January 20th, 2010

'Idol' in Chicago, were you entertained?

testing captions
testing captions

I have to admit, Tuesday night’s “American Idol” Chicago auditions left me a little bored.

Coming off the zany, buzz-worthy deliciousness that was Atlanta last week, Chicago came across as flat and dull.

There was talent, most notably 16-year old Charity Vance from Little Rock, Arkansas whose sweet and unique version of “Summertime” almost made me forget how many times that song has been butchered since season three winner Fantasia made it an “AI” audition staple.

And I am rooting for 28-year-old Chicago resident Angela Martin, 28, the mother of a special needs child who has twice made it to the “Idol’s” top 50 only to be derailed. Martin has a great voice and her story of tragically losing her father the first year right before she advanced to Hollywood and then having to pull out the next year because of a traffic violation has me really hoping she gains some traction this season.

Even the presence of guest judge Shania Twain didn’t do much for me. For the most part, Chicago left me feeling blah and I wonder if “Idol” showed its hand too early on by running the Atlanta auditions right off the bat.

I can’t imagine that there will be another “Pants on the Ground” moment that will be as much fun to watch and talk about. But you never know with “Idol.”

1. Kate

What I found incredibly upsetting is that there was so much talent in Chicago, but the producers choose to run a circus full of freaks in front of their TV viewers than real talent. As a voice teacher, a prouder and singer for over 40 years, I have seen, heard, hired and lived around incredibly talented people. I sent four singers to auditions in Chicago – the producers acknowledged their talent but didn't put them through. One of them, is one of the best singers I have ever heard, but the producers passed, commenting that he just wasn't quite what they were looking for. Maybe next time he should wear a clown outfit. I understand a show wanting to entertain, but not at the expense of our intelligence and a truly talented individual's chance for a break.

January 21, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. wrinkle

It was boring...can't imagine what American Idol will be like after Simon leaves.

January 21, 2010 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Candace

I like the funny people on audition shows such as Pants on the Ground....but last night, there weren't that many funny people. There were more people who were just plain annoying. I think it would have been far more interesting if they had shown more of the ones that got golden tickets. There were quite a few given out that we didn't see. I hope tonight is different. I was really disappointed. It's time to get down to business!

As for Shania, I thought she good on there. I don't miss Paula at all and look forward to Ellen. I don't think I will be fast forwarding as much this year since Paula won't be on there rambling. But who knows.....

January 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jamie

Chicago was disappointing, though loved Shania!!!

January 20, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cindy

I watched the show only because of Shania Twain.
    And I could honestly say Shania was great despite having to put up with dull singers.
    Just having Shania on the show was worth watching.
    Shania brought such a good and fun vibe to the show that was missing with the other 2 dull guest judges.

January 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jennifer

I hung in there to see Charity Vance and was impressed with her unique vocal sound but to be honest when the commercials came I started flipping the channel. Before long I had forgotten what I was oringinally watching and missed the rest of the show....I'm usually a die hard "watch it start to finish" AI kind of person...this show was blah.

January 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

I agree Jenny.
    Shania was awsome, everybody loved her.
    She was smart funny and goof and gave some good advice.
    Not to mention she is a music icon who is one of the top selling artists of alltime and she bridged the gap between pop and country like no other.
    I can't see anyone not being impressed by her.

January 20, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jenny

Shania was the only great part of idol last night.
    She was funny,gave good comments to some wannabe singers and has the credibility of a legendary career behind her.
    And not to mention she is drop dead gorgeous.

Shania was just a fantastic judge and very entertaining and without her that Chicago show would of been horrible.

January 20, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chris from Bartlett

As a resident of the Chicago suburbs, I can say I was embarrassed and appalled at the lack of talent and the disgusting appearances by most of the contestants. I agree about Angela. I hope she does well this time. She seems like a sweet person.

January 20, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Diva

I hope Angela Martain makes it far – actually, she IS good enough to go all the way. I would love to see someone who truly would never have caught a break do well. Much like Fantasia!

January 20, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. Franky, Land of Lincoln

They were here? I didn't even know, there were far more important stuff going on than seeing our talent come into place. Good for them but I didn't know.

January 20, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |