners (talented) vs. one trick pony's has run about 50/50 and becomes predictable around 4 weeks from the finale. Now this year with Ellen Degenres sitting beside an obvious homophobe?? Seriously? Put it to bed.

January 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Vickie

Jason:

And have we thanked this Gong Show with better production values for unleashing the overrated hype that is Adam Lambert on the world? Yeah, thanks again for that, Fox.

If you don't like Adam Lambert,

1- Don't buy his music
    2- Turn the TV when he is own
    3- Don't read articles that feature him.

You may not realize it, but just because you can't appreciate his talent doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of people who do.

He is about the most talented performer AI has ever had on that show, period..........

January 28, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  40. April

I forgot to mention my sister went to Orlando to try out for AI. The contestants have to go before a different panel of judges before even getting to the actual judges. When my sister auditioned, one of the pre-judges was texting on her phone, and not paying attention. My sister has a beautiful voice, and I'm not just saying that. If she couldn't sing, I'd be the first to tell her. But everyone who has ever heard her, has said to try out. My sister said that they were letting VERY FEW actual talented ppl thru. The only ones who were getting thru were the stupid, obnoxious, and ridiculous ones who can't sing worth a flitter. It's a shame. I hate to think of how many ppl didn't get thru because of that.

January 28, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  41. KB

Shania Twain has been the best guest judge. She should be a permanent judge instead of Ellen.

January 28, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  42. life by Bob

The only bright spot I saw on idol was a girl in the Boston trials, I think her name was Curtis. Besides that I have seen nothing of interest.

January 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Wayne

Could not tell you, With Paula gone and the addition of Ellen I will never watch it again! In fact if a commercial comes on about Idol I turn the channel.

January 28, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Joe

I agree...Idol is not good this year so far! the best thing about dallas was the cheerleaders !! I won't be watching once Ellen takes the stage.

January 28, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sherry

I was hoping for better talent. And I don't like to see the judges fight, especially the guest judges! I miss Paula.

January 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mollie

It's just so phony. I can't stand Kara, either. She's part of this whole manufactured music B.S.. She actually has formulas for hit songs. How creative!

January 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Joe Cowel

Get used to this low-level of talent folks, the top talent has long since been found, what is left will be marketed as 'new' and 'exciting' and 'making it their own' (because we are losers and keep watching the show), but its all average people with average voices who deserve a record deal about as much as Simon deserves a miss congeniality award.

January 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ryan

NPH was amazing. He's a hilarious dude, can sing, and knows show business. You tell it how it is. These arent little kids. you dont sugarcoat things. If you bad u need to be told. And who said they cant wait for Ellen to join?? You cant be serious. She is an idiot who is NOT funny, and will ruin the show. She knows NOTHING about music. Also, Shania as well as Victoria Beckham were great. I wish they would have just signed Victoria to judge instead of Ellen. At least she has talent. And the Jonas brother was a waste of time. He just sat there and did nothing...gah this show is slipping.

January 28, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  49. April

I have to agree about Kara. She works my last nerve. Some of the stuff she says is absurd! I can't even watch sometimes because of Kara.

I miss Paula! I think Simon is getting out while the gettins good. I don't see AI lasting much longer. I'd say maybe next year, and that's it. And that's only if the ratings can keep up this year. From the looks of it, I don't see that happening. First Paula, and now Simon is leaving. 2/3 of Idol is/will be gone.

Remind me again why they hired Kara?

January 28, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Stina

I agree Todrick's original song was the highlight of the evening last night for "Idol"..........perhaps" Idol" has run its course.....I am quiet anxious to see how Simon's new show The X Factor is going to do.....

January 28, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Melissa Springer

Awful – poor talant and very confusing editing

January 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jane

I think AI will be cancelled next year..

January 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  53. SJ

I just hope the "Powers that Be" at Idol read these comments and take them to heart!!!!

January 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Beth

There always is too many commercials during programs! I also think that Idol shows way too many bad performances and not enough good ones. My nephew was a Christian rock singer and has an absolutely fabulous voice...he auditioned in Milwaukee one year and do you think he got a chance to perform in front of Simon etc ...hell no...they would prefer to have some wierdo, dressed up like a pimp, with no singing talent whatsoever! The show is a joke!

January 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Beth

There always is too many commercials during programs! I also think that Idol shows way too many bad performances and not enough good ones. My nephew was a Christian rock singer and has an absolutely fabulous voice...he auditioned in Milwaukee one year and do you think he got a chance to perform in front of Simon etc ...hell no...they would prefer to have some wierdo, dressed up like a pimp, with singing talent whatsoever! The show is a joke!

January 28, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  56. KB

Kara's pandering to Randy and Simon last year, along with her "hey, let me OUTDO Randy in pimping Adam L." schtick literally drove my wife and I to agree – No More Idol.

The Kara "No, really the producers put me up to that, it wasn't my idea at ALL" bikini bit in the finals last year nailed down that decision.

And I've discovered that having those 3 nights a week back has been very enjoyable.

January 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Shoiens

It has been a diappointing year. ENOUGH with the back stories! Avril Lavigne came off as cranky, immature and a complete waste of time (why on earth she was there I will never know), Katy Parry was nasty, rude and downright offensive. At least Doogie Howser was polite and well mannered unlike the last two I mentioned. Simon seems bored and not really there. It's just the same old crap.. CAn we get back to the competition please?

January 28, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Nancy Harrison

I watched until about half way through last night's show and then I turned the TV off. I could no longer stand the backbiting between the guest judges and the regular judges and the total lack of talent of the contestants. I am finished with Idol. Goodbye and fairwell. You have lost a viewer.

January 28, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Tab

@jo-jo:

You don't need a musical background to know whether a person:

1. can sing
    2. can not sing

And further, you don't need a musical background to know when someone has limited vocal ability. If they strain at higher notes or lower notes, or can't hold a note comfortably, that is pretty easy to notice. If you hit the notes flatly, that is pretty easy to hear as well. No experience is really necessary, just a well-tuned ear.

January 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Ash

I know this is crazy but I just cannot get interested without Paula. I feel like they have disrupted the groove of things!!!

January 28, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Nancy Harrison

i quit watching after the first show. Idol has lost me permanently. The backbiting between judges and the comments by the contestants have left me cold. I just turned the TV off and read a good book.

January 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JeffNParis

I thought Shania Twain, Mary Jo Blige and Joe Jonas were the best guest judges. They were humble and knew their places as 'guests'. That said, did we really need guest judges at all? For years AI did fine with three opinions. And what's up with all the Kara-bashing? She seems like a nice person and is very music industry-savvy. Prediction: Ellen will lighten things up this year and be a great addition to the panel..

January 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  63. John

Horrible, horrible, horrible so far. I am tired of IDOL just showing all the BAD talent and only giving us a glimpse of the few that go through. Last night, they let 31 contestants through and we only saw 4 and dozens of horrible ones at that. Yes, way too many commercials. I hate watching the auditions. Thank goodness for TiVo. So far, not that impressed with Idol this year.

January 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  64. DJ Gray

You certainly cracked the case, Terri. I have no idea how they managed to psychically predict who would have a good story to tell when all of those people showed up to audition Tuesday and Wednesday night. They really expect us to believe this garbage? It's not like the auditions were really last June or something and just now being shown. How stupid do they think we are?

January 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Louise Mackin

I agree COMPLETELY with the comments. I thought Avril should have left her kitty cat hoodie at home and was a little ignorant to the performers. I thought Neil was over-stepping his bounds by being a bit too mouthy and seemed to purposely disagree with Simon. He was simply a guest judge and he's not even a singer/songwriter.

I am also very disappointed in this year's production of the tryouts....they are showing too many of the bad performances....kinda getting the dramma into it all. I would like to see more of the performances that made it as they will be the ones we will be watching throughout the next phases.

Bring on Ellen!!!!!

January 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  66. AK

Blah.

January 28, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  67. MDTR

THIS WEEKS IDOL WAS CRAP!!!!!! I hate Kara but I think that Katy was just acting like a BIG BITCH! no ofence or anything.......... but other that that neil was a great judge....

January 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Mike

To citizenUSA:

Neil Patrick Harris is a Broadway performer – he does actually have some singing chops.

January 28, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  69. DEE

I DONT CARE FOR AVRIL SHE A EVIL PERSON, JOE AND NEAL WAS GREAT LAST NIGHT. I HOPE NEXT YEAR THE HAVE SHAINA BACK AS A FULL JUDGE... KATY WAS RIGHT TO GIVE THAT SNOT HEAD KARA JUST WHAT SHE NEEDED.. THANKS KATY

January 28, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Toni

God, is there anything worst than the state of Texas? Worst???Anything Worst than Texas? Yes, obviously you!

January 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  71. pepe

I think Idol is in its last year. The show is getting ridiculous. Too many sad storys not showing enough of contestants singing. They are showing these people doing all sorts of stupids things. Get rid of Kara, tell Randy whats up dog is getting sicking, and bring back Paula. Say what you want but without Simon next year this show is history. I will not watch this crap anymore. Show used to be good in the beginning. Too bad its going down the tubes.

January 28, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  72. bg

It’s only a TV show celebrating pop culture tripe. You all need to get a grip and get a life.

January 28, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  73. suzy

American Idol jumped the shark long ago and is swimming for its life. This show is so boring, manipulative and pathetic. The editing is stupid, the gimmicks silly, so why not get out and do something in real life? Who cares if Dallas was disappointing? All the auditions are big yawns. I hate the sob stories as well.

January 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Melissa

Paula is an oversensitive child. The fact that she isn't on the show, but Simon IS, is the only reason to watch this season.

January 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Steve Neter

There hasn't been ONE pefrson so far that has stood out luike Adam lambert did last year...and it's more than obvious, they want a female to win this year. (Randy jackson even made a comment that it's going to be a girl's year on TV shows already)

Last year, Adam lambert kept everybody watching. This year so far it looks like another boring year...ala Jordin Sparks/Blake Edwards or Fantasia,Diane De Garmo...

Simon sensed that IDOl has "jumped the shark" and he will pull in monster ratings for the X FACTOR as IDOL dimishes after he leaves. Right now, Simon is the ONLY reason to watch the show.

Maybe it will all change when the final 24 are seen by us...but so far, the show isn't as good as last year.

January 28, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Lee

The dock worker was the best. It is not an easy task to sing a Stevie Wonder song...He did it perfectly..He should be the next American Idol so far from what I have heard. Thank You.

January 28, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Mike

Is it just possible you didn't see all of the acts out of Dallas?

January 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Karen

Don't really know what a Jonas Brothers' eyebrows have to do with anything, but for me it will never be the same without the magical Simon-Paula-Randy lineup. The thrill is gone.

January 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Mizzou

The young guest judges are in no position to argue with people like Simon, Randy or Kara who have all been in the music industry for years. Avril Lavigne was very arrogant and if I had liked her before, I don't any longer. Way too full of herself. Neil Patrick Harris was okay. Loved Shania Twain. Looking forward to Ellen joining in and seeing how that goes. She has no music experience, but she will represent the every day person who watches and votes.

January 28, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  80. ME

That was the worst night of Idol I have ever seen.

Cons
    Too few peformers
    Too much time spent with poor performers
    Too much time spent with personal stories
    They need Paula back

Pros
    I like the fact that some of the guest judges have had the courage to speak their minds to the big egos that usually do the judging

January 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  81. terri

I think this show is FAKE too. It's all set up. Why do they have the "personal interest" stories even before the person goes out there to try out? Do the judges already know who had Cancer, or who lost their Parent, or who has Terrets Syndrome?

Simon is smart to leave after this season. OMG, what will it be like next year, leaving poor Randy with two weird women: Kara & Ellen! Guess it's time for me to stop watching.

I hate all the commercials. Good thing for TIVO, there is more commercials than time for the show! Getting ridiculous!

January 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Melissa

Oh and I have to agree with some other comments on here. I won't be watching once Ellen takes the stage. I cannot stand that annoying woman. I'd rather watch Simon Cowell rip people apart, than listen to 15 minutes of Ellen's annoying voice.

January 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Jason

I absolutely LOVE Idol! I've watched every season since the beginning. Bringing Kara on last year was one of the best things Idol has done so far. Sure, Paula was cute and friendly, but her antics were starting to get boring. You can only watch so many years of "is Paula drunk or on pain pills"? I also love the guest judges. It makes the show fresh and new. However, I do wish we could see more of the singers during the auditions. Seems like you get to see one person sing, then they are off to a commercial break.

January 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  84. FactCheck

----–

Well, yes he is. He starred and sang in the Broadway productions of Sweeney Todd, and Cabaret and has recorded the soundtrack to Evening Primrose. Since more American Idol fans don't really know anything about *real* musicians, I'm not surprised at this reaction.

January 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Melissa

I liked all the guest judges this week. They were blunt and honest, and I am a great admirer of both qualities. I didn't see much talent in Dallas though. And I have to say, I'm getting sick to death of the contestants potty mouths when they get turned down.

January 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  86. fmjk

What the show lacks at this point is what got it where it is today: people singing. The producers have gotten so wrapped up in the Queen for A Day/I'm More Pitiful Than You Are stories that they never show us the actually good singers singing. It's all back story (and commercials) and no auditions. If they aren't going to show the actual auditions - which used to be fun because you could spot the raw talent along with the judges and watch to see how the singers either grew or collapsed as the show went forward - what is the point of several audition weeks? For the past several years, they wasted way too much of our time with the bad/joke auditions, and now they've compounded the problem with the unbearably repetitive human interest stories. How many times can Ryan Seacrest say "overcome" in one week? And isn't there any kind of other interesting thing about any of these contestants besides those who "overcame" a rough start?

January 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  87. jo-jo

DON'T like Kara at all.... she should have left, instead of crazy Paula! Kara is phony and a "know it all".... I liked Katy Perry, and Joe Jonas is weird! Doogie Houser was just "so-so" as a Judge!!!
    I wasn't very impressed with the contestants at all ! Why does FOX and AI producers even let some of those people on there to try out? When they know they cannot sing and they act so stupid.
    That is turning me and my family off alot this year!!!

AND then we will have Ellen soon. What the heck does she know about judging songs and the way singers will perform? She's not a singer or doesn't have musical background. She started out as a Stand-Up Comic and now has a talk show! So that gives her the experience to judge singers?
    I DON'T THINK SO !

January 28, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Marlene

Without Paula the show just has no personality. PLEASE convince her to come back at least for what is probably its last season.

January 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Andrew W

My opinions only, but the most useless guest judge by far so far has been Avril Lavigne who offered no constructive criticism, made it clear that she really doesn't know anything about music, and overall just looked like the snobby little pop princess she is (no, she's not "punk rock" in any way.

Neil Patrick Harris was by far the best, then again, I live my live by the motto: WWNPHD?

January 28, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  90. caryn

yeah, joe needs some manscaping on those brows

January 28, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  91. brent

American Idol is a disaster this season! They show so many dorks and people who cannot sing, but only let us see two or three who have good voices. Fox is ruining what used to be fun show to watch. I'm turning off my T-V until it's narrowed down to performances only! Boo hiss

January 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  92. VT

This was the worst week of American Idol EVER! I hope the producer and director come back from vacation to cut next week's episodes!

January 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Jen

Katy Perry was snobbish and had nothing to offer the contestants.
    Neil Patrick Harris was honest and refrained from laughing at the contestants. I did like Shania Twain-she was never rude.
    Joe Jonas,, Not sure if this guy has any real talent or not... the Jonas Brothers appeal to kids and tweens, no musical greats thats for sure.

So far none of the talent has blown me away, especially the guy with Tourette's from last night- he was average at best, yet got through and will probably be in the top 24.

I also get sick of them focusing so much on the "stories" people have-everyone has a story. I want to see more auditions than them focusing so much time on one person.

January 28, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  94. June Ganes

What Idol? All the commercials and not enought Idol. They ran people by the screen that had made it through but we never had the chance to hear them. One vocal then 10 commercials....way to many!

January 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Bob

TOO MANY COMMERCIALS AND NOT ENOUGH SHOW!!!!
    I usually DVR the show and watch it going past the commercials it sure saves a lot of time. Also too much fluff on the show. They need to concentrate on the singers. Is that not why they are there?

January 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Sax

Very disappointed in Guest Judges Why are they questioning the pastor and being concerned the amount of time this will take for him being away from family and whether he could handle that type of lifestyle". Obviously he would not have auditioned if he thought it was too much for him. I thought the guest judges was to judge on the individuals singing talent. Very disappointed ths year.

January 28, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  97. capexcitemnt

a tweeker gets hauled off in handcuffs. simon turns to the other judges and asks, well...is it a yes or a no? ....laughed my a off.

January 28, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Dave

They really need to reboot the show next season by getting rid of all of the judges. Simon IS the show and it will be proven if they keep going the same direction as the train wreck down the proverbial tracks.
    Kara is terrible, Randy is a broken record with his critiques, and Ellen (although unproven so far) is not going to set the AI world on fire. She was horribly miscast for this.

January 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jimmy

Neil Patrick Harris has sang in stage plays and musicals. He was very well received. That is why he was probably on American Idol. Its not like he just acts. JUSY FYI.

January 28, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Carol

This year idol sucks, and the guest judges are embarrassing to say the least. Kara needs a new job, she's as rude as it gets. I don't blame Simon for making this his last year .

January 28, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  101. MIckey

I don't actually watch American Idol, because I'm more fond of syncopation and rhythm than pop vocalists. That disclaimer aside, it's amusing to read all the rants! The ones that are the most entertaining are people decrying Ellen, Kara, & NPH for not being musicians. Wait. Simon Cowell played what? Having an eye for talent is not the same thing as having talent. Both are skills, but only the former is required for the job of judge.

January 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  102. fran

I think they should have a contest for an ordinary person who watches the show to sit in as a judge. That would be worth watching since they got rid of the train wreck Paula.

January 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Idolwatcher

I agree with Siren4Song and MT – but I have particulary noticed the enormous number and length of commercials. Are the judges being paid so much that it doesn't allow any time for the show. I am tired of the bickering and think constructive criticism is much healthier than the brow beating. Or maybe they should be more selective of the talent before the filming. Why make fun of the untalented ones when they could pursue talent and then approach with constructive judging.

January 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Sheila

Kara has a new confidence this year with Paula gone. She is phony and obnoxious most of the time

January 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  105. MK

The show is so bad this year all I can say is bring on The X Factor.

January 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Kitkat

Idol needs to go away and quick. Simon is so good at what he does & has sense to jump off the boring "band" wagon. The rest are sunk when he has gone.

January 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  107. kba

I agree with you. It lacked something that previous seasons had and I felt it was much more choreographed – like maybe these "disagreements" between the guest judges and the regulars was set up. Also, while some people find the bad singers annoying, I really enjoyed seeing a wide spectrum of singers as they showed in earlier seasons. Now it seems they just blow through everything too quickly. I was definitely bored and not blown away by the people who made it through the auditions. Maybe Simon saw this coming and that's why he's making this his last season.

January 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Tully

I am glad that I decided not to watch AI anymore after last Season finals. Since I don't seem to have time for all the interesting programs on cable, why wasting my time and energy with a reality show that ends up with ridiculous result?

January 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Roborob

American Idol is on agian, I thought they cancelled that thing after last year. All joking aside, um, really, Simon/Randy make a good duo and leave these other folks off. If you want a 3rd Judge, it must be more of a producer or talent agent of sorts, not some full of themself singer, some actor who did some broadway cause he has an average voice. No you need TALENT EVALUATORS.. Like CLIVE DAVIS reincarnate.. You have to actually show more people SINGING and less melodramtic mularky. Save that for those that actually have talent later in the show so people can start to care for them. LESS IDOTS who cant sing, I mean i love that aspect as much as the next guy, but the ratio is off. MORE TALENT, LESS NO TALENT. Less commericals although I know you have to pay the bills, therefore STOP the crowd shots, WE DONT CARE... We tune in to see SINGING and SIMON telling people they couldnt sing in a bar full of dead people. HAH.

January 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Wanda

This season is horrible. I have always been a fan but I don't think I will be watching this year. Guest judges Katy and Avril were horrible. Their comments were in poor taste. I never knew how immature Avril was. They should place real talent to audition and not the untalented people they are giving air time to. I feel bad for the once who were on TV just to be made fun of.

January 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Geoff

Simon is the only one that makes this show anything...soon to be a dud...onto X Factor!

January 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  112. "B"

Ginny

I do know quite a bit about Avril L. as she is Canadian also.

It seems her fame has gone to her head and now only ignorance stands out.

Maybe you should stand in from of her and be laughed out and see how you would like it.

She is a pathetic little girl!!!!!!!!!

January 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Megan

I hate Kara! She is the MOST annoying person on planet earth and she's majorly desperate for friends. Is there a reason she has to hang all over the guest judges and act like long lost sisters? She grates on my nerves like NO other. I miss Paula and her drunken crazy comments!

January 28, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Dori

It is time for IDOL to say goodbuy. Maybe the format is wrong or maybe we have heard just too many sound-a-likes to even care any more. The background stories sound contrived and we have heard it all before, and before that, and before that.

i do not plan to watch any more – not even the finals. way to boring and not much talent.

January 28, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  115. GAlan

Its funny how people complain about the show, but are obviously watching it just to complain. Dont watch the show if you dont like it. Let the people that are still entertained enjoy themselves.

I personally dont watch the auditions to see who makes it to Hollywood. I watch it for the comedy. And the show tells you to go to the website to see who made it from cities they held auditions. Hollywood week for me is when you watch to see the talent they have chosen.

The show may come to an end soon, and when it does. It will have had a great run. The guest judges are cool. They are all qualified.

January 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Debby

I liked Neil Patrick Harris. He was interesting and right on.

January 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Misha

The Dallas auditions like their football team were far from mainstream!

January 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Palm Springs

While I don't disagree with most of the comments here, it is a fact that American Idol remains in the top tier of most programs watched week after week. Tues night is usually #2 and Wed #3. Week after week. So while the production may be faltering, the viewership is not.

The best guest judge was indeed Kristen Chenowith. She was charming, smart and congenial.

I never liked Kara, she is rude, condescending not only to the contestants but to other judges. Katy Perry was awful, but Kara continued to fuel that fight. This is not what we want to see Kara. During the last 4-5 weeks of the show last year, she was very rude to Paula as she was trying to unseat her and come between Simon and Puala's relationship.

Simon keeps saying, "This is a singing competition" RIGHT! This is what we tune in for. Are you listening producers? I really don't like the shape of the production of the show this year. If they continue in the vain, I'm done with it. I don't care about the contestants back story, I just wanna know if they can sing and is it going to be a real competition this year among very talented people. At this point we, the audiance, have no idea since we were not able to see most of the people who got a pass to Hollywood nor hear them sing. Think substance over droll and self grandizing drama. Its very much a switch and bait.

And Ryan....me doth think he protest too much. Ryan, NO ONE CARES who you sleep with dude. You're not that important.

January 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Larry

I timed it.

Idol was 28 mins of actual show. The rest was used for commercials and filler material.

Not good Fox. We are onto your game. Fans are leaving in droves. More singers LESS commercials

January 28, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Estelle

Idol should have folded up years ago. We don't need any more pop stars.

January 28, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Kerri

American Idol has become a spoof of the American television audience. They need to just sell the show the Lifetime and have done with it. "My name is Joe Smith, and I had a headache this morning," cue in sappy music and scene with Joe staring into the mental distance.

Thank God for TiVo! The problem is, if you record the show and fast forward through all that garbage, you're down to about eight minutes.

January 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Irritated

I won't be watching Idol again next season. They have lost this fan. I am not impressed with any of the shows so far this season. I watch the auditions to see people sing (or try to sing). Too much antics, commercials and behind the scenes stuff.

January 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Matt

To be fair, the "meant to be touching backstories" are only shown for the better candidates, so the ones with the backstories aren't the ones that should be singing in the shower.

My biggest issue with it is how contrived it all obviously is... the scouts select the very best candidates and the very worst candidates and parade them in front of the judges for a few hours... then cut it to make it look like that's not what's going on.

Still it's funny sometimes isn't it?

January 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Robert

Gee, what an important story. American Idol in Dallas. I'm old, I can actually remember when television had real programs.

January 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Ryan

I'm not watching Idol this year. The show has run it's course. Once they messed with the judges by adding the 4th judge it lost it's magic and now without Paula I refuse to watch. Although I like Ellen she is not qualified to be a judge of music talent. I might as well sit in.

January 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Cheri

The show is almost unbearable. I don't even mind that the audition shows are about bad singers. What I hate is that they spend so much time on back stories and filler. We know that Simon doesn't actually watch every person in that crowd of 1,000, so don't treat us like we're stupid and waste time with that.
    That said, although Katy Perry was slightly rude, she had the right idea. It's not about the sob stories. And Neil Patrick Harris was not a jerk. No more so than the normal judges who laugh in people's faces all the time. And he does have the talent and credentials to back up his criticism. If they could replace the current judges with him, Kristin Chenoweth, and Katy Perry, we'd have serious, bubbly, and snarky in a much more entertaining and relevant package.

January 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Pam

Not impressed at all with the Dallas auditions. I was extremely annoyed with Neil Patrick Harris' attitude.

January 28, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Charlene

If it wasn't for the talented singers here and there I wouldn't watch the ridiculous show. Paula was great and hopefully ellen will be fun cause for Kara sucks...I can't stand her stuck on herself attitude.

January 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Renee

I think Kara is picking up where Paula left off – too sweet & nice – her feedback is not constructive and will not mean anything to the contestants down the road. I thought Katy Perry & Neil Patrick Harris were great. When Simon steps down, Neil would be a good replacement. You need to have at least one judge who is willing to actually tell it like it is. If they can't find someone like that, the show will never be the same.

January 28, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Texan

Idol got exactly what they wanted. Reaction out of the audience from bad guest judges to help the show hobble along and also to create a buzz.. How else could they generate publicity on that sinkiing ship?

But please, PLEASE....... get Kara off of there. She is just soooooooo
    Dull, boring, predictable, full of herself, and definitley not fun to watch.

Bring back more of the people that cant sing, that was the fun part.
    After the auditions are over, the rest of the season really sucks.
    All of the past winners with the exception of Kelly Clarkson are still and always will be NOBODIES!!!!

January 28, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Michelle Belle

Idol has been not so hot all season. Don't bash on Dallas just because the acts idol actually chose to feature on the show were sub par. Idol seems to be just a feature of mediocre singers with troubled times. I definitely feel for the people, but like Katy Perry said...this isn't a Lifetime movie. Its a singing competition and it needs to feature more of that in the auditions. To JPX and other close minded individuals: Being from Texas I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder concerning the widely accepted and stereotyped opinion of us. We are not all red-neck, uneducated, conservative, idiots. Texas is a great state. I'll get off my soap box now.

January 28, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  132. DjaksMom

Although it's the right thing to do, not having as many of the silly auditions is less entertaining. Also, more commercials & ridiculous guest judges isn't enjoyable & Kara's trying to hard-playing up for the cameras or something. BRING ON ELLEN!

January 28, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Kami

Pants on the ground was the only thing that entertained me thus far.. I believe next year there will be no A.I.

January 28, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  134. money

This entire season so far has been a joke. The other night it was an hour long show and they only showed 3 people singing, 2 of which were selected for HollywoodLand. It is all filler now and the guests are a joke. Katy Perry, Avril Levigne. These woman have no musical know how or clout. This show is total crap now. Bing on the X-Factor.

January 28, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  135. ginny

"B": Avril Lavigne may not be your cup of tea, but to question how she got where she is now shows you don't know much about her. She started as a teen and worked her way to the top not only performing her own music, but writing it as well. She has done nothing but hard work the "old fashioned" way, THAT'S how she got where she is today. You don't have to like her to appreciate that.

January 28, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Jason

People still watch this show?

January 28, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  137. liljerk22

I have been watching AI since day one and I have to say I am getting tired of them not showing us more of the good people. Yeah it is funny sometimes to watch the "bad" people but come on lets see some more of the good ones! I don't know how its going to be once Simon leaves after this season!

January 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Rebecca

What does Neil Patrick Henry know about music? What quatlifies him to be a judge? What has he done to show he has an exceptional ear for voices? He shouldn't even be on the show let alone argue with Simon whether someone was good or not.

January 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Bmorechick

I don't even bother to watch the auditions anymore. I used to like it because when the 'awful' people were before the judges, they actually thought they had a chance. Now, everyone knows that in order to get their 15 minutes, they must have some type of 'hook'. So now we have people dressing up as guitars, 62 year old men and Lord only knows what is to come just wasting my time. Remember bikini girl? I'm just waiting for her to be topped this season with naked girl. When does it end??? I will wait until Hollywood to tune in again.

For the record, Paula got on my nerves and I never was feeling Kara. I think they will try one year after Simon leaves but Idol fans, enjoy it because it will soon be no more!

January 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  140. tr

They should go back to the original format,,, see some funny and nearly all that pass through to the next round..... First major mistake was getting Kara on!!! down hill from there.

January 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  141. William

What's missing this season? PAULA!!!!

January 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  142. lori

What is really sad is how many wonderful young adults who do not get in for the tv experience of letting all the odd balls who make for "good TV".
    No one really knows Simon and the gang only see a select few. There are tables and tables of judges who sit in the arena calling up 6 to 10 kids at a time (the kids try out and sing all around others who are singing at the very same time) passing on only 1 good singer for every 20 bad singer tickets. It is shameful that they lead on the group they do, and send home 100rds of really great talent that we would all love to see. Kids who have done everything right in there life's and deserve to be heard and rewarded. When you see the arena of 1000's Simon and the gang are NOT THERE...They hand out the first set of gold tickets have the kids try out in a privet place were they hear only a few. It is just showman ship TV ment to make money.

January 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  143. EZ

You people are daffy! Name one season that was more entertaining than this one. To me, the auditions are business as usual, all the same talent and all the same nut jobs. How is it that this season's audtions are any worse than any other season's? I admit, I have never liked Kara. I loved Paula. It was a mistake to let her go. But for the most part, I am enjoying the season so far.

January 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Chris

This is the worst season ever for the "American Idol." What ever happened to the auditions that made you laugh until you cried. They were the reasons I taped every show for seven seasons. And the thought of Simon leaving makes me cringe, he can't be replaced. The show will never be the same without him.

If the producers/network are not going to return the show to it's original format, they should save face by simply canceling the show.
    Let us remember "American Idol" in it's former glory. (Repeats)

January 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Greg in Dallas

Is American Idol on? I haven't missed it, so why should I start watching it again?

January 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Cherri

I am a huge fan of this show and have watched all seasons except for Season 1, but this year has been more than disappointing. The first 2 cities were okay, but LA and Dallas was quite boring, not to mention the Avril and Katy were more than lacking in knowledge. Just because you have a string of hits doesn't always mean you can sing.......

January 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  147. PJW

Simon looked bored as hell last year, and now this year Idol has clearly jumped the shark.

If Ellen is anything like the way she was as a guest judge on So You Think You Can Dance, where she had nothing to say but lame, self-indulgent, cliched schtick, then this year will be an epic trainwreck.

As for the guest judges, the only one who's impressed me has been Victoria Beckham - who I fully expected to be a snotty b-–, yet came across as a warm, big hearted person. Loved that.

The rest of the guest judges have ranged from near mutes with nothing to say, to outright monsters. Katy Perry needs to go somewhere and never come back.

January 28, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Cole

The entire season so far has been a complete bore. If it wasn't for my DVR to where I can FF thru all the sob story backgrounds, Kara's so-called "advice" and the typical freak-show audition, I wouldn't be watching at all. Can't wait for the end of the season when its down to the final four and we actually get to listen people sing!

January 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  149. deedub

randy rocks, kara is cool, simon is...simon. shania was the best guest judge so far. but the show has its "pants on the ground." this is my last season as a viewer...if i make it through to the finale, that is.

January 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Sarah

Katy Perry was definitely the worse judge. She's an okay singer, but a horrible performer. She had one bonafide hit, yet she was so rude. I was really shocked in her attitude. I understand producers and songwriters being harsh, but i expect the actual peformer/singer to have more humilty considering not everyone is going to like your voice no matter how good you are.

The show is okay so far, i like to see the top 30-32 before i place judgment. The first weeks are all about the comedy. I agree they should show more singing, and less background sob stories. It gives those that they feature more of an advantage.

January 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Roger

Kara definitely should be off. Am going to reserve judgment on Ellen as we haven't seen her yet! Neil Patrick Harris would be a great permanent judge. The Dallas auditions were no better and no worse than any other of the cities Idol goes. The REAL idol competition doesn't begin until they get to Hollywood! Patience everyone.

January 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Sam

The whole show is going downhill... Joe Jonas? Really? And enough of the people coming in with their costumes and ugly clothes when they KNOW they are awful to get their 15 minutes... Farewell, A.I., I don't want to waste my time on this anymore.

January 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Julian

I saw more commercials than the actual aditions – Even with DDR I spent more time fast forwarding throught the commercials.
    There is not much susbtance considering the thousands they interview. We get to see maybe .01%? – boring!!

January 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  154. yclept

Definitely not family friendly? I am looking for what exactly isn't family friendly about American Idol; love or hate the show, it's about as innocent as you will ever find.

January 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Leslie

Let's see.
    Paula is gone. Simon is leaving. Ratings are gonna change due to it being the 9th season.
    What to do?

Have "guest" appearances by people that know little of the industry, and you all know who I am singling out....and have them be rude and pick arguements with the other judges. What else can American Idol do?

They need ratings somehow....

January 28, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  156. jaybo

I agree with the consensus...this show has gone downhill fast and no longer has any appeal. I like Randy and Simon can be entertaining. Kara is fair at best, and the revolving door of guest judges is a disaster. I realized just how bad this show is when, instead of tuning in, I decided to help my young son with his homework, and then take out the garbage. Do us all a favor...PULL THE SHOW OFF THE AIR.

January 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Jeff

I'm not sure which was worse - the auditions or this lame excuse of a review. I mean how much time did you put into writing it - five minutes maybe?

The Whip Girl was fun (you don't even mention the most provocative part of the show in your review) and the guy with Tourette syndrome was interesting.

But no one would even know about them from your shallow, skip-over-the-details approach to journalism.

January 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Nicole

Bring back Paula fast!!!!

January 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Manda81305

Ever since my co-worker's daughter auditioned and was immediately excused (she had already been in 4 Broadway musicals) I was turned off by the whole process. This kid had legitimate talent, enough so to be on Broadway, and they take these crack pot kids that can't hold a pen let alone a tune. I was just disgusted by the whole thing and haven't watched since....

January 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  160. "B"

I must admit I do watch some of American Idol but I do hurt for those who took the chance – to wait a length of time – very nerve recking, only to get up before the judges to be laughed at and rediculed. I think that Kara and Katy were rediculous Tuesday nite which I found strange for Kara. She usually handles herself so well. Avril Lavigne was so immature and childish. Who is she to laugh and criticize those people with their dreams. Grow up, Avril, your dream bubble can burst at any time. I can't believe you got where you are now. To all the judges: Be kind and understanding. Very disappointed viewer.

January 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Tameka

I'm not impressed with Idol this year at all. I want to see more people sing. And I want to see some of the really bad ones...like in the old days. The past two nights have really been disappointing. They show too many snippets.

I'm not liking Paula being gone and I'm not a "huge" fan of Kara though she is growing on me. I really am lookking forward to Ellen coming on the show.

I thought Doogie Howser was rude and quite arrogant...sort of changed my opinion of him. And really aren't crazy about all the guest judges coming on either. I liked it much better in the older days than I have the past couple of years..but especially this year.

January 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  162. KAROLLA

Kara should be off the show. Ellen is missteke as well.
    Katy Perry – looked like street girl and behaved as one.

January 28, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Robyn

I agree AI isn't as entertaining as pervious years, but IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF PAULA!!!! I actually enjoyed most of the guest judges and how they seem to be just as honest as Simon. For example, Katy Perry was absolutely right to tell Kara not to let someone through because you feel sorry for them. Katy wasn't being rude – she was right!

January 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  164. michael

american idol is fake and scripted anyway so who cares. Every episode and every season are exactly the same.the same mix of annoying people make to the finals so it will be "politically correct theyll be a few gay boys of course a few punk girls some soul dudes and so no talents. SO JUST STOP WASTING YOUR TIME WATCHING THIS BS!

January 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  165. freddy j

come on everyone you have to remember. The producers put this all together. They coach the "crazy" auditions, and they also want the judges to have conflict, they do encourage it. It would not be worth the networks money to just have all great talent and no conflict. Thier is alot of money on the line and they cannot put ratings at stake with just silence in between. It's all part of the "Drama" life is a stage, and Idol is the biggest.

January 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  166. John

Regarding why they used Neil Patrcik Harris (per the above question), he is an actor and singer on broadway and has appeared in Broadway shows as well as some recordings (Sondheim's Frogs comes to mind). he also appears in Joss Whedon's "Dr. Horrible's sing-along blog.

January 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  167. tina

I'm waiting for more episodes before passing judgment on the entire American Idol season.

January 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  168. kathy9209

The first couple seasons were fun and exciting. When the show started to make money everything became too rehearsed and phoney. Its a shame that todays talented youngsters get caught up in the over-production of what started as a great show. How many talented people are getting lost because this show only cares about the glitz and glamour? They would be better off getting back to the basics of the first season.

January 28, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Karen

I totally agree... Idol isn't exciting this week. You might see one good singer out of a bunch and then it's 15 minutes of commercials. It's like they don't want us to see any of the better or even good singers until later in the competition but we get to see all of the crazies and commercial after commercial.... BORING!!!

January 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  170. DoesItMatter

People,

Quit watching it. It's day is gone. Especially with Ellen acomin'. Simon is smart for leaving! Yay Simon!

January 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Andrew

I agree – I'm severely underwhelmed. As someone who enjoys raw, natural talent, I'm bored to tears. The best thig about last night's show was the Wal-Mart commercial with the clown. My advise: Bring back Kristin Chenoweth; aka: someone with real talent!

January 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Melissa

I can't stand Ellen, so once Hollywood week hits, I won't be watching. My kids and have watched the auditions because there were a couple of the guest judges we wanted to see, but Katy Perry was horrible! The show is definitely not family friendly.

January 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Jason

I can't believe that this show ever made it to Season 2. This show has always been horrible, and people are finally starting to realize it. Send the judges home, send the "talent" home, and fill the time slot with something worth watching.

January 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  174. benswa

I can't believe the number of people who really think they can sing, but actually stink !! It's unreal the Ego's they have. The judges are OK, but it's the same old nutty people. Nobody knocked me out with their singing although I like the program. The Jonas kid was nothing special, I'm not crazy about their singing. Lately, all of the guy groups sound like girls when they sing, there's no base or power to their voices, but, the teenyboppers like them. Actually it's the teenyboppers who really run American Idol. A few of the past winners weren't really that good. Adam definitely should have won. His voice had a lot more control and power than Mr. nice, but boring.

January 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Grace

Please, get Kara off the show. She is annoying as hell. I turn the volume down when she speaks.

January 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  176. scott

They need way less back stories and set ups and more auditions. Last night we got only one audition per commercial break. Pitiful.

January 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Rita

Personally, I think Joe Jonas should have had more time than Neil Patrick Harris.

January 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Harris

JPX,

Yes, your use of the word "worst". It should be "worse".

January 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Jimmy-Joe Jim Bob

Just your spelling, JPX.

January 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  180. wendy

Harris is a Broadway singer/dancer.. i presume that's the expertise he brings to the table. that said...IDOL is a sham compared to what it was when it first started. they really need to put this show out of its misery...and let the young singers make their way like they used to: old fashioned (yes, i'm gonna say it) HARD WORK. *gasp!* what a concept! DONT hand them a record deal on a silver platter...

January 28, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Patrick

Hey, citizenUSA...

They probably picked Neil because he's been in about six Broadway musicals, done song-and-dance numbers on television numerous times, and starred in a musical series that was created by the guy who created "Buffy The Vampire Slayer." He has more musical credibility than any other guest judge they've had this season.

January 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Kelli

I can't wait for Ellen – the good thing about her is that she loves music, like You & I, which brings a fresher less professional opinion to the table.

And good God I hope we don't have another Adam lambert, so over the top, so full of himself. He wasn't real and now he's spotted a bunch of posers.

January 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  183. dennisk

I've been a loyal Idol fan back to the first night I happened across Kelly Clarkson singing Aretha's "Natural Woman." The last two seasons, and last one particularly, the show (including the judges) was so blantant in pimping their favorites (Adam) versus a talent ready for nurturing (Allison) that it became frustrating. The move to four judges was stupid (look at the number of times the show ran over so all four could get face time), and the judges became parodies of themselves.
    I haven't watched an episode yet this season, and don't regret that decision at all. Get your stickin' fork ready, cuz this show is DONE.

January 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  184. irene

i watched idol from the very beginning,i loved it it started last year going down the tube .only adam saved it.this year is a disaster.and withsimon leaving,so will i.

January 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Debra R

You all haven't figured out this show is more prepackaged than the Monkees?

January 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Meagan's Not Foxey

What? people watch this show for the singing? I watch this show to laugh!

January 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  187. remy

American Idol sucks. I refused to watch this crap.

January 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  188. doris

siren4song, I think you missed Neil's introduction. He sings as well. In fact he was the host of 2009 Emmy Award Show, where he was awesome as a host, but he also singed and danced. He has been in Broadway in both musical and dramatic role. When he criticized, he knew what he was talking about.

January 28, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Dee

There was talent at the Dallas auditions? I certainly didn't see any. I liked the NPH vs Simon battle, it was funny. Joe Jonas was there?

January 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  190. JPX

God, is there anything worst than the state of Texas?

January 28, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  191. kellyinpa

I think this year stinks! Simon looks like he'd rather be anywhere else but there and the other judges are just plain BORING! I sure do miss Paula and am sure she is enjoying this year's "success" without her.

January 28, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Mike

THIS SEASON IS A JOKE! The guest judges are horrible. Manufactured pop morons.... Why no seasoned musicians?
    Ellen as a judge? SHES NOT EVEN A MUSICIAN/SINGER!! I know why simon is leaving after this season...he sees the train wreck coming. No one can even remember the name of the winner last year. If it wasn't for Adam Lambert last year, the 2009 year would have been a lackluster mess like this year will be. All good things come to an end. I hope this is the end.

January 28, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Robert Silva

I thought the Dallas auditions went well. I was more impressed than I thought I would be. Neil was very laid back but was a good judge.

January 28, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Meggan

I haven't been impressed with IDOL at all this season. I have always been a big fan, but it seems like they are spending more time in commercials and featuring just a few contestants. Honestly, you only get to hear 4 or 5 of the people that actually make it through. I miss the days when you heard the majority of people. I'm tired of crowd shots, hearing sob story after sob story, and crazy editting that flashes the contestants faces who got through, but you don't hear their voice. I have held on for a few weeks to see if it got better, but I don't think I'm watching anymore.

January 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Shawn

Regardless of how you feel about the Dallas auditions.... "Idol" itself is going (gone) down the tubes. People like stability, something seldom found on the networks nowdays, and Idol is now a prime example of what people don't like about T.V.... instability, changes in judges every few months now, and the judges they come up with are barely mediocre, no spark or electricity in them, just BLAH. And the thought of the one judge that tells the truth (Simon) leaving the show means the show will soon be just horrible. And Ryan Seacrest is so self-abosorbed that its hard to even watch him talk anymore. Now put all of that together, boring judges, self-absorbed announcer, and a karaoke show at best, and you can see why Simon is bouncing out to his other show...nobody wants to be on a sinking ship.

January 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  196. citizenUSA

The guest judge thing is OK but who the hell, and why the hell, did they use Neil Patrick Harris? Is he a professional singer or musician and I don't know that? Has he ever managed or produced a singer? Is acting his only qualification for being a judge? I'd be a better judge because I'll bet I listen to more music than Neil, (who I have nothing against).

January 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Annie

IDOL show has been lousy this year.......quit watching

January 28, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  198. JC Key

I agree...Idol is not good this year so far!

January 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  199. MT

I think there was like 10 minutes of actual show mixed in with 50 minutes of commercials and filler.

January 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  200. siren4song

Get Kara off that show. She is so full of herself. Paula may have been an air head but she was likeable. Excluding Shania, the female guest judges have been rude to say the least.

January 28, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  201. Shelley

Not impressed with much at all so far. Looking forward to Ellen joining the judging table. Hopefully she will be able to make things more entertaining and less boring. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Big, Huge difference since Paula has left. I think Paula being there made it bearable for Simon. No wonder he wants her to join him on American X Factor.

January 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Becky

I think that Katie Perry was off and treated Kara wrong, Kara was trying to make sure she gave some advice on how to improve your self and she dogged the people, it takes alot for people togo out there..She was PLAIN RUDE, please do not get her again.

January 28, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Rick

Are you kidding –
    They ( The Show) Even comented they selected more in Dallas that anywhere else -Plus they had more in day one than they found in LA PERIOD!

January 28, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Robin

I AGREE WITH YOU! IT WAS AWFUL!

January 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |