January 22nd, 2010

A look back at the 'Jersey Shore' season

testing captions
testing captions

Last night, the talented videographers of MTV concluded their field research into how 20-somethings behave when subjected to heat, large quantities of alcohol, and the temptations of the “Jersey Shore.” In the end, the study was a success, giving ample insight into this subset of young Americans who refer to themselves as “Guidos” and “Guidettes.”

Vocabulary

Understanding the happenings of Seaside Heights requires deciphering the unusual diction used by its residents. Here are some of their most unusual terminology:

* GTL. An abbreviation for “Gym, Tan, Laundry,” which is what the men of the house do every day in order to keep their appearance in tip-top shape, in the hopes of attracting a female of the species.

* Creep. Surprisingly, Jersey Shorians do not use “creep” as an adjective—to them it is a verb, meaning to prowl for members of the opposite sex who might be interested in fornication.

* Robbery. To steal a male or female who a friend or roommate is attracted to, right from under their nose. Committing a “robbery” is a sign of extreme fortitude.

* Juiceheads. The kind of men that J-Woww and Snooki are the most interested in finding. They are characterized by their extreme size, deep tans, and muscles, often aided by steroid use.

The Frisky: Guide to "Jersey Shore"

* “Stalking My Whole Life”. When a male or female of the opposite sex becomes obsessed and begins following a Jersey Shorite, or calling excessively.

* Haterade. A concoction of old cheese, milk, and pickle juice placed under the bed of a foe to induce a horrifying stench.

* Grenade. When an attractive member of the opposite sex comes with an offensively unattractive friend. A good wingman or woman will entertain said “grenade” while their friend explores relations with the more attractive of the pairing.

* Pound Out. A term for the act of fornication.

Historical Analysis, Last 5 Shows

The most effective way to study the “Jersey Shore” species is to go episode by episode.

* Episode 5. After an altercation with a drunk man at a bar, Snooki gets punched—with extreme force—in the mouth. As her roommates console her, the men go after the guy (with the exception of “The Situation,” Mike, who creeps on women instead) and he is arrested. The next day, Sammi meets Ronnie’s family. Shortly after, the group goes to another club where drama breaks out again when a woman calls Snooki “fat,” and J-Woww goes after her, fists flying. Vinny takes a liking to the woman who was on a date with his boss.

The Frisky: Brutal beauty advice from "Jersey Shore"

* Episode 6. When Mike asks a girl to meet him at the house, she shows up with two friends who rub the roommates the wrong way. When Snooki asks them to leave, she gets punched again. Later, after leaving a bar, a couple begins antagonizing Sammi and Ronnie as they walk down the boardwalk. Sammi taunts them, leading Ronnie to push her. Eventually, Ronnie attacks the man of the couple and then heads home to avoid police and make up with Sammi. Vinny sleeps in a bed with Mike’s sister.

* Episode 7. The group heads to Atlantic City where they stay at a posh hotel. At a club, Vinny begins to kiss a girl—when he goes to the bathroom, Mike swoops in and commits a robbery. When J-Woww asks Mike to help her back to the room, he refuses. When he finally returns to the room, she attacks him and punches him.

* Episode 8. For the first time all summer, the group heads to the beach together, where Mike begins talking to a girl who appears very young and Snooki and J-Woww go on a search for juiceheads. Snooki is upset when she sees an ex-boyfriend. The group spends their final night in the house together, and when Snooki and The Situation end up in the hot tub together, Snooki’s bathing suit comes off and they start kissing. The group leaves the house on a high note, wanting to do it again next summer.

The Frisky: Shun, shag or marry on "Jersey Shore"

* Episode 9: The Reunion. The eight inhabitants of the house gather in a television studio for a mediated discussion of the summer’s events. Mike and Angelina fight, and imply that they have had sexual relations. Mike also implies this about Snooki. When secret footage of Sammi having a heart-to-heart with Mike is aired, Sammi and Ronnie breakup on air.

Lessons Learned

In the end, “Jersey Shore” has taught us much about this sub-culture of young Americans. Some conclusions that we can extrapolate from observing them:

* Fighting Doesn’t Solve A Thing. When the members of the Jersey Shore house are upset, they resort to punching, kicking, and pushing. However, the action almost always leads to negative outcomes—bleeding mouths, getting kicked out of a club, and in extreme cases, getting arrested and spending the night in jail. Perhaps these young adults can figure out new ways to channel their anger. Perhaps stress balls?

* Being Single Is Superior Than Being In A Relationship. While the unattached roommates appear to be having the time of their lives on a nightly basis, Ronnie and Sammi managed to have the same tear-filled fight over and over again on nearly every episode. The most baffling part of their pattern is that it appeared to happen for virtually no reason. If both of them listened to the other’s words, they would hear that the other’s level of commitment is very high. Perhaps this environment is antithetical to coupling?

* Safe Sex Is A Necessity. With the sheer quantity of women rotating through Mike, Pauly, Snooki, and Vinny’s beds, anyone observing should be convinced of the importance of religious condom use. And they will probably also be wary of getting in a hot tub again, as the action of sitting in one seems to almost always lead to sex.

* Alcohol Should Only Be Consumed In Moderation. Watching the episodes of “Jersey Shore” unfold, it occurs that if every housemate had 3-5 fewer drinks per night, fun would have been maintained minus the physical fights, emotional fights, misguiding creeping, vomiting, and hangover symptoms. May all young people learn from this.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Jersey Shore • television

1. Commercial Real Estate

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful info specifically the ultimate section :) I handle such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time. Thanks and good luck.

September 12, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Paula

honestly, these people are the italian equivalent of trailer trashy jerry springer guests. neither the guys nor the girls are the least bit attractive. is anyone else sick of hearing about and seeing them everywhere???

March 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lucca ciccarelli

These young people lived under enormous stress, with intrusive cameras invading their privacy and driving them to emotional breakdowns. Bravo to them for making it through that hellish summer with their dignity in tact. All of these naysayers would have likely crumbled under pressure while these "bottle tanned guidos" shined instead. I only wish my own children will grow up to take these sort of risks. No risk no reward.

January 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Katie

I think people need to look at what the show truly is.... entertainment. If you take the show seriously, take a step back. Look at the facts- 1) it is an MTV show, what else would you expect . 2) When they cast the show, they are looking for people who will have a good time and go wild. 3) Most of the cast isn't even from Jersey, mainly NY. They are on vacation to have a good time for a month or so. It shouldn't really reflect on NJ or the italian community in a negative way.

I think the show is great! It is funny, and people should take as entertainment, not to portray it as 'real life'. (Crossing my fingers for a second season with the same cast)

January 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Johnny Vuko

I live in Jersey, and this DOES NOT make me want go to the Shore. A degrading show for the state. I don't think they're even from Jersey. It doesn't matter. All losers.

January 24, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

this makes all italian people look like trash..i come from an all italian family and not 1 member in my family acts like this..the girls act like trash imean face it mike pauly and vinny there guys either way u look at it guys are like that italian or not or w.e but the girls are trash how they act and speak

January 24, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. JJ

This is the most, and I mean MOST hysterical tv show review I have ever read. That said, I haven't read that many. However, Kate Torgovnick should be applauded for her well balanced act of satire in this piece. She took it all the way using judicious judgement without making the piece cross over into sarcasm which would have been too easy. Well, I'm not really sure if she meant for this to be a satire or sarcastic but either way it was really funny. Thanks for the effort.

January 24, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mitch

I am sorry but this Brian person better not be for real! He is a sad excuse for a parent letting the kids drink at such a tender age? 14 and letting them watch Jersey Shore? This show promotes violence, what is this world coming to?

January 24, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Adam

Jersey Shore = Entertainment

It has provided me with some good laughs!

January 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. stve

What losers. I lived in NJ before moving to Cali. What a waste of time and the people are really that immature there. That is why they don't get married until 30.

January 23, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CC

I don't know how you "metamophosized", Mr. Einstein. But I DO KNOW that if I behaved the way these social pariahs behave on my way to adulthood much less allow it to become public knowledge; it would be seen as an intense dishonor to my AUTHENTIC Italian-American family. And this is something I just would not do to myself or my family. Not to mention the kind of reputation that usually doesn't come off during the chrysalis phase.

We (Italians) are passionate people. Not horny idiots body surfing for Herpes Simplex 1 & 2. Screwing just about everything but the lightpost is NOT a metamophosis. What?! We are metamorphosizing from a Syphilis and Gonorrhea culture to an AIDS & Hepatitis B culture and somehow we just can't make the connection with SUPER-PROMOTING promiscuity?!

Wow, Mr. Einstein! E really does equal M*c squared...where the mass of a body (small-minded producers) is a measure of its energy content (mindless discrimination of yet another culture, Italian-Americans).

P.S. 30 mins of ONE SHOW was all that was needed to be permanently DONE with the show.

January 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Darren

Watching this show is like watching a train wreck. You know its horrible but you can't stop watching. Watching these clowns and how they act is pure hilarity and it shouldn't be taken too seriously. These kids are in there 20s and hopefully they mature. Here's to wishful thinking!

January 23, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. colleen

I can't stand it. They are not even FROM the JERSEY SHORE> Get this show off the air.

January 23, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Carl

For those of us who were born at the Jersey shore this show is a national embarrassment. Particularly since the type of people portrayed are predominately from New York. This is just another undeserved black eye for a great state with a beautiful coastline great seaside towns and wonderful people. These fools are not what you see in the surf.

January 23, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Les

Haha, have a sense of humor people. This show was funny, if you didn't like it you had the option to change the channel. Now, I'm so amused by the fact that you all know what the show was about, even the very same people that are here hating on the show.. which means that you were seating watching and hating it? Hmmm have a life.
    I hate how people have to have a negative opinion about something that has nothing to do with their lives..
    The show was funny.
    And yes, people don't really act like that.. but again most people don't have a crew of camaras filming them, they don't get to live in a nice house filled with free alcohol!

January 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Janet

What a bunch of pigs these people are! The men were gross and the women were a bunch of trash in high heels. I hope their 15 minutes are almost up.

January 23, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Murray

I think that while I would not carry myself in the same manner as those on the show, who I am to judge them?

As with most things on TV, it you don't particularly care for the show, no one is forcing you to watch it.

Also, for those people who lambast MTV for airing this show, perhaps they should familiarize themselves with the rest of programming on the channel. Jersey Shore was right in their wheelhouse.

January 23, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. MaryInBoise

I don't use the word 'creep' as an adjective either. I use it as a noun. Now the word 'creepy' I do use as an adjective. Especially when describing this show.

January 23, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mr. Einstein

I found the Jersey Shore to be a comical look at the metamorphosis that occurs as teenagers reach adulthood. To disregard and denigrate the behaviors of these individuals is to forget how past generations have conducted themselves as they mature. What is more important and enlightening here is the fact that human beings have the capacity to construct family type relationships with strangers, overcome obstacles and provide role models for others to follow.

Warmly,

Mr. E

January 23, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. CC

I grew up but few miles from Seaside Heights. I am also an Italian-American with my father being from Venice, Italy (No, not California or Florida) and my mother, also Italian-American, born and raised in New Jersey as well. So, as you can see; I am the real deal AND a dyed-in-the-wool Jersey Girl. I have romped the New Jersey Pine Barrens with all my TRUE Jersey buds. And let me tell ya boyz and gurlz, a TRUE Jersey Girl DOES NOT sleep around with so many classless men. I don't care if you are an MIT graduate or if your name is Snooki. It just don't happen. And MTV just ain't got nothin' on me!

In MY world, Seaside Heights is considered a superficial point of interest on the Jersey Shore. It is where some who are either too lazy or dumb or somethin' can't possibly go further or somewhere else. During the summer, it's riddle with people who (Get this...) will stop in a public rest room on Route 37 just so they can smear defacation on the walls. Or drive around town in the middle of the night drinking beer in bottles just so they can throw them away up decent resident's driveways just to hear the glass break and drive off laughing with wheel's screeching. Cussin' in public around our children and leaving used condoms and tampon applicators on the beach. Yuck and go to Hell! Do these people have parents who actually raised them? Oh yes folks, this IS the REAL Jersey Shore visitor I know of first hand. Fake tans and all!

When winter comes me and my Jersey friends would all breathe a sigh of relief, count the money made through tourism, close up shop and lay low partying out in the old cranberry bogs and thank God that we only have to put up with such a$$e$ for but a few months out of the year. Only then can we enjoy what OUR Jersey Shore really is without all the hype and filth. What a bunch of crap MTV is sellin'. Get it right or go home. Take the Sopranos wichya!

Caio!

January 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  21. V. Reynauld, Virginia Beach, VA

The fact that anyone is writing that these kids somehow inspired them shows just how degraded we have become as a society. They were nothing but foul mouthed, arrogant kids, most of whom look as fake as their personalities.

All they cared about was getting drunk and laid and doing whatever they could to continue to promote the "I want to sleep with a '10'" stereotype.

This show sends the wrong message to everyone. Here was the show's message in a nutshell: You have to be a 10 if you want to be "respected" and you have to spend excessive amounts of time in pursuit of that goal; getting completely drunk and dancing half naked in public is perfectly fine and its OK to treat women like crap so long as you get some at the end of the day.

There is nothing inspirational about these bunch of rejects. Sadly, it's guaranteed to have a follow up by the brain trusts at so-called MTV.

January 23, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. yo

really? this is all you live your life for? girls, sex, boys, being drunk, getting punched in the face? Wow...if people want cheap mindless entertainment then sure go ahead and watch this garbage...but really? Its a waste of oxygen and time for this show to even be aired....its ridiculous.....honesty this is something to be proud of?"I was on tv and acted like an idot...got an STD and skin cancer...but it was sweet?"

ugh....FAIL

January 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kile Anderson

These are the dumbest, trashiest people on the planet. It is Jerry Springer at the beach. A great way to show the youth of America how to be really, really stupid.

January 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Apu Whopooped

"The simple fact is that these people will all turn out to be National Hero's of some type down the road. The Situation is working on his masters at MIT and a couple of the other people on this show are Harvard Graduates.'

Masschusetts Institute of Toiletry is not MIT.

January 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  25. MD

Whats so wrong with social documentary? It gives some insight into another culture and way of life.

January 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. tim

So sad that this summer will be the 'highlight' of their life. Downhill from here...and they are so far down now to begin with. 'Roid rage and skin cancer (plus herpes?)...what a way to go.

January 23, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mark

15-minutes of fame for these people was 15-minutes too much.

January 23, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  28. EA Sports

Jersey Shore is the most pathetic waste of airtime I have every seen.

All of them are a bunch of tools; normal people don't act like this morons.
    "The SItuation"? ? Are you serious? The situation is that these people are pathetic. Period.

January 23, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  29. bob

Jersey Shore? ? give me a break, it is freaking new jersey for crying out loud NOT Ft. Lauderdale or Panama City. What on earth is the attraction? You have a bunch of roid brain's and ditzy air heads that are shallow and all the characters one dimentional. this show is just trailer trash version of real world.

January 23, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  30. oscar8

The idiocy of this show turns my stomach and produces a reflex in my thumb on the remote control to turn the channel. Pure garbage... the show and the people that actually engage in watching it.
    Seymour thinks the girls are "charming"... is that code for Trampy, foul- mouth skanks?
    Great comment KU Hawk! Amen!

January 23, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. RJ

Um, when is "creep" ever an adjective? "Creep" is a verb first, and a noun second, but never an adjective. The Jersey Shorians' usage is closer to the true meaning of the word than whatever the writer seems to be under the mistaken impression "creep" means.

January 23, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  32. Frank

I grew up in NJ and I can tell you for a fact that yes for the most part people do act like this. You will have your slutty girls attracted to steroid meat heads. Consequences will be paid when they are 30 and fat. FYI KU Hawk there is no such thing as a personality disorder unless they came up with some blood test to detect it which I have yet read about. It's called " How people act". Life.

January 23, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  33. Frenchie

Actually, if you look back at the haircut episode, Ronnie lets on that Mike has brought back a dozen girls to the apartment, and "hasn't gotten any" yet. Mike does not protest. My guess is near zero girls have ever slept with him due to his laughingly bad personality. There's less sex going on there than the show lets on. Would any of you sleep with these morons?

January 23, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jay

Everyone needs to stop hatin on these guys. They are all twenty something years old and having the time of their lives, and now they're making lots of paper for appearance fees at clubs. They are getting paid to party $$$. They're laughing all the way to the bank. I see nothing wrong with that.

January 23, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  35. Mr.Reasonable

It is summer. Their goal is to have fun and get laid. They are not breaking laws. They have a job. They work hard. They have graduated college. They talk bs. Why do you hate the show? Because Mike is full of himself? Because Sammi is a crazy, manipulating woman? That's just drama.

There is no fake attempt at a message (compared to, let's say, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, where you "have a big heart" if you can fall in love with a cute puppy). I live in Nebraska, and we have bars here, where people DJ, get drunk, try to hook up, and sometimes get in fights. Seriously, what are your qualms with this show? Enumerate them, please.

January 23, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  36. jerseygirl

I grew up in NJ and spent many summer days and weekends at the Jersey Shore.... on the beach and boardwalk in Seaside Heights, as well as Seaside Park. I never knew one person like those depicted on this show. Saw some real characters on the boardwalk, and there have always been trashy and loose people around, but the majority of people from NJ and the shore are not like this. We like sunny summer days, the beach, biking, fishing, surfing, a good sub and slice of pizza, Springsteen, and a cold beer. Where were these people even from? Glad I didn't know them, and I'm especially glad they aren't my kids.

January 23, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  37. Td

This show is a joke and a insult to all Italians

January 23, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  38. Ficer67

This show and these people are so repulsive. And to think that they are encouraging other 20 somethings to behave this way. It truly wounds me to see the network that introduced me to all kinds of great musicians has evolved into such a shallow ratings grabbing sham as MTV has become. MTV has truly become Empty Television.

January 23, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  39. Keven

Please, let us all take a moment to pray that this show is not seen outside of the USA where it will only serve to show the world what baboons reside at, "The Jersey Shore". May God help us.

January 23, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  40. nadstomp

I love how it was treated as purely comical when JWOWW hit Mike, but when Snooki got cold-cocked in the bar, they actually ran some violence against women hotline ad (and wouldn't even show the punch in the archived version of the show). Then, for the rest of the show it's just a riot that JWOWW nailed Mike. And fight after fight between the ogres on the show and whichever dudes they run into in the clubs. Lame. Send men to war like hamburger meat. KIck 'em in the groin and laugh. And wonder why wars exist...

January 23, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  41. Former Jersey Resident

Entertaining show! Although, they had the typical recipe of a Real World show with alcohol, attractive and animated youth, I enjoyed seeing how some of the cast members really appreciated their parents and their family. I also appreciated how the cast mates developed their own family culture and had family dinners together.

And the violence and hate featured on the show is accurate. The beach towns do thrive on the tourists renting houses in the summer. However, there are definitely locals that feel protective and aggressively territorial about their beach towns... And these locals do refer to out of towners as Bennies.

At the end of the day, it was a fun show to watch... as are most of the produced reality shows on TV today.

January 23, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  42. Frank

That show is an example of why I stopped watching MTV years ago. No more music videos, just absolute trash. That's all they show now.

Pure garbage.

Frank
    Charlotte, NC

January 22, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Former Jersey Boy

Congratulations MTV!!! My wife and I loved the show and hope that it comes back for a second season. I spent the mid 70's playing music at various bars up and down the Jersey Shore and just seeing these young people having fun and being themselves and, O.K., maybe having a few too many, brought back many memories. Some of them remind me of some of my Italian friends. Hey! At least they weren't driving! Lighten up people! If you don't it,change the channel!!

January 22, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  44. KU Hawk

What a group of losers and probably some diagnosisable personqality disorders to boot. What a shallow meaningless life. Might as well go fight in Iraq...at least you will have done something useful in life...served your country before you die. Sorry to hear good schools are wasting space on idiots when there are real people out there who actually have something to contribute to society that could have take the slot

January 22, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Seymour

I think this show was very accurate actually. I watched "Guido Beach" recently and the people in that video were almost identical to the New Jersey Guidos and Guidettes on MTV. It was fun to get a look into the real lives of actual Jersey people. I have always lived in California and have been curious what the big draw is at the Jersey Shore and now I feel as if I really know. I think people are too critical of these guys and gals. For one, they all look great. That doesn't happen by accident. They clearly take their health and their fitness very seriously. It takes dedication to have those bodies. And going to a tanning bed is much safer than exposing yourself to the sun's harmful UV rays day in and day out just to get HALF the tan that these guys have. Their muscles are tone and their skin looks great. They obviously have a strong sexual appetite so they are all in top shape. I have never been to New Jersey except for the airport but I really feel as though I have gotten to know the real New Jersey people not just those fake Springsteen and Bon Jovi wannabes. The girls are charming and the guys are tough and funny. People mock them unfairly. I bet they would all excel at whatever they put their minds too with all the energy and courage they have. Not to mention they are all good Catholics and family oriented folks.I will watch it again next year for sure. When are the new shows starting, anybody know?

January 22, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Brianne

Thank God we have reality shows so the E Generation (Entitlement Generation) has something to achieve in life!

January 22, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jone

The show should be called, Staten Islanders invade Jersey Shore! Can't be bothered watching a show like this.......too busy trying to raise my teenagers to be mature and responsible members of society.

January 22, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Angela

My favorite part in the end is how they were sooooo saddd their summer had gone by and how they felt like such a close family...get real after 30 days? bwahhahaa...while their endless nights of hook ups and excessive drinking among many other things is not my style it was pretty funny watching them all just make a fool of themselves.....the killer part is that they are making money from this now......so there you go let's all apply to be douchers in front of cameras and get PAID for it after it airs on TV and all of us can have our 15 mins of fame..we can all be celebrities!

January 22, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Todd

Remember they only air the juicy stuff. I'm sure these guys are putting on a show most of the time. Regardless – I'm hooked and sad to see the show come to an end. Its way better than the realworld.

January 22, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  50. votewithmoney

Fine line between class and trash – they all crossed it – every last one of them. Cheating on boyfriends, taking a buddie's girl, taking clothes off within moments of meeting people, trolling bars for someone to have sex with – no matter who they are – really, really trashy. If I ever go to Jersey Shore I'll be sure to get a tetanus shot first. Gross.

January 22, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Ray

You forgot the most interesting fact that young men can learn from the show: want to get an endless stream of girls? Simply imitate Mike and Pauly. Next time a girl tells you she wants a "nice guy" just do some statistical comparison involving how many women they get versus how many women your average "nice guy" gets.

January 22, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jaime

this was the funniest show i've seen in ages. It made me laugh my guts out!

January 22, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Snooki's #1 Fan

I for one, feel that Jersey Shore should be an inspiration on how we all live life. Girls: Sleep around, act slutty, go for the tools with big muscles and fake tans. OOOH! So nice! Fellas: Sleep around too, go get your pump on, do your laundry and then go out and get drunk everynight so you can sleep with the girls who are acting slutty who want to date you.

January 22, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  54. notlikethat

Being an Italian American, let me just say most of us our not like that at ALL. It's entertainment, put a camera in front of someone and they are different people altogether!

January 22, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. RM

Press release around saying a second show has been offered. And I don’t doubt these kids are smart, it looks like an act half the time. Although entertaining to watch and can’t wait for Halloween too. HA

January 22, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  56. CG

Creep has never been an adjective. It's a noun (as in "he's a real creep") or a verb (as in "creep into the house at night"). CREEPY is an adjective. You might want to review your parts of speech before publishing an article everyone can read.

January 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  57. West Coast.

The producers of this show should be ashamed and charged with corrupting americas youth! All of these kids should be kept in a kennel and away from the public. I really hope this show is cancelled and these no-body's disappear.

January 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Ayesha U

I only wish Halloween was sooner...I can not WAIT to be a guidette!

If you don't like it, that's why God created the remote...

Sincerely,
    Fistpump fiend

January 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Julesssss

This show does not "truly capture what its like to live in Jersey." Most people there dont act like that. AT ALL. This show is just capturing how a few trashy people act, not fair to blame it on the whole state. Saying stuff like that is why Jersey has a bad rep. Trashy people are EVERYWHERE. And IM PRETTY SURE NO ONE ON THIS SHOW IS EVEN FROM JERSEY.
    And "brian", I seriously hope you arent serious. Hopefully you just made up what you said to get a response out of people.

January 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  60. ManawaGirl

This show is amazing! We DVR it – hysterical laughter always ensues. Bravo, MTV. I take my hat off to you!

January 22, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Justin

This show is awesome. Fist pumps. The Situation is just a problem...... If they dont make season 2 they are missing out on a lot of money.

January 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jersey Hero

WHAT??? “J.Me”...The SIMPLE FACT is Brian is right. This show has been a huge inspiration to me and my friends. While we are not been lucky enough to be living in Jersey, I think this show has truly captured what its like to live there. Additionally, it perfectly captures how most of the people in Jersey act. My friends and I have been imitation the show to the best of our ability from episode one. Being drunk all day and all night, fighting people for no reason other than “the simple fact” that we can, and sleeping with every girl possible. I truly hope the show continues for several more seasons and people will start to spread the sweet life of a jersey shore hero to all other states as well.

We miss you guys already Jersey Shore, but I’ll be doing my best to keep the spirit alive!!!

January 22, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Ash

Two words for this article: Fist Pump!

Have a sense of humor. Anyone with half a brain does not think of these characters as role models. Is the show, in some ways, "disgusting", as one commenter put it? Of course. But if you can't laugh at (or with) a show like this, I have to wonder if you can laugh at all.

Now off for some GTL.

January 22, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Frits H.

And so the degradation of civilized society continues...

January 22, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  65. J

Sooo... those of you who don't like the show, and made negative comments – Why did you even bother watching the show and make comments here? Like The Situation said...if "hating" is your occupation", we've got a full-time job for you.

January 22, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ryan

All I know is that Im going to be "fist pumping like champs" at the next wedding I go to! I thought the show was HALARIOUS! Stupid, but addicting

January 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Mysti

Brian, I can't decide if your post is satire, or if you are really a 16 year old who stumbled upon this article while looking up "Jersey Shore" on Google.

January 22, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Diva

I think this show is great! I actually know people like this – except they reside outside of Boston.

January 22, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  69. theblurblog

I grew up in Pt Pleasant a couple of shore towns north of Sea Side. All these fools are from North Jersey and Staten Island. Locals consist of surfers, fishermen, and during the winter welfare recipients and runaway teenage moms who use the cheap hotel rooms. Actually the place is very depressing during the off season.

January 22, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  70. mike

What a waste....Idiots and thier 15 min of fame is almost over. Lets all forget about these bozos.

January 22, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  71. vinny

I wish Conan was on Jersey Shore getting it on with snooki in the hot tub.

January 22, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Anne

"..sheer quantity of women rotating through Mike, Pauly, Snooki, and Vinny’s beds..."

Did I miss Snooki having multiple women in her bed? I thought she spent the season getting turned down/thrown up on/punched by guys.

January 22, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  73. J.Me

It's actually a shame that we waste time watching nonsense like this.
    The show was not even funny and it was the same stuff from week to week. What else did they do besides hook up???????

Then we complaint why society is the way that it is...

January 22, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  74. J.Me

I hope this Brian dude is not for real... (rolling eyes)

January 22, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  75. brian

I have two kids one is 16 and the other is 14 both girls and I would have no issue with my children hanging out with the Jersey Shore kids. I hope the show is going to come back next year as my two girls love it and it is actually funny as they have been acting just like these kids from the Jersey Shore and now they are really popular at the local high school.

My 14 year old got drunk for the first time and actually got punched a few weeks after the firth episode and she spent the night in jail. I don' really have an issue with it as come on they are young and just out to have a good time. They use to stay home and study and were part of many clubs in High School and now they are just out to get drunk and party and have fun. I wish all kids were like this and knew how to really enjoy life to the fullest. I think I am a good father and I use to party a lot when I was young as well so the only thing my kids complain about is that they are not italian. So I am letting them go to the tanning beds 4 times a week and they both dyed their hair dark black.....I think it is great and we are all having fun with it!

January 22, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  76. gel

A disgusting show full of losers.

January 22, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Jonas

Pauly D and The Situation at Jet in Vegas tonight! Pauly D on the ones and twos, baby! Get your GTL!

January 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |