January 21st, 2010

Unauthorized Oprah bio to hit shelves on April 13

testing captions
testing captions

Biographer Kitty Kelley is getting set to release her unauthorized biography of the Queen of all Media, Oprah Winfrey.

The 544-page book, “Oprah: A Biography,” will be released on April 13, with a first printing of 500,000 copies.  Kelley's publisher Crown claims the writer has spent three years researching the tome and conducted 850 interviews with sources, some of whom have never spoken before about Winfrey for publication.

Kitty Kelley is no stranger to tackling public figures. Her previous books have taken on the Bush family, Princess Diana, Frank Sinatra and Elizabeth Taylor.

Camp Oprah had little to say on the subject, telling CNN that Oprah hasn’t seen the book in advance of publication.

"Oprah hasn’t participated in or read Kitty Kelley’s book, so she is unable to comment,” said Winfrey spokeswoman Lisa Halliday.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Kat

I love Oprah and always have. She might be a lesbian but all of the evidence suggests she is straight, just way too rich & successful to get married. I'm not interested in Kitty Kelley's books because all of her sources are anonymous. We have no way of verifying anything she claims, we're just supposed to trust Kitty Kelley, and yet she has never established herself as a credible journalist. She will print anything that sells.

January 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. W. Mercier

Oprah! Oprah! what will they tell..and for the record who cares. Not me..
    I have read some of Kitty Kelly's books and they will make you think about her subject.
    Oprah has told almost all of her past on her show, so I can't believe there will be much scandle left to tell..and she does love herself.

January 23, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. Anony

Oprah and Gail.
    Everyone seems to be speculating.
    Oprah said, if we were gay, we'd say so because it's not a big deal anymore!!! Riiiight?!?!
    No. I don't think so.
    No matter what she says, she'd lose a big part of her audience.
    And since she's leaving in two years, why rock the boat?
    But that would be some last show...

January 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Christine

People follow Queen "O" like the pied piper.......down that path that leads nowhere.

Kelly's book isn;t worth the money......but she sure does dig deep for her book subjects.

Wonder what she'll say about the Queen & Gail???

January 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sue

Too bad Kitty can't to a Tell All on Kate Gosselin. Show the whole world what some are trying so hard to hide! And why, that is what REALLY should be uncovered!

January 22, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Carson Mitchell

Why, why, do you all think that money will save the world and especially Oprah's money. Come on people get a life and stay out of Oprah's life, and her purse!

January 22, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tamira

J.P.

I'm not against Kelly writing a book about Oprah. What's bothering me are the hateful comments that's being said about her and her lifestyle. Personally, I don't idolized celebrities because I know that they are human with many flaws and that's something that millions of dollars cannot take away. I just think that whatever she does with her money, time, or her business practices should not involve us. She is the Queen of Talk and nobody, not even Kelly's book will take that title from her. She earned it...

January 22, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Wanda

All I see in these comments is jealousy. Oprah is where she is today due to her hard work and intelligence. Get over it. She is entitled to wear whatever the hell she wants just like you. How would you like it if someone sat in judgment of where you spent your paycheck? Get over yourselves already. I'm proud of Oprah and wish her the best!

January 22, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. MaryLouise

Some seem to think she can't have a spiritual relationship with God because she's wealthy...interesting. Some seem to think it would be a character flaw if she is gay...interesting. Sounds like some posters need to slam this incredibly successful person instead of celebrating her success...also very intereting, and sad.

January 22, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. steve

Whats wrong with showing her as a regular person with flaws like the rest of us?
    Or is it Saint Oprah?

January 22, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. McNair

That's Show business folks! You want the fame, the glory and the money from your fans, they want YOU....

January 22, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. vella

We are such a blessed nation, yet we are so bitter, envious, judgmental, and negative. I guess this is what happens when we are so "full of ourselves".

January 22, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Liz

I had no idea people thought Oprah was gay. I wouldn't know, because I don't watch her show, because I think she's awful. She's a billionaire pitchman. Anyone who promotes a loon like Suzanne Sommers and her stupid diet books and dangerous alternative cancer treatments deserves all the criticism she gets.

January 22, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ace

Oprah has made incredible contributions to society with her organizations and show. Don't matter what Oprah does in her personal life.

January 22, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sharon House

"He that is without sin,let him cast the first stone. Looking for the skeletons in someone else's close may unearth the cemetery that we have. When will we learn as humans that we are never in a position to judge others. We are all "frayed, flawed and finite". A perfect God can use us in spite of our selves. In the end He will have the last say so and will judge everyone.

January 22, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  16. Kay

Mercy me! Leave her be!

MM, I agree w/ you ...

January 22, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  17. Froggy

I am retired and have absolutely nothing else to do. What is everyone else' excuse for being in this discussion?

January 22, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  18. JMN - Amsterdam

I consider myself a Christian and if I was wealthy as Oprah, I too would wear fine clothes, shoes, travel in my jet and live in expensive mansion. This is the life that God has blessed me with and furthermore, there is no worst sin than to throw away God given blessings. Oprah gives some of her wealth away and not one of us have the right to tell someone else how much they must give.

This brings me to the other point. Should the current Pope be considered a spiritual person? Many people would say "yes". However, would they still say yes if they know that the current Pope wears Prada shoes, sunglasses etc. This Pope has brought back the most astentacious of the Pope's outfits which was stored away for a couple of centries.

January 22, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. Nan

Strange how people can be so vicious about a successful woman. I doubt she is gay. Why would she not say so if she is? Many stars..male and femal..have come out and it is no big deal at this point in time. Ladies out there, do you have a best, female friend? Does that make you gay?

She gives millions to charity. Truth be told, percentage wise probably gives more than many of those reading this.

Stop being so hypocritical.

All these phony evangelists have limos, private planes, mansions, etc and apparently that is just fine. But let a successful, single, woman dare such a thing and the jealous, snide comments begin.

January 22, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. Debulator

Kitty Kelly writes crap. I'll wait for Oprah to come out with her own book thank-you.

January 22, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  21. Theresa

It doesn't matter what she wears or how much money she has. All of that is her business. What I am glad about is that someone will finally lift the lid on her life. She has been doing the same on live TV to so many others and sometimes with a complete lack of sensitivity and too much judgement. I find that somewhere along the line Oprah lost her sense of integrity and ratings became her primary focus – but that is just my opinion. I stopped watchig her show many years ago and will probably never read her book but it is nice to know that it will be out there and that it will cause her some distress.

January 22, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. Dee

I find it very interesting how we love to hate. I doubt any of the prior comments are based on personal knowledge.

January 22, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  23. Leeko

Oprah is not a Christian, by the true definition. Youtube it. She stated it on her own show. She does not believe you have to believe in Jesus Christ alone for eternal life.

Surely everyone does know that she is full of herself though. She can't even conduct an interview without talking over someone or continually looking into the camera while the person is talking.

As far as her followers, they are the Church of Oprah.

January 22, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. Debra R

Kitty Kelly is not an author. She is a hack, that plays fast and loose with facts...

January 22, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  25. Kathy

I can't believe that the people posting here don't understand that Oprah and Gail are best friends. Don't any of you have a best friend? Plus, what would it matter if she were?

January 22, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  26. Angie

Kitty Kelly is the bomb. I will buy the book.

January 22, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  27. michelle

Gee.....I'm guessing Kitty won't be selling her book on the Oprah show.............

January 22, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  28. Lisa K.

Oprah does not follow Jesus....she is a new age woman.
    I think that she has led countless people down the wrong path....she will be judged.

Good works do not get you into heaven....only the blood of Christ

I pray she will find Him

January 22, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  29. jon federalsburgstreet

The "O" will fall like a 2 yr old in a size 10 mens shoes. She loves to be worshipped and the Lord will not tolorate it.

January 22, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  30. Jill E

Ya' know, why do so many people have this bad attitude about Oprah? What exactly has she done that was bad? I know she has done some great things, including getting people involved in their own giving. I just don't get this animosity.

January 22, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  31. Rita Barber

What harm has this woman done to you or in your life that you would speak about her in such sardonic terms?

January 22, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  32. Jeff

Who gives a [bleep]? Why is this news?

January 22, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mary bryant

I can not believe all of the hatred that you people feel for Oprah. It can not be anything but Racism. She has done such good things with her money. What have you done?

January 22, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  34. barbara

Wow...never get over how some people can figure ,How great thou are......Does anyone one ever have a nice word? We live in a very greedy world, if you can't understand tear it down.....and make all kinds of reference to how bad they are..and you can't have a FRIEND without being gay.....go figure.........

January 22, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  35. Richard J. Hanson

Sounds like all you commentors need to take a good look in the look in the mirror..

January 22, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  36. pappy

Hey Bill, are you familair with: Pat Robertson,Jerry Falwell,James Dobson or any of the other lunatic religious extremists?

January 21, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. matt

To vic well said Lol !!!!!

January 21, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Vicky B.

I am with Bill above. If Oprah was some sort of spiritual person, and I mean a HUMBLE, spiritual person, she would not be wearing the finest clothes, the most expensive shoes, flying on private jets, owning millions in real estate and supporting her friend Gail.

What she WOULD be doing, instead, is giving most of her billions to Haiti and other devastated parts of the world where it could make a difference.

Now THAT is being spiritual and humble.

In 100 years from now, none of this will even matter to Oprah. But, by her doing something now with her billions, could change things in a huge way for future generations where poverty/destitution are at its worst these days.

His Holiness, the Dalai Lama brings in millions upon millions of dollars. But, guess what.... he wears a simple cloth robe and simple shoes and claims none of that money. He puts it where it needs to go.

Oprah will be remembered most for her talk show, but that's about it.

Sorry, O.

January 21, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Moonbeam

I have heard that Oprah is a very nice person to work for and people on her staff tend to stay. I have no doubt that is true. I just wonder why a woman who lives for years with her boyfriend out of wedlock can make any claim to Christianity, and especially to the extent of calling a huge group of world religious leaders to a public prayer meeting (or whatever it was called) following 9/11. It was an ambitious and impressive endeavor, and appeared to be quite successful, but no mention was made of her cohabitation status, which is against most of the religions represented at that gathering. I enjoy her as an entertainer and greatly admire her success and philanthropic endeavors. I also don't like to see people like one of the posters above criticize her for her wealthy lifestyle and saying she cannot claim to be Christian because of it. Not true - it is her view on premarital sex, not her wealth, that it at issue.

January 21, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. rita benedict

I watched her a couple of time didn't much care for her so i just didn't watch her. i am sure she is full of her self if i had done what she has i would be full of my self. people will buy the book and enjoy reading it and say i told you so but they really don't care about her. she won't even be in our conversations 6 month down the line she hasn't done anything to improve my life i won't miss her but will read the book like kelly"s fiction.

January 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. MM

Let's all take a deep breath and consider how we would be thinking and feeling today if we were aware that Kitty Kelley, or another biographer of whatever stature, were putting out a book on our lives, our friends, our family members, our careers, our marriages, our relationships from
    childhood, our freshman year, our prom night, our parents, their
    parents, our addictions (we all have some) overcome and not, our acting abilities, our ambition or lack of it and so on and so on . . . which millions
    of people who don't know us well at all but hold an opinion of us based on our public selves will purchase in the next few months.

Want to trade places? I wouldn't.

January 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ella

Miss O. Is smart, pretty lady I don't understand why K.K. dipping in O. business she just trying to get rich. And if K.K. do make money lots of money off this book donate it to Haiti please I hope you read this page and don't lie about miss O. make it real.

January 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. suzanne

Kitty Kelly wrote about the royal family. Not about Princess Diana alone. The book came out shortly before or after Dianas death.

January 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  44. KR

It is the price of fame. Get successful in America and find yourself pilloried in grocery store rags and Kitty Kelly. What's new.
    Jealousy, envy and sour grapes!

January 21, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  45. J.P.

Tamira, I think Kelley's books are more about tearing down the cult of celebrity. Frank Sinatra was a complete and utter piece of garbage, Nancy Reagan was no sweetheart, the British royalty and Bush families obviously have their demons, etc. Why do we look up to some of these people? I think that Kelley does enough research that you cannot just discount her books as tabloid – even if some claims seem dubious, she states her sources and lets the reader decide.

In any event, we don't even know if the Oprah bio is going to be that bad.

January 21, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  46. bill

Sorry, Tamira, I agree with Trev. I've given just as much as Oprah on a percentage of income basis. I think she's a phony. And she doesn't even know how much of a hypocrite she is. She showed a photo of a bird that had a plastic bag on its head from ocean pollution, then the next week she gave away coupons for free KFC sandwiches. Doesn't she know how colossally damaging factory farming is to the planet? It's staggering her ignorance.

January 21, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mikele

I wonder if Kitty Kelly's book will make Oprah's book club.

January 21, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Julia, Pacific Palisades CA

Goodness. You people need to relax. It's a book. The subject hasn't taken part in its writing so the facts will be skewed here and there. No one knows about anyone else's life enough to tell their whole story, even if that story is told from the view point of sources around that person. If it's biographical, Ms Kelly should have requested the subject's help and if Ms Winfry chose not to participate, Ms Kelly should make it very clear that her book could be shelved under fiction...

January 21, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  49. linney17

Wow, Trev, I didn't know Oprah allowed perfect strangers to delve into her financial records but you make it seem like she gave you a pass.

Seriously, why the hell would we believe what you're saying? You sound like a spiteful child who can't do math.

January 21, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jusus Nolo

This will be Ms.Kelly lasts book, nobody messes with the O and lives

January 21, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  51. JacklynD

trev – I like the "successfully" sued statement. I have no idea where Oprah spends her money. I don't care where Oprah spends her money. She earned it and she can spend it where she likes. I am in awe that you know so much about her personal finances and know how much she donates.

January 21, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Carole

Personally I think her personal life is none of our business. Just think about it, would you want an unauthorized book written about you and your life........people who read this have no life and should get one.

January 21, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  53. vic

Gossipers! Georgians! Have you guys forgotten what she went through in her life before she gets to where she is now? Why focusing attention and judging (Georging) her success? Honestly, if you guys channel the time and energy you guys devoted to georging her into your personnal life, you would archieve something worthwhile. Ame bo. Let her be. Afterall, is a free World.

January 21, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Linda - NJ

Hard times and crisis often lets us know who we are – unfortunately, the hard times we are going through is showing just how ugly Americans have become – Oprah has done much good for others and yet people obviously hate her – no wonder we can't pull ourselves out of this mess.

January 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Brad

Who cares if Oprah is gay? That is her business and her private life. The point is what she brings to the table and she brings a lot, look at what she has accomplished and tried to accomplish. She has cracked, NO shattered the glass ceiling. Her picture is on her magazine because it is her magazine. For someone to write a book without interviewing the subject makes the books value less because the facts were/are not checked, just ask CBS news about this.
    I say more power to Oprah and if she decides to write an autobiography at least we know the facts will be correct because they came from the best source, Oprah.

January 21, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  56. lanray

Never cared for her arrogance and never will. No doubt in my mind that she is lesbian - who cares? Let her retire and count her money from one of her many mansions. I won't miss her.

January 21, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Lou

What if she is gay? Who cares? She's smart and successful. She is full of herself and good on her! Why is she supposed to give away all her money to prove anything? She had a vision for herself and did the hard work to get there. So what are you doing tonight to further YOUR vision? Turn off the TV (and yes, Oprah) and the internet and get to work.

January 21, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Tamira

Here we go again...Whenever someone has been on top for a long time and they can't find anything wrong with them. The public just start hating them for no reason at all. Just like they are doing Ms. Winfrey. Don't hate because she is successful, have the love of millions, and is a substantial giver. The only reason people are worried about what she spends her money on is because she not spending it on them. Get a life and get out of Oprah's.

January 21, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  59. trev

Kitty Kelly has never been successfully sued JacklynD – so to say the book won't be factual is a joke. If there are lies, you can bet that the queen of all media will sue her into oblivion. The FACT is, Oprah is NOT the humanitarian she claims, she does less with her wealth than I do on a per capita basis. She's a limo liberal who wants OTHERS to give until it hurts, but she keeps her billions in the bank. Yeah, we believe you Oprah...

(and yeah, she's gay ... not that there's anything wrong with that)

January 21, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  60. nicki

What's wrong with our country? Why are you so vicious? In other cultures, being same sex close friends is not looked at with suspicion. Sisterhood and brotherhood are normal human relationships. Here, everything is pointing to sex. That's all you people are interested in, who's in who's pants. Have you heard that what you focus on you become? Exactly! Look in the mirror.

January 21, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  61. scott

Hopefully this book knocks her down a notch, as she is full of herself....why else would her picture be on the cover of her magazine....Steadman Graham was nothing more than a distraction to give the illusion she was not a lesbian.

January 21, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  62. bill

I don't believe Oprah's gay. But I do believe she's delusional about her good deeds. She claims to be spiritual – even a follower of Jesus, but she wears thousand dollar shoes and flies on a private jet and just one of her homes costs 50 million dollars.... but she's still a billionaire. Oprah, think you're going to heaven on your private jet and can take it all with you?

January 21, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  63. JacklynD

Kitty Kelley doesn't let fact checking stand in her way so it should be a good fictional account of Oprah's life.

January 21, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  64. scott

I agree that the truth about Oprah and Gail King will finally be revealed.

January 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  65. montana

I would not be surprized if the "O" is gay, and she knew this book was letting the cat out of the bag, so she ended her show, was w/GAIL, uh, but did she not say for years, BE YOURSELF, own it, blah blah....

January 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  66. chuck

Finally the truth will come out about "the best friend Gail", yes?

January 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  67. sheila

whatever, not like we need yet another peek into the world of MS. O.

January 21, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |