January 17th, 2010

Ricky Gervais feeling 'a bit ill' before show

testing captions
testing captions

With just a few hours until show time, Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais isn't feeling so hot.

"I’m a bit stuffy with a bit of a temperature," the "Office" creator told CNN. "It’s raining, I’d rather be at home in my pants eating chocolates and getting drunk."

But Ricky couldn't shirk his duties even if he wanted to - "they’ve paid me and I’ve spent it, so I’ve got to do it now," Gervais said.

When asked what he had in store for the night, the host looked a bit puzzled.

“What do you mean preparing,” the British actor asked. “Should I have done some preparing?”

Whatever tricks Gervais has up his sleeve, they're sure to be hilarious.

Filed under: Golden Globes

1. Joan

Ban Ricky Gervais are they crazy, do you know how many people will watch it next year if they have him host it again just too see his act. If they ban him that would be a mistake for ratings.

January 18, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. brenda

ricky gervais is the funniest man on the planet, and i agree they didn't give him nearly enough to do! but they may have been mad at him after his appearance on conan's show earlier in the week. he did not let NBC off the hook for how they're treating conan. the best line of the night was the shot he took at mel gibson. mel took it in good spirits too... maybe he was drunk. ;) by the way, is julia roberts the most self-absorbed twit in hollywood, or what?

January 19, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Paul

Wow, Ricky Gervais is now Ricky G., how cool is that?

Perhaps the Golden Globes are going to make him an even bigger star. Loved his crack about buying a Globe; that could never happen could it?

January 19, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. joni

I thought Ricky G. was rude and stupid. He is NOT funny.

You know, he SHOULD have stayed home in his jammies and gotten drunk! No one would have missed him.
    I didn't like the comments he made towards Paul McCartney, Mel Gibson, Jennifer A., etc.

and his "anatomy" is no one's business and not funny at all...

Don't have him come back next year!

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. liz

Yeah, I thought he was HILARIOUS!!!! Definitely stepped on some toes though, Jennifer Aniston look pretty mad after his comment introducting her. Something to the effect of: speaking of actors who can't move past their careers, here's Rachel from Friends. Wow!! Even when her co-presenter said something about being happy to be there, she just gave a sarcastic "yeah".

January 18, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

Well if you like The Office or Extra's you can thank Ricky Grevais for both of them, He really doesn't have to work now because he has made so much money . He also doesn't have to kiss the studios ass like so many actor/host have to. I thought he did a great job last night, althought I didn't watch it all.

January 18, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SM Kid

The host was just plain not funny! How sad that he had to joke about part of his anatomy to get a "laugh." If he had any talent, he could have been funny without being vulgar.

January 18, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mack 5

Ricky is a pure genius...he had me rolling the whole night ! Especially the one directed at Paul McCartney !

January 18, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. Debra R

Ricky is a breath of fresh air. Loved him!

January 18, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lagunatic

The only problem with his performance was that there wasn't enough of it.
    I kept yelling, "Go Ricky, Go Ricky."
    Yes, that cheer is originally for Ricki Lake, but move over, honey, there's a new Ricky in town.

(that was probably the cheesiest post I've ever written – well, in the top 100 anyway)

January 18, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. citizenUSA

I think Ricky did a great job. Very refreshing from the normal dribble we get. He stepped on some toes for sure. Sir Paul McCartney did not look pleased with Ricky's, "he spent a lot of money last year", comment referring a divorce settlement. At Least Mel Gibson took his shot with good nature. He was looking like, "what'cha gonna do, it's true?" However that's an old story not worth remembering. One thing I don't like about Ricky Gervais is he seems a bit pretencious and a little too big for his shoes.

January 18, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |