January 27th, 2010

Tribute video shows happy memories between Jolie, mother

testing captions
testing captions

A home video that has been making the rounds on the Internet of a young Angelina Jolie and brother James Haven spending time with their mother, Marcheline Bertrand, was made by a family friend, not by Jolie herself, her rep confirmed to CNN.

The video was a tribute to Bertrand, in honor of the actress' passing three years ago today from ovarian cancer at the age of 56.

In the two-minute clip, Jolie is seen along with her mother and Haven, dancing and playing in Hawaii as Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's “Somewhere over the Rainbow” plays in the background. The intro message notes how much Bertrand loved Hawaii, adding that “she made many happy memories for her family there.”

It's a surprising glimpse into Jolie's childhood, but the actress has been upfront about how difficult her mother’s death was for her. She talked with Ann Curry on the "Today Show" in May, 2007, about what it was like to move forward after her mother's passing, and told London’s The Evening Standard later that year that her weight loss – which caused some media sources to accuse Jolie of being anorexic – was brought on by dealing with her mother's passing while caring for four children.

Although the video has been made private, check out other tributes to Bertrand here.

Filed under: Angelina Jolie • movies

1. blkbty

@ Ronnie Hill, I couldn't have sumed it up better myself! These people actual have the nerve to judge this woman when they themselves have done absolutely nothing to help another soul.

To those who say she stole brad, GROW UP you can't steal a grown man. It's been five years and the only one they need to answer to is GOD. &

@ Australia, Get help honey.

January 31, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Matt @ OU

I don't care why people do charity work, only that they do it. Reader, it doesn't matter why she helps people, only that she does.

Her charity work doesn't need to touch you, it needs to touch the people who need it.

January 30, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Australia

Losing your mother would be painful and would no doubt leave a big hole in your heart indeed. I feel for Ange in this regard.

Though, the woman Angelina portrays herself to be is not genuine and her "charity work" is a means to thwart her true confused self.

This woman should seek the therapy she needs and be honest with herself rather than keep adopting children and having them biologically.

How can I, as another woman, read her claims that she does not believe in having biological children as there are so many orphaned children in the world and then turn around seduce another woman's husband and then fall pregnant.

She is destructive not only to herself but those around her.

Get the help you need Angelina...once you have found your true self then by all means play the good samaritan and do good for the world. Until then, your charity work do nothing for me and I am no way inspired or touched by what you do....how pretentious.

Let the real women of the world do their charity work in good faith, honesty and genuineness.

January 29, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ronnie hill

Anyone that would come to this site to insult someone who was honoring their mother that was lost to cancer is evil. watch your lives count your blessing's how dare you judge like this have you people ever given anything close to what Angie has or Time/ money/Physical labor. what do you know of the love the children have recived personally?you pig's those kid's have everything they need.their parent's are teaching them plenty of positive life lesson's nobody's perfect are any of you ? maybe we all could be a better if we did half!! Cancer is not a conversation to interrupt with evil and discting behavior

January 29, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Alabama

My only problem with Angelina is the fact that she went to another country to adopt when we have children in our own country that need a good home just as well. Don't quite understand why so many celebrities feel the need to rescue another country.

January 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. alumette

With all the help they have available, it is likely doable to have quality time with the kids and time for their busy personal lives. I think however, they need to stop now expanding their family. Six is enough in my opinion. They can always do what Oprah did: open a school....send your money to feed and educate kids while leaving them in their roots. There comes a time when too many kids in one home, no matter the size creates chaos and neglect. Look at octomom. The look in these babies eyes is sadness and confusion. I see no joy or love. No time for that. She mechanically tosses them around like rags. If she kisses them, there is no substance. It is heartbreaking.

January 29, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. Aisha

Brenda Reed,

I am the second oldest of 6 six children (oldest and youngest siblings are 13 years apart). Children born to small families tend not to understand how a parent can commit time and energy to all of their children, but I am happy to say that they can and do. Our parents were able to look after and guide us, deal with different serious health issues for two of their children, handle different meals for the children with multiple food allergies and not one (of us) believes we were neglected. Parents with many children do find the time to parent and guide their children; they develop exellent time managment skills and have a great deal of patience, and the children have instant playmates! My sisters, brother and I worked our way through universities and colleges are now in our 30s and 40s and have never been in trouble with the law; have never really gotten into any kind of trouble for that matter. Sometimes large families do succeed.

January 28, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Reader

The loss of a parent is tough and understandable that Angelina suffered weight loss during the time after ..... great video and wishing her the best in dealing with that loss as would any one ..... wouldn't go so far as to say that Angelina and Brad are 'adorable' (the kids are but aren't pretty much all kids) ...Brad isn't all that and neither is she...the fact the Brad NEVER married her says something – she'll do to him what he did to Jennifer .... it's expected – cheaters/liars cheat and lie .... lost respect for both of them – just waiting for the split

January 28, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. etireri odiri

How I love Jolie N Brad.adopting kids just a big deal,caring for kids who're in need indeed is a great deal.

January 28, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Brenda Reed

I really wonder how the Super Star would contend with a regular breakfast, for instance. Who wants oatmeal - sugar or not; milk or not? Eggs? Scrambled? How many? One toast or two? Buttered or not?

Somehow, I just cannot see it. Now, I know that she has plenty of help to give aid to the children, but where is that real "mother" factor? Am I the only one who sees something missing in this picture? A star can adopt any number of children - and God bless her, if she is saving them from starvation (although I do not believe that was the case). But, after all, she is a star, and she simply does not have enough hours in the day to really "mother" these children. Not to mention her own natural children - they just get lost in the mix. Is this sort of thing an act of grace or is it an act of self-gratification? Obviously, by now, you know MY answer.

January 28, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. Aloha Tita

Nice Videos !!
    Angelina's parents are both great looking. No wonder she look stunning.
    I think Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and their children are so adorable .
    How I wish I'd be able to meet with them for even just couple minutes when they come to Hawaii. I would love to teach the kids how to dance the hula.
    Both of our kids are adopted , so I know how it feel to have their love
    and to love them more than any one would ever know.

January 27, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |