January 26th, 2010

Fab from Milli Vanilli speaks on authenticity and the music industry

testing captions
testing captions

Former Milli Vanilli singer Fabrice Morvan is probably the last person you'd expect to criticize the "authenticity" of today's music.

“It’s not about being authentic anymore, it’s about being entertaining,” he told USA Today. Morvan added that he and fellow Vanilli member Rob Pilatus were "scapegoats" in the whole lip-syncing controversy.

Back in 1990, after winning the Grammy award for best new artist, the group and then producer Frank Farian admitted that the pair weren't actually singing on their Grammy-winning album, which caused The Recording Academy to strip them of the honor.

Twenty years later, though, “what we were crucified for you see everywhere,” Morvan said in the interview.

It’s true. Britney Spears was called out by the Australian press for lip-syncing during her “Circus” tour in 2009. Her promoter said the lip-syncing part of the act was well known, since she dances her way through the performance. All Spears said in response was that she came to Australia for her fans, not for the critics.

When USA Today went to The Recording Academy to hear their side of the infamous incident, they had no comment. They did, however, assure viewers that there won’t be any lip-syncing at the Grammy’s this Sunday – every single performance will be sung live.

Filed under: Music

1. Maleiahj Ibukiv

I like your writing style really loving this website. "To him who is in fear everything rustles." by Sophocles.

July 16, 2012 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. Hartley Services Septic Tank Emptying

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful info specifically the final section :) I handle such information much. I used to be looking for this particular information for a very long time. Thanks and good luck.

April 11, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hellenparis

The incense in temples is miasmic and pilgrims clock on lone after the other.
    herve leger alberta ferretti bridal marc jacobs dress gossip girl

February 21, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. Hellenparis

With Xinjiang Mifu (The Principles of Xinjiang), the prime in Kun Shi
    catherine malandrino green dress alice olivia sequin keyhole dressherve leger salembt shoes store locator michael kors dresses 2009

January 15, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Becky

OK, I just remebered the name of the group they were in before Milli Vanilli. It was called Empire Bizarre.

July 3, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rebecca

The thing is, Fab DOES sing now so I believe he does have the right to give his opinion about the current state of the music industry. By the way, I had forgotten all about this until now, but Rob and Fab were members of another group in Germany before they performed in Milli Vanilli. Does anyone remember the name of that band? Anyhow that shows that they were willing to put in the work to make an album, but once Frank Farian offered them that deal to lip sync, they took it. And MANY of us would have a hard time turning down such an offer.

July 3, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Danny

you are right they dont owe us anything. what we owe each other is the truth. you would not want a doctor to say he was a doctor while lying on the gurney about to do surgey on you would you. I know music is not surgery but the fans pay a lot of money for there music. Is the truth to much to ask? I guess it is when money is involved. i feel sorry for these guys they let themselves get caught up in something too big. who knows maybe they did not have a choice. I really feel sorry for the actual singer what did that say about him and what the music producer really thought about his natural talent to sing. the thing is is how many of us would have walked away from a chance at money fame and fortune. the problem is that people are so superficial these days instead of standing up for something they give it all away at a chance to sell out. And it costs them the rest of there life!

January 30, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

Grammys is spelled without the apostrophe. It's plural, not singular possessive. And lip-synching is the best metaphor for everything that's wrong with American pop culture. It's fake and without any substance.

January 30, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ttw

I don't think old 'Fabo' has room to talk, he didn't even the sing the original recordings of the songs he was lip syncing to.

But, if we wanna have a conversation about lip syncing, even (love him dearly, I'm a huge fan and miss him alot) the late great Michael Jackson lip synced a time or two, including his legendary performance on "Motown 25" were he performed Billy Jean and introduced the 'moon-walk' to the world. He lip synced that performance to a pre-recorded track. He also has a well-known lip sync performance of 'Blood on the Dance Floor'

Brittany and a few others mentioned about were not the only ones to fake their way vocally through a performance.

January 30, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Roberta

Hey all, Fab actually sung live on the Arsenio Hall Show. Arsenio would never have let him on if he was lip synching so he can sing (though I don't particularly remember how it sounded). If he had taken more time and done it right he might have a good career going now.

January 29, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. m..

this award is a complete joke .....hey all you musicians that win a "Grammy" good luck being remembered in 100 years

January 29, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. janice

Young people don't know good music or singing today. It is all about the look. They think Brittney Spears is so talented and she is making the money to prove it. Sometimes I wish someone would make these people actually sing without all the distractions and dancing(put Modanna in that category). Fab is right in alot of ways. Music isn't music any more. It's a business that uses machinery to produce the sounds that the performers have no hope of replicating on stage. I miss the people who can really sing Gladys, Aretha, Barbara, Bobby Womack- I could go on. I think you have guessed that I am not a fan of todays music.

January 29, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chucklez

I don't think Fabrice cares what any of us think. He probably sits at home counting 100 dollar bills for fun from what he made when Milli Vanilli were popular. He saw an opportunity to get rich and took it. So no more judging, lest we be judged. You would have most likely done the same thing at his age. I probably would have.

Sadly, from what I understand, this guy can actually sing and does have a decent voice. But yes, it is different lip-syncing to your own vocals as opposed to someone else's, so no Fab, what you got crushed for is not the same thing. What I would like to know is, how many other times have we all been deceived like this where the truth never came out? I bet it would shock us all into a spastic colon.

That said, I think music is not even about music anymore. No one seems to care if they can sing or play a guitar with standard (not open) tuning anymore. It's all a visual circus now. Heck, Britney even called her tour the "circus" tour. Even SHE gets it.

Personally, my favorite kinds of shows to watch are where people take the stage, no rediculous costumes or 200 dancers onstage, and just sing and play their instruments. The audience is treated to watching great musicians practice their craft. This is "MUSIC". What happens these days is not MUSIC. It is ENTERTAINMENT, a novelty, if you will. Big difference.

This is coming from an 80's child, smack dab in the middle of the Reagan years. In the 70's and in the early 80's, you could have a gut, a big mole on your forehead, or be born with a tail and you could still get a record deal if you played the snot out of your instrument and sang great. Then MTV came along and destroyed it all. Thanks, Duran Duran. Funny how we all thought that MTV was the greatest thing since sliced bread when it made it's way into our bedrooms and living rooms back then. Little did we know that it was the start of the stabbing in the heart of music as we knew it. All of a sudden the visual element mattered. Fast forward 25 years, and here we are.

January 29, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ellen

Give Fab a break. They were scapegoats, it wasn't fair, it was their backers who should've taken the hit. We all loved Milli Vanilli and I still listen to the music. It's good! We've all done things that we either shouldn't have or regretted and when we own up to it, we're forgiven. They should be forgiven and this should all be dropped. He's allowed to say his peace about today's music. It's true, executives manufacture a group or a singer and put stuff out there. There are very few original and talented singers/performers today. I also agree, Lady Gaga is terrific!

January 28, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dawn

Just remember that the members from Milli Vanilli were homeless and living on the subway. Someone offered to take them from a dangerous environment and give them a roof and food. Who would not take that...given their situation? The sad thing about the situation is that the music industry profited, and one member of the group committed suicide, because he could not recover from something that really was not his fault.

January 28, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Bernie

I wish people would just let the whole lip-syncing thing go. Haven't they been criticized enough? It got so out of hand that Rob killed himself because of it. I love them when they were around and enjoyed their videos. But as many people said they were victims of the industry. I do not blame them at all for what happened. They were manipulated by the execs. It's been over 20 years now, let the situation rest, for crying out loud. This society is all about fake everything. Fake hair, fake boobs, fake butt, fake lips, fake eyes,and fake any other body part you can think of. You celebrate people like the Kardashians, the Jersey Shore, and other reality programs of people who HAVE NO REAL TALENT!!! At least Rob and Fab did outside the studio and probably would have redeemed themselves if the public had allowed them to. But since society is so unforgiving, the were unable to and constantly reminded them of their failure that it ultimately cost Rob's life.

I wish Fab all the luck in the world and I admire him for being so courageous to live through all that drama and still come out clean on the other side. Rob, you will forever be in our hearts and your are sorely missed!!

January 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mel

The whole lip syncing/not singing thing was the producer's (Frank Ferian?) idea, not theirs; he hoodwinked both them AND the group that really sang the songs!

Instead of acting like the poster child for people that lip sync, I really wish that Fabrice would talk more about how they were presented with a contract in another language, signed it with no representation, and then had no choice but to go along with everything under threat of exposure – which the producer ended up doing, anyway! How come no one ever speaks negatively about that guy? I'm sure there are tons of people just like him out there, trying to take advantage of some broke twenty year old with get rich quick dreams.

January 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chris

Lori – Why should it matter what continent you are on? Why should these guys have been put to a different standard here in the USA? I remember when people were complaining about Backstreet Boys and Nsync "not playing their own instruments"... who really cares? As long as the music sounds good, it shouldn't matter. People like you must think you've been deceived, as if the artist/group owes you something for lip syncing, not playing own instruments, etc.

January 28, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. The Ryan

Milli as well as Vanilli have contributed so much to our cultural fiber, whether it be through controversy over lip-synching, the high-energy glitz-pop, or near-androgynous fashion. I, for one, am not ashamed to say that I still have a concert t-shirt. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Besides, who cares if it was actually Fab’s voice or not? When he sang, “And I know what you’re wearing I don’t care” (Girl You Know It’s True), it’s like he was speaking to me. Only in a plutonic sense. And I’m not a girl.
    MILLI VANILLI FOREVER!

January 28, 2010 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kit

Wish Rob was still around to hear that people do understand what happened with them. They were so vilified at the time.

Keep going, Fab.

January 27, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. G. Ziemann

With concert ticket prices averaging about $60, I don't want to see a show that uses lipsyncing.

I can stay home and watch phony for free.

January 27, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Zack

This is exactly why I got out of the music industry. They care nothing of talent, only money. All they want is a sub-standard sex-laced product to force feed to the masses. Seriously, a trained monkey could do what acts like Britney Spears do. It baffles me why the public eats this bile up as music. Your local music scene has much more talent than the hacks they promote on MTV and the radio.

January 27, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. sarah

I agree 100% with what he says!
    I was a dancer in the industry for a while and what i have discovered was far worst than Fab could ever describe...
    Female best selling in a country like germany was a 15 year old girl that did not even sing her own songs!
    She won the german "goldene stimmgabel" even though she was lip-syncing to someone else's voice!
    I know of a lot of artists and grammy award nominated artists that did not sing any of their own songs...
    don't believe the hype!

January 27, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. freddie

Milli- – -Vanilli....

Still was one of the best vocal group around....

Sorry for the untimely death of one member..

Music today is all about S-A-M-P-L-I-N-G .....

AND THE USE OF " AUTO TUNE "

January 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jennifer

Why is it that you people have to be so mean? Did you really need to waste 3 minutes of your time to type out a nasty comment about this guy who has done nothing to you? I will never understand the outright rudeness and cruelty of some people...what is it that poseses a person to leave such nasty comments? What in the world can you possibly get out of that? Remember the old phrase, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?" I wonder if some nasty comments might be made about YOU someday – or are you too perfect and have never made any mistakes? Just remember, Karma is true and what goes around comes around.

January 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Diva

This contains a correction to a typo in my previous post.

I liked Milli Vanilli. I suspected they didn't actually sing the songs when I saw them on Soul Train & always felt that something was not quite right because of the accents...well, that's just how I felt but I did love the music. At least they had the guts to actually perform live after the fact & poke fun at themselves in a commercial. Too bad Rob killed himself but Fabrice actually does have a wonderful voice. Today's music is just a bunch of diposable mess & the singers are Autotuned to death. This is why I buy mostly old school now.

January 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Leslie

What he needs to realize though, is that they both lip sync'd with SOMEONE ELSES VOICES!
    I don't agree with the way some entertainers choose to entertain. I say, when the public comes to a concert or venue to hear a performer and they don't hear the real deal, it's ripping the fans off. Milli Vanilli not only lip sync'd but pretended someone else's vocal cords were their own!
    Whether they were scapegoats or not, they signed on the dotted line.

January 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mike

The music companies have been screwing us for years. Making us buy a whole album when we only want one song. Lipsynching at concerts we pay for.

Since when we buy music, we own the rights to that copy, does that mean that they should have to replace for free all the worn out LP Records, Cassette Tapes, and CD's that no longer work?

January 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Sebastian

When I see stuff like this, it makes me want to pop on a Beatles or Radiohead album. Not only can bands like that put out amazing records- they can actually sing their songs. It's nice to go to a concert (especially at today's prices) and know the artists are actually performing rather than doing a sixth grade talent show lip-synch. And contrary to some comments I've seen, I wouldn't call Britney entertainment. Her personal life is pretty entertaining though...aren't we overdue for another child-endangering meltdown?

January 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  30. genie evans

I loved the songs. I loved their look. I don't care if they weren't the singers (but why haven't the real singers come forward?). I stil listen to their CD. It fulfills pleasing my ear and it reminds me of the duo and how very hot they were. So what if they weren't the real thing. They were just doing what naive wannabe successful young kids would do to make a buck never realizing the notoriety that was to come

January 27, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sharon O

This is what happens when you choose substance over talent. Rob and Fab were used and then made out to be the villains. They had a "look" but their voices were 'thin' (so said the powers-that-be). The real performers had the voices but Arista would have never put them in a video - maybe they were ugly, too fat and old or a combination of all three. It was a appalling that the label nor the producer were not chastised the way Rob and Fab were since they were the ones that did the deed. Frank Fabian is still producing music and Arista is still in business - Fab is trying to have a career and Rob committed suicide. How sad.

January 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  32. soulfinger

I totally agree with Fab. The music of today is a total joke! I would take Milli Vanilli (whoever was singing) over the Lady GaGa's (watered down lame version of Madonna circa 1993), Rihania's (poor man's Beyonce who herself is just a less talented Mary J Blige), and Britney Spears' (no comment) of today. I dont blame them for what happened, they were just pawns. RIP to the other one....

January 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. TAB

The biggest thing that annoys me about all the "pop" music that is out there today is the artists are almost exclusively about staging, costume changes and dance routines. What happened to singers who actually can carry a tune or write music? Hardly any of them can even play an instrument anymore!!! It's just about image and how attractive artists are and they'll make them sound good in the studios.

January 27, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jon R

His point is entirely valid. The Grammy Award isn't even worth watching, lip syncing or not. Whoever wins, it's going to be for a shallow, vapid song with no redeeming or lasting value.

January 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mica

Lets name the artists that can really carry a tune live.
    Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston (before drugs and bobby), Faith Hill, Celine Dion (i dont like her), Shania Twain, CeCe Winans, Tamia, Pink.

The Slutty Trashy and plain just cant sing list. They just look nice in pictures.
    Beyonce, Rhianna, GaGa, Keisha Cole, Alicia Keys, Jennifer Lopez, Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, Ashanti and the rest of the sex sales crew.

January 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. George

I never understood one thing about this whole Grammy callback thing: it may be true that those two guys did not sing, but Mill Vanilli DID. Just because they put two good looking performers on the stage, Milli Vanilli was actually created and recorded those songs. So what if "spokes persons" were shown everywhere?

January 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Carol

Who better to speak about authenticity then someone that broke the rules. Do you remember the movie, "Catch me if you can" with Tom Hanks. It is a true story about a guy who was at whiz a fraud, well the FBI hired him to work to catch guys just like him. Computer companies hire hackers to show them the weakness in their programs.
    Dont knock him until you hear what he has to say. Maybe he is one of the best for the job.

January 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Carol

Who better to speak about authenticity then someone that broke the rules. Do you remember the movie, "Catch me if you can" with Tom Hanks. It is a true story about a guy who was a whiz a fraud, well the FBI hired him to work to catch guys just like him. Computer companies hire hackers to show them the weakness in their programs.

January 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  39. CC

I agree with Fab, lip-syncing is lip syncing no matter how you put it. Britney Spears' voice is sooo modified it no longer even sounds like her. There is no difference between Britney and Fab.

January 27, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Chris

I think Mel Torme did the original tracks!

January 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Lori

Chris- That's Europe. Not us.

January 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Darren

Didn't we blame that on the rain, and move on?

January 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Lori

Yes, Milli Vanilli lip sang and yes, Britany Spears lip sang, and yes, so many other people lip sing, which I think is ok. But the difference is that Milli Vanilli NEVER sang any of there songs EVER!! At least everyone else whos been caught; it's actually THEIR voice they're lip singing too!!!

January 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Sarah

wow. he is still fine!!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Andrea

I don't care who sang the songs, I like them. Girl you know it's true!! Bring back Milli Vanilli!!

January 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Chris

Most of you dont understand how things were done in Europe. During the Italo Disco era of the 1980s, MANY of the 12" records were sung by studio singers, but a model would be put on the cover as the 'artist'. Also on live TV/club performances, the entire performance would be lipsynced. The audience didn't care either! It was only in the United States that the media decided to lynch performers such as Milli Vanilli for lipsyncing, when it had been done all along in Europe for YEARS.

January 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. JudyL

I personally was very entertained by this group when they came out. Very entertaining, nice looking men. The comparison to Brittany Spears is not a real comparison. Brittany is at least lip syncing to her own voice. Milli Vanilli lip synched to singing by completely different people. Nevertheless, Milli Vanilli did the actual dancing and had great personalities.

Didn't the other guy die a few years back, or maybe I'm thinking of some other group.

I'd love to see them both come back. I forgive them.

January 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Courtney Anne

I think it is way past time that we all should forgive the duo for what happened back in 1990. I would take Milli Vanilli over some of today's crappy music. They were all about having fun and they could dance. I still feel bad about the suicide of his partner.

January 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  49. RS1981

I see what Fab is saying about people lip synching. Hell Ashlee Simpson got nailed doing that on SNL, and then when she was busted for it, she came up with various excuses as to why she did it. I was stunned when I heard about Milli Vanilli back when it happened, and was surprised that they had gotten as far as they had. And Warren, you're right about C&C Music Factory. I didn't know about it until VH1 did a segment about it, and they mentioned that the original female vocal belonged to that of one of the famed singers in the group The Weather Girls. I believe that there was also a female lip syncher in Meatloaf's videos in the 90s. The story I had heard was that the girl in the video was a hair stylist and that they chose her for the lip synch because of her beautiful looks, and that the person who was listed on the album didn't really give her name. I think she went by Miss X or something like that. It's surprising that these artists go in and act like they'll never be caught if they lip synch. Someone's bound to spill the beans these days.

January 27, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  50. FactCheck

What's the difference between Britney Spear and Milli Vanilli. Milli actually won a Grammy. Otherwise, they are both talent-less lip-synchers/dancers who don't have a creative bone in their body.

January 27, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Manos

I always liked Milli Vanilli and i still do. For all of those who criticize think of this...when you buy a car not everything is made by the same company, parts and pieces are made by others and put together in the assembly line..when you go to McDonalds, not everything is made from them...as far as I know some salads are made by other companies. Web designing firms use different specialists and technologies for the creation of a final product. I dont see anything wrong in what Milli Vanilli did...some wrote the music, others sung and Fab and his partner did the whole presentation..and they were successful...very successful...i like their music...and you know what? I wish they were able to make more songs like that because they made me feel good..no matter who was singing them..i liked the whole thing behing in what was called Milli Vanilli !!! So yes i'm a fan and I would pay to buy their music again as I did twenty years ago!

January 27, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Cheri Mercer

This is just like Kate Gosselin claiming to be a stay at home mom or a GOOD mom. See the comparison? She is a diva in her own mind.

January 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  53. HG

The same thing that has happened to Hollywood has happened to the music industry. No one has a new idea! It is all formula and special effects. As long as talent has no place in the industry there will be no public willing to pay to listen to it.

January 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Eric in Charlotte

OOP's
    90% of the artists today CANT hold a note outside of a music studio. And the other 10% is getting ready to retire....Rap is nothing but talking fast with background music and a waste of bass...

Gone are the days of the true singer/entertainer. Dean Martin is gone, Elvis is gone etc.. the greats are gone, but least they sang LIVE and sounded just like their records. A live concert today is not Live its all BS

Today its all shock value and T & A and how naked and sexy one can be. Oh don't forget about having to mention sex and drugs and crime in most of the songs today too

Thats from the perspective of a 30something....not a grandparent.

January 27, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Eric in Charlotte

90% of the artists today can hold a note outside of a music studio. And the other 10% is getting ready to retire....Rap is nothing but talking fast with background music and a waste of bass...

Thats from the perspective of a 30something....not a grandparent.

January 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  56. russc

Blame it on the rain!

January 27, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Burnt Fur

It's amazing how many people care about lip syncing and pitch shifting but could care less that "no one" is playing or writing original music for American Idol or that every single vocalist sounds like they just stepped out of their high school drama class, that Guitar Hero has NOTHING to do with actual music (it's just 'button mashing') or that when you go to see a pop singer "live" the band and the music is secondary to gyrating on stage like the show is one big stripper pole. POP MUSIC = SALES. There's nothing wrong with that if you don't really care about music itself. That's why there is alternative music. For some reason the above mentioned do care when the RIAA comes down on file sharers because that somehow invokes sympathy–for the thieves not the musicians. And to the 70s classic rock crowd–get a life. You had your time. There are great musicians out there right now, that don't want to sound like The Eagles, get over it.

January 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Ozzi

I really liked Milli Vanilli back in the 80's and it was a disappointment to learn that their voices had been substituted. But they actually do have good voices, so it was stupid to sub in the first place. The industry can be so rotten.

Love you, Fabrice. Miss you, Rob. RIP.

January 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  59. CharlieMike73

The question is: did Fab really talk to USA Today or did he just lip-sync to someone elses comments?

January 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. gapeach

Lady GA GA.....authentic.......truly talented...hahahahahahaha!!!!! She is just strolling down the trail Madonna blazed years ago. Lady GaGa is just as boring as all of the other no talent artists on the pop scene today, same old thing over and over again.

January 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Earl

Todays singers (if you can call em that) SUCK!!! I just mean...they are all from the same cookie cutter and nothing is different. When a artist like Rhiana can become one of the top artist in the country and she can only sing ONE NOTE....something is seriously wrong with the music biz!!!

January 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Vincent Petrosino

Excuse me! What you do not seem to understand is that Rob and Fab were not singing AT All. Get it? At All. Others who were less visually attractive were singing. They (Rob and Fab) were NOT lip-syncing their own vocals. People like Brittaney are. IT IS NOT THE SAME! Get with it! And what DSM loved was a charade. When they (Rob and Fab) tried singing on their own, they were terrible. How soon we all forget!

January 27, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Burnt Fur

Lady Ga Ga is hardly authentic. Did you forget Pink already pretended to be alternative whilst churning out the same over-styled, over-hyped pop that Mariah etc. were already peddling? If Lady Ga Ga WERE authentic, she'd write from an alternative music angle instead of chumming up with pop writers, labels and execs. In other words, she wouldn't have been in the right place at the right time because she wouldn't even have wanted to be there. If you want pop authenticity, look to the new Annie album–the ONLY artist in the past twenty years to successfully blend pop and alternative without pandering to sales.

January 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. DSM

I agree with Fab. A lot of the songs that are made now are not from the heart and soul of the singers. It is all about shock value and how can the most money be made. There are a few artist who do sing from the heart, but there are a ton more, who are the instrument of the record company to make money. Also, who cares Fab and his partner did not really sing the songs. l loved them anyway.

January 27, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Eric

AUTOTUNE, AUTOTUNE has ruined the music business! Why is it that this generation is so accepting of the crap that is spoon fed to them by record companies and radio? Where is this generations Marvin Gaye, James Brown or The Beatles? For every John Mayer or Alica Keys there are a hundred of Ashlee Simpson. Aretha Franklin would only be allowed to clean the studio these days because she doesn't have the look that the music biz is trying to sell. Pitiful, shameful and bogus!

January 27, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  66. flugel76

Well, the pot is certainly calling the kettle black, but he's right. VERY few pop "artists" are musicians at all, in any sense of the word. Most of them couldn't sing a live show if their lives depended on it, so they're forced to lip sync, or at the very least, sing over themselves in a studio recording.

And he's also right that if what happened then were to happen today, very little would have been said about it.

Like it or not, Milli Vanilli was simply ahead of their time. Paula Abdul was lip synching during the same period, she just didn't get caught until a few years later.

January 27, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. OhioGirl

Britney can't sing live, just in the studio...with all of the tricks to make her sound good.
    Milli Vanilli rocked!! I wish I could find their music somewhere. Yes, I know they were fake, but who cares. The music was great!! hehe

January 27, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Roy

@Michael 12:52

There is good music and good up and coming musicians out there, if you know where to look. I don't think good music has ever been defined by popularity. Even still, your points about the lack of musicians won't and couldn't be fixed for a generation at least. Each of my 3 kids is learning guitar and music, as am I FORMALLY at 37, for the appreciation of music not to be rock stars. If you think guitar is an easy or not legitimate instrument (I can't imagine why), you need to be enlightened; guitar is one of the harder instruments to play. I'm not talking about 3-chord campfire songs. Perhaps you should listen to some Satriani, Santana, Clapton, Hendrix, BB King, and reevaluate.

January 27, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  69. chris

Fab makes some good points. He actually was a scapegoat, and many of you would have likely done the same thing were you in his place. His story is actually kind of tragic, as the inevitable irony-laden biopic will prove out.

Fab's okay in my book.

January 27, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jim Pryor

Wow, the ignorance on display here today. If anybody bought a Milli Vanilli album because of the two guys on the cover, then they deserved what they got. I bought it because it was a good compilation of music. The MUSIC on the recording holds up even today.

And to read one lady here say Britney is syncing to a recording of her own voice....LOL. How do you know that?

What the Milli Vanilli tragedy really displays is the ignorance of the buying public. The real singers were not attractive enough, so they put a FACE on the album that people would spend money on. Oh for the days when people didn't care about the looks of the singer...but the voice.

January 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  71. highms

look at live "performances" from the fifties and sixties, where everything was lipsynced on TV. they didn't necessarily do it cuz they couldn't really sing, they quite simply didn't have the technology or experience to have a band perform live and make it sound worth crap, both in the studio and in the broadcast. sure milli vanilli were full of crap but can anyone say the music industry is ethical or honest? who do you think played on the kiss records? i liked "girl you know it's true" but never bought the record and when i found out it was a scam i chuckled and some how liked it more. that's entertainment.

January 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Milli Fan

How many times do our bosses make us do something that we know isn't the best idea, but we go ahead and compromise? Man, give Fabrice a chance. If we can still be mad at him after 20 years and not be mad at more important things like the economy, then we have a bigger problem. Fabrice writes his own music, sings well and is trying to make a decent living for the past 20 years. You know you all were singing to these songs while you were jammin' in your hammer pants! Instead of punishing Fabrice....why not criticize the industry and the real ones who take advantage of young artists like Milli Vanilli...its just the same as what is happening with all the banks and CEO's...we are the ones tricked!...and we give them the money to keep all their expensive crap while we slave away all day giving them all our money. Who needs a record companies backing today anyway...only way to get in the door, but true artists like Fabrice and all of us out there will make music, art or anything because we HAVE to ...its in us...we don't need to be tricked by some execs who compromise other's artistry for their gain. Today's music sucks...and everything is out just to get noticed without doing any work at all.

January 27, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Michael

Why is it that people seem to equate singing to music? The reason there is such prefab stuff out there is because it is all about mixing/sampling and singing. Where are the instruments??? Why can someone get popular who plays an instrument? And I dont mean strum the guitar and bang the drums.....I mean a professional musician with a band who is classically trained and can develop multiple sounds from multiple instruments at the same time. Bring fusion back! bring great jazz back!! Grant Green!! Lonnie Smith!! Deodato!! Stanley Clarke!!John McLaughlin!! Miles Davis!! Donald Byrd!! Where is the real musical talent nowadays>>>oh right its not about talent but about who is hot looking!!! Dumbed down society stinks!!

January 27, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Bob

The saddest part was the two could actually sing, but they didn't sound anything like Milli Vanilli. They demanded they do the singing on the next Milli Vanilli album and that's when their producer blew the whistle.

The two went on to record an album in their own names and with their own voices that got good reviews but vanished without a trace (something like 1,000 copies sold).

January 27, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  75. DrHaver

"Music" today is crap! American Idol is about as spontaneous as Wall Street trading. It's all contrived and boring. Once and a while you hear something good – but you REALLY have to search hard!

And GUESS who the 2nd biggest selling act of the last 10 years was ? The Beatles! Even youngs kids know they have to go way back in time to hear real music. We're still listening to Revolver, The WhiteAlbum, Sgt Pepper after 40 years! And Jimi Hendrix also makes eveything today sound like wallpaper in comparison.

Even Britney Spear's biggest fan is aware that NO ONE will be listening to her junk in 40 years (or even 5). Its just glossy "bump and grind" garbage. Wake up kids!

January 27, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  76. CEPEDA

The reason that there are no "real" music acts right now (or presumably for the near future) are that the record companies, subsidiaries, promoters are just like pimps. They get as much use out of an act, as quickly as possible to maximize their (now fading) profits.

The advent of new record labels, the internet, and artists taking a more active approach with their music, and the rights to their music is pissing off the record labels to no end. People vilified Prince years ago for wanting to take control of his music. He was successful in doing so, and got out of a bad contract with Warner Bros. He gained his musical freedom, and control over how he put his music out to the masses. (I believe he had an album entitled "Emancipation" also if I recall) Now, your local garage band can record, produce, and distribute an album without ANY interference from any record label, and still become successful.

The large record companies will continue to push out hit, after mediocre hit until they fizzle out and are a thing of the past. The days of playing in a bar, hoping for a "big break" are over. Bands and musicians dont need the big record companies anymore to make money. Strike that. They (Bands and Musicians) dont need them to TAKE money anymore. Big music labels are fading out, and they know it.

Aaron Cepeda

January 27, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  77. dude

The reason we get crap music is because nobodies paying for it? No, the reason we get crap music is because it's so easy for non-musicians to make it with all the electronics and digital massaging. Even what you hear live is not what the performers voice really sounds like. Lots of autotune, delay, etc.

I've heard undoctored tracks from performers that you would swear have great voices that sounded like crap because they hadn't been processed. Same for instruments, I heard a recent track of Keith Richards live, it was split off from the output it was so bad and replaced with someone ghosting him behind the stage. I think he just stands up there and plays random chords now! And you know what, God Bless Him and capitalism!

I don't blame him. Personally I haven't liked the Stones since Mick Taylor left over "artistic differences" i.e. the Stones wanted to go Pop/Disco and he didn't. So I haven't really bought any of the songs they've come out with in the last 30 years. The last time I saw them live was on their '81 tour and I thought they had lost it then. Superbowl appearances were embarrassing.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, they'll stop making it.

The music business nowadays reminds me of the disco era. Corporatized music, they hit on a beat and work it to death. And yes, it's entertainment, for some anyway. Turn on the radio, I guarantee you that 90% of the songs you hear will have the same beat over and over again. Especially Hip Hop or Rap or "dance music (Disco).

January 27, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Sarah

I don't see anything wrong with the miming. I also agree that the Grammy was taken away. They were essentially props, and that is fine for selling records and making for great entertainment, but a little too far for the definition of a Grammy Award to stretch.

January 27, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  79. sheshe

First of all, I think he looks great after 20 years,and I agree with Fabrice's statements. Also the category that they won for Best New Artist did not specify "Best Voice Artists". They were still good performers, and good at Lip Syncing that they were able to fool everybody. Let's be real here, isn't it always about the money? That is what was offered to them at the time, why wouldn't they take up the offer? I agree with you Kit, and Miranda!

January 27, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  80. chuck

Why milli vanilli got crucified so much is beyond me. They were doing what they were hired to do. It's not as if they are the only ones who know they weren't the real singers. Everybody from the record company to the producers pulled this off, the actual two 'artists' are the ones that took the fall for it and they probaby has the least to do with it then anybody else.

January 27, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Sean

Milli Vanilli making a comment about authenticity in the music industry? Really? It's like Mark McGwire speaking out against PHD's, or John Edwards talking in favor of family values. It just rings hollow. And I have no patience with the "oh, they were offered a lot of money" argument. So they were offered a lot of money to sell their souls. Big deal. What's next/ Someone who gets a million points on Guitar Hero and looks good will be featured in a video? Gimme a break.

January 27, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Charles

Why does everyone always get angry at Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus, effectively banning them from the industry, and nobody seems to blame Frank Farian, the producer. It was ALL his idea! He's the one at fault. Fab and Rob were two guys given a chance at success with no say in how it was done. They fought the idea from day one, but it was Frank's way or the highway. Now Fab and Rob are pariah's in the industry and the guy who thought his whole mess up continues working as if nothing happened.

January 27, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  83. RichieC

Whatever the case may be, the song was great, their performances were great. The sad end to their run was the suicide of a human being. Fame is everlasting, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. I still listen to that song all the time, not caring it was not their voices on it.

January 27, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  84. kevin

MTV killed the music in that regard. How one looked in a music video determined a singer's success.

Take an artist like Christopher Cross. Music was good, but didnt translate to video due to his looks. Hence he disappeared.

Besides, most songs not are digitally altered so much in the studio to be appeasing to radio/cds, that live concerts have to use backing tracks, the songs sung live would sound nothing like the released CD/radio version.

I liked the sound of Milli Vanilli. I could care less who sang the bloody thing. I wish more music would be created/released digitally that doesnt require models to sing them.

January 27, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Dana

Answering Diffy's question above: According to the Billboard Book of Number One Hits, "The original singers turned out to be Brad Howell and John Davis, two former American soldiers who were not as photogenic as Rob and Fab. Howell gave his age as 45. The rapper on 'Girl You Know It's True' was Charles Shaw, who had claimed to be the real Milli Vanilli as early as the fall of 1989, but then retracted his statement ..."

They were all pawns, and all victims. Yeah, it would be interesting to hear from Howell and Davis and Shaw, wherever they are.

January 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  86. J.Crobuzon

Yeah, and my pot says my kettle's black. Good point, but undercut by the spokesman; when was he ever a musician?

January 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Robert

Sorry Daniel, but Karaoke is not lip-syncing at all, thats call singing the song, in your own voice, by reading along the lyrics that are shown on the teleprompter/screen.

How could you get that wrong, you don't know what Karaoke is?

January 27, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Mizzi Fazzizzi

For those asking what ever happened to the real singers. They were old and ugly. That's you never heard of them. Pop music has always been more image than substance.

Looks have 99% to do with a successful actor or singer, lets quit pretending talent is so important.

January 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  89. mark

you can "blame it on the rain".

January 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Rita

The sad part is this guy can really sing. Record exe's used their looks and other people's voices to sell an image and albums. It worked but cost Fabrice his fame and Rob, well ultimately his life. See if you can download anything from Fabrice Morvan...you would be pleasantly surprised. Rock on Fabrice!

January 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Nikki

Go Brad!! Agreed.

January 27, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Dr. J

I agree with most people on here that most of what you are able to hear in the US is over-produced, auto-tuned crap, and that is exactly what Fab is saying. Long gone are the days when a singer and band are completely live, mistakes and all. We may not want to agree with Fab for the mistakes of his past, but who else should be the authority on it? Certainly the man is qualified to speak about authenticity as he's spent the past 20 years trying to reclaim his own...despite the fact that the same industry we're all bashing refuses to give him the chance to prove he can sing or does have real talent while paying other artists to do the same as he did. You are naive if you think Milli Vanilli were the only people to do what they did, and decades after their foible Fab should be a great "whistle blower" for authenticity... it shows growth and learning on his part for which we should be supportive and not vindictive.

January 27, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Music

The thing was, they were fun, upbeat super-pop songs. Popular. Very popular. Yes, they were a good thing cause they were fun and lightened the atmosphere. But the two guys were bouncing around in very corny outfits and that kind of Hammer-esque thing leaves you open and vulnerable to criticism when your floor falls through. It's like Tiger. Nice guy, you want to root for him, but when the carefully manicured image ends up being a total hoax... You can fool some people some of the time... But the people don't like to be totally fooled. I don't think they were crucified. There was an unease and an angst about them at that time. Anyway, they had success and it was great. Good for them. It's time to focus on the genuinely positive.

January 27, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Daniel

Okay, for those who bash the guy for speaking out. He didn't call a press conference. Somebody from USA Today approached him an interview request. I agree with other commentators who state that it's a big difference between lip-syncing to your own voice vs. lip syncing someone else's voice (that's called Karaoke). I also don't think I agree with the people that say there is no talent out there today. There are some wonderfully talented people in the music industry for both voice and instrumental skills (for instance John Mayer has a great voice and it's clear Joshua Bell is pretty much the best violinist on the planet). Unfortunately, we've also seen the 'Disneyification' (and yes I just made that word up) of the music industry where they take a popular television person and try to leverage that into a musical career... some good results... most bad. That's just my two cents of course.

January 27, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  95. Carol

It is sad MIlli Vanilli didn't pre-record their own music. I have heard Fab sing and he is great, and a wonderful song writer. I do feel they were victims. There is alot of electronic manoeuvering in pop music anyway. Let Fab show what he can do and stop crucifying him.

January 27, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  96. jonny

Gosh. He still looks good doesn't he. Wasn't that the really what they were about?

January 27, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  97. StarKrusher

I just hate that this guy is actually very talented. He has an amazing voice that will never be heard b/c of the whole scandal.

January 27, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  98. David

They may be a joke now, but people loved them at the time. I bet most of the critics around here, were first in line to buy their albums.

Hypocrites at their finest.

January 27, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  99. Choconet

Although I don't agree with everything Fab said I agree that the music industry is selling us a load of crap. What qualifies him to speak about this? The obvious he was living it, there's no testimony without a test. He was a puppet for the record label and his manager. Lets face it, Fab and Rob did not get rich off of that scheme, the record company got rich as they always do, Fab and Rob just took the fall. Sure they have some responsibility, but what young kid would turn down an opportunity of a life time for fame.

Here is an example of the lack of integrity in the music industry. I watched an episode of the Real Housewives of Atlanta and one of the ladies, Kim on that show recorded a record. It was horrible, she sounded like a wailing cat. To show the lack of integrity in the music industry, when the producers finished tweaking her voice with every gadget they could Candi patted herself on the back and proclaimed "We can make anyone sound good."

January 27, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  100. michael

Why is everyone so concerned about manufactured music and lip synching when we have pop stars whop are teaching our young men and women how to lurid whores, flashing their privates, beating up innocent people and getting hooked on drugs. We'll get upset over lip synching but not the sewer behavior of these hack artists.

January 27, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  101. Musician

These guys, meaning Milli Vanilli, weren't the one's who said "Hey, I have an idea! let's get a bunch of songs, have other people sing them and we will just fake singing them!" It's the record industry who is to blame for the whole debacle. They are more interested in the "creation" of an artist and the money they can make off of it than the integrity of the music being produced. This is still evident today. That is why NONE of these artists and groups today have any staying power. They are all products invented by the recording industry to fit a mold. It just goes on and on. The two guys in Milli Vanilli aren't to blame. It is the greed of the industry. Wave a million dollars in front of 2 young guys and say "take this and you'll be a famous musician, leave the rest to us!" I think I can see why they took it.

January 27, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  102. Angela

It wasn't their faults. It's not Britney's fault either- musicians/entertainers are Products that are marketed and sold by the Music Industry. It's a business like anything else. Probably very few of these artists have any say in what they sing or what happens to the music after they leave the studio.

January 27, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  103. Bluegrass Rules

Unfortunately, Fabrito is the problem with today's music market. He dowloads the music without paying. He's as bad as the guys who fake the music.
    Its sad that there is a lot of good music out there that gets lost in the "Entertainment Business". Good songs and good vocals are a dime a dozen, but they are never heard becuase the industry buries any oppourtunity for that stuff to be heard. Buried under Britney, Lady Gaga and American Idol. They sell you what they want to sell you. Not what you would like to hear.
    Explore the internet. There's a lot of good music out there. Just pay for it please! Its the right thing to do and it supports more good music being made. It cost money to make a good recording and they can't do it if they don't make any money at it.

January 27, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  104. Milli-Vanilli ROCKS! TRUE Pioneers of MUSIC!

By by by by....by by by by Baby........don't forget my number. By by by by, by by by by....baby. Love will see you trough.

Words have never rung so true! LOL!

January 27, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  105. Brian

So many people seem to harp on Milli Vanilli and Fab, but don't take note of what he's saying. Since I just sing along in my car is my opinion less valid? If you can't do it on the stage, don't do it at all. Queen never tried to sing the operatic part of Bohemian Rhapsody, they played the tape and took a break. For the price of concert tickets, the audience deserves authenticity. Likewise the audience needs to wise up to the product they are being sold, digitized and processed voices. synthetic instruments, packaged products not music and artists.

January 27, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  106. miranda

Why you guys always criticize Milli Vanilli ?
    Tell me one single person who wouldn't do that for the money and the fame when they were young and stupid. Is it such a big crime ?
    I always loved them for their looks, dance and It was really entertaining.

January 27, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  107. Kit

Fab's point is – folks are paid to entertain. That's it. They were not paid to be singer-songwriters or authentic musical professionals. They were paid to entertain audiences with light, noise, dance. And a good plenty of performers continue in that tradition – giving a paying group a good time.

Btw. The Na'vi don't exist, y'all.

January 27, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  108. Warren Sanford

I want to say two words then I want you all to shut your mouths-ready?...
    BLACK BOX..remember everybody? How about C+C Music Factory?
    Martha 'two tons of fun' Walsh was the voice-but you didnt get to see her in the videos-you saw a model-this happens more than you know.

January 27, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  109. TA Ryan from WSU

I love Milli Vanilli. I still wear a T-shirt I've kept in mint condition for the past ten years. RIP Rob. You're forever in my heart!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  110. Mark McWane

Charles Shaw, John Davis, Brad Howell, and twin sisters Jodie and Linda Rocco actually sang all the songs on the debut album. (source – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milli_Vanilli)

January 27, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  111. Tony

John Q is missing my point. Of course anyone can have an opinion. I just don't see why his is worthy of national news coverage...

I think reporters these days are desparate to scare up stories from anywhere, no matter whether they are newsworthy or not

January 27, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  112. John Q. Public

Milli-Vanilli were the muppets of music. They had some guy in the background with his hand up their back, while they made alot of fame and fortune for themselves. I have to agree with Fab on his opinions, which he is entitled to just like we are to comment on this article. I don't understand why we can't move on from past issues and just listen to the point he's trying to make. His points are valid.

January 27, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  113. kmrunner

If you like the song and you're being entertained, who cares???? It's not like there are real actors in Avatar. But who were the real singers and why aren't they singing now? Were they too ugly for an audience?

January 27, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  114. Diffy

Who were the real voices behind Milli Vanilli? Anyone know???

January 27, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  115. Lisa Caper

Rob and Fab were recording artist – it was Arista Records and their execs that came schemed the lame lip sync idea.

January 27, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  116. Tony

Why do we care what this loser and fraud thinks? Since when is he qualified to have his musical opinions published in national media?

Have journalism standards become so pathetic? What's next – Tiger Woods speaking on family values?

January 27, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  117. Mark McWane

Britney Spears cannot actually sing well at all without a ton of Auto-tune processing, and other post-production tweaks, and her dancing is laughable now. In stark contrast, love her or hate her (I love her), Lady Gaga writes her own music, she dances circles around Britney in her live performances, she actually leads the choreography of said dancing, AND she REALLY SINGS while concurrently dancing during her shows. Vocal mistakes and all (which are still far and few between because she actually has real talent). Which I find refreshing and real. Britney Spears does not have the talent to be a backup dancer for Lady Gaga.

January 27, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  118. jurby

what a joke! he never even sang a note on any of the songs as everything was sung and recorded by other people! he needs to shut up and not comment on lip-syncing until he's actually recorded something that he could honestly lip-sync to!

January 27, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  119. Rob Ott

The music industry has not lost me to downloads...they just lost me period. I hate fakes, flakes and 99% of any of today's musicians in the pop world.

January 27, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  120. Joe Wilder

The music biz wonders why their sales are down. Nobody buys CD's any longer. Why? Because there isn't one lick of originality in anyone, and none of who we see promoted can actually SING without a huge amount of voice modulation, digital enhancement, or other fakery. Lyrics are unoriginal, boring and performances lip synched for the most part.

Whatever happened to "album" oriented rock? Whatever happened to drum and guitar solos? I'm quite tired of hearing singing all the way through every song from start to finish in a formulated 3.5 minute or less tune. Give me back my Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Rush, Ted Nugent and any other real band. I haven't bought a CD in over 10 years...and won't bother downloading half the crap either that comes out today.

January 27, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  121. Kris

If it was all about entertainment Heidi Montag would be a much bigger star in the music industry because her music is TERRIBLE...

January 27, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  122. David Perry

It's one thing to lid-sync to your own songs. I can understand when singers do it during really hyper dance segments. Some of the dance routines that Britney, Madonna, and Janet Jackson–whatever their talent might be–have done on their tours have been so complex, the idea of singing through them is ridiculous. Milli Vanilli never sang their songs. They lip-synched the songs of other singers. Big difference.

January 27, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  123. PEEPER

I I I I I I I I I I I'm in love with you girl. IIIIIIIIIIIIII I'm in love with you girl. BLAME IT ON THE RAIN HEY HEY!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  124. James

This guy still has no idea what they did. They weren't lip-synching to their own voice- they used someone else's voice, to sell their visual image. Artists today do lip-synch, but it's their own voices they are using- albeit auto-tuned most of the time, but it's still them. These artists today never pretended to have recorded songs that they never sang. Wow- never thought I'd see the day when Ashley Simpson would retain more artistic integrity than Milli Vanilli. That's bad.

January 27, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  125. brown6767

milli vinilli didnt even sing they lip sing so he cant be called a singer lol go away fab

January 27, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  126. Bill Skadder

I agree with "great guru",, 95% of these kids can't sing, their tone deaf, it;s all about entertainment, if even that's what you call it. The mixing board makes these people sound good. What ever happened to harmony, as the younger generation takes more control of the music industry the worst it will get. They don't have a clue about what real talent is. It;s all about fame, look at me. And they just don't give a damn. Listen, if you have a voice then all you need is a microphone. You don't even have to have the best voice, but sing from the heart and touch mine. Let my eyes see the story your conveying with words and music. If you want to learn what music is then start with du-wop and you'll appreciate harmony and the power of the voice. Today is nothing but crap, that's why it's free.

January 27, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  127. Jennifer E.

He does have a point, BUT still from the beginning of their "career" they were lip synching someone else's voice. When I go to a concert why would I want to hear someone lip synch? Might as well save the money from the concert, stay home and listen to it on my IPOD.

January 27, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  128. Gwendolyn

These "entertainers" that lip sync are an insult to the real talent as well as the "fas". Go away if you can't do what you claim you can. Hey, if the general public in unable or "can't" to their job what happens?? FIRED! You are out of here. :-)

January 27, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  129. Dan in Noo Yawk

I think Sarah Palin lip syncs and doesn't write her own stuff either, but a lot of people love that package anyway. And so what? Oh yeah...Milli Vanilli never had their finger on the nuclear trigger...

January 27, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  130. Kel C

Why is it that we never hear from the actual voices on Milli Vanilli's album?

January 27, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  131. adama

In today's world, you don't even need to be able to sing. Back then they got busted for lip-syncing. In today's world, they would just kick up the autotune and call it good

January 27, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  132. Brad

As an industry professional, I have a different view. When you watch a Godzilla movie, that isn't a real giant lizard tearing through the city, nor does Bruce Willis really drive cars off of rooftops. It's just entertainment.

Contrary to what some critics might imply, it doesn't really matter who does and who doesn't. Many talented people contribute to the success of these projects.

For decades, misinformed critics have dogged the Monkees, when in fact, they contributed far more to the creative process than Three Dog Night, and other acts of the era. Rob and Fab were hired to do a job, and they did their job well.

BTW: David Bowie never really got stranded in space... it's just a song, folks. Stop acting like these performers owe you something ...
    they don't. If you don't like the music, don't listen.

January 27, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  133. Jen

You know, people are bashing him-he fell from grace, got humiliated, and is still brave enough to talk to the media. I think alot of people would have done what Milli Vanilli did to have a chance at fame. These two guys were not the only ones who deceived fans-their manager and Arista records all knew Milli Vanilli didnt sing on the album. Fab is right though-music today is mainly garbage and Britney Spears deserves every ounce of criticism she gets. Madonna is 51 years old, and she sings live while dancing and putting on a show, not to mention she writes and co-writes alot of her music.
    Michael Jackson was truly authentic and we will never see an artist like him again. Lady Gaga is one of few artists today who is authentic and truly talented but truly authentic artists are few and far in between.

January 27, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  134. Rockin' Reg

I never blamed Fabrice or Rob. I always "Blamed It On The Rain"...I think Vanilla Ice said it best, "Offer a kid a million bucks and fame and hey, who wouldn't!"...I think the saddest thing that occured from the Milli Vanilli incident was that Rob couldn't cope and commited suicide.

January 27, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  135. great guru

The reason why there is nothing but crap coming out of the music industry is that no one is paying for the music. The horrible music will continue to be made because all those artists care about is getting heard. The good musicians don't want to waste their time making music anymore because there is no pay day in it these days.

January 27, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  136. Debra R

Fab....DUH! Lip syncing is a cop out...if you can't sing and dance, then don't do it...there are several people who can...

January 27, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  137. Mike B

Geez....This idiot's 15 minutes of fame were up a LONG time ago.
    It's a tragedy that he is even allowed to TALK about the subject like he was ever an actual musician in the first place. Bah.

January 27, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  138. Fabrito

Fab is awesome. It wasn't his fault back in the 90's. They were just young, having fun and only thought about making money. Who cares if they sang those songs or not. They were good, so what!? I don't pay for songs anyway and millions of other don't either. I just download them, hahahaha.

January 26, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  139. anon

Be quiet and go away Fab and stay gone please

January 26, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Ashley

The difference is that Rob and Fab were not singing their songs at all. Britney is terrible, but at least it was her own modulated voice she was lip synching to.

January 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |