January 19th, 2010

John Mayer talks girlfriends, tabloids and his sexuality

testing captions
testing captions

The soulful and evocative John Mayer sat down for an interesting interview with Rolling Stone magazine, spilling the beans about nearly everything you’ve never even knew you wanted to know.

On relationships:

John Mayer wants a girlfriend – like, a real life-partner one, he told Rolling Stone. The problem is, when he meets a girl, they’re all, “But you’re John Mayer!” Which means he’s stuck with girls he’s already been with. Poor John.

Ladies, if you’re not overcome by his John Mayer-ness and think you’d be a good match, here’s what he’s looking for:

“You need to have them be able to go toe-to-toe with you intellectually,” he told the magazine, among other things too explicit to post here.

On the inspiration for “Your Body is a Wonderland”

When you think of John Mayer, you inevitably think of this song. The inspiration may have a husband and kids now, but she and Mayer still keep up occasional communication.

In a recent email, she described what it was like to hear Mayer on the radio. “She said she smiled. I started crying as I wrote her back. This woman is precious…She carries with her information of this 14-year-old boy she knew. She knows the truth.”

On relationships with celebrities:

In the eyes of the media, John Mayer has had two great loves: Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Aniston.

With Simpson, he said, he couldn’t handle all of the media attention in his almost-year long relationship. “I got so many tension headaches from magazine covers it felt like a threat,” he explained.

His breakup with Aniston, he said, was one of the worst times of his life.

“I have this weird feeling, a pride thing, for the people I’ve had relationships with. What would I be saying to Jen, who I think is [expletive] fantastic, if I said to her, ‘I don’t dislike you. In fact, I like you extremely well,' ” Mayer told the magazine. “But I have to back out of this because it doesn’t arc over the horizon. This is not where I see myself for the rest of my life, this is not my ideal destiny.”

On his sexuality:

“I don’t care about anything other than energy,” Mayer told RS. And while he’s never slept with a man, he does say that he gets why people do. “I’ve seen pictures of men on the Internet that are sexier than pictures of most women.”

To read the rest of the interview, look for Rolling Stone’s latest issue, out February 4, 2010.

Filed under: John Mayer • Music

1. comprar ordenador

Woah this blog is excellent i love reading your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You recognize, many people are looking around for this info, you can aid them greatly.

May 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff

What a toilet paper tube.

January 23, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Laz

Thanks all of you! I had so much fun reading all that...laughed a lot, great sens of humor. You made my day.

January 23, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. Milano

It looks like he's trolling for some boy bootie. Who cares about his talent – every successful musician has talent – he's judging girls he's dated in public. Jen is classy, cool, and kind. This guy is a piece of meat bragging about emailing an ex who has kids now. That makes him cry !! Incredible, how self-involved this mosquito-face is. This is what Jen probably said to him: Go look up NARCISSIST. And like a typical narcissist, he doesn't get it. Its killing him & since he gets headaches from all those tabloid/magazine covers, he goes and shoots another one.

January 22, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cleveland

It must be hard for extremely talented, creative and famous people to separate what others think they see in them from what they see in themselves.

John is very introspective and honest. And I think it's actually very nice that he thinks back on all his relationships–the awesome ones and the embarrassing ones. He's learning and growing. Provided he doesn't catch some nasty disease along the way, he may make a wonderful, thoughtful husband and father some day. If that's what he chooses.

It's interesting to have that look at fame and relationships from an insider's point of view and I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

January 22, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Orville

Clearly size matters to this clown, but it's the size of his ego that he should really be concerned about. Hey, I have no problem with a guy speaking his mind; I am an advocate of free speech. But it's the mind he is speaking that is troublesome and an indicator of where these people are at really.

I want a partner who is real, that's all. Real. I like real people. Seeing the other side of the arc is something you don't see until you are at the other side of the arc. Sheesh. This guy has issues.

January 22, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joe

Wow. I don't understand how people think they have the right to abuse a "celebrity" through rude and nasty posts. I doubt most of you would say the things you wrote here to his face in person. Is this what our society has come to – a bunch of whiny idiots typing nonsense to "attack" others? Nothing more productive to offer the world? The man was interviewed and is entitled to any opinion or feeling he has. If you don't like it, stop reading and move on. You don't have to express an opinion on everything – just because you can!

January 22, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. michelle

He may be a talented singer, but he's definitely a troubled man. Run Jennifer, run!

January 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. winnie

He claims he doesn't care about fame but his carefully planned publicity stunts starting with Mrs. Simpson scream LIAR. Mayer should be playing backup for David Ryan Harris.

January 21, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. david stalker

Why are you defending Aniston? It's not like she's the brightest person on earth. Her acting is mediocre, and she seems to like to let guys walk all over her

January 21, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dai

John Mayer possibly a homosexual? What is he thinking the female body is bliss compared to the male anatomy.

January 21, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rachel

Jen needs to stay away from John sure he was fun for the moment but she is to good for him and he just wants the attention! Move on John leave her alone!

January 21, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. mcash

John, correction: I think it was Jennifer (et al) who likely had to "back out of this because it didn’t arc over the horizon of YOUR ego..."

Unreal. And newsflash: conviction and confidence are good, but so is some trace of humility...Oh wait, I have the perfect match...Heidi Montag! Her body is definitely a wonderland ;)

Blech!

January 21, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kecia

I am not personally a fan of John Mayer – I'm pretty indifferent to him either way. However, why does everyone keep making Jennifer Anniston out to be a victim? He realized she wasn't "the one" and let her go. What's wrong with that? Isn't that the way you're supposed to treat people?? I don't understand why he's condemned for breaking up with women he didn't see a future with.

January 21, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. Connecticutian

Contrast John's whining and posturing (on the cover of the Rolling Stone, no less... "gonna buy five copies for my mother!") with Van Morrison... somebody recently hacked Morrison's website and fooled everybody into thinking he had just had a son. Morrison released a simple statement that said (a) it's untrue, and (b) his private life is not up for discussion anyway.

I'll agree that Mayer is an excellent musician, and a pretty solid songwriter as well. But as others have commented, "shut up, John."

January 21, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  16. Margaret

Oh, forget what others think!!! I like what you say in your music...and I am 60 years old...

January 21, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  17. kadengirl

i didn't even know who this guy was before jennifer aniston started dating him – never heard his music or knew it was him i was listening to – i have no sympathy for this individual -

January 21, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  18. Ahren

Johnny – Less talky – more strummy ....

January 21, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  19. RS1981

Musically, I'm not a fan. I've only been able to stand one song of his. Every other song has just been annoying because the radio djs oversaturate the airwaves with his tunes. Personally I know nothing about the man that I can comment on one way or the other. Just think if he gets a celebrity girlfriend, I hope it's someone better than Jen or Jessica. Maybe he needs to do like Ben Affleck did, and get with a celebrity who keeps a low profile too. Look at how great it's working out for Ben & Jen Gardner. It's a far cry from the days of Bennifer I let me tell you. Much much quieter. Just food for thought.

January 21, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  20. Clair

Who is John Mayer's biggest fan? Why, John Mayer of course! He should just keep his mouth shut, because all that comes out is self indulgent vomit.

January 21, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  21. Lynn Thompson

In February, the whole article can be read. Until then, isn't it useless to really comment on this? After reading the partial comments, I think John Mayer is looking for someone that is "real", no more no less.
    As he states, he wants someone who can "take him as he is" and not by the status the media has labeled him with. What more would anyone want?
    Other than that, to me he is one of the most awesome artist that this era has offered us. His music blends a taste of yesterday and today. Anyone who watched the MJ tribute, should have noticed that his guitar needed no voice.
    John, "keep it coming love!"

January 21, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  22. gary

graybaby
    I don't think he a jerk. I think he was just in his best "Rolling Stone" let's be ultra
    cool and transcendental mode.. he is a great guitarist.

January 21, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  23. CU

The perfect person for John Meyer: his own self.

What a pompous self absorbed spoiled brat.

January 21, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  24. Sue

"I got so many tension headaches...." from all that media attention.....awww, poor, poor baby. I'm tired of celebrities hooking up with other celebrities for publicity, then whining about the paparazzi. While cashing huge paychecks for flashing their ugly tattoos. John Mayer: you're NOT all that.

January 21, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Alex

Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, Janice Joplin, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bono...just a few who have had fame 'and' problems with the press / paparazzi. And let's not forget the beautiful, Princess Diana.

Try singing the same songs over and over and over again then meeting someone who wants to listen to your music over and over and over again.

If the members of "Kansas" had lived in my house when I was young, they would have gone insane from listening to themselves all day long, everyday, without respite.

Original art requires introspection - honest introspection, although not neccessarily pretty, logical, or always understood, yields the best art ; art that speaks to other people who are experiencing similar situations.

Often we attack what we don't understand...it's okay if you don't understand...relax....it's not a big deal.

January 21, 2010 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  26. Ben

What's with all the negative comments about his finding some men attractive? Every guy, whether he admits it or not, can see if another guy is handsome, just like women can see other women are attractive. It doesn't mean he's gay, guys and gals.

January 21, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  27. aztjt

John,
    Get some help and medicine you're so narsisstic!
    Tami

January 21, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  28. aztjt

Jen,
    This guy is confused and needs help! You have given him too many chances to make it a relationship, with the same disappointing ending.
    You need to find a REAL man, not a selfish boy! He's talented, cute and messed up, hoaw much happiness vs. grief is he worth?
    Tami

January 21, 2010 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. Lisa

It was unnecessary for JM to address the reasons he broke up with Jennifer Aniston in such a public way. Be a gentleman.

Great talent on the guitar but not much of a gentleman.

As far as Jennifer "doing better" than JM - well, she had Brad Pitt. She blew it.

January 21, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  30. Sherri

Not a fan of this guy, but if I had to listen to either his music or all of the other absolute junk on the radio today, I'd tune in to his all day long!

January 21, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  31. Mandy

Sounds like a closet case who has issues w/ committment and inner truth. The internet comment about photos of men speaks for itself. I have no problem w/ male homosexuality however when you still date women and confuse them it seems unfair to the women. Time will tell.

January 21, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  32. Marty

This guy can write. "Say what you need to say" 36 times on one song. Brilliant!

January 21, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  33. jenn

I used to like him, NOT anymore! Wow what a narcissist! John: NOT everyone is in love with you! He comes across as such a conceited jerk. If he was a gentleman and had any class he wouldn't have sneaked in there that HE was the one who broke up with Jen. He's just trying to make himself look cool. He tries to come across as intellectual and deep, he really just ends up sounding like an idiot. To me he just seems like an insecure guy who keeps trying to pad his ego by dating different beautiful women, but he doesn't love himself enough so he can't fully love anyone else, so he jumps from girl to girl. JENNIFER YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL AND WAY TO GOOD FOR HIM, he did you a favor!

January 21, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  34. brenda

Dear John, don't talk. Just sing and play the music.

January 20, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. bingo

Dear Jennifer Anniston:

You are the most overrated actress ever. Please don't ever imagine that you are a thousand times better than this great guy. You can't do better.

January 20, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Rachael

I don't imagine it would be hard to match intellects with John Mayer (no offense).

January 20, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. yourmamma

Isn't it funny that we see such questions posed as-should Jennifer Anniston date John Mayer again? And then we think we may have the answer for her. I imagine she knows her answer since she knows him. Hey, if she isn't looking for a future with John whom has seemingly made it B/W that hey, he diggs her, but would never build a future with her, and she has some time to kill and doesn't mind "killing" it with John-boy ...
    JOhnboy needs someone whom can go "toe to toe with him intellectually"? So it isn't love and relationships that grow that he's intersested in. He just wants to make sure he's with a woman he can debate with. Oy -pubescent self-indulgence.

January 20, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jules

John,

Why don't you just date yourself. Obviously no one else is good enough for you.

January 20, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  39. vicki

what is with this guy, he is far from being good-looking. he always loos so uncomfortable even in his body. Far far from being handsome.. How did he get to be where he is I dont know, he cannot sing or act or TALK. and he is ugly ugly too

January 20, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jo

Uum, yeah. Jennifer is class, and I think kay put it best, let's check back when he's over himself.

January 20, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jeff

John,
    Keep on doing what you're good at. Simply the best guitarist and composer of the decade.
    What you do in your private life is none of our business!

January 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jess

This guy is so condescending. He thinks he's brilliant because he reads the newspaper. Goody for him. What an ass. Can you imagine being in a relationship with this guy? Always validating your intelligence, your peaceability, your whatever. After being in a relationship with this guy I would need major emotional help. And who are these women who are supposedly enamored by him. Really?

January 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. ruth

It never ceases to amaze me how talented this guy is as a songwriter, guitarist and singer - and what an idiot he is in interviews. I can't figure out how he chews his feet so long. I've been listening to him for years and he's one of my absolute favorites, but boy does he need to absorb some of his terrific lyrics and get pr lessons! (and ps – yes, I'm from wv also!)

January 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ms.Me

John Mayer, if you are looking for a girlfriend – like, a real life-partner one – I know a VERY eligible bachelorette who lives in Michigan.

January 20, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Karen, San Francisco

John Mayer?....I will NEVER understand the attraction.

January 20, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  46. kay

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Let's check back when he's over himself.

January 20, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Megna

I think Jennifer is my inspiration. She deserves the best not John Meyers.
    She is a classic woman to be with. I am not sure why man don't see that.
    I believe the lucky guy who gets Jen, is made for life.

January 20, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Marie

Just shut up and sing.

January 20, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Scott D

Hell of an artist...and complete PUTZ.

January 20, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  50. bill

Tommy Emmanuel is a real guitarist.

January 20, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Tiffany

You know I think all of us who haven't found that life partner almost get obsessed with it at some point. I really get that from him. I don't understand why people are so nasty towards him about the whole Jen relationship. I have had relationships where we deeply love each other but you aren't meant to be together. You respect each other and part ways. I have so much respect that they realized this and move on. I think he is an emotional, deep person and unless you are one yourself you won"t get him.

January 20, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  52. aliaz

I judge John on his musical abilities only, could care less about his personal life. Much like I judge actors on their acting abilities, I could care less about their political opinions.

Nobody here knows John or Jen, so how can you comment on their intelligence?

John Mayer's performance on stage is night and day different than what he does on his albums. He is an incredibly talented guitarist.

January 20, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  53. jully

Why are people saying that John is self-involved, and asking him to "shut up." Uh, it's an interview. And you're the ones choosing to read it.

On a side note (to all these people criticizing his artistic ability/integrity) – I'm not necessarily a "fan," but I saw him perform at the Hollywood Bowl with Buddy Guy – AND he was on The Chappelle Show. He's collaborated with a lot of people I've respected for a long time. He's gotta be doing something right.

January 20, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  54. memphis

Oh John if not for the guitar, none of these sweet ladys would even talk to you! you an't all that!

January 20, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jo

Interestingly enough, he grew up in my hometown of Fairfield, Connecticut.

Many of the people there are self-absorbed who think they are better than the person next to them. Drive down the Post Road or park in the local stop and shop lot, and you see BMWs, Lexus, Audi's and any other high priced car you can imagine. So this interview clearly shows that he is a product of his environment. Am I proud of it? NO–I grew upin the same town and probably had many of the same teachers as he did going through the school system. I am proud to be a teacher and work really hard at my job. I don't drive a fancy car, and I have plenty of responsibilities that I take care of daily, both work and family related. Thankfully, I don't have the high and mighty attitude as many in my hometown do, JM included–and THAT I am thankful for!

January 20, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  56. TPK

yewww. Jen can do so much better

January 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  57. guest

This manboy is ridiculous. He keeps touting himself as an intellectual as if women have to "rise" to his station in the intellectual orbit he fantasizes he travels in. I wish just one of those women had really tripped him up. Jennifer probably did and he couldn't take it. And even if she didnt' the reason you don't see him with a real intellectual is he wouldn't know one if he tripped over one.

And for his music? What a joke. He's so transparent, why can't these women see that? I know Jessica Simpson was a lightweight that one I will give him, but she didn't deserve to be treated like she was by him and I so wanted her to kick his behind to the curb.

January 20, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jason

Doesn't seem to bother Mr. Mayer when HE"S the one on the cover of a magazine. Only seems to bother him when it's because of his girlfriend. Hmmmm....I don't see how anyone CANNOT think this guy is self-centered.

January 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  59. John Zarske

John, all women are difficult to maintain a relationship with, rich and famous or not! That's why you have your guitar and writing skills. Keep on working your genius! Johnny Z.

January 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Donna

I'm sick of people getting away with being idiots based on how "talented" they supposedly are. But, given that it seems to be the way of things lately, no one has enough talent to be as much of an a_ _ as this guy is. Not sure I'm saying it right, but get what I mean? This guy is a jerk. Period. The right person will be the one who can, literally and figuratively, knock him down a peg or two. . . . . .or ten.

January 20, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Terry

Very good guitar player and singer who still has some growing up to do. What high-profile entertainers of the last century does that not apply to? From all I have heard from people who have met him, John Mayer is a humble, friendly guy with a good sense of humor and a passion for being the best he can be at what he does. So women go crazy over him...so what? Does that make him a jerk?

January 20, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JG - TX

JaJa – are you kidding me? John Mayer isn't that good of a guitarist? You obviously haven't actually heard his music or seen him live...he is a freaking surgeon on a guitar.

January 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  63. mark

I find it interesting that while he says he's never slept with a man there have been rumors for years that he's been seen at concerts making out with them and now he says he understands why people do. Then he's on the internet looking a pictures of men. Something just doesn't seem to add up in those statements.

January 20, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Nat

Wait...he needs someone to go "toe to toe with him intellectually," and yet he dated Jessica Simpson for a year? Heh heh.

January 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Sarah

I'm a John Mayer fan for the music... the man puts on an amazing live show.

As for personal beliefs and opinions like this article? I could care less... it doesn't affect my life and I've got far more things to worry about.

You want to fight about how self-absorbed, whiny, and not talented he is? I guess it's a good thing YOU'RE not dating him... and that no one is forcing you to listen to his music or read what he has to say.

January 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Lara

Who really cares about his personal life? But if his albums are the consequence of his experiences...then so be it. I enjoy his music and connect with it.

January 20, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Joy

All his songs sound the same. If you heard one, you heard them all. He only changes some words. It's like he's whispering all the songs.

January 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Jose

What's a 4 letter word for idiot?

January 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  69. BLC

If he cares at all about what image he projects...you'd never guess it by the things he says etc... he really comes across as a self absorbed jerk.
    He seems entirely conflicted...maintains that he hates the whole 'public eye' and celebrity thing but knows he's dependent on the very same for his own 'success'. How tormented he must be to have to pimp himself to the very system he claims to loathe.
    He seems compelled to date famous women while at the same time being repulsed by the world they live in. And exactly what 'pictures of men on the internet' is he looking at? I come across very few in just regular computing. Doing a little 'Googling' and Oogleing there John?

January 20, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  70. romayne

sucks being you, doesnt it?? make your life the better and enjoy the best parts...why linger on downers and concentrate to your talent.

January 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Jon A

I can't stand this guy. The only reason I put up with him is because my wife thinks he walks on water. I've spent thousands on JM concerts and associated hotel stays and travel to out of town concerts.

January 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  72. mitzi

DITTO JOSEPHINE–He is self-centered, whinny and not half as hot as he thinks he -J. A. deserved better

January 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jon A

John Mayer is a tool. What a putz!

January 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Linda

Good Grief!!!!

After reading some of his thoughts, which definitely proves he needs a shrink and then I just read where Taylor Swift is "seeing him" well, if this is true, she is in for the shock of her young life so she better run as fast as she can. Maybe Tiger Woods can loan him some of his leftovers.

January 20, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  75. havoc

This guy had Jennifer Aniston in his bed, and let her go?

What's wrong with men these days?

January 20, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Sally

For Josephine – actually Ms. Aniston DID have better – she just had no idea how to be a wife and keep him happy. What goes around, comes around. V.V her ex didn't waste much time in getting married – obviously SHE wasn't wife material.

January 20, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Lucie

"It doesn't arc over the horizon"???? Absolutely the most classic dump line I have EVER had the pleasure of hearing.

January 20, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Denise

His attempt at a tortured performer is pathetic. TO MUCH INFORMATION! James Dean you ain't buddy!

January 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Sally

I've never heard of him, or heard/know any of his songs. From this small article he seems like a self inflated jerk. As for Ms. Aniston – a person cannot "STEAL" a husband, the wife has to be lacking somehow. If she hooked up with this egotistical jerk, then she obviously has some serious issues of her own. Thank God I'm not a celebrity. They seem to lose all sense of reason and reality. The money they make would be handy though.

January 20, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Mary Ann Hoogeveen

This man seems to love himself more then anything.The truth be known,Jen Aniston probably dumped him and she has too much class to go and tell people what really happened.

January 20, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Michael Stout

Christian WV sounds beautiful. Thanks for the thought. And I got over myself years ago. Peace.

January 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Brenton

Yes Liz you are correct. We do all want happily ever after ... I want it, you want it, and I would hope John wants it too ... The thing is, from my perspective he had a good shot at it ... and threw it away. As for you and I, let's do better than John and not mess it up.

January 20, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  83. B

If you don't like spot light relationships don't date other celebrities... date someone who is like you. Someone who is down to earth and is into the same things as you. Happiness is what you make it.

January 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Jennifer

Based on his comments, going "toe-to-toe" with him intellectually would mean taking a few steps backwards for most people.

January 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  85. PatG

I think it's pretty insensitve of him to publicly state his feelings about why he ended it with Jennifer Aniston. That was completely unnecessary.

January 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  86. sheppard

I always got the feeling that maybe John wasn't so much a serial dater as he was someone who couldn't keep a partner – kinda like Jennifer A – this article fortifies that opinion!

January 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Troy

Barf. This guy is greasy. Those two women are better off without Him! Never slept with a man! Ba-ha-ha-ha

January 20, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Eilleen

Perhaps if Mr. Mayer stuck to his God given talent rather than blabbing on the internet and everywhere else about his former girlfriends he'd actually find a girlfriend who wouldn't eventually dump him. Pardon the old fashioned word...but he is a cad. Who wants a guy who kisses and tells and broadcasts via tweets and in lyrics about all of his Ex's and their faults. I think he's a very insecure and confused individual.

January 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  89. MAP

I find John refreshing, much like my boyfriend. He admits when men are attractive just like women do about other women. It doesn't mean he's lusting after them. I like that he's not afraid to censor what and how he feels. He doesn't care what others think. I loved when he twittered that he was masturbating. I find him hilarious. There is nothing wrong with a man or woman dating lots of people to find that "right" person. I did it and found my intellectual equal (he's a genius). I hope he finds the same, but until then just enjoy life and do what makes you happy. You can never make everybody happy, so you have to make sure you are.

January 20, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  90. HockeyPuck

I'm happily married and have kids now. When I was in college about 10 years ago, us guys would drink and just be stupid and do dares and things like that, but that's just what we did. It's like the guys in Jackass – you know they are straight but at the same time, you know they've messed around with each other at one time. Well, i'm straight but admit i've had a few times in college where I won't mention what i've done (most frat boys will NOT admit it). If I had to do it again today, definitely not – but it's part of my past and I never regret something I've done. No one ever twisted my arm to do something – when you are caught up in a moment, sometimes it's hard to turn back. Enjoy your life people.

January 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Kate

I think this guy is a bozo!

January 20, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  92. sam

Anyone who thinks he is not a good guitarist obviously does not play guitar or know anything about it. Check out the Austin City Limits segment he did with SRV's band, Double Trouble.

January 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Liz

"Toe to toe intellectually" is exactly what I told my son to look for in woman. And don't we all wish for and want a once in a lifetime, love of your life, electricity/sparks relationship?

January 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Bill

A legend in his own mind and his right hand hand is his best love.

January 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Country Roads

Debra, My apologies if I misinterpreted your post because of missing punctuation. Good to know you've visited and enjoyed your time in W.Va.

January 20, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Lori

Never cared for his music. His opinions and views don't interest me. There is hype surrounding him so I came to read this article. He seems self centered. He is just another musician amongst many I am just not into I guess.

January 20, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Karla

I find it ludicrous how much this guy is attacked. People he's just being honest, he's not saying anything anybody in his position wouldn't feel. Its just that he's not doing us all a big marketing favor and giving us the down-to-earth bullsh* we all want to hear.
    The truth is that if you're a fan and have ever actually seen this guy perform live, you know that he's incredible talented, incredibly intelligent and incredible loving and thoughtful. And frankly there aren't many girls that can live up to that, especially not in the hollywood circle he surrounds himself in. Being a cute, rich girl next door is hardly enough to satisfy someone like him.

January 20, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Eric

I'd be his boyfriend. Nice guy, cute and probably fun!

January 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jonette

What is the deal with that breathy, baby voice he sings with? Fake-o. Ick all over. Read the actual quotes from this interview rather than this watered-down summary and you will see what a giant, crude, TOOL he is. Don't care how good a guitar player he is - forgettable.

January 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Krista

I never knew that you could dress up "I'm just not that into you" like he did wow!

January 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Tiffany

If I were a celebrity I would say and do the most ridiculous things just to have the random jobless (or soon to be jobless) population argue about it in a forum on CNN. This is hilarious.

My vote: Great musician, songwriter, he doesn't have 7 Grammy's for nothing. You can always find a song on his album that you can sit back, and be like, "Yes, thats exactly what I was thinking." For intance, 'Edge of Desire', I am pretty sure that is the stage of life I am in right now.

However, que the relationship conversation, he just has to find his 'exception.' And it sounds like he hasn't met her yet. Yes, I just quoted 'He's Just Not That Into You', get over it.

January 20, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  102. swannie

I really think I'm going to throw up! It really escapes me what any of these beautiful, talented women would see in this self-absorbed jerk! I am SOOOO tired of seeing John Mayer's "love life", if that's what you want to call it, on every show & magazine cover I pass by. Your own ego will be your downfall, and I, for one, will be waiting for the crash.

January 20, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Steve Holcomb

I like him. He's good looking, he's sexy and he can sing. I can't wait to see who his next boyfriend is going to be.

January 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  104. alumette

Hepatitis C, HIV? is it in the wings for the pretty boy? It comes from dirty needles.....tattoos.....see about Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson...starting with Hep.C.

January 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  105. v

Why is he being criticized for what he has said?? The story is supposed to be a true account of his feelings. I am sure Jennifer Aniston will be fine..she is a big girl she can take care of her own matters.

I think it is good that a celebrity is finally being honest. Rock on John!

January 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Jayson

1. He wants to be able to date someone he can go toe-to-toe with intellectually.

2.He's seen pictures on the internet of men who were "SEXIER THAN MOST WOMEN".

Yeah John me too...but that's why I date guys and not chicks. It's just the way we're wired bro...simple as that.

January 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  107. alumette

Funny ...ha..ha....that he likes "intellectual women". Why then is he dating superficial women? Jessica Simpson.......intellectual? Jen Aniston....intellectual? bottom line: no really intellectual woman will look at that tattooed musician with an ego issue. He looks like a pimp. Gag.

January 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  108. JoAnn

John Mayer, what are you doing? You just crushed all the good things I thought about you. You should not look for anyone to love right now, either man or women. You need to love yourself first or at least respect your self. Then maybe when your not looking it will happen. Please get over yourself. I believe you to be a great talent.
    Get up and dress for two, but mostly dress for you. Also, just because you can't find love does not mean you need to find a man.
    I don't think at this time that's going to help you. Chill, stop looking, enjoy your life. Continue to make great music. Love will come in time.

January 20, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  109. alumette

I am reading the comment from E Bonita and she is right. He can't dance...he sort of bounces. That means that he is unable to let the music flow through him because he is blocked! He is rigid inside maybe due to his childhood. He lacks fluidity and that means he is "stuck in his ways". He has a long way to go in terms of bounding with other human beings. He controls. He gets what he wants.

January 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Music

He bores me to tears....boring article, boring songs, dates boring girls

January 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  111. smwboxer

The king of boring

January 20, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  112. alumette

The guy is a talented musician and song writer but he sucks at relationships...why? he is so involved with himself as to what he wants and likes, he can't compromise. He has to be the worst nightmare for a woman. Girls......let that dude move on as he may decide he would rather have a relationship with another man who would look just like him......I see that in the future for him. Get out of the closet boy!

January 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  113. eds

He's a shallow womanizing dip. Seems he just came out of the closet... so don't date women anymore and then demolish them publicly, follow your little stone heart.
    Doesn't sing well either, that is for sure. Nasally and annoying.

January 20, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Ken

Mayer is still out there? Who knew? I would have thought he simply put on his records and bored himself to death. In a world of Haiti, Healthcare, and economics, Mayer is still a relic of the 70's. Please alert him that Kenny Rankin and Dan Fogelberg have passed, he can start making real music now.

January 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Brenton

Anyone who would breakup with Jennifer can't be too smart. If I had such a girl, I would wake up everyday and thank my lucky stars. He may be a great musician but I doubt if he will ever know the true meaning of love. And yes I know and believe, love shouldn't be based on beauty, although Jennifer is absolutely gorgeous .... but she also has the personality to go with it. If I had a girl with just her personality, it wouldn't matter to me about flashing cameras, or silly tabloids, I would have talent and a love of a lifetime.

January 20, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Lisa

true, he might come off as something of a sleaze but let's not deny the man's talent here folks. he is a TREMENDOUS guitarist...just tremendous. every time i forget how good he might be...i hear some little known track by him where he really lets it go and i think, "Damn! This is awesome! Too bad I can't stand him!"

say what you will about the man's womanizing ways (and there's plenty to be said clearly).....he's earned his right to talk about himself in somewhat of a 'overly self-indulgent' way I suppose.

January 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  117. MeMeMe

A. He needs to be able to go toe-to-toe with them intellectually, not the other way around, and

2. Instead of "waiting on the world to change," why don't you do something to change the world?

.02

January 20, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Reggie

Most of the people that come out of The Berklee College Of Music, are KILLER musicians that can play they're collective asses off.
    Any kinda music, any style, THEY NAIL IT....BIGTIME.
    John Mayer is the exception RATHER than the rule.
    John Mayer = "Poor Man's" Dave Matthews.

HEY JOHN MAYER, FRANK ZAPPA SAID IT BEST A LONG TIME AGO:
    SHUT UP & PLAY YOUR GUITAR!!!!!!!!

January 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Deborah

John Mayer is one of the most self-absorbed men I have ever read about. I try not to read about him, but this time I thought I'd see if he'd matured and grown at all. Nope. He's the same brainless, boundlessly egotistical, ordinary looking idiot he's been since he hit the music scene. What stuns me is that someone like Jennifer Aniston would ever consider dating him. She may not be Einstein, but she's no dummy either and could have her pick of many other more desirable, more intellectually stimulating men. I guess some Hollywood people will do anything, absolutely anything, for free publicity. I don't envy these insecure individuals, I pity them.

January 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Mario

You guys are the reason why all the gossip magazine stays in business,
    good job for all your contribution.

January 20, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Michaelle

That's enough John Mayer!

January 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  122. E. Bonita

I saw him perform at the STAR concert back in 2002 when he wasn't quite as famous yet. I shook his hand, got an autograph, and took a picture with him. He seemed nice. He is cute and sings well, but he doesn't dance at all! He does this weird thing where he kind of like bounces on the stage.

January 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  123. The Dude

I know a guy that works for Us Magazine and he told me years ago that everyone in the business knows John Mayer is gay. I didn't believe it until I started noticing these little comments John makes in interviews about men. It's only a matter of time before the truth comes out.

January 20, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  124. steady fready

John Mayer met both Jennifer and Jessica at The Cold Stares concert. And says that the music completely took him off the pop path and made him vulernable to the spells the girls were casting. I personally would have stayed with Jessica.

January 20, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  125. peej

LBW you are spot on... he is soo in love with himself. as a person i find him yucky. but i think he is a talented musician. i think i need to separate the two in order to enjoy his music. luckily i don't have to date him so i try to put his self absorbed creepiness aside...

January 20, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Lynne

Uh, Rick from NH? John just released a new album 2 months ago.

January 20, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Debra R

Counrty Roads and Michael: You guys crack me up. Christian West Virginia is a real place, a tiny unincorporated town filled with wonderful people. It is remote and peaceful...and I am sure if poor John needed some time off he would be able to "disappear" there...I loved it....BTW there is nothing wrong with being a Hillbilly, living in West Virgina or believing in the Bible...I was just pointing out that if poor John is so distraught, he should find somewhere else to live and another occupation....everytime he talks to the media he is whining about something...better yet a trip to Haiti in his work clothes and hard hat might just change his tune a bit....

January 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Jackie

Marry me John, I wouldn't get all John Mayer-ish on you.

January 20, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  129. DM

He wants an intellectual equal? That would be a sponge.

January 20, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Laura

“You need to have them be able to go toe-to-toe with you intellectually,” he told the magazine.

Yet he dated Jessica Simpson for almost a year. And the magazine covers were the reason it didn't work out?

January 20, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  131. rick

I love the guy's music but could care less what he has to say when he's not singing.

January 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  132. beth

John just come out of the closet my dear!

January 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  133. teresa

He couldn't handle the pressure of dating Jessica Simspon? I think this guy looks for girls like Jennifer and Jessica because he likes the attention.

January 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  134. dms

This guy is a dork!..self absorbed is just the beginning.

January 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  135. JV_Truth

John Mayer is certified loser after the comments in this article.

January 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  136. CW

John's statement about "...pictures of men on the Internet that are sexier than pictures of most women.”...says it all...he's *totally* gay.

January 20, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Rick from NH

I listened to John Meyer years ago when no one even knew who he was. I just playing on the Internet and stumbled across a song. I'm 55 and I know absolutely NOTHING about music, and as soon as I heard his music I told my youngest daughter this guy would become an overnight sensation. His music was different, his lyrics great, and his style was unique from everything else out there. I was RIGHT! I could care less about his personal life, beliefs, relationships, etc. I absolutely love his style and music. Time for a new album with some new songs John, or I'm going to lose faith in you.. You are too talented to waste your time, get back to serious business- MUSIC!

January 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Amy

I feel sorry for Jennifer, she can do far better than him. Also, after reading everything he stated in his RS article and other articles that I have read and/or seen it sounds to be that he could swing either way. So, glad Jennifer is done with him.

January 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Jinenon

So he is complaining about publicity and not having privacy as he is posing without a shirt on the cover of one of the most popular magazines. Pathetic whiner.

January 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  140. dave

so basically he broke up with jennifer aniston because hes more attracted to men... yea. hes gay

January 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  141. mike t

ok..so Johnny-boy gets tension headaches from being hounded by the tabloids and always being on the cover of magazines..and he tells us all about it in a new nterview in RS magazine...oh, and he is also on the cover..DOH!

January 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Tom Kuleck

Poor, poor self-absorbed baby. Get a grip.......and maybe get a life in the process. There is so much more going on in this world BESIDES John Mayer.
    Doc

January 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Peachwva

John Mayer–It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Abe Lincoln... I too am from West Virginia, I am educated and also not a Hillbilly. I would not change a thing about who I am or Where I came from.

January 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  144. joann

Dear John Mayer,
    Please shut up.

January 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  145. joe

Did John Mayer just say he thought guys were sexy?

January 20, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Zac

John Mayer is probably one of the best musicians of the last 15 year(this is coming from a musician) As for the relationships go I'm glad I'm not famous. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to find someone decent when everyone knows who you are when you walk down the street. Anybody who has listened to the mans music can figure out he's not your typical "rock star" cut the guy some slack

January 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  147. JaJa

He's not that good of a guitar player. All his fans are women.

January 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Jax

Narcissist

January 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Jack

So Mayer is not entitled to complain about cameras and loss of privacy and all that goes with fame because he knew what he was getting into? What an incredibly stupid thing to say! There's nothing wrong with wanting the trappings of fame and fortune but at the same time wanting the occasional bit of privacy that the media seems unwilling to allow him.

I think Matt and bec are right. I don't think Mayer has to live up to someone's expectation of how to handle fame. He does seem to be more interested in being an artist rather than being a celebrity and unfortunately few people seem to think one can be capable of wanting one without the other these days. That's pretty shallow thinking.

January 20, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  150. cheri

John Mayer understands why men sleep with men based on pictures on the web of beautiful men....What the heck! Unless it is just experimentation as some men do when they are confused about their sexuality – men who sleep with men are gay or bisexual. Which is it John?
    What a stupid comment coming from a self-indulgent jerk. Could he be in the closet? Maybe. Or maybe he is confused about his sexuality. He has no clue how his remark sounds.

January 20, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  151. Country Roads

Debra and Michael, get over yourselves. I am a Christian and a West Virginian, though I am neither a judgmental Bible-beater nor a hillbilly. It's a shame the Appalachian people are the last socio-ethnic group of whom it is acceptable to make fun.
    You two, and John Mayer, for that matter, might benefit from spending some time in a place like Christian, W.Va.
    And thank you to Ken for pointing out that it's a real town; in a beautiful part of the state where honest, hard-working people know right from wrong and have their priorities in order. (No one from southern West Virginia is giving themselves tension headaches because of a few tabloid magazine covers, that's for sure.)

January 20, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  152. Sulingo

It is amazing that people feel the need to find fault and judge someone they do not know. This very talented man was interviewed, answered questions and nothing more. He is, regardless of his level of fame, entitled to his feelings and opinions. If you are not interested in hearing what he has to say, I cannot imagine why you would not only read the article, but feel compelled to make snide remarks about it. I wonder how many of the people who seem to KNOW how self-absorbed, etc. John Mayer is, have that problem themselves. I have heard many times that the things that offend us about others are the very things we don't like about ourselves.

January 20, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  153. bec

I have to agree with Matt – he is an incrediable guitar player and I would have to say that John Mayer Trio is one of my favorites .. I do, however, think everyone just needs to back off – what does it really matter? it's not like you have to deal with him in your everyday life, so continue to live your life, and he will continue to live his. So what if he doesn't want 1000 cameras in his face? That does not make him a jerk or self centered (though i have heard he is LOL) He is the kind of musician that is truely there for the MUSIC, not the fame.

January 20, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  154. Victoria

What the ??? "And while he’s never slept with a man, he does say that he gets why people do. “I’ve seen pictures of men on the Internet that are sexier than pictures of most women.”

What kind of statement is that?? Pictures of men are sexier than most women? I've always thought he was bisexual or something. He is a very talented man and I love his music but as stated above, you know exactly what you're getting into when you become a celebrity. Plus, I'm sure he got more cameras flashing, etc. when he was with Aniston more so then when he was with Simpson.

January 20, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  155. Michael Stout

Wow. Some really angry folks here. Most of you don't even know the guy, and you're judging him. I'd suggest you let him be, take a look in the mirror and worry about being a better person yourself. The guy is seriously talented. And nobody handed it to him.

January 20, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  156. karen G

I totally agree with Cleveland Guy..couldn't have said it better!

January 20, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  157. Amy

Oh brother. All he needs is someone who is smart enough. How is it he still has fans after that comment?

January 20, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  158. KateNAz

I used to like John Mayer but lately, I think he's a tool. He seems to like fame (and himself) more than anything. And like most musicians, he gravitates towards the models and beautiful actresses that attract alot of attention.

No wonder he's single.

January 20, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  159. Becky

John, I think you are awesome and very talented....I will go toe-to-toe with you anyday!!!

January 20, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  160. Angie

Is he serious about this comment? “I’ve seen pictures of men on the Internet that are sexier than pictures of most women.”

January 20, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  161. Diva

Part of me thinks John Mayer is the biggest D-Bag out there, (I mean bigger then James Cameron), but the other part of me thinks he is a very talented guy with a great outlook on life AND celebrity. But then again, he did date Jennifer Love and Jessica Simpson.

January 20, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  162. Jen & Jess

Dear Josephine and Enn,

You are not the most incredibly beautiful, amazingly talented women. Please don't ever imagine that you would even have a chance to get with this talented but self-involved musician. You could never do much better.

January 20, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  163. Melisa

I can't comprehend how Jennifer Aniston dated with this jerk guy. She deserves better, she is smart but made a wring choice dating falling in love with this guy who is not as smart as Jennifer.

January 20, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  164. Juniper

I'm happily committed in a fantastic relationship, but if John Mayer is looking for a couple of friends, my guy and I would love to hang with him. He is an amazing musician and and he has a great sense of humor. (Unlike a lot of people, we appreciate his wit and irony, which most people write off as jerkiness.) Have any of you ever seen him on his own show on MTV, or on the Chappelle Show, or on Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory? He's hilarious!

January 20, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  165. Linda

DITTO, Josephine!!

January 20, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  166. Rashaad

It's refreshing to hear of someone who is well-grounded and not seeking to merge their career with their love life. And, it's very understandable why he left both Aniston and Simpson. And Josephine (the person who commented before me), he wasn't being nasty or negative in any way, he was just telling her that the love wasn't going to last, and he's not a jerk; his music is very powerful and that's saying something in 2010.

January 20, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  167. Greg

I'm sorry...but ANYONE who has sought fame and fortune in the last 20 years has lost the ability to whine and cry about being hounded by photographers...The Cult Of Celebrity is NOTHING new, and he knew what he was getting into.

My Sympathy-O-Meter is peggin' "0" for this guy. Go cry to Jennifer Aniston and Jessica Simpson some more.

January 20, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  168. LBW

He is never going to find a woman that will love him more than he loves himself.

January 20, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  169. Steve

^ Dude, JM is incredible on guitar. Incredible.

January 20, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  170. Mary Fields

UGH. Can you say self absorbed?

January 20, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  171. Josie

I think Matt from CT is spot on. John Mayer totally shreds! I've seen him live and I wish he would rock out a little more on his albums, as he does in concert.

January 20, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  172. pierrebuie2nd

poor john meyer sorry you feel that way.

January 20, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  173. Enn

Ditto Josephine!

January 20, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  174. ken

Michael- FYI.....Christian, WV is a town.

January 20, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  175. cleveland guy

Overrated talent, mediocre songwriter, average singer. What's worse is that he seems to overestimate his own artistic importance.

January 20, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  176. Matt

sounds like he handles fame, success,talent and relationships – just like everyone else. Alas, he is under a microscope of scrutiny and the general population is not. He is supremely talented (one listen to the John Mayer Trio is enough to heap on the praise. I mean the man covers Hendrix, and does it EXTREMELY well – only Stevie Ray Vaughn could match Mayer in "cover song brilliance of Hendrix and SRV is pretty darn good company for an axe slinger to be in!). John is honest and open and handles the "fame" thing like a champ. Rock on, Fairfield, CT!

January 20, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  177. Michael

I'd like to see how any of you handle magazine covers, flashing lights, and zero privacy. Everyone wants to be rich and famous... what comes with it though I find unnatural. There's nothing wrong with being honest about things that make you uncomfortable.

Christian West Virginia... LOL. I love hearing christians judge people. It's the most!

-m

January 20, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  178. Shelley

Who really cares. Put your time and energy where it is really needed. Imagine for a second not having any water to drink or a crumb of food to eat, or watching your loved ones being rescued only to watch them die from infection...now, these are real world issues!!!!!!

January 20, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  179. alan

I've met the guy several times and he is a great guy. He's polite, smart and considerate.

January 20, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  180. Debra R

Poor John...I weep for you....you should immediately retire and move to Christian West Virginia. It is so obvious you cannot handle or appreciate fame.....

January 20, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  181. Mike H.

It sounds as though John Mayer would have been better off as an accountant rather than entertainer.

January 20, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  182. Josephine

Dear Jennifer Anniston:

You are the most incredibly beautiful, amazingly talented woman. Please don't ever imagine that you are not a thousand times better than this self-involved jerk. You deserve so much better.

January 20, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |