January 18th, 2010

'LOST' cast dishes on the future

testing captions
testing captions

ABC held its Television Critics Association Tour last week in Pasadena, California. It paraded a number of talent around to promote its upcoming and current shows, but no one seemed to take any interest in anything ABC was serving up except for the show that has a cult following. I'm talking about "LOST."

The final season of "LOST" kicks off next month and ends in May. And for the months that it's been off the air fans have gone into overdrive trying to figure out the motives and mysteries of "LOST."

So when I learned that I would be interviewing a few of the actors of "LOST" - Emile de Ravin, Josh Holloway, Evangine Lilly, Jorge Garcia, Michael Emerson, Daniel Dae Kim and Terry O'Quinn - I thought I would try and get LOTS of questions answered.

These were questions I had and questions my co-workers Mary Loynes and Rick Taber gave me. Questions like: "What happened to the children?"; "Will Walt come back this season?";  "Is Claire possessed?"; "Why was Libby in the mental hospital with Hurley?";  "Do they think the fans will be satisfied with the final season ending?" and "Are they moving from Hawaii now that the show is over?"  So I went straight to the sources and here's what they told me:

Michael Emerson who plays Ben Linus: "Honestly we don't know an episode until they give us the script and we don't get them until a day before we shoot them. We won't see that last script until April. I'm happy to be in the dark as an actor. It's important that there are mysteries. The landscape of the entire show is a set of mysteries and when those mysteries explode there is not much there."

Terry O'Quinn who plays John Locke: "In the 2-hour premiere it is revealed who Locke actually is. Although that's still kind of a mystery of who is that. But there's still a pretty big revelation there."

Jorge Garcia who plays Hugo 'Hurley' Reyes: "There's always going to be more to answer. I think some things are just going to have to be left as a mystery. But I think most of the big ones, you will have some sort of answer to. You'll know this is kind of what is going on here and this is what is going on there. There's no way we are ever going to satisfy everybody....Oh and this is Hurley's last season on 'LOST.'" (laughing)

Daniel Dae Kim who plays Jin Kwon: "I doubt very much that every loose end will get tied up because frankly it's like life. You know you look for answers to the big questions, but some things just get left by the wayside. But I think (the writers) I think they are pretty diligent and pretty conscious about answering the big questions and I'm pretty sure they will do that. I think you might see Charlie again sometime before the season is over. A lot of people who stopped watching after the first or second season will want to come back to see what happened to certain characters."

Emile de Ravin who plays Claire Littleton: "I'm pretty sure there will be stuff that is answered and people will be happy to know certain things. But I will say I come back in a rather unique manner and get to play around with my character "Claire" a little more.

Josh Holloway who plays James 'Sawyer' Ford: "I am going to change my underwear. (He laughs).

Evangeline Lilly who plays Kate Austen: "I'm doing something totally new this season. I'm not going to tell you what though. But it is very exciting. There is going to be a brand new version of Kate. I don't know if anyone else is gonna pick up on it, but in my mind it's very new and exciting."

1. Marvin

Guys, the producers debunked the purgatory theory during interviews back around the time of the first season. That ain't it.

January 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lost Fan

Why are all these non-LOST fans reading and posting? I'm a fan which is why I read the article. For those of you who aren't, get a life and read something you're actually interested in. This article obviously wasn't meant for you.

January 19, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RG

I can see the ending now. All the characters are eating in a diner as the screen fades to black.

January 19, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ws19

"It's boring, desperately and uselessly boring boring boring...
    ...I haven't watched it in years,"

Brilliant. Way to admit you have no idea what you're talking about and yet still feel anyone cares what your opinion is.

January 19, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sarah

A brand new version of Kate? You mean, one who isn't annoying and one who doesn't insist on tagging along to everything people try to exclude her from? Let's hope so.

January 19, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Norm

My question is: If the island brings everyone who died back to life, what's up with the people they buried on the beach?

January 19, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jim Bob

The last supper picture says it all. Locke is Jesus. They all follow him and he had to die and "come back" to save everyone. And like the actors themselves said....the show is pretty much nothing without the mystery so stop asking. Just another example of current society's obcession with immediate gratification. Spoiled children.

January 19, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. J.Crobuzon

I got progressively more and more angry and bored as LOST got progressively more and more boring and irritating. There's no secret to reveal, no big mystery; they all died in the crash and the island is some sort of boring purgatory. It's boring, desperately and uselessly boring boring boring. Like HEROES with palm trees. Get it over with and send them off to the afterlife – we all guessed it by episode three.
    I haven't watched it in years, and my distaste for the show has extended to the actors; good luck to them but I'll be turning off any show they appear in.

January 19, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

Never ceases to amuse me how many people make negative comments about this show (or any other show that is the subject of an online story). If you don't like the show or don't even watch it, then why are you reading and posting here? If I see a headline about "American Idol" or "Nip/Tuck," I don't bother reading the article because the show is of no interest to me. The very fact that you are commenting proves that LOST is of interest to you. That's because it is the best piece of television this century.

I just finished watching DVD2 of season 5, and saw the episode "316." It has my favorite line in the entire series (so far): Lapidus steps out of the cockpit of Ajira flight 316 to speak with Jack when he sees the other survivors and Ben in the cabin. Without missing a beat or showing any surprise or shock, he simply asks Jack, "We're not going to Guam, are we?" I howl every time I see that scene.

I don't watch all the podcasts and follow all the other secondary media to keep up with all the nitty-gritty details, but I do watch every TV episode 2 or 3 times before the next season starts, so I'm psyched about the new and final season. Bring it on.

January 19, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. No one

"It paraded a number of talent around to promote its' upcoming and current shows, but no one seemed to take any interest in anything ABC was serving up except for the show that has a cult following."

What is "its'?" Has CNN fired all of its copy editors?

January 19, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Susan - Canada

Hasn't this show been off of t.v. for a while now? Can't remember the last time I saw it....

January 18, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WTF

Another brilliant piece of journalism CNN...

January 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eric

Oh and don't forget Sawyer's dad shot and killed his mom. This writer has serious father issues.

January 18, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Eric

People are talking about Lost not getting recognition but really I don’t think the show deserves it. It started off interesting but the writing got too muddy. Everyone connected to everyone else? Come on….And I think the show would have been better off if the island had been a type of Purgatory. Like…they all actually died in that plane crash…and they who survived were in between the UP and the DOWN. Or in some sort of experiment of human nature by God. Something like that. But as soon as they returned to civilization it lost all sense for me.

And what’s with the Father thing? Does the writer have an issue with his own Father? Have you noticed all Fathers are bad? Hugo’s Dad abandoned him until he became rich. Sun’s Dad ran a criminal organization. John’s father was a con-man who tried to kill his own son. Jack/Claire’s father was a mean drunk who cheated on his wife and had a child he completely ignored. And somehow Sawyer is connected to everyone. Sorry, but Lost became like a soap opera where everything is so mixed up that it makes no sense. Is Pam going to wake up with Bobby Ewing in the shower?

January 18, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. teresa

I never saw Battlestar G. so the picture is new to me.

January 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mrgetz

I love the Battlestar whine. It's not like they were the first to do the last supper either.

Ever see the movie "Mash"?

January 18, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mark

Good call, David, seeing how Battlestar Galactica was the first show to use the Last Supper imagery in their marketing.

January 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Linda

I hope that if there are still some questions left unanswered, the producers will consider making a movie to tie up all the loose ends.

January 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. David

Total rip-off of the Battlestar Galactica final season take on the last supper....been there done it...

January 18, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Angela

I love Lost, but these cast interviews are always so frustrating- all they ever say is that they know nothing, but we will find out answers.

January 18, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joe

While we know he was the guy on the beach with Jacob, we don't have any idea who he is relative to Jacob. OK, so he wanted to kill Jacob, they have a history, etc. But none of that is actual information telling you who the other guy was.

January 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jobu

this article was about as revealing and in depth as the answers the actors provided. Hardly worth reading

January 18, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. elsie

Re: Terry O'Quinn's comments: how much of a "pretty big revelation" can there be in the premiere since "who Locke actually is" was already revealed in the season 5 finale by the "loophole" dialogue? He backtracks and says there's "still kind of a mystery of who is that" - I'd say that's where viewers already are as of now.

January 18, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  24. John E Lexington KY

Quotes from the "Lost Supper".

January 18, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |