January 25th, 2010

Scorpions announce breakup

testing captions
testing captions

The Scorpions, the German metal band whose biggest hits include "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and "Wind of Change," will no longer be stinging.

The band, which has been together in one combination or another for more than 40 years, announced Sunday it will be breaking up. They're in no rush to go, however: besides a new album, "Sting in the Tail," due out in March, the band is embarking on a three-year world tour.

"We want to end the Scorpions' extraordinary career on a high note," the band said in a message on its Web site. "We are extremely grateful for the fact that we still have the same passion for music we’ve always had since the beginning. ... We finish our career with an album we consider to be one of the best we have ever recorded and with a tour that will start in our home country Germany and take us to five different continents over the next few years."

The Scorpions' current lineup consists of Rudolf Schenker - who founded the group in 1965 - Klaus Meine, Matthias Jabs, Pawel Maciwoda and James Kottak.

In its history, the band became as well-known for its suggestive album covers - particularly some early releases, which were designed by Hipgnosis - as its hard-driving rock 'n' roll. After years of touring, the group broke through to the mainstream in the '80s thanks to "Rock You Like a Hurricane," which helped the album "Love at First Sting" go double platinum.

Other albums include "Crazy World," "Pure Instinct" and "Moment of Glory," the latter of which was recorded with the Berlin Philharmonic.

1. CALI CNT

WE HAVE TOLERATED THIS NEW ONE FOR 1 YEAR...3 200 POUND SUITS MEETING WITH HOLLYOOD IS NEXT IF I'M TREATED WITH CRUELTY BY CALIFORNIA AND THE 2 OTHER CNTS
    NOW GET THE F-CK OUTTA HERE...NOBODY CAN STAND YOU...

June 10, 2013 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. best universities

I savor, cause I discovered exactly what I used to be having a look for. You've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

June 10, 2013 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kam Retnasami

The greatest hard rock band of all time! Period. From 'Dynamite' to 'Animal Magnetism' to 'When the Smoke is Going Down' to 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' to 'Bad Boys Running Wild' to 'I'm Leaving You' to 'Still Loving You' to 'Rhythm of Love' to 'Wind of Change' to 'Send Me an Angel' to 'Woman' to 'Sting in the Tail' to 'Sly', the have rocked my whole life, kept me alive, helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel and gave me hope since I was 15 (1984).

August 26, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robert Hanssen (yellow Raven)

Best band to ever grace the surface on this earth..Imagine starting up a band in hannover in 1965 behind the iron curtain..-man they have opened doors for every band that has started after them...the scorpions are not just a european band, they are a GLOBAL band.
    Put them in the rock and roll hall of fame NOW.

i am sad they are quitting but, they deserve that now.. imagine rocking the sox off people for over 40 years? giving a 130% on stage..

Scorpions i love you. YOU ARE UNTOUCHABLE!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nikki

They were an awsome group. I hate it when people talk about being relevant. they rocked it was that simple.

January 26, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. sonas76

Maybe it's better to retire than to come out onstage with a walker and an oxygen tank.

January 26, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. REH

Oddly, I have not seen a reference to Animal Magnetism in all of these posts! Blackout was a great album (CD). But do yourself a favor (all of you under 30 people who want to know metal) and dig up Animal Magnetism. Its obvious classic is 'The Zoo', but the title track is a hipnotic crusher, too.

January 26, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Roger Dale

One of the best if not the best live band I've ever seen. Very professional. I have been a fan for many years and was fortunate enough to finally get to see them in Houston 1984 and again in 2001 at the World Theater outside Chicago. Great shows. Love Animal Magnetism and "The Zoo'! When you've sold over 75 million albums worldwide, based on hard work and perserverence. That puts you in some pretty elite company and I'd say you've had a pretty good career.
    Thanks for the memories and I wish them all the best.

January 26, 2010 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nostalgic

Wow...SO many years have flown by!?!?!...ALREADY?

I remember rockin' to their music back in high school in the 80's. As a teenager going through the angst of puberty, I would jam out to Scorpions music...AC/DC, Def Leppard, and other bands that made those years memorable. Bands like those were the soundtrack to my teen years.

I know that I may sound like my parents...but...kids today have NO IDEA how good it was in those days. I witnessed the birth of MTV, and got to rock out with great bands like the Scorpions with ALL the hair and the tight pants....priceless!!! All I can say is, thanks for the wonderful memories.

January 26, 2010 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Gilasevi

Just the other day, yesterday in fact, I was playing some Scorpion jams and I was just thinking how great this band is/was...is...what a real talented bunch of hard rockers with almost symphonic sensibilities.

You have to dig The Scorpions if you love music. One of the last great metal/hard rock bands that actually made real, compelling and musical rock. These guys grab the new artsy fartsy rock bands of today with their claws and toss them in the air and sting them with a good dose of how its done!

Wish them the best on the new tour, just may make it a point to be sure to check them out!

January 26, 2010 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scorpions Fan

I saw The Scorpions in concert three times, circa 1986-1999, and every time they were the most technically perfect live band I've ever seen, before or since. They didn't miss so much as a note, and Klaus's voice could cut through steel-reinforced concrete, it was so clean. Their professionalism as musicians is unmatched, and they have always put their fans first – alot of bands currently out there today could learn alot about 'how it's done' from these guys. I'm glad they didn't break up catastrophically - they richly deserve to ride off into the sunset.
    Thanks for some awesome memories, guys.

January 26, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Forkeyedude

The Scorpions are breaking up in three years? Schenker will be lucky if he isn't breaking a hip in three years.

January 26, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mike H.

Texxas Jam (sic) 1985 in Dallas was headlined by Deep Purple and The Scorpions. Even though Deep Purple played well and entertained the 75,000 or so fans in attendance, they couldn't outperform The Scorpions who they had to follow.

As breakups go, this is the way it should be done. There is no shame or embarrassment in retirement.

January 26, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dani from AZ

I want their retirement

January 26, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. spicoli

So who will know rock me like a hurricaine?

January 25, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. George Greek

I am 49, and grew up listening to the Scorpions (among others). Back in the 70's in the New Jersey/NYC area, only the real hardcore hard rock fans knew who they were, as they had not caught on yet in the states. This all started to change fast as more rock fans heard their music, and realized Uli Jon Roth, their guitarist, was the modern day answer to Jimi Hendrix and then some. To this day, Uli Roth is considered one of the best, most revered rock players EVER, with a very fluid, technical, and emotive style that touched souls. The undeniably unique, killer synergy created between Uli and Klaus Meine's German inflection was sensual and novel. The Scorpions were highly influential worldwide, and did for hard rock/metal what The Beatles did for pop/rock! And the amazing fact is that their music (especially the older stuff from 70's and 80's) blows away most hard rock and metal of today! LONG LIVE THE SCORPIONS!

January 25, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Rod

I saw the scorps 3 times in Denver in the period roughly 1985-2001 I think. I loved them each time and even ran into them in a hallway at McNichols Arena as I was being escorted in by security due to a disability. They aren't tall...yet they are larger than life. I have to admit that the news of their breakup...after a 3 year tour...is the best pr stunt they've ever pulled. The train is leaving the station folks...best get on board while the getting is good. -Rod-

January 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JC

PS – For all you runners out there – try running to "Rock You Like Hurricane" – pretty fricken' AWESOME!

January 25, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. JC

Didn't see too many ladies posting here so...Discovered the Scorpions in 79-80ish...Had a different sound than any other band of the time and yes dirk kennedy, they did 'represent' the cold war and afterwards...hard rocking passion and stinging guitar riffs...

Does anyone else get 'frisky' when they hear "There's no one like you...I can't wait for the nights with you...I imagine the things we do...I just want to be loved by you...I don't want my feelings restrained..." Hmm, maybe it is just me – time for a cold shower.

January 25, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. wtvwebcome

Not a Huge fan of Scorpions, but Corey...you are spot on. At least I can listen to their music today and still enjoy it. And the number of posts here at least indicate they are still relevant. Oh, and Ryan....ask Cher about how long it takes to retire

January 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Please, no reunion shows

You mean to say the Scorpions were still around. 1 less hair metal band to gig my town. Yeeeeaaaa!

January 25, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Barkingkitty

First found 'em back in '80 in high school, got seriously addicted in '83 at college. Loved In Trance, Fly to the Rainbow, Tokyo Tapes, plus Animal Magnetism (Lady Starlight is likely still my all-time favorite ballad.) Klaus is awesome, Rudolf rocks like his brother Michael, whose music I discovered as a result. Matthias got my panties in a wad back in the days – I will always remember the band very fondly. Best of luck to all the guys, and thanks for all the years of fantastic music!

January 25, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  23. John

I love these guys. Got a picture of myself and son with them at a meet and greet in San Diego at Cox Arena. I will miss them. I really connected with their lyrics and melodies. Hope to see them again on their final tour.

January 25, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. John 1037

I love this band so much that I have pet scorpions as a tribute. Long live the Scorps!!

January 25, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mike

Went to see the Scorps on their Love at First Sting tour at the Spectrum in Philly instead of going to my senior prom. Even though my date puked on her front porch after the show it was still one of the best choices I've ever made.

January 25, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Nick

Well................. Ask and Ye shall Receive...

I Googled Uli Jon Roth just to see what happened and...

Well, he's very much still around. His discography section has a few listings I haven't seen before. So, I'll be busy looking for those.
    And he's touring too!!
    Woo Hoo!!!!

-N

Oh yea, as for me, his solo on Tokyo Tapes "Kojo No Tsuki" (Moon Over Water) is absolutely unforgettable and Roth at his best.

January 25, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Matomand

"Still Loving You" takes me instantly to the mountains of Colorado, sunshine, river running and playing that song oh so loud!

January 25, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  28. coby

have been a fan since 1983. Seen them 7 times. They were my "favorite" rock band till the mid 90's. I think this is a real respectable move. Im sure when the tour is over you will see universal release a HUGE cd/DVD box set. Anyway, LOVE YOU GUYS! See ya on the tour!!!

January 25, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Prog Rocker

PURE INSTINCT and BLACKOUT are the best!!! What a great band.....maybe we can convince them to stick around for another 40 years!!!!

January 25, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jay Cooper

Will they be performing with OMEGA in the future, now that they have some time?

January 25, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. SFeighner

I wonder if Uli Jon Roth will make some appearances with the band as the tour begins to wind down and they're down to a few shows. That would be nice...

January 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Steven

Uli Jon Roth has done some guitar clinics in recent years. I saw him a couple years ago at Guitar Institute in Hollywood doing a show. He played a lot of his Scorpion songs. It was great – lot's of guest guitarist like Paul Gilbert.

January 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. GCMich

Why does this remind me of Spinal Tap?

January 25, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Ryan

So it takes three years to break up?

January 25, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Gus

Sounds like a Who retirement to me. Sure fire way to sell albums/downloads and tickets. They are a great band (seen them a few times) but this publicity stunt is ridiculous. Shameful.

January 25, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Nick

@landstuhl....

landstuhl January 25th, 2010 5:09 pm ET

This a bummer. Only 2nd to when Uli left the band. I have missed the sound they had then. I think I'll start the night with Tokyo Tapes, and go from there. Prost!

-Me too, man.
    When Uli left, it just wasn't the same. I remember being so unhappy.
    He was such a great and unique guitarist. Certainly the best rock guitarist to come out of Germany.

I'm not knockin the Scorps at all. It's just that when he left, so did that sound they had.

-N

January 25, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Dan The Man

Wow! I will definately see them on this last tour. I wish the Scorpions the best!

January 25, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Mr. Meteorite

I saw the Scorpions live in 1988 on the Monsters of Rock tour. I've been a fan since the 1980's. It's sad to see them go.

January 25, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Nick

@mfhpr....
    mfhpr January 25th, 2010 4:57 pm ET

Hey Nick, you wrote: To be honest, I'd be more interested in knowing whatever happened to Roth than what the Scorps are doing.

If you own Lovedrive you know the boys of Scorps got along just fine right after Roth left. Crank "Another Piece of Meat" and tell me they missed him...the Schenker Bros and Jabs lit it up! Not to mention, all the other fantastic music they produced after '79.

-thanks for the reply...

When Love Drive was released in the US (when it was new) that album cover with "the gum" was unavailable in the US. -I actually bought the other version in Bremehaven Germany. I actually 4 of them as gifts for friends.
    The "gum" cover became available at a later date. -Printed in the US too if I recall correctly.

I didn't ask if the band missed Roth.
    I asked what Roth was up to. I read somewhere he became a born again Christian. I have no idea if that's true.
    I do have his solo albums. To me, Roth was a disciple of Hendrix. It was so prevalent in his playing. I don't think I've ever heard anyone so closely match Hendrix like he did.

Good luck to you.

-N

January 25, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Levi

Wow– Hard to believe. They're for sure one of the most under-appreciated bands of late. Long Live The Sting! I for one will definitely be seeing this final tour...

January 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  41. landstuhl

January 25, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  42. mfhpr

January 25, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Big T

"Iron Maiden..... Now THAT is a band that Has Stuck together...Still relevant, and all Still original members"

Gee, I thought they had a different lead singer for the "Iron Maiden" and "Killers" albums.

January 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  44. mfhpr

If by chance you're waking from a deep slumber when reading this article and want to wake up real fast, I suggest you JAM to "Another Piece of Meat". Man, that's a rockin' tune!

January 25, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Englshguy

Going out with a bang – good for them
    Wind of Change was THE record of its decade

January 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  46. mfhpr

Reid, that is awesome! Now that's putting it into perspective!

January 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  47. matt

scorpions are entirely relevant – in Europe. I travel to Greece once a year and always see posters for their concerts. Heck, they sell out stadiums over there.

January 25, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  48. mfhpr

"Ummm... I stopped listening to them when Uli Jon Roth left the band.
    Years later I did buy a copy of "Love Drive". It was the German release with the very cool album cover that wasn't released in the US."

If you're referring to the babe in the back seat of the taxi, I have two that were released in the States: one that shows the gum on the breast and the one that doesn't have the gum! Both released here in U.S.

January 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Doug Shiloh

Breaking up – in 3 years? No, that's called retirement.

January 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jim Rousch

Maiden...original members.

Sorry.

Bruce Dickinson wasn't the original lead singer and Nicko Mc Brain was not the original drummer.

January 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jim Rousch

I saw them at Monsters of Rock in Los Angeles, 1988. They were a great band then, and are still today.

January 25, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Reid

...and now pardon me while I go jam "Dark Lady" and "The Zoo".,,,

January 25, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Michael Nelson

Hey big Dave, Iron Maiden is NOT all original members. Bruce Dickenson, Nikko McBrain, Janick Gers, & Adrian Smith are not original members.

January 25, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Reid

I think in Scorpions case all the jokes about "are they still together" and "they haven't been relevant" definitely don't hold water. Here in fast-food America, relevance is a matter of months, and certainly although Scorpions haven't been "relevant" in America for awhile, I would imagine that they still draw sizable crowds and manage decent album sales in Europe and Asia (hence the need for such a protracted "farewell tour"). And while am by no means an old fogey that doesn't listen to anything recorded past my high school days (which was when the Scorps were in their "prime"), I will sound all grampa-like and point out that I don't envision Vampire Weekend or Lady Gaga mounting farewell tours forty years from now.

January 25, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Big Dave

Iron Maiden..... Now THAT is a band that Has Stuck together...Still relevant, and all Still original members...... Scorps...eh, i wont miss them!!!!

January 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  56. mfhpr

Worldwide Live, Baby! There's no better live album than that one. If you haven't heard it, I strongly suggest you take a listen. Perhaps sample it on I-Tunes, at least. It may inspire you to go see them on this final tour...Love the Scorps!

First time I saw them was in '79 with Ted Nugent and AC/DC (Bon Scott era) at Riverfront Coliseum in Cincy. Unbelievable show!

January 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Frank69for2

This is how we tell how old we are getting!!! I seen them back in 84 in Tacoma. Just an awesome show. My favorite song has always been Loving you Sunday Morning. They are one of the reasons that the 80's really rocked!! Add Van Halen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motley Crue, etc. and your head hurt from banging it so much!!! Very few bands today can come close to really rockin it!! Thanks guys for the music!!

January 25, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  58. We'll Burn the Sky

Discovered Scorpions in '78 while living in Zweibruecken Germany as a military brat. "Lovedrive" album blew me away. At the same time the band had not broken big so they were still playing the smaller venues and I saw them in a downtown Gymnasium. The band signed my blue jeans and had a few drinks with us. Moved to Florida in '80 and brought their music with me. Turned on many others to their music. "Animal Magnetism" "Blackout" and "World Wide Live" were excellent albums by anyone's guage. An influential band. Not the same as I remember them but still true to their music. Probably time to retire and enjoy the fruits of the labor. They will always rock but for now, "The smoke is coming down"

January 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Fred, King of Mars

Saw them in Philly back in 78 or 79 (somebody help me here), when they opened for Nugent. It was Def Leppard w/ original guitarist Pete Willis, Scorpions, and Uncle Ted. Philadelphia Spectrum.

January 25, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Scott

I am absolutely shocked by this news! I, like many before me, thought they broke up 20 years ago.

I saw them in '88 on the Monsters of Rock tour at Alpine Valley, WI. First show of that tour. I still remember how much they didn't go over with the crowd. They weren't boo'd or anything. It's just that they were on the bill with 4 other bands that were more relevant to the young crowd.

January 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  61. mike in memphis

The Scorpions were never really that good. They had a few good songs, "Loving you Sunday Morning", "China White" and......well thats all i can think of. I will say that I saw them on Monsters of Rock 1988 and did enjoy them, but just never cared for their songs.

January 25, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  62. kp

the scorps are a terrific band, and good guys. i'm in the concert biz and have worked with them several times. they are a great live band, and are professional in every way. a promoters dream. and for the wise guys out there who think they are passe and nobody cares – the scorps fans dig them, and they do sellout business everywhere i've ever booked them – 8000 PAID tickets in socal season before last. best of luck to klaus and his mates.

January 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  63. J.Crobuzon

They had a good run, got rich, changed lives, and now it's time to go. Thanx guys!

January 25, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jacob

Scorpions have been my boys for over 20 years. Though I hate to see them break up, they've had the best career of any classic rock band I know, and they've earned their peace and quiet. Farewell boys.

January 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Karthik

This article is three years too early. A lot can happen in three years...

January 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Nick

Boy... This is one of those moments that happens occasionally and makes you realize how Old you are.

Ummm... I stopped listening to them when Uli Jon Roth left the band.

January 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Jacky G.

Dirk Kennedy, You nailed it. I can only add "Love" - in all it's manifestations - to those insights expressed by the Scorpions in their Music...Something I found further of that "Hope" you speak of, but it was Both that captivated me as a Fan...not that "Senseless Death 'n Distruction" as sung of the likes of other "Metal Bands" of the '80's era.

January 25, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Charles

Rudy Schenker is one of the most underrated guitarists ever. Anybody who's picked up an axe appreciates him, though the public might not know who he is.

January 25, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Canada

I have seen them before and they were GREAT!Will be sure to see them on their farwell tour.They will be missed, groups just don't make that kind of music anymore.

January 25, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Mark L.

I got to see the Scorpions about 14-years ago @ the Sunrise Musical Theater in South FL. They were extraordinarily FANTASTIC !! It was one of the BEST Rock Concerts I ever went too. I've been a fan of the Scorpions since the release of their Animal Magnetism album, which featured their Super Hit – The Zoo. One of their GREATEST Hits that I've basically lived my life by, especially when lifting weights in the gym: "Don't Stop at the Top (Touch the Sky Before You Drop) !!"... This SUPER Band BELONGS in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame !! The Scorpions are, without a doubt, one of the GREATEST Hard Rock Bands of ALL TIME !! I salute the Scorpions for ALL their GREAT Songs and Entertainment that they've shared with us all these years. Now before the "BLACKOUT", get out on Stage and "ROCK US ALL LIKE A HURRICANE" one last time...Remember, there's "NO ONE LIKE YOU" Scorpions...You were the ABSOLUTE BEST.

January 25, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Dana

I saw the "Scorps" on the Monsters of Rock tour in '89.
    Kingdon Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions, and Van Halen.

Scorps were outstanding. They sound like the album. One of the best bands to hear live.

January 25, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  72. ZZ

Will miss the group. saw them 30 years ago they rocked.
    All good thing must end. Much better then the socalled nutered rock of today.

January 25, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  73. CL

to the guy who said : "Rudy and Matthias are a barometer for which all guitar players are judged"

You must be joking ! If you want to say this about Michael Schenker
    ( Rudolfs brother) or Uli Jon Roth (another Scorpion guitarist from early days) you will be taken seriously. Matthias Jabs plays good but he is NOT a guitar god as Michael and Uli are considered.

January 25, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mark Pinto

My intro to the Scorpions came when I bought a Dr Hook greatest hits cassette tape, played it, and out came songs from the Scorpions "Blackout" album (which a friend of mine identified). Though I am not a metal fan (per se) I have enjoyed many of their hits with my favorite being Wind of Change. Congrats to them on a tremendous career, I wish them all the best and look forward to the reunion tours.

January 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  75. My dog is named after Klaus!

at least they gave us 3 years to proscess this horrible news oh well

I named My little German Schnauzer after Klaus because he was the only German name I thought worthy of the coolest dog in the world!

January 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Britt

For those of you who only know the hits, check out the 70' Scorpions. Heavier sound with great hooks and screaming Hendrix-style lead guitar by Uli Roth. In Trance, Virgin Killer, Taken By Force are all gems worth discovering!

January 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  77. nic

"We'll Burn the Sky." BEST. ROCK. BALLAD. EVER.

January 25, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Steven

The Scorpions are one of the most under-rated bands EVER. Put them in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame NOW!!!!

January 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Brian Osborn

Title of this article should have read, "Scorpions Announce they are Still Together". This would have been more newsworthy.

January 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Hesher

Saw them on the "Mullets of Fire" tour in 89, sweeter than a rusted out 1977 Camaro!

January 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  81. j blaine

Great posts Dirk Kennedy. North America is not the center of the universe...although we tend to think it is sometimes, and relevance is a personal thing, especially to those of us that decide for OURSELVES what we listen too.

January 25, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  82. jim

I'm shocked this wasn't posted as breaking news.

January 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  83. pat

Great live band. If you didn't know they were still around, think about getting out more.

January 25, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  84. RS1981

Oh man ! I remember my childhood days hanging out with my fav aunt, her boyfriend at that time, and my brother and all of us headbanging to Scorpions, and other great metal bands of the day. I'm sorry to see them break up, but it's probably for the best. Thanks for the memories guys !

January 25, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  85. dirk Kennedy

One thing I forgot to mention: this thing about relevance. Locked inside the bubble of the american way of life, Most people dont realize that scorpions were a symbol of hope through the cold war. Being german, they experienced communism first hand. half their country was divided.
    their songs were a positive message for all who hoped one day democracy would win out . These songs delivered hope for all the oppressed dreaming for a life of freedom Something we all take for granted. So while Scorpions might not have been relevant to america anymore, their relevance to the people behind the Iron Curtain was profound. Wind Of change Is their anthem .

January 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Jacky G.

I first saw the Scorps standing in line behind Me at the cafe located inside Cologne Studio Summer '78. My amp caught fire during a recording session that day, and they'd evacuated the Studios! We were there while on tour to the Montreux Festival with the M-A Jazz Band lookin' SOoooo Square, and they were all Rocked-Out in Black Leather 'n Chrome Diamonds 'n Spikes... I was afraid to introduce myself! In '83 I came to love 'em for "Black Out", which is their best effort YTD, but I also love "Moments of Glory" because only THEN could My Wife - a Classical Pianist" - relate to the Music. I'm bummed to hear they'll "retire", but so glad it's going to take 'em three years to do it...hopefully I'll make a show! Hey Mattias...Wuz ME with the Black-Out glasses in NorCal @ Clear-Lake Summer '02, and Yes...I.O.U. a "Fatty"

January 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Josee Simard

If you have a chance to see them in concert, GO! They are one of the best I've seen, they rock hard! Sad to hear, they're done, but like one of the previous comments says: they are doing it with class! Thanks for the great music and good luck guys!

January 25, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Corey

The Scorps may have been irrelevant for the last several years, but the reason is because the industry won't allow them to be relevant. It's the same for all bands like this that had their heyday in the 80's. The crap we are now forcefed by radio is what's irrelevant because there's no imagination in it. Sample someone else's groove, throw any number of vulgar and inappropriate lyrics over it, get inked, show as much of your t*ts as possible, do a lap dance, and you're a hit. They don't have to work for it. It used to be that music acts had to earn their stardom. Today it's all fabricated by the industry.

January 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  89. BendMike

Saw these guys for the first time in the early eighties when Bon Jovi opened for them at the Sacramento Amphitheatre and also when they toured with Iron Maiden.. Lads we will miss you here in the States............Rocked Us Like A Hurricane....

January 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Scappy

We are not "breaking up" we are retiring.
    It's been a blast, its just time to do something else.

The Scrapp Man

January 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  91. ks

Boo-At leaste we have all the music, I am sad

January 25, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  92. BWinc

Bummer. I've always had fun with their music when I spent my teen years in Europe, back in the 70s . When I came back to the US playing their cassettes my fellow teens were saying "Who are they?" and "Scorpions who?". Two months later Rock You Like A Hurricane hit the radio waves in the US. Good times.

January 25, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Prescotti

Breaking up? I didn't know they were still together. 1984 was all about Love at First Sting for me. My Sophomore year in HS, my favorite year.

January 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Agbaybayad

These guys play some lightning beats and high notes, they sure took music and stretch it to its furthest dimension. RUCK OOOONNNN!!!!

January 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Jack

This is the best way for them to end the band. They don't want to be like the Rolling Stones and turn back into piles of dirt while performing onstage.

January 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Vancouver 2010

This is a sad day I LUV THE SCORPIONS !!! Rock on

January 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Ed

It's too bad bands of a certain era get classified as "cheese" even though they had musical chops, a level of creativity and professional sensibility rarely seen in this era of Idol-manufactured disposal pop stars. I heard a song by a recent artist (Pop Evil) who wasn't bad, but was using riffs that these guys have done years ago. Pop Evil was considered one of the top artists of 2008 yet his songs are all based on music that is now considered cheese – go figure.

Good to see the scorps go out on their own terms. Don't know how recent that photo is, but they look to be in good shape – and the Rock N Roll lifestyle is usually not kind!

January 25, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  98. dirk Kennedy

The Scorpions are one of the most influential rock bands of all time. Almost every single popular metal band would cite them as a major catalyst for them becoming musicians. Sure they wrote about sex, cars and blackouts, but they were never scandalous. NO drug re-habs no high profile sex affairs. They were Just the one band who insisted in keeping the music pure regardless of alternative darling bands who came and went with the wind. Their brand was to make you want to ROCK. Now as cheesy as that might have been in the era of grunge,
    they didn't care because it was their belief and they never strayed.
    Klaus is still one of the greatest rock singers of all time and he is flawless live. Rudy and Matthias are a barometer for which all guitar players are judged. Class, style and incredible melodies are their hallmark, something that has never been emulated. Their last Album Humanity: hour 1 was such a surprise because not only was it their best but (in response to SANDY's above statement) made them relevant. Long Live the Scorpions! and for being the soundtrack to my life. Auf Wiedersehen

January 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Anon

You mean they're still alive?

January 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  100. charlie

The bands of today can not even compare to bands like this one. They have stood the test of time and their music still sounds fresh years later. I will always be a scorpions fan forever and ever.

January 25, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Buggo

It's "Scorpions" not "The" Scorpions.

January 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Ar Chaic

What are you gonna tell me now – that Led Zeppelin are breaking up too?!

January 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  103. ZeketheFreak

My best Scorpions story. Boarded a plane from Denver to Portland. The entire first class section was reserved for Hulk Hogan's wrestling entourage. That put the band, The Scorpions in with us regulars. So intermittently they were seated in coach class. Black leathers teased hair and plenty of loud laughter made for a fun flight along with the first class jokers trying to garner attention to the front. Scorps were good blokes.
    ZtF

January 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Steven

I liked the early albums. I didn't buy anything after Love at First Sting. Love Tokyo Tapes. Saw them at US Festival in 1983 and more recently a couple of years ago in San Jose HP Pavillion. They had a good run.

January 25, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Kathy

One of the great bands I became aware of in the 80's - they were/are masters of the power ballad, and shall be missed. I agree with some of the postings here...too bad great music like this is not supported by mainstream radio in the US. All the great rock bands now perform in Europe and Japan, where fans in those countries appreciate and support the good stuff.

January 25, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Ghost

They're breaking up?!?!? Three years from now???

January 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Randy

I'll never forget pulling into the train station in East Berlin in 1990 and hearing "Wind of Change" blasting out.

January 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  108. James in Michigan

Sounds a lot like Ozzy when I went to his farewell concert over 10 years ago...just another way to try and sell as many tickets as possible.

January 25, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Debra R

Will miss you guys, but enjoy your retirement. You have earned it.

January 25, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  110. steve

vee are Scorpions, vee are here to rock!

January 25, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Pat Cannon

I'll be hoising a beer to them tonight, and hoping I can get Farewell Tour tickets. There never was a hard rock band that combined superb musicianship, great melodies, wonderful hooks, and a sense of fun like Scorpions did. I saw them on the Love At First Sting tour (Bon Jovi opened) and they blew the roof off of the place.

January 25, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Mike J

Rock You Like a Hurricane is one of the best rock songs to come out of the '80s. Although I'm not a huge fan of the Scorpions, it's good to know they have lasted this long and are going to go out on a high note, unlike sooo many bands that break up over stupid drama.

January 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  113. tlc

Discovered the Scorps back in 79, or 80 maybe. Been a fan ever since and have seen them live at least half a dozen times. Sad to hear they are retiring but wish them the best, they deserve it for all the great music over the years.

January 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Sandy

They stopped being relevant 20 years ago...

January 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Kat

I still haven't figured out what I am going to do without them. Their music has helped me with some very dark periods in my life. They are the greatest Live Band on the planet! So if you get a chance check them out on this tour.

January 25, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Chris

"The Scorpions' current lineup consists of Rudolf Schenker – who founded the group in 1965" .... 1965?!?!?!?!?!?!

January 25, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  117. J Blaine

They are one of the best live acts I have ever seen. It's such a shame that radio does not support these great bands....they continue to make great music but most people think they broke up years ago. Stop listening to the junk on the radio you are being force fed....support the great music not on the radio...both new and classic.

January 25, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Joel

Saw them in Ottawa a couple of summers ago. Put on a great show and sounded great.

January 25, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Meh...

im sure after the 3 year tour and LP sales, their bank accounts will look DIESEL.

January 25, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  120. dan

Black Out album was there best thing these guys ever did, funny you don't hear much about it. When I was a kid it was the album we were all listening to. It also had good air play on radio. I great rock album! Always loved this band, grat Rock-N-Roll!

January 25, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Mark Oxford

I hope I am one of the lucky ones who get to see the Scorpions perform. Scorpion fans should check out Humanity Hour 1, the bands newest offering. The album mainly consists of some of the best power ballads the band has ever performed with definite spiritual overtones. Check out "We Were Born To Fly" and "The Game Of Life." The band has not forgotten rock and roll with "321'"It's 321, are you ready to rock? This simply says it all.

January 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  122. whatwoot

The Scorpions are still together?

January 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  123. griffmills

I thought they had broken up 20 years ago.

January 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Kenny Rankin

Am I the only one not to know they were still together?

January 25, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  125. David

The Scorpions put on one of THE BEST live shows ever. Even if you're not a fan you'll love it. They sound better live than on a recording.

January 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Paul

I need to take the day off to process this.

January 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Phil in Minneapolis

That's too bad, but at least they're retiring and not breaking up over a bitter dispute. Much of today's "music" could learn a lot from this band.

January 25, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |