January 25th, 2010

Hollywood and Haiti: Who's giving what?

One of the commenters today on our Haiti telethon blog post made an interesting request: "I would like to see a list of all the Hollywood types who have contributed to this telethon and how much they contributed.  Actions speak louder than words (or performances)."

Of course, as other posters noted, those performances were aimed at increasing donations, by getting more people to tune in to the telethon.  In addition, many celebrities are donating their time to raising funds and awareness for the cause, such as Ben Stiller's fundraising through Save The Children for a school in Haiti. And, as unlikely as it may seem, some celebs may have contributed without putting out press releases.

Nevertheless, this sounded like a "Find The Good" challenge, so here's what I've been able to dig up.  This list is by no means complete, or in any kind of order, but it should provide an idea of who's giving what.

• George Clooney: $1 million to the telethon fund, in addition to organizing it.
  • Leonardo DiCaprio: $1 million to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund.
  • Madonna: $250,000 to the Haitian care provider Partners in Health.
  • Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt: $1 million to Doctors Without Borders.
  • Lance Armstrong: $125,000 each to Partners in Health and Doctors Without Borders.
  • Sandra Bullock: $1 million to Doctors Without Borders.
  • Gisele Bundchen: $1.5 million to the Red Cross.
  • Alyssa Milano: $50,000 to UNICEF.
  • Oprah Winfrey: $1 million to the Red Cross.

In addition, Shakira announced an initiative to build a new school in Haiti, Radiohead raised some $572,000 for Haitian relief by auctioning off tickets to an impromptu Los Angeles show, Lady Gaga is donating the proceeds from her New York show and her website sales yesterday, and nearly a dozen artists donated never-before-released songs to Music For Relief to benefit the Download to Donate for Haiti Campaign.

1. F 18

That is very fascinating, You're a very professional blogger. I've joined your feed and look ahead to seeking extra of your great post. Additionally, I've shared your website in my social networks

April 7, 2012 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. ReRe

I appreciate that the celebrities donated to the people of Haiti but the fact 'Was that the most they could donate'? Celebrities of course make money from us people, thanks to us they are rich but when its time to give back they wanna be cheap. How ashame! I strongly agree with JP. Us, we work our butt off and even struggle in life to make a dollar but then again they just sit back & relax while we buy their cds/movies and many more and they have the audocity to not give back. I would be ashame if I was them. I think we need to stop wasting money on what the celebrities have to offer because it sure is a defiicit for us whereas its an advantage for them. Look at Beyonce, I doubt that she donated even a penny to the Haiti fund which is very cheap. She is cheap to her own pastor why would she not be cheap to donate to Haiti. That's a big shame! If I was her, I would feel so embarrass that I would not show my face in television ever again.
    One message for you people: OPEN YOUR EYES & stop wasting your money on celebrities because they making money from our pockets.

January 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ester

well, everybody there gave what thinked to be necessary in this moment... It's obvious others can help and don't help...
    I'M BRAZILIAN and here almost nobody talked about it, the only Famous Brazilian to give money was Gisele Bundchen*

January 29, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. A Jonas fan

Why aren't the Jonas Brothers listed on this list? They gave a considerable amount of money to Convoy of Hope, in order to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor people of Haiti. They should definantely be on this list. In fact, the Jonas Brothers have given so much they are going to be honored by the TJ Martell foundation.

January 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Craziness Abounds

I can't speak for Madonna, but Oprah's charitable giving is well documented. She stated on Gayle King's radio show that she is donating $1 million of her personal money and that she will also donate more money through her foundation, Angel Network. The foundation was researching which organization(s) to donate money to that would have the biggest, quickest impact. She also stated that it will likely be planned giving over several years, because the needs are so great and will persist for years to come. She also runs a girl's school in S. Africa. These are two of the many organizations she supports.

If you're petty enough to rag on anyone's giving, that's your deal, but do some research first. Most entertainers have their organizations that they support on an ongoing basis. Not to mention that if you had any knowledge about planned giving, you would appreciate that most monied people set aside a certain amount that they plan to give on an annual basis. My guess is that the Haiti donation is on top of what they have already committed to other organizations for the year. They may have millions, hundred's of millions, but for that money to last for their lives and that of their heirs, they have to have a plan in place. Plus, just because someone has made a certain amount, doesn't mean that's what they have in liquid assets, not to mention the taxes they incur. These people actually have financial plans in place. Do you?

That's my problem with some of the people who show up on comment strings and supports why I rarely read them, because they just spout baseless, undocumented nonsense and then other people read it and take it for true. My second grader is learning how to document facts for a research paper. Maybe some of you folks need to go back to second grade and learn how to fact check before you post.

Haters!

January 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. walkthrough

I agree with Nobody's business.

January 29, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Nobody's business

Who gave what to whom is nobody's business besides that of the donor, the recipient and the IRS.

January 28, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jeanne

has travolta brainwashed haiti yet?

January 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Texas Democrat

Hey, let's not forget our reason for giving. Jesus asks us to give from the HEART! No amount will be rejected and ALL donations will help. No one is obligated ( legally) to help, but WE are just fulfilling a need. For those of us who can't afford to give but a little; pray alot. Jesus WILL supply all that is needed; if we pray. "IF MY PEOPLE WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME WILL HUMBLE THEMSELVES AND PRAY "AND" TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS I WILL HEAL THEIR LAND". That is scripture. Not ALL applied to this story, but we should give from the heart, not grudgingly. Jesus will bless us for our gifts. Many of these celebrities are constantly giving and we can't judge them by this one time of giving. They have charities that they support constantly. Bless them for helping. I am glad I was able to give something and will continue to pray for those poor people. God bless them all.

January 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. herb robbins

Where is Mr. P Diddy's name.

He creates headlines by giving his 16 years old son a $360,000 Mercedes Maybach and the kid doesn't even know how to drive. Thank God.

His values has collapsed with the buildings in Haiti, he has no credibility with anything he says or the products he endorses.

All he care about is fancy cars, diamonds and vodka.

A great man of the people.

Heaven helps us all.

HR

January 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tom

$250,000 is a lot of money, even to these people. Oprah gave a million, but that's only a week's pay for her. Did you give a week's pay? I didn't...

January 28, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. Daniel

Yes Madonna did have the highest grossing concert. it does not mean she got all the money she has to pay for her promoters her dancers her manager etc. She has done other things to. You gus do not give her enought credit. Did you know how much Bill gates gave or Steve Jobs From Apple gave. Some people do not diclosed thier earnings or donations. Some are private and some are not. Just get of her back. She gave something. Did any of you gave anything to the Relief efforts? Think About that.

January 28, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. Larry

It amazes me how much money this country, especially it's celebrities, raise &/or donate money to other countries. Why don't they take that money & donate to a local cause? I'm all for helping other countries, but at what cost?

January 28, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. TPLondon

CyndieKing, I completely agree with you! It is nobody's business how much anyone gives. Until last year I never knew that Barbara Streissand is one of the biggest donors in the entertainment world! She always kept it private, like any donation should be, in my opinion. If it is a small or big amount, the thought is what is important.

January 28, 2010 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. Molly

I gave what I could. It wasn't much, but I hope it helps to wipe away the tears from at least one child who has had to endure such devastation. I don't understand why people are critizing "celebrities" who have donated to help with human suffering. And, I am quite certain that these same "celebrities" were there to help after 9-1-1 and Katrina. I, for one, appreciate their help. My special thanks to John Travolta who flew is own commercial plane filled with donations to help these poor people. I am proud to be an American. We are a giving and compassionate people.

January 28, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. Izzy55

Interesting that the starts can fine money for Haiti but don't help the country that supports them. Maybe they should go live there & see what their gross yearly income is.

January 27, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Suzy

Isn't it really about the gift of giving and not the amount? Even the smallest gift can be an enormous blessing to those in need.

January 27, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jenny

I understand that Tiger Woods donated $3 million; nice to hear something positive about him for a change instead of everyone always jumping on his case about other matters that he is working through – go Tiger!

January 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dee

Stop complaining about how much any specific person donated. Not everyone has easy access to large sums in just a few days. I applaud their efforts. We all know their money is locked up in trusts and tax sheltered accounts. Madonna will continue to donate over the long hault as they rebuild the country. Most people gave $10 and now they want the problem to go away....but it won't.

January 27, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Unimpressed by Ninnies

With the exception of Oprah Winfrey, where are the black entertainers on this list of giving money?

Perhaps all of you who are complaining Madonna only gave 250,000 dollars should think about that! Perhaps this same group of complainers should also chalk up how much they have given (probably no more than their hot air in this blog!).

January 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. CK

Jennifer Aniston gave $500,000. It was on the ET last night. Just because people are not listed on this article does not mean that they have not donated. Wishing for less snark in the world!!!

January 27, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. CK

Jennifer Anaston gave $500,000. It was on the ET last night.

January 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sonja

I have a problem with the US giving away to all countries. Who helped the Americans with the 911 attack, Katrina, and all the other disasters? We are here with open wallets when it comes to other countries; while we have people here in the US homeless, can't feed their children due to job loss, and without insurance. Who will help the Amerians? I don't care about giving anything to anybody beyond the US boarders!

January 27, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Pyr_Girl

To the poster with the question on Gisele Bundchen's donation – It was reported locally (in the Boston area) that her initial donation was $1M. Then it went up to $1.5M with $500K added from Tom Brady. Good for them.

January 27, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Maryann

I don't have a problem with any of these stars helping the people of Haiti. However, I would like to ask all of them if they also make those same kind of donations to organizations that help people right here at home. It seems to me whenever there is a disaster outside of the US, everyone jumps to help which is great. But there are still people living with the aftermath of Katrina, there are still people that are going hungry and living on the streets right here in the USA. I think we have to start looking to help on the homefront.

January 27, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. bina

why not dig up stats on what hollywood gives to U.S. Charities? we could all agree that there is some degree of need in our own country.

January 27, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  27. Natalie

it wouldn't madonna gave $1...the point is she contributed. don't bash her for that...you're complaining about $250,000 donations....what have you given??? hmmmmm

God bless...

January 27, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  28. Debbie

January 27th, 2010 9:52 am ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    83 million viewers and only 60 million dollars? I think they could have just given their time and money directly to the cause. I am tired of the grandstanding personally. I'm curious to know, If all the stations that carried the show would have had regular programing and donated all the money, what the total would be? If the stars would have all got on a plane and went over and really did something to help, ( since they have so much time on their hands) How many more lives would have been saved. Couldn't they all just donate without having their faces all over every station. Oh but then they wouldn't get the publicity. It trully makes me sick. They make so much money for playing dress up, I don't know how they sleep at night. How about the Doctior, Nurses and relief workers, that have to cut off a childs leg with a hacksaw? How much are they making? I also think most people watched the show just to see the stars. The next day all I heard was how wonderful BlaBla was. When I asked did you donate most said no. It had nothing to do with haiti. But Brad and Jen were in the same room! That made the news.
    The people who give do so because they know it's right. Not because someone gets up and sings and shows horrible pictures.
    They always want to make it about them,It's not about them.
    Also I would like to comment on cnn's coverage. I am really tired of everyone reporting of what we do wrong. Do you have any idea how that makes the people feel who are over there doing there best to help. If the government of Haite wasn't robbing their people to begin with they could have helped their own people, until the world could get to them. I'd like to know how much was paid to the government to just let us in. Don't say nothing, we all know third world countrys don't do anything unless they get paid. No wonder the world hates us!!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  29. Staci

I feel horrible for the Haitian people, it's a shame what happened, HOWEVER, what about what is happening here in the US? I am unemployed and have been searching for a job for over a year and can no longer make ends meet, where is my freakin' telethon? Why is it that the US can only reach in it's pocket when it comes to helping out another country!! Charity starts at home!! I am not saying not to help but you should take care of home first, which is not being done, drop a billion or two into the US economy, make sure there is noone homeless or hungry here, then go help whomever you like!! In regard to the donations coming from Hollywood, some stars do donate to other charities on a regular basis and this may not be their charity of choice, realistically they are not obligated to donate, noone is, if they choose to it's their choice but it's funny how those who did were bashed if the dollar amount didn't meet with the publics' expectation. So Madonna "only" donated $250K, what about all the other ridiculously high paid stars? Can someone say Conan?!! And to "Ohio"..right on!! Completely agree!!

January 27, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  30. EDDIE

it a wonderful thing the stars are doing for our brothers in haiti in the international community as well,but i worry that after a while this will all die down.we must continue the work to build haiti they had nothing before they surely are without now please lets help the people of haiti for years to come.god bless all of you.

January 26, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  31. TexasBlu

I agree with DDSilks, instead of worrying about which star gave the most to Haiti, why not be worried about what they AREN'T giving back to their own country. We have homeless Americans, hungry children, and single mothers busting butt to pay their bills. Where are the fundraisers for America?

January 26, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. DDSilks

.Who among the international arena came to our aid during 9/11 and Katrina? I am not saying that Haiti, who is not a rich country at all, should have donated millions to us. But who else helped us?
    And, did you ever see the way some of our own people live in south Georgia or Mississippi?
    Food for thought.

January 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Ohio

I guarantee you that a LOT MORE celebrities contributed to Obama's presidency than are giving to Haiti. Guaranteed. Where's "the Boss"? "Barbara Streisand"? "JLo?" Conan O'Brien was just handed $45 million to leave his job! How about all these spoiled brat basketball players and football players? Give us a break! Any idiot can answer a phone and take other people's money. Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan – give it up, greed bags!

January 26, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jules

This is to Amy- Americans might have the option of going to a shelter but that does not mean it's a good option. Some shelters are run like businesses by greedy owners who claim they're non -profit but are embezzling donated funds that are supposed to be used for the homeless. They also hire ex-cons and so -called ex-drug addicts to run and manage these shelters that are supposed to be safe for homeless people and their children. Alot of these people take advantage of peoples homeless situations and abuse their authority. They mistreat and are abusive towards homeless people and overall exploit homeless people. Vista,CA /Northern San Diego County

January 26, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  35. DDY

People, giving is personal and that's that, this should not even be on CNN. I'm disappointed that it is here to be honest. The fact that everyone above gave says a lot no matter what it is.....and besides this may/may not be true, we never know what these individual have really done

January 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Patrick

A couple of observations. So Haiti is the disaster du jour this month. All of the likely limousine liberals are all trying to out do themselves and see who can give more. They could care less where the money goes as long as they give to soothe their collelctive guilty consciences – that's part of being a bleeding heart liberal. Give more to what? A completely dysfunctional & corrupt country who has been receiving billions of dollars of aid from other countries for years. Instead of using that money to build housing that could withstand the terrible earthquake that has devastated this poor country, it was stolen & squandered. Just like most of the donations will be this time around. People should give what they want – not feel obligated out of guilt – & give wisely. I'm not a big Madonna fan – musically or politically. However, it's unfair to judge her generosity. Madonna – take a good look at the crowd you run with – like most fascist minded liberals – if you don't walk in lockstep with them, they will promptly throw you under a bus – this may be your wake up call.

January 26, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mia

I gave what I could. If I had the money, I would have given more. Thanks to all who are donating. My hope is the money gets to the right people, and it goes to good use. Bless all of the people there.

January 26, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. JP

Our worst day in America is Haiti's best day. No one in America has to go hungry or without shelter. However, a lot of people in America choose to because they don't want to live by rules and regulations set by these shelters so they choose to live on the streets. My reason for thinking celebrities should do more is that they make their money from us and if we're displeased as to how they handle things of this matter, we need to stop suppoting them. We make them rich. We support their movies songs, etc. BeYonce wouldn't support her Pastor so why are we surprised that she would support Haiti. She knows her church's agenda in Houston, which feeds thousands of people everyday and when they lost their grant to support their endeavors she did nothing. I saw her Pastor basically cry in the pulpit and she did nothing. Yes, I'm part of the working class and I did donate.

January 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. emanht

Refrain from speaking negavitely about anyone's donation. Let us rather applaud their efforts in whatever capacity they deem reasonable. As a Haitian native, I am appreciative of the outpouring of love from each of these individuals, even those who gave $1 to the relief effort.
    They do not have an obligation to give; they are only doing it from their hearts; that is what counts.
    To all who have given, I appreciate you.
    Your prayers are also encouraged.

January 26, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Sigmond

How can you bash somebody that gave thousands of dollars that they earned away?

250k or 1.5m, it's really there prerogative no?

Some mini comm-ies running around in here.

January 26, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Nancy

Amazing that Mother Theresa carried all of her possessions in a small bag when Madonna is "so wealthy". Mother Theresa will be remembered for all eternity. The "other" will be soon forgoten.

January 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Christine

Stop bashing Madonna, Oprah has more money than anyone and she could have given more than any of them

January 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Barbara Spieth

for those who criticize Madonna, take note of her gigantic efforts in Malawi. The Haiti tragedy it beyond comprehension, but remember, there are so many many places in this world that need aid and compassion. I full heartedly commend Madonna and those who are passionate and have not forgotten the needs of other people, even in light of the Haiti disaster. If the media kept front and center the needs of the world 24/7, maybe insensitive people would not criticize good-doers such as Madonna.

January 26, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Donna

It's great that all these people gave to Haiti. However, since there's obviously that kind of money around, why aren't they helping to feed and cloth the homeless and poor here in the US too? Don't get me wrong, we should help Haiti but why aren't some of these people also helping and contributing to the needs right her in our own country?

January 26, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Brian

It's great all the help people have given to Haiti, now what about all the people in this country that are starving??? Huh??? I saw a documentary about hos some people are living iun shacks, no floor just dirt, no water, no plumbing, no food, now what about all these people and what about all the people that have lost jobs and houses and now living in cars???

January 26, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  46. Emo

Thanks to these celebrities for their donation to people in need. People forget that Madonna and others donating to other causes too! Good thing they make a lot of money, so they can donate. We hear about their donation, because they are celebrities. Folks say nobody care about US homeless people. It's not true. There are many people in US who care about the homeless people. They are community driven. They don't make news on CNN. Here are two organizations who help the homeless and their animals. Donate to them: basicneedsfoundation.org/ , thecatalyst-foundation.org/

January 26, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  47. ginny

These people didn' t broadcast giving this money someone dug up this list in answer to a question and they said it isn't complete.

These people do also do things to help this country by employing thousands of people on tv shows, movies, etc.

Yes we do have people who are not well of in this country and this country has many programs for them even though I know many need more help and things definitely need to improve.

But Haiti has nothing to rebuild with, you are talking about an entire country that is in ruins.

And all the hate in the comments above is a very sad commentary on what America has become. Give what you can give, I did it wasnt much but I haven't worked in 3 years and gave what I could.

January 26, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  48. Jaygirl

The fact that they all gave generously to the relief effort is admirable.

January 26, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  49. Mary

I have to take issue with the post from "Flor" regarding how much of the donations go to overhead costs of the agencies providing relief. I know the American Red Cross' administrative overhead is only $.09 on every dollar which is one of the lowest of all American not-for-profits. People should always research the agencies that you are looking to donate your hard earned money to, there are plenty of them doing great work with very little going toward overhead!

January 26, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  50. Deanna

I would like to be a little more generous and say thank you to everyone that gave from their heart. Impressing others was not the reason for the telethon. It was to help people in need. I gave more than I should and it was ONLY $25 but plan to do more in the future, as I can. Who knows what other deeds others are planning. It is not for us to judge.
    Again thanks for every penny donated. Let's take time to remember those poor souls that remain in Haiti and do what we can.

January 26, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  51. Shoiens

I take back my statement Maddona is a "cheap granny". Yes she can't sing or dance but she is not a "cheap granny". She gave what she wanted and it really isn't my business or anyone elses. Plus she isn't a granny yet she just kind of looks like one.

January 26, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  52. Debbie

Nobody should EVER pass judgment on how much somebody donates, or even if they donate. Donate what YOU can and move on.
    All of this wondering how much has been given and by who is nonsense. You really have no idea why that person made that choice, just be thankful they gave. Even $5 adds up. Please be kinder to the very generous givers from our celebrity community! I'm thankful for the thousands of caring stars who gave...... Kudos to all!

January 26, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  53. Sarah

Anyone criticizing the amount of the donation is way out of line. The point is that these people gave THEIR OWN MONEY to support a cause. They have no obligation to donate x% of their own salary.

January 26, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  54. Frank

I think it's great that these entertainers donated for such a worthy cause. It is regrettable that so many people feel the need to criticize one star or another for not giving $1M. With any luck the $250K that Madonna gave will help an innumerable amount of people in need. Regardless of what we think she (and others) can afford she still gave an incredible sum. Thanks to all those who gave and will continue to give. From the famous to the unknown, it is truly needed.

January 26, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  55. Jack

Ok, so Madonna didn't give as much as some would like.....
    Did she give more than you?
    It doesn't matter how much, it matters that she gave....
    Bravo Madonna!

January 26, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  56. Toni

I think it's wonderful that celebrities are giving their time and money, no matter the amount. It's a shame to see people complain about how much is given by whom when the need is so great. It will take a long time to rebuild Haiti so this is just the beginning. Everyone should be commended for helping and not "called out" for what they do or don't do even if it's just prayer.

January 26, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  57. peacee kid

hmmm...i think that this was goodthat the celeritiesdid thisno matter if it was 10$ or a million. be proud.

January 26, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  58. Irene

Why people always look on someone else? How much did you give? I agree with J. Clooney – "If everyone gives $5, from 30 mln people, it would be a lot of money for help." So give as much as you can and want and do not look in your neighbor's pocket. By the way, the same people who help during international disasters are usually the ones who help local people as well. Ones giver, always a giver.

January 26, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  59. Human

Wow. I am incredibly disappointed by some of the statments made here. To those of you commenting "What about Americans?," maybe you do not donate your time or money to our needy or less fortunate but I certainly do as well as most of my extended family. In my family we are all Middle Class people who give time and/or money/contributions to anyone in a time of need. No matter where they are. How dare you assume because we are giving to Haiti that we do not give to our own country. Most people with a giving heart will give to anyone in a time of need. Many even donate to the Humane Society to help the homeless animals. Donating and giving is an anonymous act and should remain that way. And if you choose not to give to a human anywhere in the world in a time of need because of selfish delusions that is just sad.

January 26, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  60. Ladont

By the way, estimated audience for the Telethon was 80 million viewers. Contributions were $57 million. Assuming the stars gave nothing would mean that each viewer gave 71 cents. Boy, we are a generous people aren't we?

January 26, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  61. Jennifer

Whatever happened to confidentiality? Stars should be able to give quietly just like everyone else. Just because they choose not to publicise what they've given doesn't mean we should assume they gave nothing and condemn them as cheap. Maybe they just don't want recognition, or value their privacy? What a nasty article and spiteful commenters.

January 26, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  62. Ladont

I am sickened by the whining about how much Madonna or anyone else gave. Before you comment, state your income and assets and then verify how much you gave. I don't know how much Madonna makes (And I don't care) and I have no idea what her expenses are (Manager, etc.). Philanthropy is personal. People give what they can to whatever cause they can and wish to support.

January 26, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  63. Janie

It should not even be publicized what anyone is giving, then no one could spend time criticizing it.

January 26, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  64. DMW

What's with all the negative comments about Madonna?? She gives a lot of her money to Malawi and the orphans there....giving $250K is still very generous and I can't believe the way people are talking about her. Hey, how much have any of you given???

January 26, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  65. Candace

Monetary donations are very needed. I believe in the philosophy that if you teach a man to fish, he/she can feed him/herself for the rest of their life (and their families and community). Giving money is great, but persuading others to give (whatever they can, even if it's blood, supplies, anything) that is the most helpful for healing and preventing such a tragedy from devastating the world. if we work together, the possibilities are endless....if we sit there putting others down for their selfless deeds, shame on us! Time and educating others (especially the victims of this horrific tragedy) has more of a global impact than probably anything else...."love thy neighbor as thyself," this philosophy should be embraced no matter what race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or immovable mind set.....in charity we truely learn to love our fellow man, once we no longer see what we do as "charity," but second nature....then will we truely live and abide by the laws of God (jesus, jehovah, savior, if you're not christian (which i'm at a crossroads about, the hypocrisy is so unkind...), whomever YOU choose as your guide through this life, make sure this person, saint, religious figure abides by the laws of God as a loving, forgiving God....a change of heart (and mind) is infectious and will lead to sudden change (kill (soften) them with kindness...."criticism is a subtle form of hate...," all too true and so often ignored.....when we stop questioning our beliefs and try to force our beliefs (political or spiritual or otherwise), then will we no longer be in atonement with God (spirit).....always question and get to the root/heart of the problem and look at it from a diplomatic standpoint......donate what you can, annonymously is best so that the small minded do not judge, "to thine own self be true," don't let others negativity affect the way YOU live your life.....do what you can....

January 26, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  66. thehorsebaby

these people need to give more because I havent given anything

January 26, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  67. SA

It's easier (and cheaper) to give time than it is to give money.

January 26, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  68. Trista

Awesome that they take the time to give. Not up to us to judge why someone gave this or that. After all, I'm sure this isn't a complete comprehensive list of every cent that they've ever given to charity. I remember seeing several of these celebrity names come up for other charitable ventures. I've seen many of them walking the streets of impoverished towns to see what they can do to help when they could easily be living the good life next to their lavish pool. So, I say thanks so much to them for caring for their fellow man. I would not bite the hand they are using to feed many.

January 26, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  69. Debra R

Re Randy: Let's keep the politcs out of this shall we? It is incredible that you can equate a natural disaster to politics...BOTH parties are trying to help the Haitians. Alll religions. All colors. What is happening now is spontaneous giving to people not a form of government.... quit trying to denigrate a political party by using the disaster that has happened....the US is helping as much as they can....ALL of us....the youngest child's prayer...the widows mite, the doctors, nurses, the 9/11 firefighters, politicians and celebrities.... get off the cynical express and join us....

January 26, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  70. pd83

It is nothing less than appalling that the American people would put emphasis on celebrity donations, rather than where the money is going and how it's being used.

January 26, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  71. Shaker

Someone asked what the big Oil companies gave. I can only speak for the one I work for – Chevron. They donated $1.5 million themselves and in addition have a charitable donation website for employees to donate that they match dollar for dollar.

I think there has been much more donated by those who just don't wish to seek the publicity or be recognized. There has never been a major catastrophe where the American people did not open up and give.

January 26, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  72. brook

What about Jennifer Aniston?....and Cortney Cox....how much did they give?

January 26, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  73. Jennifer

I would like to know how much Paris Hilton and her ugly sister have donated?

January 26, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  74. Mike

For the record, Diddy's SON gave 10K. Diddy has not publicly released his contribution figures

January 26, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  75. Shel'

I wold suggest that before people start nit-picking about 'who gave what' and 'who gave what based on their earned worth' that you consider whether these individuals have other charitable responsibilities that they are committed to. Many of these stars (whether they advertised what they donated or not) have many other charitable organizations that they're commited to. The fact that they 'additionally' gave to the Haiti Relief Fund is to their credit. We shouldn't be castigating them for not 'supposedly' donating what we think they should have .. but be truly appreciative that they have a) donated actual cash b) involved themselves in helping to raise awareness and monies. I think everyone's thinking about this all the wrong way. Have you all contributed? Have you contributed your 5% to charity? Or have you been too busy getting in everyone else's business?

January 26, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  76. mvr

A lot of the of the celebs have their own charities that they already donate to. Any money donated is probably appreciated.

January 26, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  77. Ben

There should be a buy-in amount they they should have to contribute for the publicity of being linked with a fundraising show. There were a LOT of celebrities on the show whose combined worth could fix all the worlds problems. It's good to see some, put their money where their mouth is.

January 26, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  78. Randy

I find it amusing that people on here are saying that we should help the poor here in America! When that idea is thrown around in American the Republicans and the Teabaggers call that Socialism...Hypocricy is so amusing!

January 26, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  79. Adam

The issue with all your posts is the thinking today in America that somehow, if someone earns millions of dollars, then they are obligated to give huge amounts of it. I wish I had millions of dollars just as much as the rest of you, but the thruth is, when people have money it is THEIR money to do with it as they please. You can argue all you want about if they really "earned" the money they have, but that isn't your call to make. They got their money through legal efforts on their part, and they deserve to be able to enjoy that money however they want to. Giving ANY of it to ANYONE is grace-not required but extra-and the idea of questioning whether someone gives enough should NEVER even cross our minds.

January 26, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  80. Monica

A donation is a donation no matter how much is given. Madonna has given endlessly all throughout her career to American Foundation for AIDS Research, Children in Need, Children of Peace, BID 2 BEAT AIDS, Live Earth, Make-A-Wish Foundation, Sweet Relief Musicians Fund, UN Millennium Project, Raising Malawi, now Haiti and more. She is in the process of building a school in Malawi which will most likely cost millions. Let's not judge people for the amount they give, you don't know what else they are involved with. Do your homework before you criticize. How much did you give??

January 26, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  81. Boone

I don't think this has anything to do with "finding the good." Many celebrities may choose to keep their donations private, or only report one donation despite making donations to several organizations, and the only thing that comes of releasing this information is people saying "why didn't they donate more?" or "why didn't so-and-so donate?"

For those who are concerned about what "black athletes" are doing, don't worry, they are doing a lot. Besides large donations made by the leagues and players' unions, individual athletes have made significant contributions. For instance, Dwayne Wade and Alonzo Mourning set up the Athletes Relief Fund for Haiti, and had raised a million dollars less than a week after the earthquake struck.

January 26, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  82. Steve

I cant get over people getting snarky about how much each celebrity gave. Stop pointing the finger at others and concentrate on your own actions. And regarding the whole "why dont we help people in America" rant, I remember millions and millions of dollars in donations being raised when Katrina struck New Orleans. Or was that so long ago that we've all forgotten? Plus, is an American life worth more than a Haitian life, or a Malawian life, etc. We are all human beings.

January 26, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  83. Kathy

We should be thankful to ALL who gave! So many people gave just $10 and it really added up!!! The other thing to remember is that these are cash donations to organizations that are sending immediate aid. Celebrities have the power to build schools and homes and individually do things that will have an ongoing impact. Haiti needs support BOTH today and tomorrow!
    Additionally, many of these celebrities already have support other humanitarian projects. We should not criticize people who give more than we could make in 10 years!

January 26, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  84. ken

I agree with the select few on here who say "what does it matter" concerning how much someone gave...the simple fact they gave at all is much appreciated....I also agree with the even fewer people on here saying "where were these guys when Americans needed help?"...we have tons of homeless here....we have tons orphans here...where were these guys after Katrina hit the south?....it's amazing how not one country helps us out when we get hit with something, yet when another country gets hit with something, we are expected to be there....guess it comes with the territory of being the most powerful country on earth....

January 26, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  85. Good Golly Miss Molly

Many people give in private – not for publicity. There are much more detailed lists out there. I've read them. For example, the NFL, NBA, and MLB have all donated $1M each. There are many more indviduals listed as well. Very, very, poor countries around the world have donated.

I would bet many of the entertainers will continue to give for many years to come. And you will see many donations on the other lists where the donor is listed as "Private."

January 26, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  86. Gracie

Poor misguided Walter!
    America's fiscal situation is where it is today because of greed. If repeated catastrophies were suffered here, there is an abundance of social assistance, which Haiti could not even fathom. American's going to bed hungry??? At least they have a bed to go to. Explain the enormous waste or worse, over indulgence. You selfish people have nothing to cry about. You have no idea what pain is.

January 26, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  87. jack dusel

why complain about those who gave. how bout all the black athletes with million $ contracts?

January 26, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  88. pegz

hi.........the comment is for Jurby, at least madonna is helping it really doesnt matter how much SHE gave. ITS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS. AND MAY GOD BLESS HER SWEETHEART AND TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE HELPED ALSO. Jurby how much did you contribute to the haiti DISASTER ???????????? AND MAYBE GOD BLESS YOU TOO.

January 26, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  89. Jay

Alyssa Milano should do a playboy spread and donate the sales that generates. That would be the best donation!

January 26, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  90. karen

Note that mega rich Tom Cruise didn't contribute a dime. Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing his name on any donations- ever. Suri's fashion needs must be astromical.

January 26, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  91. Debra R

At least they are not stroking their egos at Sundance....

Again as my granny used to say: If you can go...go. If you can donate...donate. If you can't do either pray and stay out of the way....all this negativity is not becoming.......

January 26, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  92. Mary S.

I think it should have never been posted what these celebritiesare giving! It only creates the general publics negativity towards these celebrities who does and who doesn't and how much they give or don't give. It is a personal thing!! (it all comes from your heart ) !!!!You totally have forgotten what these fine people have given all you (entertainment) !!! YOU CANNOT PLEASE EVERYONE !!!! PLEASE, PLEASE BE HAPPY WITH WHAT THEY DID GIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O)

January 26, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  93. Johnny

I think it's ridiculous the way some of you people are criticizing the amount of money that some celebrities donated.The last time I checked,$250,000 is ALOT of money.I think Madonna,Oprah and the others should be applauded for donating at all.And let's not forget that Madonna is involved in several other charities.She's building a school in Malawi and spends lots of time,money and effort on many other charities.

January 26, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  94. melanie

What about Bono, he is always the first to tell his fans to give give give at his concerts, how much did he give???

January 26, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  95. Fan

Charity is a personal choice and given from the heart according to the word of God. So no man can judge what another person chooses to give regardless of their personal wealth. When we sit in judgement with God it will be based on how you have lived your life and tried to help others and no one else's opinion will matter. So many people take so much time to vent and complain but when down to crunch time what are they really giving and doing to make the world better.

January 26, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  96. m.dacher

Donating to a cause is fine. I don't (and never did) agree that personalities should make public their political positions and/or their financial actions.

Many personalties from the 60's, 70s, 80s, 90s, and so forth who donated monies or services never waived their flag nor was it required to be made public.

A person's position about what they do or fail to do its a personal matter not required to be public knowledge and is not news-worthy.

At best, reporting that donations, charitable work, or other services occur is fine, but it's not a requirement to be public record that opens the door to editorializing by the tryanny of a populace.

January 26, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  97. jjayway

Hey People, Stop bagging on Madonna. She is not only buiilding a school in Malawi but a new Orphange, which has already cost over $100 Million. I would love to know how much moeny the people who are being rude gave. Probably nothing.

January 26, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  98. michael

it is not a contest who gives more...

January 26, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  99. Joe MacDonald

People on here are calling Madonna cheap, yet Oprah gave far less a percentage of her money. $1million from a multi-billionaire...now that is shrewdly cheap!

January 26, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  100. rethinking

Let's remember Madonna is spending over $15 million in Africa. I mean, stop and get the facts before you post. Plus, she has made a public challenge that she hopes people will donate another 250 K to match her donation. See, she believes in motivating people to action, she's never on to take the easy way out. I am sure none of you gave anything anyway, but at $10 cell phone text donation. Try to post something constructive. Oh yea, when was the last time you donated 15 million dollars to anyone?

January 26, 2010 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  101. Bill Simants

While I agree. It is sad to hear of so much strife hear at home. I don't agree that growing up poor or encountering hardship in the United States is at all comprable to growing up poor or facing disaster in Haiti. It sounds cliche, but with hard work & determination you can still make a better life for yourself here. In Haiti & other "developing nations" unless you have an extremely rare talent or skill. You're likely to be as poor your whole life as you were when you were born. As far as giving donations. They are happy with whatever they get I'm sure. Only in America would you be criticized for "only" giving 10k or 1 mill. Those type of comments & jabs are petty at best. God bless our nation & it's citizens for being as giving as we are.

January 26, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  102. kham

oohh yeah...i want to see what haiti born famous ppl in america have contributed to their own country??????

January 26, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  103. kham

what about oprah she makes billions and only gave 1 million...so y is everybody not on oprah and on maddona...oprah makes billions maddona makes millions.....ppl are wierd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just like maddona)

January 26, 2010 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  104. Naturalist

I donated $1.00.
    We can all sit back and count other people money and how much they give to Haiti. Please remember these folks have other charities to give to and some may give more money in years to come. So dont knock these folks after all they are still giving. Peace Out.

...btw, I plan to donate more.

January 26, 2010 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  105. ajdad

Think Tiger donated? It could be good for his pr right now.

January 26, 2010 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  106. anna

This is pathetic and all these celebrities should be ashamed of themselves.
    Just look at the Netherlands the amount of money the "everyday people" raised. That amount was matched by their government. The grand total was €83.448.252, please note Euros, no USD.

January 26, 2010 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  107. Claire

Couldn't agree with you more, Amy and linney17. I find it impossible to comprehend that many seem angry and even resentful of money raised to benefit Haiti. I can only assume these 'charity begins at home' bloggers have never traveled outside our nation to impoverished areas and witnessed TRUE poverty, so to some extent their ignorance is excusable. In addition, citing our economic woes is moot as this is a worldwide recession not unique to the USA; many other countries have provided/pledged emergency aid to Haiti ranging from immediate monetary assistance to debt forgiveness to emergency search and medical teams, and their citizens raise money for the relief effort also. At all times, but most especially when catastrophe strikes, we would do best to set geography, creed and color aside and to simply view ourselves as one people and strive to assist our needy brethren to the fullest of our ability. However, if lines on a map are important to some, then let's not forget that the borders that define the USA also define one of the richest societies on the planet. We can afford to give!

Thank you to all those who used their celebrity to make a tangible difference. Heartfelt love for Haitians who have lost so much.

January 26, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  108. Craig

None of you have ANY IDEA what Madonna [Or any other celebrity] has given. Haiti isn't the only 'problem in the world'. There are countless numbers of worthy causes. Besides – someone said that to celebrities – 1million to them is like $100 to most of us. Which begs the question – just how many of 'us' gave at least $100?

January 26, 2010 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  109. Jules

I think these celebrity telethons are wrong. People should want to give because they want to help and know its right to give to others if they have the money or items to give. Not because George Clooney is organizing a concert benefit.
    I gave $20 to the red cross. Yeah $20 is all but then again i only have about 25,000 -30,000 a year. I think its a shame to see some of these stars just giving $10,000 or 250,000 when they throw that daily on clothes, cars, and private jets. Guess what you are who you are because of the little people buy your cd's, go to your over priced movie in the theaters, or buy your books.

January 26, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  110. Naseem

Madonna you did great!...People just picture how many kids $250k can help! a dollar can feed a child what about $250k?? shame on the haters!

January 26, 2010 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  111. Sarah Lou

this people don't have to donate anything at all you idiots. who cares how much? anything helps.

January 26, 2010 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  112. Cambob

Judging people based on a very limited list shown here is very petty. I don't think Madonna or Oprah donated cash in order to earn your respect. Luckily, the people on the list can afford to ignore the haters and focus on what really matters in life.

January 26, 2010 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  113. Biggles

Stop Haiti-ing on Madonna.

GET IT!?

January 26, 2010 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  114. Sandy

I applaud anyone who gave any money. I'm dissapointed that so many are berating Madonna when she still gave a substantial amount when many who can afford to give haven't at all. I was only able to donate a small amount, and hope it helps, though I know it won't do half as much as what Madonna's donation will.

January 26, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  115. bob

What does it matter what the stars donated? Half of the people complaining about what Madonna and Oprah sent havent sent a dime themselves. Worry about your own checkbooks, at least they gave something.

January 26, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  116. nance

I'm no fan of Madonna, but you must realize that these are only initial donations. They may be planning to donate more later, and probably are. Lots of people do that. The need will be there for a long, long time.

January 26, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  117. me

I am grateful that people are stepping up to give. has anyone seen how the monies they raised are going to be distributed. The website seems vague to me.

January 26, 2010 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  118. ann

the people complaining the most have very likely not given one red cent.

January 26, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  119. mblom

BEYONCE gave how much?Faith without actions is dead.I think some were out there to be seen.Thanks to those who gave

January 26, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  120. sean

People are complaining because these "celebrities ", who are worth millions of dollars (more money than they could possibly spend in a lifetime), are putting on a telethon pleading for money from the "average joe" (who is barely making a living). Madonna gave
    .0005 percent of her net worth. I gave more than that!

January 26, 2010 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  121. lori

OMG is this what we have come to. The very freedom we fight for and send our brothers and sisters to protect and die for we completely abuse and take for granted. We in the United States of America(united my ass) are never satisfied ,quick to cut down ,pick apart, and critisize are neighbors,co-workers,presidents,politicians and priests. You name it and we have an opinion it and ours is always right. The only time we want to step up to the plate is when there's a disaster. We forget about just simple acts of kindness. Love thy neighbor is so far from what it used to be that the only time the country thinks about it is how to turn it into a photo op or a reality show. What is happening to us? There is no sense of community anymore.I can only control what I do ,you can only control what you do so before we start critisizing anyone for something as petty as a donation,start with asking yourself what will YOU give. One dollar or a million it all adds up and nobodies donations should be public anyway that is between you and your higher power. All I 'm saying I that it starts with me, just me .

January 26, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  122. Candace

And one more thing, benefit concerts and public announcements aren't monetary, but they leave more of an impression than money! change hearts, you change minds! "Criticism is a subtle form of hate." That's not a famous quote, my grandmother said it. It's common sense!

January 26, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  123. Candace

why is it that when a celebrity does something good with their money, it's never enough? the fact that you people buy the magazines with "dirt" on them, invading their privacy (if we didn't buy the magazines, the papparazi would be out of a job and Princess Diana would still be alive)....think before you speak. How much have YOU donated to Haiti relief? Bite your tongue!

January 26, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  124. movalsocal

At least some of these celebrities donated larger sums of money. President and Mrs. Obama donated a menial $15,000.00 !! So the embarrassment continues...... !!

January 26, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  125. Jules

So, Madonna gave $250K and everyone is jumping on her for giving so little. My question: did she have to donate or people just have to learn to be bloody thankful?

January 26, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  126. lalayna

where were these telethons and the outpouring of money after katrina?! and that was home turf...

January 26, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  127. Tam

Hope for Haiti. What a joke. Most of Hollywood could easily give a million and many like the top earners give 10 million. Here we are giving money through text and church offerings, when we personally are majorly in debt. I have been out of work since October and we have zero savings. Come on Hope for Haiti. Movie stars are not willing to live poor a day to help others. I was sickened to see that the Hope for Hollywood did not reach huge numbers for as rich as Hollywood is. They are rich because of the regular Joe buying the movie tickets! Give back some more people! Greed. Such Greed. Kudos to those who did give!

January 26, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  128. Dr. Jay

Someone mentioned if any pro athletes haddonated to the cause. Gisele Bundchen donated $1.5 million to the Red Cross. Since she's married to Tom Brady, does that counts as his donation also?

January 26, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  129. Suze

I'm wondering how many of the bankers....you know....the ones with the 10 million dollar bonuses ...gave anything. Just sayin'...
    Thanks to all that have been generous no matter what the amount.

January 26, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  130. lola

come on, folks. for all you know, madonna already has plenty of assets tied up in other charitable ventures. just as you cannot judge the generosity or heart of a friend/colleague based on one charity (as they may give to several without your knowledge), you should not judge hers.

January 26, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  131. Bay Area

Have you noticed certain businesses have sign up advertising what they are donating? Starbucks has wasted at least 100k on ink and paper showing off that they have donated 1m. I saw Costco had papers all over the place bragging too. It's just like Obama.. it's the cool thing to do. Wake up people. Your first sign was when the media started saying the best donation you can make is CASH. They don't want your time, or well wishes, leave the clean blankets, water and food at home and just bring your check book! Fools...

January 26, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  132. Joanie

What makes me sick is Sean Diddy whatever his frigin name is..give 10,000.00 to Haiti and buys his 16yr. old a 360,000.00 car...can you believe that ...how he sleeps at night is beyond me...what a jerk...to all the other entertainers who contributed...good for them....they have a good heart...Thank YOU so much..

January 26, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  133. anth

you people who complain about those who havent given enough are seriously petty; so you donated so much more??? if it is terrible that Madonna only donated $250k what are you gonna do about the people that did nothing – beat 'em to a pulp??? C'mon, get some perspective. Not everyone gives but you bash people that do??? Would you like that kind of criticism on your own actions when you think are actually doing some good in life......please.

January 26, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  134. Leslie B.

I totally agree with Amy. There are ways for people to get help in this country. There are shelters for adults and families. There are places like Covenant House for runaways. There are food pantries and soup kitchens.

You people who are so "help America first" - look out your window. Are there children sleeping on the street you live on? How about hundreds sleeping in parks because there are no homes and few streets? There is no place for them to go.

In this country, hospitals are required to take patients who need medical care, even if the patient can't pay. Two weeks after the world fell apart in Port-au-Prince and surrounding areas, they have makeshift hospitals and thousands of injured people, many who have just or are about to become amputees. Does your American city have thousands of people who have lost their limbs all from one event, and are dying from infections?

Personally, my family has donated $100 to Doctors Without Borders, and we aren't well-off ourselves. Compared to these people in Haiti, we have everything and then some. We will also be donating further down the road, when help is still needed but the cameras have left.

They have no food or water and little or no access to any, even if they wanted to work for it. How can you compare that to the U.S.? I'm not saying things are perfect here, but geez....

January 25, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  135. bookldy209

As some one who owns a small business and has been at the other end of paying unemployment in CA, I get weary of those who instead ask what about giving more back to this country. In my experience, all the dollars thrown at some will not encourage some to go back to school or learn a trade, it's just a free ride while it lasts for serial collectors (which is why Meg Whitman for governor is beginning to hit the right chord with future voters). We've had and continue to have some really great staff but also those with a huge sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility.

None of us really know what it costs others to live the life they already live so let's not put down donation amounts but celebrate all who have made them. It's been a tough couple of years economically for all; what a joy to see this kind of giving to the people of Haiti who have suffered so much.

January 25, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  136. SJ

Although the devestation of Haiti is horrible, we musnt forget the millions of people in the world who have nothing, live in war and fear, have no water to drink, food to eat, shelter, or any of the little luxuries we have. With the wealth our continent has no person should be without. We should all give generously when we can, and touch lives in all parts of the world. I, like many, have spent too much money in worthless items in home decor, wasted unused, thrown out food, and today feel horrific about myself that I havent shared more all over the world. We as a people, as a community of incredibly fortunate people should not stop at Haiti, but try and give throughout the organizations both at home and throughout the world. Every little bit helps. And lets not be hard on Madonna, or anyone else – we pay for their lifestyle, the majority of the wealthy give on a regular basis – do you? do I? or do we only give when we are shell shocked and torn up – and perhaps a little guilty of how we live. I lost a very big salary job, and cannot give millions, but am still fortuante that my children go to bed in a clean safe environment each and everynight. Give when you can, from the heart.

January 25, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Mel

Interesting that Madonna gave $250,000, while Loblaws stores in Canada got donations from customers totaling $380,000.

January 25, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  138. sonny

everyone who donated anything is awesome. period.

January 25, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Abdul

i never thought i would see the day when charity gets critisized. We really are lost as a society

January 25, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Isay

How about help someone here at home in US? We have so many people homeless, can't afford the medical treatment.... jobless...

January 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  141. greg

I don't understand why people are complaining about people who donated their money. I am not a madonna fan, but she participated in the show on friday night and donated alot of money, why are people criticizing her? We don't know how many charities she supports or how much she gives.
    I can understand why celebrities would not want their donations made public as people just judge them or criticize their actions.

January 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  142. karen hellickson

i donated and don't think it is necessary to say what amount. i gave what i could afford and will continue to donate to the people of haiti and other organizations around the world and in my community. for me, it seems i am constantly asked for money to help others when i am at home, or out at the grocery store or at my work and school. can you imagine what it is like to be oprah or madonna? there is an unlimited need for help. my point is – if i were a person of well known wealth i would have many more requests for monetary help and perhaps the people that have given lower amounts have given what they could. lastly, a donation should be what you feel and not what looks good on the news.

January 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  143. susan

I think the majority of celebrities give without making a press announcement. I don't understand the celebs who feel it's necessary to make an announcement. I also don't understand everyday people who feel it's necessary to know what celebs give. I don't announce what I give. Thats my own private business. Celebrities are, after all, people too and may feel it's their own business.

January 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Michelle

Amanda, the person that wrote the article stressed the fact that this wasn't a complete list, and that many celebrities have been donating without putting out a press release to brag about it. It could very well be that Beyonce and Jay-Z have donated but chose to do so in private.

January 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Michelle

As far as Madonna being the richest on the list – not by a long shot. Oprah is worth $2.7 BILLION as of 2009. An article dated 2008 put Madonna's wealth at around $500 million, but her husband supposedly received half of that in the divorce settlement.

And Walter – the people of Haiti are living in poverty that we, as Americans can't even imagine. They are the poorest nation in the western hemisphere. And that was before the earthquake. It is possible to take care of our own AND take care of the people caught in this horrible disaster. Plenty of people do try to take care of our own, and simply because people choose to give to the people in Haiti doesn't mean they aren't also doing the same with American charities.

January 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Sharon M.

Personally, it's my opinion that charity isn't truly charitable, if the doner receives any publicity for their donation. And, how much anyone donates (or doesn't) is none of my business, or yours.

January 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  147. augie smith

I think this is a pretty cheesy and gives only haff the picture. Madonna has already dontated over $5 million to help that African nation and Julia Roberts has several other charities that she contirubutes to regularly. Even though. because of their incomes, their limits are much higher than ours, they are not an infinite source of wealth. No one can see the pcs of Haiti and not do as much as they can. Rather than sit in judgement of amounts, cekebrate the fact that they helped

January 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  148. davey

it aint charity if your bragging about it...donate and be done with it...go quietly....

January 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Jenifer

All these big stars in Hollywood are certainly in a position to give, I am not. I struggle daily but they make millions, I think any star who has more than several million in their accounts should donate VERY generously, they have it to spare & are lucky beyond words, I wish I had it to give.

January 25, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  150. BermyGee

Wow!!! people all dissing Madonna cause she donated a quater of a million, I dont see much mega stars donated, and maybe there is more to come from Madonna for Haiti, keep up the good work with the haiti relief fund people, and Madonna keep up the good work with the charities you are involved with such as Malawi and others..

January 25, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  151. norash

the week of the 18th on the cnn website they gave a link to a pdf that showed how much countries have given towards haiti. It had a list of those who pledged versus those who actualy gave....you would be surprised and disapointed at what was actualy given/peldged by big corporate america...........so complaining about celebrities and what they gave is minuscule compared to these corporate giants.

January 25, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  152. rdepontb

Looking at this story again, it seems pretty petty for CNN to publish this kind of information with these kinds of insinuations just waiting to happen.

C'mon, CNN-you who otherwise seem to be helping out in Haiti so much...you are much better than this article suggests.

January 25, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Susan

I only donated $10 via text, my 3 children did the same. It isnt much but some celebrity that works with unicef said that even one cent will provide 5 liters of clean drinking water, so every bit helps. I spoke to a woman who refused to donate anything, saying that her little bit wouldnt help anyway. This angered me, it shows no compassion for fellow human beings and i feel she should be ashamed of herself. I dont know what the math would be but im pretty sure if every single person who could spare one cent, would donate one cent, it would help tremendously.

January 25, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Kev

This is all pretty sad. We should all be happy with the state our economy is in that we were able to generate as much money that we have from the American people for the Haiti people. Rich or not Rich. We saw that a 10.00 donation from those that watched the concert for Haiti Friday night generated 57 Million or more for the country of Haiti. I just pray it is used wisely. So that said 10.00 from you and your friends and family generated more that any rich American could just throw to the wind. Yes just because you have money does not make you responsible for the planet. For those of you that have piles of money, I say thanks for giving away more than I could ever afford. Thank You..... One last thing, thank you for your time and commitment to organizing something that would generate 57 Million dollars for the Haitian people. I don't think I've seen any thing like it in my lifetime and I'm 51.

January 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Walter L

It is all well and good what they are doing for the people of haiti, but let me ask you this..... WAHT ABOUT OUR AMERICAN CHILDREN WHO ARE LIVING ON THE STREETS AND WHO GO TO BED EVERYNIGHT HUNGRY????!!! We tend to gforget about our own people to help others. Let us start helping ourselves before we help others. I know why, because we see them everyday and we walk right on by without giving them a dime. HELP AMERICA!! SPREAD THE WORD

January 25, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  156. rdepontb

No one needs to know who gave what. Who in heck are these complainers?? What are you talking about, "not enough" of a donation???

Thanks to busy-bodies like you, those with money to give, and the heart to give, may well stop giving altogether if all it gets is notoriety as relative cheap-skates.

I fully agree with those posters who say, "Thank you for your kind donation" to these folks who are sharing their good fortune-

January 25, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Susan

Id like to know what CNN, ABC,NBC, FOX and all the other networks who have made $ off of this crisis have donated? Anything?

January 25, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Flor

All donations aside , most of this money will go to overhead expenses. Especially the Red Cross they are a big spenders for themselves.
    Good Luck Haiti ! I hope you see the rebuilding of your country with all this millions from America and other countries pouring in for your relief aid.

God be with you!

January 25, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  159. robert krawczyk

I'm so proud of Alyssa Milano! She not only gave before a lot of these people on the list, she used her cosiderable influence to bring in much more. She's my favorite!!!!

January 25, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  160. linney17

I can't believe the people on here ragging on donation amounts. What's worse are those of you yapping about how America needs the money for all these other things. A human being suffering is the same no matter where in the world they are suffering. We really need to stop looking at things along the lines of geography. Ask yourself this-if a person showed up at your door bleeding, battered and dying, would you first ask what country they came from before providing them with help? And ask yourself if you would be able to go to Haiti right now, stare into the eyes of the injured and now orphaned children and tell them our deficit is more important than their survival. If you would be able to do that, I don't want to share my country with you.

January 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Dave

Oprah is worth $2.7 BILLION and she only gives $1M? No other entertainment figure is worth a tenth of that.

January 25, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Yarrrrrrrr

You guys...
    You should not complain 'bout Madonna's donation. At least she still donated something. It's $250K or nothing. Take your pick...

January 25, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  163. LoveSYTYCD

Any donation is an amazing show of compassion and kindness. Shame on all of you people that are judging these celebrities, who have opened up their hearts and their wallets to help in this terrible situation. And shame on you people who don't believe in helping at all. Just because we're prosperous now and they are not, doesn't mean the tides can't turn. Let's hope that if that happens, the people of our neighboring countries are more compassionate than those of you arguing against helping Haiti, because than it will be you who suffers with no one caring.

January 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  164. A.

Giving to any charity is a very personal thing. It shouldn't be a contest, whether you famously rich or not. It is sad this list was ever published. It just brought out the negativity, which is not what this relief effort is about.

January 25, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Dave

To all the people complaining about what this or that celebrity did or did not give, how much (what percent of YOUR net worth) did YOU give???

January 25, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Amanda P

Funny - People talk about Madonna being cheap - She's practically sponsoring an entire country – Malawi. What about the richest show-biz couple; Jay-Z and Beyonce - mega mega rich! How about Kanye West – I find it thoroughly embarrassing that they haven't given a penny. Beyonce was paid two million for singing at a New Years party for a dictator's son–They are incredibly selfish people!

January 25, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Emmy Brooks

I agree with some of the posters that some of the celebreties could afford to give more than what they have extended. however, it's true too that this are donations and it should not be measured by how much or how low.. it is the compasion, the sharing, and caring for the less fortunate that counts.

January 25, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Sam

Madonna will always be attacked by those who have never done anything as remotely as successful as her. Of all the millionaires out there, Madonna has shown her generosity in actively donating to this relief effort, plus the millions she is plowing into Malawi.

What a sad society we have become when we begin to point the finger at someone suggesting "your donation is NOT ENOUGH!"

January 25, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Sal

How much would Haiti and other "developing" countries give to us on the West Coast if we suffered such a catastrophe? Why should we help? Look at the size of the Presidential Palace in Haiti and ask ourselves why are so many living in poverty when their President lives like a king? Sad as it is, especially for the children, these under-developed countries should start looking after themselves.

January 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  170. minnesota

I think is amazing how genorous the American people are in general. In many country in Latinoamerica people just donate what they don't use anymore, Americans don't. it doesn't matther how much they do. Many of these celebraties make also contributions to several causes and everyone decides at the end how much they can do it this time. Haiti will need a lot of help from now and then.

January 25, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Amy

I am tired of hearing that we should be taking care of our own country rather than donating to Haiti. To those who say it, why do you assume we haven't also donated in some way to a cause here in America? I am sure that some have. And to be fair, America has not lost 100,000 people due to one natural disaster. Those that have no homes are given an opportunity to go to shelters, collect welfare, and are given other opportunities that people in Haiti can't even fathom right now. Some people were pulled out of rubble, having lost their entire families, without eating or drinking for days, and you want to know why haven't people done more for Americans? Because it is not the same. That seems rather obvious to me. Stop judging people and be glad that there are people in the world who want to help other people, regardless of ethnicity or location.

January 25, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  172. PK California

I had heard it reported that Tiger Woods gave 3 million and a hospital. Can CNN verify that?

January 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  173. trancer

At least these people have given something. We do not know their needs or their obligations so we should not speak, especially if we ourselves have done nothing to help these people.

January 25, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  174. tom

Again, "Why cant we just get along?" All over the United States we are all doing what we can. Athletes, entertainers, and just us normal citizens are all donating what we can.. Other countries are doing the same but as usual, Americans are donating more than the rest of the world. My big fear is that in two months we will have forgotten the plight of the Haitian people. If you have not yet donated, do it now!!!!

January 25, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  175. sandra a

at least these people, regardless if they are celebrities, actually donated to the cause....to all of you that critizie it, have you donated as much as you can? Prop 8 supporters raised 40 million for what they thought was a great cause.....how can you justify that? So the fact that these people considered even donating anything shows more sincerity then most americans. I dont think anyone on this post is even aware of the amount of money any of these people, celebrities, donated throughout their lifetime, even this year alone. Instead of posting such comments, go out and help some sort of cause yourselves or donate that dollar or 10 dollars today to Haiti.

January 25, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  176. aga

Why is everyone ragging on Madonna and Oprah? These ladies give so much to charities and projects in depressed areas of the world. I think it's great that they choose to aid Haiti in its time of crisis.

January 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Patti

I, personally, cannot STAND Madonna or the values she espouses. That being said, she donates time and money right and left to many overseas charities. Just because Haiti is the current "Cause of the Day" for obvious reasons, does not mean that everyone else in the world suddenly does not need aid as well, including those right under our own noses. So why is it so important who gave what to Haiti? Many of these celebrities give very generous amounts to many different charities on a regular basis. Is it a crime because they did not feel the need to give a huge sum to Haiti as well?

January 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Don

A lot of these celebrities are cheap to begin with. It's like Ben Stiller said, we'll see who's helping Haiti 6 months from now. But I agree with all the comments, how about Bill Gates, the ex-presidents, Oprah, Kobe, Nike, how much money did they donate? It's a shame that people that have so much money don't help out when it's really needed.

January 25, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  179. getoverit

Celebrities are in no way obligated to do a damn thing....they do it because they are human just like the rest of us...I appreciate the time, money and effort each one of them gives to whatever cause.

January 25, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  180. cj

when all big celebrities donated a million and more so forth...how come madonna doesnt give at least a million..i think she is being very selfish on her part...so even those who can only give even a dollar ...that is much appreciated..but for someone who can afford at least a million...she shld have..so madonna you need to find it in your heart to give more...

January 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Soonerfan

Id like to see people do stuff like this for our OWN country. I dont remember hearing about all this relief aide or benifits or anything for the US. Unless Im mistaken...dont we have homeless and disaster torn areas? I feel for those in Haiti, but when will America start taking care of AMERCANS?

January 25, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Kristy

agreed...who cares what donation they left, at least they donated....

January 25, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  183. kathy brough

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their donations. It has been told that money is going to be needed for many years to come. Maybe Madonna is pacing herself, not that she has not already done enough.
    Agreed, We also have homeless and hungry people in our own country!

January 25, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Margie

we should be grateful that those folks are helping us. look at how much we Haitians spent on American concerts, movies and so on and you will see that they are just trying to be nice to our people. It's time to stop that nonsense and learn to appreciate what people do for someone else benefit for God sake... i will take $1.00, $100, $1000, or a million dollars instead of "my condolences to Haiti".

January 25, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  185. kac

First, just because a celebrity makes millions or billions, doesn't mean they have it in cash to just hand it over. Whether someone donates $1 or $1M it doesn't matter to me at least they get out of their celebrity bubble and do something time, $$$ who cares.
    Second, like rose commented above. Have you donated? Who are you to criticize when you don't even donate a whole $1 to help. I'm unemployed and donated. How about you?
    Finally, these people need $$ WAY more than we do. I have clothes, they don't. I have food, they don't. I have water, they don't. I have a roof over my head, they don't. I have my family and friends, they have lost some if not all of them.

January 25, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Julia

Why is everyone so offended by donations and their size? It's a donation!

Plus there are only a handful of people on that list. I DOUBT so few donated. It's not a complete list. Plus some people donate to multiple charities or in multiple transactions. Who says Madonna didn't divide up a million dollar contribution between four of her favored charities?

I guess I'm just trying to say, no one has all the facts and a donation is free money. If there is no obligation to help, why discourage those *tiny* (sarcasm) 10k donations?

January 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Peaceful One

Any giving is good.. Why not sell off some of that obscene jewelry and donate that? Oh, No, that could hurt the glamour image! As long as 1 on earth is suffering, all are suffering. Peace

January 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  188. CyndieKing

Wow. Madonna gave $250K? That's not a small pile of $$ and people are complaining. Its not a contest folks, people give what they want and others shouldn't judge. I was able to give $10 is that a problem? Is it not enough? Sorry, but neither me nor any of these people gave their dollars in order to impress you and they probably couldn't care less what your opinion is of their generosity or the lack of generosity. Its amazing, people with money are always completely expected to pick up the tab for others. Just because they have a bigger pile of dollars than we do doesn't make them financially responsible for us, nor does it make them financially responsible for the more unfortunate. The fact that they give at all is something to notice, they are not obliged to assist nor are the obligated to explain how much or how little they help to us.

January 25, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Dave

Why is it always so easy to criticize rather than appreciate good deeds? Thank you to everyone who has donated from 1 dollar to 1 million. Madonna, Oprah, George, and the rest, thank you for your support.

January 25, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  190. rose

I would like to know what each one of you posting these comments gave.

January 25, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Shoiens

Madonna – She can't sing, she can't dance and she's one cheap granny!

January 25, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  192. kecia

Madonna should be ashamed of herself. It cost her more than that in legal fees to adopted her child.

January 25, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Al

Did any pro athletes make any donations? Let 's not forget about the money they earn?

January 25, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Joe Goicoechea

Whay are all of you baggin on Madonna? Oprah is worth one billion, she could byu Madonna ten times over. She donated 1,000th of her worth and maybe one percent of what she'll hear this year.

Give til it hurts, girl!

January 25, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Mike

Here is my issue. We have so many unemployed people in the US but yet we help all these other countries before helping ourselves. I know we did some of this to ourselves but we could use all this help too to get us out of this deficit.

January 25, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  196. nicole

NativeHonor: I agree with you! That's all Madonna gave was $250,000 shame on her. I wondering what did the Donald "Trump" gave. And WallStreet and the Big Oil Companies gave. Wouldn't you all agree?

January 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Beezie

oh, don't forget that dispicable diddy gave his 16 year old son a $350,000 mercedes and then generously threw $10,000 for Haitian releif.

January 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  198. NativeHonor

This is all great free publicity but a million bucks to these guys is like $100 dollars to us. Madonna's richer than most (if not all) of the people on this list and she gave $250K? I guess it's true that money doesn't make the person it just brings out the true person.

January 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  199. Maria

I like seeing that our celebrities are using their power and money to help others in the world.

January 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Toshi

Way to be cheap, Madonna. You had one of the highest-grossing tours of 2009, and that's all you give?

January 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  201. jurby

interesting that Madonna, who can easily afford to give $1 million, only gave $250,000. publicly, anyway...

January 25, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |