January 27th, 2010

‘Idol’ hits La-La Land

testing captions
testing captions

Oh Los Angeles auditions, where do I even begin?

You knew it was going to be nutty when guest judge Avril Lavigne showed up in a hoodie with devil horns.

I felt sorry for the sweaty, verbal tic mess that was 19-year-old Neil Goldstein (whose hair length kept switching in his scenes), but couldn’t help but feel that the aspiring actors were out in full force thanks to 26-year-old “martial artist/sandwich maker” Damien Lefavor.

I would have much preferred to see more of the actually talented singers like Andrew Garcia, 23, whose version of Maroon 5’s “Sunday Morning” made me swoon. I look forward to seeing more of him and personal assistant/minister Tasha Layton (does everyone in L.A. have multiple gigs going on?)

I had been waiting for the “Adam Lambert syndrome” to kick in and A.J. Mendoza didn’t disappoint. Not only did the 20-year-old look and speak like the Lambert’s little brother, but his overwrought version of “Cult of Personality” seemed almost a parody of last season’s runner-up.

And was it just me or was guest judge Katy Perry super-annoying? I enjoy a liberal dose of snarkiness as much as the next person, but she just got to be too much.

My favorite moment of the night was Ryan Seacrest’s nod to the “is he or isn’t he” rumors out there when Jason Greene, 21, offered the “Idol” host his phone number after Greene’s over the top version of Divinyls “I Touch Myself.” It could have been completely staged, but I still found it amusing.

1. lw

One thing that I think Idol needs to do to make the show ratings better is to get better guest judges..Avril..really.
    She was sooo unprofessional I was embarassed for them. She snickered at people like a little school girl. Fun fact I've heard she sucks live anyways so I think she probably has no room to talk. She is a has been. Katy Perry wasn't as bad as though I thought she was extremely unhelpful as far as constructive critiscim. Even if people are saying they think she's funny, yeah you can be funny but you should also be helping the contestants get better as a professional.
    I also think it's stupid that people are saying this season sucks..I think before you start saying the season sucks you should probably wait and actually watch the season first. As for judging Ellen before she's got a chance to show us what it'll be like is totally unfair...AND as for the whole Simon not being on the show..yeah that doesn't sound good but people need to learn to wait and see how things turn out before saying ohh the shows going to suck.

January 28, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marg Evans

Who was the creep with the hoodie and the horns? Evil girl!!

So smug, and thinking she had the right to pontificate to the potential singers/stars. Many of them had more talent in their little fingers than she had in her whole body. PLEASE do not put this ego ridden evil girl on anymore. She did not say anything worth listening to. Don't waste our time with judges like this.

January 28, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tom White

American Idol died after last season ended. Kara is horrible and she just doesn't have what it takes to stand in for Paula. And now Ellen? C'mon.

Simon is leaving and that just finalizes the death of AI.

And I heard a rumor that Rosi might step in. Now were really getting trashy. Imagin Kara, Ellen and Rosie? Why not just call it The AI view?

RIP

January 28, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Elisa

Katy was snarky bordering on rude, but Avril was just an annoying brat. Who takes her seriously enough to invite her on as a judge? I know AI likes to appeal to a wide demographic, but come on– even my tween niece was talking about how horribly childish she was acting. And the horned hoodie? PLEASE.

January 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GC

Katy had an opinion? I didn’t notice I was watching her cleavage! I actually thought she was honest like Simon, and most people think that is being rude. Glad to see she has a mind of her own unlike Kara.

January 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AB

Avril and Katy were disgusting! Someone said it best: if either one of them had been auditioning, it is almost certain they wouldn't have made the cut! They are trashy, rude brats, and the show should never have let them guest judge. Avril's horned shirt was the most ridiculous thing I've seen yet (and that includes the auditioners). How old is she anyway? 13??

January 28, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SaJuan

I agree with Jean. The best judge so far has been Shania Twain. What/why was Avril L. even on there... she did nothing but doodle from the shots that I saw of her. Wow! Couldn't they have found someone more attentive?!

January 28, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. QT

As bad as Avril and Katy were, I'm glad they were on; we got to see a side of them that revealed how trashy they are. Have people forgotten the Golden Rule?

January 28, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. alt

both judges were not up to snuff. Please chose someone who knows a real talent. judges should give opportunities to deserving ones and not judge them on what's going on with their lives as you never know who might step up to help them out in their times of need... both judges are just trying to butter their own bread for be popular...

January 28, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. betty

Avril Lavigne and Katy Perry were both snobish and rude. Giving advice and criticism is great but the remarks they made were just rude. They are not 'all that' like they believe they are.

January 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fritz Ehorn

What is funny is that I could have my 12 year old daughter and her friends give better advice to these aspiring singers than Avril (who) oh Lavigne or something like that. As she sat there in her throne laughing at these people while she played with her horns. It was actually sad to watch. Then comes Katy nobody Perry. Offered nothing.Proves Simon Cowell sure can pick em. Criticism, I do not think she can even spell the word. The show is about finding the Diamond in the rough, not inexperienced judges that Simon would like to shag.

January 27, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zain

Singer of the new generation! The audio nmeipqeut do their job! Live and sorry to hear your voice. Do not make singers like that lady, rihana, shakira, avril lavigne . Katy so beautiful and with a voice unbearable!

March 17, 2012 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sara

Both Avril and Katy were TERRIBLE!!! Rude, immature, brats. Ugh! Worst Idol Auditions yet!

I am really liking Kara this season... she knows what she is talking about and is actually very funny. Shania so far has been the best guest judge and I actually thought Posh did a good job... much nicer and more down to earth than I expected!

January 27, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scott H.

The only reason that Avril and Katy were on there was because Proactiv paid AI for them to be there. It's all about the money.

January 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gina

Katy was her usual rude, unfunny, unkind self. Kara may not be the best thing to hit AI, but I admired her restraint amidst such nastiness. Katy may have had some good points (like not putting people through just because you feel sorry for them or because they have a "good story"), but she fails to realize that you can get your point across without being vile. And what was with the clown makeup? Avril may have been boring and just a space filler but at least she wasn't nasty and distractingly made up.

January 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike

The only reason Avril was on is because she hasn't done anything worth, well anything recently and needed to get her name out there. Didn't like her... Katy Perry is the same thing, she's trying not to be two hit wonder status but last night they both went about it all wrong. No real criticism just attitude. Shania and Kristin have been the best guest judges to date.

January 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Andrew

I liked Katy because she made fun of Kara...Kara is a waste on that show...

January 27, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Vera Waitress

When are people going to learn, the PRODUCERS pick the contestants, and the JUDGES merely give their opinions.

January 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. reality

Waa- Katy Perry is tired of Idols sob stories too. Waaaaa she's mean to Kara who's trying too hard to be like nice Paula. Waaaaaaaaa Shania "washed up" Twain was the best judge because she is pretty & nice & smells like flowers.

Katy Perry was the first honest judge up there. Sorry, it is a singing competition. I don't care if you're adopted, your wife died, your cat ran away. Can you sing? Yes or no.

Half of Idol watchers were chanting "throw the Coke in her face" yesterday!

January 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Vera Waitress

Seriously? You're judging these people like Avril on the final edited episode alone? Do you know that there are scores of hours of footage to choose from, and how the judges are portrayed in the final edited 1 hr. episode is the editor's and producer's pure whim?

January 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. vinnys mom

I LOVED Katy Perry! I don't think she really had anything insightful to say to the contestants, but anyone who knocks Kara down a peg or 2 is A-OK in my book!

January 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joe Schmoe

To the person who thinks overweight cats are entertaining: I do animal rescue work and over weight animals are very high risk for all kinds of disease, not to mention they are overlooked and always euthanized in shelters because they are not sleek. They are victims of stupid humans who are irresponsible animal guardians who over feed these sweet creatures. As for Idol, didn't even waste my time watching last night – 2 years was enough for me, and based on the comments, sounds like it was a new low.......

January 27, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Nicole

I think last night's show was the worst so far. I found it really boring, not that many good contestants. But really they have to show some bad ones, only 20 something went through over the course of two days, think of how many people didn't make it. I didn't like Avril, she didn't really add anything. I don't think it is her business to decide if a contestant can juggle AI & family life. And she looked very unprofessional dressed in that stupid hoodie.

However I found Katy very funny. It's true about the contestant's stories. What do they have to do with them making it or not. I don't think anyone should get special treatment, I didn't think he was that good, and I'm sure he wont survive "hell week" I also find Kara very annoying & I thought it was funny that Katy didn't want to be buddy buddy with her since Kara thinks she needs to be best friends with all the guest judges. It's nice to see someone with their own opinion.

January 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. whatthehellever

I agree. Last nights Idol was one of the worst ever. To be "guest" judges, Avril and Katy seemed very quick to take over and nothing they said made much sense. They were too busy being stars and cutsey. Shania was the best!

January 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Michael

As someone who never misses an Idol show, I feel this one was THE LOW POINT of all their shows. They spent most of the hour on back stories of absolutely terrible singers! If you're going to go to all this trouble to do an in-depth back story, at least have it be about someone who can sing, who we'll see again! I wish the Idol producers could read these comments we are all making and realize that we want MORE SINGING and LESS BABEL! After all, isn't it supposed to be a singing show? After last night, I'm not so sure anymore. I can't wait until these auditions are over and we get to the singing part! Avril, I don't know who you are, but you have no right to judge someone on whether or not you think they can juggle their life. A lot of very busy people with jobs and families have been finalists and found time to do it. Judge them on their singing, not on anything else!

January 27, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jeena

I felt sorry for the unfortunate contestants who had to sing for the undecisive, unprofessional judges (Lavigne and Paty, of course) who did not seem to know what they were doing. I didn't trust the judgment of these two.

January 27, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. MARC

IDOL's SIMON is highly entertaining and thought provoking. I must say though that most of the time, I face the challenge of trying to motivate myself to stay tuned. The judging is totally unfair and depreciative. The judges support the challenged and afflicted, and downgrade any contestant who has no charisma (manly or boobly). It is no secret that I DULL judges, Randy and Kara, exercise a reward/punishment approach. These judges reward the contestant if he or she has a SAD SOB GUTS SPILLING story to reveal (sickness, jail, homeless). On the other hand they punish the singers who have the courage and determination to stand there in front of these 3 or 4 POP-TARTS judge and sing their guts outs. Doing their best is the best the contestants can do. That's all. They do their best. TV Viewers are not stupid. This reward/punishment system does not work and a better approach needs to be found for this last season of I DULL. This is my last comment for the day. I must say that I too use this reward/punishment approach: watching I DULL is a punishment however, I reward myself with a full glass of brandy! CHEERS!

January 27, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mich

I was so embarassed for both kate and Avril L. What the hell was Idol thinking, when they invited these two to be judges; was there choices limited?. They have shown us that they're so immature to the business.
    Who is Avril, to tell a contestant "No' because of his family /work status...how dare u!!!!. If Idol continues to invite these ammatures to be judges, they're surely setting themselve up for a finale....I totally di dnot enjoy watching the show last night because of these two "idiots"...Bummerrrr

January 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. llm

I agree with John. I think he said it best:

Katy Perry was a rude, arrogant brat and Kara should have busted her up.

I also agree Shania was the best guest judge.

Overall the show sucked.!! Let's see some good singing!!

January 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ginger

Totally agree that was the worst night of Idol.... Avril and Katy both so cocky and immature. I hope they never ask them back. I hope we get to see some good talent tonight.

January 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sarah

Kathy who? Who ever she is, she needs to get over herself. In a few years she will be yesterday's news and will beg one of these guys whom she critisized (and who will be famous by then) to get a gig. Dumb chick.

January 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Leslie

No Talent had a lot to contribute "verbal wise", but nothing "talent wise." These two girls, and I am putting that lightly have a ton to say but when you look at their careers, the paths that they have chosen...they need to stand infront of the judges and prove why they are where they are today!
    Katy, honey, I'm not sure if you wore enough makeup! Going for that natural look I see.

January 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. kaitlin

hmmmm do i care? NO! Why did i read this? to laugh at the people that did.

January 27, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Beth

Idol will lose viewers if they continue to have guest judges like Avril and Katy who were so rude and acted so stupid! I would like to see more good singers and less of the wierd costumed wanabees that can't carry a tune (how'd they get through in the first place!). Face it...when Simon leave this show will bite the dust!

January 27, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Beth

January 27, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. asdfjkl;

Katy Perry was hilarious. Kara is annoying.

January 27, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  36. chris

I have no problem with saying no to a guy thats a pastor of a church and has 3 young children to take care of. being a pastor and a parent are both a full time job..

January 27, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Lacey

Of course Katy Perry is a brat. Why isn't anyone mentioning that Talentless Perry is famous because of HER DAD?!

January 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  38. BDog

Katy Perry can freakin sing though.... she's got an amazing powerful voice. + she's freakin hot.

January 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Linda

I'm chiming in from the "women of a certain age" category. Not only does that make me wise, but fearless about my comments. Both Avril and Katy are snotty little girls who, because someone out there thinks they are talented, got breaks that otherwise would have never come their way. The notion that they are experts on what is good singing is absurd, and not only because neither of them have accomplished good singing. And, tip to Avril: it's none of your business whether someone can handle a real life and a music career both at the same time. Did anyone ask you whether you could manage a "singing" career and being a stupid girl all at the same time? Seriously, guest judges are a good idea but please put someone on there who has ACCOMPLISHED something relating to singing besides the pop-tart du jour, and make it a rule that the rude and snarky laughing and wierd faces are prohibited! Those girls need to remember where they came from and try a little humility.

January 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Michelle

I agree that Katy Perry was awful. She was a genuine stuck-up biatch!
    And Avril Lavigne acted and looked like a snotty brat! I thought it was terrible that she didn't want to let the pastor move forward because of church and family. He is an adult and can decide for himself what he can and cannot do with his life. He is more of an adult than Avril for sure!

I would rather have no guest judges on the show if this is what we get!

January 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  41. MARC

I am told that SIMON is best known for his elegant "smile," highly polished polychromed rectilinear 'mind" that has often been described as the perfect resolution between sugar and dung. I am also told that IDOL has merits for exploring not only physical appearance but the spaces within the human mind of the contestants. It is evident that the judges use in-depth analysis which often prompts us, the viewers, to get to the roots of pathological mental states. Watching IDOL force us to journey through the dark to find the light, with no circumventing short cuts possible. Polychromed or monochromed Kara's think tanks are worth watching. Are they?

January 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lisa

Maybe Ellen will be the one to pull the show out of an ongoing rut!?!?

January 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Lisa

I didn't get to catch the show last night, but I did see when Mary J. was on and she was rude as hell! There is a difference in constructive criticism and just flat out rudeness. The show really has gone way down hill....

January 27, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Carolyn

I get the idea of the guest judges, but maybe keep it to people how have been in the business for a while and can be constructive! Since you hardly heard anything Katy Perry said, I get the feeling most of her comments were cut out, as for Avril, really she just looked like she had no clue that she was judging, more like she was a viewer from home with a really good seat! Hey, there's an idea, get real people to be guest judges, after all we know what we want to see and hear!!! Really couldn't be much worse!

January 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Steve H

Have to weigh in and say that Katy P and Avril L are lacking some much needed maturity, at least Avril was looking to be funny. Katy was just down right rude and mean spirited-no entertainment there.
    Fortunately their time in the limelight is about done.

January 27, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Alicia

I like Katy Perry, but what does Avril Lavigne know about singing? She's one of the most awful live singers I've ever heard. C'mon Idol! You could have your pick of ANY guest judges and you picked Avril F'n Lavigne?!?!

January 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  47. MARC

The IDOL show seems to be about a stream of the various artists’ anarchic consciousness, but without real poetic or spiritual input and seems to offer little profundity. Maybe it is not its purpose. WOOOPS!

January 27, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  48. cbb

I am so glad that last night Katy was guest judge! Seriously Kara and Randy are not good judges, they should not judge contestants based on their stories! Next time everyone wants to bring a story to AI to get to Hollywood! And personally I cannot stand Kara For a LOoooooooooooooong time, she is so annoying, and give comments that do not make sense.....Paula gave comments that do not make sense but funny :P But Kara is plain annoying. And I am glad Katy stepped up this time and tell the truth. Seriously people need to start pretend to be feel empathy on AI, look at how many people think they can sing in the show, this is because everyone tries to be nice to them and tell them lies that they can sing so they are not put down. And for judges to do that, it is even worse!

January 27, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  49. yclept

Well, Katy Perry was right; this isn't the Lifetime Movie of the Week. It is quite possible that Katy is more interested in the talent than the story. And the guy's talent, though good, wasn't earth shattering.

The stories may add to the show as a whole, but Katy doesn't and shouldn't care about that. It's not her show, afterall – she's there to judge the talent, not the story.

Avril was a bit obnoxious and over the top; but I found Katy to be more refreshing than annoying.

And regardless of what I think about either of them, knocking their musical talent is a bit weird, as both of them are talented performers.

January 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  50. MARC

Rename Idol to I suck! Come-on Simon, cover those hairy arms. Grow up. Get passed puberty. Let's all boycott IDOL. I DO!

January 27, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Holly Allcock

All I can say is "Can I please get back the hour of my life that was wasted watching American Idol last night?" Maybe the people auditioning would have done better if they could have concentrated more on their singing and not on Katy Perry's breasts or Avril's devil horns!!!

January 27, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Richard Z

Avril was terrible. Katy was not nearly as annoying as the article and some commenters claim. In fact, Dioguardi is the most annoying of the judges, followed by Jackson. The heat is on Jackson for runner up in this one because I fear Degeneres will give Dioguardi a run for her money. Once Ellen joins, I will no longer be watching. Not that it mattered anyway, with Simon being the only worthwhile judge, this would have been the last season anyway with his announced departure.

January 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  53. deb

LaLa – I couldn't agree with you more! You hit the nail on the head with your comments. I'm sick of all the reality shows where anything goes! What happened to class, compassion, discretion. No one seems to teach their children the old golden rule any longer..."treat others as you would have them treat you"...and it shows big time in our society.

January 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  54. GC

If you haven’t been told this LaLa the majority of contestants try to act as outrageous as possible not with the hopes of making it on American Idol, but just to make it on TV. So with that I have no problem with the judges making fun of these knuckleheads.

January 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  55. heather

Avril is making judgment calls about other people and their ability to juggle? Didn't her marriage just fail? Isn't she having a hard time herself? By the way, it is time to grow up little girl. Get the horns off your head, and work on your own personal life before you start attacking others about theirs.

January 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Roe

A. I. should do away with "guest judges" and let the judging up to Simon, Randy and Kara....PERIOD! Perhaps the viewers would see more talent than watching the bickering.

January 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Kathie

Katy should stick on being a singer. She's not even legendary yet and she acts like she's been in the biz forever.

January 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Vickie

The audtions this year have not been as good as in past years, IMO. The AJ last night, who thought he was in the same class as Adam was just crazy. He in no way compares to Adam's talent. There has never been and never will be a contestant as captivating as Adam Lambert...... Love seeing some of the photos from last year of him.......

January 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  59. John

Avril was a snotty little brat that never should have been on in the first place. She added no value and was barely coherent in any comment she made. I agree with everyone else that she had no business telling someone no for any reason other than their singing ability. Whatever else happens in their lives is their business and for them to work out if they want the career.
    Katy Perry was a rude, arrogant brat and Kara should have busted her up.
    I also agree Shania was the best guest judge.
    Overall the show sucked. They spent way too much time on the bad performers, unlike earlier episodes where they seemed to have gotten over that, and backstories that were way too long. Let's see some good singing!

January 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  60. LaLa

Since when did American Idol become a platform to make fun of people just trying to chase their dream?? Sad that we are showing our kids that its OK to make fun of one another, no wonder there is so much bullying today.

January 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Denise

Didn't watch it. So glad!

January 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  62. GC

Why do sooooo many people get upset with judges that are honest? Katy was spot on with her assessments. It is Kara that is the joke. She doesn’t have a mind of her own as she has to repeat what the other judges have already stated. Have a drinking game and take a drink every time Kara says 110 percent and you won’t be sober by the end of the show. By the way, Katy is incredibly hot, Avril was a joke.

January 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  63. DD

Avril was a snot nosed brat with not one piece of good advise. She needs to get over herself.

January 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Mike

Avril and Katy were both good. Obviously many people liked or disliked them, but that's always good for ratings and entertainment value. At least they have talent and weren't boring. My only issue is I wish they would air more of the guest comments and spend less time on the nutjobs. They'll give a horrible singer 10 minutes of air time and won't give a second to the good singers that we'll never end up hearing unless they make the top 10.

Always good to see Canadian talent represented (Shania & Avril).

January 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Michelle

The first week of idol was great but last week and so far this week has been horrible. I thought that Avril and Katy were horrible, rude, mean, and obnoxious. There was no kindness in them whatsoever. They acted like they didn't want to even be there. I really do hope the show gets better...cuz so far it sucksssss!

January 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Nancy

I thought Katy Perry was terribly rude – to the performers and the judges. It didn't matter what the contestant did, Katy did the exact opposite of Cara- just to piss her off. She was just too over the top OBNOXIOUS. And Avril Lavigne-what the h-? She just looked and sounded stupid becasue of her arrogance.

January 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Becky

Hm, I'm clearly in the minority here, b/c I really enjoyed Katy Perry. But, I hate Kara, so that played a part, I'm sure.

January 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Melissa

I don't mind the rudeness from Katy Perry or Avril Lavigne. I thought it was amusing. And honestly the contestants should know by now that they will be put through the ringer. Frankly its incredibly childish to get upset when they KNOW what coming when Simon is in the room. Its been 8 years. People need to get over it already. I actually agree with Avril about the guy and his family, he obviously wasn't prepared for what may come.

January 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hakan

after a hurricane fgeort red cross! look at the beautiful rainbow, let's go find a pot of gold look at all the colors, i have nowhere to sleep tonight, i can't find my wife, but the rainbow!! people at katrina: seriously no water for us! look at the colorsLMFAO!! JAJAJA

March 17, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  69. Hannah

Not that impressed with last night's show. I lost a little respect for Avril. She kin of acted like a junior higher, giggling at everything and wearing a horned hoodie. And Katy Perry's tactless behaviour was very disappointing. However, it was refreshing to hear her say that she wasn't going to let someone through simply because she pitied them. It was a nice change to have someone looking purely at talent. Still unacceptable behaviour though!

January 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Steve

American Idol is a big joke this year. Katy Perry, Avril Lavigne, and Victoria Beckham all need to get a life. Talk about three losers. I know that the American Idol Producers already knows this but they're trying to get the audience to react to these bad choices for judges on the show. Simon Cowell is so smart to be leaving the show and Paula Abdul is brilliant to not even appear this year on the show. If I was Simon and Randy, I would be so embarrass to even be seen on the show with these bad judges. These bad judges should be thrown right in there with the bad contestants on the show.

January 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Ellen

I never EVER take the time to comment on any website HOWEVER my family looks so forward to AI everyweek. We are diehard fans. It's when our entire family puts the dishes away and has homework done. Even Simon Cowell has never made my skin crawl the way KATY PERRY did last night. Even my children said that they would never listen to or support her music career again. Ms. Perry should know that Kara DioGuardi is a Duke graduate and a mastermind behind many many famous songs written. KATY...YOU ARE NO MATCH FOR KARA AND YOUR CAREER WILL BE SHORT LIVED AFTER YOUR SICK STINT LAST NIGHT. YOU SHOULD TRY SOME QUICK DAMAGE CONTROL BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

January 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  72. gtaguy

Whats with Avril and Katy Perry... Are they trying to impress Simon that they can replace him when hes gone next year..
    The both looked like real mean b%tch@s.
    Both acted quite ignorant and childish. Is that what they want to seem like to the general public. My view of both is now tainted.
    NEVER forget you both were in the same position like all these people that are auditioning for american idol.. No heart and no compassion...

January 27, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Amber

I, too, wasn't a big fan of the guest judges. I have to admit being a little embarrassed being part of the 20-something women group they're in. We're not all bratty know-it-alls! I didn't feel like they had an ounce of appreciation for being a guest judge. Maybe being young pop stars themselves, they feel threatened by the potential new talent (whether they realize it or not) and just can't be gracious toward them like someone established like Shania and Mary-J can be.

January 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Garnet

If you'll notice, this season is devoted to the judges. rather than the contestants. They get way more screen time.

January 27, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  75. RS1981

My mom watched it last night, and she told me she couldn't believe how rude Katy Perry was to Kara. She told me of this one guy that was singing was told by Kara that he had a good voice and a good story (the man had been in foster care for most of his life), and Katy had told her that it wasn't the Lifetime Movie of the week. I thought that was rather rude myself. No need to have said that, just because Kara had been touched by this guy's story.

January 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Russ

whatever guys.

I thought Katy was the best way she could be. up front and direct. no pussy footing around here.

January 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  77. eX-sInGeR

Katy Perry looked fantastic, yum! Avril Lavigne looked and acted ridiculous. Her comment about whether the pastor could do Idol and his pastoral duties was rude and out of place, but so be it. I have found the audition shows this year to be particularly awful. I believe the final 24 have already been selected based on the profile pieces with back stories, etc. The show is looking a bit tired, and with Cowell leaving, I wouldn't be surprised if Season 9 were the last one.

January 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. POO

Idol is still lame and needs to be taken off the air.

January 27, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Char

I did not see the Avril part of the show but I did see Katy Perry. She was a sarcastic, obnoxious brat! I will never listen to her music again!

January 27, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  80. SJ

WORST episode YET!!!! BOTH guest judges should never have been allowed to sit at the table!! Such rudeness, arrogance and downright snotty!!! And who the h- is that Katy person??? Ugly and Never heard of her, but do know she is a "B" and never want to see her or uppity Avril again!! And F.Y.I. you stupid Avril....it's NOT up to you to determine if a person can "juggle" so many professions, you were only there to give your opinion (and you have none except negative ones) as to whether or not they should make it to the next round!Shania was wonderful as a Guest Judge! I turned this off before it was over ...first time since the show started that I've done that and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

January 27, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Jon in phx

AI totally sucks this year. And next year it will D-I-E without Simon. You heard it here first folks.

January 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Jack

No talent since Kelly Clarkson? What about Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson? Granted Chris and Jennifer weren't winners, but all 3 have made great careers for themselves in their respective genres.

January 27, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Gabrius

Avril was a million times worse than Katy. Immature and egotistical, which is kind of ironic, because I believe that if she was on the other side of the judge's table, she wouldn't have made it to Hollywood either.

January 27, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  84. kei

Idol has really went down the auditions have become nothing more than a display of talentless dorks just trying to be on TV! I have yet to see any talent come close to any of the previous winners from Kelly Clarkson down! This show is becoming a mess.

January 27, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Caleb Bowlin

Seriuosly, all this celebrity stuff is lame. People need to grow up.

January 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Nikki

hmmm....

January 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Nikki

Okay, okay. First of all I think Mrs. Lavegne and Mrs. Perry were a little stuck up and full of themselves, but that gives nobody the right to talk bad about their careers, voices, or what they where. In case anybody didn't know that little act of theirs is all set up. They get paid to be a guest judge on there! Now the people that come in acting all crazy and wearing goofy costumes deserve to get critisized like that, but again it's all an act. One of my friends went on idol and this is what happens: go in, fill out application, audition (you either get cut there or get to go through to the next pannel of judges) , wait, audition again (you either get cut there, if not then you audition infront of randy and the rest of the gang) , if you made it past both pannels of judges then you wait, and then finally go audition for randy and the gang. So they let people go audition in front of the real judges even if they know they have suckish voices and even though katy and avril should have gave some tips to those people I still think thats no reason to hate on them. People go in there and say "Oh I can handel whatever the judges have to dish out!" and then when they go in there and they get denied they either whine about it or throw a major tantrum and have to be escorted out. So most of its all just a big set up.

January 27, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  88. stacy

I agree the two guest judges were rude, nasty, and took it somewhere it didn't need to go. Is it because they are young and arrogant or what? I think Shania was the best as well. I actually love Cara. She seems to have a heart most of the time.

January 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Joanne

Who's Kate Perry?

January 27, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  90. pattiboo

IF Idol keeps putting guest judges with attitudes on like Mary J, Avril Levine and Katy Perry they won't have to worry about Simon leaving! No one will be auditioning or watching this show. Judges behaving badly with nothing constructive to say to the contestants. It was very disrespectful and unprofessional. Won't listen to any of these ladies music anymore.
    I say don't show up and try out for this show next season boycott it! Try out for Simon's new one or America's Got Talent..

January 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Debbie

I agree, last nights Idol was one of the worst. We only saw a handful of singers out of over 10,000 people. I am really tired of the story lines and want to see more auditions. In the first 15 minutes, we only saw two. I hope Idol staff reads, pays attention to comments and makes changes for next year. I also hope they do a better job of screening what we see. I to am tired of the costumes, attitudes and contestants that are not appropriate for family entertainment.

January 27, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Mike

Avril is a joke, she said no simply because he was a religion man, which is everything she stands against.

January 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Marta

I thought Avril Lavigne and Katy Perry stunk as judges. They were both rude and obnoxious. I also thought they were both very immature.

January 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Sumr

it appeared as if Katy Perry was trying to take over the judge table... and knock kara right off her chair. glad she was just a guest judge, she had a bad attitude...

January 27, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  95. Ester

Idol is such a joke nowadays. And Simon is like "daed man walking" now that he's going to his own show. If you want real entertainment, go see pictures of overweight cats.

Now THAT's entertainment!

January 27, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  96. Lvit2Bieber

I too would rather see more of the good than the bad, my cringe factor was up by 10 in LA. As to the judges, what was the point of Avril Lavigne other than her juvinile modeling of the horned hoodie? Katy Perry at least didn't look and act like a vengeful tween!!

January 27, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  97. Bree

katy perry acted like a stuck-up byotch :)
    she was totally rude to almost every singer
    she has no room to talk because she absolutly sucks live and she needs all the high teck equiptment to help her voice and make it somewhat decent.

January 27, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  98. Becke B

Katy Perry came off as a brat. It is a strange day for television when Simon is the nice one. Please get seasoned singers/performers as guest judges.

January 27, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  99. diana

Avril was the joke. Since when is a person's family status (kids) and employment (pastor) cause for a 'no'?? She came off as a smug little know-it-all at the ripe old age of 24 or whatever she is. I was shocked that Kara even went along with that at all.

Probably the worst hour of Idol I've seen.

January 27, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  100. Sheila

Avril Lavigne had no right to say no to the minister guy because winning would be "too hard" on his career or family...he was almost passed up because of it...let`s stick to judging on talent and less on what might be good for someone if they become famous...and yeah, I`ll never watch another show if either Lavigne or Katy Perry is on it.

January 27, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  101. Jan

I'm with you Jean...Shania was the best guest. Last night both guest judges were terrible & added nothing to the show. I'm not sure about Ellen but I'm willing to give her a chance...and I'm ready to see some people on stage with a bit of talent!

January 27, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  102. BH

I thought that both guest judges were a little on the flipant side. I think fame has gotten to them both.

The comment by Avril about the one contestant being able to juggle all the things in his life... not her choice to make. Was he good enough to go through or not? Yes or No? If yes, put him through and see how he does, don't hold him back because he has too many things going on in his life.

I agree with Jean about Shania, but I would add that Krisin Chenoweth was great too!

January 27, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  103. Johnny

Katy Perry was looking nice but after seeing her with all that make up on...I would wonder what it would be like without it..YIKES...I didn't mind Katy until last nights show...She was really really SNOOTY...There is another word for her but I can't say that here...

As far as the talent goes, I liked the guy who's parents moved him outta compton to have a better life..He was good...The pastor wasn't bad either...

January 27, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  104. abby

Avril Lavigne was awful. Very childish

January 27, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  105. jean

Katy Perry was annoying and the biggest joke of the show.
    She came with an agenda and never gave any good advice to the singers and she has no room to talk, she is a manufactured act with a short career and nothing to back up her talk.

By far the best Judge was the beautiful and talented and classy Shania Twain. She came prepared and she was smart and funny and had a good balance.Plus Shania has the success to back up her advice and was never rude to the singers.

I guess now adays little kids like shock value and rude nobodies like Katy Perry.

January 27, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |